NATION

PASSWORD

The Nation Anyone Can Use

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Open World
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

The Nation Anyone Can Use

Postby Open World » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 am

Open World is an experiment in which anyone can use this nation. (The password is 'openworld'.) This is a test as to cooperation between the NationStates community.
In accordance with Commandment 5 of Open World (the 'about' dispatch is here), this chat is specifically so that the nations of the world can come together and discuss what is best for this nation. This is also to announce any change at all you make so people can reach a consensus about it. Here are the guidelines for this chat:
  • You must not argue or blackmail. Make calm points and consider your arguments. There are no time limits, so think wisely.
  • Discuss using your primary nation rather than Open World.
  • Do not use drone nations to back up your opinion. Really this one is unenforcable but in the interests of morality and fairness, please don't.
  • Respect each other's opinions.
And that's it. Enjoy using the Open World!
Last edited by Open World on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Open World
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Open World » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:03 am

Open World wrote:Open World is an experiment in which anyone can use this nation. (The password is 'openworld'.) This is a test as to cooperation between the NationStates community.
In accordance with Commandment 5 of Open World (the 'about' dispatch is here), this chat is specifically so that the nations of the world can come together and discuss what is best for this nation. This is also to announce any change at all you make so people can reach a consensus about it. Here are the guidelines for this chat:
  • You must not argue or blackmail. Make calm points and consider your arguments. There are no time limits, so think wisely.
  • Do not use drone nations to back up your opinion. Really this one is unenforcable but in the interests of morality and fairness, please don't.

Surprise, someone took this nation, changed the password, and claimed it as their own.

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:06 am

Probably should have tagged an authority starter nation...

What if you had a password licked reipgion where people voted how to manage a nation ?

You could elect a “holder” and do all sorts of stuff
Last edited by The JELLEAIN Republic on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the autocorrect be with you...
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a narrative, and narratives don't require masterminds or persian cats.
Male. Lives in USA. Quotes
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 am

Open World wrote:
Open World wrote:Open World is an experiment in which anyone can use this nation. (The password is 'openworld'.) This is a test as to cooperation between the NationStates community.

Surprise, someone took this nation, changed the password, and claimed it as their own.

Also can’t the mods trace ip ?
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a narrative, and narratives don't require masterminds or persian cats.
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 am

The JELLEAIN Republic wrote:Also can’t the mods trace ip ?

The mods aren't obligated to do anything - there are several places where they deliberately and explicitly say "DON'T GIVE OUT YOUR NATION PASSWORD, IT'S A BAD IDEA" and that's exactly what's been done here... To be honest, I'm frankly surprised anyone thought this was a good idea in the first place.

The One Stop Rules Shop wrote:Is sharing nations among multiple players allowed?
It is allowed, but moderation's stance on the act is to avoid it as an unnecessary risk.
The One Stop Rules Shop wrote:Players can share, and will share, and thus they accept the risks that go with it.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Costa Hermosa
Attaché

Founded: May 04, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Costa Hermosa » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:20 am

This seems like a bad idea...
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Hello, I'm [REDACTED] an Estonian and the founder of this magnificent nation. I have interests ranging from books, to Romantic and modern music, to vexillology, cartography, heraldry and the art of worldbuilding.

My 8values results.
I know exactly what I want to do today....
Avid supporter of Jim Browning.

Crazy Dune Fanatic and member of the Dunedom since the 3rd of March, 2020.

Open World
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Open World » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:50 am

Costa Hermosa wrote:This seems like a bad idea...

Indeed it was, and continues to be. As has been previously stated, the original owner of this nation accepted the risk when he/she adopted this “open world” concept for their nation.

Indeed, as it happens, this nation was dead when I originally took it over tonight, I had to revive it, so it’s not like I took something that was being actively utilized, or even wanted.

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:11 am

Open World wrote:
Costa Hermosa wrote:This seems like a bad idea...

Indeed it was, and continues to be. As has been previously stated, the original owner of this nation accepted the risk when he/she adopted this “open world” concept for their nation.

Indeed, as it happens, this nation was dead when I originally took it over tonight, I had to revive it, so it’s not like I took something that was being actively utilized, or even wanted.

Do you wanna say what user you are or is it all anonymous ?

Open World
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Open World » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:32 am

The JELLEAIN Republic wrote:
Open World wrote:

Do you wanna say what user you are or is it all anonymous ?

I invite you to T.G me.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:01 am

Not a good idea.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Kardin Ashema
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kardin Ashema » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:04 am

The only surprise is how long it took.

Kahanistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kahanistan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 am

And we are at a crossroads as to the success of this experiment. If you change the password and claim it as your own, the experiment fails. If you restore the publicly disclosed password and leave it as such, the experiment may succeed. However, it may also be used by trolls or DOS users and fail anyway. The power is now in your hands. With great power comes great responsibility.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Open World wrote:Surprise, someone took this nation, changed the password, and claimed it as their own.

Because it was a bad idea from the start. The very idea puts innocent players at risk of losing their other nations. The final owner is frequently someone who routinely ignores the rules, which risks all the prior users.

Kahanistan wrote:we are at a crossroads as to the success of this experiment.

No, you're traveling a well-trodden path that never works out. We get 5 to 10 of these a year that I'm aware of, probably more. It's been done, it's dumb, and it really needs to stop.

Thread locked.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates