NATION

PASSWORD

The Changing of the Guard (Closed, ATTN: Teremara)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Gragastavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2008
Father Knows Best State

The Changing of the Guard (Closed, ATTN: Teremara)

Postby Gragastavia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Temple of the One
Al-Duhaba, Gragastavia

Covered with only a thin muslin burial shroud, the earthly remains of what was once inhabited by King Friedrich VII of Gragastavia were illuminated by a faint light casting through a small circular window near the rear of the temple. Underneath, his fingers clutched a small silver dagger with gemstones encrusted in the hilt and crossguard that he held vertically on his chest, a piece that would become his personal relic as he was venerated into sainthood, and the one item he would carry with him to present to Polatilus upon entering the afterlife. Huddled around his body were seven Polatilian clerics, recognizable from their gold-embellished vestments and their characteristic white hoods, as well because they were the only ones in the temple who were not wearing their traditional white robes of mourning. They hummed prayers in a hushed tone and marched counterclockwise around the dead king’s body, each of them holding a holy relic over him as they did, in hopes that they might cleanse the impurities in his aura before he ascended.

Set back from this procession on a pedestal overlooking the entire temple and congregation, the prelate - second in the faith to only King Friedrich himself - read another set of prayers aloud, although he did not speak with any measure of power, as the words were not meant to echo through the temple.

Although the temple was built to hold over two-thousand people, the congregation consisted of fewer than a hundred. Before his body was to lie in state, the prelate had recommended a private ceremony for the consecration. Each of them had already been up and to pay their respects, and now, as the attention of the ceremony was turning from earthly affairs to divine affairs, a few mingled, albeit quietly, on the temple floor. Family members, close colleagues and advisors, and some high-ranking clerics that had been invited to attend exchanged memories of the late king, condolences for the loss that they all shared, but there was still a tone of hope and relief among them, as the man who had led their nation through some of its most tumultuous years would finally know peace and be relieved of the pain that had haunted him in his last months of life.

The king had been in complete decline for months by then, and he had been in and out of the hospital for almost three years. The scorns of leadership had certainly taken their toll on his almost skeletal body, but it was a stroke that ultimately killed him. The doctors said that he died immediately, and that he passed peacefully in his sleep, but one of the palace staff that had discovered his body reported to the media that it looked as if he had been struggling against his bedsheets and that he had a contorted look on his face. A report of that nature instantly led to speculation among the tabloids and the darker corners of the government that there had been an intruder, though there was no corroborating evidence. If the king’s death was truly an assassination, though, there was only one man who would benefit: his nephew, Siegfried.

For the first time in Gragastavian history since the Great Revolution, a woman had been made heir to the throne, and this led to upheaval both in the royal family and the Polatilian clergy. Precedent dictated that the king held both the Gragastavian throne and the Grand Patriarchy of the Polatilian Faith, the latter an office that was exclusive to women and non-clerics, of which Josephine, Friedrich’s granddaughter, was both. Siegfried, however, was male and an ordained chaplain at that, and was thought by many to be the obvious choice for ascension to the throne.

The nomination of his successor was Friedrich’s final act as king, and the news of his decision came hot on the heels of the news of his death. Neither Josephine nor Siegfried had spoken prior to the funeral, but as Siegfried slid behind Josephine, he made his position very clear. In a very terse tone of voice, he whispered to her, “I hope you don’t plan to press your claim.”

Keeping her attention fixed on the prelate, she replied, “It’s what His Eminence decreed.”

“His late Eminence.”

Pleased that he had hit a sore spot, considering Josephine’s limited response, Siegfried continued. “Regardless of his decree, you know as well as I do that I am the rightful king. I trust that you’re not naive enough to realize that unlike you, I am in a much better position to put myself on the throne than you are.”

“I will abide by the wishes of our king.” She turned around to look into Siegfried’s haggard face. “The people are with me, and you’re not the king yet.”

“And neither are you,” Siegfried said. “A lot can happen between here and the throne room.”

“Is that a threat?”

“No,” Siegfried said, smirking. “The people are fickle. Very few of them have any real loyalty, and they will always choose the winner. I recommend you play your cards right.”

Josephine watched as Siegfried merged with the rest of the crowd. She knew that he was absolutely right: all things considered, there really was no chance for her to assume the throne. She had the law on her side, but Siegfried had the army. And historically, the side with the more guns usually wins. If President Al-Farsi sided with her, and there was no doubt in Josephine’s mind that she would, then the army would be even further divided than it already was with the civil war.

Josephine rolled her eyes as she half-heartedly watched the prelate. The Gragastavian Regular Army, she thought, Why fight our enemies when we can fight ourselves?

Her thoughts were not far from the truth. The army was one crisis away from crumbling in on itself, and this conflict would severely weaken the fragile stalemate at the front, and maybe even give the South Gragastavians the upper hand. Years of fighting, corrupt and inept leadership, supply problems, and pay backlogs had haunted the army since the outbreak of the war, and well before it. Even Josephine, a captain in the air force, was still owed three months’ back pay before she was put on permanent leave when she had been named for succession. Amid these difficulties in administration, however, Siegfried rose to prominence.

While initially commissioned as a chaplain, Siegfried was transferred (at this request) to infantry command when the Falko-Gragastavian War broke. He distinguished himself in combat and was fast-tracked for a generalship after the war when many of the army’s senior leadership were purged for their affiliation with the Hassanites. Now in charge of his own division, Siegfried became one of the most popular commanders in the entire Gragastavian Regular Army, often using money from his own pocket to pay his men when the normal payroll was backed up. Siegfried’s division had become one of the most effective in the entire army, earning a reputation for aggression in the early days of the conflict, being the last unit to withdraw from South Gragastavia.

By all accounts, Josephine was in over her head, and she knew it. If she stood aside, she would be violating her grandfather’s - and her late father’s - wishes, but if she decided to press her claim, she would plunge the country deeper into its current quagmire.

“In life so as in death shall we be freed from our perils. Our lives are neither ours to give nor ours to keep. In truth, in faith, in triumph, in anguish, in life and in death, there is no more for us than what we are lent, and what we can know is only that which must be known,” the prelate announced to the congregation of mourners. “As Polatilus wills, then so shall it be done.”

“As Polatilus wills, then so shall it be done,” the congregation repeated in unison, before bowing their heads and quietly shuffling out into the sun.

This is a repost from The World Over and Under. I am migrating those posts from that thread to this one for organizational purposes.
Last edited by Gragastavia on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post has been paid for and brought to you by Abdul's Tabbouleh Shack
Abdul's Tabbouleh Shack - For when you need that tasty snack

Gragastavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Gragastavia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Outside the Presidential Palace
Al-Duhaba, Gragastavia

The fighting had not been particularly intense. Even the troops could tell that Siegfried had overestimated the amount of troops that Josephine had managed to sway to her side. Only scattered bands of militia, likely made up of those who sought to exploit the chaos for personal gain, and roving squads of regular soldiers harassed the perimeter that Siegfried established around the presidential palace, where Josephine was holed up.

The presidential guard were proving to be a greater nuisance, though. It only took Siegfried two days to reach Al-Duhaba from the front, and they had managed to turn the presidential palace into a fortress. While the building and its grounds were designed to withstand a prolonged siege, the presidential guard had laid a maze of mines across the gardens surrounding the palace and had numerous weapon emplacements overlooking the whole compound from the palace’s windows. Between that and the minefield, there was also a trench lined with wooden stakes meant to slow down any infantry that managed to both get through the minefield and avoid being hit by either a machine gun, a sniper, shrapnel, or small-arms fire.

At the moment, both sides had agreed to a truce, and Siegfried’s soldiers meandered from their positions in cover to eat and to rest. The rumor had spread down the line that Siegfried and his senior staff were in negotiations with the presidential guard, but no word had yet emerged from his headquarters, a cafe that the owners had kindly lent him the use of in exchange for an exclusive contract to cater for his soldiers. The supposed exclusivity of the contract was lost on a few of the men, however, as bicyclists bearing pizzas, styrofoam boxes, and plastic cutlery soon began to appear in between the scattered vehicles and equipment.

Siegfried watched his men from the second floor of the cafe. He had his hands behind his back, a cigarette resting between his lips. He had been in negotiations for nearly three hours now, and while he had not yet secured his path to the throne, he was getting close. He knew he would wear them down soon, and they would be forced to capitulate. Taking the presidential palace would just be a formality: he had the men and firepower, and the presidential guard knew that as well as he did, but they also both knew that there would be heavy losses on both sides if Siegfried were to attack. The negotiation, however, was a method to prevent unnecessary casualties and perhaps save the nation some international dignity.

“Sir,” an aide said, offering him a clipboard. “Report from Tibrak, sir. The garrison has been mobilized and they’re marching toward us.”

Siegfried looked down at the paper. “Shit,” he said. “This is what I was afraid of.”

President Al-Farsi had reacted faster than he had anticipated. He had left half of his division at the frontline to hold off any South Gragastavian attacks while he made his move on Al-Duhaba. The report, meanwhile, indicated a force twice the size of his was headed his way. There was no way he could defeat them.

Siegfried sighed, then looked up at the aide. “Thank you,” he said. “Tell Safraq I want to see him in my office.”

The aide nodded and stepped away, just as Siegfried made his way to his office. The office was actually a storage closet, but it worked just as well for private conversations. He waited outside for a moment, taking the last few puffs from his cigarette before Safraq, his chief of staff, arrived. They both went in the closet without a word, closing the door behind them. Inside, they stood about a foot apart, the closet illuminated only by a bare bulb dangling precariously from the ceiling.

“Have you seen the report from Tibrak?” Siegfried asked.

“Yes, sir.”

“I know we can’t take them.”

“We have to try,” Safraq said. He had a look of determination on his face, but Siegfried could tell that he was just as uncertain as him.

Siegfried shook his head. “A good commander has to know when he’s going to lose,” he said. “And I’m going to lose. There’s no way out of this. Bringing more troops from the front would weaken our hold, and I’m not about to be king of the ashes. Not that they would get here in time.”

“I’m not sure what you want me to tell you, sir.”

“Tell me something, Safraq,” Siegfried sighed. “Tell me anything.”

Safraq tugged his mustache. “We’re not defeated yet.”

Siegfried frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Sir, our enemy is in the presidential palace. Your new concern is so far in the future that you forget about what’s right in front of you. We should fight our enemy where he is.”

“That may be true, but we can’t afford the losses.”

“We can’t afford the losses if we want to keep Al-Duhaba. With Josephine out of the picture...”

“I’m not killing my cousin!” Siegfried interjected. “I don’t care how many men I have to kill to sit on the throne, but I’m not killing her.”

“That’s the cost of war. We can either wait here for negotiations that will probably go nowhere. If we know that the Tibrak division is on its way, then so do they. I guarantee you they’re thinking up ways to stall.” Safraq shrugged, taking a sharp breath. “It’s either Josephine or us. We can wait here for all the good it will do, while Tibrak marches closer and closer, or we can get what we came here for and get the hell out.”

Siegfried crossed his arms and bowed his head, silent for a moment. Finally, he muttered, “I don’t like it. But you’re right.”

“I think it’s settled then.”

Siegfried nodded to Safraq and surged out of the closet. He cleared his throat and shouted to his staff, “Listen up, folks! We’re taking the presidential palace. Get the company commanders in here in five minutes, and have the artillery on standby.”

“I don’t think you need to do that.” A black-suited man leaning on an umbrella stared at Siegfried from across the room. Despite the heat, his whole demeanor exuded cool collectedness. “May I speak with you for a moment, Your Majesty?”

Siegfried’s stomach did a flip. Though they had never met before, he knew exactly who this man was: Farouk Meraj. This was the man that the director of the GRITS reported to, if such a person was even fathomable. It was said that nothing in the country of Gragastavia happened without Meraj giving his assent. Even the President of Gragastavia had to get permission from him before making any major decisions, or so the rumors went. Siegfried had only heard stories of him, chance encounters in the hallways of government buildings, or in restaurants that the politicians frequented. Their description of him was always the same, though. He wore his dark suit and carried his umbrella as a uniform, regardless of the weather. It was the uniform of the man who ran the country, and perhaps even ran the world.

“Of course,” Siegfried said. “What can I do for you?”

Meraj walked over to Siegfried and took him by the small of his back, leading them into a discreet corner. “Those troops from Tibrak,” Meraj said. “They’re not coming for you… Well, actually they are. But they’re not here to fight you. They’re here to support you.”

Siegfried stared at Meraj, dumbfounded. “What? I thought that General Al-Amanri was against me.”

“He was, but his troops find you much more… palatable than him.”

“Was,” Siegfried repeated. “Is Al-Amanri dead?”

Meraj smiled. “Be sure to read the newspaper tomorrow. You’ll find it was a two-for-one deal.”

“Who was the other?”

“I can’t say, but the leadership shakeup will extend to more than just Al-Amanri’s division and the throne. The GLO are awfully clever at this sort of thing… especially when they have lots of help…” Meraj waited, letting his words sink in. He knew that his implications about his participation with the GLO would be distasteful to Siegfried, so Meraj added, “Rest assured, my future king, that Mr. Halabi is with you.”

Siegfried shook his head. “This is too much. How in the hell do you know all of this?”

“I make it my business to know these things.” Before Siegfried could respond, Meraj threw an arm around his shoulder and began to lead him back to where his staff were congregated. Meraj lowered his voice and Siegfried drew his head in closer. “There’s something else you should know. You remember the tabloids crying foul play about your uncle’s death?”

“Yes.”

“They’re true.” Meraj’s tone became ice cold. “Let this be a warning to you.” He stuck out a finger. “Do as we say, and do not cross us.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“No,” Meraj said, removing his arm from Siegfried’s shoulder. He smiled politely at him, as he raised his voice back to its normal volume and started to step toward the stairwell. “Just some friendly advice, Your Majesty. Now, if you’ll excuse me, sir, I’d like to go pay Josephine a visit. You’ll have their surrender on your desk by tomorrow morning.”

“How will you get past the minefield?”

“It’s not that difficult,” Meraj smirked. “How do you think she got in?”

This post is a repost from The World Over and Under. I am migrating some posts from that thread to this one for organizational purposes.

South Gragastavia
Civilian

Founded: Sep 02, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby South Gragastavia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:44 pm

The Front
Maqhab, Gragastavia

A warm bead of liquid trailed down his forehead. He did not know what was going on; all he could tell was that his vision was cloudy, his throat was irritated, his lungs felt as if they were being incinerated from the inside, and his heart was pounding out of his chest. He struggled to get to his feet, but felt a fatigue in his arms that was impossible to overcome and he slumped deeper into the mud. He craned his neck a little, and could only make out the faint indication of flashes over the lip of the crater. He tried to push himself up again and made it a little higher - enough to see the pool of blood that had collected from the gash in his head - before being jerked up by an unceremonious yank at the straps of his equipment harness. Still dazed, though his sight was returning slowly, he spun around to see the man who pulled him up. He could not make out the man’s face, but he could tell enough that he was an officer. The man shouted something at him and pointed toward the flashes of light in the distance. He could not understand his words, but his intention was clear: he had to keep running. He fumbled about for his rifle, which was still slung over his shoulder, and began again, slowly, toward the lights. The officer surged ahead, shrieking like a madman, and he tried to break into a run to follow. Then, he was stopped by what felt like a massive blow to his chest.

His vision went black, he thought briefly of his wife and of God, then he saw a bright light.

The light was fluorescent, but he could not tell if it was suspended or if it was floating. He was lying on his back with no feeling in his body other than a heaviness in his chest. Everywhere else there was a haze; he could only see the light.

A woman’s voice filtered through the fog that engulfed the room, “Private Mahmoud Aswad.”

Aswad groaned in response, and the voice came closer, “Private Aswad, can you hear me?”

“Yes,” he whispered, “Who are you?”

“My name is Fatima.”

So this is it, he thought, I’m dead. He could feel her presence close to him, near where he thought his legs should be. “Where am I?”

“Al-Barzakh Hospital of Maqhab.”

“Why are you here?”

“I work here.”

That seems reasonable. “Why am I here?”

“You killed someone.”

“Why can’t I see?”

“Wait.”

Aswad could hear a male voice whisper back and forth with Fatima. The words were not clear to him, but he did hear the male voice say, “It’s not his time yet.”

Suddenly, he felt as if he was being lifted by a crane. Through the light, through the ceiling, through the floor above him, through the room, and into the sky.

“Fatima, retraction.”

He felt something move around in his chest.

“Forceps.”

“The patient’s coming around,” another male voice said.

There was a pause, then the first male voice shouted, “Saif, come here!”

Aswad slipped back into the void, but Fatima was still there with him.

“You asked why you can’t see,” Fatima said.

“Yes.”

“Sometimes, there are things that God does not will us to see.”

“Why?”

“It is not our place to know.”

“You have heard of the cosmic opera,” a new voice, a deeper voice, much more powerful than any voice that Aswad had ever heard, said. “This is the cosmic opera. Everyone must play their part, and now the curtain is closing on your final performance.”
Aswad sighed. “What is this show all about?”

“Nothing,” Fatima said.

“And yet, this show is everything,” the deep voice responded.

“I don’t understand,” Aswad felt himself say, though he did not feel confused.

“All that we are meant to know is part of the opera,” Fatima said. “But we cannot know everything.”

“That is why you must have faith, Mahmoud Aswad,” The deep voice said, breathing deeply. “You have played your part, and your faith has been unquestionable.”

Aswad felt a tightening around his chest, and he was yanked up by some invisible harness, not to his body, but above it. He was hovering somewhere close to the ceiling of the operating room. He could see the line of hospital beds and doctors, each laboring over their patients with extreme care. Aswad honed in on his own body, though, and watched as his vital signs began to stagnate. The doctors became frustrated and one ran for a defibrillator. With each shock to his body’s chest, Aswad felt a small twinge, but each successive volt was fainter and fainter.

Then, there was pure silence. He could see the doctors and nurses suddenly deflation as the medical instruments displayed a flat line, but there was no noise. He felt a warmth come over him, or whatever coalescent form he was in. He had no fear, no happiness, no anger. He simply was.

“It is now your time,” the deep voice said, puncturing the silence. “Come forward, my son. Come forward into the light.”

Gragastavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Gragastavia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm

Diefenbach Hall
Al-Duhaba, Gragastavia

A cool wind rustled his dressing gown, a loose affair of translucent cotton tied with a cord at the waist, as he looked out over the sea. The sun had already set, but a few glimpses of light yet lingered at the horizon. His hands were clasped behind his back, and he stared out at the dark waters, his mind adrift in the sea of uncertainty. His succession had been confirmed by the Senate, with the help of one of his most loyal allies who had happened to become the interim president after the assassination of President Al-Farsi, and it was just a matter of time before he would assume the throne.

A relative peace had come to the nation. With news of the assassination and Siegfried’s imminient coronation, the South Gragastavians had agreed to a temporary truce and peace talks had opened up. He had already spoken twice with Harun Halabi over the telephone, and the negotiations were proceeding smoothly. While the Gragastavian delegates were advised to pursue unity at all costs, Siegfried knew better than to think that the South Gragastavians would agree to anything short of independence. Everything south of Maqhab was lost, and that was something that the north would have to accept.

He heard the door open and shut across the room and decided to come in from the balcony. He smiled at the woman who had come in; he knew her well.

She smiled back. Siegfried could tell that she had been traveling all day, but under her tired face and the ravages of age, her face still lit up in the same way that it did when they first met all those years ago.

October 18th, 1989.

She was a nurse at one of the field hospitals in those early days of the civil war. The Falkasians had started their first of many interventions as part of this conflict, and her brigade was assigned to the expeditionary force. It was a chance encounter in the officers’ club at the Tibrak Army Base. Siegfried’s company had just arrived for their furlough where they were to be re-equipped and retrained with the new Falkasian weapons, as well as to rest from fighting at the front. For them both, the month and a half they spent together before Siegfried was redeployed was a whirlwind, but they pledged that they would keep in contact.

And so they had.

“Val,” he said, finally breaking the silence. Immediately, their arms wrapped around one another, and they held each other close to their chest for what seemed like an eternity.

Finally, Val let go and so did Siegfried. Sliding her bag down from her shoulder, she reached in and said, “I have something for you.” She reached in and pulled out a bottle of wine, which she handed to Siegfried.

“Simonov 1986!” he exclaimed, before looking back to Val. “Where did you find this?”

“Well, you know.” Val grinned. “I’m good at finding things. I found you, after all.”

Siegfried laughed. “Do you mean me or this room?”

“You be the judge,” she said, winking. “Anyway, if you’ll get some ice for the champagne, I’d like to get in the shower.”

Siegfried smirked. “I’ll meet you on the bed.”

She slipped away into the bathroom, while Siegfried poked his head out of the door to ask one of the palace staff to put the bottle on ice. He then headed back out to the balcony, once again staring over the now-black waters. He thought about all the work that he had done to get where he was. The years of training, the countless hours in the field, every single battle he had fought in - all of them had led him to this. He was about to become the leader of his nation.

He did not know how much time had passed, but he heard the water turn off and headed back inside.The champagne, now nestled inside a bucket of ice, had reappeared in their suite with two flutes in front of it. He grabbed both the bucket and the flutes and took them over to the bed, setting them on one of the side tables as he waited for Val to emerge from the bathroom.

She came out a short while later and flopped down on the bed next to Siegfried, who handed her a glass. He grabbed the bottle, wiped the condensation on the side of the comforter, and popped the cork. Quickly, he drained off the overflow into his glass, then leaned over to fill Val’s. He set the bottle aside and picked up his glass.

Raising hers, Val said, “To the future of Gragastavia.”

They clinked their glasses and drank, and went silent. Other than a suggestion of moonlight coming through the slits in the shades behind him, the room was dark.

Sighing, as the weight of the situation was starting to hit him, Siegfried said, “I’ll be completely honest. I don’t want to be king.”

Valentina inhaled sharply, clearly shocked by the surprise. “Why were you so determined, then? You certainly had me convinced.”

“Part of being a commander is to never let your men see you doubt yourself,” Siegfried said. He ran his through his hair and down the back of his neck. “I just couldn’t let Josephine take the throne. She would have done nothing for this country. She might even have made it worse. As brilliant of a statesman that my uncle was, his plans were contingent on him staying king forever.” Siegfried laughed dryly, “He almost did.”

“What was the problem?”

“After the war… well, the first part of it… the politicians decided that there should never again be another Muhammad Hassan, so they relinquished some of their authority back to the king. For someone like Friedrich, those additional powers were of no great consequence. He knew how to handle it.”

“But not Josephine,” Val said.

“No.” Siegfried shook his head. “She would try to fix everything that she could. Every problem looks like a nail if all you have is a hammer, as they say.”

“And as they also say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

Siegfried chuckled a little and took a sip from his glass. “I’m going to do something that Josephine or Friedrich would never have done, though: I’m going to hold a referendum.”

“Would you stay as king if they wanted to keep it?”

“I suppose I would have to. It’s as much a referendum on the monarchy as it would be on me.”

Valentina smiled, part of her knowing the answer to her next question. “And what if they said no?”

“Then I would be forced to retire,” Siegfried said, rolling over to face her, careful not to spill any of his champagne. “I’d no longer be a king or a royal or any of that nonsense. I could just be… Siegfried.”

“We could finally get married.”

“Yes,” Siegfried said, a massive smile growing across his face. “We certainly could. Abolishing the monarchy would probably get me disowned anyhow, so I’d have no more relatives to worry about.”

Val laughed and said, “And I never had any to begin with.”

Siegfried smirked and rubbed his eyes. “I’ll talk to my people in the morning to see what we can do. It’ll be a while yet, and there’s still a long road ahead of us, but the end is finally coming in sight.”

“I’ve waited this long already. I will do whatever it takes for us to be together.”

“Then,” Siegfried said, raising his glass again, “Let’s drink to us.”

Return to NationStates