NATION

PASSWORD

The Western Isles Space Station (OOC, TWI Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 pm

So I think we've more or less got the structure down, let's talk about administration. I think we should form a governing body, potentially an organ of the League, which would facilitate the actual operations of a multinational space station, as well as other projects. We're all small enough that it wouldn't be crazy to collaborate on satellites and probes as well.

Of the People, For the People

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Thu May 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Agreed, will the space station be operated from a central command somewhere or there will be multiple sites to monitor the station?

Also, if the altitude of the station is lower than my GNOSIS constellation, we would be able to communicate to the station even if the station is hidden on the other side of the planet by utilizing the web-shaped dish on the satellite as a relay mechanism.

But I'm intrigued with more multinational cooperation in term of space exploration and I see it as highly important when we want to achieve greater goals such as to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Scantarbia wrote:Agreed, will the space station be operated from a central command somewhere or there will be multiple sites to monitor the station?

This actually exposes a weird flaw with the TWI system, that we can have things orbiting over portions of the Earth we don't RP in. I imagine we'd have multiple monitoring stations, and using the GNOSIS system is much more elegant than just handwaving access when it's not over the physical TWI RP area, so I like that idea.

And of note in regards to the potential regional space org is that it is primarily going to be help agencies work together, not become some sort of supranational space agency in its own right. It may develop into that, if people want, but I don't think it's what we need or can organize right now. So it's going to mostly function as a liaison, particularly making sure that affairs involving the RSS are going smoothly.

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 am

Corindia wrote:So I think we've more or less got the structure down, let's talk about administration. I think we should form a governing body, potentially an organ of the League, which would facilitate the actual operations of a multinational space station, as well as other projects. We're all small enough that it wouldn't be crazy to collaborate on satellites and probes as well.

I like the idea of a multilateral governing body. Would make sense given our sizes, improve coordination and (maybe?) make it less political. What about making it an organ of ACESTI? It is a science organisation after all, and this would be a nice way to revive it.
Member of the The Western Isles.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Fri May 31, 2019 3:27 am

Townside wrote:
Corindia wrote:So I think we've more or less got the structure down, let's talk about administration. I think we should form a governing body, potentially an organ of the League, which would facilitate the actual operations of a multinational space station, as well as other projects. We're all small enough that it wouldn't be crazy to collaborate on satellites and probes as well.

I like the idea of a multilateral governing body. Would make sense given our sizes, improve coordination and (maybe?) make it less political. What about making it an organ of ACESTI? It is a science organisation after all, and this would be a nice way to revive it.

I second this.
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 am

Townside wrote:

Is ACESTI itself an organ of the League? Either way, I think it's the right place for it. It's of note that less political is not inherently good from an OOC perspective, as it could lead to some spicy drama between nations

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

Building on the drama between nations point, things like Van making a faulty fire suppression system or other malfunctions would be interesting plot points as well, and looking at the history of Mir and the ISS more likely than not

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am

Corindia wrote:Building on the drama between nations point, things like Van making a faulty fire suppression system or other malfunctions would be interesting plot points as well, and looking at the history of Mir and the ISS more likely than not

Well, there's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_M-34

Probably add false decompression alarm, micrometeorite impact...
Last edited by Scantarbia on Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am

Scantarbia wrote:
Corindia wrote:Building on the drama between nations point, things like Van making a faulty fire suppression system or other malfunctions would be interesting plot points as well, and looking at the history of Mir and the ISS more likely than not

Well, there's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_M-34

Probably add false decompression alarm, micrometeorite impact...

Exactly, we could then have nations blaming each other, maybe claiming sabotage like the Russians did a few months ago, all in all I think there's plenty of room for us to be as cooperative or spiteful as we want

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 am

Having the astronauts stranded with low supplies because our rockets that supposed to deliver supply failed:
https://www.vox.com/2015/4/28/8508569/s ... upply-food
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/iss-supplies

Micrometeorite impact during EVA, could be small punctures to life-threatening issues.
Having to maneuver the station due to debris.
One system randomly fails, EVA required.
Last edited by Scantarbia on Fri May 31, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razzgriz
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Razzgriz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:26 pm

A while back I made a news post about a new launch facility being built in North Point in order to help decrease long-term coasts and the dependency that came with relying on foreign launches for its payloads. This facility, in conjunction with the Isles.net Project, and several other facilities in the GPR could help with this new ISS project and later resupplying missions.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
____ The Empire of the Iszkárien Isles____
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Learn more about it here

Interested in, or want to participate in the Beyond the Isles Project Click here

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Okay, here's all of the station that's accounted for (to the best of my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong). It's perhaps even more crude than usual, so I'll explain a bit. Red modules are accounted for, blue is suggested by me based on what I know about nations, and green is still pretty much open.

Polar, I figured since you have already produced a lab module it would be relatively easy to make another, either on your own or in coordination w someone else.

Scant, I know you've done a lot with solar panels and associated systems if you want to jump on those.

The rest that's in green, the hub and life support/gyrodine/storage modules, are still up for grabs, if anyone (Van, Almorea, Kalmar, Razz) wants to work on one of those

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:00 pm

I might be not following that closely, but what will we use to reboost the station when the orbit eventually decay? Will we have an integrated booster on the station or will it be provided with docking spacecrafts?

Another equipment similar to CanadArm will be great, to capture spacecraft into docking/berthing. And also an equipment to deploy smallsats from inside the station will also comes in handy.

What about I'll tackle all the electrical and cooling systems for the station + radiators, as well as supplying a CanadArm-ish equipment called the ScantArm?

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Scantarbia wrote:I might be not following that closely, but what will we use to reboost the station when the orbit eventually decay? Will we have an integrated booster on the station or will it be provided with docking spacecrafts?

Another equipment similar to CanadArm will be great, to capture spacecraft into docking/berthing. And also an equipment to deploy smallsats from inside the station will also comes in handy.

What about I'll tackle all the electrical and cooling systems for the station + radiators, as well as supplying a CanadArm-ish equipment called the ScantArm?

The fraternite module on the CSJSS had a small booster, that won't change, but even without it visiting orbital vehicles should be sufficient. And a docking arm would be great, especially if we're getting resupplies from the MALLARD.

I'm sure AM would appreciate more smallsat deployment too lol

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I also just realized that in the ISS, the cooling system works in tandem with the life support system, so I were to handle the cooling, I need close collaboration with those who's working on the life support.

Where will we put the robotic arm and the small sat launcher though?

Oh and also! Add a cupola into the thing!

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Scantarbia wrote:I also just realized that in the ISS, the cooling system works in tandem with the life support system, so I were to handle the cooling, I need close collaboration with those who's working on the life support.

life support is still unaccounted for (it's the "top" module), but yeah if those systems are integrated then you can get in on that as well

Scantarbia wrote:Where will we put the robotic arm and the small sat launcher though?

I don't think we need a full canadarm rotating around the base of the truss, but if you want you certainly could do that, I think given the size and radial nature of the station something more like this would be sufficient https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyappa_arm

depending on what's going on w the truss maybe something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextre

As for the small sat launcher, I don't really know where that would fit best. Maybe one of the lab modules?

Scantarbia wrote:Oh and also! Add a cupola into the thing!

We'd have to lose a dock for it, it would certainly be neat though. Considering the top or bottom dock would be difficult to maneuver to compared to the others those would be the ones I'd put on the chopping block first.

EDIT: unless we moved the external equipment to the side of the !kibo module, and put it on the end of that. This would make it easier to service that equipment via an arm on the truss. Hmm...
Last edited by Corindia on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Scantarbia wrote:I also just realized that in the ISS, the cooling system works in tandem with the life support system, so I were to handle the cooling, I need close collaboration with those who's working on the life support.

Given that Townside and I are the regional "CubeSat nations", perhaps in ours?

Furthermore, our module is based on Kibo ad it has these two features.

And my IC constitution

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Athara Magarat wrote:

Given that Townside and I are the regional "CubeSat nations", perhaps in ours?

Furthermore, our module is based on Kibo ad it has these two features.

There'll def be at least one smallish arm for your external experimental beam, there may also be a larger one rotating around the truss and assisting with docking

I didn't know the Kibo had small sat launching capability, but if it does then yeah, that's perfect, just do that
Last edited by Corindia on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Corindia wrote:There'll def be at least one smallish arm for your external experimental beam, there may also be a larger one rotating around the truss and assisting with docking

I'd agree with that.

So two arms, one on the Kibo module serving its external "terrace", and another larger Canadarm2-style arms moving along the truss, assisting in servicing, docking, and performing robotically-assisted EVAs, I'll be doing the latter.

Dothrakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dothrakia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm interested in joining in and maybe supplying one of the remaining modules we need. Do we have a list somewhere of what we have and what we need/want?

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:06 am

Corindia wrote:There'll def be at least one smallish arm for your external experimental beam, there may also be a larger one rotating around the truss and assisting with docking

I didn't know the Kibo had small sat launching capability, but if it does then yeah, that's perfect, just do that

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/p ... ocube.html

And my IC constitution

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am

Dothrakia wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm interested in joining in and maybe supplying one of the remaining modules we need. Do we have a list somewhere of what we have and what we need/want?

viewtopic.php?p=35777014#p35777014
this is probably the closest thing we have to a wish list, rn we need a hub module, maybe a lab module, and maybe someone to work on life support alongside Scant

Athara Magarat wrote:

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/p ... ocube.html

Looks good!

Dothrakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dothrakia » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Corindia wrote:
Dothrakia wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party but I'm interested in joining in and maybe supplying one of the remaining modules we need. Do we have a list somewhere of what we have and what we need/want?

viewtopic.php?p=35777014#p35777014
this is probably the closest thing we have to a wish list, rn we need a hub module, maybe a lab module, and maybe someone to work on life support alongside Scant

Looks good!

I can take on the Hub Module.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:05 am

Dothrakia wrote:
Corindia wrote:viewtopic.php?p=35777014#p35777014

Looks good!

I can take on the Hub Module.

Okay great, I think that mostly covers the larger parts, and we can have nations pick up smaller subsystems later as needed. Should we start talking about this IC in the League or ACESTI now?

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Umm, where?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates