NATION

PASSWORD

The Western Isles Space Station (OOC, TWI Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alteran Republics » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Corindia wrote:I'm not necessarily certain the heavy lifting is covered, I know Aizcona, me, and a few others have that capacity but we still haven't divvied up exactly who's launching what. Actually, let's get that sorted rn, I'll make a list.

Essential for habitation:
Hub module (Dothrakia) Dothrakia
"North" life support module (Miklania + Scant with some of the life support) Miklania
"East" habitation module (Corindia) Corindia
Solar panel assembly x 1 (Scantarbia)
Heat dissipators, ScantARM (Scantarbia)

Nice to have:
Solar panel assembly x 3 (Scantarbia)
“South” lab module (Aizcona)
"West" science module (Townside and AM)
External Truss (Brulafi)

Welp, I'll say it now and I'll say it again - we're good with heavy lifting and supply runs. Any of the modules can go up in the tandem Scheme 7 launch, and supply runs can be a Scheme 9 piggying back on the Scheme 7.

GOV.ALT
| Home | Overview | History | Economics | Government | Military | Language |
The Portal to the Alteran Intranet
Proud member of The Western Isles.
32 - M - Libertarian - Civil Servant

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Alteran Republics wrote:
Corindia wrote:I'm not necessarily certain the heavy lifting is covered, I know Aizcona, me, and a few others have that capacity but we still haven't divvied up exactly who's launching what. Actually, let's get that sorted rn, I'll make a list.

Essential for habitation:
Hub module (Dothrakia) Dothrakia
"North" life support module (Miklania + Scant with some of the life support) Miklania
"East" habitation module (Corindia) Corindia
Solar panel assembly x 1 (Scantarbia)
Heat dissipators, ScantARM (Scantarbia)

Nice to have:
Solar panel assembly x 3 (Scantarbia)
“South” lab module (Aizcona)
"West" science module (Townside and AM)
External Truss (Brulafi)

Welp, I'll say it now and I'll say it again - we're good with heavy lifting and supply runs. Any of the modules can go up in the tandem Scheme 7 launch, and supply runs can be a Scheme 9 piggying back on the Scheme 7.

I know! I just want to make sure people who are making modules get a chance to say whether or not they can launch theirs so they don't feel left out! But can I put you down for some solar panels for now?

Of the People, For the People

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Isn't the panels built-in to the module? Or, they are in their own separate trusses? Any other way, I do have the capability to launch them, just need to get the factbook sorted out.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Scantarbia wrote:Isn't the panels built-in to the module? Or, they are in their own separate trusses? Any other way, I do have the capability to launch them, just need to get the factbook sorted out.

I assumed they were separate, I doubt we could telescope or fold something that large into something small enough to fit on top of a rocket while attached to a module

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alteran Republics » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:03 am

Corindia wrote:I know! I just want to make sure people who are making modules get a chance to say whether or not they can launch theirs so they don't feel left out! But can I put you down for some solar panels for now?

Alright, thanks - just wanted to be sure I wasn't forgotten. Eager to take part in this - I'm a little bummed out at myself, that I wasn't able to plan a module at the time. Maybe something in the future though.
Last edited by Alteran Republics on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GOV.ALT

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Alteran Republics wrote:
Corindia wrote:I know! I just want to make sure people who are making modules get a chance to say whether or not they can launch theirs so they don't feel left out! But can I put you down for some solar panels for now?

Alright, thanks - just wanted to be sure I wasn't forgotten. Eager to take part in this - I'm a little bummed out at myself, that I wasn't able to plan a module at the time. Maybe something in the future though.

If you see someone CTE lmk so we can get you more proper representation. And if you're interested in adding an inflatable module at some point I think we could do that too.

Dothrakia, how do you feel about doing a newspost launching the hub soon?

Dothrakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dothrakia » Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 am

Corindia wrote:
Alteran Republics wrote:Alright, thanks - just wanted to be sure I wasn't forgotten. Eager to take part in this - I'm a little bummed out at myself, that I wasn't able to plan a module at the time. Maybe something in the future though.

If you see someone CTE lmk so we can get you more proper representation. And if you're interested in adding an inflatable module at some point I think we could do that too.

Dothrakia, how do you feel about doing a newspost launching the hub soon?

Yea I'll draw it up today and tomorrow and get it out hopefully over the weekend

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am

Hey all, I made this real quick so we can have some graphics for news posts. It's a little crude but it gets the point across

non shrunk version: https://imgur.com/Lgcbzw7
Last edited by Corindia on Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Sat May 23, 2020 10:04 am

are you sure we'll have enough power with only one of the arrays during phase one?

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sat May 23, 2020 10:28 am

Scantarbia wrote:are you sure we'll have enough power with only one of the arrays during phase one?

I'm not sure one way or the other. Two would certainly be safer, so we can add another assembly to phase one. I sort of don't want to change the diagram tho

Ioudaia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Corindia wrote:[a fancy diagram]

This looks really nice! Thanks, Corindia!

We've conducted a test flight of our manned ship, so we're more or less on schedule too.

BTW, does anybody else have an unmanned space exploration program? We're looking for partners both for scientific cooperation treaties and joint missions.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 pm

good job on the hub launch Dothrakia, I'll do the fraternite habitation module next. Altera, would you be interested in launching it?

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alteran Republics » Thu May 28, 2020 3:12 am

Corindia wrote:good job on the hub launch Dothrakia, I'll do the fraternite habitation module next. Altera, would you be interested in launching it?

Most definitely; if possible, could you point me to the dimensions and weight so I can determine which launch platform I should be using?

GOV.ALT

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 am

Alteran Republics wrote:
Corindia wrote:good job on the hub launch Dothrakia, I'll do the fraternite habitation module next. Altera, would you be interested in launching it?

Most definitely; if possible, could you point me to the dimensions and weight so I can determine which launch platform I should be using?

Using Skylab as a reference point (bc that's what it was based on), it's 7 m in diameter by 25.1 m long, and accounting for improvements in weight saving, 18,000kg.

The original Skylab was 77,000kg and was launched by a Saturn V, which is sort of nuts. ISS modules put that density to shame, and honestly we should be able to do better than that still
Last edited by Corindia on Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alteran Republics » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:29 am

Corindia wrote:
Alteran Republics wrote:Most definitely; if possible, could you point me to the dimensions and weight so I can determine which launch platform I should be using?

Using Skylab as a reference point (bc that's what it was based on), it's 7 m in diameter by 25.1 m long, and accounting for improvements in weight saving, 18,000kg.

The original Skylab was 77,000kg and was launched by a Saturn V, which is sort of nuts. ISS modules put that density to shame, and honestly we should be able to do better than that still

As it's 25m long, I'll send it up in a MALLARD as part of a tandem launch:

I'll produce a news post in the coming days; could you tell me a bit about the module - where it was produced, it's function, name, construction date, and so forth ... Just to fluff out an article.
Last edited by Alteran Republics on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

GOV.ALT

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Alteran Republics wrote:
Corindia wrote:Using Skylab as a reference point (bc that's what it was based on), it's 7 m in diameter by 25.1 m long, and accounting for improvements in weight saving, 18,000kg.

As it's 25m long, I'll send it up in a MALLARD as part of a tandem launch:

I'll produce a news post in the coming days; could you tell me a bit about the module - where it was produced, it's function, name, construction date, and so forth ... Just to fluff out an article.

The Fraternité-3 (the third module of its type launched, the first being solo, the second being part of the CAJSS) is a habitation module, so it includes the sleeping rigs, living quarters, bathroom facilities, and other such "amenities". The actual construction, a joint effort between CALA engineers and Acelias, Aeromada, and Corindi Dynamics took place in 2019, with significant modifications being made following feedback on the Fraternité-2. The docking port that was used in the previous module attached to the CAJSS has been copied and repeated at several points on the station as a whole since it's been proven to work. The framework of a Fraternité-4 has already begun construction to be kept on standby in the case of emergency, and if there isn't one, to go on to be part of a planned lunar station which is over a decade away.

Would you mind launching it after the seventh, but claim that it was going to launch before the seventh but had a weather delay? Sort of specific but I want to tie the launch into the Corindi elections.

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 am

I can launch the solar arrays using the Hecate-class unmanned shuttles, but I'll need crews onboard the station to perform EVA to aid in rendezvous and the installation of the solar arrays/

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Scantarbia wrote:I can launch the solar arrays using the Hecate-class unmanned shuttles, but I'll need crews onboard the station to perform EVA to aid in rendezvous and the installation of the solar arrays/

I think that's perfectly doable, we can just have an orbital vehicle docked there if the station hasn't achieved a minimum level of habitability, which I assume it wouldn't pre panels.

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alteran Republics » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:57 pm

I'll write up the news post tomorrow. Just want to check though, does the station currently have a manoeuvring arm to help attach the modules, or will that need to be installed at a later date?

GOV.ALT

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Alteran Republics wrote:I'll write up the news post tomorrow. Just want to check though, does the station currently have a manoeuvring arm to help attach the modules, or will that need to be installed at a later date?

It doesn't have the arm yet.

Alteran Republics
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alteran Republics » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:00 pm

Corindia wrote:
Alteran Republics wrote:I'll write up the news post tomorrow. Just want to check though, does the station currently have a maneuvering arm to help attach the modules, or will that need to be installed at a later date?

It doesn't have the arm yet.

Alright, we'll use the MALLARD's deployment arm to help move it into position.

GOV.ALT

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Since Dothrakia and Corindia's modules are in space now, I guess Towns and I wait for Miklania and Scantarbia before Samudera Module is launched by Alteran Republics?
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Serpens Land
Envoy

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Serpens Land » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:58 pm

This looks very interesting, how can I get involved? I haven't made a dispatch about my space program yet, but I mention it briefly in my air force factbook
Quod cito fit, cito perit
Proud member of The Western Isles

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 am

Athara Magarat wrote:Since Dothrakia and Corindia's modules are in space now, I guess Towns and I wait for Miklania and Scantarbia before Samudera Module is launched by Alteran Republics?

That's correct, we're doing modules necessary for habitation first

Serpens Land wrote:This looks very interesting, how can I get involved? I haven't made a dispatch about my space program yet, but I mention it briefly in my air force factbook

major structural modules are accounted for, but you can get involved in internal/external experiments, transport to the station, as well systems on the station that simply haven't been specifically detailed yet (you can be as creative/granular in the latter regard as you want as long as it's realistic).

Razzgriz
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2014

Postby Razzgriz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Is it possible for Razzgriz to join in on this project?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
____ The Empire of the Iszkárien Isles____
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Learn more about it here

Interested in, or want to participate in the Beyond the Isles Project Click here

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates