NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Argus Wars (Nationbuilding | TWI Only | Relaunch)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dormill and Stiura
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm back!!! And I apologize for being away for so long with this project, I felt it was already done and most of us had integrated this to our histories and moved on. However, something came up (at the time of writing) a few moments ago, and it was too interesting for me to pass up when I heard it.

So Athara Magarat had proposed that the Third Central Argus War be triggered by a !Franz Ferdinand situation in Dormill and Stiura, starting a war of succession between Noronica and another claimant (currently I've heard that Razzgriz has expressed interest in being the other claimant and that's how I'll write it) that spirals out into both that war, and the Great Gael War which would have overlapped it otherwise. So I want to propose a new timeline, or if you're reading this on the Great Argus Wars thread, just the timeline of events that I already wrote for the Great Gael War thread so I can save myself some time.

• 1893: Verdon Invades Ostehaar by sea, catching the young nation off-guard and undefended. A brief battle opens up nearly all of Southern Ostehaar to Verdonian conquest.
  • 1894: Dormill and Stiura, seeing the invasion as an open invitation to follow suit, invades Ostehaar and forms a three-way front between itself, the Osters, and the Verdonians.
  • 1895: The Treaty of Sertomir and the Treaty of Waalwijk are signed establishing Verdonian and Dormill-Stiruaian zones of control in Ostehaar respectively, no treaty is signed between the United Republics and Verdon, starting an unspoken war between the two over makeshift trenches.
  • 1901: The Peace of Rio Pena effectively ends Dormill-Stiuraian dominion over eastern Argus, this devastating political defeat drives President Nicholas Favre to double his efforts against Verdonian occupied Ostehaar, to little avail as the nation lacks the finances to start another war as soon as the last one.
  • 1905: The Canal War begins, with Dormill and Stiura fighting the Khas-Kirat for control over the Central Argus Canal. Verdon (likely) intervenes in the favor of the Magarati, forcing the Dormill-Stiuraians to focus their efforts in Gael rather than in Argus, eventually resulting in yet another peace.
  • 1908: Revolution stirs in Dormill and Stiura as President Favre tries everything he can to assert the power of Dormill and Stiura, and again initiates new operations in Ostehaar to much the same lack of success as before, facing resistance at home, the National Congress steps in and pulls troops back to the border, making overtures of peace with Verdon that temporarily eases the situation.
  • September, 1909: The Revolution against Favre begins, causing turmoil along the Dormill-Stiuraian lines, little progress is made by the Republicans over the winter as Verdon reinforces itself in better positions.
  • November 11, 1909: Tilija Hangma, last living member of the Magarati House of Mgar at the time, is killed in Courlaroux by an unknown bullet during the fighting. She was there to ease the relationship between the Untied Republics and her Empire. Her death would precipitate across the Isles as several would-be Hangs begin vying for the throne.
  • 1910: Dieudonne Blaise is elected President, and continues to make overtures of peace with Verdon and Ostehaar, seeing that the Khas-Kirat Succession Crisis is on the verge of becoming a Succession War, threatening Dormill and Stiura's position in Argus.
  • Summer 1910: After tense negotiations in Nolon City, the United Republics formally grants support to the Overlord in the succession. Secret discussions between President Blaise and Prime Minister Harold McKenzie also concern the situation in Miklania, but end inconclusively.
  • Late Summer 1910: Fearful of the power of the Republican-Noronnican Alliance, Verdon begins diplomatic overtures with Razzgirz. Both nations already desired to see an end to Dormill and Stiura's presence in the Southern Sea, and the succession crisis between Razzgirz and Noronica galvanized an alliance between them.
  • 1911: The lines are drawn between a third Triumvirate of Dormill and Stiura, Noronica, and X and the Western Eterna Coalition of Verdon, Razzgirz, and Roendavar, war seems inevitable but neither side has pulled the trigger yet.
  • March 1911: In an effort to end the war before it begins, Dormill and Stiura begins a blockade in the Southern Sea, specifically targeting ships of the Coalition and forcing them away.
  • April 5, 1911: Unwilling to be the belligerents in the war, the Coalition deploys Merchant Raiders against the Dormill-Stiuraian blockade, forcing the DSN to sink three ships, damaging another two, and forcing the rest away.
  • April 6, 1911: Using the attack against the Merchant Raiders as a casus belli, claiming that the ships were unarmed, Verdon declares war on Dormill and Stiura. Razzgirz, the same day, declares war against Noronica to claim the Khas-Kirat throne, beginning the War of the Khas-Kirat Succession (also remembered as the Great Gael War in Gael, and the Third Central Argus War in Argus).
  • 1913: The first two years come and go, the situation in Ostehaar has turned to the advantage of Verdon while the Verdonian heartland are coming under the bombing sights of Dormill and Stiura's new air force following the successful invasion of Roendavar.
  • 1914: The War in Argus progresses for Noronica, aided by Dormill-Stiuraian forces pulled away from Gael after intense fighting in Ostehaar. In Gael the front has stabilized on all sides, only the naval war remains a fluid battle with both the Noronnican and Dormill-Stiuraian Southern Sea Fleets try to push back the Western Eterna fleets and begin a blockade.
  • 1915: With even less movement on the front in Gael, the two sides begin to consider peace, and talks begin in the presence of a ceasefire. In Argus, however, no such ceasefire comes as more nations become involved in the conflict, pulling more resources away from Gael.
  • 1916: The Second Miklanian Civil War ends in defeat for Noronica, its fleets in the far west crippled. The situation causes a crisis in the government of Noronica, leading to the United Republics briefly taking over operations in Athara Magarat. In Gael, the ceasefire holds tenuously, even the naval conflict has died down to some extent with the two sides infrequently allowing for the movement of supplies between them.
  • 1918: In Argus, the War is nearly over. The Third Central Argus Coalition had been decisively defeated in battle and there are already talks that they will come with terms. Athara Magarat has been secured, and the Overlord was finally placed on the Khas-Kirat throne.
  • 1920: The War in Gael suddenly heats up again as Razzgirz, still at war with the Triumvirate, attempts to instigate an Ipachi Uprising in Dormill-Stiuraian Samudera, Dormill and Stiura responds by sending the DSN deep into Osean waters and shelling two Osean cities.
  • 1925: Five more years passed, although no permanent peace has been reached, a second ceasefire was reached between the sides in the War in Gael, peace was achieved in Argus through the Treaty of Lituvo, which recognized the Overlord of Noronica as Hangma of the Khas-Kirat Empire and otherwise ended the conflict without reparations demanded on either side, rendering the Third Central Argus War over. Later on, just before the Second Oster War begins, a new round of talks gains significant ground, but its members are killed by Osters disguised as each other's bodyguards, beginning the Second Oster War.
  • 1927: After significant losses on all three sides, a permanent peace of status quo ante bellum is adopted, restoring the borders of Ostehaar and Verdon, additionally levying reparations from both Verdon and Dormill and Stiura to Ostehaar. Separate settlements are made between the allies of the three powers are made through 1930 These settlements would officially end the Great Gael War and the Khas-Kirat Succession War.
Last edited by Dormill and Stiura on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Liberty, Justice, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021
Oh Night Unholy
Shadow
Terror
Inferno (Coming Soon)

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ath ... id=1142754

Link to the so-called House of Mgar.

The hangates of the Khas-Kirat Empire, as electors, would be divided over whom to elect (no use of a succession war if there's no divisions between the electors :P ). The northerners led by Arun Valley (who had long-standing marriages with the Noronnican royal family) would support Noronica (who already have Myagdi Island, a Noronnican-Magarati hanagte, within the empire) while the southerners led by Second Tamsaling Hangate (whose 17th Century ruler, the then Mahang, Moktan Hang had been blood brother of the prince of Tachil and intermarried with the Osean Ran dynasty) would support Razzgriz (who also hold city-states of Unovi and Yitoria; territories within the empire).
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Torom
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Torom » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Tagg

Dormill and Stiura
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:38 pm

There's a big edit in the OP, finally took the time to add some details to the Keverai Expedition and the Second Central Argus War.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Liberty, Justice, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021
Oh Night Unholy
Shadow
Terror
Inferno (Coming Soon)

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 am

Now that ya boy is in Argus, I'd like to say that I'm interested in fitting into the Third Central Argus War somehow.
⬛⬛
Proud member of The Western Isles. Check it out!

I do not use NS stats.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

Dormill and Stiura, can you edit the Battle of Torres to include this? This was already agreed upon in the old thread. I just did half the battle with WIP and completed it now.

Battle of Torres - 1864

Emboldened by the retreat of the San Montagnan-Marian squadron from Messejanan Bay and using their violation of Totzkan waters as a casus belli, the Viceroyalty of the Rio do Ouro decided to enter the war on the side of the Coalition. Prior to the war, tensions had been building between Dragao do Mar and Rio do Ouro (in modern-day South Totzka) over the territories of Terras das Picos and Yhaiva. The viceroyalty's leadership sent word to Serangchongbang Hang, who was still leading the Coalition troops in Torom, that they planned to launch an invasion of the provinces of Messejana and Parangaba; allowing Khas-Kirati hangates to invade from the east. This delighted the Mahang, who tasked western hangates of the Khas-Kirat Empire to start invading Dragao do Mar.

However, things were not to go as planned by the Mahang. Two significant armies, Hangate of Sinja's Nine Khas Gun and Liba Hangate's Four Kham Gun, were heavily involved in securing the eastern front at the International District against constant Dormill-Stiuraian offensive. The Chathaese army was heavily outnumbered and outgunned by the San Montagnans. Second Tamuwan Hangate's Nine Gyarong Gun, who had occupied the San Montagnan city of San Luca as their base of operations, were supporting the Chathaese defense while also launching attacks on enemy cities. Serangchongbang Hang even considered sending the Coalition troops stationed in Torom to eastern Dragao do Mar but there was still the army of Marubhumi Hangate as an option. However, this particular hangate did not have a navy of its own and their hang, not wanting to send his troops into an unfamiliar place, instead wrote back to the Mahang that his forces would take charge of the Coalition operation in Chatha and San Montagna while the Second Tamuwan Hangate, which still had a decent navy, could land its army in eastern Dragao do Mar. Serangchongbang Hang wanted the invasion of Dragao do Mar to take place as soon as possible and readily agreed to this plan without consulting the Nine Gyarong Gun.

Senior Kaji Hang and his son Last Kaji Ghale set sail for Torres with their Tamuwani forces. The Marian provinces of Messejana and Parangaba had already been invaded by Rio do Ouro and the Marian army busy defending these attacks. This made it relatively easier for the Nine Gyarong Gun to take over Torres and Santiago in rapid succession. However, they were unable to take the well-defended city of Fortaleza. Since the viceroyalty did not have its own navy, the Tamuwani squadron was sent south in Messejana and Parangaba, where much of the fighting was taking place, to support them. Only the ironclad vessel Sayara remained docked in Torres.

On the morning of January 7th, 1864; the Triumvirate army of 10,000 Dormill-Stiuraians and 5,000 Domananians landed in Meireles and rallied roughly 5,000 local Marians. This Triumvirate force swiftly marched down to Torres where roughly 5,000 Tamuwanis under Last Kaji Ghale were present while another 5,000 soldiers under his father stood guard outside the city. In the early morning of the 10th, Domananian artillery bombarded Torres and this was followed by a Triumvirate charge. The Sayara fired her guns but that did not prove enough to halt the enemy forces. Thirteen minutes after the charge, the infantry had already seized control of the first line of defense of the redoubts.

A total massacre of the retreating troops was avoided and the Triumvirate advance was halted by the counterattack from the Nine Gyarong Gun's 8th Battalion; until a Dormill-Stiuraian attack threw them back. In that counterattack, the 8th Battalion lost about half its men including Senior Kaji Hang. This allowed the remnants of the Nine Gyarong Gun to march all the way from Torres to South Totzka (where the bulk of the Tamuwani navy that could transport them home were present).

A contemporary Nine Gyarong Gun officer listed the a much larger casualty at 3,100 Tamuwani (with 1,200 captured), 980 Marians, 670 Dormill-Stiuraians and 470 Domans at the battle. Also, the crew of the ironclad Sayara suffered one dead, 10 wounded. In the march from Torres to South Totzka, almost 4,000 went missing, killed on the way or captured by Marians. Less than 3,000 Tamuwani made it out alive from Dragao do Mar.
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

And my IC constitution

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 am

During the existence of the Second Austrovik Republic, Maritime influence was a key feature of the republic's foreign policy. The First Consul at the time, Frederick Wilhelm, had an obsession with ships at a young age, and demanded the creation of the Navy of the the Republic (Marine der Republik). I think maybe this new navy, which by 1857 included three ironclad armoured frigates, each with 40 guns. I think maybe this new, opportunistic and aggressive navy could have an impact on the Great Argus Wars somehow?
Proud and British member of the New World Union
Government: Should act in the name of the people but have no restrictions to do so

On democracy: Democracy should be a pinnacle to set national opinion but uneducated individuals should not be allowed to vote

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm

Austrovik-Germania wrote:During the existence of the Second Austrovik Republic, Maritime influence was a key feature of the republic's foreign policy. The First Consul at the time, Frederick Wilhelm, had an obsession with ships at a young age, and demanded the creation of the Navy of the the Republic (Marine der Republik). I think maybe this new navy, which by 1857 included three ironclad armoured frigates, each with 40 guns. I think maybe this new, opportunistic and aggressive navy could have an impact on the Great Argus Wars somehow?

On which side do you want to fight? The Coalition? Or the Triumvirate?

And my IC constitution

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:11 am

Athara Magarat wrote:
Austrovik-Germania wrote:During the existence of the Second Austrovik Republic, Maritime influence was a key feature of the republic's foreign policy. The First Consul at the time, Frederick Wilhelm, had an obsession with ships at a young age, and demanded the creation of the Navy of the the Republic (Marine der Republik). I think maybe this new navy, which by 1857 included three ironclad armoured frigates, each with 40 guns. I think maybe this new, opportunistic and aggressive navy could have an impact on the Great Argus Wars somehow?

On which side do you want to fight? The Coalition? Or the Triumvirate?

I think I'll need to do more research into the sides, but effectively I wanted to sort of remain a faction member that was rather lazy. I also think possibly that it would be better for me to get involved during the very early 1900s
Proud and British member of the New World Union
Government: Should act in the name of the people but have no restrictions to do so

On democracy: Democracy should be a pinnacle to set national opinion but uneducated individuals should not be allowed to vote

Tracera
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tracera » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 am

I think I should have some role in this since I'm in Northern Argus

Dothrakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dothrakia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Could we get a map going for this war like we have for IW.
Also I believe I'm entering this war on the Coalition side as I would be aligned with Razzgriz

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:35 am

Dothrakia wrote:Could we get a map going for this war like we have for IW.
Also I believe I'm entering this war on the Coalition side as I would be aligned with Razzgriz

Let's start with the Great Gael War.

And my IC constitution

Polar Svalbard
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Polar Svalbard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 am

Hey so with DS no longer a part of cannon where are we with these wars. I feel as though Polar Svalbard can take up some positions if needed.
Member of The Western Isles
Svalbardian international policy summarized: "Shoot first, hope that no one asks questions later." - Linaviar

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 am

Polar Svalbard wrote:Hey so with DS no longer a part of cannon where are we with these wars. I feel as though Polar Svalbard can take up some positions if needed.

So many things. Which is why I am saying that we start with Third Central Argus War / Great Gael War first.

And my IC constitution

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Don't forget, I gotta be part of the Central Argus Wars.
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 am

Brulafi wrote:Don't forget, I gotta be part of the Central Argus Wars.

On whose side?

And my IC constitution

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:18 am

Athara Magarat wrote:
Brulafi wrote:Don't forget, I gotta be part of the Central Argus Wars.

On whose side?

What even are the sides, now that D+S is gone?
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Aizcona
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aizcona » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:03 pm

I'd defintely like to play a major role in this. Although now that DS is out of the region it might be a good idea AM for you to start a new thread on the topic.
President of The Western Isles

"You're a decent guy with enough personality quirks to keep you interesting, yet tolerable to talk to."
"Polar's all like "I like you as a friend" but that feels empty. Polar would say that to a kitten he just met because he's just a really nice friendly optimist (which I like about him)"

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Aizcona wrote:I'd defintely like to play a major role in this. Although now that DS is out of the region it might be a good idea AM for you to start a new thread on the topic.

All in favor of restarting this?

Perhaps, we should define the line along of monarchies vs republics?
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And my IC constitution

Aizcona
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aizcona » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 pm

That could be quite interesting
President of The Western Isles

"You're a decent guy with enough personality quirks to keep you interesting, yet tolerable to talk to."
"Polar's all like "I like you as a friend" but that feels empty. Polar would say that to a kitten he just met because he's just a really nice friendly optimist (which I like about him)"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates