NATION

PASSWORD

The Reception [IC/MT]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Knessniet wrote:'What a interesting little gem! I don't wear much that requires a brooch, but I'll keep it handy. I suppose I should have the servants fetch your gift. Servant!", with that a servant picked up a box, and brought it over. The Duke presented it to her. "This contains two bars of bullion from our Mint, each a 10 Troy ounce bar. One is silver, and the other is gold. We have quite the program set up for the purchase of this, if your country is interested." He was quite happy with his choice. He was quite proud of the new minting program, and he intended to introduce his Minister of Trade at one point.

"My!" Hrosvitha exclaimed as she graciously accepted the gift. "We are very thankful for this gift, your grace. I will most definitely share it with the Domestic Representative and discuss if any such trade or deals may benefit our two nations. If it interests you." She curtsied before placing the box in her purse, finding it slightly heavier than the brooch, but remaining graceful under pressure.

"I hope I was not too late for any of the entertainment? Issues at home has required my presence before I could depart." She apologized profusely as she bowed once more to the regal gentleman before her.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:27 pm

"Oh, no! The band hasn't even started yet. Also, we would adore such a trade deal.", the Duke said. "So, tell me about your home. I am most interested."

As he said this, a servant came with a bottle and a champagne flute. "Champagne, my lady?", he asked.

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm

"Bulak-Alimyon," She took a sip from the champagne she accepted. The fine flavors of the alcohol, a pleasant taste on the tongue. "We are a small nation that was born from years of trade with other regions and political marriages that sewn us together to what we are now. A nation of sharp mountains, rolling hills, and sandy beaches of all color. Our people live harmoniously, and just like any other nation, would like to gain renown." She finished.

She paused, wondering what else to say that would not sound like some advert from the tourism campaigns they have tried to encourage as of late. "What about your land, your grace? I am aware of what your land is like, but I would be just as pleased to hear it from the lovely timbre of your voice." She complimented respectfully, with a small shy smile.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Bulak-Alimyon wrote:"Bulak-Alimyon," She took a sip from the champagne she accepted. The fine flavors of the alcohol, a pleasant taste on the tongue. "We are a small nation that was born from years of trade with other regions and political marriages that sewn us together to what we are now. A nation of sharp mountains, rolling hills, and sandy beaches of all color. Our people live harmoniously, and just like any other nation, would like to gain renown." She finished.

She paused, wondering what else to say that would not sound like some advert from the tourism campaigns they have tried to encourage as of late. "What about your land, your grace? I am aware of what your land is like, but I would be just as pleased to hear it from the lovely timbre of your voice." She complimented respectfully, with a small shy smile.

"My land? Well, it isn't the prettiest, but that is my fault. For I have made it the epitome of production. Industry above all. You see, a feudal system, combined with modern technology and techniques, is extremely good for production. For our small nation, we have built a substantial army, and an industrial hub. We, of course, also value the finer things, like history. I have amassed quite the collection of artifacts from our history. From the saber presented to Herman IX by Jefferson Davis, to the original copy of the Knessian Chronicle, I have collected every important item, and I am currently constructing a museum to make them available to the public. For now, they remain in my vaults.", the Duke said, "Now, I'm terribly sorry if I lectured you a little too much, the history of this nation is my greatest interest. Now, do you have any questions perhaps?"

He liked this woman. She was much more pleasant than the communist he had ejected. He accepted a glass of champagne from a servant. He had remained sober until now, but he had to have at least one drink that night.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Founded: Sep 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Knessniet wrote:"It is my pleasure. The proper way to address a Grand Duke varies by nation, but I assume the style of most dukes, 'Your Grace'.", the Duke said, happy that this wasn't another communist. "Now, what is this gift?"

Aeraig bowed once more. "Your Grace. A fine style, may I say, though somewhat unusual to my ears." By this point, Fragtaon had shown himself behind the Gērasir, and Aeraig straightened up. "Ah, Your Grace. The gifts are ready. My Aide chose the fine gifts we shall give, and they represent a cross-section of Tauriyaeca production. For we are a somewhat agrarian nation, though our products are of a fine quality." Aeraig made a short gesture to Fragtaon, who absented himself once more and returned with a large glass container, filled with greenish liquid, small pieces of various vegetables and a very large fish.

"Your Grace, a Tauriyaeca Lion-Shark. Very pleasant meat, caught by our lowest culture, the Goctau, and kept within salt water for freshness. I hope you find it to your tastes." Aeraig bowed to the Grand Duke, placing the container on the ground as Fragtaon darted back to procure the next gift. "Don't be alarmed, you don't need to feel too appreciative of the Fishermen's gift. They are our lowest culture for a reason."

Fragtaon returned with a bottle of a white liquid and gave it to Aeraig, "Your Grace, from the Caesrictau culture, a very popular beverage made from fermented cow's milk, sweetened with honey." Fragtaon left once more, and Aeraig placed the bottle on the floor next to the Lion-Shark.

Yet another gift came out with the young aide, yet another bottle. "Your Grace, from the Faurtau culture, this is Nectar Beer, made from the tapped nectar of a tree mixed with Tauriyaeca beer."

Fragtaon returned with another gift, this time a large rug. Aeraig draped it over his hands. "Your Grace, from the Czoasrictau culture, a woolen rug. The Czoasrictau sheep herders believe a rug like this brings safety to all who step upon it. May it bring you the same safety."

Another gift came out in the hands of the young Aide, this time a jar filled with small blackened strips. Aeraig gazed at it somewhat confused, but then realised what it was. "Your Grace, from the Georictau culture, a traditional food made of hardened meats, somewhat similar to what you might call 'jerky'."

Yet one more gift came out, this time on a large silver platter. "Your Grace, from the Zërictau culture, a wild berry crostata with a traditional sweetened goat milk sauce." For one final time, Fragtaon ducked out of the reception room, and Aeraig straightened up yet again. This was the one he was most proud of, as he had picked it to represent his culture personally.

Fragtaon returned with a large, roughly diamond-shaped shield, very similar in size, shape and colour to the crest on the Tauriyaeca flag. Aeraig smiled broadly, "Your Grace, from my own culture, the Waurictau, a ceremonial shield of steel and obsidian. May it defend you in any battles and keep Your Grace safe." Aeraig bowed deeply, very proud of his gift.

When he rose, he smiled towards the Grand Duke. "I hope these gifts are to your liking, Your Grace."

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Tauriyaec wrote:
Knessniet wrote:"It is my pleasure. The proper way to address a Grand Duke varies by nation, but I assume the style of most dukes, 'Your Grace'.", the Duke said, happy that this wasn't another communist. "Now, what is this gift?"

Aeraig bowed once more. "Your Grace. A fine style, may I say, though somewhat unusual to my ears." By this point, Fragtaon had shown himself behind the Gērasir, and Aeraig straightened up. "Ah, Your Grace. The gifts are ready. My Aide chose the fine gifts we shall give, and they represent a cross-section of Tauriyaeca production. For we are a somewhat agrarian nation, though our products are of a fine quality." Aeraig made a short gesture to Fragtaon, who absented himself once more and returned with a large glass container, filled with greenish liquid, small pieces of various vegetables and a very large fish.

"Your Grace, a Tauriyaeca Lion-Shark. Very pleasant meat, caught by our lowest culture, the Goctau, and kept within salt water for freshness. I hope you find it to your tastes." Aeraig bowed to the Grand Duke, placing the container on the ground as Fragtaon darted back to procure the next gift. "Don't be alarmed, you don't need to feel too appreciative of the Fishermen's gift. They are our lowest culture for a reason."

Fragtaon returned with a bottle of a white liquid and gave it to Aeraig, "Your Grace, from the Caesrictau culture, a very popular beverage made from fermented cow's milk, sweetened with honey." Fragtaon left once more, and Aeraig placed the bottle on the floor next to the Lion-Shark.

Yet another gift came out with the young aide, yet another bottle. "Your Grace, from the Faurtau culture, this is Nectar Beer, made from the tapped nectar of a tree mixed with Tauriyaeca beer."

Fragtaon returned with another gift, this time a large rug. Aeraig draped it over his hands. "Your Grace, from the Czoasrictau culture, a woolen rug. The Czoasrictau sheep herders believe a rug like this brings safety to all who step upon it. May it bring you the same safety."

Another gift came out in the hands of the young Aide, this time a jar filled with small blackened strips. Aeraig gazed at it somewhat confused, but then realised what it was. "Your Grace, from the Georictau culture, a traditional food made of hardened meats, somewhat similar to what you might call 'jerky'."

Yet one more gift came out, this time on a large silver platter. "Your Grace, from the Zërictau culture, a wild berry crostata with a traditional sweetened goat milk sauce." For one final time, Fragtaon ducked out of the reception room, and Aeraig straightened up yet again. This was the one he was most proud of, as he had picked it to represent his culture personally.

Fragtaon returned with a large, roughly diamond-shaped shield, very similar in size, shape and colour to the crest on the Tauriyaeca flag. Aeraig smiled broadly, "Your Grace, from my own culture, the Waurictau, a ceremonial shield of steel and obsidian. May it defend you in any battles and keep Your Grace safe." Aeraig bowed deeply, very proud of his gift.

When he rose, he smiled towards the Grand Duke. "I hope these gifts are to your liking, Your Grace."

"I quite appreciate them. They look well-made, and fresh. I thank you, sir.", the Duke said, quite impressed with the sheer number of gifts. "Such fine items require an equally fine gift. Servant!"

With that, a servant brought a box. The Duke took the box, and handed it to the steward. "I give you a few things in there. First, a bottle of the same champagne I am serving currently. Second, a dress sword. They are traditionally gifts given among the nobility here. I have 30 of them. Now, last but most certainly not least, we offer a facsimile reproduction of the entire Knessian Chronicle. There are four volumes, recording our entire history up to 1800. I hope these are to your liking." The Duke loved exchanging gifts, as he always could give a copy of the Chronicle, and it would always be appreciated.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Knessniet wrote:"I quite appreciate them. They look well-made, and fresh. I thank you, sir.", the Duke said, quite impressed with the sheer number of gifts. "Such fine items require an equally fine gift. Servant!"

With that, a servant brought a box. The Duke took the box, and handed it to the steward. "I give you a few things in there. First, a bottle of the same champagne I am serving currently. Second, a dress sword. They are traditionally gifts given among the nobility here. I have 30 of them. Now, last but most certainly not least, we offer a facsimile reproduction of the entire Knessian Chronicle. There are four volumes, recording our entire history up to 1800. I hope these are to your liking." The Duke loved exchanging gifts, as he always could give a copy of the Chronicle, and it would always be appreciated.

Aeraig chuckled before laughing heartily, "You must have read about our culture beforehand, Your Grace, to understand so well how our customs of gift giving function! Your gifts are all too well appreciated! Please, Your Grace, feel free to come to my country at some point, and we may do this once more!" Aeraig examined the dress sword and champagne, as well as looked across the Knessian Chronicle. "Such attention to detail in history... Truly astounding. Your country must have a truly fascinating history. As, indeed, does my own." Aeraig snapped his fingers, and Fragtaon moved the large books and the champagne to a safer place. He attempted to take the sword, but Aeraig, ever a military man, opted to place it on his person immediately, hooking it around his sash in order to keep it with him. "I hear your nation is feudal also, Your Grace. It is good. Far too many nations are falling to the tide of anti-monarchy and treachery so prevalent in our world."

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Tauriyaec wrote:
Knessniet wrote:"I quite appreciate them. They look well-made, and fresh. I thank you, sir.", the Duke said, quite impressed with the sheer number of gifts. "Such fine items require an equally fine gift. Servant!"

Aeraig chuckled before laughing heartily, "You must have read about our culture beforehand, Your Grace, to understand so well how our customs of gift giving function! Your gifts are all too well appreciated! Please, Your Grace, feel free to come to my country at some point, and we may do this once more!" Aeraig examined the dress sword and champagne, as well as looked across the Knessian Chronicle. "Such attention to detail in history... Truly astounding. Your country must have a truly fascinating history. As, indeed, does my own." Aeraig snapped his fingers, and Fragtaon moved the large books and the champagne to a safer place. He attempted to take the sword, but Aeraig, ever a military man, opted to place it on his person immediately, hooking it around his sash in order to keep it with him. "I hear your nation is feudal also, Your Grace. It is good. Far too many nations are falling to the tide of anti-monarchy and treachery so prevalent in our world."

The Duke let out a hearty laugh, "Yes! Too many! My friend, it is good to see another of one's own kind. I can tell, we will be fast friends!", the Duke was quite pleased. "I wish you were here earlier, some communist woman had a little rant, and it is quite funny in retrospect. She said there would be consequences if we continued the way we are, now, here's the funny part, their nation has no automobiles!", the Duke laughed again, and took a swig of champagne.

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

"Not at all, your efforts in modernizing your nation is quite admirable." She smiled as she sipped her wine. She was glad she didn't ask more, for as soon as she ended, a tall and stately man went to the Duke and displayed him some gifts that had a value much more than her nation's own small humble token. She knew the power of a strong economy, but seeing it again always impresses her just how far her nation has to go in order to be a wealthy, strong land just as they are. When the Duke returned the gifts with equally impressive ones for the statesman, she wondered how she could make the most out of Bulak-Alimyon's growing industry.

When the talk turned to discussions of their preference for a monarchist government, she had to nod along. Trying to dissect and analyze the pros and cons of their nations as well as of the system of Monarchy. Bulak-Alimyon was somewhat a democracy, however, it was not a pure democracy, and so voicing her opinion would be unwise. However, perhaps, she could discuss trade with the statesman.

For now, she had to look for some food. She was somewhat hungry.

"I'll leave you two fine gentleman alone." She spoke as she politely extracted herself from the discussion in search of something to eat.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Knessniet wrote:The Duke let out a hearty laugh, "Yes! Too many! My friend, it is good to see another of one's own kind. I can tell, we will be fast friends!", the Duke was quite pleased. "I wish you were here earlier, some communist woman had a little rant, and it is quite funny in retrospect. She said there would be consequences if we continued the way we are, now, here's the funny part, their nation has no automobiles!", the Duke laughed again, and took a swig of champagne.

The High Steward guffawed, "Communists. Who do they think they are?" He paused for a moment, "Though I can understand the lack of automobiles. Many even in my own country resist the tide of the automobile in an attempt to be closer to our history. Each of our cultures is predicated on the looking-after of an animal, and so many ride or simply walk alongside their animal of heritage." The High Steward made a grasp for a glass of champagne, before turning around to the Grand Duke once more, sipping the champagne. "This is good. Your country makes this?"

The High Steward noticed the representative from Bulak-Alimyon, and bowed politely, though not as regally as he did towards the Grand Duke, as she left to find food.
Last edited by Tauriyaec on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Tauriyaec wrote:
Knessniet wrote:The Duke let out a hearty laugh, "Yes! Too many! My friend, it is good to see another of one's own kind. I can tell, we will be fast friends!", the Duke was quite pleased. "I wish you were here earlier, some communist woman had a little rant, and it is quite funny in retrospect. She said there would be consequences if we continued the way we are, now, here's the funny part, their nation has no automobiles!", the Duke laughed again, and took a swig of champagne.

The High Steward guffawed, "Communists. Who do they think they are?" He paused for a moment, "Though I can understand the lack of automobiles. Many even in my own country resist the tide of the automobile in an attempt to be closer to our history. Each of our cultures is predicated on the looking-after of an animal, and so many ride or simply walk alongside their animal of heritage." The High Steward made a grasp for a glass of champagne, before turning around to the Grand Duke once more, sipping the champagne. "This is good. Your country makes this?"

The High Steward noticed the representative from Bulak-Alimyon, and bowed politely, though not as regally as he did towards the Grand Duke, as she left to find food.

The Duke nodded to the woman. "A pleasure, my lady, we can talk later." Then, he turned back to the High Steward. "Yes, some say we shouldn't call it champagne because it's not French, but we don't care. Now, that is an interesting thought, about your culture. We use machines now, as we have since we imported them in 1860. Since then, we have developed our own alongside the rest of the world. Nobles do, however, learn to ride. It is expected that they be mounted in parades. I was going to have a parade this evening, but I decided to keep the guards focused on security. Now, I am very interested in closer relations with your nation. Inform your foreign affairs people to get in contact with George R. Lee. He's my Minister on those matters. Unfortunately, he has fallen ill, so he couldn't come this evening." The Duke finished his glass, and a servant came around with a cheese platter, the Duke took some, and then the servant offered it yo the High Steward.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Knessniet wrote:The Duke nodded to the woman. "A pleasure, my lady, we can talk later." Then, he turned back to the High Steward. "Yes, some say we shouldn't call it champagne because it's not French, but we don't care. Now, that is an interesting thought, about your culture. We use machines now, as we have since we imported them in 1860. Since then, we have developed our own alongside the rest of the world. Nobles do, however, learn to ride. It is expected that they be mounted in parades. I was going to have a parade this evening, but I decided to keep the guards focused on security. Now, I am very interested in closer relations with your nation. Inform your foreign affairs people to get in contact with George R. Lee. He's my Minister on those matters. Unfortunately, he has fallen ill, so he couldn't come this evening." The Duke finished his glass, and a servant came around with a cheese platter, the Duke took some, and then the servant offered it yo the High Steward.

The High Steward scoffed, "You may call it what you like. It is your beverage. Therefore, your choice in how to name it. Call it 'grape juice' for all we care!" Yet another chuckle, followed by the sipping of the champagne. "I won't pretend to not be disappointed at the lack of a parade. Though, of course, your choice remains yours, and whether or not you choose to have a parade is your choice. Needless to say, though, as a military man myself, I wonder whether your nation employs levies or is a professional force." Aeraig noticed the cheese platter, and took some to try. The cheese was quite different to much of the stuff he had tried in Tauriyaec, though not so different as to be unrecognisable.

The High Steward smiled back at the Grand Duke, "I would also be very interested in further relations. Though, of course, it is not for me to say. I represent an advisory council to the King, one of two legislative bodies. Unfortunately, some King long ago buckled to popular demand and allowed... Well, lower cultures to have their own assembly in the nation. Of course, how much power it has is debatable, as the King may undo any change they make and make his own changes as he wills, but I definitely believe he could do more against the tide of this 'democracy'. Though a certainty, I shall make my colleagues and my King aware of your nation, and hopefully this will lead to further relations between our nations."
Last edited by Tauriyaec on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:26 am

Hrosvitha listen engaged as one of the other diplomats discussed trade with her. The reception was quickly proving to be beneficial for her land as she tried to market and figure out ways to have people invest in the nation. In between bites of the meal, she could faintly hear the discussion of the benefits of the monarchy continue on. and she was waiting for the chance to see it end so she could return and try to make an impression on the older gentleman and see if he was interested in any sort of trade between their respective lands.

Gopnikea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopnikea » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:23 am

As Anatoli arrives, he realises he is late. He starts a conversation with a random person.
Last edited by Gopnikea on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 am

Tauriyaec wrote:
Knessniet wrote:The Duke nodded to the woman. "A pleasure, my lady, we can talk later." Then, he turned back to the High Steward. "Yes, some say we shouldn't call it champagne because it's not French, but we don't care. Now, that is an interesting thought, about your culture. We use machines now, as we have since we imported them in 1860. Since then, we have developed our own alongside the rest of the world. Nobles do, however, learn to ride. It is expected that they be mounted in parades. I was going to have a parade this evening, but I decided to keep the guards focused on security. Now, I am very interested in closer relations with your nation. Inform your foreign affairs people to get in contact with George R. Lee. He's my Minister on those matters. Unfortunately, he has fallen ill, so he couldn't come this evening." The Duke finished his glass, and a servant came around with a cheese platter, the Duke took some, and then the servant offered it yo the High Steward.

The High Steward scoffed, "You may call it what you like. It is your beverage. Therefore, your choice in how to name it. Call it 'grape juice' for all we care!" Yet another chuckle, followed by the sipping of the champagne. "I won't pretend to not be disappointed at the lack of a parade. Though, of course, your choice remains yours, and whether or not you choose to have a parade is your choice. Needless to say, though, as a military man myself, I wonder whether your nation employs levies or is a professional force." Aeraig noticed the cheese platter, and took some to try. The cheese was quite different to much of the stuff he had tried in Tauriyaec, though not so different as to be unrecognisable.

The High Steward smiled back at the Grand Duke, "I would also be very interested in further relations. Though, of course, it is not for me to say. I represent an advisory council to the King, one of two legislative bodies. Unfortunately, some King long ago buckled to popular demand and allowed... Well, lower cultures to have their own assembly in the nation. Of course, how much power it has is debatable, as the King may undo any change they make and make his own changes as he wills, but I definitely believe he could do more against the tide of this 'democracy'. Though a certainty, I shall make my colleagues and my King aware of your nation, and hopefully this will lead to further relations between our nations."

"Very good. Now, in regard to our military, we have both professional and levied troops. Each male citizen aged 18 to 30 is eligible for militia service. Unlike democratic nations, we can raise the militia anytime we want, without reason. Not that we do, the peasants don't have much, but they aren't that miserable, and we'd rather have happy peasants. We also have a professional force, because modern military technology is sometimes too much for the average peasant to operate. Here is the interesting part, your civilian career makes a difference in your militia position. For example, fishermen are often given arms for their fishing boats, making makeshift gunboats, and hunters are assigned to marksman units, and so on. The nobility is exempt from militia duty, but has a different responsibility. The current lord of a feif is required to act as a commanding officer to his militia, unless otherwise ordered. Then, the nobles relatives manage the holdings with the old, women, and children. Now, do you have any other questions?", the Duke said, having drained half another glass of champagne.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:04 am

Bulak-Alimyon wrote:Hrosvitha listen engaged as one of the other diplomats discussed trade with her. The reception was quickly proving to be beneficial for her land as she tried to market and figure out ways to have people invest in the nation. In between bites of the meal, she could faintly hear the discussion of the benefits of the monarchy continue on. and she was waiting for the chance to see it end so she could return and try to make an impression on the older gentleman and see if he was interested in any sort of trade between their respective lands.

"My lady, while he ponders what questions he wants to ask, is there anything you wish to discuss?", the Duke asked, he was still happy, and a bit happier after a glass and a half of champagne. He was used to drinking the stuff quite often, so he wouldn't be wasted until the fifth glass, not that he would let himself get that far.

Gopnikea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopnikea » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 am

Anatoli had another glass of vodka, and another, and another. After that, he continued his conversation.

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:42 am

Knessniet wrote:"My lady, while he ponders what questions he wants to ask, is there anything you wish to discuss?", the Duke asked, he was still happy, and a bit happier after a glass and a half of champagne. He was used to drinking the stuff quite often, so he wouldn't be wasted until the fifth glass, not that he would let himself get that far.

A question? Hrosvitha wasn't actually thinking of asking anything other than introducing herself to the high steward. Still, she couldn't let the Duke be embarrassed. It must have been her fault, something in the body language that gave of different signals.

"Well, your Grace,do you often hold receptions like these?" She asked, going to safer and less intrusive topics.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:06 am

Bulak-Alimyon wrote:
Knessniet wrote:"My lady, while he ponders what questions he wants to ask, is there anything you wish to discuss?", the Duke asked, he was still happy, and a bit happier after a glass and a half of champagne. He was used to drinking the stuff quite often, so he wouldn't be wasted until the fifth glass, not that he would let himself get that far.

A question? Hrosvitha wasn't actually thinking of asking anything other than introducing herself to the high steward. Still, she couldn't let the Duke be embarrassed. It must have been her fault, something in the body language that gave of different signals.

"Well, your Grace,do you often hold receptions like these?" She asked, going to safer and less intrusive topics.

"Not in quite some time, actually. We have them fairly often for the local nobility, but we haven't had foreign guests since 1865. We pursued an isolationist policy after we saw the concussive revolutions in France and America. We didn't want our people to get ideas, if you know what I mean. But, now we realized that if we kept going, we'd end up like China did when the British came along, or Japan after Commondore Perry.", the Duke said, happy to give another history lesson. "Now, we are looking to become a power. I see how it is these days, you are either a power, or you have to suck up to one. All that 'international community' stuff is a lie, it can't keep people off each other's throats. We see that happening in the Middle East. Now, I see the writing on the wall, either be 'liberated' by some democratic crusader, or become powerful enough to resist them. I chose the latter. Mind you, power isn't always military. Diplomacy is another way to amass great power. Which brings us here, in my reception room, meeting people, and finding who wants us dead, and who wants to keep us around. Well now, that was quite the answer to such a simple question. I'm sorry if I bored you with my lecturing.", the Duke seemed to enjoy lecturing, and sometimes couldn't help himself.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 am

Knessniet wrote:"Very good. Now, in regard to our military, we have both professional and levied troops. Each male citizen aged 18 to 30 is eligible for militia service. Unlike democratic nations, we can raise the militia anytime we want, without reason. Not that we do, the peasants don't have much, but they aren't that miserable, and we'd rather have happy peasants. We also have a professional force, because modern military technology is sometimes too much for the average peasant to operate. Here is the interesting part, your civilian career makes a difference in your militia position. For example, fishermen are often given arms for their fishing boats, making makeshift gunboats, and hunters are assigned to marksman units, and so on. The nobility is exempt from militia duty, but has a different responsibility. The current lord of a feif is required to act as a commanding officer to his militia, unless otherwise ordered. Then, the nobles relatives manage the holdings with the old, women, and children. Now, do you have any other questions?", the Duke said, having drained half another glass of champagne.

The High Steward nodded to the Grand Duke's response, though before he could ask another question, he noticed that the Duke had trailed off and gone to speak with the delegate from Bulak-Alimyon. Quite right, he thought, he is the host after all. He downed his glass of champagne, and moved on to the food, seeing what there was to eat. He noted that the meat appeared to be that of cows, though likely not adult ones. "Fragtaon, take a look at this!"

The hard-working aide showed up at the High Steward's side. He pointed to the dish, smiling. He began to speak in Tauricez, saying, "A young cow, I think. Why would they ever do that? Don't they care about how much meat they get?"

The aide responded professionally, still in Tauricez, "I believe they call it 'veal', Gērasir. It is common in many cuisines, and is a sign of opulence and wealth."

The High Steward chuckled, "Well, I like the Grand Duke, but it must be said, his land is not exactly 'opulent'," he switched back to English, "Nevertheless, I suppose we can try some. Care for it?"

The aide smiled, "No thank you, Gērasir. I'll stick to the pasta dish."

Both retrieved their food, and continued to mull around the reception.

Bulak-Alimyon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Bulak-Alimyon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Hrosvitha shook her head, "Of course not, your grace. How can knowledge spread quickly if everyone plugs their ears?" She answered. The policy of a nation being first meant that he would rather his nation profit more than hers. While an understandable sentiment, and one that would make the people support that sort of policy, it does mean that she would be limited in the sort of trade she would like to have and the higher risk that her nation would bite the bullet.

"Would I be right to assume that the High Steward shares the same sentiments you hold?" She asked curiously as she glanced at the representative from Tauriyaec.

Saarkrisken
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Knessniet wrote:"What a novel system. Now, where does your family fit into this structure? More importantly, where do you fit in?", the Duke asked. He was quite interested in this strange system.

"My family is one of the oldest families, descended from one of the founders, my father is a Senator and a very influential one at that. My mother is related through her mother to the Honorious family. I have just recently begun my diplomatic career, having completed my training last year. I hope to rise to the top of my profession someday and follow in my father's footsteps as Senator."

The young Saarkrisken greeted the new arrivals and watched how they interacted with the Duke.

Tauriyaec
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Tauriyaec » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Bulak-Alimyon wrote:Hrosvitha shook her head, "Of course not, your grace. How can knowledge spread quickly if everyone plugs their ears?" She answered. The policy of a nation being first meant that he would rather his nation profit more than hers. While an understandable sentiment, and one that would make the people support that sort of policy, it does mean that she would be limited in the sort of trade she would like to have and the higher risk that her nation would bite the bullet.

"Would I be right to assume that the High Steward shares the same sentiments you hold?" She asked curiously as she glanced at the representative from Tauriyaec.

The High Steward nodded, before chiming in, "That is correct. Though, I suspect, cultural differences exist, as well as small differences between the systems of governance at work in our two nations, we both seem to agree that Feudalism is the most tried and tested method of governance, and that the relinquishing of it was one of the greatest losses to humanity in its long history."

Finishing his speech, Aeraig took a sip of his champagne.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Tauriyaec wrote:
Bulak-Alimyon wrote:Hrosvitha shook her head, "Of course not, your grace. How can knowledge spread quickly if everyone plugs their ears?" She answered. The policy of a nation being first meant that he would rather his nation profit more than hers. While an understandable sentiment, and one that would make the people support that sort of policy, it does mean that she would be limited in the sort of trade she would like to have and the higher risk that her nation would bite the bullet.

The High Steward nodded, before chiming in, "That is correct. Though, I suspect, cultural differences exist, as well as small differences between the systems of governance at work in our two nations, we both seem to agree that Feudalism is the most tried and tested method of governance, and that the relinquishing of it was one of the greatest losses to humanity in its long history."

Finishing his speech, Aeraig took a sip of his champagne.

"Hear hear!", the Duke said, "Now, I have an offer to extend, to everyone present. I said previously that I had decided not to host a parade today, but I invite you all to return sometime in the near future for the grandest parade I can muster! It is only the most fitting way to show the world my nation's military prowess, other than invading someone else, but I have no intention to do that. So, who's interested?"

Saarkrisken
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Panzer did not have any special interest in military parades, but he liked the Grand Duke and didn't want to offend him, or worse, allow him to lose face. "A wonderful idea your Grace. I am not sure if I can make it, but if it fits in my schedule, I will be there." he said with enthusiasm. The young diplomat then turned to the other guests. "In Saarkrisken we do not have feudalism, but we do have mandatory military service, but really, it isn't necessary to achieve a full military. Besides, with modern equipment professional troops are more important, not ones that have trained two years and then go back to civilian life. We, like I believe most nations have a standing army, which may be more expensive than levies, is certainly faster to respond. I think, however, the Grand Duke is right to use diplomacy as opposed to just his military might. Working together, we can be stronger than the some of our parts."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates