NATION

PASSWORD

The Reception [IC/MT]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

The Reception [IC/MT]

Postby Knessniet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 am

Image
Ducal Palace, Reception Room


As you arrive at the Ducal Palace, it's imposing and grand architecture dwarfs the small forest that separates it from the city. The gate guard waves you through once he sees the driver wave his pass. Somehow, the Duke had figured out where you were staying, and sent a driver to pick you up. Not that it was bad, it was a luxury car after all, just a bit unsettling that he knew exactly where to find you. As the car pulls up to the curb, a guard opens the passenger door, allowing you out. He says plainly, "Please come with me." It was a short walk to the security checkpoint, which was quite intricate. You had to pass through a metal detector, your bag was searched, and you were patted down. Then, a guard said, "Follow me.", and led you into the palace.

The guard escorting you suddenly starts to speak, "We're sorry if the security screening was a little intrusive, but some very important people will be here. Anyway, I was instructed to give you a whole speech. I don't think that's needed. You're no doubt accustomed to this type of thing. Just remember, don't outright insult anyone, and keep your hands to yourself, and you'll be fine."

Finally, you arrive at a door. "Here we are, now if you'll excuse me, I have to collect more guests.", the guard says as he walks back the way he came. The door opens, and a servant ushers you in, while another offers you a glass of champagne.

The room had a few people milling about, chatting, the Duke obviously wasn't there yet, but some important Knessians were there. You see that a few look over at you, curious as to why you are here, and where you come from.

NOTE: If you want to join, sign up in the OOC thread. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=449051
Last edited by Knessniet on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:16 am

Adeema smiled up at the guard. She was nowhere near as tall as even his shoulder height. "I'm sure it would have been an excellent speech too. Don't worry, I have no intention of assassinating the nobility or expropriating the silver cutlery. Might I ask you a favour, however?" She indicated the wrapped package that was very nearly as tall as she was - an engraved and varnished tribal shield inlaid with shells. "Could you arrange for this to be conveyed this to the Duke as a small token of my government's esteem? I would feel a little self-conscious holding it while trying to negotiate the canapés."

With another smile she left the nonplussed guard holding the shield and advanced into the room, accepting a glass of champagne from the attendant. "Thank you, that's most kind of you." The room was, unsurprisingly, dominated by white faces and elaborate outfits while she was small, black and plainly dressed. Another day, another diplomatic function. She was ready to catch the eye of anyone who looked interesting.

User avatar
Saarkrisken
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 137
Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:45 am

Hieronymus Panzer had heard that the Grand Duchy had been long isolated, but he had no idea to which extent the court lack experience in international relations. The manner of the security and the departure from international protocol, caused the young man to speculate that the Grand Ducal court had almost zero contact with foreign guests, and that security had till now dealt primarily with its own subjects. Still, Panzer decided to remain professional and replied to the guard with only a stoic nod.

Once in the room he sipped his champagne and scanned the crowd. Mostly looked like state event crowd. Unsure of what the next step is he decides to mingle. Turning right he almost bumps into a short women, who apparently also just arrived. "Excuse me madam" he said politely before taking a closer look. Her dark complexion made her stand out, as well as the plainness of her clothes. They must barely qualify as formal thought Hieronymus. In fact, such an outfit would not be allowed in a semi-formal event in Saarkrisken. "Allow we to introduce myself, I am Hieronymus Panzer from Saarkrisken, are you a Knessnieten?" he asked with a smile.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:19 am

"No, I am from a country called Uan aa Boa. I am Adeema Pula, a diplomatic representative." She extended a hand. "To be honest this is somewhat outside our usual sphere of influence but, odd though it sounds, I was in the neighbourhood when we heard about this function, travelling between other events. There seemed little to lose by coming to meet new people. Have you come far yourself?"

User avatar
Saarkrisken
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 137
Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:52 am

"Pleased to meet you" replied Hieronymus, still smiling and taking her hand. "It was indeed a long trip from Saarkrisken, fortunately I was able to fly first class. Although this champagne is better then what they served on the plane. My father has planned a career for me in diplomacy, so I better get used to all the travel, but the upside is, like you yourself said, that one gets to meet new people." An awkward pause followed. "I must be honest, I do not know much about Uen ah Bo, sorry, I think I said that wrong. Can you tell me more about it?" Hieronymus came off as genuine and relaxed, even as he was uncertain of what to do, he was certain of himself.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 am

"The difficulty is mutual, Mr Panzer. I confess I have not heard of your country and its name sounds difficult for me to pronounce. My homeland is very beautiful, covered in unspoilt rainforest. Our people live now mainly in the cities, and not causing further harm to the forest is our main concern. We deal mainly in computing, AI and high-tech manufacturing. Given your fondness for fine champagne and first class travel I hesitate to mention that we are also communists, though it cannot be denied."

"A question in return... Do you share your father's enthusiasm for diplomacy, or is that not for you to decide?"

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 am

A dark suited man approached them. "Excuse me, but I see our guests have arrived.", he said. "Before you get excited, no, I'm not the Duke." "I'm Jacob Neuwitz, Director of the Department of Special Services.", he said, smiling. On the surface, he looked like a cheery bureaucrat, but he had the eyes of someone who has witnessed the cruelest methods of torture, dead and hard.

You had heard whispers of his department, more commonly known as the DSS among the citizens. They seemed to be some kind of intelligence service, but they probably did a bit more than that. Judging from Director Neuwitz, they seemed to be a secret police type thing, but would he admit that?

He offered his hand to each of them.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 am

"Mr Neuwitz, a pleasure. I am Adeema Pula, but given your thoughtful provision of transport you no doubt already know that. I must thank you for that, it was truly a special service. Your department is well named. Mr Panzer and I were just commenting on the excellent quality of the Duke's champagne."

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:03 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:"Mr Neuwitz, a pleasure. I am Adeema Pula, but given your thoughtful provision of transport you no doubt already know that. I must thank you for that, it was truly a special service. Your department is well named. Mr Panzer and I were just commenting on the excellent quality of the Duke's champagne."

"Wonderful to hear!", he said. "I'm glad you liked it, I helped him plan this evening, so I'm glad you are enjoying it. It was a real pain to requisition those cars, usually those are reserved for the Duke's vassals, but he made an exception to greet our esteemed guests. If I remember correctly, you come from Uan aa Boa? Did I get that right?"

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:32 am

"Exactly right," Adeema beamed. "At home we have no motor vehicles, so you could have had me picked up in anything and I would have been struck by the novelty, but thank you for the thought. I hope the Duke's vassals were not too greatly inconvenienced. Forgive me, though, I am here in part to better understand Knessniet... is everybody here not the Duke's vassal? You must forgive my ignorance, please."

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:49 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:"Exactly right," Adeema beamed. "At home we have no motor vehicles, so you could have had me picked up in anything and I would have been struck by the novelty, but thank you for the thought. I hope the Duke's vassals were not too greatly inconvenienced. Forgive me, though, I am here in part to better understand Knessniet... is everybody here not the Duke's vassal? You must forgive my ignorance, please."

"Oh, it is no trouble! I'd gladly explain our system of governance.", said Neuwitz. "It works like this, there are 18 counties. Each county is ruled by a count, except for this one. This one is the Duke's demense, or his personal holdings. The counts are his vassals, and the citizens of their county are their vassals, I am sure you are aware how feudalism works, yes? Those cars were reserved for his noble vassals, such as his counts, and barons who are vassals of the counts. In this way, the Duke could manage large domains, if he so desired. But alas, we have few allies on the international level. Back in the day, when his great-great-grandfather was Duke, we had an ally, but their northern neighbor annexed them. You may have heard of them, let's see, they were... I can't remember. The Duke would, he loves his history books. Anyway, does that explain it well enough, or do you have further questions?"

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:51 am

Adeema made a number of mental notes. Firstly, despite the claims of striking economic growth, Knessniet only possessed as many luxury cars as it had extremely senior people, regional governors or equivalent. Secondly, those extremely senior people were being deprived of their cars because of how badly those calling the shots wanted to impress their foreign visitors. Thirdly, those calling the shots appeared to be the spooks. As a communist she noted the ability to transfer resources to where they were most needed with approval. More importantly, she realised the government wasn't simply about the whim of the Duke because here was Neuwitz, a man laying no claim to aristocratic pedigree and therefore presumably in the position he held because of his abilities - somebody she could take seriously. While she expected some kind of audience with the Duke before the evening was done, she suspected she was already talking to the person who really mattered.

"Annexation by one's neighbours is always unfortunate. But yes, I understand the basics of feudalism, which does seem surprisingly resurgent in many countries these days. It causes our political theorists a bit of a conundrum, but it's all very dry unless political theory is your thing. Still, you have gone to considerable trouble here. Your commitment to finding your place on the international stage is commendable. When I first joined the RWCFA we were in a similar position, except there was an embargo and a lot of warships. Sometimes I miss the clarity of knowing who your enemies are."

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:57 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:Adeema made a number of mental notes. Firstly, despite the claims of striking economic growth, Knessniet only possessed as many luxury cars as it had extremely senior people, regional governors or equivalent. Secondly, those extremely senior people were being deprived of their cars because of how badly those calling the shots wanted to impress their foreign visitors. Thirdly, those calling the shots appeared to be the spooks. As a communist she noted the ability to transfer resources to where they were most needed with approval. More importantly, she realised the government wasn't simply about the whim of the Duke because here was Neuwitz, a man laying no claim to aristocratic pedigree and therefore presumably in the position he held because of his abilities - somebody she could take seriously. While she expected some kind of audience with the Duke before the evening was done, she suspected she was already talking to the person who really mattered.

"Annexation by one's neighbours is always unfortunate. But yes, I understand the basics of feudalism, which does seem surprisingly resurgent in many countries these days. It causes our political theorists a bit of a conundrum, but it's all very dry unless political theory is your thing. Still, you have gone to considerable trouble here. Your commitment to finding your place on the international stage is commendable. When I first joined the RWCFA we were in a similar position, except there was an embargo and a lot of warships. Sometimes I miss the clarity of knowing who your enemies are."

"Yes, well, the Grand Duke should be here soon. He'll know more about that then me. I just manage the Department. Anyway, I have to go introduce myself to the other guests. It was nice meeting you."

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:24 am

As Jacob Neuwitz was walking off to speak with a group of Knessian North Sea Company officials, the guards suddenly stood straight. The one by the door yelled, "Announcing the arrival of His Grace, Grand Duke Herman the thirteenth, by God's Grace, Grand Duke of Knessniet, Count of Litchfield County, and Lord-Protector of The Faith!"

After that, the Duke strolled in, two guards following him. He wore his full uniform today, with dress sword at his side. The guards uniforms were standard to the palace guards, but these two had rows of gleaming medals. He was smiling, he always enjoyed parties, and meeting new people. Neuwitz walked over to him, whispered to him, and pointed at the foreigners. He smiled wider, and strolled over to them, guards following close behind.

He addressed them, "Are my honored guests having a good time?"
Last edited by Knessniet on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:38 pm

He's actually wearing a sword, Adeema sighed inwardly. She'd just lost a bet with her aide. At least it meant the shield was probably a good choice of gift.

"Yes thank you, sir. Your hospitality is splendid." Adeema inclined her head by a carefully measured degree. It wasn't by any means rude, but there was no possibility of mistaking it for a bow. The RWCFA made a point of ignoring titles and formalities. If there was ever an occasion that called for mentioning the Duke in an official statement he would be be referred to simply as Herman Kness. In her younger days Adeema had once been banished from an oriental island for addressing the Divine God Emperor, Immanent Lotus Flower, Spirit Dragon of the House of Whatever, etc etc by his forbidden birth name, which had taken her quite a bit of research to discover. Older and wiser, she was now more practical, though equally mystified as to why so many rulers spent so much time on dressing up and play-acting when there was no shortage of ruling to be done.

"Mr Neuwitz was just explaining to us about your enthusiasm for history."

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:He's actually wearing a sword, Adeema sighed inwardly. She'd just lost a bet with her aide. At least it meant the shield was probably a good choice of gift.

"Yes thank you, sir. Your hospitality is splendid." Adeema inclined her head by a carefully measured degree. It wasn't by any means rude, but there was no possibility of mistaking it for a bow. The RWCFA made a point of ignoring titles and formalities. If there was ever an occasion that called for mentioning the Duke in an official statement he would be be referred to simply as Herman Kness. In her younger days Adeema had once been banished from an oriental island for addressing the Divine God Emperor, Immanent Lotus Flower, Spirit Dragon of the House of Whatever, etc etc by his forbidden birth name, which had taken her quite a bit of research to discover. Older and wiser, she was now more practical, though equally mystified as to why so many rulers spent so much time on dressing up and play-acting when there was no shortage of ruling to be done.

"Mr Neuwitz was just explaining to us about your enthusiasm for history."

"Oh yes, I do adore the history of this nation! I'm sure you would too, if you were the God-anionted ruler of it. By any chance do you take an interest in the history of our nation?", the Duke inquired, obviously pleased that his hobby was mentioned. However, upon the omission of his title, and refusal to bow, his smile twitched a bit.
Last edited by Knessniet on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Saarkrisken
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 137
Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:34 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:"The difficulty is mutual, Mr Panzer. I confess I have not heard of your country and its name sounds difficult for me to pronounce. My homeland is very beautiful, covered in unspoilt rainforest. Our people live now mainly in the cities, and not causing further harm to the forest is our main concern. We deal mainly in computing, AI and high-tech manufacturing. Given your fondness for fine champagne and first class travel I hesitate to mention that we are also communists, though it cannot be denied."

"A question in return... Do you share your father's enthusiasm for diplomacy, or is that not for you to decide?"



The young man listened and nodded. Uan aa Boa seemed interesting to him, the combination of wild rainforest and high tech cities seemed a stark contrast and an unusual situation, but also spoke to two things that Panzer enjoyed, nature and tech. When Adeema revealed her nation's communist orientation he laughed. In his limited experience as a diplomat, he had met many communists that enjoyed bubbly, not to mention the appropriately named champagne socialists. "I have no problem with communism personally, or professionally" the Saarkriskian reassured. "In fact, our founders studied communism when founding Saarkrisken. In the end, they went for something more classical, deeming communism too populist."

The question about his father, struck Hieronymus as both odd and personal. Of course his father chose his career path for him, that was the Saarkrisken way, but even that wasn't that simple. Public service was a way of life for him and his family. The young diplomat decided to answer indirectly and even a little defensively. "I considered my self very fortunate and privileged to have such a career path before me. I get to travel and attend parties and call it work. As I am sure you know, most people don't dream of the luxury we have nor the influence."


Knessniet wrote:A dark suited man approached them. "Excuse me, but I see our guests have arrived.", he said. "Before you get excited, no, I'm not the Duke." "I'm Jacob Neuwitz, Director of the Department of Special Services.", he said, smiling. On the surface, he looked like a cheery bureaucrat, but he had the eyes of someone who has witnessed the cruelest methods of torture, dead and hard.

You had heard whispers of his department, more commonly known as the DSS among the citizens. They seemed to be some kind of intelligence service, but they probably did a bit more than that. Judging from Director Neuwitz, they seemed to be a secret police type thing, but would he admit that?

He offered his hand to each of them.


Hieronymus was not excited, but then again had not thought the Director could be the Duke, mainly because he had seen a picture of the duke, but also because he expected the Duke to be better dressed and wearing insignia of his rank. As he took Neuwitz's hand and gave him a firm handshake, he felt as if he was being sized up. He would have to be careful with this one. As the spy explained how feudalism worked, Panzer thought of his history professor, who told them about the great spur controversy, and that feudalism wasn't a thing. I guess it is now thought the young man. As the Director mentioned the loss of their ally, Hieronymus interpreted this as a subtle hint. The Grand Duchy was looking for at least one new ally. An interesting proposition, but the Saarkriskian wondered if such an alliance was worth it, the Grand Duchy was after all, not much use to their former ally, otherwise they wouldn't be annexed.

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:06 am

Saarkrisken wrote:"I considered my self very fortunate and privileged to have such a career path before me. I get to travel and attend parties and call it work. As I am sure you know, most people don't dream of the luxury we have nor the influence."

Adeema had nodded but not replied. The boy could only have been on a handful of postings and no doubt the novelty was still intoxicating. It was somewhat different to the reluctant start to her own diplomatic career, 16 years ago. Despite her initial outrage she had served the Council well, in large part shaped it into what it was today, but she was homesick as only a career diplomat can be. The conference chambers, drawing rooms and receptions eventually merged into one, the egos and agenda with them. She dreamed of her own balcony, a lover's touch in the tropical sunlight, a place where she understood people without having to decode them.

Knessniet wrote:"Oh yes, I do adore the history of this nation! I'm sure you would too, if you were the God-anionted ruler of it. By any chance do you take an interest in the history of our nation?", the Duke inquired, obviously pleased that his hobby was mentioned. However, upon the omission of his title, and refusal to bow, his smile twitched a bit.

"I am something of a newcomer, sir, but I read a short volume on the boat. I fear I may understand history in a different way to its author... deterministic forces rather than the deeds of great men, that kind of thing. It may be a consequence of having to rely on more earthly sources of anointment. Still, it appears you are very much in the process of writing a new chapter for that history."
Last edited by Uan aa Boa on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:17 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:
Saarkrisken wrote:"I considered my self very fortunate and privileged to have such a career path before me. I get to travel and attend parties and call it work. As I am sure you know, most people don't dream of the luxury we have nor the influence."

Adeema had nodded but not replied. The boy could only have been on a handful of postings and no doubt the novelty was still intoxicating. It was somewhat different to the reluctant start to her own diplomatic career, 16 years ago. Despite her initial outrage she had served the Council well, in large part shaped it into what it was today, but she was homesick as only a career diplomat can be. The conference chambers, drawing rooms and receptions eventually merged into one, the egos and agenda with them. She dreamed of her own balcony, a lover's touch in the tropical sunlight, a place where she understood people without having to decode them.

Knessniet wrote:"Oh yes, I do adore the history of this nation! I'm sure you would too, if you were the God-anionted ruler of it. By any chance do you take an interest in the history of our nation?", the Duke inquired, obviously pleased that his hobby was mentioned. However, upon the omission of his title, and refusal to bow, his smile twitched a bit.

"I am something of a newcomer, sir, but I read a short volume on the boat. I fear I may understand history in a different way to its author... deterministic forces rather than the deeds of great men, that kind of thing. It may be a consequence of having to rely on more earthly sources of anointment. Still, it appears you are very much in the process of writing a new chapter for that history."

"Well, if you miss the great men, then you miss the history! That's what I think, anyway. I hope to forge a new chapter, indeed. After all, it has been the goal of all Dukes since Herman I to accomplish something greater than him. It hasn't been done yet. Why? Because he created the nation we are in at this second. How can you beat that? Well, I think it could be possible, with international cooperation, I could possibly expand our borders. Peacefully, of course. Someone may have a few border provinces to sell off, yes? I received your gift before I came in here. I appreciate it, and we have a gift for you as well."

With that, a servant brought over a box. Inside the box was four extremely thick books, each one looking to have about 2,000 pages. "I give you a copy of the Knessian Chronicle, where we have recorded our history since 510 AD. It's most definitely not an original, but each set costs about 5,000 Knessmarks to produce a facsimile copy."
Last edited by Knessniet on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Saarkrisken
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 137
Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 am

The young diplomat was familiar with the debate revolving around the Great Man theory of history, and while he was far from Carlylian, he felt that the Grand Duke had a point, would could not just dismiss the leaders of the time and their influence. Seeking to put it diplomatically, as to avoid offending both the Grand Duke or Adeema, Hieronymus gave his opinion thus; "I think both sides should be considered, I have seen histories that focus only on one man, as if he were an entire people, and others that focus on a generic everyman, who is not only bland, but the never really existed. Of course, hero worship, while something I personally don't engage in, is an important part of maintaining a governments legitimacy." As he said the last comment he made a point of smiling at Adeema, hoping it would communicate his friendliness.

When the history book came, Hieronymus had to suppress a groan. He immediately sensed that it was very important to the Grand Duke and that it was best not just to feign interest, but to feign excitement. "That is a very amazing book, was it all done by hand?"

User avatar
Uan aa Boa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Uan aa Boa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 am

Adeema's eyes widened slightly at the sight of the books. With a word of thanks to the servant she opened the top one and leafed through the first few pages. In her mind she did a quick calculation - 5000 Knessmarks was roughly equivalent to 1200 jade hearts. It was useful to know how much money constituted an amount worth commenting on. How childlike to boast about the cost of a physical copy rather than simply having it digitised and making it available online to everyone.

"These are magnificent - effectively a primary source running back to the 6th century. As a humble diplomat I am perhaps not the best person to appreciate their value, but with your permission I will have them donated to the history department of our foremost university, where they can be given their proper status as part of the historical record. On their behalf, I thank you for such a gift."

Turning to Hieronymous, she returned his smile. "Certainly I have a great admiration for the heroes of our movement and their great achievements. They would agree themselves, however, that if they themselves had never lived, or had died in infancy, that eventually someone else would have done what they did. Maybe not at the same time or in the same way, but with a similar result. They endured great oppression and adversity, and such circumstances are what make great men and women out of ordinary people. This is what tyrants always overlook," she said, looking up at the Duke with a sunny smile.

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:21 am

Saarkrisken wrote:The young diplomat was familiar with the debate revolving around the Great Man theory of history, and while he was far from Carlylian, he felt that the Grand Duke had a point, would could not just dismiss the leaders of the time and their influence. Seeking to put it diplomatically, as to avoid offending both the Grand Duke or Adeema, Hieronymus gave his opinion thus; "I think both sides should be considered, I have seen histories that focus only on one man, as if he were an entire people, and others that focus on a generic everyman, who is not only bland, but the never really existed. Of course, hero worship, while something I personally don't engage in, is an important part of maintaining a governments legitimacy." As he said the last comment he made a point of smiling at Adeema, hoping it would communicate his friendliness.

When the history book came, Hieronymus had to suppress a groan. He immediately sensed that it was very important to the Grand Duke and that it was best not just to feign interest, but to feign excitement. "That is a very amazing book, was it all done by hand?"

"It was done completely by hand. We have a workshop that specializes in that type of thing. I have a gift for you, Mr. Panzer, as well.", with that another servant arrived with a different box. Inside the box was an elegant cavalry saber, engraved with both the Duke's name on one side of the blade, and Heironymus's name on the other. "I hope you like it, of course, I have more copies of the chronicle if books suit you better."
Last edited by Knessniet on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 am

Uan aa Boa wrote:Adeema's eyes widened slightly at the sight of the books. With a word of thanks to the servant she opened the top one and leafed through the first few pages. In her mind she did a quick calculation - 5000 Knessmarks was roughly equivalent to 1200 jade hearts. It was useful to know how much money constituted an amount worth commenting on. How childlike to boast about the cost of a physical copy rather than simply having it digitised and making it available online to everyone.

"These are magnificent - effectively a primary source running back to the 6th century. As a humble diplomat I am perhaps not the best person to appreciate their value, but with your permission I will have them donated to the history department of our foremost university, where they can be given their proper status as part of the historical record. On their behalf, I thank you for such a gift."

Turning to Hieronymous, she returned his smile. "Certainly I have a great admiration for the heroes of our movement and their great achievements. They would agree themselves, however, that if they themselves had never lived, or had died in infancy, that eventually someone else would have done what they did. Maybe not at the same time or in the same way, but with a similar result. They endured great oppression and adversity, and such circumstances are what make great men and women out of ordinary people. This is what tyrants always overlook," she said, looking up at the Duke with a sunny smile.

When she mentioned tyrants, the Duke flinched a little. "Of course, I encourage you to donate them to your university. Just last month, I ordered a new set for the University of Knessniet, my alma mater. I have read them, in their entirety, only once. It takes two years on average, it's a very long chronicle. In fact, a fifth volume is in the works. You'll notice those books end at 1875, so we are working on one to fill it in up to now."

User avatar
Saarkrisken
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 137
Founded: Aug 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarkrisken » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:45 am

Hieronymous noticed Adeema's eyes glance towards their host as she said the word tyrant and suspected her words were meant as a veiled criticism. Still he gave no sign that he noticed. Schooled in the Saarkrisken approach to politics, he did not find the accusation of tyranny to be damaging at all. Instead, he was surprised she implied that tyrants did not count as great men. "Do you not find, that by definition tyrants are great men and certainly as much so as revolutionaries?" he began. "Although, a man who starts from a lowly position and moves to a higher one, has done a great thing. For example; the Duke Herman who founded this state, has created a greatness that his followers inherit and built upon. His Grace stands upon the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes." Pleased that he was able to compliment his host in his reply, the young diplomat felt smug and his confidence grew.

As the Duke presented him with the sword, Hieronymous was genuinely surprised. He had not expected a gift, and certainly not one so valuable. He however had no idea about swords. As a career diplomat he was exempt from military service, not that Saarkrisken soldiers used swords that much anyway. "Thank you very much, I will treasure this always, of a sign of our friendship. I am truly honoured" replied Panzer as he received the sword and admired it.

User avatar
Knessniet
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1182
Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Knessniet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:57 am

Saarkrisken wrote:Hieronymous noticed Adeema's eyes glance towards their host as she said the word tyrant and suspected her words were meant as a veiled criticism. Still he gave no sign that he noticed. Schooled in the Saarkrisken approach to politics, he did not find the accusation of tyranny to be damaging at all. Instead, he was surprised she implied that tyrants did not count as great men. "Do you not find, that by definition tyrants are great men and certainly as much so as revolutionaries?" he began. "Although, a man who starts from a lowly position and moves to a higher one, has done a great thing. For example; the Duke Herman who founded this state, has created a greatness that his followers inherit and built upon. His Grace stands upon the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes." Pleased that he was able to compliment his host in his reply, the young diplomat felt smug and his confidence grew.

As the Duke presented him with the sword, Hieronymous was genuinely surprised. He had not expected a gift, and certainly not one so valuable. He however had no idea about swords. As a career diplomat he was exempt from military service, not that Saarkrisken soldiers used swords that much anyway. "Thank you very much, I will treasure this always, of a sign of our friendship. I am truly honoured" replied Panzer as he received the sword and admired it.

"How very kind of you, Mr. Panzer. I agree, if the first Duke Herman wasn't great, than who was? If he hadn't ordered it, that book wouldn't exist. If he hadn't done any of the great things he did, this palace wouldn't be here, and I'd be a measly count, no doubt just one in ceremony. If there is one thing I hate more than democracy, it's constitutional monarchy. To see the potential of the monarch so wasted, it's infuriating.", by now, the Duke wasn't smiling anymore, but once he was done ranting, he started again. "Oh look! Dinner!"

With that, many servants came in, with heaping platters of food. One yelled, "Tonight's Special is veal piccata, with a side of pasta. We also have roast beef with a side of mashed potatoes. Bread comes with all meals." With that, servants stared about the room, taking orders from the patrons, and fetching their desired food from the center table. "We would like to thank Chef Giuseppe Romano for agreeing to contract with us for the night.", the servant finished.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaaaaa, Allied Sapients, Almorea, Bienenhalde, Bolrieg, Hiachijan, Main Nation Ministry, Nyte, Saint Sowena and the Morhaedines, Suid Kaap

Advertisement

Remove ads