NATION

PASSWORD

Great Nortan Railway Tour: IC [OPEN]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Adab wrote:Shalmaneser gazed at the tower in amazement. He had seen some medieval towers back home, but most medieval structures there had either been demolished or fallen into decay over the centuries. This one, however, was very much intact - and indeed its beauty seemed to have been untarnished by the passage of time. That, or it had been renovated a few times. He listened intently as Mr. Wainwright went into details on the tower's history and specifications before announcing that they were climbing the tower, his eyes alternating between him and the tower. He nodded as Mr. Wainwright, ever the considerate man, warned those who were afraid of heights or too tired to make the climb.

"I see, how many steps do we have to climb?" commented the young lord. "Even too many steps will tire a young man's knees," he added, pointing to his knees with a grin.

'There are a total of 536 steps in the Stone Tower,' replied Mr Wainwright. 'Don't worry. There has been installed an ascending chamber lift inside if you should require assistance. However, many people do say they prefer to climb the steps.'

After they alighted the tram, Mr Wainwright skilfully guided his group towards the imposing entrance in the city walls to the Second Tower. The arched portcullis gate was tall, maybe 15 feet high, with stout iron bars. Mr Wainwright produced his commission from the King as one of the King's Stewards of Touring to the gatekeeper and then ushered the group through. The tower was right in front of them, the lichen-encrusted stone slicked still with the morning dew so that it glinted in the sun. Save for a few navy-blue guardsmen and the odd pair of soldiers, the square was empty. A middle aged military man, dressed in the navy-blue winter uniform of the Royal Army with sword, tunic and peaked cap, marched towards them with another, younger officer dressed similarly.

'Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am Captain Siemering of the Queen's Foot Guards, the Orderly Officer for to-day at His Majesty's Staggate Barracks.' He gestured towards the tower behind him. 'This is the Second Tower of Lendert, officially known in the Army as the Second Semaphore and Sight Tower. Nowadays it is mostly used on ceremonial occasions; however, I am pleased to give you Lieutenant Brown here to accompany your Steward of Touring on a tour of the tower. Good day.' He then performed an abrupt about-turn on his heels and marched off.

'Good day, ladies and gentlemen. As Captain Siemering said, I am Lieutenant Brown, otherwise you may call me Mr Brown or Lord Cravehouse, and I am also of the Queen's Foot Guards. Please step this way, to enter the Tower.'
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:38 am

Great Nortend wrote:'There are a total of 536 steps in the Stone Tower,' replied Mr Wainwright. 'Don't worry. There has been installed an ascending chamber lift inside if you should require assistance. However, many people do say they prefer to climb the steps.'

After they alighted the tram, Mr Wainwright skilfully guided his group towards the imposing entrance in the city walls to the Second Tower. The arched portcullis gate was tall, maybe 15 feet high, with stout iron bars. Mr Wainwright produced his commission from the King as one of the King's Stewards of Touring to the gatekeeper and then ushered the group through. The tower was right in front of them, the lichen-encrusted stone slicked still with the morning dew so that it glinted in the sun. Save for a few navy-blue guardsmen and the odd pair of soldiers, the square was empty. A middle aged military man, dressed in the navy-blue winter uniform of the Royal Army with sword, tunic and peaked cap, marched towards them with another, younger officer dressed similarly.

'Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am Captain Siemering of the Queen's Foot Guards, the Orderly Officer for to-day at His Majesty's Staggate Barracks.' He gestured towards the tower behind him. 'This is the Second Tower of Lendert, officially known in the Army as the Second Semaphore and Sight Tower. Nowadays it is mostly used on ceremonial occasions; however, I am pleased to give you Lieutenant Brown here to accompany your Steward of Touring on a tour of the tower. Good day.' He then performed an abrupt about-turn on his heels and marched off.

'Good day, ladies and gentlemen. As Captain Siemering said, I am Lieutenant Brown, otherwise you may call me Mr Brown or Lord Cravehouse, and I am also of the Queen's Foot Guards. Please step this way, to enter the Tower.'

Jose looked up at the tower as they entered. "You know, this shouldn't be that bad. If I'm remembering correctly, the Vatican's dome is almost just as high. And let me tell you all, those are a mess on its own. The steps spiral from the ground and separates at different areas in the Basilica. But eventually you do reach the top a tired, satisfied mess. The end gets tricky though because for some reason, not only does the stairway narrow, it slants, so you have to make it up awkwardly." Jose explained as he reminisced his trip. "And this tower looks great by the way, for how old it is, Lord Cravehouse."

Previous

Return to NationStates