NATION

PASSWORD

The Royal Gungisburg Opera Festival (MT IC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Oberreich
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

The Royal Gungisburg Opera Festival (MT IC)

Postby Oberreich » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 am

To apply:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=440245
IC:

The ruins of Castle Gungisburg stand over the city which bears its name, a reminder of the city's importance long ago. The once strategic settlement has now become a sleepy city of moderate size, a place that would be forgotten, if not for the yearly opera festival, an event which almost doubled the city's population for a few weeks in the year.

The city park where the festival took place was even renamed from Stadtpark to Operpark because of the festival. A rather large park, done in the natural English style, with large open spaces created an idyllic setting for the festival. The park itself was surrounded by villas in divers styles from gothic to baroque. At the southern end stood the Royal Opera House, the crown jewel of the city, in a neoclassical style, its grandeur dwarfed the nearby villas.

The tickets to watch the evening performances cost more than the average citizen could afford, but the festival not only erected a large screen in the park, but offered a variety of other amusements during the day, including amateur performances on the several open air stages. Not to mentioned the beer tents.

From his window in the Stadtpalais, Leopold watched the yellow and white striped beer tents being erected.

"Your Majesty?" A stiff voice, belonging to the King's servant, drew his attention away from the window.

"What is it Friedrichs?" asked the King. Before the servant could answer, Leopold noticed the letter in Friedrichs' hand. "An official message" said the King, providing the answer to his own question, as he took the letter and read it.

Great he thought as he read it. Now they have taken to arranging my lunch schedule. The letter, was from the Minister of State informing his Majesty that he, the King would host a lunch with several VIPs, that very day, before the opening ceremony. The King saw nothing left to do, but to embrace his situation and get dressed.

Kuronami
Minister

Founded: Nov 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Hotel Room

Nothing quite like a time at the opera and being able to kill two birds with one stone is the best as today Finé was going to meet the King of a nation and being a lover of the fine arts from theater, to opera to the symphony she was going to be able to attend the local opera that evening. The one disappointment she didn't get a chance to bring her beloved Izetta along for this trip but it was anything but a lonely trip because Hyeon-Mi Il and her father from the Empire's eastern most Provence was in attendance. To a lesser extent so was Lotte, Finé's personal handmaiden and Bianca her bodyguard but they were more along for business. If anything she was ready to give Lotte money to go have fun as a tourist for a while. "Almost done, Your Majesty!" Lotte cheerfully was doing the finishing touches on both Fine's makeup and hair "You're a miracle worker, Lotte!" Finé praised her for how well she got her looking good. "I guess the time change has been tough on you." Lotte mused about how Fine hadn't slept much.

"Yeah kind of odd I usually don't have this much trouble adjusting given how much I traveled. Not too much makeup I do have a lunch-in-first we can save more for tonight."

"Mmmaybe you're just lonely without your dear companion" the voice of Hyeon-Mi teased. Unlike Finé, Hyeon-Mi's long hair was unruly and could not be tamed. She also was opting to go in her "everyday" wear, everyday for her but exotic enough for most others. It was a traditional outfit of the region.

"Hey you shouldn't tease Her Highness like that." Lotte protested

"It's all right" Finé giggled, there was a kernel of truth to it and considering the rather "wild" time the two of them had in their visit to Kyrenaia one wondered when the two would just tie the knot already. "Anyway you really sure you don't want Lotte to do anything for you?"

"I'm sure, she's your maiden to your care it wouldn't be proper of me to use her time."

A gentle knock on their door, opening was Bianca poking in first. "Lord Il, Your Highness."

"It's fine let him in." Fine replied. Bianca stood aside to allow His Lordship to pass. "Ah, Your Highness, you look beautiful and ravishing I must say." He gave a slight bow to her and his eyes turned to his daughter "And my dear, you look beautiful too."

"Thank you, father, but I look almost the same as I do everyday when attending Court with you." she stood to hug her father.

"Lord Il, you really sure you want to spend the entire day with the both of us, frankly the same with you Hyeon-Mi, I have to meet the nation's king first. Even then I know Lord you aren't quite the lover of Western Opera as I am."

"I can put up with it, besides as any potential rotational candidates for Empress, of course only if so willed by the Heavens, it's good for Hyeon-Mi to learn about international politics."

Somehow Lord Il's quick correction wasn't much comfort to Fine, not that she was worried she would be killed at this particular time but anything can happen as Empress. "You have a point there. Hyeon-Mi you feel the same?"

"I do. Father is right I should learn this. Maybe if I did better in school I would have at least been considered for Empress when Emperor Hermánn died. But still, I felt you were the best for the job, Your Majesty."

"I appreciate it." In terms of domestic politics it was a surprise Hang-Gang didn't compete with Amaterasu for the throne given the on-again-off-again tensions between the two domains.

"Milady, I don't mean to rush but we must be going." Bianca urged them along

"Oh right. Lotte." Lotte gave Fine her red overcoat and hat. "All right if everyone is ready let's go."

St Alexandria
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby St Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Louis threw his suitcase down on the bed and stared out of the window. Castle Gungisburg did not look at all important. In fact, it looked the polar opposite of where one would host an opera festival in St Alexandria. He was used to lavish buildings with columns, great bronze statues of King Philip and Queen Alexandria, the scent of grilled boar wafting around the spring air. Though as humble as the town was, he supposed there was a certain charm to it; the castle's ruins were in sound condition, the streets seemed nice, the people friendly. For the fact that it was the one place on Earth where he wasn't hounded about his drug problem, he supposed the town had at least deserved some credit at that.

Louis pressed a button on his telephone. "Three bottles of soave, please." He hoped the stewardess was pretty, though they often were. God forbid if it was a man.

Opening his suitcase, he pulled out the neatly-folded tuxedo that he would don for tonight's opera festival. It was crisp, clean, and well-tailored, but it was still far less adequate than the tuxedos his brothers often wore. He wondered if he would look poor against the wealthy elite of Oberreich. He wondered if he would enter into another affair tonight. What if it was with one of the King's own royal family? Christ, that would be a tale to tell the kids.

It was later that the steward (unfortunately) arrived to remind him of the money he had ill spent. "Your bottles of soave, sir."

"Thank you," the prince replied. How he detested the word 'sir,' when 'Your Royal Highness' was all they ever called his brothers.

Kyrenaia
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 am

A Hotel Room in Gungisburg.
"Weren't we supposed to be on a vacation?", she... somewhere teased and complained. Of course, she would never shirk away from her duties as a Princess of Kyrenaia, but she would tease her father about it regardless.
She was blonde, her long hair open and combed, but not styled (she had it never styled), her blue eyes sparkling like sapphires. A pretty young woman of seventeen years, with light olive skin, of a curvy, yet sporty built. She had spent the day with her father, on a vacation, touring the ruined castle above the city before the two of them would attend the opening ceremony of the Royal Opera Festival.
Of course, she had toured the castle ruins in t-shirt and jeans, but now, she was dressed well and for the occassion, a lunch with the King and a few other VIPs. To that end, she wore one of the classical garnments worn by any woman of style to many occassions: A little black dress. This particular model had a plunging v-neckline crafted from sheer mesh fabric, giving a barely-there-illusion. The dress itself had an open back, with cross over straps, and was adorned with intricate black sequin embellished leaves, fitting her body perfectly.
She would turn heads, with a bit of sultryness, her long, blonde hair in a chignon, at the back of her head, secured with a hairpin, a slim and simple silver one. Dress and hairstyle would, after refreshing after dinner, be appropriate for the official opening of the opera as well.
Her father, a brown-haired man with golden eyes, a smirk on his angular face, tall and broad shouldered, shrugged. He was in his mid-thirties, a bon-vivant and a patron of the arts. Usually, that meant visual arts, but he also liked operas. Kyrenaians, as a people, were not too much into operas, though, they were far more fond of dances when it came to performing arts, but he had set out to teach his daughter to appreciate them during their vacation - and what better way then the Royal Gungisburg Opera Festival?
He was dressed for the occassion, too, Black Tie, as it was: White dress shirt, black bow tie, a kamarband (or cummerbund in the rest of the world), dinner jacket, pants, both in black, as well as leather dress shoes, shined until the extreme. He did not wear a wristwatch, but a small golden chain showed, that he had a pocket watch with him.
"Apparently, it's a more recent development.", he said and shrugged, "We can check that street vendor out tomorrow evening, too."
Aurelia bint-Damir, Princess of the Ilkhanate of Utica, nodded. "Yeah, let's do that. But in something less formal!"
"Well...", Prince Damir ibn-Razia, a Prince of the Ilkhanate of Utica and her father, said with a grin, "Let's get going. 'Fashionably late is for..."
"...is for idiots, who can't read a watch.", Aurelia added with a smile and looked to her father, a teasing smile on her face.
They neither handmaidens or bodyguards with them, had sent a note about their presence in the country to the official authorites and were, otherwise, leaving everyone alone. It had been supposed to be a short vacation for the two of them, during Calving Week, but alas... the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had different plans, as it seemed. Dinner parties were usually fun, too, Aurelia thought.
And she would have an excuse why she fell asleep during tonight's opera, but that was another story...
RPing in MT and PT.

Oberreich
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Oberreich » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm

The lunch would take place in the Rittersaal or knight's hall in the Stadtpalais. In was part of the old wing of the palace, and is much smaller than the newer Grand Hall. Still it would comfortably seat all the guests. It was a well let room, the on side being full of large windows. It had however a gothic look, as the walls were left unpainted and grey. The only decoration was a few tapestries, their bright colors betraying their modern origin, the originals had been lost in a fire long ago.

The King waited in a side room as the guests were ushered to their places. A young man approached him, wearing a unstructured suit in blue, a contrast in formality to the King's own charcoal suit.

"You must be kidding" said Leopold. The young man at first feigned ignorance, but it was apparent from his Majesty's body language that he meant to the suit.

"Do not worry father, it is not a state dinner" replied the young man. Not convinced by his son, the king looked at his watch and grumbled about it being to late. Sure enough, the butler announced the King and Crown Prince. Side by side they entered.

King Leopold took his seat at the head of the table, while the Crown Prince found his seat on the side. The guests had been arranged according to their rank, but also, so that it alternated gender. The Empress was to the King's right and to her right was Prince Louis etc.

"I would like to personality welcome you all to my kingdom and my table" began Leopold. "I would like to introduce my son and heir, the Crown Prince, Albert Conrad, and my ward, Countess Anne Sofia." As he spoke he indicated first his son and then a young lady of maybe 25 years in a green dress.

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Oberreich wrote:The lunch would take place in the Rittersaal or knight's hall in the Stadtpalais. In was part of the old wing of the palace, and is much smaller than the newer Grand Hall. Still it would comfortably seat all the guests. It was a well let room, the on side being full of large windows. It had however a gothic look, as the walls were left unpainted and grey. The only decoration was a few tapestries, their bright colors betraying their modern origin, the originals had been lost in a fire long ago.

The King waited in a side room as the guests were ushered to their places. A young man approached him, wearing a unstructured suit in blue, a contrast in formality to the King's own charcoal suit.

"You must be kidding" said Leopold. The young man at first feigned ignorance, but it was apparent from his Majesty's body language that he meant to the suit.

"Do not worry father, it is not a state dinner" replied the young man. Not convinced by his son, the king looked at his watch and grumbled about it being to late. Sure enough, the butler announced the King and Crown Prince. Side by side they entered.

King Leopold took his seat at the head of the table, while the Crown Prince found his seat on the side. The guests had been arranged according to their rank, but also, so that it alternated gender. The Empress was to the King's right and to her right was Prince Louis etc.

"I would like to personality welcome you all to my kingdom and my table" began Leopold. "I would like to introduce my son and heir, the Crown Prince, Albert Conrad, and my ward, Countess Anne Sofia." As he spoke he indicated first his son and then a young lady of maybe 25 years in a green dress.

Rittersaal of the Stadtpalais.
Aurelia and Damir had been on time, had been led into the Rittersaal, along the beautiful gothik architecture - even if it lacked colour on the walls, the tapestries made more then up for it. Aurelia guessed, that they were either very well preserved originals or actually replicas - she couldn't say for sure, though, she would have to look it up.
In the end, it did not matter as they were ushered to their places as dinner began, sorted by rank and alternating gender.
The Empress of Kuronami, which both of the Kyrenaians had found to much of their surprise was not here with her beloved Izetta, was right next to the King (on the place of the guest of honour in most table etiquettes, no less). They knew each other, all four of them, thanks to the Ball celebrating the Sultana's Throne Anniversary, a few months ago, where Damir had been the one greeting guests during the evening and Aurelia had chatted with the two of them for a bit.
Her company, however, was unknown, as was the man next to her, clad in an tuxedo, that was crisp, clean and well-made, quite fitting for such an occassion. He seemed quite relaxed.
Down the line, as they were only a Prince and a Princess (albeit of the Sultana's House, but still only a Prince and Princess), Damir and Aurelia sat. To her left, a gentleman she did not know sat, while her father was to her right.
They took it in good humour, Aurelia mumbling something about needing a few fancy, meaningless titles to her father with a wink, who snorted in amusement.
Aurelia refused any offered alcohol, she was seventeen, yes, but she knew her limits... and she didn't want to drink anyone under the table. That would be an embarrassment to both her father, to Kyrenaia and to herself and she couldn't have that.
Then the King arrived, the Crown Prince entering with him, a young woman, older then Aurelia by a good margin, being introduced as well. She was pretty, while the Crown Prince's suit lacked his father's suit's formality. The younger of the two men was not bad looking, if one asked Aurelia, though, but she had a boyfriend.
They listened to the introductions with interest, nodding along, but otherwise, they remained silent. The time for general chatting would come later and they would be very actively engage in that, but for now, while the important toasts came, they would remain silent.
This was a formal dinner, after all.
RPing in MT and PT.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am

Getting a glance at the table there were quite a few other guests to no surprise including some from Kyrenaia. How fitting having attending a gala with them not too long ago. Among them was the Princess Aurelia a young noble of their kingdom probably close to Fine's age no doubt. There were also some rumors she was in a relationship or at least in a fling with the Duchess of AHSCA but they were just that, RUMORS and Fine didn't pay stock to rumors. There was also Prince Damir ibn-Razia not much more that wasn't already available in normal international fact files. It was interesting it wasn't the Sultana but then again not every leader was the globe trotter that Fine was.

When the King, Prince and Countess entered the room, Fine stood out of respect and took her seat once they were seated. As fate had it she was seated right next to him with what seemed to be sorting according to rank.

"Your Majesty" Fine greeted the King "Crowned Prince and Countess I wish you good day. Thank you for having us it's a pleasure to be here today. Great to also see many of my fellow nobles have gathered here as well. Guess we're all patrons of the arts."

Oberreich
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Oberreich » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am

The food was brought in by servant in livery, or at least a less formal and more modern version of livery, cut shorter and in a light green color. The main dish was a seasonal favorite, schnitzel stuffed with cheese, ham and white asparagus. The side was, as often in Oberreich potatoes, in this case being roasted golden brown.

"I hope you enjoy the food, the vegetables all come from my garden" said the King. "Not that I grew them myself" he added to ensure there was no misunderstanding. Albert Conrad suppressed a laugh, the result of imaging his father with a spade.

As everyone began small talk with their neighbor, Anne Sofia turned to Aurelia and Damir and asked them if it was their first time in Oberreich, although she was pretty sure it was. At the same time the Crown Prince asked Prince Louis if he hunts.

King Leopold, having heard the Empress was an opera fan, began to question her about her favorite singers. "I am really excited about this year's festival. The casting director has cast a wide net and brought in some wonderful talent" he said. "Tell me, who is your favorite soprano? "

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

Oberreich wrote:The food was brought in by servant in livery, or at least a less formal and more modern version of livery, cut shorter and in a light green color. The main dish was a seasonal favorite, schnitzel stuffed with cheese, ham and white asparagus. The side was, as often in Oberreich potatoes, in this case being roasted golden brown.

"I hope you enjoy the food, the vegetables all come from my garden" said the King. "Not that I grew them myself" he added to ensure there was no misunderstanding. Albert Conrad suppressed a laugh, the result of imaging his father with a spade.

As everyone began small talk with their neighbor, Anne Sofia turned to Aurelia and Damir and asked them if it was their first time in Oberreich, although she was pretty sure it was. At the same time the Crown Prince asked Prince Louis if he hunts.

King Leopold, having heard the Empress was an opera fan, began to question her about her favorite singers. "I am really excited about this year's festival. The casting director has cast a wide net and brought in some wonderful talent" he said. "Tell me, who is your favorite soprano? "

The food smelled and was delicious, although the thought of the King growing the vegetables himself, by his own hand, was not as absurd as it sounded for the Kyrenaians: For example, the Khan of Jabal, Adil ibn-Amir, maintained a grove of date trees together with his mother, even brewing a potent brew from the fruits. One, which he shared with close friends. The Sultana had a small herb garden, which she maintained by her lonesome with willing and voluntary helpers. The list could be continued for a while.
Of course, none of that were large agricultural ventures and the yield of these small gardens and groves could definately be greater, but it gave those, who maintained them, a valuable centre of gravity, an activity so basic, that it calmed them in the raging torrents of time and politics.
That, and the Sultana swore, that the herbal baths she prepared from her herbs were the best she ever had.
But another matter was more pressing: Countess Anne Sofia had asked whether this was their first time in Oberreich.
Aurelia nodded with enthusiasm, her father occupied due to his mouth being full. "Yes, it is.", the young woman said with a smile, "And I love it, to be honest. Father and I..." One could note her shift to a more formal way of expressing, calling her father indeed Father and not the less formal and more familiar Dad. "...came here a few days ago on a vacation. We plan on visiting Castle Gungisburg tomorrow and to attend quite a few operas over the next few days."
RPing in MT and PT.

Kuronami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kuronami » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:55 am

Oberreich wrote:The food was brought in by servant in livery, or at least a less formal and more modern version of livery, cut shorter and in a light green color. The main dish was a seasonal favorite, schnitzel stuffed with cheese, ham and white asparagus. The side was, as often in Oberreich potatoes, in this case being roasted golden brown.

"Ah there's something to be said about a King who has a garden of his own. I have one myself. Favorite Soprano huh? Well there's a number that I like but a favorite would have to be a local of my nation, Sylphynford Taube, she's one of our most accomplished performers. I know I'm biased for my own country but I've admired a few from around the world. I wouldn't be surprised if I find one here."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates