NATION

PASSWORD

Empyrean Dev Blog (FT Area w/ Economic & Conflict mechanics)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Empyrean Dev Blog (FT Area w/ Economic & Conflict mechanics)

Postby Varrosha » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 am

(Please note, I've restarted this topic after it existed on Economics & Trade for the past year, after advisement, you can learn a great deal about what has been going on via that thread on the link below, but please direct any responses to this thread.)

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=382140

Welcome to the early days of Empyrean, a region (mini-game) under development within the NS community. Empyrean contains various gameplay mechanics (some complex, others simple) that I hope to translate into javascript at a later point for ease of use and tracking versus the depth of micromanagement that currently exists. That's not to say its too much but a nice interface with easy tracking with be a natural progression of the system.

What is Empyrean?
A futuristic space-based theme and setting which allows players to create governments and planets, along with mechanics on each planet from an economic and resource perspective. There are also interstellar corporations competing to sell their products and build their factories along with a simple yet detailed conflict system for militaries, mercenaries and outlaws.

The setting has humanity seeded amongst the stars after an AI uprising repressed Earth to protect us from ourselves. These entities transplanted us across the galaxy to numerous planets linked by Quantum Gates. In a last ditch effort to destroy the AI, a machine virus known as the nanophage was developed. It successfully destroyed the AI but it was too late, the machines had completed their goal and mankind had been spread across the heavens. It's taken centuries but these worlds have at last begun to develop space-capable travel and they are beginning to access their dormant Quantum Gates and communicate with each other.

Done
Planetary Population Growth
Labour Forces
Pensions
Healthcare
Education
Supply & Demand
GDP
Primary Industry Creation
Stellar Population
Conflict
Military Character Creation
Political Character Creation
Bonds & Bills

Currently
Celestial Object Population
Military Assets
Bonds & Bills Process

To Do
Government Creation
Corporation Creation
Corporation Functionality
Tourism
Migration
Cultural Impact
Stock Market

Without a doubt these lists will grow as I find more aspects to flesh out. But a basic working model on the precipice of functionality.

I intend to use this thread as a development blog, and will happily answer any questions from interested parties and welcome suggestions. My hope is to attract some people to peer review the material soon and hopefully attract a few people to test play the system.

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I've been working on part 2 of celestial object generation today and I've come to an interesting dilemma. Do I systemise planet generation wherein you are allowed to design a solar system with a limited number of points (each artefact carrying a varying cost) with a few elements of random generation in tow, or do I open the system to let people just make whatever solar system they want? Given the RP nature of the endeavour the latter holds merit, but there are tangible variables in how you play as well, and to get the best result you would always choose the best combination. I think maybe I need to find a balance of the two, giving the former concept enough latitude to let a lot of different system layouts be possible, giving the community enough breathing room to fully express itself; whether they make a system inside a nebula, or full of nothing but asteroid fields, a supernova graveyard or a system with a dozen varying worlds.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Uh...this is NSG, NationStates General. Everything in here is OOC and discussion/debate.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Varrosha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Varrosha » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Okay, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place. I've asked a moderator for advice, apologies for causing any issues.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm

I've moved this to NS because I think it fits here better than NSG, but I am not 100% sure that this is the right place for it. It's conceivable that another mod who is more familiar with the ins and outs of the RP boards might move it again.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm

There really isn't an appropriate place for this anywhere on the forums; it's not strictly an RP region application thread, and NS is not your blog in general. If you want to develop such a region on NS, by all means, feel free, but this isn't the place for you to log a running commentary of your processes. If you want to do that, you should consider actually creating a blog or using dispatches. This can stay locked.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Return to NationStates