
Phillip Gardner ousted as Hamptonshire Minister-President
After serving in his position for just under 4 months, Phillip Gardner has been ousted in a vote of no confidence

21 December, 2020 | Kirchester

After only a few short months as Minister-President, Phillip Gardner has been ousted from his office and the Province's government has collapsed following Hamptonshire's wing of The Centre pulling out of the coalition on Thursday. Yesterday, Stefan Marsh, the Province's Leader of the Opposition tabled a motion of no confidence against Gardner as his approval rating tumbled.
Even before Thursday's dramatic events, there were rumours circulating that Jo Bailey, deputy Minister-President and leader of The Centre in Hamptonshire was considering resigning after the coalition in the Folkssenaat was approved by the Premier. Bailey had considered resigning after the coalition announcement but was told not to by Party officials.
Despite this Bailey and other Centre members were absent from several cabinet meetings. Education Secretary William De Boer acknowledged his party's absence in a meeting with the press on Wednesday. De Boer said there were disagreements in the Provincial Government but they hoped they could be resolved before any major issues occurred.
However on Thursday afternoon members of the press were invited to a press conference by Jo Bailey, many were expecting to hear that a resolution had been found. Instead Bailey announced her party's intention to withdraw from the coalition and join the opposition, denying the government of a majority. Bailey's statement drew immediate reaction from the Provincial Government saying they are shocked and saddened by the statement but respect the Party's decision.
Sources inside the Gardner administration however say after Bailey's statement the government was in chaos. Gardner himself was said to be furious with the party even going as far as to calling the Premier and complaining. Gardner was expected to select replacement cabinet secretaries on Wednesday until his ousting.
The Leader of the Opposition and newly elected leader of the Socialist Party, Stefan Marsh, welcomed the move saying that the party would be welcomed in challenging the government. Marsh tabled the motion of no confidence after being urged to by other opposition politicians.
The motion was hotly contested in the Assembly with some reports saying The Centre would abstain giving Gardner's Sotirian Democratic Front the upper hand. However during the vote, the party voted with the opposition and the motion passed 66-59. This is the first time a Minister-President in Hamptonshire has been forced to resign since the 1980s.
However following the vote, the assembly was unable to decide on a successor to Gardner. Marsh's candidacy was the closest with 65 votes against and 60 in favour. Marsh and the Socialist Party have opened negotiations with several parties including The Centre, the Green Socialists and the province's Liberal People's Party. Marsh is the most likely candidate at the moment to become Minister-President.
If no candidate can secure a motion of confidence by the Assembly within 7 days, President Hepke Veltman is required by law to dissolve the assembly and call a regional election. If this happens the SDF are still enjoying a large lead in the polls although it's not expected to be as dramatic as Elliott's landslide victory earlier this month.
Comments [ 9849 ] |
E-mail©HamptonshireDailyNews 2020
9849 comments
- Hamptonshire to the polls? [ 7548 ]
- Train evacuated after smoke detected[ 935 ]

























































