NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Adventure (Closed--attn Eridani Imperium)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New Dornalia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 pm

As the others were busy prepping the dragons and carving them up with great fervor, Alejandra could be seen taking down the Kadrian's story on her notepad. The tale of great heroes that ascended into godhood was too much for the Dornalians to ignore, and Alejandra would definitely want to preserve this for posterity. So far, all she had was just notes, and she had enough written for a rather long article--or even some nonfiction books.

As Agnar ended the story, Alejandra nodded. The last part sounded more than a bit familiar--the part where the "souls of the brave and just live forever." It sounded like something she had heard from an old movie, or an old metal album--her roommate in college had plenty of those sorts of albums--or even her studies of the Classics.

"That last part....I think there was an an old Earth civilization which had that sort of place. A place where heroes and legends lived long after their physical deaths, chosen by the great god Odin. Odin needed soldiers for the end times, and who better than those who were proven legends and heroes in their own time? Now, I dunno how that realm you mentioned works, but this realm was basically a bigass buffet, filled with the finest mead and the finest foods. People could fight there in the afternoon for fun, and heal and eat up by supper as if nothing happened. Do the whole cycle over and over again, until it came time to do battle at the end of time."

She then paused and added, "Come to think of it, it sounds slightly less heroic to me now versus what you guys have, but that's what it all reminded me of. It's called Valhalla, though."
"New Dornalia, a living example of anomalous civilizations."-- Phoenix Conclave
"Your nation has always been ridiculous. But it's endearing."--Skaugra
"It's a magical place where chinese cowboys ply the star lanes to extract vast wealth from trade, where NORINCO isn't just an arms company, but an evil bond villain type conglomerate that hides in other nations. Where the apocalypse happened, and everyone went "huh, that's neat" and then got back to having catgirls and starships."-- Olimpiada
"...why am I space China, and I don't have actual magic animals, and you're space USA, and you do? This seems like a mistake." --Roania, during a discussion on wildlife.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 pm

"That sounds like what we have, but minus the end of days. You see, we believe that time is an endless cycle. The beginning and the end are one and the same, while the journey in between is different every cycle. At the end of the cycle, the Giants will come back and recreate the universe, and their descendants will rebel, restarting the cycle."

"As for our afterlife, Imagine a valley of tall trees, ringed by the largest mountains you will ever see - that is Várdalr, the Forgotten Vale. Imagine, in that valley, a hill where a majestic hall stands. This hall is Skóghalr - Foresthome, also known as Journey's End. In that hall, the spirits of the dead sing old songs of the forests, while drinking the finest ale. The immortal heroes, Iston and Aurwen have thrones in that hall, and lead hunting parties into the forests to slay Dragons, and all manner of beasts. The warriors fight each other to the death, and are resurrected by Aurwen before the evening feast. This continues day after day, until the end of the cycle when the spirits return to the living and time begins anew."
NSWB Discord | Factbook | We Go Different, And In Thunder
DEFCON: ORANGE - FLEETS MOBILIZED, REINFORCEMENTS OUTBOUND
"If Menelmacar is the successful corporate executive parents with a nice house, your people are the black sheep daughter that parties with the wrong crowd and has a batshit crazy boyfriend." - The Eternal Ascendancy of Menelmacar

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:08 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"That sounds like what we have, but minus the end of days. You see, we believe that time is an endless cycle. The beginning and the end are one and the same, while the journey in between is different every cycle. At the end of the cycle, the Giants will come back and recreate the universe, and their descendants will rebel, restarting the cycle."

"As for our afterlife, Imagine a valley of tall trees, ringed by the largest mountains you will ever see - that is Várdalr, the Forgotten Vale. Imagine, in that valley, a hill where a majestic hall stands. This hall is Skóghalr - Foresthome, also known as Journey's End. In that hall, the spirits of the dead sing old songs of the forests, while drinking the finest ale. The immortal heroes, Iston and Aurwen have thrones in that hall, and lead hunting parties into the forests to slay Dragons, and all manner of beasts. The warriors fight each other to the death, and are resurrected by Aurwen before the evening feast. This continues day after day, until the end of the cycle when the spirits return to the living and time begins anew."

Alejandra nodded as she wrote the story down, fascinated by the similarities. They seemed to be more than surface level--the concepts of eternal combat after death were there, as was the buffet. The only thing different was that the whole thing was cyclical, versus the time of Ragnarok/Gottendammerung--although when one thought of it, the latter lead to a cycle of renewal also, of sorts.

"Well. That sounds about like what we have on Earth. The only difference is that instead of going straight to renewal, there are the end times I mentioned earlier. We called them Ragnarok, or the Gottendammerung. Depending on who you talked to."

Alejandra then heard a cough, and turned and saw Connie. Connie laughed and said, "I see we're discussing comparative classical mythology now?"

"Well, the story seemed to be that interesting." Holding up her knife, which was covered in dragon's blood, "Besides, I've been helping a bit to disassemble the dragons, and Agnar has likely been doing his part. Not like I've been sitting here chatting away, man."

"Oh, no, not insinuating anything. I just found it interesting," the elf said with a smirk. "I didn't know you knew so much about the classics?"

"It's called university. It's a place where they make you sit in lecture halls, read works by long dead people, speak about some stuff and then take a test at the end to make sure you regurgitated it all on a piece of paper. Besides, we've both been through it, Connie," Alejandra said as she worked to disassemble the dragon a bit more. "Besides, you were in class with me, remember?"

"Well, yes, but not for Comparative Warfighting Literature 452. You took that course, I took mine."

"Underwater Basket Weaving?" Alejandra said with a raised eyebrow and a laugh.

"Very funny," Connie said with a laugh. "I meant Native Cultures of the Republic 605, man. Studying about the Tentaculans, the Birdpeople of New Hokkaido, so on."

"Well, we all have our preferences." Alejandra then asked Agnar, "So, where were we?"
"It's a magical place where chinese cowboys ply the star lanes to extract vast wealth from trade, where NORINCO isn't just an arms company, but an evil bond villain type conglomerate that hides in other nations. Where the apocalypse happened, and everyone went "huh, that's neat" and then got back to having catgirls and starships."-- Olimpiada
"...why am I space China, and I don't have actual magic animals, and you're space USA, and you do? This seems like a mistake." --Roania, during a discussion on wildlife.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm

"I believe we were discussing comparative classical mythology." Agnar chuckled, sharpening his knife before continuing to prepare the dragon.

"So, I have to ask, I noticed you taking a lot of notes: are you planning to write all of this up?"
"If Menelmacar is the successful corporate executive parents with a nice house, your people are the black sheep daughter that parties with the wrong crowd and has a batshit crazy boyfriend." - The Eternal Ascendancy of Menelmacar

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"I believe we were discussing comparative classical mythology." Agnar chuckled, sharpening his knife before continuing to prepare the dragon.

"So, I have to ask, I noticed you taking a lot of notes: are you planning to write all of this up?"

Alejandra nodded.

"Well, it was originally for a magazine article about hunting dragons and the DornTube star over there." She pointed out Ivana, who was working the hardest to prepare the dragon and seemed to have plenty of efflua on her power armor suit.

Smiling, she said, helping to work on the dragon, "Something tells me I may have enough for a book discussing any number of things about the hunt. Like how to prepare a dragon, or even the tales involving the Blasted Fells. Basically, at this point, I may as well expand it into a book."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Agnar chose his next words carefully. The Kadrian wasn't sure how much the Dornies knew of Kadrian customs, but if they did know enough. He didn't want to make a fool of himself.

"I would be honored if you would let me help you write the book."

It seemed a innocent request, but a glimmer in Agnar's eyes told a completely different story.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:Agnar chose his next words carefully. The Kadrian wasn't sure how much the Dornies knew of Kadrian customs, but if they did know enough. He didn't want to make a fool of himself.

"I would be honored if you would let me help you write the book."

It seemed a innocent request, but a glimmer in Agnar's eyes told a completely different story.

With an offered handshake, Alejandra declared, "And I am glad to bestow that honor." She knew a little bit about the Kadrians' customs, but well, something within her saw it as merely an offer of assistance and maybe a nice bit of friendly networking. And well, it was always good to have someone make sure the Kadrian side of things was accurate.

It also helped that the Kadrian was...strangely charismatic. Not like in the manner of say, Dracula, but with a presence that compelled one to listen and actually consider what the other guy was saying. Certainly, something about Agnar--not just his encyclopedic knowledge and weary wisdom--made the offer that much more compelling to Alejandra. The others shrugged, and put the thought away as they continued their mighty task of breaking the dragon down, making sure that each person had a tooth to carve into a pendant.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Very good!" Agnar smiled, relieved that she took his offer without fanfare.

"I believe it's your turn to tell stories: where do you come from, and what is it like?" The Kadrian asked, cutting through a particularly tough piece of meat. By now, the first dragon had been stripped to its bones, and they were about a quarter of the way toward completely disassembling the second dragon.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:39 pm

"Well, I come from a world called New Star City--raised on the principal world there, MacIntyre City. Named after the man who reformed the oppressive dictatorship of the Workers' State into a democracy." Alejandra continued with a simple, "Mother was an insurance adjuster, father was a postman. Surprisingly, even in an age where one can send electronic messages and see people from a whole galaxy away, there are some items which are best delivered by mail. Hazardous materials, so on. He delivered them using a hoverskimmer and a smile, and I even got to ride along with him one day. Life was pretty good, but it had its ups and downs."

Pausing to work on the second dragon, Alejandra continued.

"New Star City was a comparatively temperate climate, mostly due to terraforming. MacIntyre City is home to one of the busiest spaceports in the Republic and if you'll believe the local politicians, one of the oldest in the Republic. Lots of people like me--cat ears, tail, brown complexion humans--mostly because we were encouraged by a variety of factors in the early years of the MacIntyre era to go to space. So, many of us settled in space, including a branch of the Garza family which came to MacIntyre City from a place on Earth years ago. That was generations go though, although my name is technically Alejandra Hermanita-chibi Suarez y Garza. Now, you have some cities, but you also had rural regions as well outside of them with plenty of farms and plenty of hunting."

Pausing, Alejandra reminisced.

"Now, mom used to love to hunt. She'd take me and some of her friends hunting on the weekends to help Old Man Momsen's Ranch deal with all sorts of creatures which were targeting his livestock. They had a deal--you hunt these pests, you can keep and eat 'em. We hunted a variety of things. Local creature called Living Bramblebush or Jameson's Bramblebush. Looks like a bush, but it's really a tangly creature with prickly bits on its arms. Kinda like a terrestrial starfish, but meaner. You couldn't eat them, but they made for good sport because they tended to reproduce rather rapidly and harass travelers. Also, we hunted Jacobson's rabbit. Basically, someone brought some rabbits, and the little bastards got mean. So, you hunted those too and ate them. It was all good fun. "

Pausing to help work on the second dragon, Alejandra then said, "Now, besides that, I also had to read a lot in school, and got fascinated with legends and storytelling. My mother and the Garza side of the family comes from a great lineage of people known as SIlverados. Basically, descendants of an elite corps of shocktroopers fielded during the Post-Apocalypse by Jacinta La Valienta and Elizabeta the Fair--two of gatakind's most legendary heroines. They conquered much of the Western Hemisphere of Earth, and only stopped when a group of enemies felled them both in the year 2100. The Silverados were called that because they used a kind of pickup truck known as a Silverado a lot. Used it to mount machineguns and act as light cavalry. Then, when they got into the mountains and jungles and beaches, they became mounted infantry. Less technicals, more battle taxi. Anyway, the Silverados became known for their discipline, bravery, and stubborn resistance. The ranks expanded to include humans as well as gatas, but for the most part many of them were gatas." Lifting up her sleeve, Agnar could see a silver symbol which looked like a silver bow tie, as Alejandra added, "The Silver Mark--old symbol of the SIlverados, along with the AR-10 Rifle."

Rolling her sleeve back up Alejandra continued.

"Anyway, all these warriors' tales made me fascinated with legends and combat. I also discovered I had a knack for writing and storytelling. So, before long, I thought I'd be a journalist. Wrote for school newspapers. Then, I discovered I liked writing about my hunts. Before long, I also discovered I liked reading up on old Earth legends, like the 800 Chinese at the Sihang Warehouse and so on. And then, after I got my journalism degree from the University of New Hokkaido--where I met Connie--I floated about until I got a job writing about hunting. And that's how I ended up here."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:42 am

"Hmm. Sounds similar to mine, or at least the Kadrian equivalent." Agnar laughed.

"I was born here on Keldavidr, back when the Imperium was the Kadrian Empire, or simply Kadria. My hometown was the city of Ebonheart, just across the Blasted Fells from here. They say Ebonheart was named after the banner of the Kadrian Clan who lead the city in the First Age of Ebonheart."

Agnar paused for a second, cutting through the meat that remained on the rib of the second dragon.

"As I was saying, I was born in Ebonheart, into the Clan Lightningfoot. While you have families, we have clans, who often play a huge part in metropolitan politics. Each clan has a hall in the city they have the most influence in, and often has a spot on the Jarl's council. Ebonheart happened to be where Clan Lightningfoot had its hall: The head of Clan Lightningfoot and the Jarl Vidar Shadowslayer were blood-brothers - they had sworn to treat each other like brothers. My mother, Ellegaard Lightningfoot, was the daughter of the head of the Clan, while my father was one of the Shadowslayers."

A crack sounded as Agnar finally managed to break a tendon connecting a hunk of meat to the Dragon's rib.

"I was raised by both Clans, seeing as my mother married another of the Shadowslayers shortly after I was born. Now, this was during the Unification Wars, when Arngrim Silveraxe III was uniting the Nebula under his banner. In fact, Rowan Silvershield was moving to relieve the Imperial Fleets who were bogged down around Tyran when I was born. Anyway, I was raised to learn everything I could, and to act quickly with that information: Clan Lightningfoot was known for its quick thinking, and quicker feet. I would spend days in the Ebonheart Library, learning about the old city-states, before the Empire."

Agnar paused to work on the dragon, thinking back to those days. "My mother often found me asleep in my favorite chair in the library, asleep halfway through a book on some ancient Kadrian hero, or a book on Jotun culture, which was more common when the Unification Wars ended. But my favorite book was Veidimadr, the Huntsman. It was about the Bronzehelm hunter who slayed the very first Dragon. Now, it was a little exaggerated: there's a part where the hunter wrestles the Dragon to the ground, but it was still a good read."

"While my mother loved that I did this, my aunt never forgave me for the multitude of times I blew off a political dinner for my library time. If there's one thing the Lightningfoot Clan loves more than knowledge, it's probably politics." Agnar laughed.

"The other thing I loved to do was head out into the wilderness, and explore. When I could, I roamed the Blasted Fells, and the forest surrounding Ebonheart. Sometimes, I pictured finding an old stronghold, and discovering the stories that lived within. The history of places has always fascinated me: the stories that get told in the books, and the few that are hidden by time and dust."

Agnar pulled off another hunk of meat. "I kept reading and I kept exploring until the Terminus Rebellions. I worked as a scout on the front lines, telling the Army and Navy where to hit the rebels. I still have a Silver Aegis for saving a squad on Erisdar from an ambush. Of course, you already know about Ilos."

Agnar sighed, as he began work on the wing of the dragon. "After the Rebellions, and after Grimnir got me started dragon-hunting, I moved to Stengarde for the university, to use your term, and got a degree in history. I also, for some reason, got degrees in literature and writing. Don't ask me why." Agnar laughed.

"After that, I moved to Bronzehelm, Grimnir found you guys and directed you to me, and the rest is history."

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 pm

"Degrees in literature and writing, eh?"

Alejandra looked approvingly at her new colleague as she continued to proceed along, dismantling the dragon bits as she nodded. Alejandra then said simply, "A scholar and a gentleman warrior. Now I know I picked a good writing partner for this venture."

She then paused, cleaning off her knife and working it on a whetstone to keep it sharp. Alejandra did so with a fair bit of annoyance on her face, as she mused out loud, "I really should have bought the synthril blade." Connie nodded, with a look that said, "Told you so."

Shrugging, Alejandra then continued and mused out loud as she cleaned off the blade and continued working, "So anyway. I never was one for politicking myself. Used to quietly keep my head down whenever the aunties would begin talking shit to each other during the Explosion Day barbecues over what issue of the day was what. You'd be surprised how much ad hominem insults can fly over a hamburger when people talk about politics." Pausing, she then added, a bit too nonchalantly, "Especially during that one time he got into a full on brawl with Aunt Jolene over whether Governor O'Reilly won the New Star City election fair and square or if he cheated. That was a few years ago on Explosion Day. It got weird and tequila was banned from future family gatherings."

Ivana raised an eyebrow and said, "Do I want to know what happened?"

"Not sure if I'm really allowed to say. Except I will say this much--I will never look at a trifle the same way again." Alejandra seemed to blush at the last part.

"Trifle?" Ivana asked.

Alejandra said, staring into the distance a bit, "Trifle's a dessert, using fruit, cream and a bit of cake. Again, you'd be surprised what it could be used for." She then hastened to add, "Thankfully, nothing really bad happened. Although people kept bringing it up when my cousin tried to run for Mayor of MacIntyre City."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Here, try this." Agnar handed her a knife. "It's made of Akradian-Titanium alloy. Should work much better than that knife. And you can keep it: it's my backup knife, and I can get another one."

"On politics, while it can get nasty at the dinner table, we're usually of the same mind. Mostly because the Clan is both party and family." He laughed.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Alejandra looked surprised at the sudden generosity of her companion, and studied the blade. Moving it about, she began to use the blade to tear up the parts of the dragon which were somehow still standing. Indeed, it was quite good--comparable to the synthril blades she had seen advertised at places like Lemongrass Shooter's Supply and other stores of the sort. With a smile, she said simply, "Thanks" before resuming work on the Dragon's carcass.

"So the clan is both party and family, eh? I wonder how that works. Probably few if any dissenting voices within the ranks--hard to go against kin after all."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 am

"No problem." Agnar smiled, that glimmer back in his eyes.

"Rule of thumb when it comes to the Clans: people in the clan can agree on what to do, but not how to do it. We've had more fights break out over how to acquire resources than if we have enough resources. But when we decide on how to do it, we do it well. Clans can create alliances, but they typically don't: that always seems to require a marriage of some kind, and the women don't typically like that." Agnar laughed, taking his knife to the dragon's head, the last large piece of meat remaining.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"No problem." Agnar smiled, that glimmer back in his eyes.

"Rule of thumb when it comes to the Clans: people in the clan can agree on what to do, but not how to do it. We've had more fights break out over how to acquire resources than if we have enough resources. But when we decide on how to do it, we do it well. Clans can create alliances, but they typically don't: that always seems to require a marriage of some kind, and the women don't typically like that." Agnar laughed, taking his knife to the dragon's head, the last large piece of meat remaining.

"Sounds like some of the meetings I've had at the office," Alejandra noted with a laugh. "Typical. There's an old Earth phrase. 'Everybody wants to be gangster, until it's time to do gangster shit.' Basically, everyone talks a strong game, but well, when it comes time to focus on the details and when its go time...." Alejandra's voice trailed off with a laugh and a simple, "You can see where this is going."

Alejandra then added, as she brought her knife to bear to help disassemble the head, "Also, I'm fairly certain that last part is true for Dornalian women too. Well, not the alliances part, but the whole political marriage part." She then added, laughing, "We like our alliances well enough, though. Our requirements tend to be simpler. Handshake deals, lots of booze and food and maybe company, mutual interest and maybe something to get the whole deal in writing. Either way."

She then asked, "Now, is there anything we do with the scales and such once this is all processed? I know the meat we can eat, the stomach juices we be careful not to mix with water, but what of the scales? Could you make armor with them?"
Last edited by New Dornalia on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 pm

The scales? We make bulletproof vests out of em!" Agnar laughed.

"But we usually back it with very tough fabric. But a layer of dragonwing can do the same thing. And if you want, I can cook up some dragon meat right now. I promise you, it's the best thing you'll ever taste in the Imperium!"

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:13 pm

WIthout much ado, the Dornalians looked at one another, and Alejandra said with a simple nod, "Sure. We're game for it."

As that occurred, the others nodded. The use of dragonskin to make bulletproof vests was a good idea, and one which was just simply right and proper to do. After all, the dragon itself had hardened scales and so on. All they needed to do was to plug the scales onto a tactical vest and a soft silksteel liner, and it'd be good.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm

As the Dornies harvested the scales, Agnar cut up enough meat for their party.

Agnar produced a metal grid, which the Kadrian placed the meat on, and placed the grid near the fire he had made. The Kadrian flipped the meat rather quickly: it appeared that the meat cooked fast. Interestingly enough, Agnar took his meat off the grill when it was still red. Then he took the Dornies' meat off when it was reasonably cooked.

He then let them cool, as their juices sizzled. At the same time, Agnar got out a large steel flask and a set of tankards, filling the tankards with the famous Green-Sap Ale. The Kadrian poured a little Ale over his meat, and put the cap back on the flask.

"As they say in Ebonheart: matask! Dinner is ready!"

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:01 pm

The Dornalians eagerly went around the fire. The hard work had caused the Dornalians to work up much of an appetite. In turn, the smell of the cooking dragon meat produced a lovely smell--a bit like a cross between the smell of beef and the smell of venison. The meat was cooked to medium doneness, and the Dornalians pulled out their mess kits--simple plates and tins and knives and forks made of lightweight composites--and began to tuck in.

Connie was the first to speak.

"Tastes pretty good."

The others nodded, with Ivana adding, "It has the taste....it's like a cross between venison and beef. Juicy."

Milena for her part mused, "A bit tougher than the usual beef steak, but still pretty tender."

Alejandra in turn nodded and said, "Either way, it's pretty damn good." Pulling out her tankard, she raised it and declared, "To a successful hunt, and a courageous quarry."

The others nodded, and clinked the tankards before taking long drags from the ale. The ale hit the Dornalians with nothing less than a kaleidoscope of flavors--a kaleidoscope which would form into a fist that punched its consumer in the face. It tasted like a good, strong ale (although most beer snobs would be hesitant to call it an ale, given what Agnar had said about its manufacture), with an emphasis on the strong with a bit of an anise/licorice flavor and a greenish color. Definitely an acquired taste, but the Dornalians acquired the taste quite quickly, it seemed.

Alejandra for her part pronounced the ale, "Good stuff." She then asked, curious as to the meaning of what Agnar had said earlier, "Matask?"
Last edited by New Dornalia on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:29 pm

"matask? it literally means 'eat a meal'. But it's said that the first dragon hunters shouted that when the dragon fell."

Agnar bit into his rare meat with vigor, tearing through it. He then washed it down with the Ale.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:31 pm

The Eridani Imperium wrote:"matask? it literally means 'eat a meal'. But it's said that the first dragon hunters shouted that when the dragon fell."

Agnar bit into his rare meat with vigor, tearing through it. He then washed it down with the Ale.

The others nodded at the short but informative tale of how a simple call to the dinner table turned into a hunting cry.

Alejandra, as she was wont to do, took the lead in replying to Agnar. She then declared, "A battle cry of sorts, then? Reminds me of some Earth customs also." Gesticulating wildly as she shouted out the various cries, Alejandra continued and hammed it up a bit as she did so.

" Some shout Tally-Ho!, some shout HORRIDO! and some just let out a sort of whooping, feral yelp like a bird call mixed with a feral scream." Letting out a feral, birdlike whooping, Alejandra coughed and downed more ale, going, "Kinda like that. We think. Even Pre-Apocalypse historians had a helluva time figuring out what it really sounded like."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm

"Heh, you want to hear a real battle cry?"

Agnar stood up, clearing his throat.

"TIL KADRIA! TIL SKÓGHAL!"

The cry echoed off the Blasted Fells, giving the alien cry an otherworldly quality.

"That was our battle cry during the Terminus Rebellions. The Alvaldri and Jotun had their own, but if you were a Kadrian, that was your favorite sound."

Agnar smiled. "However, our rebels yelled something like this: TYRRRRRRR!"

The R transformed into a roar, worthy of the ancient Vikings, before Agnar cut himself off, with a cough.

"Ah, been a long time since I've done that."

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm

The Dornalians were clearly impressed with the spectacle. Whether it was the pheromones or not, the Kadrian's war cry was compelling, and quite effective. Alejandra felt like leaping up and moshing all of a sudden, but that was maybe a bit silly--well, not anymore silly than seeing her cat tail and cat ears twitch in reaction to the cry. The others said nothing for a few minutes, and then, they clapped in appreciation.

For her part, Alejandra wrote a few notes. After all that, Alejandra looked impressed and declared, "I can see how that'd be murder on one's throat. Very impressive though."

The Eridani Imperium
Envoy

Postby The Eridani Imperium » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

"Oh, yes, it is murder on the throat, as you phrase it, but it was pretty terrifying back then. Imagine a wall of berserkers charging at you with that cry on their lips. that is what started the Terminus Rebellions."

Agnar smiled. "But enough of that. Let's enjoy our dead dragon!" He laughed.

New Dornalia
Ambassador

Postby New Dornalia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:01 pm

The Dornalians seemed to agree, and went back to eating their dead dragon, sure enough. The little discussion about battle cries had been a non sequitur, and a fun one at that. But the team figured it was time to focus on the food and the Green Sap Ale. The steaks were tasty, for certain. The Dornalians weren't Michelin Star chefs, but like many Dornalians they enjoyed a fine steak and a fine meal. And so far this was quite a fine steak and a fine meal. Who knew such a fearsome creature could be so tasty?

As for the Green Sap? Well, like most types of strong alcohol it began to loosen the tongues of the Dornalians. To a woman, they seemed a lot more chatty, and they seemed to be doing the usual things which came along with festive food. Swapping stories, swapping songs, and even swaying a bit.

One of them, Ivana, even began to tell a story about her power armor.

"This here T-51 or T-whateverthefuck armor...is some good shit. I picked it up at a garage sale near my house. Some guy was literally just selling it for a song and $100.00." The others snickered, and said, "No really. He wanted a song and a hundred bucks. Said he didn't want it anymore, got a shiny new model in the garage. So I'm like, 'sure, man. I'll pay for it.' He then is like, 'Well, sing!' And i'm like, 'u wot m8' and he's like 'Yeah, I wat m8, now sing the damn song. And do it well.'" She then paused and added, "The guy was a chorus teacher at the local high school. Anyway. I paid the man a hundred bucks, and then began to sing the first thing that came to mind."

Alejandra asked, "Which was?"

Ivana then blushed and said, with a sigh, "It was...."

"Well?" Connie said, eagerly awaiting the song that Ivana seemed a bit gunshy about singing. Ivana then threw her head back and said, standing up, warbling an old song in Serbian. it seemed strangely melancholy, and despite her intoxication, she sang with surprisingly operatic fury as she gesticulated wildly to the sky and even tried to half-ass a little bit of a dance of some sort. The performance would last for a few moments, before she stood there and bowed, ending the song. She then said simply, "And that song got me this power armor. Turns out it wasn't even a bad suit of armor, he was just a kook."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates