NATION

PASSWORD

Anagonian Troubleshooting (CLOSED)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Anagonia
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2003
New York Times Democracy

Anagonian Troubleshooting (CLOSED)

Postby Anagonia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Anagonian Continuity Maintenance Thread
A thread to fix and troubleshoot Anagonian continuity

Purpose and Explanation

The following posts will be posted as in-character one-shots, series, et cetera, in an attempt to gather together the known continuity of Anagonia and collaborate events into a cohesive whole. Due to the erratic nature of the player behind the nation, absences have caused major loopholes in the continuity to develop that need addressing. Prior attempts at fixing this issue have all failed, in one form or another due to unfortunate events.

This thread is the result of one solution presented by this players peers, and this player wishes to thank those involved in this solution. Please note that posts will not be put up in any chronological order. Instead, order will be established in the table of contents which will follow this preface.

Be advised
This thread shall also be used for properly organizing story plan efforts that fall in line with the continuity fix.

All inquiries should be directed via TELEGRAM to ANAGONIA, including permissions to post chronological events related to Anagonia and past events, corrections on posted events, and any other matter not suitable for an in-character thread.

Table of Contents: Continuity Rising
--The Years of Tiberius Samsus
Part One
Part Two
-Sins of our Forefathers
Chapter One
Chapter 1, Part 1
Chapter 1, Part 2
Chapter 1, Part 3
Chapter 1, Part 4

Table of Contents: Dual Fates
--The formation of the CSDF
Part One

Table of Contents: Destiny
--The Past Reawakens
A Date with Destiny

Table of Contents: Story Planning Area
-Posts pertaining to story planning are to be linked here
-Sins of our Forefathers Story Planning

Presently working on:
1. [>Continuity Fix; "Continuity Rising: The Years of Tiberius Samsus"]
- In Progress - ESTIMATED 20% COMPLETED (subject to change)
2. [>Continuity Fix; "Continuity Rising: Sins of our Forefathers"]
-Planning -CURRENTLY BEING WRITTEN, (no time estimated to completion)

EDIT LOG
Last edited on 11/03/2018 @ 0839 US EST
-11/03/2018-
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" Part 4
-11/02/2018-
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" Part 3
-10/29/2018-
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" Part 2
-10/28/2018
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" Part 1
-10/24/2018-
Removed "The Meeting with UWO; Victors Meet" and "The Balkin Meeting" due to inactivity
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" to planning
Added story planning area for ease of reference
Added "Sins of our Forefathers" story planning page

WARNING:

This first post shall not include in-character content. Any post following shall include such content. The content displayed in this thread may not be suitable for all readers. Every attempt to make it suitable will be made. Due to the nature of the nation in question, it is possible readers will find offensive material. Please remember such material in no way is intended or should be stated as representing anything but in-character role play. This thread is strictly to repair continuity for the nation of Anagonia. Content shall arrive as the player sees fit.
Last edited by Anagonia on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 am, edited 29 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

The Years of Tiberius Samsus; Part One

Postby Anagonia » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Tiberius Samsus was tired. A form of tiredness derived from years of public service, wherein all aspects of oneself had been devoted to the people and the preservation of their country. After nearly five decades, Tiberius Samsus, the 1st President of the Confederate States of Anagonia, was stepping down from his office. It had not been an easy decision, nor had it been a quick one to make. The people loved him, the military adored him, and Anagonia's neighbors enjoyed his steady hand of leadership. But he was so tired.

He had been elected President when he was only 22 years old. A Senator fresh from the Great War, having retired only a few months prior to his election as a Master Sergeant in the defacto Union turned Confederate Army, he was a favorite and well-liked canidate whose popularity gained quick momentum. His opponent then had been one of the nations most controversal canidates, the prior Union President, otherwise known as Dunan Ruu. President Ruu had also been a populalist, though unlike Tiberius it was entirely intentional on Mr. Ruu's part. It was through President Ruu's Great War and subsequent aftermath that Tiberius came to power.

One of his campaign promises had been never to drag the Confederacy in a war which it was forced to surrender from. That had happened during the years of the Great War, and was probably one of the stains on an otherwise clear record for President Ruu during his time in office as the last president of the United Republic. Admittedly, had the war never taken place, Mr. Ruu would have probably stayed in office for a very long time, and the Union would have probably survived.

"Fifty years," Tiberius mused aloud. His hands gripped firmly on the railing he leaned on. He was on board the CSS Enterpise, a battleship carrier, and one of the products of his successes. He rubbed the railing fondly. A splash of ocean mist turned his attention towards the bow of the ship.

The commanders in the military had insisted on a "farewell" tour for their first Commander-in-Chief. Having served dutifully for so many years, it was only right that President Samsus should end his time in office on the note it began with; the military. More specifically - despite not having served in the branch itself - the Confederate Navy. The Enterprise was the lead ship in a small force of ships now sailing to the allied ports, allowing their Commander-in-Chief brief stays on shore to conclude affairs of state, personal affairs, or permit affairs to pass onto the next President by arrangements.

The tour had just departed the port of one of Anagonia's northern allied nations. Now it was heading southward, just outside Anagonian territorial waters, and to prominent southern ally where Tiberius would stay for a week to attend a conference. It was a pleasant, mundane experience so far. Just like his years in office. After President Ruu gracefully stepped down to end the government of the Union, Anagonia had been through a period of quiet change. Tiberius had not been folly to take advantage of the quiet, using it to keep the nation at maximum readiness, and especially taking advantage of the time to arrange internal affairs appropriately as he helped craft the new constitution.

"Mr. President," a voice hailed Tiberius from behind.

Turning, the President noted it was the ships Captain. He returned the respectful salute provided, "Yes, Mr. Longfellow?" he inquired. He had come to know and respect the man standing before him, and instead of addressing the Captain by rank, Tiberius chose instead to use his priviliage as Commander-in-Chief to be a little more formal. A slight smile, visible for but a second, was the continued acceptance of the friendly formality by Captain Longfellow.

"We're about four days from our next stop," the Captain stated. "President Timoy of the Southern Republic sent word to inform us all preperations are completed for the conference and for this fleet, should I choose to dock at port. Along with telling you of the message, I wanted to also inform you I decided to reject President Timoy's offer and instead have the fleet wait in international waters. Is that acceptable, sir?"

Tiberius smirked. "Mr. Longfellow, I make no practice of interfering with my commanders practices, regardless of whatever branch I happen to be within at the moment. If you feel the fleet should be in international waters, then by all means. I trust your judgement."

"Thank you, sir," the Captain replied. He then smiled. "A few of my officers and myself were also about to have some coffee. Would you care to join us, sir?"

"I'd be delighted," Tiberius returned the smile.

Walking with the Captain, they entered a bulkhead door to the interior. They left the deck in the midst of discussing conversational topics of the day.

Last edited by Anagonia on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

The Years of Tiberius Samsus; Part Two

Postby Anagonia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:17 am

The fifty years under President Samsus had done well for the Confederacy. While he’d never openly admit it, Tiberius was responsible for many of the ethical and moral changes that had changed the Confederacy since its inception. One of the most prominent of these was war-lust. Before he had taken office, the Confederate States was known as the United Republic. This prior government had often interfered and, more specifically, forced changes on foreign governments through military force. It had been a commonly acceptable thing to the populace for their government to exercise its might abroad, and the traditional excuse was, “it was for our benefit and protection”. This mentality had led to the events of what Anagonia considered its “Great War”.

The Great War started like any other international incident common with Anagonia at the time; interference in foreign affairs. Normally that was all it took to change whatever issue the Union government saw needed changing, but this time, the victim nation had friends. More specifically, an entire alliance of allies. This botched oversight from the intelligence community was seen by some after the events as a blessing, due to it causing the fall of the government that was so aggressive abroad. To others, to many, and to those at that time, it was seen as one of the greatest mistakes in Anagonian history. The Republican hand already forced, a massive fleet of foreign aggressors – or liberators, depending on ones view – began the invasion of the Anagonian mainland that forced the Union governments surrender from the war - and eventual collapse.

Never before in modern history had the mainland of Anagonia been so easily invaded by foreign powers. The Union Navy had a proud tradition of keeping watch over her charge – the people and homeland of Anagonia. At the time of the invasion, the Navy had well over seven full battle fleets in operation; five battle fleets abroad to fight the war, two stationed at home. The enemy fleets had the strength of well over twelve fleets, combined. It was too much for the two defensive fleets around the mainland, they sustaining heavy losses as the enemy began their land assault. It had ended just as quickly when the Republican government issued surrender.

It had been the objective of the enemy all the while. Stated after the war, the fleets had been sent to force the United Republic to withdrawal from all sectors of the Great War and, if they didn’t, to force a withdrawal. No one on their side had anticipated a conflict, let alone a land invasion, but their orders had been clear in what to do with noncompliance. Once compliance had been met, they left as quickly as they departed, but not before giving the country a scare over the concepts of occupation. There were repercussions, of course. All political and economical, which the Union paid due, with harsh prices. In the end, as all the fleets of the Union Navy came home to port, as all the military was withdrawn from over seas, they would come home to a very humbled, if defeated, nation.

From the ashes of the old government, Tiberius Samsus rose to power.

His family lineage traced him back to the founding father of the United Republic with his same name, otherwise known to historians as Tiberius Samsus, Senior. There had been many sons in the Samsus line named so after, and Tiberius Samsus the Eighth, as was his given number in lineage to his ancestor, was intended to live a honorable life just as his forefather had. So he had joined the Union Army at a young age, around fourteen or so, and after two years of preliminary training (for real training couldn’t begin until the age of sixteen), he was well prepared for his role as he was pushed through the Officer Corps. When he was first pushed out of the Corps, he had the rank of Sergeant. By the end of the Great War, he retired the Military with the rank of Master Sergeant.

Tiberius was assigned to the 11th Ground Division of the Union Army. He had a led a squad of ten men and women to occupy a foreign town along the coast of the preliminary invasion point set up by the Union Navy. The fighting was fierce, as it always had been with these sorts of affairs. His unit had not been alone in the assigned occupation, however, and he was anticipating reinforcements at any moment. The only issue had been that reinforcements couldn’t get through. The enemy had blocked the town off with mechanized, air, and ground assets. Tiberius’ unit was surrounded and probably doomed.

Being forced into a single three story apartment building while being assaulted on all sides by gunfire from various caliber sources was not the ideal tactical position, and Tiberius knew it. Somehow, he still had the living souls of all his squad-mates, despite the insane odds against them. Somehow they were still alive and still capable of fighting back. The radioman of the group was in constant contact with the Navy units just to the south, and after a lengthy debate, it had finally been decided that the only way to move forward was by battleship bombardment. It wasn’t odd to request such assistance, since Anagonia seemed to have a strong fetish for such ships and used them quite well to their task. What made it odd was the allied units so close to the bombardment vicinity, which typically Battleship Captains refused to engage under such conditions.

This time, after screaming for Melkos knew how long into the receiver, Tiberius had won them over. Gathering his squad in close vicinity, they had fought to the highest, safest point in the building for best possible survival outcome. If the building collapsed, there’d be less rubble on top of any single one of them. If the worst happened and a shell directly hit their position, well, there wasn’t any need to worry about survival at that point anyway. Thus, they had waited, for about five extra minutes until the screams of shells signaled the arrival of the battleship bombardment.

The resulting panic from the enemy forces, mixed with the constant earthquake-scale impacts around them, caused the squad of trapped soldiers to either pray for their lives, or make peace and prepare for the end. When the bombardment subsided, not a single friendly shell had hit their position, and the enemy had, as expected, retreated from its offensive. Taking the initiative Tiberius had led his squad from the hot zone, through small patches of enemy resistance – with thankfully none mechanized – and back to friendly hands. It was through this singular act of gallantry, and probable stupidity, that he had become famously recognized in the war.

Sipping his glass of sweetened tea, Tiberius admired the setting sun. They had just departed the conference not a day past. Events had played out as expected; parting gifts were shared, diplomacy was conducted, farewells were concluded, and surprisingly not a single bit of business to be leftover for the next President. Captain Longfellow had been kind enough to set him up a folding chair on the extension beside the bridge. From here, not only could Tiberius gaze down at the two massive fore turrets of the Battlecarrier, but he could also get an admirable view of the sea and sunset beyond.

Someone had been kind enough to set up a makeshift drink-stand for him as well using an ammo box, which he used now with great satisfaction. Setting the glass down, he sighed contently. “I’m going to miss this,” he uttered, though to no one in particular as he thought himself alone.

“As am I,” the voice of Longfellow spoke beside him. With a questioning gaze from his President, Longfellow continued. “It’s a new age. With you stepping down, I mean, Mister President. It’s quite funny that with the passing of this age, I find you on my ship.”

“Oh?” inquired Tiberius, raising an eyebrow now.

Seeing that Tiberius was straining to look at him from this angle, Longfellow moved forward and leaned against the railing. They now sat and stood side by side.

“I remember,” Longfellow said, “about four decades and a few years ago that some punk soldier boy cussed me out.”

Tiberius, whom had previously turned away back to the sunset, slowly looked back up to Longfellow. Noticing this from the corner of his eye, Longfellow continued, hiding a smirk.

“This punk boy thought I’d be crazy enough to kill our own brothers and sisters, to have that shame on my ship. I argued and argued with that son of a gun, but somehow he out-cussed a sailor, and I guess I caved in. Did you know that it was because of that punk boy that I got this ship, the Enterprise?”

As if continuing the charade of nonchalant banter, Longfellow looked down to Tiberius. The President was wide-eyed, an expression of wonder, probably mixed with shock. The two had never met in person before, not even after all this time. Standing, Tiberius faced his savior, Tiberius extended his hand for a shake. Longfellow took it, and the shake turned into a bear hug as Tiberius expressed his gratitude for the one man who had control of his fate that day. Concluding their interaction, Tiberius stood back, wiping a tear from one eye.

“I never could find you,” Tiberius said, “to thank you, I mean. Not even after I became President. How’d you stay hidden for so long?”

Longfellow chuckled, “We sailor boys have our ways, Mr. Samsus. I can call you that, right?”

“Hell,” Tiberius started with a laugh, “You can call me pinhead for all I care! Tiberius is fine, though, or whatever you prefer.”

A smirk from Longfellow, “Alright punk boy-“ a chuckled shared between the two “-to answer your question, I had help from a few friends. Only after you became President and I realized who you were, that is. I didn’t want anything to do with you, you know. Always thought you hated my guts and facing you be the ruin of my career. So I pulled a few favors.”

Tiberius had taken a sip from his tea, which he had grabbed moments before and now held idle in one hand close to his body. A motion from that hand caused the ice-chunks to jingle the glass, his eyes darting from the deck, back to Longfellow questioningly. “What made you want to be here, then?” Tiberius inquired.

“Your memoir,” Longfellow said. “I picked it up a week after it came out. Finally got he nerve. I read over the bombardment bit, and your high praise there. I realized then I had been mistaken. I didn’t have any more favors to pull, so I thought I’d let past dogs lay dead. Guess someone had a plan to see us here today.”

“So none of your higher ups had you positioned here?” Tiberius asked, pointing down at the deck and emphasizing the whole ship.

Longfellow shook his head, “No sir, not a single one. This, right here-“ Longfellow made the same gesture as Tiberius had “-was all divine chance. I assure you. I just happened to be given command of the Enterprise when she was commissioned. No one knew, or could have known, you’d want her for your run.”

A solemn nod of reverence from Tiberius as he sipped the tea, looking at the sun in the distance. Avoiding directly looking at it, he turned his gaze to the horizon. Melkos did work in mysterious ways. The silence lingered between the two, until Longfellow positioned a cigarette in Tiberius field of view. He motioned it, a questioning look on his face. Tiberius accepted, and after putting down his glass of tea, the two lit up their cigarettes, inhaling deeply.

“So what’s your first name?” inquired Tiberius, still gazing out at the horizon.

Realizing he had never introduced it before, Longfellow flushed a bit. “Timothy,” Longfellow replied. “Timothy Longfellow. Sorry about that. Guess I wasn’t thinking.”

A slight chuckle from Tiberius. “No need to be sorry, Timothy, if you don’t mind me saying. We all have our secrets. Some forget to say them, some keep them forever.”

Longfellow nodded, “Don’t mind at all, Tiberius. Sir. No secret on my part, just typical ignorance.”

The two continued their discussion in private. After they had finished their cigarettes, the Captain would return to his post, leaving Tiberius to his thoughts. A renewed thankfulness to his god in mind.

Last edited by Anagonia on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

The formation of the CSDF; Part One

Postby Anagonia » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:32 pm

The meeting had been planned later in the evening to allow the planned participants the time necessary to arrive on schedule. Bob Jefferson, Chief General of the Confederate Armed Forces and head of the Department of Defense, sat at the fore of the meeting table as he quietly sipped his coffee and smoked his cigeratte. His only attachement to the meeting was that he had approved it, otherwise the participants and himself would not have planned to gather today to discuss the topic at hand. An older gentleman, he had served his tenure in the Armed Forces of the United Republic, subsequently rising to his new position under Tiberius Samsus within the Confederate Armed Forces, and he typically was extremely conservative when approving measures within his military branches. This time, however, the proposal had piqued his interest.

Puffing and exhaling as he set the cigeratte down, Bob brought the mug to his lips to finish off his coffee. There was a staff secretary just outside the room - it was a three walled room with the main wall made of glass capable of being made opaque by the touch of a button - who would no doubt notice and bring him another cup, as he had yet to set the room to private. It was a prime example of how efficent, how calculated, how well disciplined his military was. Professional was perhaps a better word. Regardless, the proposal to be discussed very soon would forever change the balance of that professionalism, insofar as to the shift in force strength the proposal would suggest.

The door to the meeting room opened, the Military Policeman on watch using one hand to keep the glass door open as he held his back to the door. He nodded to the Chief General, quickly uttering the name of the person to be let in, and held it open as the Staff Secretary came in with two mugs of coffee. After she politely set the two mugs in their respective positions, she would quickly take the drained mug from the Chief General, twirling to avoid the new arrival, then departing as the MP closed the door. All this happened within the span of a few seconds.

"Mr. Rolly!" Bob greeted Daniel Rolly with much enthusiasm. He stood, shaking hands with the Chief Administrator of the Confederate Aeronautics and Space Administration, and the chief proposer of this meeting. The handshake, as always, was firm and the two shared a polite exchange of glances before parting. "Very happy to see you," Bob continued after Daniel and himself sat in their respective chairs, "also very happy to note you're still on board with this proposal."

Daniel was a youngish man, well within the prime of his life. He had a somewhat professionally geeky appearence about him, and even boasted a traditionally nerdish set of glasses to his appearence. He took out a pack of cigerattes from his shirt pocket, lighting himself up as the Chief General took another puff of his own cigeratte. The two silently enjoyed their cigerattes, before each practically drank their mugs of coffee at the same time. Following an exhale, Daniel responded as Bob shifted the ashtray towards him for use.

"Wouldn't want to be anywhere else," Daniel replied happily as he flicked his ashes into the tray, looking up to the Chief General. "I think that if we can get Chief Senator Burke on board with this new plan of mine, that design you want built will only be a few months away."

Bob chuckled. "I seriously only just drew a Gato-class into the picture. I never intended to have it become some style of space ship."

"Our techs took a liking to it," Daniel said with a smirk. "Seems no matter what happens, they're really set on building at least a prototype. Speaking of, construction of the orbital shipyard is going well. I made a few public remarks on it. Stopped after Colonel Rief almost died up there."

"Speaking of," Bob piped up, "How's the Colonel doing?"

Daniel was talking about how Cosmonaut Viktor Rief, one of the mission commanders on board the Space Station Viper, had almost died of vaccuum exposure from a rip in his space suit. No one at the time realized he was losing so much air, only that he was practically close to dying from some unknown illness. All efforts brought the situation to a swift closure as he was guided and helped into the airlock by ground control and the station crew.

"He should make a full recovery," Daniel replied. "We think his suit got tangled on probably some outcropping, but we're not sure. That's our best guess next to a near-miss by some orbiting small object or micro-meteorite."

The MP showed again, introducing three people this time. Chief Senator Kristen Burke was followed closely by Chief Admiral Stan Downs of the Joint Department of Progress, with Chief Secretary of Colonial Affairs Stefanie Kain taking up the rear. All three quickly found their seats as they were greeted by the Staff Secretary, and each given a mug or, in the Chief Senators case, a glass of water. Once the room was vacated, Bob pressed a button under his end of the table, turning the transparent glass wall into opaque. The meeting had begun, only officially.

After a series of pleasant exchanges, Bob gave the floor over to Daniel, whom as he talked had the undivided attention of each person in the room.

"Ladies and Gentleman," Daniel began, "it is with great pleasure that I've called this meeting today to make a critical proposal for the future of our great nation. As many of you have been made aware or, in Bob's case, were already aware-" Bob nodded at this "-the United Republic had a secret underground research base in the Southern Desert filled to the brim with advanced technology. During the fall, most information pertaining to its location was lost. Only recently did we gather enough clues to know to know where to look, and a week ago, we found it."

The Chief Administrator gauged the reactions of those present. All except Bob were quite impressed, or at least showed an expression related to something of the sort. Daniel continued.

"We've just now began to comprehend the technology we've unconvered. I can't go into full detail as it would take probably days, but the short of it is this. We hit a technological gold mine. The United Republic had been involved in creating most of the technologies we've discovered, which includes, but are not limited to, anti-gravity fields, shielding, and various other advanced techs. However we also discovered two within our preliminary investigations that did not originate from this planet."

"Not originate from this planet....how exactly?" interrupted the Chief Senator. Her aged appearence not hiding her hawkish skepticism.

"Not originated because we found the files of their origin," Daniel explained calmly. "Everythings there. Everything. It's as if nothing has aged over the past fifty years. These two technologies included a specific and well catagorized diagram of their origin and their evolution over time. The United Republic literally took the preliminary discovery from this source, from a galaxy very far away apparently, and redesigned everything from the ground up."

"And what are they, since you seem to place such importance on them?" asked the Chief Admiral. He didn't seem impressed.

"Faster-than-light technology, called Hyperdrive, and a new weapons system called a turbolaser," Daniel said, smiling at the Chief Admiral before looking around at all present. "Needless to say this has opened up several avenues for our expansion into space, but it has also presented us with a unique problem. A problem that my organization cannot handle alone, not in the long run at least. This is why I called you all here today. To establish a new branch of the military, one capable of acting independently, but governed by the same restrictions as any other branch."

"Why do we need a separate branch to...what?" asked the Chief Senator. "To what? To operate this technology? Isn't that CASA's objective? Responsibility? Shouldn't we wait on this?"

Bob spoke up then, replying to the Chief Senator. "The issue is, as Daniel and myself have discussed in earnest, that if we utilize this technology there will come a point when our forces who do utilize it may not be able to contact their command structure for clarification on the next course of action. If we were to establish a new branch, with new objectives, and entirely new adaptable policies and commands, then this wouldn't be an issue. This is, however, only one of the benefits. The second is, if we do establish this branch, we could make it a clandestine branch, one not obligated to be reported to the World Assembly or, for that matter, any of our allied nations."

As the rest thought on the Chief Generals words, Daniel quickly handed out a small packet to each. He smiled, sitting down to sip his coffee before eyeing each as they flipped through the pages.

"Take your time in looking through that," Daniel said. "It's a brief on the structure and proposal."

Taking the Chief Administrators advice, the room fell into silence as those outside the know educated themselves on the proposal at hand.

Last edited by Anagonia on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Sins of our Forefathers story planning

Postby Anagonia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 am

PLOT PRELIMINARY

Working Title:
SINS OF OUR FOREFATHERS

Plot Summary
The Confederate States of Anagonia has had a bright and encouraging history as a government whose concentration has primarily been on the improvement of national and internal affairs rather than global hegemony. This succession from tyrannical governance under the United Republic, to a tranquil coexistance, was not entirely a smooth affair. The forefathers, the founding members of the Confederate States, bore on their shoulders the sins of a past life that was hell bent on destroying their ambitions for a brighter future.

Decisions were made, plans enacted as loose ends to that past were all but tied up or cut off. The past, however, has a nasty way of rearing itself up again to take vengeance.

On the far-flung mining colony of Frontier 2, located on the surface of the Dwarf Planet Pluto, citizens arrive with ambitions and motives entirely focused on work and monetary investment for their future. They work in year-long shifts, returning to Earth on the yearly resupply missions that make it out to Pluto. A few, however, have made permanent residence on Frontier 2.

They're called permies, citizens running from either a ruined life or horrible past, but each and every one contributing to the culture of the mining colony.

When one of the permies is found dead in a ransacked quarters, the delicate balance of the colonies atmosphere is thrown into disarray. With little to work on and no clear motive, the mining colonies resident police authority calls it a suicide and tucks the case away. The reigning staff making a desparate attempt at sweeping it under the rug to return to a produtive status quo.

But one colony administrator isn't so sure about the results of the "investigation". Taking matters in their own hands, they send a message back to Earth for help.

Detective Thomas Shane, Confederate States Military Police, is summoned to investigate the case. What he finds could very well redefine the history on the founding fathers of the Confederate States, and quite possibly end up being the last case he ever investigates.

Character Summaries
Thomas Shane; Detective, Active Duty, Confederate States Military Police
Main Character
Thomas Shane
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 230 lbs
Race: Native Anagonian
Hair Color: Raven Black
Eye Color: Hazel
Body Type: Average

Confederate States Military Police, (E-5) Detective, Homicide Division

Biography; Brief
Thomas Shane is a 45 year old active duty Military Policeman serving as a Detective in Homicide Investigations. He has two parents; mother and father, 60 and 65 respectively, both living. Four siblings; two brothers 31 and 25 respectively, two sisters 22 and 30 respectively, all living. He lives in a gated mobile home community in the countryside of Anagonia. He does not fancy advanced technology, prefers older style technology and simplistic solutions. Has an adequate sense as a detective and utilizes his experiences for both local and national cases.

Timeline Summary
TIMELINE OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES
CURRENT YEAR:
190 Years After United Republic (AUR)
(Gregorian Calender Year is 2106)

0 AUR, often referenced as "Year Zero" in the history books, was labeled as the official end of the government of the United Republic of Anagonia. In the months that followed Year Zero, several officers and members of the surviving military establishment banded together to bring order from chaos. During this time, a new Constitution was crafted, designed to fix the mistakes of the past and ensure the survivability of future governments in Anagonia.

Link to Constitution:
viewtopic.php?p=31461582#p31461582

Around the same time, during Year Zero, Articles were drafted with the intent to fix the mistakes of past military tyranny.

Link to Articles:
viewtopic.php?p=31461599#p31461599

Year Zero is thought to of started around January 11th of 0 AUR. Around this time the government of the United Republic was still cohesive, but the collapse had begun and the unravling of society was unavoidable. By March of Year Zero, the government of the United Republic had dispersed, effectively placing the Anagonian nation in a state of anarchy.

Military leaders still in control of their forces gathered together to create a de facto military junta, enacting missions to restore law and order in the wake of governmental collapse. By September of Year Zero, both the Articles of the Military and the new Constitution of the Confederate States had been drafted and enacted into law. Following a few weeks of elections and referendums, by late September of Year Zero the Confederate States was effectively born.

A lot of historians who teach about the events of the Year Zero Reunification fail to emphasize just how large of a collapse the event was. The United Republic had existed for around several hundred years prior to its collapse in the year 1986, according to the widely used Gregorian Calender that was utilized by society at the time. Before the collapse, the United Republic had served as a continental unification government for three separate nations; Anagonia, Drekamythia, and Nodea Rudav. Despite widely separate cultural and national ideologies, the three nations coexisted and worked together peacefully under the firm rulership of the Anagonian government.

This rulership can be traced back centuries prior, before the United Republic, to when the nation of Anagonia had conquered and subdued its two neighboring nations and essentially annexed them into the whole. Several rebellions and fracturing events later, the ruling governments of Anagonia would eventually return most of the national sovereignty of the two then-provinces, which would then result in the formation of the United Republic sometime around 1745, a year historic because of its importance and recognition as the start of the modern era.

Despite the efforts of modernization, and despite the advancement in space-based technology and exploration, the year 1985 was an absolutely devastating year for the Anagonian Hegemony. Centuries of aggressive policies peaked when the United Republic attempted an invasion of a larger, more powerful coalition of nations in an attempt to bring a World War to a swift and dramatic close. Despite numerical advantage, the Military of the United Republic failed to defend the homeland against an overwhelming invasion which resulted in the absolute surrender and forceful withdrawal from the war. This event began the collapse, already furthered by an already irrate populace who was borderline rioting.

In the following months leading up to the elections in November of that same year, the once-strong bonds that tied the United Republic together began to shatter. The first event was the declaration of independence by the Soviet Union of Nodea Rudav, followed a month later by a same declaration from the Imperial Empire of Drekamythia. With little resolve and resources to effectively bring the two provinces back into the fold, the United Republic began to fracture as states within the borders of Anagonia began to also consider their own declarations of independence.

News articles at the time heralded the coming elections as the salvation of the nation. Chief Governor Dunan Ruu, who was in charge at the time of the defeat in the World War, was expected to lose his reelection bid with an up-and-coming canidate anticipated to take over. It is spectulated by most modern historians that had this canidate taken office, the events of the collapse very well may not have happened. Society at the time was desparate for a reason to trust the government again, desparate to reunite the continent, and desparate for a reason to trust in the resolve of the nation. Dunan Ruu went against this purpose, the very fact that he held office causing the majority of the strain on society.

When the elections came to a close and Dunan Ruu was found to be the winner, the ties that bound man to a civil society shattered. Protests erupted, states declared independence, and society fractured into anarchy.

Timeline; IMPORTANT DATES OF THE MODERN ERA
--0 AUR:
Foundation of the Confederate States, reunification of the Anagonian homeland. Tiberius Samsus is elected as the first President of the Confederate States in November of 0 AUR. Relations between Anagonia and the two independent nations of Drekamythia and Nodea Rudav are stressed but stable.
--4 AUR:
After nearly four years of hashing out disagreements, the United Continental Confederation is born. The purpose of the UCC is to keep the borders open between its three member nations of Anagonia, Drekamythia, and Nodea Rudav and to facilitate mutual trust and economic partnership. This decision solves the crisis over highway infrastructure responsibility left over from the collapse, placing it as a shared responsibility between all member nations
--5 AUR:
Tiberius Samsus is reelected President of the Confederate States. Following a full swing of national debate and referendums, a full congressional compliment is elected. Confidence in the survivability of the Confederate government is high. That same year, Lunar Base One and Space Station Freedom announce their intentions to surrender authority to the Confederate States Military under voluntary conditions. The Confederarte Aeronautics and Space Administration is formalized and established, utilizing resources leftover from the United Republic.
--15 AUR:
A plot to assassinate Tiberius Samsus is foiled moments before being enacted. The third term of the Samsus Presidency resumes uneventful, however the group responsible maintains constant and open threats, indentifying themselves as the Sons of the United Republic.
--18 AUR:
The Sons of the United Republic become an increasingly dangerous domestic terrorist faction, refusing all attempts at diplomatic resolutions and instead opting for all-out violence. The President orders a full military involvement in containing the threat.
--20 AUR:
The leader of the SUR is found and captured, resulting interrogations leading to the arrest and capture of 500 additional leaders and antagonists within the Sons of the United Republic and effectively obliterating all leadership within the group. Further efforts by the Confederate Military in resulting sting operations result in addition 2500 arrests. This event proves the effectiveness of the Confederate Military Police and establishes confidence in the capability of the military to secure internal affairs. At age 60, Tiberius Samsus is reelected for his 4th term in office as President of the Confederate States.
--25 AUR:
Arnold Jefferson is elected as the next President of the Confederate States, surprising everyone when he decides to invite Tiberius Samsus as his Vice-President, resulting in a surge of popularity for the Jefferson Administration after the acceptance.
--32 AUR:
Tiberius Samsus, one of the founding fathers of the Confederate States and a military leader responsibile for the unification efforts after the collapse of the United Republic, passes away peacefully in his sleep at age 72.
--33 AUR:
Oscar Vladinchi, founding father, reunification general, and friend of Tiberius Samsus passes away due to heart complications during a boat outing at age 85. This same year many of the founding fathers and mothers of the Confederate States also pass away, effectively ending an era of the living founders.
--35 AUR:
Arnold Jefferson celebrates his second term in office as President of the Confederate States. He is 42 years old. This same year, the subspace drive is discovered, opening the way for faster-than-light travel. Tests commence on the feasibility of outer-system colonies.
--43 AUR:
The first outer-system colony, Frontier 1, is established on the surface of Jupiters largest moon of Ganymede.
--75 AUR:
Frontier 2 is established on the surface of Pluto. Thomas Shane is born to Mother and Father Theresa and Richard Shane, they live in a farm in the countryside of the State of Saratoga.
--100 AUR:
Franklin Johnson is elected as the 16th President of the Confederate States. At age 25, he is the youngest President to take office.
--120 AUR:
Modern Day, 2106 Gregorian. Franklin Johnson celebrates his 4th term in office as President of the Confederate States. A notable homicide takes place on the the outer-system mining colony of Frontier 2 on the surface of Pluto. Detective Thomas Shane, Confederate States Military Police, is assigned by Lt. General David Frankfurt to investigate the potentially high-profile case.
Last edited by Anagonia on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Sins of our Forefathers #1 Chapter 1, Part 1

Postby Anagonia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Sins of Our Forefathers
Chapter 1, Part 1

In most countries in the post-modern world, detectives operated under the supervision of civilian authorities constrained by laws and layers of laws that prevented them from getting the work necessary done. They lacked the extensive legal and constitutional backing required of a proper defensive authority to not only look into matters with great effect, but also bypass necessary protocols and etiquette to get the job done. Often times, cases easily investigated were tied under endless layers of red tape that prevented the detective from moving forward in his or her case to prosecute a probable criminal element. Citizens of a higher standing in society seemed to also be granted more privileges than those in lesser standings, resulting more often than not than those higher-standing citizens getting away with crimes that a typical detective could easily prosecute. In the Confederate States of Anagonia, however, Detectives operated on an entirely separate level.

The Confederate Military had several responsibilities within the borders of Anagonia. Chief of these concerns, if any could be above another, was the defense and civil protection of the civilian populace. Military Policeman Detective Thomas Shane held those concerns sacred. Like the majority of his brethren, he was tasked with the special objective of ensuring the stability and continuity of the Anagonian nation. His rank, attained not only through his deeds in the service but expertise therein, granted him the further objectives of ensuring the fair justice of the dearly departed and severely wronged. He held that sacred, probably more than anything else. Very few were granted the responsibility that allowed them to advocate for the dead. Every ounce of understanding attained in his career was put into play during his criminal investigations to grasp a full comprehension of the crimes committed, his words essentially being trusted among all others as the responsibilities and privileges of his rank implied. Thus was being a Detective in the Confederate States a uniquely Anagonian experience, if not because of the responsibility, then because of the trust placed on the shoulders of the fine soldiers who underwent the task.

To that end, stress was a common side-effect of the job itself. Among the ranks of the Military Police, Detectives were granted the most independence to ensure that stress became less of a factor. The codes of conduct and lines of communication and discipline remained, but the sovereign decision of a detective on the hunt was not usually superseded. More often than not, Confederate detectives were granted cases that no other common Military Policeman could solve. Their expertise and keen understanding of the criminal mind justified the overall decision to entrust in them the most difficult criminal investigations that seemed to defy typical motive and cause. These high-profile cases were thankfully not too common within the borders of Anagonia, but when they were, they typically held within them secrets that went farther back in history than what was displayed at face value. It was one of these cases, originally thought to be a cut-and-dry suicide, that would eventually find itself on the desk of Detective Thomas Shane.

-----
Part 2
Last edited by Anagonia on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Sins of our Forefathers #2 Chapter 1, Part 2

Postby Anagonia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:08 am

Chapter 1; Part 2; Sins of our Forefathers

Tuesday, July 6th, 120 Years After United Republic
0800 Hours Anagonian Central Standard Time

The brisk spring morning breeze brought a sense of refreshment to Thomas Shane as he stood at the edge of a field. The sun was just cresting the mountainous horizon to his right, rays of light peaking through valleys and hills as they brought illumination to everything it touched. The unkempt tall stalks of wheat grass signaled that the property before him was either poorly maintained or intended for some other purpose, their swaying in the breeze catching only the briefest hints of his attention before his eyes moved elsewhere. There was a pick-up truck in the distance, almost hidden by the tall grass due to the way it had slid and impacted to his resting position. Trailing it was a clear indication of tire tracks, dug into the muddy terrain and reaching to the gravel road which Thomas stood upon; the muddy indentations the only retraction from a perfect country scene to his surroundings. The Detective turned his attention to the gravel road beneath his feet, kneeling as he observed a spot in the road that had originally gained the majority of his attention. Several bullet cases, barely visible save for the glints of light reflecting off their apparently shiny surface, signaled that the crash had been anything but an accident.

The atmosphere around the Detective was calm and serene. The occasional breeze wafted over the tips of the wheat grass, creating a smoothing sound that was reminiscent of being near an ocean. In the distance, the morning fauna were beginning their routines, the birds in particular dominating the soundscape with their chirps and songs. Thomas' head moved up, gazing down the road to his right in the distance. At the corner of his vision he could see his patrol car, off to the side and at an angle as it rested almost completely in the opposite field. To the front of his vision was the open road itself, both sides of it lined with similar tall stalks of wheat grass that seemed create the major scenic theme. Eyes trailing from the distance to something closer, he concentrated on the gravel road itself. He had parked far enough away that his own vehicles tire tracks would not interfere in his investigations and, indeed, it hadn't. There were two specific tracks on the road, with one in particular display erratic motions as it joined into the mud tracks to his left. The other, visible only because of a slight curve to the far side of the gravel road, seemed to continue on down past in the opposite direction.

His looked to his left, watching as that particular set of tracks continued onward, then followed them to the point where he suspected the incident began. Careful of his steps, Detective Shane made his way over to a particularly interesting point in the tracks. There appeared to be a curved line, brief but visible, signaling a possible fast stop. Coincidentally, the shell casings were not far from this point, perhaps only a few feet. Looking to the right of the road, to the tracks that he suspected were made by the pick-up truck, he noticed the distance between the unknown vehicles tracks and the trucks. If he was right in his suspicions, then he should find some sort of footprint. Again, being careful of his footfalls, he stepped closer to where he believed the hypothetical footprints should be. Kneeling, head turning as his eyes scanned the ground, he found what he was looking for. It was there, barely there, but he clearly saw the logo for Eagle Boots. Interestingly there was also two shell casing by this print, only visible now due quite possibly to his proximity.

Thomas brought out his notepad and pen, writing down his preliminary suspicions of what could have happened here, making sure to draw diagrams when necessary. When he concluded this, he put back the notepad and withdrew a digital camera from one of his vests pockets. Carefully, the Military Policeman began to take pictures of each area of interest. Everything that would corroborate to these series of unfortunate events was taken into posterity, along with everything that could challenge it. This was possibly the longest part of the process, so Thomas knew to take his time, careful to not overlook anything of value that could be used to further open up the events that took place here. When he was finished, he moved off the road and followed the muddy trail into the dense, tall grass. His BDU boots were quite familiar with the sinking feeling he felt with each step. It must of rained a few nights ago for this amount of saturation. Approaching the vehicle, one hand instinctively went to his side-arm.

The truck itself was of Anagonian make, a Liberty Countryside model, probably well over 40 years old by now and in surprisingly good condition. The tailgate of the pick-up bore the markings of the company who created it, "LIBERTY", imprinted and meshing with the red color of the trucks paintjob. Moving closer, his free hand pushing aside patches of tall grass, he noted a very clear hole that was undeniably created by a firearm. Gazing upward as he came to a stop, he noted the cabin window with slider, visibly cracked from four bullet-holes, two possibly being exit trajectory due to their size. The way the rays of sunlight now shined, he could clearly see patches of blood - a lot of it. He moved around to the drivers side, hand still on side-arm, ready to draw.

"Confederate Military Police! Anyone in this vehicle?"

Silence greeted his words. He tried again, but once again was greeted with the same level of silence. The birds resumed chirping shortly after the silence lingered, no longer disturbed by the words of a human being. Easing his grip on his side-arm, he approached closer, peering in to see a very human head resting on a steering wheel. The back of the head faced him, a large chunk of it missing, possibly the amount of junk visible on the rear cabin window. Looking to the windshield proper, he noted four bullet holes, all possibly being entry save for two that seemed quite larger. Leaning away he released a breath he hadn't realized he held. The area didn't particularly smell of death, but now that he thought about it he could smell a hint of something. Releasing the hold on his side-arm, he moved around to the front of the truck, eyeing the grill and hood for any damage. Surprisingly, there wasn't any, and he hadn't seen any on the driver side tires either. Just the tail-gate, the windshield, and the rear cabin window. A quick peek on the passenger side confirmed no damage there either.

The trucks tires were clearly buried deep in the mud, possibly due to an uncontrolled stop which resulted in its present position. Taking his notepad out, he repeated the process that was done on the gravel road, taking digital pictures afterward. Doing a final survey of the area and careful of any further contamination to the scene, Thomas made his way over to his patrol car. Entering the driver side, he sat behind the wheel, turning on the high-powered Military Band radio and grabbed the receiver.

"11-4494 to Dispatch," he spoke into the receiver, "I have a 10-50, possible 10-57 shoot and run. Time on scene 4 hours. Request CSI for clean-up and evidence evaluation."

There was a short pause, then, "10-4 11-4494, dispatching 10-103 to your location. Remain on site until debrief."

"Acknowledged, remain on site until debrief. 11-4494 out."

He replaced his receiver, sighing as he sat back in the drivers seat. He grabbed his morning coffee from the cup holder, sipping it as he realized it was somewhat colder than what he remembered. It didn't matter. The caffeine would still work, so he hoped. The location of the crime was secluded from the rest of the county, so there'd be little to no chance of interruption. Still, he had a job to do. Finishing another long sip, he exhaled as he pressed a button to turn on his lights, then pressed the button on the dash to open the trunk. He exited the patrol car in a somewhat lazy fashion, eyeing his surroundings before moving to the trunk to retrieve the appropriate equipment for his next job. A few minutes later he had road warning signs set up, standing near his patrol car as one hand rested in his BDU pocket and the other holding a coffee. He hoped it wouldn't be a long wait.

-----
Part 3
Last edited by Anagonia on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Sins of our Forefathers #3 Chapter 1, Part 3

Postby Anagonia » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Chapter 1; Part 3; Sins of our Forefathers

0900 Hours Anagonian Central Standard Time

One hour later and the accident scene was an official crime scene. There was little traffic to redirect, so most of the Military Policemen on scene were assigned to find further evidence missed by the Detective Shane and his follow-up. Crime Scene Investigations was on scene doing their wizardly work, taking pictures and looking at the finer details for clues that not even Thomas would have figured to look for. Already there were some facts coming to light, some of which caught Thomas' attention.

The dead mans name was Dunan Ruu, the Fifth. His great grandfather was the Chief Governor of the United Republic, back when that was a thing, and he was apparently the last son in the line. He was 45 at the age of his death and there had been no indication from either MP reports or close family that he was in bad standing or a target of someone else. His death had been marked a homicide due to the overwhelming evidence at the scene of the crime and the cause of death was more than likely the bullet hole in his head, as Thomas had first investigated. He was the holder of a vast fortune that had been passed down from father to son since the United Republic and he had owned his own trucking company that serviced the majority of the Confederacy. There was plenty of bold-faced motives that stuck out to Thomas and his counterparts, much of which would be investigated separately or as a team depending on what the regional MP HQ decided. As it stood at that specific moment, Detective Thomas Shane had authority over the case.

Thomas' follow-up, Detective Richard McGee, had been the first MP to arrive on the scene following Thomas' call to dispatch. As was his responsibility, Detective McGee had went behind Thomas to look over his findings to justify their authenticity. It was a standard procedure for preliminary crime scene analysis among the Detective branch, peers looking over peers work and when necessary clarifying or correcting mistakes. As was expected, no mistakes or issues were found, and Richard stood to back up Thomas' findings on the scene when the CSI boys and girls had arrived. When they had established authority over further investigations on the scene, Thomas and Richard had retreated to Thomas' patrol car. They both had fresh styrofoam cups of coffee, thanks to the CSI van on scene.

"You going to hand over authority to these guys?" Richard had asked, motioning with his cup after taking a sip. He rested his posterior against the passenger side of Thomas' patrol car, observing the quiet busyness of the CSI MP's as they continued their methodical work. Only after motioning did he look at Thomas, his aged complexion mostly hiding the rigors and abuse of Richards everyday job assignments. He was slightly taller than Thomas if they stood toe to toe, but they both had the same average to lean body type. His green eyes seemed to bore into Thomas as his counterpart Detective turned his attention to Richard to reply.

"I probably will," Thomas replied, taking a long sip of his freshly steaming cup. "I'm not particular on glory hogging."

Both turned their heads towards the field of tall grass. CSI had pulled the body from the vehicle, two MP's carefully toting the body towards the CSI van proper. It wouldn't be long till an ambulance arrived on scene, probably followed by a tow truck if they kept to the book.

"I still find it strange," Richard said as they both watched the body bag being carried. "His great grandfather, Chief Governor of the land at one point. The kid was basically a billionaire, worked hard, paid his taxes on time, never once had a report about him or any of his kind having a stalker or a hitman. Then, boom, he's dead off the side of a dirt road in bum-fucking-no-where."

Thomas remained quiet. He was waiting for the clarifying point to the statement. When none came, he spoke up. "And what's strange about that?" he asked after a silence had lingered.

"It's strange because if he was a target of someones ire, wouldn't he or his father, or his fathers father had been killed by now?" Richard clarified, looking to Thomas. "I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm calling a conspiracy on this one."

There was nothing special about the conversation they were having. This type of discussion was the typical, run-of-the-mill banter for their rank and position. Typically a Detective was called to investigate a scene or trail a person of interest, tasks that were typically low-key and didn't involve a lot of high-profile interest from public eyes. Incidents such as the one presently in Detective Shanes hands were beyond the norm, obliging the interest of those within the Detective branch and open to interpretation - especially this early into it. Since there was a high-profile individual involved in the crime itself, specifically being the person who was dead, guessing games as to the why and how were going to be the norm. It made things interesting in a job that was typically anything but.

Playing along, Thomas suggested, "Maybe it was someone from his past who came back to finish a job? Too early to tell. Though you'd be right by how shitty mysterious it is."

Both Detectives went quiet as they observed the scene before them. CSI MP's were still moving hither and from places of interest at the crime scene, specifically the vehicle itself. They casually sipped their respective cups of coffee during the lingering silence, both briefly glancing up the road as the ambulance came into view, followed closely behind by a tow truck. As Thomas looked into the distance at the two approaching vehicles, he watched as Richard turned his head to look at him. He met his peers gaze.

"Mind if I take this case with you?" Richard asked, all of a sudden.

Thomas shrugged. "I don't see why not," he replied. "Might end up being something big, might not. Might still need help. CSI won't catch everything."

"Yeah, they tend to overlook 'conspiracy theories' a lot," Richard said with a chuckle, looking back to the scene.

Thomas smiled at the quip, letting lose a cough as he looked back down the road. It wouldn't be long until the chief investigator came to him with a preliminary report. From there he'd formally hand the scene over. His job of playing foreman would end. The real fun, the leg work, would begin then.

-----
Part 4
Last edited by Anagonia on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Sins of our Forefathers #4 Chapter 1, Part 4

Postby Anagonia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 am

Chapter 1; Part 4; Sins of our Forefathers

1320 Hours Anagonian Eastern Standard Time

The State of Liberty held a vast swath of land. This was ever more apparent as one would take their vehicle onto the extensive interstate network that linked and supplied the nations cities. After handing over command of the scene to the reigning CSI MP, Detective Thomas Shane had bid Detective Richard McGee a temporary farewell. Richard would need to file the appropriate paperwork at his designated command post so as the region he patrolled would not lack for an active Detective when he took on the part as Thomas' partner. Thomas would be required to do the same, a similarly easy process in relative terms, that would permit the region he took the beat on to supply itself with another active Detective as he investigated a case. The only setback for both of them was the distances between both points and the time to traverse them on the nations interstate highways. Once this minor complication was out of the way, investigation into the case would begin proper, and Detectives Shane and McGee would formally be assigned to solving the case.

Thomas gazed fondly at the countryside as it passed by him, his patrol car cruising at a steady 100 mph on Interstate 1. Thirty minutes ago he had departed the crime scene deep within the Liberty countryside, his mind briefly wandering to the events leading up to the discovery of the accident. Detectives in the Military Police played an important role in the everyday workings of civil protection, but they also kept many of the traditional roles of a standard Military Policeman. This morning had been an example of that, as Thomas had nothing formally to investigate and was running a routine patrol route through one of his assigned districts. Had it not been for the fact that his slate was relatively clean, he'd of never had found that accident, never of opened the door to the possible importance of the individual who sat dead in that driver seat. It was a set of coincidences that seemed to nag at his mind for a bit as he briefly recalled those events, a memory of his training sticking to the fore just then.

"There are no such things as coincidences, only evidence."

The words played in his mind as if they were spoken the that very day at the academy some twenty-odd years ago. Sheriff Willington had been a guest speaker at the class introduction that day, and while the majority of the speech had been for the standard rookie who intended to make the rank of Trooper, that specific line had been for those aiming for Detective. Thomas carefully observed the road as his mind replayed the speech.

"There are no such things as coincidences, only evidence," Sheriff Willington had said as he stood behind the podium all those years ago. "In my forty years of service, not once has a single coincidence been anything but a coincidence. Every action taken is linked by a series of events that can be traced back to a specific intent, regardless if that intent is malicious or benevolent. Each and every coincidence you feel has happened is your gut telling you to investigate a trail of clues. Always listen to your gut, and always investigate coincidences."

A cabover rig rolled past his patrol car in the fast lane, going well over 120 miles per hour. Thomas observed the logo on the side of the cabs passenger door briefly, then the bold logo on the fifty-three footer trailer, telling for the world to see that this was an Anagonian National Freight truck. He considered the truck for a moment, watching as it peacefully cruised in a relatively empty lane at its legal speed. Two more similar cabover trucks moved past then, a small convoy of rigs trailing one another as was typical on the nations highways. No doubt the three had been loaded at the same shipper and were all going either to the same receiver, or the majority of them were. Bulk freight shipping was a common practice in the Anagonian market and the easiest way was to utilize a convoy of rigs for that purpose. It not only provided the necessary jobs to stimulate the market, it also ensured a steady supply of bulk goods. Other nations would no doubt have a different practice, but for how large and vast Anagonia was it made sense to utilize convoys.

Something seemed to click as he observed the last truck in the three-truck convoy move onward in the distance. Hadn't the CSI boys said that the victim owned a trucking company? Thomas tried to recall, thinking back during the events to remember clearly what he had been told. Something Transportation, he had remembered that much. Was it Ruu Transportation? He thought it was. Thomas had kept a notepad filled with such relevant information, but at the high speeds he traveled he didn't want to distract himself on the road by grabbing it. His eyes caught the glint of a sign in the distance, a truck stop sign. A plan began to unfold his mind, a probable avenue to investigate. Turning on his right turn signal, he made his way over to the slow lane once traffic had cleared for him, aiming to exit the interstate at the advertised exit for the truck stop. It was on the way to his command post, anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to try this probable lead.

Slowing his vehicle down, he again turned his right turn signal on. Exiting the interstate, he turned right off the exit and headed for signed entrance for cars into the truck stop. It never hurt to ask a trucker some advice about a trucking company. They'd be the first to know, at least he hoped.

-----

Last edited by Anagonia on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anagonia
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Anagonia » Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 am

REWORKED TIMELINE
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Reworked Timeline

--0 AUR--

Following the devastating loss of a World War, the collapse of the United Republic of Anagonia due to internal political strains, and the harsh and deadly process of reuniting the mainland, on September 14th, 1947, the signing of the Constitution of the Confederate States and the Articles of the Armed Forces of the Confederacy took place to formally establish the new national government of the Confederate States of Anagonia. A few days later, Colonel Tiberius Samsus, veteran of the Greater World War, and primary warlord responsible for reuniting the mainland into a cohesive nation, is elected as the First President of the Confederate States by a vast majority of counted votes. Following a brief disagreement due to disputed vote count, the newly established courts are tried for the first time to solve the dispute, and due to notable discrepancies in manual vote counting order a recount. Tiberius does not object, stating the authority of the courts and their role to uphold the new law. Two weeks later, after all possible votes are counted, a vote in favor of his Presidency by 98% is officially recognized by the courts thereby establishing the legitimacy of his Presidency.

During the remainder of this year, the Congress of the Confederate States submits for Presidential and Judicial approval that the Anagonian Calendar be officially switched over to Years After United Republic (AUR), and formalize the date of September 14th, 0 AUR as Foundation Day and recognize the celebration thereof. The decision is unanimous between the Judicial and Executive Branches of government, and the decision is formalized.

The long process begins on how to handle the growing tensions between the newly established Confederate States of Anagonia and the independent nations of Drekamythia and Nodea Rudav, which had at one time been united with Anagonia under the umbrella of the United Republic.

--1 AUR--

The Soviet Union of Nodea Rudav and the Imperial Empire of Drekamythia, both bordering nations to the fledgling Confederate States, begin showing signs of growing distrust for not only each other, but Anagonia as well. Preliminary diplomatic solutions are hard at work as they try to hash out some way to unite the continent once again. Proposes to have Drekamythia and Nodea Rudav apply for statehood are immediately rejected and seen as a hostile provokation. For a period of five months, all diplomatic dialogue is cut off with Anagonia and a period of growing tension is amplified as Anagonian borders are lined with military outposts and units. The fledgling Confederate States attempts to defend its recognized borders, but its joint military is still severely weakened from the efforts of unification. The first crisis of the Confederate States of Anagonia begins.

Border skirmishes are soon reported as Confederate forces retaliate to Imperial and Soviet gunfire, but thankfully no casualties are reported on any side of the skirmish. Reports come in from the Imperial/Confederate borders that Imperial units are pushing further into Confederate-claimed lands, but just as soon as the military gears to respond the Imperial forces retreat to their prior positions. The same situations happen along the Soviet/Confederate borders. President Tiberius Samsus becomes personally involved in the situation, deeming the provocations of the two nations as tests to the resolve of the new Confederacy. As he assists with military deployments he begins a new recruiting campaign for the Confederate Military, parading the idea of mandatory service. Soon after in April of that year, with huge public approval, Mandatory Military Service is added into the enshrined laws of the land.

With swelling numbers in the ranks of the military, the majority of which are experienced veterans from the prior wars of the country and the unification effort thereafter, Tiberius gathers with his highest ranking commanding officers to plot and ponder a response. Operation Flightpath is soon orchestrated, utilizing the combined efforts of two newly established Armies of the Confederacy, with a few fleet and air assets salvaged from the unification war. In June of that year, with short notice and dwindling time to respond, Tiberius commences the operation. Overnight, and with surprisingly minimal casualties to both sides, the two main Armies of the Confederacy cut swathes of land into the Soviet and Imperial territories. Soon, Confederate boots are marching near their respective capitals. Tiberius sends a message that both nations will either enter into proper diplomacy, or he will personally order his armies to begin occupation - a bluff considering at the time the two Armies of the Confederacy were incapable of such actions. Within six hours, Tiberius bluff pays off, and he withdraws his forces as diplomatic negotiations resumes.

--4 AUR--

With the conclusion of negotiations at hand, the formation of the United Continental Confederation is authorized and entered into by the three nations of the Confederate States of Anagonia, the Soviet Union of Nodea Rudav, and the Imperial Empire of Drekamythia. Relations between all three nations vastly improve. With an open avenues to address grievances and establish treaties of all kinds, trade and tourism begin to flourish. Military relations also increase, with several joint exercises conducted within the first year of the inception of the United Continental Confederation. With the successful conclusion of the first crisis to the Confederacy, President Tiberius Samsus turns his attention to other growing concerns within the Confederacy.

--5 AUR--

Tiberius Samsus is reelected as President of the Confederate States. Following a full swing of national debate and referendums, a full and fresh congressional compliment is elected, with many prior volunteers reelected officially. Confidence in the survivability of the Confederate government is high. That same year, West Island, the notable military and space hub of the defunct United Republic, announces its intentions to surrender authority to the Confederate States after prolonged deliberations, which had initially been highly leaning towards West Island independence. The Confederate Aeronautics and Space Administration is formalized and established to handle the new additions, utilizing resources leftover from the United Republic.

Within this same year, General Oswald Smitz, a notorious proponent for a unified Anagonia, goes missing with all of troops from a military outpost in the southern part of the State of Imperium. In total, a complement of 3,000 soldiers, and dozens of tanks and vehicles remained unaccounted for. As one Military Policeman who investigated the scene famously put it, "It's as if they all just got up and left and took everything with them". Concerns arise within the State Government that the Drekamythian Empire has some involvement in the disappearance. A formal request for investigation is submitted to the Confederate government and forwarded to the newly established UCC council.

Later that same year, several thousand more soldiers go missing at another base in the State of Imperium. With the credibility of the Confederate Military Police on the line, Detective Andrew Shane, one of the countries most notable policeman from an era past, is put in charge of the investigation. It is quickly discovered through talks that the Imperial Empire of Drekamythia had nothing to do with the disappearances. With full cooperation established through proper United Continental Confederation dialogue, a brief expedition into the Empire finds no records of the missing equipment either. Instead, all evidence points northward, towards the mountains. Within days a previously overlooked journal is discovered that reveals a possible motive; rebellion.

Despite extensive aerial and satellite reconnaissance, including on-foot expeditions into the mountains, no evidence of any base of operations is found. For the moment, the investigation stalls.

--6 AUR--

On February 2nd, 6 AUR, President Tiberius Samsus's motorcade is traveling to an event in the northeast of the State of Lexington, near Union City. Halfway there, the motorcade - protected by Military Policeman - is ambushed by unknown military forces on the highway in broad daylight. Casualties are high, and after a brief skirmish with remaining MP forces, the President is taken hostage. Reports from the surviving Military Policeman were grim. A strong, sizable enemy force had somehow camped along the hills bordering the interstate highway. Detective Andrew Shane finds further evidence that the outlying towns spotted and interacted with soldiers in a military convoy, who for all appearances were perceived to be Confederate soldiers, save for one distinct difference; the flag of the United Republic was clearly visible on their uniforms. No one had thought at the time that this presented any form of danger, and no charges were ever filed.

Humiliated by their lack of oversight and the devastating loss of their President who was under their charge, General of the Confederate States Military Police Ronald Hithforth resigns. Hours after his resignation he is found dead in his home office, having committed suicide with a gunshot wound to his head. Detective Andrew Shane is tasked with cleaning up the scene and finds a suicide note. In it is detailed the reason for the Generals suicide; treason, and regret thereof. With his last words, the deceased General gives the probable location of the unknown forces hideout, and clearly names them as the Sons of the United Republic.

With no response from these Sons of the United Republic and a missing Commander in Chief and President, Vice President Robert Leeson is sworn temporarily into the oath of office as acting President. Relaying his findings to the top brass of the Confederate Military, Andrew Shane receives a call from Acting President Leeson that he is to assume the role of General of the Confederate States Military Police until such a time as one can appointed, and solve this mess. With renewed vigor and more resources at his disposal, Acting General Shane proceeds to formulate plans for an appropriate response.

Two weeks after the death of the disgraced General Hithford, and with no response in any capacity from the Sons of the United Republic, Andrew Shane combines his resources and those of other military branches to raid the location listed in the suicide note. With early reconnaissance confirming it as an unlisted military outpost of some kind, the word is given to proceed on course. For the next forty-two hours, intense fighting commences between the forces of the Sons of the United Republic and the Confederate States Military Police, aided by assets from the Confederate States Marine Corps and Confederate States Air Force. In a daring attempt to rescue the President - or what would remain of him - Acting General Shane leads a raid into the heart of the practical fortress through helicopter, with other air and ground assets severely distracting the security. With heavy losses, they manage to find a heavily guarded room and blow through the blast doors protecting it. There, against the wall, battered and bruised into a practical unrecognizable state, is Tiberius Samsus. Reinforcements are called to assist with the extraction and within two hours, the combined Confederate elements had all but silenced resistance and rescued their captured Commander in Chief.

Those Sons of the United Republic who did not surrender were given no quarrel, and at the end of the battle well over 2800 soldiers of the SUR had been killed or severely maimed. Only 200 had the sense to surrender, either when all hope was lost or at the beginning of their fight. In the resulting aftermath, it was found that nearly all of the members of the SUR had served under leaders and generals obedient to the United Republic and during the unification had been instructed to lay in dormancy until best called. General Oswald Smitz had been one of those Generals, and General Ronald Hithforth had been another. Early reports from interrogation had revealed that General Hithforth had been swaying in loyalties to the Sons of the United Republic due to the success of the Confederacy, which prompted General Smitz to act in open rebellion against the Confederacy. It was found later that the reason for the Presidents abduction wasn't originally to harm him, but merely to force him to recognize General Oswald Smitz and his Sons of the United Republic a place separate from the Confederate States, specifically the State of Imperium.

The demands then became more elaborated as Tiberius rejected each one, and soon the hospitality decreased to the point of beatings. From the eyewitnesses accounts of the SUR soldiers on duty on the time, it appeared that Oswald was becoming progressively more hostile towards Tiberius, to the point where a mere blink triggered a beating. Eventually the President had been reduced to the state he had been upon recovery, a bloody mess, beaten and almost broken. Some of the SUR even stated that had it not been for the timely nighttime operation to recover him, that General Smitz was to execute the President on grounds of treason against the United Republic. Despite further interrogations, no clue to the whereabouts of General Oswald Smitz was ever discovered, who had apparently fled the scene sometime prior to the recovery operation.

Three months later, after enduring painful surgeries and rehabilitation, Tiberius Samsus walks with the assistance of a cane into the Grand Congress Building with rapturous applause. In an emotional ceremony where Acting President Robert Leeson was to resume his duties as Vice President, he is instead handed over the Presidency by Tiberius with blessing. Following a brief explanation of excuse due to personal health reasons on behalf of Tiberius, and with the first and only ceremonial vote to accept a Presidents nomination for his own successor, President Robert Leeson assumes the Office of the Confederate Presidency for the duration of Tiberius's intended term.

Tiberius Samsus, hero and one of the founders of the Confederate States, retires peacefully to a countryside villa near the shores of the Sea of Independence, living quietly in the State of Saratoga, the place of his birth. He would make a brief return to politics in the following decade, but after which he would resume his retirement for the rest of his days in peace and contentment to the nation he helped found.

Acting General Andrew Shane generously stepped down from his role as Acting General of the Confederate States Military Police. He and those who served in the recovery operation were all awarded the Confederate Presidential Medal of Valiantry, with various other medals, honors, and recognitions. He went on to have a son, Richard Shane, who would in time have a son named Thomas Shane. They all would continue the family tradition of serving the Confederacy dutifully as they would don the uniform of the Confederate Military Policeman.

Despite an extensive manhunt, General Oswald Smitz was never found.

--10 AUR--

Arnold Jefferson is elected as the 2nd President of the Confederate States. Analysts would later contribute his victory to his Vice-Presidential Appointment, that of Tiberius Samsus. The Presidency of Arnold Jefferson is a peaceful one, with reconstruction from the unification reaching near completion as the states finalize their rebuilding of the national interstate network with the help of their allies in Drekamythia and Nodea Rudav. In a heartwarming ceremony, President Jefferson steps down from his role to officially open the rebuilt interstate network and instead allows Vice President Tiberius Samsus do the honors. As Jefferson famously stated, "The man who built this country deserves this honor, I'm merely the man elected to maintain it".

With the official reopening of the Anagionian Interstate Highway Network, spanning from across and within the borders of Nodea Rudav and Drekamythia and parts of the eastern unclaimed lands, trade and travel flourishes, along with tourism to parts that had been for several years cut off from modern society. In the reconstruction efforts of the interstate network, a previously forgotten nation of animal and lizard people had been rediscovered, calling themselves the Kretanians. Records recovered from before the collapse of the United Republic indicated they had been saved in a military operation from a tyrannical and genocidal country, granted land, and left to their own devices with the occasional supply transport. They had been unaware of the United Republics demise, and at first didn't believe the Confederate Military Policemen who had first encountered the Kretanians. Eventually, however, with overwhelming evidence to the contrary presented talks with the Kretanians flourished. Due to the nature of their arrival to Anagonia, the Confederate States Military Police officially petitioned for their rights as a native tribespeople, which would grant them authority over their own lands and sovereignty over their own decisions. The petition was, unanimously, accepted by the Grand Congress of the Confederacy. The Kretanians were once again left to their own devices, with the occasional check-up from the Military Policeman permitted to maintain relations.

--15 AUR--

Despite an intense campaign, Arnold Jefferson loses to incumbent Jason Faltore, a Military Policeman who had assisted in the direct recovery of Tiberius Samsus. Having not anticipated a win, Jason had not run with a Vice Presidential pick. Instead, days before his oath of office, Jason invites Arnold to be his VP pick. Arnold accepts graciously. Thus began the familiar tradition of offering the loser to the race a chance at the Office of the Vice President, so long as the winner had no pick or the winners pick gracious stepped aside so the tradition could continue. Thereafter, President Jason Faltore is sworn in as the 3rd President of the Confederate States, and his term, much like Jeffersons before his, remained uneventful.

TO BE CONTINUED LATER
Last edited by Anagonia on Sun May 12, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates