NATION

PASSWORD

Desert Runners 1873 [OOC; Sunalaya]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
De Fleuves
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby De Fleuves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:49 pm

D e s e r t R u n n e r s

Yasra
Almost ten years after the annexation of Yasra into the Second d'Fleuvien Empire, large populations of d'Fleuviens and Dormillians migrated to the desert lands in settlements. The local Yasiri populations were never too found of the Ventismariens who viewed themselves as superior. The lands of Yasra were internationally recognized as d'Fleuviens and followed the Second Empire's code of laws. But the vast ranges of emptiness only give way for more lawlessness. The recent discoveries by the Ventismariens of Gold and Oil in the lands only bring bad news for the locals and settlers and great news for anyone outside.

21st November 1872
Before the largest swarms of business could reach the region an earthquake shook the earth. Many were effected and the damages cost not only the lives of many but also the destruction of many cultural centres for the local Yasiris. The Dormillian Settlement of Charenton was one of those who were lucky enough to be in the middle of the earthquake yet survive with almost no scratches. It was at that time that Sir Florian Léon Delaunay was dispatched to set up a base in Charenton and provide aid to the population after the earthquake. The land is harsh but full of potential compassing both ancient times and modern curiosity for more knowledge and production. When new and old collide, when ancient shamanist desert magic and steam powered disruptions shake the lands the entire world changes.

IC Thread

Character Application
Code: Select all
Character Name:
Nationality:
Description:

Character Name:
Sir Florian Léon Delaunay

Nationality:
d'Fleuvien

Description:

Sir Florian Léon Delaunay, a d'Fleuvien nobleman born in 1841(aged 31) is the King's advisor to Yasiri geography. Even before the annexation of Yasra he spend many of his days in the lands and lived alongside the locals. A respected tutor at the Ales-Claure University and an honourable guest at many of the Yasiri tribes. In 1863 after Yasra was annexed he left his home there and moved to mainland d'Fleuves to advise the King in all matters regarding Yasra. He fought in the Dormillian Revolutionary War on the d'Fleuvien side and since has grew hatred for Dormillians but has still found Charenton as his only option for a base of operations. Now ten years later he returns with the order of the King to releif the region from the earthquake and settle any conflicts between tribes and between the Ventismariens.
Last edited by De Fleuves on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human, not Humane

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:00 pm

damn... I know I said I was busy, but it looks so good!
... tag *grumble grumble grumble*
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

De Fleuves
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby De Fleuves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Rhodevus wrote:damn... I know I said I was busy, but it looks so good!

Yay! Go Rhode! :D
Human, not Humane

Beruka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:03 pm

De Fleuves wrote:
Rhodevus wrote:damn... I know I said I was busy, but it looks so good!

Yay! Go Rhode! :D

How would the Berukan Empire be able to join?

De Fleuves
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby De Fleuves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Beruka wrote:
De Fleuves wrote:Yay! Go Rhode! :D

Well most likely yes! How was the Berukan Empire at the time?
Human, not Humane

Beruka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Beruka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:12 pm

De Fleuves wrote:
Beruka wrote:

Well most likely yes! How was the Berukan Empire at the time?

13 years in existence, somewhat more open than today.

Minarchismusland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchismusland » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Character Name: Eduardo Augusto Guimarães

Nationality: Brazziliania

Description: Eduardo Augusto was a military officer of the Julio-Columbian Empire (which would later change it's name to Brazziliania, or Brasiliana in Portuguese). After the emperor Dom Carlos III declared support to the d'Fleuvian Empire, Eduardo was sent as the captain of a troop unit. The 49-year-old was fluent in Italian and French, also knowing intermediary Arabic due to previous missions in the Middle East.

Appearance:

Last edited by Minarchismusland on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Brazilian - Classical Liberal - INFP - Atheist

Minarchismusland's IIwiki page - Confidential OOC info - Political Compass

Inspired by: Switzerland, Germany, Argentina, Chile

Puppets: Brazziliania and Jojiania

Minarchismusland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchismusland » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:46 pm

The name I came up with for the Empire before turning into a republic or whatever it is now is pretty lame tbh, so I guess eventuslly I'll think of a better and less generic one.

De Fleuves
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby De Fleuves » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Resources

1870 - 1871 Army Sizes by Men
CountryArmy CompositionTotal
Russian Army1,500,000 Regulars and Reservists1,500,000
Prussian Army300,000 Regulars, 900,000 Reservists1,200,000
French Army492,585 Regulars, 417,366 Reservists909,951
Austro-Hungarian Army720,000 Regulars and Reservists720,000
American Army700,000 Regulars and Reservists700,000
British Army430,000 Regulars430,000+

Compared to population the military is between 1% and 2% of the total population at peacetimes. At war times it can reach up to half the male population or around 20% of the total population(Keep in mind mobilisation times will be around 4% of the population mobilised each year once the pace has picked up. Meaning initially mobilisation will be slow but will speed up to 4% of the population mobilised per year until 20% of the population has served and possibly died in service)

More resources will be posted here in the future(Or I'll move this to the main thread)
Last edited by De Fleuves on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human, not Humane

Dormill and Stiura
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Character Name: Sir Calixte Lévesque, Governor of Charenton
Nationality: West Dormillian (More pure French than Eastern Dormillian which was taking on traits of Stiuraian)
Description: Born in 1826 to d'Fleuvien nobles living in western Lieurneux in an extravagant Château for most of his life Calixte Martel (adopted Lévesque in 1860) lived a fairly standard life for most living in Western Lieurneux. Leading up to the revolution, he took a bookkeeping apprenticeship to a rich lord in Avillon where he read of and watched several meetings of the then rebellious Congress of Dormillian Nationals, of which his master was a leading member of. When the revolution started off he was sent to Stiura for his safety while the revolution went on. At the age of 9, when the Stiuraian Revolution started, he ran away from his hideaway in Stiura in an attempt to return to his parents who he believed still lived in Dormill). It was in late 1838 that he was caught in the middle of the Battle of Altagene, one of the determining battles of the Revolution for Dormill against De Flevues. Following the revolution, he traveled the land, taking on odd jobs and living in a varied few places until 1859 when he was riding from his house, he happened upon a rider sent for a d'Fleuvien lord who was living in one of the pockets that did not join Dormill in the revolution, after killing the rider as a mistake, he saw the letter that was sent. In short, the letter asked of the Lord Lévesque to head to the recently founded settlement of Charenton to be its Govenor. Taking opportunity where he found it, he took the ship that awaited Sir Lévesque and left for Yarsa.
Appearance:

Character Name: Nicolaus Gorman, Colonel of the 4th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade of the Stiuraian Army
Nationality: Stiuraian
Description: Born in Stiura to only his mother, Colonel Gorman never knew his true father, but took on the tutelage of a general in the Old Guard of the Stiuraian Army, a division under the express control of Friedrich II of Engleberg. Initially loyal to the Englean regime when the Stiuraian Revolution broke out as he turned 20 but as he saw the horrors Englean forces wrought on civilians who were supportive of the rebellion, he quickly enlisted in the Dormill-Stiuraian Army which had only recently formed. Serving with valor and distinction, Gorman climbed the ranks until he gained command over the 4th Infantry Regiment, known as the Bricksquad for their famous holding of Fort Boissieux for 20 days with no reinforcements. With the election of President Favre and the 1872 Earthquake, Gorman alongside his partner Raphael Sternberg, were deployed to the Yarsi settlement of Charenton to relieve the privately announced Dormillian settlement from d'Fleuvien control.
Appearance:

Character Name: Raphael Sternberg, Colonel of the 3rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade of the Stiuraian Army
Nationality: Stiutaian
Description: Much unlike his partner, Colonel Gorman, Colonel Sternberg had a much less troubled past. Born to a Strategist and his wife, Raphael (born: 1813) had enjoyed the luxuries offered to high ranking Englean officers, constantly heading out to balls in both Stiura and Engleberg, even meeting Kaiser Friedrich II as a child. These early interactions produced a fiercely loyal Englean solider when he joined the Herr at 24 to fight against the rebels. As the Revolution in Stiura turned sour for Engleberg, some among his men began to mutiny against the "lapdog of the wretched Kaiser" causing a division-wide revolt against the officers. Sternberg managed to escape the mutiny, but was captured by Stiuraian militiamen who were on patrol in the local area. They recognized the Captain and delivered him to the top brass of the Dormill-Stiuraian Army, who offered him a choice of returning to Engleberg in a prisoner ransom or to serve in the new Dormill-Stiuraian Army as a Colonel. As history will write, he spent 5 days and 5 nights pondering the question and his life up until that point until he determined that working with the Dormill-Stiuraians would be more beneficial than returning to Engleberg. Though a traitor, he continued to write to his fellow officers in Engleberg on personal matters as the revolution drew to a close. Previous Presidents had asked that he serve as a Military Attache to Dormill-Stiuraian diplomatic missions to Engleberg, but he has declined the offer to continue working with his Regiment, where he met an up and coming Lieutenant Colonel by the name of Nicolaus Gorman, who he helped get his promotion to Colonel of the 4th Infantry Regiment in the following years. Alongside his partner, Sternberg was tasked by the President to secretly relieve the settlement of Charenton and assert Dormill-Stiuraian control where it has been requested.
Appearance:
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Liberty, Justice, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021
Oh Night Unholy
Shadow
Terror
Inferno (Coming Soon)

Rezua
Minister

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:38 am

Tag
My second language is Sindarin

"The best liars are those who tell the truth most of the time" - Vin Mistborn: The Final Empire

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"- Elodin The Name of the Wind

“Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing" - Dalinar Oathbringer

De Fleuves
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby De Fleuves » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 am

Rezua wrote:Tag

Yay Rez!
Human, not Humane

Rezua
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 am

Okay so what I'm thinking of is creating a Rezuan regiment with native guides (since Rezuans really wouldn't mind working with native tribes) that somehow is keeping Rezuan interest in local resources balanced with the local population.

Where is Yasra by the way? Is it Middle-Eastern? Also, would it be reasonable for me to have a colony there or can I not have one?
Last edited by Rezua on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The best liars are those who tell the truth most of the time" - Vin Mistborn: The Final Empire

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"- Elodin The Name of the Wind

“Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing" - Dalinar Oathbringer

Minarchismusland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchismusland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:44 am

Character Name: Mumina Abdulrashid (Brünhilde Rothberg)

Nationality: Neulandian (Minarchismusland)

Description: Brünhilde was born in Steinram, Kaisersland (later a part of the Confederation of Minarchismusland), in the year of 1846, near the end of the Revolutionary War, which led to independence from the Englean Kaiserreich. Her father was an important businessman, and she, along with her parents and 6 siblings moved to Engelberg, in Engleberg (no longer owning the colonies of Neuland, which unified and formed the Neulandian Empire). At the time, Brünhilde was 13 years old and the youngest child of Karl Rothberg. Two years later, she would have a new brother, with her mother Hilda Rothberg dying while giving birth. Karl went into depression, becoming addicted to alcoholic drinks and losing a great part of his fortune.

By Brünhilde's 22nd birthday, in 1868, things weren't going well in the family. Her oldest brother killed himself for being under a large amount of debts, one of her sisters died of pneumonia while the other was severely sick, and her other three older brothers frequently went in trouble with the Englean police. Karl Rothberg's depression had became way worse, and so did his debts. Brünhilde was the only one who could take care of Hans, the youngest child, and dedicated most of her time to do so. One night, one of her older brothers came into her bedroom telling he discovered their father owned a debt to a drug dealer that he couldn't afford, and that they had sent people to kill Karl's youngest daughter.

After quickly running away, Brünhilde Rothberg was advised by her brother to travel to the d'Feluvian colony of Yasra, between two of Engleberg's colonies. She was fluent in French, which would help to communicate with the Dormillian and d'Fleuvian population, and her brother knew many people in there from past trips, so she could simply say she was her daughter. After escaping hidden in a trading ship along with a few weeks of walking, she arrived in a Yasiri village. While first she could only talk to the Ventismarien immigrants, Brünhilde soon became attracted by the Islam, converting herself from Christianism and changing her name to Mumina Abdulrashid, after marrying to a native.

As the years passed by, she occasionally sent letters to her alive siblings. Her other sister died, one of her brothers was arrested, and Karl Rothberg died due to alcoholic poisoning. Mumina became fluent in Arabic, and felt much more connected to her Muslim companions than to the other Ventismarien immigrants, despite still suffering prejudice. After the earthquake of November 21st, her husband died, leaving her widowed. Despite the international aid to help the people affected by the disaster, Mumina still didn't trust them, especially with all the newcomers willing only to extract precious products from Yasiri territory.

Appearance:

Last edited by Minarchismusland on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Minarchismusland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchismusland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:52 am

Rezua wrote:Okay so what I'm thinking of is creating a Rezuan regiment with native guides (since Rezuans really wouldn't mind working with native tribes) that somehow is keeping Rezuan interest in local resources balanced with the local population.

Where is Yasra by the way? Is it Middle-Eastern? Also, would it be reasonable for me to have a colony there or can I not have one?

I'm assuming they're Middle-Eastern since it's a desert and they wear Arabic clothing in the OP pic, otherwise I might have to change a few stuff about my second character ._.

Romaleus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Romaleus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:41 am

Tag.

I think I'm going to make two characters. One contracted to find precious resources while Yasra recovers from the earthquake. Another person who is able to get along with the native peoples so they are not angered by the Romalean presence.

DFleuves
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby DFleuves » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Rezua wrote:Okay so what I'm thinking of is creating a Rezuan regiment with native guides (since Rezuans really wouldn't mind working with native tribes) that somehow is keeping Rezuan interest in local resources balanced with the local population.

Yasra is in the middle east between Engleberg's two colonies. Uh, if you find a good spot without overlapping Yasra then you could have a colony.

Romaleus wrote:Tag.

I think I'm going to make two characters. One contracted to find precious resources while Yasra recovers from the earthquake. Another person who is able to get along with the native peoples so they are not angered by the Romalean presence.

Sounds great :3

Minarchismusland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchismusland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:38 pm

DFleuves wrote:

Yasra is in the middle east between Engleberg's two colonies. Uh, if you find a good spot without overlapping Yasra then you could have a colony.

Between Dinkleberg's colonies? I guess my character's backstory makes even more sense now.

Rezua
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:53 pm

DFleuves wrote:

Ugh I can't have a colony nor a reason for being there. I wouldn't be trapped between Engleberg.

Instead, I'll have troops pressuring the natives to rebel.

Rezua
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Character Name: Second Lieutenant Immanuel Vogel
Nationality: Rezuan
Description:

Immanuel Vogel is a brown haired, thinly bearded, thirty-three year old Kurzeran born Rezuan. A man who would have been just another lieutenant in the Rezuan Army became a key figure in a new colony. In 1845, The Rezuan Empire underwent rapid expansion as the quest to "moralize" the world began. Immanuel Vogel was born to a Revonic Catholic family in 1840, but they were from the working class and lived in a community with Muslim Kurzerans. Immanuel took a scholarly interest in Islam and traded his knowledge of his faith and culture with his friends to learn about theirs.

At the age of 16, Immanuel was becoming a well-known "historian" in his local community and was urged to go to an official academy (there was no public education in Kurzera yet). He applied for one of the few Academies in Kurzera and was accepted. Except, only the Imperial Forces Academy would take him.

In this military academy, his fluency in Yasiri and Arabic was highly admired by the school deans who offered Immanuel a full commission as an officer, rather than starting him as a Lieutenant-Observer for a year. This, however, meant he would go to the colony of Taliza. Immanuel had grown tired of being unable to put his learning to use and accepted. He has been stationed at Taliza since he graduated at twenty-six. During his time there, Immanuel practiced a more tolerant tone to the natives than the former colony leaders.

Character Name: Sergeant Leon Bergost
Nationality: Rezuan
Description:

Leon Bergost is a young thrill seeker with dull blonde hair. Leon was born in mainland Rezua and joined the army in order to travel the world. He did not know a word of Yasiri when he was thrust in the middle of Taliza.

Leon acted as a map maker due to his skilled drawing abilities but found getti around difficult. He was looked down on by his fellow soldiers for trying to learn Yasiri by going into local villages rather than staying in Rezuan communities or fort. Whenever he went, Leon brought fruit for the children of Talzian families. Originally, he was not trusted by the largely Islamic communities. However, they grew to love him after he got into a fight with another soldier. Rezuan soldiers would sometimes tease Talizan women by stealing their hijabs. Leon punched a man in the jaw for doing this and afterword personally returned the hijab to the rightful owner.

Leon was suppose to be punished for hitting a fellow soldier, but village elders spoke on his behalf. In order to keep a middle-man between them, the Rezuan higher ups gave Leon a less harsh punishment and sent him back to the village of Jalab. Immaunel heard about Leon and chose him to be his second-in-command for his fairness to the villagers.

Leon has begun to understand and speak Yasiri , though, only so far as what pertains to making a map or asking about geography.

Character Name: Gafar Karimi
Nationality: Talizan
Description:

Gafar Karimi is a middle-aged Muslim man who was originally opposed to Rezuan occupation. Gafar and the other men of his village fought against the Rezuan Army in a small Rebel Rising of 1859. In the war, Gafar was wounded in the leg and has had a slight limp ever since.

Gafar believed that the Rezuans had no respect for Islam or for the culture of the Talizan people. They brought hordes of Revonic Catholic missionaries and tried to limit Islam by educating young Talizan people in Revonic Catholic schools. However, Gafar was eventually persuaded into the idea of being part of Rezua by a Lieutenant Immanuel Vogel.

Gafar respected Immanuel because the young Rezuan was so tolerant of a completely alien culture. Gafar and Immanuel live at Jalab and discus with each other whenever a decision must be made on behalf of Jalab and three surrounding villages. Gafar also acts as Immanuel guide when traveling.

Character Name: Hadjara Nejem
Nationality: Talizan (Siynor Tribe)
Description:

Hadjara is a dark-haired twenty-six year old member of the Siynor Tribe, a minority group that worships a goddess known as Niliai. Niliai is said to be the mother of all living creatures. In the Siynor tribe, certain women are chosen to be protectors of living creatures.

Hadjara is one of the chosen who is learning the ways of the world and how to protect the natural holiness of life. She is a spiritual woman who views Rezuan machinery as an imbalance in the natural world. She, however, is not opposed to them since she has never meant anyone quite like them.

Hadjara is skilled on horseback and leads Leon through the desert to help him make maps. She hopes that by showing him these natural beauties, he might speak to Immanuel about stopping the rapid removal of resources from it.
Last edited by Rezua on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

Romaleus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Romaleus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm confused. I'm I supposed to be supplying aid to the Yasrans? Or taking over? Or leading a rebellion? Or taking advantage of the earthquake and stealing resources?

Dormill and Stiura
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dormill and Stiura » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:41 am

Romaleus wrote:I'm confused. I'm I supposed to be supplying aid to the Yasrans? Or taking over? Or leading a rebellion? Or taking advantage of the earthquake and stealing resources?

Take your pick and run with it. That's what I'm getting out of this.
The United Republics of Dormill and Stiura
Liberty, Justice, Democracy
Join The Western Isles and chart your own path!
"Interacting with Dormill and Stiura; violently." -Balnik, 2021
"DAZ CONGRATULATING SOMEONE FOR GETTING 60%! this is a highlight of my day!" Ainslie, 2021
Oh Night Unholy
Shadow
Terror
Inferno (Coming Soon)

DFleuves
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby DFleuves » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:07 pm

Dormill and Stiura wrote:
Romaleus wrote:I'm confused. I'm I supposed to be supplying aid to the Yasrans? Or taking over? Or leading a rebellion? Or taking advantage of the earthquake and stealing resources?

Take your pick and run with it. That's what I'm getting out of this.

What Dormill said :p

Rezua
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Can we start soon?

DFleuves
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby DFleuves » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 am

Rezua wrote:Can we start soon?

Yes soon :D
I have an exam on the Tanakh tomorrow so expect the IC tomorrow or in two days.
I hope all the characters are polished and finished!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates