NATION

PASSWORD

A Royal Affair

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

A Royal Affair

Postby Shalum » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Co-written with Acrea

Imperatorial Palace
Aragon, The Duchy of Haford
The Empire of Shalum

The seat from which the Imperial Shalumite family ruled was a spectacular place, spanning a thirty-acre hill that overlooked the capital of the nation. Originally constructed as a summer residence for House Holland and their client houses, the Baroque styled palace -which was made up of nearly 1,500 rooms, including several ballrooms, every type of service that the royal family might have needed, and an expansive private garden- had become one of the most iconic parts of Shalumite tourism. Since the restoration of the 1960s, the palace had been a major hub of tourism. The actual sensitive areas, where proper governmental operations were conducted, were far away from the ever present tours and guests that paid quite a sum to stay on the grounds every night.

Standing on the steps of the palace’s annex, Tyler Holland smiled softly to himself, listening as a small gust of wind rustled through the trees and shrubs. This was something he did often. It was nice to revel in the fact that he was the most powerful man in the Empire, that millions of people looked to him. He said a silent prayer for his ancestors, thanking them for the fact that they had laid the foundations for all of this.

“Your Majesty, the Acreans have arrived.” A voice said softly. He had many secretaries, and the speaker was one of them; a pretty young woman in a blouse and skirt that was pleasantly short. As he looked over at her, she simply motioned towards the gates, where a vehicle could be seen rolling through under the watch of several Iron Guardsmen.

“Thank you, Alicia.” He replied with a small smile, handing her the cup of coffee that he had been holding. “Once you ensure the sitting room has been prepared, you are dismissed for the day.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” She bowed gracefully, a color to her cheeks and a smile on her lips. Stepping back, she left Tyler Holland alone as he waited for his esteemed guests to arrive.

Not long after the secretary had left, did another voice ring out. This one masculine and deep, the tones reverberating with every word. “And here I thought you had forgone all the pretty secretaries,” called Nikolai Maximov. He always looked a hard man, tall with deep voice and angular, chiseled features. Always a contrast to his wife, who was such a fragile-looking pretty blonde thing. She was, unfortunately for Allison, nowhere to be found in the country. He wore a well-tailored dusty charcoal suit, naturally with a steel grey vest and maroon tie underneath. In the years they had known each other, Tyler had more than once complained that he perpetually felt underdressed when in the presence of his eastern counterparts.

The bark of laughter that escaped Tyler’s throat seemed especially pointed in the otherwise serene atmosphere of the palace’s exterior. Looking over towards Nikolai, a man the Imperator liked to think of as a good friend, he couldn’t help but smile as he approached. Dressed in a navy blue, Acrean made suit, he looked particularly dapper; the patrician features of House Holland’s patriarch contrasting sharply with the clean cut look of a warrior that he preferred, even though he hadn’t served the military in some twenty years.

“I may be something of a changed man, Mister Maximov, but some things never fully change. And besides, I can look but not touch, no?” As he drew close, Tyler pulled the Acrean man in for a hug, and a solid pat on the back. “It is good to see you, friend. How was your trip?”

“Pleasant enough for traveling across an ocean and a bloody continent to come and see you,” Nikolai chuckled. He felt a presence behind him, perceptive as he was, and stood to the side. “How could I forget? Tyler, you remember Katia, of course?” he said, placing a hand on his eldest daughter’s shoulder. She was, like her mother, a beautiful little thing. She had inherited her father’s dark hair rather than her mother’s blonde, but it suited her better. She was dressed relatively simply- a light dress with a bodice that hugged her figure and a skirt that flared out, and a pair of simple cork wedges that brought her more on even height with the men.

“Oh please, you know you love visiting. I’m great company,” Tyler chuckled as he stepped away. “Allison and the kids are looking forward to seeing you as well, though some will be away until later tonight.” Despite a slight hint of knowing in his eyes, there was nothing off about the Imperator’s tone.

Shifting his attention to Katia, he smiled wider, and offered her a hand, not wanting to put her off by greeting her in the same way that he had with Nikolai. “How could I forgot this young lady? So much like her mother. I remember the first time I held her as a mere baby,” he chuckled. “You’ve gotten bigger since I last saw you, I have to say.” He smiled kindly. It had been several years, that he suddenly realized, because she no longer came up to his chest like in the old days. She was taller now, and definitely much more mature looking.

“A few years will do that to a girl,” Katia replied with a small chuckle and a smile. It hadn’t been a ‘few’, per say. It was several, really, since she had still been at the end of her teenage years last time they had seen each other.

“That they will.” He chuckled as he dropped his hand to his side. She really did look like her mother, perhaps a bit more than he would have cared to admit. “I am sure Matthew would have a hard time recognizing you,” he added jokingly. They’d been all but raised together through the years, and the Imperator assumed they were close, though he only paid so much attention, admittedly. “Would you two care to come in? I’ve sent orders for a sitting room to be ready for us.”

“We’d love to,” Nikolai replied. As he walked in with Tyler, Katia was left behind them a bit to follow in their footsteps, their security trailing a bit behind her. They weren’t really necessary, but over the years they had evolved to be aides as well as security, and so they tended to keep relatively close to their charges.

The Imperator smiled and made a ‘follow me’ kind of motion, before he stepped towards the palace. A pair of Imperial Lifeguards, who had been lingering in the background, stepped forward to open a pair of intricately carved wooden doors for the group. Once they had been ushered inside, into a hall of plush carpet floors and walls covered in exquisite wood paneling, Tyler began leading them down the hall. As they went, the Shalumite Imperator opened his mouth to speak, but a sharp squeal filled the air.

“Emily Rose Holland, get back here this instant!” The voice was strong and powerful, a deep baritone, but weary at the same time.

The child in question didn’t so much as slow, however, grinning like the youngling that she was as she rounded the corner. It all happened as Katia walked by, and the young noble girl was left with nowhere to go but right into the Acrean woman’s legs. Thankfully, she didn’t weigh much, and thus didn’t do much more than thump against Lady Maximova.

Katia gave a quiet ‘oh!’ as the child bumped into her. Thankfully, rather than annoying, she found children adorable, and so she bent down to as close to face level as she could get with the girl.

“Hello there,” she said.

The young girl was a delicate thing with many of the House’s patrician features. Dressed in a flowy rose colored dress, many would have labeled her as ‘adorable’ or simply cute. Her joyous expression had turned from jubilant to surprise and a trifle nervous, however, as she looked up at Katia, taking a small step back as she did so. “Uh...hi.” She replied with a small squeak, flushed red, both from running and sudden sheepishness.

“Ooof, god.” A breathy voice said from a bit further down the hall, casting a shadow over the two. There stood Crown Prince Matthew, dressed in little more than jeans and a faded FC Aragon jersey, looking about as far away from nobility as possible. Despite his apparent athleticism, he looked positively winded. “I’m, ah, awfully sorry, miss.” He added once he finally caught a breath. “She, ahm, got away from me.”

“It’s quite alright,” Katia began, looking up. Once she did though, she paused. She would always know Matthew, not in the least because he was always in the news and tabloids, being the Crown Prince of Shalum, after all. She stood up, brushing some hair out of her face.

Removed from the situation, Tyler couldn’t help but chuckle quietly, leaning in to whisper to Nikolai. “I know what you’re thinking. And the answer is not, she isn’t his.” Though he at least things quiet, there was no doubt about the fact that Matthew had gotten ‘around’ over the last few years. “Just on babysitting duty for a relative of ours. He was going to join us when she got back from her little outing with Allison,” he explained softly, out of earshot.

“She’s quite the handful sometimes, but I love her to death.” Matthew chuckled, leaning down to scoop up little Emily, despite the young girl’s protests and whines. In his arms, she was about eye level with the young woman standing across from them.

There was several moments of silence that followed, as Matthew looked at Katia closely. There was a flicker of something in his eyes. Recognition, but also a great amount of confusion. “Kat...Kat is that you?” He finally asked, slowly, as he looked her up and down with a soft smile.

Katia blushed and bit her lower lip, but nodded. She tried to stifle the stupid smile that threatened to break out on her face, keeping it at a pleasant upturn of her lips. She shrugged, as though to say ‘Yeah, it’s me!’.

“Holy…” The Crown Prince trailed off, glancing at the young girl in his arms, before he continued a bit more carefully. “-cow, you’ve changed a lot.” He chuckled, giving her a silly smile of his own. Reaching up, he wrapped his free arm around her shoulders for a moment in an amused hug. “It's so good to see you again, Kat.”

“Good to see you two,” Katia murmured, wrapping an arm around Matthew’s torso in turn. It was all Nikolai could do to not smile, but he figured they ought to leave the kids to their reunion as he placed a hand on Tyler’s shoulder.

“Shall we?” the man questioned.

Matthew barely seemed to notice their parents (and entourages) depart in the background, between the squirming child in his strong arms, and the woman standing before him. At one time, he’d considered her to be one of his best friends, and their time out of contact hadn’t been intentional by any means. He’d been so caught up in service and governmental work that he’d lost touch with a lot of his old friends, in all truth. “I, ahm, just wow. It's been a while, hasn’t it?” He asked, sounding a bit speechless as he looked at her.

“Um, yeah, it has,” Katia chuckled, looking down at herself. She certainly had matured from the years when she and Matthew still ran around together, turning from a teenaged girl into a clearly mature young woman.

The Crown Prince swallowed, trying to not focus to hard on the fact that she was stunning. Not even in the super model kind of way, it was more like she was the bloody sun in his eyes. It practically hurt to look at her, she was so beautiful. And here he was...dressed for a day in, with a child to look after. “I, well, didn’t know you were going to be in town. I would have cleaned up if I did.” He chuckled, before shifting Emily so that she at least rested on his hip. “How...how have you been?”

“I’ve been good, yeah…” Katia just sort of trailed off. She had her hands clasped behind her back, and she swayed in place for a moment. Small talk had never really been her specialty, and even though she and Matthew hadn’t seen each other in years she found that she was at a loss for words.

“That’s good, that’s good.” Matthew trailed off, pausing for a moment to look at his shoes. Despite having not seen this girl in years, he was somewhat speechless. This wasn’t like in the movies, where characters just got caught up with one another, as if nothing big had transpired during their time apart. Looking down at the young girl in his arms, however, gave him an idea. A small smile gracing his lips, he hoisted her up a little higher. “Aren’t you going to say ‘hi’ to miss Katia?”

Emily peaked at Katia through her short hair, nibbling on her lower lip for a moment, before she finally offered the Acrean woman a small wave. “Hello,” she chirped, voice a near squeak.

“Hey there,” Katia gave a soft smile. She returned the small wave. The usually velvet tones of her voice rose in pitch when she was speaking to the little girl. Katia’d always loved children, and the tiny thing in front of her was no exception.

The crown prince smiled softly as he looked between them. He’d always wanted children. It was a nice thought, at the very least, the component of a happy marriage - something that he was not guaranteed, unlike Katia. “Well then,” he began softly. “Miss Emily and I just got done running around here, and I was thinking that maybe it was snack and tea time. Want to join us?” He asked with a soft chuckle, settling the girl on his hip.

“I would love to,” Katia exclaimed, her eyes flickering between Matthew and Emily. She tilted her head at the small girl, brunette locks bouncing with the movement. “Of course, if Miss Emily would allow me to join you two. What do you think?”

The young girl’s cerulean eyes widened at the suggestion. As much as she enjoyed being around Matthew, he simply wasn’t any fun, and it wasn’t as if any of her other playmates were around. A moment later, she smiled widely and bobbed her head. “That sounds amazing!” She chirped happily. Wiggling out of the crown prince’s, she padded over to Katia and took her hand. “C’mon! I’ll show you where the sitting room is!”
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Acrea
Attaché

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrea » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Royal Beach House
The Duchy of Crestone
The Western Shalumite Coast

One Year Later

Co-written with Shalum

“Need any help setting up the dishes, babe?” Matthew called towards the open patio door, smiling softly as he drifted around the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on their meal for the night. Given the special occasion -and the ring that totally wasn’t tucked away in his pants pocket- he had decided to go all out, not that he ever really skimped when it came to his beautiful girlfriend. Furthermore...he knew that she was a bit shorter, so the plates may or may not have been placed high enough that she often needed his help, lest she went out of her way to fetch a chair for them.

“Yes. I need you to get them!” Katia called back, her voice sounding a tad frustrated. She crossed her arms under her chest, the light breeze causing the skirt of her sundress to dance around her thighs where the hemline ended.

“Be right there!” Matthew called back, resisting the urge to chuckle under his breath. Whether he knew it or not, there was a bit of teasing mischief as he reached up -without even having to use his tiptoes- to fetch plates and bowls for her. The silverware, of course, was in waist level drawers that she would have no trouble with. “Sorry about that,” he smiled as he handed them to her. “Dinner should be done, it's just cooling. Want some help?” He asked, motioning to the drawers of utensils that were in question.

“If you would be so kind,” Katia replied, her frown turning into a small upturn of her lips as she took the plates from him and cradled them in her hands. She didn’t so much as wait for a response, expecting Matthew to do as she had requested as she walked out to the patio.

Matthew couldn’t have asked for a better evening if he tried. The sky was clear, the wind and waves calm as they lapped against the beach, and not a cloud was in the sky as evening quickly fell on them. In about an hour's time, the sun would set over the horizon, making for a wonderful scene. “It is really nice out here,” he said with a small smile as he followed her out. When she set the plates out, he dutifully laid the silverware out as well, along with napkins. “Perfect, really, don’t ya think?”

“Beautiful,” Katia murmured. She glanced back towards the door of the house as she heard a ‘ding’ from inside. The smell of food wafted out into the patio, mingling with the salty smell of the sea, coming up as the waves lapped against the sands.

The table was set as perfect as Matthew could make it. There were tables, cutlery, plates, napkins, and the like laid out. All they needed was the food to be laid out on the side table, and for the wine, of course. “I’m not the best with Acrean food yet, so cut me some slack, babe.” The prince called as he rejoined her in the kitchen, smiling softly as he ran a hand along the small of her back once he caught up with her.

“Regardless, you had best get it before it burns,” she chuckled, looking up at Matthew over her shoulder. Her soft-smile, ever present, graced her lips which shone a pinkish-red under the moon. “Now, go.”

God, I’m the luckiest man on earth to have you in my life. Matthew thought with soft amusement, dipping down to catch her lips in a gentle kiss. He had learned, over the years, to be careful about a woman’s lipstick. “So demanding, but I love you for it.” He teased quietly, giving her an affectionate pat on the rear as he stepped away. Killing the power to the stove, he pulled on an oven mit, pulling out the Acrean style meal before it had the chance to burn; delicious smells flooding the kitchen as he set it down on the stove top.

“Smells great, baby!” Katia called from outside. The clacking of her heels on the tile of the pavers outside could be heard as she appeared in the door that led to the patio, peeking her head into the house.

“I learned from the best,” he winked as he met her gaze from across the room. Of course, it was a reference to no one other than her, as she was the reason he had learned about Acrean food in the first place. Once the food have been given a minute or so to cool, he pulled on his oven mitt again, before ferrying the dish out to the stone table on the patio. He had to duck back inside to fetch the side dishes, as well as the drinks. “If the whole royalty thing doesn’t work out, we could totally be chefs.” He teased as he popped the cork on the bottle of Blackburn wine he had procured, pouring glasses for the both of them.

I could be a chef. All you do is follow instructions,” Katia replied, raising an eyebrow over at her boyfriend as she gave him a knowing smile. She sat at the table across from him. It wasn’t a large table by any means, so at least there was no loss of intimacy.

“Hey, I would make a very good assistant, in that case.” He chuckled, taking a small sip of his wine as the smile remained at the corners of his lips. At another time, he might have lit candles, but he wanted to stay as close as he could to her tonight. “Happy anniversary, babe.” The prince smiled, tilting his glass to her as if he was offering a toast. It was hard to believe it, but they had been together a year now.

“Happy anniversary,” Katia smiled. She sipped her wine, setting it down as she took some food from the dish that rested in the center of the table, steam rising evenly from it and filling the air between them with the scents of the spices. It smelt like home to her.

The dinner was amazing; reminding Matthew of the reason he and Katia had worked so well since their start, rough patches aside. The food was amazing, the company just as good, and they were at one of his most favorite spots since childhood. By the time they finished their meal, the sun was setting, casting an orange hue over the horizon as the moon -and soon the stars- began to paint the sky.

The pair moved to the patio’s railing, where Matthew looped an arm around Katia’s waist. Embrace full of tenderness and affection, he smiled softly as he rested his chin on her shoulder. “Perfect night with the woman of my dreams… I don’t think my life could get any better.” He chuckled softly, setting his glass of wine on the railing as his gaze shifted to his girlfriend.

“Oh, quit flattering me,” Katia replied with a chuckle, glancing up at Matthew. With a tip of her glass, she finished her own wine, and set it aside on a small raised table which also held an unused clean ashtray. She didn’t concern herself with looking up at Matthew; the feeling of him against her back, his chin on her shoulder gave her enough.

“Mmm, but I like it, baby. You’re so cute when you blush and get all flustered.” Matthew teased, nipping at her earlobe for a moment as he cradled her against his chest. He was silent for a few, long moments, before he took a deep breath; sobering a little bit. “Hey, Kitty, can I ask you something?”

“Go ahead,” Katia murmured, nestling herself back against him. She let him support her body, holding her as he always loved to. His body was warm and comforting against her own, giving her the comfort she always received when they were together.

Another moment of quietness, the only sounds being those of the waves rushing against the shore, before Matthew finally spoke; one hand subtly dropping away from her waist. “Katia...you’re the center of my world, my moon and stars. I know we’ve only been together for a year now, but...I know in my heart how special you are. I’d do anything for you, move anywhere for you...give up anything for you. I just...love you so much,” he chuckled quietly as he held her. There was a ruffle of fabric, and a soft click as a rectangular box opened, revealing an expensive ring with diamonds that shone under the moonlight. “Would you make me the happiest man on earth? Marry me, Katia?” He asked with a soft, affectionate smile, his hand subtly shaking as he presented the ring to her.

There was a moment where Katia’s heart beat so fast that it felt as though it stopped cold in her chest. His arms around her body held her in place so that she could do nothing but look ahead, down into the box which shone like a glaring beacon. Her half moment of emotional absence was quick, however, and she gave only a murmur at first.

“Yes,” she said, voice almost in disbelief. “Yes, yes, yes!” Her cries rang out in the absent and silent evening, turning in his arms to face him as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “Of course I will, Matthew.”

The laugh that escaped his lips was an ecstatically happy one as he loosed his grip around her waist so that she had more than enough room to maneuver. Snapping the ring box closed, so that he didn’t drop the sign of affection while he hugged her, he grinned and held her closely. “Oh thank God,” he chuckled under his breath. Dipping his head down, his lips found hers in a long, passionate kiss that was unyielding, but loving at the same time. If she was in his arms, there was nothing that could go wrong. He would protect and love her to the very end. “You’re so...amazing, Kitty.” He smiled breathlessly once he pulled away, keeping the ring clutched in his other hand until she was ready to slip it on.

Katia’s hands quickly found the box and pulled it to her. She wasted no time in carefully extracting the ring from where it rested, slipping it onto her left hand and extending her arm so that she could admire it. It felt… right. The small weight of the stones on her hand were unfamiliar, but not unwelcomed. “It’s beautiful.”

Matthew smiled widely, his eyes full of surprise and happiness. Truth be told...he had been halfway expecting her to not like it, or for it to not fit. He would have accepted it either way, given how little he actually knew about things like women’s jewellry. “I am glad you like it,” he said as he gazed at the ring, and then at her. “I, ahm, my mom offered me one of the family rings. But none of them felt… right, I guess. So I...got with the royal clothing designers, and had that one customly designed. I thought it would be right for you, and only you. You’re...special, after all, my love.”

“I love it, and I love you,” Katia giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck once more and pulling her fiance down to her again. “I should have known. You never pull us down to the beach house in fall unless you’ve got something cooked up in that handsome mind of your’s.”

The prince chuckled softly as he wrapped his arms around the waist of his fiancee, a grin creasing his lips as they drew close to one another. He felt safe here, in her arms. Complete and content. “Love you too, babe,” he murmured. “To be fair, it is our anniversary.” He hoped that it didn’t come across as cliche later. “I was just using it to distract you from the real surprise,” Matthew teased.

“Sure you were,” Katia murmured, leaning against him as he held her, head tucked up against his chest as she gazed down at the ring. It filled her with joy more than anything. Not that she hadn’t been told to expect it; everyone from his sister to even his father had made a comment about the two engaging.

Matthew continued to hold Katia tightly, his arms around her waist in a passionate embrace. His head rested against her shoulder, eyes focused on her hand, where the ring fit well, neither too snug nor too loose. “You would probably laugh if I told you how many hours I had to spend trying to get a loop of string around your finger while you slept. I wanted it to fit properly,” he chuckled; stroking the small of her back gently.

Return to NationStates