NATION

PASSWORD

Royal War College [IC|MT|SIGNUP|OPEN]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The Unified Isles
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Royal War College [IC|MT|SIGNUP|OPEN]

Postby The Unified Isles » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:59 am

Link to OOC

Major Chloe Houghton filled a very important role within the Royal War College: She was the Commandant of the "Introductory Battalion", a unit to which each two months the most recent additions to the Cadet Corps would be assigned. It was the 17th of September, 2016, that again a butch of aproximately 400 new Cadets queued in the Admissions Office. The Office was actually not a permanent establishment, but rather the re-purposed dining hall of the College. The large, alter-like table that would normally seat the Lord Commandant and the senior college staff, to which Major Houghton belonged as well, had been refunctioned: It now seated the other officers of the Introductory Battalion as well as the NCOs, who where quick to fill out the papers handed over to them by the Cadets and assign them to their respective Companies and Sections.

Houghton was only here to glance over the work of her subordinates, and so spent most of her time greeting Cadets that she knew relatives of, or wise-cracking with the Company Commanders. While watching the Cadets being processed though, she noticed a welcome discrepancy: Foreign Cadets. The Royal Army always had been proud of her cooperation with other nations, especially with Vangaziland, and so nobody was surprised to see the darkes skin tone and hear the (to the Isle'ish ears) strange accent that made their Vannish friends themselves. With the other foreign Cadets, the Major remained more skeptical, as she never had the honour of maneuvering with Achesian, Sylvan or Roman Soldiers. After the process of processing was over, all the Cadets seated down (onto the ground, as all the chairs had been removed from the room), and where ready to listen to Houghton's Intro Speech.

"All the Lord's Blessings upon thee, mine Sons. Thee might wonder wherefor the Royal Army requires her Cadets to undergo the most 'Annoying' Process yond is this College, having already been in sixteen a-straining fortnights of training. The answer lies, as per usual in our past: It wast our Glorious and Almighty King and Generalissimos Horatio Mercator, who not only buildeth this mighty nation, but also created this institution, to ensureth yond our Officer Corps shall always remaineth as mighty as possible.

Cadets, me doesn't hath the time yet to hold the fancy speech yond thee might expect. Thee all hath beeth assigned to Sections, and these are in turn assigned to Companies.", she took a step to the side, "All the Company Commandants shall now readeth out the names of all Cadets and Sections assigned to their respective Units."

What followed was an even more annoying and tidious process of each of the seven Introduction Company Commanders stepping forward and reading out lists with each a hundred name on them. It was the 3rd Company commander, a small man, black-haired, blue-eyed man called Captain MacLeod, that some of the foreign Cadets glanced up from boredom.

"...489th Section, composed out of Cadet Lambe, Cadet Kelso, Cadet Suarez, Cadet Appius, Cadet Vita...", [OOC: Obviously, all participants co-incidentally ended up in one section :3] “To be placed in the 2nd Introduction Chasseur Company”.

The Process continued until each Cadets name had been read out, when Major Houghton would take over the speaking again, “Cadets, thee hath four fortnights from now until thy regular classes shall start. Up until then, thee shall be taking preparetory classes et cetera et cetara et cetara.”, one of the Captains laughed slightly, “Thy Company Commanders shall introduce thee to most things in person. Godspeed, Cadets”

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:53 pm

The long lines were agonizing to Katie as she waited to be processed in at the Academy. Coming from Achesian aristocracy she was no used to being looped in with the crowd, but it certainly fulfilled her curiosity to see how the other half lived. The line stretched clear across the giant dining hall, and as she gazed up at the ceiling far above her she sighed, propping her jean clad leg up, shifting her weight between the two after some time standing. At least she looked more comfortable than the other soon to be cadets who wore uniforms of their respective nations and branches, Katie was wearing civilian clothes, a strange way to refer to them but a term she learned through being questioned several times that day as to her wardrobe.

As she approached the top of the line and the receiving desk where officers sorted them into different sections of the hall to wait their fate, she smoothed her hands along her tight pants that formed to her athletic legs and across her buttocks out of nervousness, before finally placing them inside the pockets of her posterior. The officer sitting at the table stared blankly at her until she finally took initiative to speak.

"Uh, Katie Lambe..." She took her hand out of her pocket for long enough to push her long red hair back behind her ear, and then returned her fingers to their tight hiding place.

The officer, a woman who looked her up and down for a moment, obviously cringing at her civilian attire when most wore a uniform, sorted through some papers to find her name in a large stack. "I see a Bailey Katherine Lambe?" A slight annoyance flickered from her tone.

"Yes that’s me." She responded feebly, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Why didn’t you say so cadet? And where is your uniform? Did you not see in the welcome package to come in uniform?" This had to be the hundredth time she had heard this today, but she would have to explain for the hundredth time, and probably a few more hundred times before they got her a uniform.

"I don’t have any, you see... in Achesia they don't let women in the military, or have uniforms..." She did her best not to break apart, holding back a tear of embarrassment as she put her hands back in her pockets.

The officer stared at her blankly for a long moment. She picked up a vanilla folder and handed it to Katie, her name written in black marker across the top. "Just go over there." She pointed to a section of chairs where a few other foreign cadets waited. Katie turned to make all haste to the chairs where she could try and keep to herself, still holding back tears. No one had ever talked to her before like these people did, she was a proper Achesian lady, and was beginning to regret signing up for this... "Cadet!" The officer called to her before she could get too far. "Get your hands out of your pockets!" She yelled. Katie swiftly pulled them from her jean pockets and walked swiftly to her seat. Once there she kept her head down and let a few tears run down her cheek and red strands of hair. She had a few moments while Major Houghton spoke to keep to herself before the Company Commanders called roll. When she finally heard her name she looked up, and took a gander at the other foreign cadets around her, each in a proper looking uniform.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:18 pm

FOREIGN CADET RECEPTION, ROYAL WAR COLLEGE

Indeed, this area did bear a multiplex of colours, from bright white to deep black and shades in between. Sitting together were six cadets, thrown forward to a strange environment but united in the feeling. It would appear they were not alone. They'd been specially brought here from the third year cohort at New Hayesalia's National Military Academy, a university for officer cadets. Each of them had already undergone specific training at their single-service officer academies. From the six, four were graduates of the Union Army College located at the city of Fotuzi, in a province historically known for it's military ferocity. The year-and-a-half course had brought these troops to the level of a qualified 2nd Lieutenant, that being someone who was to undertake job-specific training before being formally placed in command of a platoon. As it stood, these soldiers all held the rank of Officer Cadet, so signified by the white fabric tabs on the end of their epaulettes. Their sandy-brown uniforms and matching berets were a famous symbol of the New Hayesalian Military.

Joining them were officer cadets of two of New Hayesalia's minor services, that being the New Hayesalian Marines and the Royal Montmarian Guard. Easily distinct in the dark khaki tone that was rightfully a mix of Naval and Army colours was Officer Cadet Qadir Tracey, and a member of New Hayesalia's small gendarmerie the Royal Montmarian Guard. Trainee Officer Eric Warwick was especially formally suited for the occasion in the tall leather boots and shining black and red, his white gloves held on his belt matching the white epaulettes appropriate to his rank. These two troops had gone to the Union Naval Academy and the Army College respectively, before receiving specific service training and going to the National Military Academy, where each studied a different degree and major.

The six cadets each had a selection of bags - two duffel bags and a rucksack each, which would probably scrunch their immaculately maintained uniforms as soon as they needed to move in any sort of hurry. For now they awaited the roll call and their placements at the Academy, talking to local and foreign cadets alike.

Sitting on the end was Officer Cadet Lucie Bonher, tan beret under her epaulette as she chatted with her Army mates. It was as a new cadet, one in civilian attire, with flaring red hair and the nervous look of a meerkat poking out of a hole. Clearly, this was outside her comfort zone.

Officer Cadet Bonher reached around, tapping the cadet on the arm and introducing herself. It seemed to be a relief for the so-far friendless cadet, and the short-haired New Hayesalian woman with the ocean-blue eyes would ideally be a much less intimidating look than a 6'4" tank of a local NCO. The two got to talking, with the New Hayesalian introducing herself as being a country girl from New Hayesalia's Nystia region, with experience working on fruit farms and living in small places. This town-like academy would probably feel a lot like home, in that regard.

The two began to get to know each other, chatting about their histories and who they were.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Katie didn’t expect one of the other cadets to come up and interact with her so soon, sticking out as much as she did. It seemed like the way of inclusion around here was to blend in with the crowd, be uniform. She knew she was going to have trouble with that. As the short haired girl with dreamy blue eyes introduced herself as Luice, Katie began to warm up to her a bit, though she still felt frightened that she would not fit into this whole.... situation she found herself in.

"I'm Katie." She sniffed, praying that Luice did not see any of the tears, the fruit farmer looked like a girl not to be trifled with, her clean cut uniform nothing like Katie had ever seen back in Achesia, such an odd sight for her to see a woman in a military role. Katie did her best to describe to Luice her own back story, how she begged her father, the Baron of Plood to become a member of their household guard, how she was fighting to gain honor enough to claim her birthright, and how rare it was for a woman of Achesia to do so. She half thought to herself in this moment, that maybe her father granted her request to attend military academy just to show Katie that she wasn’t up to the task, but she kept that much to herself, she had burdened Luice with much of her story as it was. But she did recollect with her the interesting day she was having, and while she still wore her form fitting civilian clothing.

“Hopefully they get me a uniform soon.” She giggled. “I don’t know if I can take anymore questions about it.” She sniffed as she laughed, she began to feel a little better about the situation.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:16 pm

"It's always a bit like that," Lucie said in response. "Hard to stick out in camouflage." she said, smiling. It was already clear she and the others had served a fair bit of time. In fact, all wore the kelly green and crimson ribbon of the Military Medal, signifying at least four years service in the New Hayesalian Military.

"So you seem to be out with something to prove." she said, smiling. "Let me give you some advice, alright - all these local kids probably know a thing or two but a bunch don't. The training staff know that if you're starting from zero then they'll have to push you harder, but you aren't going for some special forces thing so I think you'll do fine. Just remember to keep in neutral, do things fast, yell loud unless they tell you not to, and don't be afraid to get help. God knows we saw enough boofheads at UAC that refused, they didn't last that long. Just don't let the system beat you and you'll get what you want. Talk to Qadir there - the Royal Montmarian Guard is essentially our vesion of a household guard, they protect the Prime Minister, Queen, everyone who's anyone. And they look fancy doing it, you can tell."
Last edited by New Hayesalia on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Katie kind of sat dumbfounded, did Luice not hear her? Did she not care? Did she not hear her explain why she had to leave Achesia and come here. Just when Katie was feeling like she may in fact fit in she now felt like she was still alone here. She stuttered a moment before responding to the questions again.

"Northern Achesia." She shook her head and lightly tapped her thighs, trying to hide frustration. She sat back in her chair after that though, she didn't feel like talking anymore.

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:19 am

The cadets had piled together by section based on the lists the officers read following the Major's speech. There were dozens of Vangazi mixed throughout the crowd. They wore the different dress uniforms of the different Vannish branches.

One Vangazi, looking for his section recognized a fellow countryman... Well, countrywoman.

Cadet Oliver Kelso was dressed in the Vannish Army's all black class A uniform. It was easy to see why Vannish soldiers had the nickname "Men in Black". The jacket, pants, dress shirt, tie and even the piping on the pants were black. Kelso wore two ribbions on his chest, a National Service Ribbon, for the completion of his conscript service. He also wore an Army Commendation, meaning he must have done something right at one point.

Cadet Jayne Kreggersen wore the purplish-blue uniform of the Vannish Air Force that matched the Vannish flag. She opted for the dress pants over the optional skirt. She also had her National Service Ribbon and an Air Guard Commendation with a bronze oak leaf, signifying a second commendation.

The two sized each other up quickly by their uniforms. Both wore a cadet pin on their collars. They immediately had something in common, with their time as conscripts.

They were of similar age. Together, they represented part of Vangaziland's diversity. His skin was dark, just as was 45% of Vangaziland. Over 40% of Vangaziland was of Scandinavian heritage, like Cadet Kreggersen. Other Vannish cadets would be Hispanic, mostly of Fiertean ethnicity. Others were Asians that migrated to the Empire in the 1800s.

"So Air Force, where are you from?" Kelso's question may have sounded rude to an onlooker. But it was a common practice where Vannish conscripts would refer to others by their branch. Military service is mandatory in Vangaziland and most people end up with friends in different branches.

The somewhat lanky, freckled woman looked up at the Army cadet, who stood a few inches taller. She offered a friendly smile as she replied, "Auster."

"Ah, a river spirit", Kelso said. "I'm a Blue Coaster."

"Ha", Jayne scoffed. "You're one of those people?"

"Don't hate."

Blue Coast was a bit more of a liberal city than Auster. Extreme sports were popular on the coast. Beach culture permeated everything. Auster was Vangaziland's biggest city, in the center of the nation.

"What made you decide to go Royal Army?"

"I read a book", Kelso replied. "You?"

"I want to fly. I was put on the waiting list in Vangaziland. A lot of people want to fly. I have a better chance in the Isles right now. Plus I wanted to travel."

"This is going to be nice having at least one Vangazi in my class. We can talk sports and rap and all that good stuff."

Jayne smirked. "Getting ready for the World Cup? Lefisse should be looking good this year."

The multiverse's biggest sports tournament would be happening in the next few weeks. Vangaziland was not entered, but Vangazi nationals were playing on a foreign team under dual citizenship. Sports was a major part of Vannish culture. It would be shocking to find a Vangazi that does not follow at least a few sports.

"I tell you what's interesting. Do you follow Jessica Franssen? Racing? She's in the middle of a cross country rally series right now."

"That sounds interesting. I really like lacrosse though. I used to play", Jayne replied.

"Nice! I played Defense on my high school team."

The pair made their way, maybe subconsciously near a group of New Hayesalians. They both recognized the uniforms and the accents. The Vangazi were as close with the Hayesalians as they were the Isle'ish. They represented Vangaziland's two strongest allies.

The two Vangazi continued their conversation, but they had their eyes and ears open for anything interesting.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Roma Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:23 pm

A week ago, they didn't know each other, in person that is. Horatius Appius and Saturnina Vita had talked over text messaging and email for the past month, but they had never met in person. Now they were all they knew. Both were in a far away nation, at a military academy to help their careers, and perhaps bring something new to the Imperial Armed Forces. And they were both assigned to the 3rd Company, much to their enjoyment.

With all the people in the mess hall, Appius and Vita were both very hot in their dress uniforms. They certainly weren't the most comfortable, but they did look good, and have tons of history. In modern combat, it's pointless to have metal breastplates, and helmets with bright red plums, so the traditional Roman armor was made the dress uniform. The downfall being it made them easy to spot as Romans.

They stood around, talking after all the names were called. That's what many of the other Cadets were doing. "Horatius, why is it that the Isle'ish speak a weird dialect of English?" Vita asked, in her native Latin.

"I don't know. It's thrown me for a loop. English is bad enough, but their dialect. It'll take some getting used to" replied Appius. "Let's go meet up with our section. We'll be living with them for a while, so we might as well get to know them." Vita nodded, and picked up her belt. The sword --it was a dull metal sword-- was heavy, and sometimes hard to wear. After picking up their duffels off the ground, they made their way over to their Section.
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma
NRI General Information | NRI Military Overview
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | #ValaranSoFab

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Though Katie had opted to keep to herself the rest of the time they were kept in stasis in their holding area, she could not help but notice the uniforms of the two cadets that approached their sections holding area. While she did not have a uniform and most opted for a traditional style uniform, these Roman chest plates and plumes certainly took the cake for standing out the most. A little bit inside her felt less bad she did not have any uniform as she watched them both approach the section area. She stared at the boy and girl as the feathers atop their heads bounced with every step they took.

New Roma Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roma Republic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 am

Appius glanced around the room. He noticed that the section he and Vita were assigned to was largely, if not totally foreign. As he scanned the area, he noticed a young woman staring at him and Vita. Following her eyes, he realized that she was, most likely, starring at his plume signifying his rank of Lt. Centurion. Vita, who still was not commissioned, did not have a plume. Appius nudged Vita's arm. She was off staring at someone else. "Let's go talk to that person in civilian clothes. I think she's impressed with our uniforms." Vita nodded, and they shifted their walk over to the woman. Appius smiled and said "Hi, how are you?"
IC call me NRI, Novus Romanum Imperium, or the New Roman Imperium; OOC call me Roma or New Roma
NRI General Information | NRI Military Overview
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | #ValaranSoFab

Drekka
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Drekka » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Antero sat among the rest of the 489th in the holding area, both passively observing the endless hordes of cadets and losing himself in thought. Years of being subject to hurry-up-and-wait doctrine have prepared him for this. In anticipation of a near eternal state of stasis, he made a mental checklist.

Knees: unlocked
Friends:n/a
Caffeine: moderate/6.5 hours left
Soundtrack: Dankest-Khan Best Tactical Glitchstep
Imagery: MLG Epic Fails Compilation 2015

He had all the tools to drift into the abyss, yet he paused to observe the social interacting a around more in-depth for the sake of knowing how to approach his colleagues. First impressions were everything so he needed to present himself in a relatively appealing manner.

From a quick glance, a few of the cadets caught his attention. Ironically, camouflage sticks out among a crowd of vibrant colors ". The half dozen earthy New Hayesalian uniforms were unmistakeable, like a "cop among clowns". On the other hand, one cadet caught his attention. It was even harder to overlook the touristy looking redhead with the civie clothing, voluptuous civie clothing accenting an attractive form. He took a pause to pay tribute via a discreet horizontal nod while biting his lower lip.

Seeing her also made himself fire self-aware as his subdued semi-formal uniform looked like some designer clothing rather than proper uniform. . His shade blue jacket looked very civilian among bronze armor, bearskin hats, and leather everything. Aside from the mandarin collar, it was rather comfortable, as the silk interior prevented chafe and fitted Kevlar shell components gave it an aggressive stature...as well as minor ballistic protection. Fixing his single ribbon, he tries to present himself as open to conversation.

"I'm in for a long ass ride" he thought to himself.
Last edited by Drekka on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Katie was begining to notice that keeping to herself was not working out. She guessed that happened when you stuck out like a sore thumb, a green blouse and jeans wearing sore tumb. She saw out of the corner of her eye one of the other cadets looking at her, obviously checking her out. She caught a glimpse of him too, quickly looking over to him and back. Her heart raced as she tried to look as if she didnt notice him. But did she accidently slip a smile? She brushed her hair to the side of her face once more, trying to not look back at him.

Drekka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drekka » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:48 pm

"Wait, did she smile at me. She DID." Antero thought, subconsciously cracking a smile. Seeing an opportunity for an interesting conversation with someone, he didn't waste a second in
what to do, as his alternatives were to expend his finite imagination. With the visceral focus of a sexual tyrannosaurus hunting its prey, Antero cut through the crowd to see this woman.

Preparing to strike, Antero positioned himself to be aside Katie.
With a swift move, he moved himself within 5 feet of her, engaging with the ultimate ice breaker

"Hello there, id like to return this lost smile, I believe it's yours" he stated whimsy while pretending to hold a pair of lips in his fingers.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Cadet Jayne Kreggersen smirked to herself. She saw the way the two cadets looked at each other. Well if Jayne wasn't getting any, she wasn't about to let anyone else have any either. Fighting a grin that tugged at her lips, she stepped away from her countryman.

There was an awkward moment of silence as her loud dress shoes clicked on the hard floor. The Air Force Conscript examined the woman. It took bravery to stand here in civilian clothes, amongst all these uniforms... Among all this experience. She would make a hell of an officer some day.

The other Vangazi watched silently a few meters away. He turned and drifted towards the New Hayesalians. He shook their hands and asked, "Gentlemen, do you have any favorite sports teams?" The Vangazi and their sports...

Meanwhile the guy must have seen Jayne coming, because he swooped in like an F-14 pilot.

'Damn', Jayne thought to herself. 'Mission failed.'

Jayne kept walking towards the pair, watching them both closely. A smile tugged at her lips. She looked quite stern, with thick framed black spectacles on top of her nose. She adjusted them curiously.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Drekka wrote:
"Wait, did she smile at me. She DID." Antero thought, subconsciously cracking a smile. Seeing an opportunity for an interesting conversation with someone, he didn't waste a second in
what to do, as his alternatives were to expend his finite imagination. With the visceral focus of a sexual tyrannosaurus hunting its prey, Antero cut through the crowd to see this woman.

Preparing to strike, Antero positioned himself to be aside Katie.
With a swift move, he moved himself within 5 feet of her, engaging with the ultimate ice breaker

"Hello there, id like to return this lost smile, I believe it's yours" he stated whimsy while pretending to hold a pair of lips in his fingers.

Katie had seen him coming, the boy strutting over to her. She guessed her smile wasn't a secret after all if the boy felt the courage to approach her. Running her fingers through her red hair once more, Katie looked him over, and watched him sit down right next to her. Her heart fluttered a momment, it had been a long enough day with allot of adverse social interactions with cadets and cadre alike, as long as there wasnt a joke about her civilian clothes...

But she forgot herself once more as he cracked his joke about the smile, she infact did not loose hers becsuse she smiled brightly again at his quip.

"I bet you say that to all your fellow cadets?" She jested. It was kind of cute in an exotic way. Back home men were always so formal with her, and being of noble blood they were always so dull. She never had a commoner come and talk to her like this before, she tried to relax and play it cool, but the butterflies in her stomach were raging as if they were on fire. Being treated like a delicate flower all her life made it difficult in a place where boys said such strange... And cute things.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Jayne rolled her eyes. Yep. She was too late. Now they were set to sully the halls of the Royal College. And on day one of all days.

The Vannish cadet informally conducted an about face and walked away from the scene. She felt like she had to see the chaplain after watching those two look at each other. So uncivilized.

The Vangazi woman's sharp green eyes glanced around the room, from behind her glasses. People had come from far and wide. Most had the goal to serve with the Royal Army. Some were on exchange programs. Since most people were wearing uniforms, they had some degree of military experience in the group.

She reached back and felt her tightly wrapped chocolate brown bun out of habit. Her mind started to wander. She began to daydream about life as an Isle'ish officer. There were a few units where there was a high number of Vangazi. She wondered what it was like for those on the other side. Vangaziland had a foreign legion that accepted officer candidates. Somewhere a group of foreigners was gathered for day one of officer school in Vangaziland.

From what she heard, it was a tough school. Would this school be tough? She realized she didn't know what to expect. Her thoughts started to bore her.

"Kelso", she shouted out to the other Vangazi who was stuck with the Hayesalians. She waved the Army Cadet over.

The soldier reluctantly left the Hayesalians. "What?" He looked confused.

"What kind of assault rifle does the Royal Army use?"

He chuckled and replied, "I don't know off the top of my head. Check the manual."

"Well don't be rude."

"We we're talking lacrosse."

"The Hayesalians know about lacrosse?" she asked.

"They're a global people." With that Cadet Kelso turned and stepped away from Jayne, who he thought was acting odd. He went back to the Hayesalians. "Boyos!"
Last edited by Vangaziland on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:03 am

"Boyay!" yelled back one of the Army officer cadets, making a charade of a lacrosse stick. "And it's the HK416. Good rifle, but we use the 417's where I'm from." he said, in this portmanteau of a dick measuring contest.

The six cadets were a varied bunch. The one speaking was an academy sporting star, with a stake across the rugby, lacrosse and distance running. Broad shoulders on Officer Cadet Jerome Wallace set him apart, as did his intended job role - a cavalry officer in New Hayesalia's mountain legion. These troops were highly specialist, with a special skill in mountaineering and arctic warfare. The cavalry was a highly qualified and peculiar element of the New Hayesalian Military. They were, in fact, one of the few units to actually transport themselves on horseback and, if needed, fight on it. The hardy Pryor Mountain breed was most perfect for this role, and indeed, as a basically trained horseman OCDT Wallace was distinct by the white and gold hackle pinned behind the Army crest on his tan beret.

Next to him was a cheerful, but reserved Officer Cadet. In the same tan uniform of the Army, Officer Cadet Oliver Houtkooper was a prospective commando infantry officer, a force somewhat like the US Army rangers, a starting point for future special forces service. As an officer, the expertise in tactics and strategy that Houtkooper would need were significant. It was a pretty high hill to climb up, but for a guy that grew up in the big city in Aguilum, the leafy green capital of the Sorakiri province, it was nothing he thought to be impossible. A fan of strategy gaming and of boxing, he knew that violence of action took thought.

In the regal black and red uniform of the Royal Montmarian Guard sat Trainee Officer Erik Warwick, the prospective close personal protection officer. He was actually one of the older cadets, having spent three years watching the nightclubs of Port Eastgate in security, before considering a bodyguarding career as a legitimate one. Naturally, the confident black haired man was strong and overbearing in appearance, but he was man with an extremely strong passion for his nation and province.

In tan again was Officer Cadet Cecil Mac Gilleain, a hopeful pilot of New Hayesalia's attack helicopter squadrons, who was ever eager to get into the rotorcraft flight school in his home region of Ciaqom, in the nation's Capital Province. The OH-38 Vanguard helicopter was already one he knew back to front, indeed, he'd brought with him a simulator setup for his room's computer with NHAF Morris already loaded up. Whether he'd have much of a chance to use it was up for debate at this busy academy.

Officer Cadet Qadir Tracey was a different case in his high-necked and dark brown tunic, a mix of style and colour between the NH Navy and Army. Like his Army colleagues looking to become officers and gentlemen of the infantry corps, so did Tracey. The difference of course was the NH Marine's dedication to amphibious warfare, one in action right now under Vannish command. With a history in the surf and a mixed interest of the naval and the army, Tracey was in his element as a Marine and would likely be a good commander of a platoon of New Hayesalia's shock troops.

Finally was Officer Cadet Lucie Bonher, the brunette officer candidate for the artillery. With a history on the farm and a love of big ol' explosions, her interest in the artillery was met by the respect her male companions had for her high levels of performance - even holding the Union Army Academy marathon record.

The six cadets awaited further instructions, even as they milled amongst the foreigners.

Drekka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drekka » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Achesia wrote:
Achesia wrote:
Katie had seen him coming, the boy strutting over to her. She guessed her smile wasn't a secret after all if the boy felt the courage to approach her. Running her fingers through her red hair once more, Katie looked him over, and watched him sit down right next to her. Her heart fluttered a momment, it had been a long enough day with allot of adverse social interactions with cadets and cadre alike, as long as there wasnt a joke about her civilian clothes...

But she forgot herself once more as he cracked his joke about the smile, she infact did not loose hers becsuse she smiled brightly again at his quip.

"I bet you say that to all your fellow cadets?" She jested. It was kind of cute in an exotic way. Back home men were always so formal with her, and being of noble blood they were always so dull. She never had a commoner come and talk to her like this before, she tried to relax and play it cool, but the butterflies in her stomach were raging as if they were on fire. Being treated like a delicate flower all her life made it difficult in a place where boys said such strange... And cute things.

"Only the ones that misplace the smiles...or catch my eye. May I have my eye back, by the way?" Antero replied cheekily, as he pretends to cup his right eye in discomfort. As he waited for a response, he reflected on his delinquency. It was almost surreal to be in the situation he was in, especially one that his father would either be in disbelief at best and disappointed at worst that "the prodigal strategist from the FSN-C is arguably flirting with the obligatory outcast, whom is almost 10 years younger than himself", not that he looked that much older. He already noticed that he was being ostracized by his relatively utilitarian uniform and unconventional demeanor. It didn't matter to him anymore, as no one seemed to be enjoying themselves in the purgatory as the ostrich and lamb.

"Almost forgot, I'm Ladek. Kindly ignore my name tape here."
Last edited by Drekka on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:53 pm

"Oh okay, the 416. That's what the Vannish Army uses", Kelso replied. "I was in a conscript unit, so I used the M4 in my time."

The Army cadet dressed in all black turned to Cadet Kreggersen, making sure she was out of earshot.

"Cadet Kreggersen had an M-16", Kelso snickered as he thought about the Air Force conscript lugging one around.

Jayne heard it all. She had been snooping after all. The Hayesalians seemed interesting to her.

"I heard that", she said, almost shouting. "Nothing is wrong with my old rifle. It was an M16A4, thank you very much. And I could shoot it better than you."

Ollie Kelso chuckled. These two had been joking around like this since they first met. Sometimes he thought Jayne took it seriously, but wrote it off as dry humor. Even now she huffed and turned to face away from the group, tapping her foot.

Kelso is such a smart alec, Jayne thought to herself.

Meanwhile the Army Cadet continued talking with the Hayesalians. "You guys must get so much more stopping power with the 7.62. Our designated Marksmen use the HK417, I think. I wish Vangaziland would step up to the 417."

Ollie was excited to check out his new rifle and other assorted gear. Joining the Royal Army had become his dream. He was on the verge of making it a reality.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Drekka wrote:
Achesia wrote:

"Only the ones that misplace the smiles...or catch my eye. May I have my eye back, by the way?" Antero replied cheekily, as he pretends to cup his right eye in discomfort. As he waited for a response, he reflected on his delinquency. It was almost surreal to be in the situation he was in, especially one that his father would either be in disbelief at best and disappointed at worst that "the prodigal strategist from the FSN-C is arguably flirting with the obligatory outcast, whom is almost 10 years younger than himself", not that he looked that much older. He already noticed that he was being ostracized by his relatively utilitarian uniform and unconventional demeanor. It didn't matter to him anymore, as no one seemed to be enjoying themselves in the purgatory as the ostrich and lamb.

"Almost forgot, I'm Ladek. Kindly ignore my name tape here."[/spoiler]

"I'm Katie, she smiled as she let out the rare laugh from a day she did not expect to have any moment worth spending that emotion. She didn't realize he was so much older, maybe by a few years of course, but he certainly looked good. She dared a smiled and sat up in her chair, turning her body towards him, adjusting her green shirt slightly. "So where are you from?" She rested her head on her hand which was propped up on the back of the chair.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 pm

"The 5.56 is good, you know. But everyone and their dog had body armour these days, so if you need a round that's standard issue and effective, nothing better than a 7.62. Heavy hitting, just really fucking heavy." Wallace replied to the Vannish cadet, with a smile.

"Actually, adding to that, our DMR is actually the HK417 as well. It's more to do with the fact of it being a long rifle, rather than the Rippers we usually use. But, most infantry troops have a weapons section travel with them, and they've got a .308 sharpshooter along with them for the ride which is a pretty good way to reach out and touch someone."

"Still, I'm keen to deal with these in a couple of weeks. Apparently handguns get covered, too, so that'll be an interesting one I reckon. I'm just keen to get some cam paint on my face again and get into the brush."

The Unified Isles
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Isles » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Captain MacLeod had not been working for the Royal War College for long, barely a year. The Company that was now dispersed around the dining hall was to be his sixth. He took note that there were few things notable about this group. Well, on thing, his company had been assigned of non-Isle'ish Cadets. While MacLeod was had been aware of the existence of foreigners on the College ever since he had been a Cadet here himself, the only non-Isle'ish Queen's Men (A slang word for the Isle'ish Soldiers) had been a few Vannish Artillerists. MacLeod guessed that the Major wanted to provide him with at least a minor challenge before he'd leave the Royal War College again in two months, hopefully forever. The College only had been an unwelcome hurdle in his path for one year now. The Royal Army required every Officer between the ranks of Colonel and Captain to attend at least on "Staff Position" before being promoted again, an antiquated idea dating back to whom Houghton so romantically called "Our Almighty".

Then again, the Captain could understand the reasoning of his superior. The Houghton's were a part of the Royal Army's internal aristocracy, last names you would frequently encounter over and over again, families that were so intertwined with the Royal Army's destiny that they had effectively taken over most of the functions of the Directory in their nepotism. The Major's dynasty specifically belonged to the so-called "Young Guard", the descendants of officers that had made their name after the fateful Winter Rebellion of 1936 and 1937. Her Grandfather had started out as a minor NCO in some Engineer Regiment, working his way up to eventually become a Sub-Director in the Royal Staff in the Sixties.

Thomas Horatio MacLeod on the other hand was a "Homo Novus". A somebody reaching the rank of Captain or above without having a name one would generally recognize. Joined the Royal Army after two Semesters of a (yet unfinished) visit to the Queen's School of Jurisprudence, underwent the standard training schedule for officers and eventually became an Officer in the 17th Highland Horse Artillery, in which he served for ten wonderful years before being sent to the terrible place that was the Isle of York for him.

Foreign Cadets in many ways had held an advantage over their Isle'ish brethren. They didn't had to think much about their status within the convoluted mess that was Her Majesty's Corps of Officers. They would probably return to their own Military in a few years, a military that was under every circumstance less defined by Nepotism than the Royal Army.

“Moveth the Coyes out, ift be truee thee may do so”, requested the Major suddenly from MacLeod's side. He hated that feeling when you were thinking about somebody and he appeared in just that moment. It made himself feel as if he had been caught thinking of something forbidden.

“2nd Chasseurs !”, cried out the black-haired Officer. “ORDER !”

Immediately one-hundred cadets snapped to attention, some fast, some slow, but all in a well-off manner. The Isle'ish Cadets had been in one of the “Training Regiments” beforehand, where ceremonial drill also belonged to the subjects. Compared to many other Armies, the Isle'ish didn't expect perfect movements but rather “Flashiness as a unit”, or essentially that the entirety of a drill was carried out mediocrely. Even the foreign Cadets seemed to be capable of acquainting themselves with the situation rather well, their section falling into acceptable Order after observing the others doing it. 486th to 494th Section were now standing in a long row throughout the room, with Captain MacLeod at the head of the formation.

“MOVE !”

The Company moved out in a relatively slow speed, but at least the Cadets managed to all get their foots on ground at around the same time. This reminded MacLeod about another thing he disliked about this college: It's lack of an identity. Every single Regiment, Squadron and Ship in the Royal Army had a recognizable identity, shown through a variety of symbols like for example marching songs. While all Marching Songs in the Royal Army followed a the same pattern of about two-hundred melodies, most units had written unique lyrics to them in their decades of history. The College didn't had anything of that. Cadets were moved away after at most four years, and so the thirty minute walk it was from the main dinning hall, through and across the various galleries, cloisters and field track of the College to their final destination, the Camp Grounds, was utterly silent. It was here that the new 2nd Chasseurs were received by a group of NCOs that handed out a basic kit for each and every Cadet: A Field Uniform composed out of a cameo fatigue, boats, backpack and field cap, an Academy Uniform out of white waistcoat, a blue jacket and white breeches, and of course the identifying black bicorne of the Chasseur Companies, which was to be worn with one end pointing forwards and one end pointing backwards.

While the issuing took place, MacLeod himself stood on a box and in a loud voice explained to the Cadets the working of the Introduction Companies:

“Greetings Cadets, me is Sir Thomas MacLeod of the 17th Highland Horse Artillery and shall be thy Commandant for the next two months at least... Anyway, thee shall be initially living on this... ground. Stuff to erect Tents is lying over there”, he gestured towards an area with a lot of materials lying plainly on the otherwise empty plain, with the College being seen on a hill somewhat in the distance. “Thy day from now on shall start with sports and field trainings every day at around five or so, the Sergeants shall inspect this. Thee needs to prepare for thy first Field Exercise, to be held in four fortnights from now, thee know... Anyway, thee shall also be having some more academic 'Exercises'”, he shortly stopped to laugh at his own joke,”after midday. Me shall follow thy exploits each and every day. Have fun.”

[OOC: Fun time camping kids :3]

Drekka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drekka » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Surprised, Antero slowly descended into a seat beside Katie to keep the current vibe alive. Being asked where he was from was always a difficult question to answer for him. Based on his last conversation with his father, things were changing and certain details had to be kept confidential, even if he didn't believe everything. Even the status quo wasn't a great conversation starter to foreigners, being from a nation that was either unheard of or considered a "uncultured WA warhound". With minor reluctance, he prepared to tell her like how one may tell someone that they have cold sores.

"I'm from northeast FSN-C. I'm not sure if you've heard of-"

2nd Chasseurs , MOVE!

Like a good cadet, Antero rose with a snappiness equal to an abused marionette. Realizing that there wasn't much time to talk, he closed the conversation. That didn't stop him from silently cursing the captain for bombing the chat.

"It was nice meeting you, Katie. Would you like to talk to you later?" He quickly asked, transitioning to eternal-wait mode while peripherally staring at the captain.

Katie was starttled by the Captains sudden order. She had minimal military background compared to the other cadets there at the college, so the spring to action at the snap commands had not become second nature to her yet. But the boy she had been speaking to's words still lingered with her, and she tried to respond to him before he got out of ear shot. "Yeah I'd like to talk again too." She smiled.
Last edited by Drekka on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Both of the Vannish cadets have spent some time in the field. Army Cadet Kelso was more familiar with the woods than his Air Force counterpart. But every conscript had to complete at least one 30 day field exercise during their 18 months of service. It sounded like they were going to be out here for some time.

Kelso waited for the officer to finish speaking and move on before he headed back over towards Kreggersen. "Let's help each other with our tents, teamwork is big."

Kreggersen nodded. The two Vannish soldiers had changed into their Royal Army issued uniform soon after it was issued. The group looked like a team in their new Isle'ish uniforms. Now they had to work to get the camp set up.

"Could they have picked a more complicated tent?" Kreggersen asked the question as she grabbed one of the tall stakes and held it. Kelso did the same and began lashing them together. Another cadet joined them, helping with some other materials. A different cadet had the instruction manual and was shouting out each part step by step.

Tents were being lined up in rows, hoping to set up a neat appearance. The distance between each tent was equidistant and done according to the manual. One of the cadets who knew his pace count was in charge of measuring the distance between each tent, walking and counting his steps to measure meters.

Kreggersen noticed the woman who had previously been in civilian clothes. Now she was dressed in the same uniform that Jayne wore. The Vangazi woman offered a genuine smile. "The uniform suits you. Say, if we have to share tents, do you want to be my battle buddy? My name is Kreggersen."

She went to shake the woman's hand whose name she overheard was Katie. There were only so many female cadets around. Besides she could keep an eye on her and keep that aggressive man at bay. Jayne also had a little bit of military experience she could probably share with the woman who was just hours ago wearing civilian clothes.

The little tent city was starting to come together. The camp was a buzz of activity.

Drekka
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drekka » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:32 pm

The monstrosity of a tent, combined with that relatively stiff uniform was a test of will for Antero, unaccustomed to the ancient equipment. It was nothing like home, where things were designed to be done by machine if it wasn't quick not convenient. Having spent a good half hour lost, he observed his peers' varying levels of success.

"I swear whoever designed these things haven't fought a war in over a century." , he thought, pondering at the shambled heap of a tent, with a gloved hand over his grimace.

Taking a minute to come up with a way to make the tent happen, Antero remembered that tacticool paracord bracelet he wore around his ankle. Pretending to reblouse his boot, he tugged on a plastic clip, removing the cord. As he tied one end of the cord to the tent's tip, he looked towards the sky, scoping out the heftiest branch on a rather humble tree to throw the other end of the cord over.

Fling

Tying the paracord down, the tent actually looks half decent now, only needing stake adjustment.
A few minutes offing stakes produced a perfectly erect tent stood tall besides the tree of convenience, concluded with Antero messily shoving the cord in his boot.

"Had anyone seen me with that paracord, I'd probably be tried for witchcraft"
He thought, admiring his handiwork. Completed with his task, Antero moved on to see who needed help, gravitating towards the half dozen horde.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates