NATION

PASSWORD

The League of Mechanocracies 3.0 [Signups|OOC|Open]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Blakullar wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Sudden question:

What kind of RPing are you more oriented towards; character or nation RPing?

Character, but only because I've much more experience under my belt. I can do nation-RPing, but I haven't done much of it at all recently.

ftfy comrade
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Blakullar wrote:

Character, but only because I've much more experience under my belt. I can do nation-RPing, but I haven't done much of it at all recently.

I'm not entirely sure what "nation RPing" would entail, since I usually focus on clips of various characters, many of which don't appear more than once, in order to demonstrate the events happening at the "ground level."
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Blakullar wrote:Character, but only because I've much more experience under my belt. I can do nation-RPing, but I haven't done much of it at all recently.

I'm not entirely sure what "nation RPing" would entail, since I usually focus on clips of various characters, many of which don't appear more than once, in order to demonstrate the events happening at the "ground level."

That's kinda the point of nation RPing: using disposable characters to portray the morality and activities by your nation/political entity. This also entails those army vs army RPs.

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Blakullar wrote:Character, but only because I've much more experience under my belt. I can do nation-RPing, but I haven't done much of it at all recently.

Where character RPing focuses upon a small cadre of well-developed characters and their experiences, nation RPing takes place on a far larger scale with (as Gig said) more-expendable characters to carry things out. Most region RPs are nation RPs, and of course there's the public (usually MT) diplomatic/military RPs you find on the likes of International Incidents.

Nation RPing is also (usually) much more competitive.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:15 pm

I prefer nation, mostly because I've never been good at character-based.
Blakullar wrote:
Ashkera wrote:I'm not entirely sure what "nation RPing" would entail, since I usually focus on clips of various characters, many of which don't appear more than once, in order to demonstrate the events happening at the "ground level."

Where character RPing focuses upon a small cadre of well-developed characters and their experiences, nation RPing takes place on a far larger scale with (as Gig said) more-expendable characters to carry things out. Most region RPs are nation RPs, and of course there's the public (usually MT) diplomatic/military RPs you find on the likes of International Incidents.

Course it's more competitive!
I have found a couple of FT nation ones, in P2TM, along one long running series, plus the OMG2 regional stuff.
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Blakullar wrote:
Ashkera wrote:I'm not entirely sure what "nation RPing" would entail, since I usually focus on clips of various characters, many of which don't appear more than once, in order to demonstrate the events happening at the "ground level."

Not necessary; but very impersonal they definitely are.

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Character, undoubtedly. Nation RPing always struck me as rather dry.
Liked my factbook before? Well, then check out just how much better the new one is.

Proud member of Novaluna One, and proud partner-in-crime with Vistora

Haja-Mishu wrote:“She’s a real life sex wizard”

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Blakullar wrote:Where character RPing focuses upon a small cadre of well-developed characters and their experiences, nation RPing takes place on a far larger scale with (as Gig said) more-expendable characters to carry things out. Most region RPs are nation RPs, and of course there's the public (usually MT) diplomatic/military RPs you find on the likes of International Incidents.

Not necessary; but very impersonal they definitely are.

For a lot of people they are. I believe that comes out in the name of 'International Incidents'
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Not necessary; but very impersonal they definitely are.

For a lot of people they are. I believe that comes out in the name of 'International Incidents'

This is why RPing isn't restricted to II. :?

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:

I suppose it depends on the nation RP in question. Of course most II nation RPs will be bland, but that's only because nearly all of the participants are new to the RPing scene in general, so logically the quality will be rather low. I find a good nation RP will adopt elements of character-RPing as well: for instance, diplomats will be writing those messages of condemnation, and generals will be issuing orders to troops fighting in a war RP.

A long time ago, when Blakullar was still Blakullar, I was intimately involved in a regional RP that did just that. Let me tell you now, it was a blast - even though I wasn't very good at it at the time.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:

Huh. My issue with character RPing is that most of them don't seem likely to hold my interest, and making it far ranging enough for all sorts of plot twists stretches the boundaries of plausibility.

Makes me wonder what people would think of my most recent RP. It's hard for me to judge my own writing's quality.
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Blakullar wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:

I suppose it depends on the nation RP in question. Of course most II nation RPs will be bland, but that's only because nearly all of the participants are new to the RPing scene in general, so logically the quality will be rather low. I find a good nation RP will adopt elements of character-RPing as well: for instance, diplomats will be writing those messages of condemnation, and generals will be issuing orders to troops fighting in a war RP.

A long time ago, when Blakullar was still Blakullar, I was intimately involved in a regional RP that did just that. Let me tell you now, it was a blast - even though I wasn't very good at it at the time.

Lesson learned today: character-RPing = cream, nation-RPing = not even necessarily the crop
Ashkera wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:

Huh. My issue with character RPing is that most of them don't seem likely to hold my interest, and making it far ranging enough for all sorts of plot twists stretches the boundaries of plausibility.

Makes me wonder what people would think of my most recent RP. It's hard for me to judge my own writing's quality.

To be frank, while nothing can be done about the first half of your first sentence, there sometimes doesn't have to be any major plot twist at all in character-oriented RPing - as far as I'm concerned.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Blakullar wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:

I prefer that version of nation. Pure nation is extremely boring.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:51 pm

btw Blak, I just rep'ed to the wiki's new thread

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Oh yeah, also, I finished my (almost) all-in-one national factbook!

As in, barring minor edits and additions--which I will have to be very parsimonious about due to the fact that I have only some 50 characters plus spaces of room left--my factbook is done! :lol: :lol:
Liked my factbook before? Well, then check out just how much better the new one is.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:Oh yeah, also, I finished my (almost) all-in-one national factbook!

As in, barring minor edits and additions--which I will have to be very parsimonious about due to the fact that I have only some 50 characters plus spaces of room left--my factbook is done! :lol: :lol:

You figured out the character limit?

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:Oh yeah, also, I finished my (almost) all-in-one national factbook!

You figured out the character limit?

Yes. 90,809 characters, spaces included.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:You figured out the character limit?

Mind putting that in the factbook thread where you initially asked?

Neonymphonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neonymphonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Maljaratas wrote:
Neonymphonia wrote:

Mind putting that in the factbook thread where you initially asked?

Okay, good idea.

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Neonymphonia wrote:
Maljaratas wrote:Mind putting that in the factbook thread where you initially asked?

Okay, good idea.

Oh and your factbook looks quite amazing. If only I had the time to read it... :(

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:52 pm

All of my recent RPs have been nation-based, but I'm planning to develop at least one of my characters in the near future.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:57 pm

The Great Devourer of All wrote:

All of my recent RPs have been nation-based, but I'm planning to develop at least one of my characters in the near future.

Grand Admiral Tross by chance?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Maljaratas wrote:

Grand Admiral Tross by chance?

He'd tell you that it's Overseer Tross now.

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Maljaratas wrote:Grand Admiral Tross by chance?

Overseer doesn't sound as cool :p

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Maljaratas wrote:

Overseer doesn't sound as cool :p

'Cool' doesn't matter when you're obliterating the Domination's frontline defenses like a badass.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates