NATION

PASSWORD

TWI WWII Organization Thread (TWI Only | OOC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Which side were you on in WWII?

Axis
19%
Allies
43%
Unaligned/Neutral
27%
Independent
No votes
Did Not Yet Exist as a Nation
3%
Other (Explain in comments)
8%

Total votes : 37

Atnaia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

TWI WWII Organization Thread (TWI Only | OOC)

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:36 am

So, as Secretary of the Interior, I'd like to organize a more interactive history for the Western Isles, giving us more jumping off points for tighter historical ties in our factbooks. This thread can be used to get everyone on the same page as to what was going on during WWII. Threads for WWI and the Cold War will follow.

This isn't mandatory, it will just be an interesting dispatch I'll make so that we can have some historical events that people can add to their factbooks if they so wish, beyond just two or three people interacting. The poll will let us organize sides. If individuals want to, they can leap off to RP battles and whatnot.

As far as I see it, we were likely our own theater of WWII, a sort of branch off of the Pacific Theater due to our proximity to it. That could go a long way to explaining why we didn't really have palpable effects on the other theaters of the war: we were too tied up in our own drama at the time.

So, let's get started in some discussions and planning. I'll make up a dispatch that will have a basic list of events and players in the war as we go.
- Globalist - Humanist - Rationalist - Utilitarian - Centrist -
"Progress makes perfect." - Hegemon Thomas Wessich

Overview Factbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WESTERN ISLES
No NS Stats, No Problem

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:39 am

As of right now in my history I am on the Allied side, but with a fair amount of Axis sympathies in my then-aristocracy. I am willing to rewrite my history to be Axis if we need some extra "bad guys" for the war.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:41 am

Did not exist yet. Want to see the response of other nations as well.
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

Athara Magarat wrote:Did not exist yet. Want to see the response of other nations as well.

In WWII? According to our discussions, you gained independence in 1915, well before WWII. You existed...

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Norstham
Envoy

Founded: Aug 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstham » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:49 am

Norstham was tasked primarily with guarding its extensive gas and oil reserves, to supply the other allies. Also participated in many other operations, offensive and defensive. Cities on the central plateau suffered heavy losses from axis bombing.
Member of The Western Isles
Steve Smith is a very bad man.
Norstham

Stordavia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Stordavia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 am

I wouldn't call the USSR part of the Allies, so I chose unaligned since The SRCA was in the Comintern until the Second Civil war broke out.

I'll get to that later though.
Stordavia Broadcasting Network

Treskovia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Treskovia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 am

Before the war, Germany, a province of mine, made itself independent and started WWI. After it lost, it was brought back into the fold of the then Empire of Treskovia. When Adolf Hitler became the new governor of Germany in 1933, he also announced Germany intependent, invaded Poland, then the Treskovian province of Austria, and that's how WWII started for Treskovia.
National Anthem

Tier 8, Level 0, 1 or 3(depends on species), Type 7 civilization acording to this.

Songs to associate with me:
Anthem of the Xenophile Association, a group of people who love aliens
Anthem of the Patriot's League

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 am

Treskovia wrote:Before the war, Germany, a province of mine, made itself independent and started WWI. After it lost, it was brought back into the fold of the then Empire of Treskovia. When Adolf Hitler became the new governor of Germany in 1933, he also announced Germany intependent, invaded Poland, then the Treskovian province of Austria, and that's how WWII started for Treskovia.

The Western Isles (TWI) Only. This is for regional organization of history.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:56 am

Stordavia wrote:I wouldn't call the USSR part of the Allies, so I chose unaligned since The SRCA was in the Comintern until the Second Civil war broke out.

I'll get to that later though.

I can add the Comintern as a faction. Sort of didn't think of them as a separate thing...

Norstham wrote:Norstham was tasked primarily with guarding its extensive gas and oil reserves, to supply the other allies. Also participated in many other operations, offensive and defensive. Cities on the central plateau suffered heavy losses from axis bombing.

Interesting. Some ideas are percolating if I need to switch to Axis.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:13 am

So I'm going to go Axis. I would have been loosely on the Allies side for the start of the war, but I'm going to rewrite my history so that the mid-war coup d'etat that led to the death of the Prince and installed his Axis-leaning son on the throne was successful, and that it wasn't until the end of the war that his older brother managed to come back from exile and retake the throne.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Norstham
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstham » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 am

Atnaia wrote:So I'm going to go Axis. I would have been loosely on the Allies side for the start of the war, but I'm going to rewrite my history so that the mid-war coup d'etat that led to the death of the Prince and installed his Axis-leaning son on the throne was successful, and that it wasn't until the end of the war that his older brother managed to come back from exile and retake the throne.

I'll read some dispatches on TWI history so I can write a better history.
Last edited by Norstham on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norstham

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 am

Norstham wrote:
Atnaia wrote:So I'm going to go Axis. I would have been loosely on the Allies side for the start of the war, but I'm going to rewrite my history so that the mid-war coup d'etat that led to the death of the Prince and installed his Axis-leaning son on the throne was successful, and that it wasn't until the end of the war that his older brother managed to come back from exile and retake the throne.

I'll read some dispatches on TWI so I can write a better history.

If you were being bombed by the Axis, perhaps my nation was the bombers. Between 1940 and 1945, we were allied with the Axis powers.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Upper Norseland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Norseland » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 am

The Kingdom was officially neutral for the first world war, though there was a great deal of sympathy for the German Empire, and several Jarls agreed to provide Norse mercenaries, especially in North and East Africa. In the interwar years, the Kingdom was vehemently oppossed to the USSR, and began to develop close ties with the Empire Of Japan. By 1930, the Kingdom had begun to provide mercenaries in large numbers, and under Royal subsidy, to the Japanese occupations of Korea, and Manchuria. By the outbreak of the Second World War, the Kingdom had officially aligned itself with the Japanese Empire, though a major point of their alliance was the "Honorable Way," a clause which encouraged the Japanese to combat the only other real Naval power, the United States, on their own, leaving occupation and inland expansion in China and southeast Asia to the Norse. With the election of His Royal Majest Thyrvald IX in 1941, the Kingdom began gradually to distance itself from the Empire, as revolts and the onslaught of America made thr Japanese and Norse hold on Asia more and more tenuous. With less Norse reinforcements arriving every month, and dwindling material support, the Japanese became resentful and distrusting of the Norse, driving them even further away. By 1943, the Kingdom had signed a seperate peace treaty with the Allied Powers and had begun removing its troops.

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:26 am

Upper Norseland wrote:The Kingdom was officially neutral for the first world war, though there was a great deal of sympathy for the German Empire, and several Jarls agreed to provide Norse mercenaries, especially in North and East Africa. In the interwar years, the Kingdom was vehemently oppossed to the USSR, and began to develop close ties with the Empire Of Japan. By 1930, the Kingdom had begun to provide mercenaries in large numbers, and under Royal subsidy, to the Japanese occupations of Korea, and Manchuria. By the outbreak of the Second World War, the Kingdom had officially aligned itself with the Japanese Empire, though a major point of their alliance was the "Honorable Way," a clause which encouraged the Japanese to combat the only other real Naval power, the United States, on their own, leaving occupation and inland expansion in China and southeast Asia to the Norse. With the election of His Royal Majest Thyrvald IX in 1941, the Kingdom began gradually to distance itself from the Empire, as revolts and the onslaught of America made thr Japanese and Norse hold on Asia more and more tenuous. With less Norse reinforcements arriving every month, and dwindling material support, the Japanese became resentful and distrusting of the Norse, driving them even further away. By 1943, the Kingdom had signed a seperate peace treaty with the Allied Powers and had begun removing its troops.

I'd avoid mentioning any real world nations as your holdings during any point of your history. It's counter to the way we operate since it heavily redesigns real world history. You could rewrite it to say that your deal with Japan said that Japan would stay out of TWI and leave it to you, which would make more sense and tie you closer to the region i terms of history.

Also, since you are an Axis power it means you and I were allied during WWII, which would lead to the cooling off of hostilities after my invasion of you (which you still haven't sent me specific details for, BTW :P).

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:33 am

Atnaia wrote:
Athara Magarat wrote:Did not exist yet. Want to see the response of other nations as well.

In WWII? According to our discussions, you gained independence in 1915, well before WWII. You existed...

Yeah! This idiotic brain of mine forgot that.

AM was officially neutral but suuplied troops to Great Britain.
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Upper Norseland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Norseland » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 am

Atnaia wrote:I'd avoid mentioning any real world nations as your holdings during any point of your history. It's counter to the way we operate since it heavily redesigns real world history. You could rewrite it to say that your deal with Japan said that Japan would stay out of TWI and leave it to you, which would make more sense and tie you closer to the region i terms of history.

Also, since you are an Axis power it means you and I were allied during WWII, which would lead to the cooling off of hostilities after my invasion of you (which you still haven't sent me specific details for, BTW :P).

Certainly. I'll shoot you those details soonish, and it's not so much that those territories were my holdings, more like the Norsemen were subordinate units to the Japanese.

Norstham
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstham » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:39 am

In 1939, at the dawn of war, at least 50% of the allies gas and oil was coming from Norstham, but Norstham was reluctant to declare war because the cities on the plateau would get decimated and because we feared our long term economic future if the oil fields were occupied. But then, in mid 1940, a battleship on patrol around the oil fields was attacked and badly damaged by an axis fighter-bomber, and Norstham declared war on the axis after a diplomatic solution could not be found.
Norstham

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 am

Norstham wrote:In 1939, at the dawn of war, at least 50% of the allies gas and oil was coming from Norstham, but Norstham was reluctant to declare war because the cities on the plateau would get decimated and because we feared our long term economic future if the oil fields were occupied. But then, in mid 1940, a battleship on patrol around the oil fields was attacked and badly damaged by an axis fighter-bomber, and Norstham declared war on the axis after a diplomatic solution could not be found.

That's...too much of the Allies gas and oil. It's well beyond reasonable for you to be able to provide that much to some of the largest war machines of the era. You can certainly be a significant provider, but I would avoid exact figures, especially ones that big, since that, once again, drastically affects real life history. Alternatively, you could say that you were a massive exporter to LOCAL Allied nations, those within the region, at which point a number closer to 50% (but still not quite there) would make more sense.

Remember, Britain controlled Iranian oil fields at the time, and much of the Middle East and Africa were colonial territories producing oil for many nations at the time.

Upper Norseland wrote:
Atnaia wrote:I'd avoid mentioning any real world nations as your holdings during any point of your history. It's counter to the way we operate since it heavily redesigns real world history. You could rewrite it to say that your deal with Japan said that Japan would stay out of TWI and leave it to you, which would make more sense and tie you closer to the region i terms of history.

Certainly. I'll shoot you those details soonish, and it's not so much that those territories were my holdings, more like the Norsemen were subordinate units to the Japanese.

It's still a detail I'd avoid, just because it would significantly alter real world history, although it's not something I'm going to outright say "no" to as SoI. It's up to you, but a general rule of thumb is that we can't screw with the real world's course of events.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Treskovia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Treskovia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 am

Atnaia wrote:
Treskovia wrote:Before the war, Germany, a province of mine, made itself independent and started WWI. After it lost, it was brought back into the fold of the then Empire of Treskovia. When Adolf Hitler became the new governor of Germany in 1933, he also announced Germany intependent, invaded Poland, then the Treskovian province of Austria, and that's how WWII started for Treskovia.

The Western Isles (TWI) Only. This is for regional organization of history.

Sorry, my bad.
National Anthem

Tier 8, Level 0, 1 or 3(depends on species), Type 7 civilization acording to this.

Songs to associate with me:
Anthem of the Xenophile Association, a group of people who love aliens
Anthem of the Patriot's League

Norstham
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstham » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:51 am

Ok, Ill say 40% of oil to local nations.
Norstham

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 am

Norstham wrote:Ok, Ill say 40% of oil to local nations.

We'll see as others discuss it, but we'll keep it at alright for now. It still seems high, but that's fine.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Upper Norseland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Upper Norseland » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am

Atnaia wrote:It's still a detail I'd avoid, just because it would significantly alter real world history, although it's not something I'm going to outright say "no" to as SoI. It's up to you, but a general rule of thumb is that we can't screw with the real world's course of events.

Fair enough.

Keomora
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Keomora » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am

"I'll be allies, fighting primary via marines, airforce and navy. Especially navy.
For Peace and Honor.

Norstham
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstham » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am

Atnaia wrote:
Norstham wrote:Ok, Ill say 40% of oil to local nations.

We'll see as others discuss it, but we'll keep it at alright for now. It still seems high, but that's fine.

Maybe I could start at a smaller number, say 20%, and then, as the war progresses and other supplies lines to the north are blockaded, it would rise then.
Norstham

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:28 am

Upper Norseland wrote:
Atnaia wrote:It's still a detail I'd avoid, just because it would significantly alter real world history, although it's not something I'm going to outright say "no" to as SoI. It's up to you, but a general rule of thumb is that we can't screw with the real world's course of events.

Fair enough.

I think the easiest way to avoid this is to just say that TWI was its own theatre of the war, and we were all wrapped up in the fighting here so that we couldn't be more influential elsewhere.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates