NATION

PASSWORD

Dancin on the Sun; Closed, Tyran

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Tennai
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Moralistic Democracy

Dancin on the Sun; Closed, Tyran

Postby Tennai » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Roommate Wanted for Two-Bedroom Flat in Tambalpattu.
Flat is furnished and includes all kitchen and bathroom appliances and features spacious rooms including a purpose built dance room. Applicants must be non-smokers and pass a criminal background check as per the request of the management. Any interested parties must also understand that I may be awake at unusual hours in order to rehearse. Other than that, I am glad to talk with all applicants to see if you are a good match. Interested parties my contact me at 022-40040224 if out of city or 40040224 if in city. You may also contact me by email at goharvijaya1509@pala.tn.

Tennai
Tambalpattu District, Hampi

“Thank you Yogi Sivaram for guiding me today,” Gohar Vijaya spoke as she pressed her hands together and gave the yogi a reverent bow.

“You are most kind my student. Go in peace with the goddesses and may you they bless with the fulfillment of your dream.” The middle aged woman and yogi responded.

Still bowing, Gohar spoke once more before rising and departing the yoga shrine. “Thank you yogi. Many blessings and peace to you.”

Once again in the sun of the Tennai summer, Gohar slipped her sandals back onto her feet and made her way past the shrine’s gate onto the busy sidewalk that starkly contrasted with the quiet and serenity within the shrine. “Well,” thought the young woman as she walked along the street she had traveled down countless times since she had moved to Hampi to pursue a career in film, “I have no nothing to do for the rest of the day, so I might as well have some fun.” Taking a few steps, she then stepped up onto a raised section of the broad sidewalk meant for people who needed to take break from walking.

She then reached into the hip pouch attached to her deep crimson yoga shorts and pulled out her smartphone. “Let’s see,” she spoke to herself as she checked the status of her friends on her favorite social networking app, KamalDisco. After scrolling through all her friends and acquaintances she put away her phone and shrugged. “I guess I will have to have fun on my own today.” Gohar then stood for a few minutes as she idly looked around her with the green eyes she had inherited from her father and considered what she would do for the rest of the day.

It was still morning, so lunch was not an option just yet. On the other hand, she was feeling a bit peckish after the session with Yogi Sivaram. That and the three hours she had spent rehearsing the wide variety of dances she needed to be familiar with when a director needed another backup dancer for whatever leading actress was shooting for one film or another. All that activity really worked up an appetite. “Okay,” thought Gohar as her stomach announced itself with a loud gurgle, “I don’t want to overdo it before lunch. So what where should I go to grab a bite?”

After another few moments of contemplation, Gohar nodded her head. “Arjun’s,” she announced to herself and then stepped back onto the lower section of the sidewalk once more. After walking two blocks, she stepped into one of the many large towers in the district and then proceeded through the lobby and into a small eatery tucked in-between a bank of elevators and a large gift shop offering various nick-knacks, t-shirts, and other “authentic” Hampi and Tennaiite souvenirs. Once inside the modest restaurant, Gohar walked past a few small and round plastic and steel tables colored a bright saffron and to the establishment’s front counter.

Behind the counter was a fairly short man, somewhere between the ages of forty and fifty with a thick black mustache and a short crop of black hair in which a few strands of grey were beginning to show. The man smiled at Gohar when she stepped up to the counter and greeted her. “Hello honored lady, how may I serve you today?”

Without looking at the large menu above the counter, Gohar responded with a smile of her own. “I will take a single order of your super chili somosas and a cardamom lassi Arjun.”

“Of course lady Vijaya, I will get started on those right away, If you need anything else in the meantime, Ravi will be more than happy to take care of you.” Arjun then gave Gohar a nod and walked through a door behind the counter. A moment later, a lanky young man of about nineteen years appeared in front of the counter and gave Gohar big white smile. Smiling back, Gohar then took a seat at a table and waited for her morning snack to be prepared.

Ten minutes later, Arjun came out with red plastic basket lined with paper and containing three piping hot samosas, a small dish of tamarind chutney, and tall glass containing Gohar’s drink. When her order was on the table, Gohar thanked Arjun and then waited a minute for her samosas to cool off before she picked them up. When she deemed her snack a safe temperature, she picked up on of the tetrahedral pastries stuffed with potato, onion, peas, green chilis, and spices and dipped into the dak and tangy chutney that had come with it.

She then lifted the samosa to her mouth and took a bite. “Yummy,” she thought as the flavors mingled on her tongue, “Arjun makes a damn good samosa.” After an hour of eating and chatting with Arjun and Ravi, Gohar finally decided to head out and see what the rest of the day had in store for her.
Last edited by Tennai on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Preethahali Metro Station
Hampi, Tennai

The pull of the train beginning to slow jolted Valérie out of the trance-like state she had been in for most of the ride. Ever since she entered the metro and boarded her train twenty minutes ago she had been thinking of one thing. It enveloped her mind and filled every space; there was no thinking of anything else. The face of her mother as life left her body was not something she would easily forget, no matter how hard she tried to erase it from her mind. It wasn't that she wanted to forget her mother or the memories she had of her, it was that she didn't want to remember that specific memory, and that memory was currently the only one she was having an easy time recalling.

It had happened three weeks ago to the day. She remembered the call that she received on her cell phone. The number had been one that wasn't in her phone, so she almost didn't answer it, she wasn't in the habit of answering random callers, but something had made her hit the green button on the screen and answer the call. The voice on the other end she recognized immediately. Her aunt, her mother's youngest sister, sounded distraught, most likely in tears, as she delivered the news that her mother's doctor had told her moments before. Her mother, the strongest woman she knew, was almost out of time. She had been battling brain cancer for a long time. The journey was one of only despair. There was no hope for recovery. Her mother, when she had finally told her, had seemed accepting of the matter. While she was a strong woman, she was also a woman who knew when it was time to accept one's fate. Valérie hadn't taken it well. She was an only child and therefore had been the center of her parent's attention for much of her life. The love she felt for them was unmatched in her life. When her father passed away six years earlier, she took solace knowing that at least she still had her mother, but now she had no one. Yes, she still had family members, they weren't people she wished to spend time with. They lived far away for most of her life, basically on the other side of the country. While they still loved her, the love she felt for them was no match for how she felt towards her now deceased parents.

She had made it to the hospital in time, and she had been able to see her mother still breathing, she even got to say goodbye, although that goodbye was one sided. She had only been there for about fifteen minutes before it happened. The grief she experienced over the next week was unparallel to anything else she had ever felt, even when compared to how she felt when her father died. At least she had her mother there to help her through that and vice versa. From sitting in on the funeral arrangements, sitting through the funeral and attempting to speak at it, and listening to the will being read, she had been barley a shell of her former self. She got a lot of grieving done in that first week. Perhaps that's what enabled her to leave so quickly.

When her father died her mother took control of the family bank accounts and holdings, but with her mother gone and being the sole child, everything had been passed on to her. Her father, the President of the First National Bank of Dudince, had made her family live a well off life. The bank wasn't big enough for them to be one of the filthy rich families that were always associated with successful bankers. It wasn't like he worked in Sveta, the business capital of Azura and Montemayor and where all of the biggest banks worked out of. His bank had a smattering of branches throughout the surrounding towns and cities, but it could never have stood up to the larger banking institutions in the country. His life insurance, along with the money he had saved up, served her and her mother well for the six years after he died, and after seeing the amount that was still left in the bank accounts after they were passed to her control it was clear they would have had enough for a little while longer.

That wasn't important any more though. She didn't need large amounts of cash to do what she was doing now. After the terrible week she had, she decided it was time for a change. While she was still sad, she was done wallowing in self pity. It took her a few additional days to get her affairs in order and collect herself, but by then she knew what she was going to do. She had always, since being a little girl, wanted to travel. Her parents knew this, and they took her on vacations to the surrounding countries: Shalum, Azurlavai, Sevase, Delkora, Saint Elena. It was all nice at the time, but she wanted something different. Those places were too close. It hadn't taken her long to decide where she wanted to go. Tennai. Why? She wasn't really sure, but it was a place where she hoped to find an adventure. She bought a plane ticket to Tennai the next day. The method she used to pick where she went was one she hoped would maximize her experience. She had obtained a map of Tennai and closed her eyes, spun the map around, and put her finger down. When she opened her eyes, her finger had landed on a city named Shavaluru. To her delight, it wasn't exactly in the middle of nowhere. There were places all around Shavaluru where she could go if she didn't find what she was looking for there.

She hadn't found it. That's why she was where she was now. She hadn't known it when she had first came, but close to Shavaluru was Hampi. Hampi just happened to be the most populated city in Tennai, and that was a perfect place for her to go to in her mind. When she had grown bored of Shavaluru she had done some researching. While in Shavaluru she stayed in a hotel of sorts, but being by herself wasn't what she wanted or needed right now. She had seen an advertisement online looking for a roommate in the Tambalpattu District, and that's where she was going to be headed. She had responded to the ad by email and had received a nice response from the person she would be rooming with, a woman named Gohar. The two had seemed to connect, and after Valérie passed the background check she had received confirmation that she had been chosen.

The train came to a halt and a number of people rose from their seats or moved from where they were standing in the train car towards the now open doors. Looking around she realized that she was where she needed to be. The thoughts of her mother that had been going through her head left as she too rose from her seat and exited the train onto the platform. The station she was in now was much more crowded than the one she had gone through when boarding the train, but that was to be expected.

Valérie clutched her bag as she walked through the throngs of people going to board their trains or moving towards the exit. She seemed to get into a wave of people who were all heading towards the exit, so she just moved at their pace and eventually got through the turnstiles to what seemed to be the lobby of the metro station. She saw the doors that went into the bright sunlight of the day and made her way over to them, emerging into the outside world. All she had to do now was get a taxi or some kind of ride to where she needed to go. She had a rough idea of the way she needed to go, but she would feel much better if she was able to get driven by someone who actually knew the city.

"Let's see what's in store..." she thought, a smile spreading across her face.

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Preethahali Metro Station

Alongside the road adjacent the station were about a dozen bright green taxis waiting to ferry any of the myriad of people passing by to the destination of their choice. The cabbies either stood outside their vehicles smiling and waving down passers by or leaned out of the windows of their cabs doing the same. It was one of the cabbies standing outside of his cab that was the first to wave down Valérie with a large white smile.

The man was young, probably around twenty-five or so, and thin with a clean shaven face and a mop-like head of black hair. He wore sandals, a pair of blue jeans, and a bright blue lacrosse jersey with the number twenty-four printed on the front. When Valérie was fairly close, the man stepped up to her and gave a the young woman a small bow.

Smiling, the young man spoke to her first in his native tongue and if she did not understand him, he then cycled through languages until he saw a glimmer of understanding in Valérie’s eyes. “You look like you might need a taxi honored lady. Please let me drive you to wherever you need to go. Nobody knows the city better than I do and I will make sure you get where you are going quickly and safely.”

The young man then extended an arm and pointed around him at the well maintained houses and shops and the large number of exotic flowering trees that filled the neighborhood around Preethali Station. “I can take you anywhere and I can tell you anything you need to know. Places to eat, places to drink, places to party, and places to relax. If you need any of these things I can point you in the right direction.” The man then winked, “You also have a driver that usually drives from the airport and knows about as many languages as there are people in this city.”

Still smiling, the young man offered a hand and looked at Valérie’s bag with his big brown eyes. “So honored lady, may Baraguru be your driver today and take you where you need to go?”

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

Gohar closed the curtains in her bedroom and tossed her cropped t-shirt onto the floor and then she did the same with her pants. “Now it is time to relax for a bit,” she said to herself as she walked into her bathroom wearing nothing but her underwear. Walking up to the sink, she turned on the faucet and splashed some cold water on her face and grabbed a towel. When her face was dry she took a deep breath and looked at her face in the mirror in front of the sink.

Gohar was not quite as dark as her mother, but neither was she as light as her father. She looked as though she had a perpetual light tan. Her eyes were green like her father’s and were topped by brows that were, thankfully, not as large and thick as her father’s. Her face was slender with a with rounded cheeks and perfectly sized lips that many of her numerous and varied co-workers said were quite kissable.

Puckering her lips as she continued to examine her face, Gohar nodded and muttered, “I see what they mean now. These lips are quite nice.” She then chuckled and stepped away from the mirror and exited bathroom. A minute later, Gohar was standing in front of a kitchen counter with an electric kettle diligently heating half a liter of water. Another minute later, Gohar was pouring the heated water from the kettle into a violet mug containing a bag of cardamom and ginger black tea.

When he tea was ready and sweetened with a generous portion of sugar, Gohar made her way into the flat’s living area and sat down cross-legged on a large red cushion. “I wonder what my new roommate is like,” she considered as she took a drink of her tea, “She seemed nice enough when we talked.” Gohar’s last roommate was not a bad person, a little odd and unpredictable, but not bad. Hansika was a musician that loved to talk about her compositions and the famous playback singers that she got to meet. She also had an unusual obsession with Gohar’s breasts and would often stare at them and ask Gohar about her treatment and if it were worthwhile.

Thankfully though, Hansika had done nothing more than stare and question and she and Gohar had been able to part on friendly terms. “I hope that gig is working out for her,” Gohar thought aloud after taking another drink of tea, “But it should be nice to have a chance to meet someone new, and foreigner at that.” Valérie was pleasant sounding name and Gohar was hoping the young woman attached to it was just as pleasant.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Hampi, Tennai

The line of taxis had caught her eye almost immediately with their bright green color. It hadn’t taken long when she approached them for one of the taxi drivers to approach her asking if she needed a ride. The driver, who looked to be around the same age as her, was very kind when he asked her about a ride, bowing to her and flashing a bright smile. She was cautious at first; she always was when she first met people she didn’t know. He rattled through a slew of languages, several of which she didn’t understand before he started speaking one she did understand: English. Growing up in Azura and Montemayor kids were obviously taught the native language, Slovak, but a lot were also taught English as a default. Very few people outside of the country spoke Slovak, which meant that the only way for most to communicate with foreigners was to learn English which a lot of the neighboring countries taught their children at a younger age.

“Of course you may be my driver today, Baraguru,” Valérie laughed, relieved that she had found someone who she was able to understand. It had occurred to her that she may have been going into Tennai blind in a sense. If she got there and no one understood what she said she was going to have a hard time communicating with those she met. She went anyway.

She kept her bag with her instead of having it put in the trunk of the car. It wasn’t a big one; she had only taken some essentials with her when she left. Her plan was to buy clothes while she was in Tennai, she wanted to at least look like she belonged and wasn’t completely out of place. She had bought some of the local clothes when she had been in Shavaluru and that was what she was currently wearing, but she still thought it was pretty obvious that she wasn’t from around here, and from the way Baraguru knew to speak in several different languages meant it was obvious to him as well.

She went with him to his taxi and crawled inside, waiting for a few seconds for him to get situated before telling him her desired destination. “I’m looking to go to… the Tambalpattu District,” she began. She dug around in her bag, looking for the piece of paper she had the address written down on. ”Here it is,” she thought, pulling out the paper and reading off the address to Baraguru. She looked at him in the rearview mirror while she read the address off to him. When she finished he nodded and pulled the car out of the spot it had been in alongside the road.

She continued to watch him as he drove her along the crowded streets of the city on the way to her destination. The more she looked at him the more attractive she found him. Back at home she had only ever dated one person. Their relationship had lasted for around two years. She expected him to propose to her, but instead she was greeted with lies and deceit when she found out that he had been seeing someone else for a few months while still with her. She got rid of him pretty quickly after that. Ever since then she hadn’t found anyone who she felt suited her. Maybe she would find someone here. Who knew what might happen.

It took a short time for the taxi to make its way to the Tambalpattu District and the apartment building that Valérie had given Balaguru the address to. The city sped by her window as the taxi went through the streets of the city. From what she could see, she liked it. It would be a nice change from what she was used to. When the taxi arrived she stayed inside for a few seconds after it stopped and looked out the windows, taking in the surroundings of where she would be staying for who knew how long. She was more than satisfied. The surroundings were pretty and there was certainly enough around to keep her entertained. She expected to be asking her roommate a lot for the first few weeks she was here. What better way to learn about the city than from someone who lived there permanently?

“Thank you so much,” she said, finally opening the door and stepping out onto the sidewalk. She pulled out her purse and took out the amount Balaguru asked for, handing the cash over to him and waving farewell. As the taxi pulled back over into the street and entered the traffic, Valérie turned and looked up at the building. It was a plain building on the outside, but how it looked on the outside wasn’t important. She was excited to get inside and meet the woman she would be living with.

After entering she wasted little time in the lobby of the building, deciding that she could find the apartment herself. She knew the apartment number, and that was enough for her to feel confident that she could find it on her own. She turned out to be right, finding the room easily after taking an elevator to the correct floor. She looked at the door for a little bit. She had to admit, she was a bit nervous. She had felt like she connected with the woman who had put the ad out, but talking to someone over the internet through email was a lot different than interacting with someone in real life. She could only hope that everything worked out, but if push came to shove she was always able to find somewhere else.

”Just do it already!” she thought to herself, and knocked on the door.

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:31 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

Gohar turned her head in the direction of the flat’s front door and paused the movie she was watching. It sounded like there might have been someone knocking on the door, but it also could have been the movie. She waited a moment and when she heard the knocking again, she hopped up off her cushion and walked toward the entrance hallway and then to the front door. Once at the door she peeked out of the door’s peephole and noticed someone who obviously was not from Tennai. It was likely her new roommate coming by to get settled.

“Okay,” Gohar thought as she took a deep breath, “I just gotta throw something on real quick and then I will meet my new roomy.” She then exhaled and spoke through the door in her well oiled English, “I will be right out. Please give me moment.” She then reached over to a clothing rack she had set up beside the door and grabbed a yellow crop top and a pair of short, black denim shorts that she had for occasions such as these. Once she was more presentable, she then took another deep breath and opened the door with a smile.

Upon the door opening, Valérie was greeted by a young woman in her early twenties. She was taller than the average Tennaiite woman, barely under 178 centimeters in height, with the lithe and well toned body of the dancer she was. Her hips feminine with a light curve and the bosom her last roommate had obsessed over was well proportioned and looked very natural. Other attributes aside though, Gohar departed in appearance from the typical Tennaiite individual by having skin that held a light tan instead of the much darker hue most natives had, green eyes instead of brown, and hair that was a dark brown instead of black.

“How do you do,” Gohar’s voice light and friendly as she smiled, “I am Gohar Vijaya and may I assume that you are my new flat mate Valérie?” She then noticed the other woman’s bag and continued with a chuckle, “Of course you are. I don’t have many people show up at the door with travel bags. Please step inside and let me show you your room and then I will give you a tour of the rest of the flat.” Gohar then stuck out a hand for Valérie to grab hold of and beckoned with the other. “Please take my hand I will show you the way.”
Last edited by Tennai on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District
Hampi, Tennai

The few minutes it took for Gohar to get clothes on gave Valérie a chance to consider how she wanted to greet her new roommate. She knew that Gohar spoke English, so there would be no language barrier, but should act enthusiastic and risk being overzealous or should she try to be more relaxed and seem uninterested? As the door opened, she decided that she would try to be somewhere in-between.

Gohar stood in the now open doorway smiling at Valérie with bright eyes and a genuinely happy expression on her face. She seemed to be as excited as Valérie was. Gohar introduced herself, and Valérie responded in kind, with a wide smile on her face. "Yes, I'm Valérie. It's very nice to meet you."

Gohar extended her hand and offered to show Valérie her room and around the apartment, to which Valérie accepted and took the outstretched hand that Gohar had extended. Upon entering the apartment Valérie turned and closed the door quickly, also turning the lock to ensure no one could get in. While she liked the area, she didn't know what people were like around here, and she didn't want to take any chances.

The first stop they made was to Valérie's room. It was a good sized room, certainly enough space for her to live for the time she would be in the city. There was certainly some decorating that she would be doing, all of which would be done with local art and things that she could find to buy in the city considering she had brought very little with her on the trip. "It's very nice, thank you," she said, stepping in and setting her bag down on the bed in the corner of the room. She wanted to lay down, take everything in, and just relax, but she knew now wasn't the time for that, she didn't want to seem rude.

With Gohar standing at the door, Valérie walked around looking in the closet and opening the drawers of the dresser that were in the room. There was enough space with the two that she would be able to buy a significant amount of clothing, adding to the few outfits she had bought back in Shavaluru when she had first arrived in Tennai. She could foresee a shopping trip for several things within the next few days, hopefully with the help of her new roommate.

Moving over to the window in the room, she pulled back the blinds that were hanging from above the window and peered out. The apartment wasn't too high up, so she could see down to the street and the sidewalks easily. The people strolling up and down the street and the cars zooming by was a nice view, much better than having to stare straight into an exterior wall of a building right beside theirs. She had had to do that when she went to college. She hadn't stayed in the campus housing, instead opting to rent an apartment in the city the college was in, and that was what happened. Looking out the window would show a brick wall, and looking down would only show a back alley. It was much nicer here.

Turning back to the doorway where Gohar stood, she smiled and asked, "So, can you show me the rest?"

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

“So far, so good,” thought Gohar after her first in person meeting Valérie and the trip to her new roommate’s room. If she continued to be this pleasant things would be very nice for the both of them.

Once Valérie had finished the inspection of her room and asked for the continuation of the tour, Gohar returned the other woman’s smile. “Of course we can. Just follow me.” She then turned around and waited for Valérie to follow her back out of the room and into the hall. The first stop on the tour was the flat’s living area which, like the rest of the flat, had a fairly high ceiling and was built in a modern Tennaiite style that included a mix of wood, stone, and metal to create a smooth and multi-textured appearance. On the floor of the living area was a exquisitely woven rug that had been given to Gohar as a gift from her father when she had moved out into the flat. Sitting atop the vibrantly colored rug was a small leather sofa, a large red cushion for sitting, and a moderately sized HD television on a aini wood table that had been a gift from Gohar’s mother.

Once Valérie had a chance to view the living area, Gohar then led her into the dining area which was home to a small wooden dining table and a couple of chairs and a cupboard that held various dishes and dining utensils. Aside from the that, the dining area held little of else of interest. When they were finished with the dining area, it was straight into the flat’s modern and reasonably sized kitchen. There was a large refrigerator in one corner, ample counter space all around , a large sink and dishwasher, a gas stove with oven, a sizable pantry, and an assortment of cooking dishes and utensils.

After walking Valérie through the kitchen and showing her everything was, Gohar smiled and spoke with upbeat energy, “Anything in the kitchen is fair game Valérie. Tea is in the cupboard on the left side of the stove and the electric kettle is just under that.” After a few moments, Gohar then continued with the tour and led Valérie into a room that functioned as a study and pretty much every other sort of room. There were a few cushioned chairs, a small desk, a couple of bookshelves, various nick knacks, and a drink refrigerator which Gohar opened for Valérie. “Here is were I keep all my cold drinks,” she then grinned, “And as you can see it is mostly beer. So long as you replace what you drink, you can have as many as you want.”

Following the office, Gohar then walked by her own room and then finally to the dance room. The dance room was by far the largest room in the flat and also the simplest in terms of decor. It had a well polished and expansive aini wood floor with a few mats for dance and yoga scattered about as well was a top notch stereo system with speakers placed in strategic locations along the walls and ceilings. “This is where I practice my dancing and also my acting. I will spend a lot of my time in here when I am preparing for a project,” spoke Gohar sweeping her arms in front of her. “I don’t mind if you come in while I am practicing, so long as you do not make too much noise. I can get pretty cranky when I am rehearsing for a project and I don’t want you to feel unwelcome if happen to snap at you.”

“When I am not rehearsing,” she smiled, “You can use the room whenever you want. It is a great place to relax and listen to music and shut out the world.”

Turning to face Valérie directly she continued, “So, roomie, do you have any questions? Is there anything you want to do now or in the next few days? I do not have any projects at the moment so I am very free.”

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 am

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

The flat really was beautiful. She quite liked the mixture of wood, metal, and stone that the flat had. Back in Dudince, the house that she grew up in was much different. Her father had a knack for antiques and wood paneling. Several rooms had hard wood floors, wood paneled walls, or a mixture of both. While she thought it was nice, she had no say in how the house was decorated, even though she preferred more modern décor like the flat she was in now had. Needless to say, her room did not match the rest of the house. When she grew old enough to move out, she was able to rent a flat that suited her tastes. While it didn’t have the same mixture of materials that Gohar’s did, Gohar’s reminded her of the one she left back home. It was still there if or when she wanted it, but everything she had seen so far in Tennai she liked, and didn’t have any plans of heading back home anytime soon.

Heading around the flat with Gohar, heeding her words the whole way, she was struck by just how big it was. She hadn’t imagined it having so many rooms, and all good sized rooms at that. The living room looked like a great place to relax, the kitchen and pantry were well stocked, the study looked like the perfect room for doing any work that would arise, and the dance room was nice as well. She could see herself spending time in it, she could see herself spending time in all of the rooms. The entire flat impressed her. She knew now that she made the right decision, not just because of the quality of the flat, but because of the personality of her flatmate. Gohar genuinely seemed like a good person so far, and she had a feeling that wouldn’t change.

As they ended the tour and Gohar turned to ask about questions or plans for the next few days Valérie knew exactly the answer. “No questions right now, but there are some things that I was hoping you could help me with. I traveled pretty light when I came to Tennai, so I have very few clothes, necessities, or really much of anything. I was hoping that you could take me, or at least direct me, to a shopping center or something similar so that I can stock up. Mainly I just need clothes right now, but I wouldn’t mind getting some decorations and things for my room either.”

Valérie wondered further into the dance room to look at the things lying around. She hated having to ask things of people, especially people she had just met. Gohar seemed like the kind of person who would be willing to help, but just in case she felt like she should add something else. “I don’t want you to feel like you have to help me with anything. I wouldn’t want to make you go out of your way or anything, I just don’t know much about this city yet so it would be helpful if you could give me some guidance.”

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:14 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

Gohar nodded and smiled. “I am not working for the next few days Valérie, so I have plenty of time to show you around town and take you shopping.” She then crossed her arms across her chest and continued, “I imagine that you must be tired after your trip though. Azura and Montemayor is not exactly next door after all. Why don’t you relax and get yourself situated and then if you are up for it, perhaps we can go out to shop and grab something to eat later.”

Gohar then uncrossed her arms and stretched her arms over her head. “I am going to get a little practice in, Valérie. You are free to stick around and watch if you want.” She then smiled and nodded before walking over to one of the mats on the floor to stretch. She first stretched the different muscles groups in her legs, then her back and torso, and then her arms. Once she had completed her stretches she hopped up and bounced on the balls of her feet a few times and nodded

Satisfied with the limberness of her body, she walked over to the stereo and flipped it on and pushed a few buttons. She then posed her body with her left foot a few centimeters in front of her right, her back arched forward slightly, and her arms stretched one in front and one behind her. When the music finally started, she gracefully tumbled forward and hopped to her feet...

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

Valérie was delighted when Gohar told her that she was free for the next few days. She had no idea how long it would take her to find all of the stuff that she wanted, but she was sure that with Gohar’s help she would be able to find the right shops in no time. In fact, considering that Gohar offered to take her later in the day, she figured she would get what she wanted even quicker than expected. She never imagined that Gohar would be willing to take her the same day that they first met, not because she didn’t think she would be polite, but because she just assumed that she would have other things to be doing.

“That’s very kind of you,” Valérie began. “I’ll be up for it. In fact, I was just next door. I’ve been in Tennai for a little while now. I initially came to Shavaluru from Azura and Montemayor, but it just wasn’t what I was looking for. I hoped that by coming here I would get a little bit more out of my trip. It also helps that I’ll have a roommate now. When I was in Shavaluru I was living alone.”

When Gohar went into the dance studio Valérie followed out of curiosity. Considering Gohar invited her to stay and watched she figured she may as well take a look. She knew that Gohar was into dance, it was on the advertisement that there was a dance room so she knew what to expect. The only question was, what kind of dance? This was the perfect opportunity to find out.

Valérie figured that she would watch the dancing for a little while and then return to her room. While she wasn’t tired by a travel from Azura and Montemayor to Tennai, she did feel like she could afford to go in and lay down for a short nap. It would do her no good to be tired when she and Gohar went out to shop and get dinner.

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 am

Gohar rehearsed for a couple of hours, noticing at some point that Valérie had left the room. She was probably tired from her trip and had gone to rest. “That was a good rehearsal,” Gohar muttered to herself as she went through her post rehearsal stretches. “Now to clean up and relax for a little bit before checking in on my new flat mate.” She then left the dance room and soon found herself in the bathroom where she quickly stripped down. She then turned on the faucet on the large round bathtub that sat in the center of the room and waited as it filled with soothingly hot water. Once the tub was full, Gohar stepped in slowly and then slid down the side of the tub until little but her head was poking out of the water.

“Where should I take Valérie first,” she thought aloud as she gently kicked her feet underneath the steaming water. They could go any number of different places to shop and what they could not get done today, they could very well get done in subsequent days. There was also the matter of where she should take Valérie for dinner. She did not know much about the young woman yet, but she knew a place that would be a good introduction to Tennaiite cuisine without throwing anything too exotic at the Azuran. The last thing that anyone needed while living in a foreign land was a distaste for the local culinary offerings.

After thirty minutes of soaking, Gohar stepped out of the tub and tossed on a robe that she kept hanging on the bathroom door and walked back to her own bedroom where changed into a fresh set of clothes that included low cut v-neck t-shirt in a rich purple and a pair of mid-thigh length denim shorts in white. Once she was fully attired she sat down in the living area and turned on her television to her favorite movie channel and started to watch a film called Tajalu Kastani. It was not a bad movie and the dance choreography was amazing throughout. “What I would not give to be one of those actresses and simply a backup dancer,” thought Gohar with her eyes glued to the television as she digested every motion of the actresses and actors in the film.

About halfway through the film, she considered checking in on Valérie to see how she was doing, but decided against it as that might have interrupted her sleep. It would probably bee better to let Valérie rest before dragging her around from store to store.

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:30 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

When Valérie laid down for her nap she didn’t expect to be asleep long before waking up again. She wasn’t that tired to begin with but hoped to take a little nap so she didn’t tire as she was going about the city with Gohar. She had a general idea of the kinds of things she wanted to buy, but she knew she would have to wait and see where Gohar took her before she made any final decisions because she really had no idea what she was going to find when they went out to the shops. Her list wasn’t that long, at least for what she planned on buying tonight. She knew for sure that she would have to buy a few more pairs of clothing because she didn’t have many with her considering she traveled very light when she left Azura and Montemayor. She also wanted a few things that she could put around her room and eventually take back home when she decided that it was time to go back, not that she knew when that would be. She also planned on looking for a few larger items, items that she wouldn’t be able to carry around with her all night as Gohar and she went back and forth throughout the city.

Valérie did manage to get to sleep. Lying down on the top of her bed above the covers and resting her head on the pillow, she drifted into a light sleep. It was a rather uneventful sleep. There was no dreaming. She wasn’t a person who dreamed that often. It would happen occasionally, and unfortunately it picked up after the death of her mother, but those dreams weren’t good dreams. She would often wake up in tears wishing that she had no dreamed what she had. Whenever she thought she was finally beginning to get over her grief she would have another sad dream. They weren’t always about her mother, but they were a lot of the time. Some were about her father as well, although most of the time he would be with her mother in the dream. That was another reason she decided she had to get out of her house. She thought that if she had a change in scenery the dreams would stop. Up until now they had, which gave her hope.

When she woke up she checked the time. The digital alarm clock that say on a bedside table to the left of her bed told her that she had been asleep for about five hours. A bit longer than she had expected. “Gohar is probably done by now,” she thought, sitting up and stretching her arms out. Sliding herself off of her bed she walked over to her door which she had shut before laying down and quietly opened it. She could hear the sound of what she figured was the television from the living room. She couldn’t understand what anyone on the movie was saying, but that was to be expected. She figured that she would only be able to communicate with a handful of people to begin with. She was planning on asking Gohar to teach her the native language, but she didn’t want to bother her with that just yet.

Walking from her bedroom into the living room she moved around and plopped down on the large red cushion that was sitting on the floor. “Did you have a good rehearsal?”

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Gohar turned her head when Valérie spoke and nodded her head. “I did. I think if I keep going like this and also keep up with my acting lessons I will be able to get an actual role in a film.” She then patted the spot next to her on the cushion. “Please sit down for a minute before we head out Valérie. We can figure out what we want to look for today and then decide where I should take you for dinner on your first day here.”

Gohar waited for Valérie to take a seat before she smiled and continued, “If you want clothes, I know a few places that have pretty stylish stuff for not too much money or if you have a little bit more to spend, I those places would only be about a block away from the flat. If you need appliances or anything for your room, there are some good places to visit nearby.”

She paused for a moment, seemingly trying to remember something, and then spoke again. “There is also a mall about two kilometers away. You can probably find most things you might need there and it would not take us long to get there taking the Metro.”

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:21 pm

The Flat
Tambalpattu District

At Gohar’s request, Valérie moved from where she had been sitting to the spot beside Gohar. Listening to Gohar list the places that she would be able to take her gave her hope that she would be able to find anything that she might want. Not only that, but she was excited to go to dinner. While she had been in Tennai for only a short time, she had developed a liking for the country’s cuisine. She planned on going to restaurants quite a bit for a while, just so she could try as many things as she wanted. She would have to start going to a gym if her eating got out of hand, but that could be dealt with at a later date.

“Money won’t be an issue,” Valérie said, addressing Gohar’s comment about the more expensive shops about a block from the flat. The inheritance she had received from her mother would last for a while, especially after taking the monetary conversion rate between the Azuran and Montemayori Isgat and the Tennaiite Tali into consideration. “I’ll go anywhere you want to take me,” she continued. “I’m really just looking for some clothes and little knick knacks at this point. Eventually I’ll start looking for some bigger things, but I don’t want to be hauling big things around with us all evening.”

Leaning back and looking at the ceiling for a few seconds, she pondered what the best way of doing things might be. “Perhaps we could go to the shops a block or so away for clothes, and then head to the mall to look around. Maybe I’ll find some things there that I haven’t thought about needing yet,” she suggested to Gohar. “Then we can go wherever you want for dinner.”

Nodding and smiling, Gohar stood up. “It looks like we have a plan then,” she then nodded, “Please wait here for a second. I need to get something from my room before we head out.” Gohar then walked to her room and began to rummage through a drawer on her desk. After a few moments of searching, she found what she was looking for and made her way back to the living area.

“Here,” Gohar reached out a closed hand which she then opened. In her hand was a small, brightly painted figure of a lithe and buxom woman that had a leather strap running through a small loop on its head.. “This a Yaksha, Valérie. It is meant bring you good fortune and stave off evil. If that does not appeal to you,” she chuckled, “You can simply think of it as a necklace.”

Taking the small figurine from Gohar, Valérie turned it over in her hand, taking in all of the details. “It’s beautiful,” she commented, slipping the leather loop over her head. After adjusting the figurine so that it was centered on her chest, she returned her gaze to Gohar. She didn’t subscribe to the superstitious beliefs that were represented by the figure, but she wasn’t going to let that cause a rift between the two, especially this early on. “Thank you,” she said, genuinely.

Gohar waited a moment for Valérie to respond before clapping her hands together and speaking again. “First I think we need to get you some nice cholis and I know just the place to go. If you are ready Valérie, then let us head out do some shopping.”

Nodding and rising from where she was sat on the cushion, Valérie flattened the wrinkles that had formed on her shirt. “I’m ready, just let me go and grab some things from my room,” came her response. She only had to grab her cell phone and purse, she didn’t expect she would need much else. Plus, the less she had to carry to begin with the better. It made more room in her arms to carry her shopping bags.

Slipping away from the living room and back to her bedroom she gathered her things and slid her shoes on. She was rather excited. This would be the first time she was getting to really see this city, and it made it better knowing that she would be seeing it with someone who actually knew where everything was. Before, in Shavaluru, she had known nothing. She was unable to read the street signs, and several attempts she made at communicating with people failed. It was part of the reason she decided to trade that city for this one.

Returning to the living room, she neared the flat entrance. “Alright, I’m good now,” she said, patting her purse. “Let’s get to it.”

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm

“Of course,” Gohar replied with a smile. She then opened the door to the flat and stepped out into the lush garden that served as the boundary between the property’s two sets of flats. As she walked through the fence that enclosed the property she pointed to her left at a group of white blossomed crepe myrtles

“If you came here by cab, I imagine that you were dropped off over there. Across the street is probably the best spot to try and catch a cab. If you keep going in that direction for half a block, you will hit a metro station were you can catch a train.”

Gohar then turned to the right and continued walking. It did not take long for the two young women walk their destination and as they approached the scenery changed slightly. The streets narrowed and the residential buildings were replaced a myriad of tall towers of steel and glass, department stores, and a multitude of smaller upscale shops and restaurants.

“I know great place pick up some really nice outfits,” Gohar said as the two women passed a tall sky scraper flanked on either side by a pair of old temple constructed some time in the tenth century. “This is one of the reasons that I love this city Valérie. You can find buildings a thousand years old standing alongside those that are only twenty without anything looking out of place.”

Walking a little further the two women arrived in area closed off to vehicle traffic by lines of parpaka magnolia trees filled to the brim with pale purple blossoms. “Okay,” Gohar stopped amidst the pulsating mass of stationary and moving people that occupied the open area, “One of my favorite places to go shopping for clothes is Palam. They make best looking and probably most comfortable lines of clothing that I have ever had the chance to wear.”

Gohar then pointed to large building with a facade of black granite and large glass windows, “That is it over there. Their selection includes outfits for pretty much any occasion from very informal to very formal. The two things that you should probably pick up are a few cholis and a good pair of sandals. It is hard to look unfashionable in a choli and sandals. Plus, along with whatever leg coverings you pick up, they are really the best things to wear with how hot it can get at this time of year.”

Smiling, Gohar then offered an arm, “Let’s do a little shopping now. If you have any questions, just ask and I shall answer.”

Azura and Montemayor
Spokesperson

Anarchy

Postby Azura and Montemayor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm

The city really was a beautiful one. The tall and gleaming skyscrapers reflecting the evening sunlight were a beautiful sight. The architecture of the ones that rose up around Valérie was somewhat different than what you would see in Azura and Montemayor, but that was to be expected. The modernity of the city, coupled with the historic buildings that were dotted throughout the streets, made it one of a kind. At least, she thought it might. She really didn’t know. The only place that you would find something like it in Azura and Montemayor would be Váhom, but even then most of the historic buildings in the city were in the historic district. The handful of old buildings that sat amongst the modern buildings in the main part of the city looked out of place and awkward, only surviving because the Ministry of Culture had designated them historic sites that were forbidden to be torn down.

The hustle and bustle of those around them was not lost on her as she studied the buildings around her. It was as busy as she had expected it to be. As the afternoon turned into the evening, occupants of the city would be heading home from work, heading to work, heading out for dinner, and much more. She doubted it ever really calmed down.

She had grown up in large town, not quite a city, but close. Due to her family’s wealth, she had been able to travel throughout her childhood, being acquainted with several foreign countries and the people in them. She had been throughout her home country as well, but mostly stuck to the higher populated western coast. Her long list of travel destinations that she had been to enabled her to not be in awe of Hampi. She had seen Sveta at its busiest time of the year in Azura and Montemayor. The city of thirteen and a half million people had been the biggest she had ever traveled to. As she understood it, Hampi was close to Sveta’s population, but still short by hundreds of thousands.

As Gohar pointed out Palam to her, it became evident that it was an upscale shop. The black granite exterior coupled with the large windows spoke of luxury. It looked like just the place she would want to go, and with Gohar beside her she was confident that she would be able to pick out some lovely clothing that would help her not stand out.

Gohar led the duo through the throng of pedestrians, carefully navigating their way through so as not to bump into anyone. With her in the lead, the two made it to the front of the shop quickly. Now able to look through the large front windows of the shop, Valérie could see hangars and shelves full of clothes. Mannequins could be seen dotted around the shop floor as well, putting the colorful clothes on display for potential buyers. Valérie stood looking through the windows for a short time, mesmerized by the colors and styles of clothing inside. She was finally snapped out of her trance when Gohar lightly tapped her on the arm.

“Maybe you could get a better look inside instead of standing looking through the windows,” she joked, motioning for Valérie to follow her inside.

Gohar caught the door to the shop as it was about to glide closed after a shopped had exited. The woman who came out of the shop was carrying a number of white paper-like bags with “Palam” written on them in black lettering. Valérie didn’t expect she would be buying as much as that woman had, but she couldn’t be sure until she actually went in and looked around.

Following Gohar inside, Valérie was able to view the shop from the interior. Black and brown granite tile floors stretched out in front of them. Beige colored walls rose up to the high ceiling that was covered with chandeliers and other hanging lights. To their left was a check-out counter with several cash registers and employees standing ready to help with anything that was needed. The cool air from the air conditioning was a pleasant change from the warm and humid air outside.

Having taken her time to look over some things outside, Valérie quickly moved through the store with Gohar at her heels. The clothing around her was far different from anything that would be found in her home country. The colors, the style; everything was distinctly Tennaiite. That didn’t mean she didn’t like it, though. Far from it. She thought everything she saw was beautiful, especially the pieces of clothing that were bright colors. Keeping in mind what Gohar had suggested she purchase, she began her hunt through the store for appropriate clothing.

Between the time Valérie began looking to the time she was ready to check out at least an hour and a half had passed. Most of the time had been spent going through the store picking out clothing and making outfits. Thankfully, when she went to try on everything, it all fit. In her arms were three cholis, one orange and blue with flower patterns, one light green and white, and then one that was a dark navy blue that almost looked black with beige leaf patterns running down the front. Skirts and loose pants in a variety of colors were among some of the other things she had picked up. Following Gohar’s advice, she had also grabbed two pairs of sandals. The last thing she had picked out was an orange and gold sari. From what Gohar told her, sari were only worn on very formal occasions, but Valérie still felt like she should buy one.

All that was left now was to check-out. Once that was finished, she expected that Gohar and her would stop somewhere to eat, but she had no idea where. She trusted Gohar to make the best decision, considering she had been living in the city far longer than Valérie had.

She had to admit, she was already having a much better time in Hampi than she had had in Shavaluru. Mostly because she was spending her time with someone instead of being alone. Being along wasn’t exactly what she needed right now, and it was nice to have someone she could talk to and do things with - even if she didn’t really know the person yet. Hopefully it would continue.

Tennai
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tennai » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:38 am

Valérie was proficient shopper by all accounts. The Azuran woman darted from one thing to the next with real purpose and a keen eye. It all made Gohar think of some of the foreign films and television shows she had caught through the televison service she had and some of the trips she had taken overseas. In those pieces of large and small screen cinema it always seemed that women were obsessed with shopping with a special emphasis seemingly put on things like shoes and handbags.

“You will never find me in pair of high-heeled shoes again,” Gohar thought to herself as Valérie was trying on pair of pants, “That time in Syara that I was convinced to, I nearly broke my ankle and back was killing after a couple of hours. Never again.”

Of course, like in the visual media of her own nation, those found in other nations likely exaggerated and played up things in unrealistic ways. It was just one of those things that people around the world had a knack for doing. There was nothing wrong with it as long as it was all in good fun and most of the time that was case.

As the two women were leaving the shop, Gohar thought once again on what they were going to eat. There were a number of choices in this area of downtown for all tastes and budgets. It was simply a matter of figuring out what was the best option for introducing Valérie intimately to the cuisine of her nation. Should she take a focused approach and take her roommate to place that served up local cuisine or go with a broader approach and take her somewhere that would offer culinary entries from across Tennai. It was a tough choice.

After a few moments of consideration, Gohar settle on a location and turned to Valérie with a smile.

“I think I know the perfect place for us to grab a bite to eat. There is a little three table place a couple of blocks from here. It is tucked away between a bank and a mobile shop. Aside from the food being great, the woman who runs the place is probably one of the friendliest people you will meet.’

Gohar took a step and then continued, “And they are not going to be busy this time of day, so we should be able to get a seat inside.”

Gohar then continued walking with Valérie beside her, making conversation as they went if Valérie were so inclined. After short walk, the two women arrived at the small restaurant that Gohar had mentioned. It was indeed a small place, but made up for the lack of size with a heavenly aroma and lovely decor.

“Here we are Valérie, Rhyah’s Number Three and by the look of things, we are indeed going to get a seat inside.”

Gohar then led Valérie into the colorfully painted eatery and then indicated a chair beside a small and circular table painted a bright blue. “I am going to make our order. If you have any questions about the food or if you would like to try something different, don’t hesitate to say something.” She then smiled, “I will be back shortly roomie.”

After a little while, Gohar returned and sat down across from Valérie. “I think you should like what I ordered us. Most foreigners I have taken here seem to enjoy the food.”

“So, while we wait for the food, is there anything on your mind that you would like to talk about or any questions you want to ask me?”

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates