NATION

PASSWORD

The Endless Cycle Repeats Endlessly (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

The Endless Cycle Repeats Endlessly (Closed)

Postby New Naggoroth » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:08 pm

(This is something of a nation maintenance thread, along with an ongoing story. Also, a continuation of the events from this thread.)

Hoeth, Kingdom of Saphery

The White Tower burned. The impossibly tall edifice, one that had once stood as the centre of the surrounding city, it's gleaming white stones serving as a shining beacon along the rugged coastline, was blackening and beginning to crumble. Citizens could only watch in horror as the fires could not be doused, and continued to consume even the very stones themselves. It was horrible magic gone awry, they said to each other as they watched, noting the streaks of blue, purple, and green that occasionally streaked the ruddy orange flames. The mages must have gone too far in some experiment. Now their home would be naught more then dust as the gods humbled them.

The lower levels had been evacuated in time before the fires had spread. Hundred of acolytes, students, and the Swordmaster garrison helped battle the blaze from the street, but they could do little more but keep the fire from spreading as chunks of burning masonry fell into the wide park surrounding the Tower. None of the senior mages had made it out, and sorrow weighed heavily on the hearts of those who quickly realized they would never see their friends and colleagues again.

The fire burned through the night, spilling a massive trail of acrid black smoke across the city along the southerly wind. By dawn of the following day, it was finally over; only a few smoldering embers remained in the blackened, hollow shell that had once been a nearly mile-high tower. The survivors and the first group of firefighters had retired, many being treated for shock and exhaustion after spending so long battling the hellish inferno. A few fresh crews remained on the scene, continuing to douse the ashes with flame retardant foam to keep anything from starting up once more. Police in filter masks patrolled the perimeter of the Tower Park, keeping people away from the scene. An eerie calm had finally settled over the scene.

Major Scarlet Drakharn had not left the scene since she had fled the tower. Her sister had been up at the summit, with the Archmage. Something had to have gone wrong with whatever they were doing. 'There was no way this was just a coincidence,' she thought bitterly, determined to remain until they had found Ellenith. So she waited on one of the benches in the park, and stared up at the tower's ruins. Her navy blue uniform and blonde hair were both streaked with grey stone dust and black ash, and her eyes were red and irritated, but still she waited.

It was just as the first rays of dawn crept though the clouds that the miracle happened. A lone figure walked slowly from the ruins! Hunched over and leaning heavily on a tall staff, the person seemed to barely able to stand. And that figure walked straight up to Scarlet, apparently without being so much as noticed by the work crews in the area.

Scarlet could clearly see it was a woman who approached, though a hood obscured her face. The woman's dress was tattered, torn and burnt, but she saw no sign of wounds or injury. Scarlet thought she recognized the staff; half again the height of an elf, it was made of brilliant white starwood, banded with silver and ithilmar, and topped with a figure of a maiden holding open a large book, imposed upon the crescent moon. The staff of Lileath! The Loremaster's own staff. But how...

The answer became clear when tired figure pulled back her hood and revealed herself. Ellenith Drakharn, alive and unharmed, save for a bandage wrapped around her head, obscuring her left eye. Ellenith managed a weak smile as she saw that her sister had waited for her, and the shocked look of joy on her face. It was about all she could do to slump into Scarlet's arms as she bolted up to hug her tightly.

"I thought you were dead. I couldn't believe it..." Scarlet whispered, as tears streaked her soot-stained cheeks.

"I think I might have been. I don't... don't really remember..." was about all her sister could manage. "But we have to be away. We have to go home. I... need your help, again."

Scarlet couldn't argue. Whatever had spared her sister, if it was blind luck, fate, or the intervention of the gods themselves, none of it mattered. Only the supreme joy she felt at seeing her sister alive again mattered. She would do whatever Elly wanted. So she turned, and supported Ellenith's arm over her shoulder, and helped carry her. "Alright, alright... but you need to rest, you look like hell," Scarlet could only offer a slight admonishment along with a half-hearted chuckle as she turned and lead them back to their ship.

"Trip's a few days... that's... all I can... spare..." Elly murmured, as she slumped against her sister's side, the last of her energy fading as she passed out, claimed by blissful unconsciousness.
New Naggoroth factbook

Bartholomew The Tempest
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bartholomew The Tempest » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:10 pm

(Opened)

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:39 pm

With only the low hum of suspensors pushed to their limit as fanfare, the ungainly shuttle that had brought the Drakharns to Saphery took off once more, leaving behind the verdant world behind. The flying crate creaked and groaned as it fought with gravity, until finally the last of the atmosphere fell away, and the profound silence of space surrounded the sisters instead. It was a long trip back to Rudan, on that would be made even longer by taking such a small shuttle such as this.

Scarlet sighed as she pushed herself back from the controls, content to leave the ship on autopilot for the next few hours as it headed for the system transit point. Hyperlight jumps couldn't just be conducted anywhere, she knew from her Academy training, and a ship like this wouldn't have the fuel to make it across the galaxy without using the public gateways. So that meant spending a few hours traversing the system to the gate and queuing up like everyone else.

So she decided to pass the time and check in on her sister. Ellenith had settled into a deep sleep on a cot in the passenger compartment once Scarlet had hauled her on board, and she hadn't moved since. She'd been breathing and still had a pulse, so her twin had put off a more thorough check on her health until they'd taken off, as Elly had pleaded. All that being done, however, prompted Scarlet to pull out the ship medical kit, and get to work finding out how badly her dear sister had been injured.

Cutting away the ruined and burnt robes had only added to Scarlet's confusion. Nobody could just walk out of a disaster like that, and especially not unscathed... but the evidence proved that Ellenith had done just that. Not a mark on her. Nothing except the bandage wrapped around her head, at least.

"Well, I guess that proves you aren't completely impervious," she muttered to herself softly as she reached up to pull the bandage away and dress Elly's head wound.

Ellenith's hand shot up and grabbed Scarlet's wrist just as her hand neared the surprisingly clean linen. She held her sister's hand with an incredible amount of force for someone who was completely unconscious mere seconds before. Her other eye was open, and visibly trembled.

"Don't... it's alright..." Ellenith mumbled weakly, though she maintained her vice-like grip on Scarlet's wrist.

"Alright, just what the hell is going..." Scarlet started as she overcame her brief shock and pushed forward, her curiosity piqued along with her concern.

"STOP!"

The force of the command hit Scarlet like a slap. She yanked back, and nearly fell to the floor, her eyes wide with shock and surprise. Elly had never been forceful with her before, even as children, and to have such a power in just her voice... it unsettled her. There was no way it couldn't.

"Look, I'm sorry sis," that was Ellenith's normal, meek voice returned, mixed with a large dose of regret, "Just... not yet. Once I'm rested, okay?" she asked, pulling up the blanket Scarlet had covered her with in place of her tattered clothes.

"Yeah... get some rest, Elly," Scarlet herself felt reassured that her sister was alright, but she was still wary. The helplessness was the worst part, so she did what she always did, and that was to put on her usual brave, unconcerned face, "We'll be making the jump in a few hours, and I know that makes you sick at the best of times. Try not to make a mess back here, alright?"

"Okay. Just... maybe leave me a bucket?"
New Naggoroth factbook

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 am

"Do you know the funny thing about humans, sis?"

Ellenith had finally joined her sister in the small cockpit of their shuttle, after she'd slept for a few hours, and dressed herself in whatever spare clothing of Scarlet's she could find. The co-pilot seat had proven to be quite comfortable, and Ellenith kicked her feet up onto the control console, so she could relax and enjoy the kaleidoscope display of FTL travel. Seeing the shifting colours and blurred stars always put her in an introspective mood.

Scarlet merely grumbled, and quickly made up her mind that she would club the next person who would dare to put their feet up on the controls of her ship. But instead of a beating, she humored her sister with a sigh, "Alright, I'll bite," she said as she turned away from her own controls, the engine diagnostic she'd been performing temporarily forgotten. "What's so fascinating about humans? Other then the fact we are technically half human."

"I suppose we are at that. Did you know they killed their gods?"

This brought out a scowl in the blonde twin. She was hardly devout, but like every elf of Naggoroth, she knew the tenants of the Cadai and the Cytharai, and knew how these living gods interacted with their people. What Elly talked about seemed impossible, almost a blaspheme. "That... what?"

"It's true. They used to have a pantheon just like ours. Not just one even; I believe over a dozen, spread over a number of centuries and across various disparate civilizations. Nothing I've read suggests it was a conscious decision, but the humans collectively decided they didn't like the role the gods played. They didn't like the constant bickering between the immortals, the wars and death these powerful beings caused wherever they were worshiped. So they killed them in the surest way possible. They stopped believing."

"They... just stopped, one day?" Scarlet felt a sense of inner turmoil at this revelation, and it reflected in her voice. Was this all the gods really were? Reflections of thoughts, beliefs, prayers and desires? Could they be undone so easily? "That doesn't make any sense."

Elly tilted her head to return her sister's gaze. She had never really got used to the red iris of the prosthetic that had replaced her sister's right eye. At least not before the events of the last few days. Now it had all become clear. "It's true, they're that fragile. The humans wanted to be rid of meddlesome gods. So they stopped believing in the multitude of gods, and instead grew a belief of a God, just one, who was All."

"But such a being... it could break the boundaries of the veil, surely! Do anything it pleased in this world or in the one beyond."

"Of course. But its existence is a paradox. Such a being could not be made without it's belief, but such a powerful being must have always existed, otherwise it is not what it claims to be."

"Alright, now you're just talking in riddles," Scarlet once more sighed, having lost interest, and turned back to her diagnostics.

"So such a being exists because they believe it does, but it also sleeps, because it must. While God sleeps, it does not meddle as the old gods did. And so the humans freed themselves."

"Why does that even matter?" Scarlet said out loud, though half to herself.

"Because, my dear sister," Ellenith said softly, a tear rolling down her cheek, "Very soon, we too will be set free."
New Naggoroth factbook

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:53 am

"Did you rest well, my love?"

The feminine voice was like honey, a sweet and rich contralto, while also full of earnest concern. It stirred the young woman from her sleep, and brought thoughts unbidden to her sore head. Slowly, she sat up, the fog of a long sleep slow to recede from her senses.

'Who does that voice belong to?' she thought, the first light of day just starting to creep in through the windows. She had awoken in a spacious bedroom, tucked under the covers of a very large four-poster canopy bed. That pale light hurt her eyes, but slowly she opened them to see who had addressed her. She thought she should recognize the speaker, but even as she looked at her, only an outline materialized, at least at first.

The figure standing in the doorway was clearly another woman. An hourglass figure that men would kill for was plainly evident, and barely concealed beneath a gossamer silken gown. Her oval, elfin face resolved itself to her swimming vision as the woman approached, revealing large, brass-coloured eyes, full lips, and a delicate nose, all beneath an impressive mane of jet black hair. 'She's... Beautiful...' was about all the young woman could think as she watched this apparent goddess approach to her bedside.

"I do hope our meager accommodations didn't disturb your rest, my darling," the taller woman said again, addressing the waking woman. In a rather stark contrast, the sleeping woman was slender, only slight curves at her hips and bust denoting her femininity. She possessed a much more plain, though still attractive face, brilliant blue eyes, and mid-length blonde hair. Her voice was another puzzle, soft and light, melodic and almost child like to any who heard it.

"N... no, I slept well... how long was I out?" she asked, a little confused as fleeting memories of a fight, and a burning room flickered across her mind's eye.

"Nearly two days, darling. But you're home now, and you're with me. We got what we needed, and your brother will pay for what he's done to you."

"My... brother?" she asked, unsure what that meant, though she did recall a gaunt elf, dressed in long robes of sapphire and gold, shouting something she couldn't hear. "What... what did he do to me?"

"Why, this body of course, my beloved," the tall woman said sadly, placing her hand on the blonde's shoulder. "This is not the body that belongs to your soul. I'm not surprised you don't remember."

"Not... my body?" she stammered, now very confused. "If it's not my body... where did I get it?"

"You died an age ago, my love. But I have brought your soul back to the world of the living," the tall woman explained, her head bowed, "Your brother constructed this body to house your soul, but I was unable to stop him before he made mockery of you, and turned the creation into... into this woman."

Shock numbed the girl's senses as she tried to cope with what the tall woman was saying to her. 'Created my body? Then... just what am I?' she tried to reason, but couldn't come up with answers.

"But there is no mistaking, that is your soul. It is you, Tyrion. Though I suppose it's Tyrea now."

"Tyrea... that sounds right," the blonde said, still in shock. "I... I don't remember your name..." she stammered, turning to give the other woman a shy smile, "I don't really remember anything, actually."

"I'm not surprised your memories didn't survive after all this time. But I forgive you. I'm Morathi, my love," the tall woman said as she leaned in close, and kissed Tyrea on the cheek.

"I'm your wife."
New Naggoroth factbook

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:00 am

The battered shuttle started to lurch and groan as the constraints of atmosphere and gravity started to take their toll on its frame. Scarlet deftly held the controls, while she calmly, almost casually, chatted with the orbital flight controllers. Unlogged foreign ships were not that uncommon, but the naggorothi officer had no issues both answering the standard friend-or-foe challenges, while also doing so in the common low Roanian.

"Your accent is still as atrocious as ever," Elly quipped, a smile on her face as she sat in the co-pilot seat, enjoying the bright sunlight that filled the cabin. Both of them had buckled in for re-entry, something that was never gentle in the brick-shaped shuttle they'd been flying.

"Ha ha. As if I get to practice much," Scarlet retorted, her fingers flying across the controls as she set the ship into autopilot. "We've got about two hours until we land. I sent a comms burst to the house, telling them to send us a car."

"Did you mention..."

"Yeah, I told them it was both of us. But I also encrypted it with mom's cipher. We'll be fine, at least for now. What, do you think they've got people here, too?"

Ellenith looked glum, "They might. I can't really say for sure. So we'll just have be careful. Which reminds me..." she trailed off as she unbuckled her belt, and went back to the aft cabin.

"Just what are you doing now?" Scarlet said, eyes rolling as she followed.

"Just a little daemonology. We could use a bodyguard, after all."

Scarlet's eyes practically bugged out of their sockets, "D... daemonology?! Just what the hell are you thinking?!"

Elly merely laughed, and started drawing a circle on the floor with some spare engine oil, "Relaaaax. It's just a small summoning ritual. And it's not quite what you think. This one's a good one."

"A good... daemon?" Scarlet didn't sound impressed, though she didn't do anything to try to stop her sister.

"A spirit of justice, as it happens. Remember what I told you about the gods? See, all the lesser are just like them. Some are good and some are bad, but they're all just reflections of our thoughts and emotions. Most of them tend to fall in line with the greater powers, but they're all unique. There," she said, the circle completed, along with a half dozen runes marked along the inner circumference. "Just stand back, and leave the talking to me," she said, beginning a sonorous chant in a language Scarlet didn't recognize.

It took several minutes, but slowly small motes of light began to appear in the cabin, each drawn to the centre of the circle. There, they started to coalesce into a single glowing orb. More and more motes appeared as Elly continued her chant, and they started to grow bigger. Finally, once enough energy had been drawn in, the central orb exploded in a flash of brilliant, blinding white light.

As the glow faded, there appeared a woman on one knee in the middle of the summoning circle. She looked like a plain elven maid to the eye; fair skin, an attractive oval face with high cheek bones, white-blonde hair held back by a thick bronze circlet. Her dress too was simple, a loose utilitarian tunic and trousers, the standard fair among lowborn or merchants. Hardly what would be conjured to mind when called a daemon or a spirit.

Ellenith looked rather proud of herself as she regarded the woman, while Scarlet stood back and remained suspicious. Both of them waited with baited breath, each curious to see what the spirit would say.

"You have summoned me to this plane, mortal," the woman finally spoke, her voice light and musical, quite pleasant to hear. She kept her head bowed as she addressed Ellenith. "What is it that thou would want of me?"

"I... seek your service, spirit of justice," Ellenith said, finding a reserve of courage as she stepped up to address the temporarily bound spirit. "I would make a pact, and keep you by my side. I have the need."

The spirit threw her head back and laughed, "You? What could you offer me, mortal? I am not some petty spirit of lust or anger, I do not crave the mortal realm so that I would traffic in souls or blood. What could you possible offer?"

"Does the chance for valour and to defend the mortal realm from your depraved kin not motivate you?" Ellenith dared ask, wondering how the spirit would take such a challenge.

"It does not," she said simply, a bored expression on her face. "As I said, spirits of my ilk do not crave the mortal realm like those depraved kin you speak of. An exchange of knowledge, perhaps, but there is little..."

Ellenith cut her off, "Then I will demand your service, spirit."

This changed the woman's demeanor, and she regarded Elly icily, her eyes narrowed, "You would attempt to shackle me? Have you found a grimoire of true names, then? You desire a noble slave?"

"I would not, no, but I would compel your service through another means," Elly spoke softly, her hand reaching up to her head. Slowly, she lifted the bandage from her eye, her gaze transfixing the spirit before them.

"Spirit," she pronounced, her voice unusually sonorous and commanding. "In the name of Asuryan, the King of the Heavens, and of Ereth Khial, the Queen of the Underworld, I command thee, lesser servant, to attend me, and to fulfill your oaths of loyalty."

The spirit was completely taken aback. She had not thought it possible for a mortal to be one of the Exalted, but here she was, displaying the power invested in her by the gods themselves! She couldn't disobey; she would submit completely to this mortal. "I... yes, of course!" she stammered, once more bowing her head. "I will serve you, Ellenith Drakharn. Your will is my command."

Elly slipped the wrapping back in place over her eye, and gave the spirit a bright smile, "Excellent! That's settled then," she took a step forward, her feet dragging across the edge of the circle, breaking it and releasing her bound servant. "You'll need a name... hmm..." Elly thought for a moment, sparing her startled sister a glance for inspiration. "Oh, how about Roka? Yes! Roka, I think that will do nicely. Now a surname..."

"Ellowuyr," Scarlet suggested as she tried to understand just what it was that Elly had done to the creature. She wasn't entirely sure why that name sprang to mind, but the details soon clicked, "That's right, they're a minor vassal house of grandfather's. We can pass her off as having been assigned to you, out of his concern for your well being. Given that you have yet to either get married or join the house military, a chaperone is to be expected of any decent noble lady, and easy to explain," she added with a laugh.

The logic was sound, even if it did make Ellenith blush and glare at her sister. "Ugh. Fine. That's better then anything I could come up with. Now you, I mean, Roka, lets see just what you can do..."
New Naggoroth factbook

Return to NationStates