NATION

PASSWORD

League of Mechanocracies 2.0 [Sign-ups/OOC/OPEN]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

Oneesans Unitatem wrote:
The Great Devourer of All wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=23&t=369057&p=27775087#p27775087

My ripoff civ index. Enjoy or don't, I don't care.

Hmn. Maybe there should be a scale just for PMT and early FT civs, on account of PMT being condensed down to almost one level, and Battlestar Galactica getting lumped with Star Trek, even though the Enterprise could rip Adama's beautiful ship to shreds.

The difficulty is that they all get their techs in different orders.

I shall meditate on this.

Actually, I very much am considering the same. I was actually thinking about creating a collaborative project where we divide tech progression into a number of scientific disciplines, allowing for asymmetrical tech development.

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Vistora wrote:I was actually thinking about creating a collaborative project where we divide tech progression into a number of scientific disciplines, allowing for asymmetrical tech development.

Yes.
Back when Aevum was going to have game mechanics, I considered something like this too. Leads me to wondering just how quickly a civilization could go from PMT to FFT. That sticking point is the only reason Alexandria-Arcus history is so gatdamn nebulous when dealing with dates.
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Oneesans Unitatem
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneesans Unitatem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Vistora wrote:
Oneesans Unitatem wrote:Hmn. Maybe there should be a scale just for PMT and early FT civs, on account of PMT being condensed down to almost one level, and Battlestar Galactica getting lumped with Star Trek, even though the Enterprise could rip Adama's beautiful ship to shreds.

The difficulty is that they all get their techs in different orders.

I shall meditate on this.

Actually, I very much am considering the same. I was actually thinking about creating a collaborative project where we divide tech progression into a number of scientific disciplines, allowing for asymmetrical tech development.

I have an idea!

A system where we score Technological Capabilities (getting less specific about technology later into the progression). Some might have some dependencies (technology tends to lead to/be required for advances in other technology), so that there's a minimum level of tech in all or most fields for a level of tech in other fields. The "cost" for each would be summed to produce a score, rather than requiring everyone to post a 7-variable vector. (Though it would also produce something like that.)

I could even make an interactive page for this to brush up on my rusty javascript.

Scale should probably go from early MT to early FT, allowing us to differentiate various MT/PMT nations.

Granularity is unclear. For instance, whether it would differentiate between fission reactors with 10,000-year waste and things like the Integral Fast Reactor with <= 500-year waste. OTOH, I'd like it to be able to differentiate between 1970, 2000, and 2025 at least.
~ Attention, citizens: safety is your new #1 priority! ~
"All on Earth as it is in Ashkera."
Big Sister's Unitatem (?T) ♥ If Ashkera became an SCP.
Don't forget your coat. It's cold outside. | Bullet train network to connect all of Terrania within 3 months, isn't that great? | Nation's dogs killed by neighboring nation again. I really hate them. | You should go to University like your father. I think you could pull it off. | I'm still working on that fungus-resistant corn at work, so just hold on with less corn a little longer, okay?

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Oneesans Unitatem wrote:
Vistora wrote:

I have an idea!

A system where we score Technological Capabilities (getting less specific about technology later into the progression). Some might have some dependencies (technology tends to lead to/be required for advances in other technology), so that there's a minimum level of tech in all or most fields for a level of tech in other fields. The "cost" for each would be summed to produce a score, rather than requiring everyone to post a 7-variable vector. (Though it would also produce something like that.)

I could even make an interactive page for this to brush up on my rusty javascript.

Scale should probably go from early MT to early FT, allowing us to differentiate various MT/PMT nations.

Granularity is unclear. For instance, whether it would differentiate between fission reactors with 10,000-year waste and things like the Integral Fast Reactor with <= 500-year waste. OTOH, I'd like it to be able to differentiate between 1970, 2000, and 2025 at least.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I wasn't planning on starting this project soon, but with nothing else really going on, I think the time is ripe. Using your modular score, we could essentially rank civilizations as equivalent, despite massively asymmetrical development paths. Some nations could have heavily developed spaceflight, yet limited biomedical tech, and so forth.

Oneesans Unitatem
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneesans Unitatem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Vistora wrote:That sounds like an excellent idea. I wasn't planning on starting this project soon, but with nothing else really going on, I think the time is ripe. Using your modular score, we could essentially rank civilizations as equivalent, despite massively asymmetrical development paths. Some nations could have heavily developed spaceflight, yet limited biomedical tech, and so forth.

Hmn. An idea to keep in mind, depending on granularity: there are "trunk" or "branch" technologies/fields, and "leaf" techs. For instance, you need better Materials Science for better Aircraft, but if you just decide to spend /nothing/ on Aircraft, it won't have much effect on Computers.
Don't forget your coat. It's cold outside. | Bullet train network to connect all of Terrania within 3 months, isn't that great? | Nation's dogs killed by neighboring nation again. I really hate them. | You should go to University like your father. I think you could pull it off. | I'm still working on that fungus-resistant corn at work, so just hold on with less corn a little longer, okay?

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Oneesans Unitatem wrote:
Vistora wrote:That sounds like an excellent idea. I wasn't planning on starting this project soon, but with nothing else really going on, I think the time is ripe. Using your modular score, we could essentially rank civilizations as equivalent, despite massively asymmetrical development paths. Some nations could have heavily developed spaceflight, yet limited biomedical tech, and so forth.

Hmn. An idea to keep in mind, depending on granularity: there are "trunk" or "branch" technologies/fields, and "leaf" techs. For instance, you need better Materials Science for better Aircraft, but if you just decide to spend /nothing/ on Aircraft, it won't have much effect on Computers.

I'm guessing you were thinking of a Civ-style tech tree/web. While my method does take much inspiration from that, I was thinking more along the lines of several parallel continuums, each representing a broad field of science. They could merge and split depending how far down on progresses along the lines, but the general idea remains that, at any point in time, you would set your nation's tech level at different places along each continuum, somewhat independent of one another.

Oneesans Unitatem
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneesans Unitatem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Vistora wrote:
Oneesans Unitatem wrote:

I'm guessing you were thinking of a Civ-style tech tree/web. While my method does take much inspiration from that, I was thinking more along the lines of several parallel continuums, each representing a broad field of science. They could merge and split depending how far down on progresses along the lines, but the general idea remains that, at any point in time, you would set your nation's tech level at different places along each continuum, somewhat independent of one another.

I wasn't at first, but I did think of that complication later.

Originally, I was going to say "You can't have any techs more than X lower than your highest tech." That's more of a Modern Tech concern, though. Things like cruise missiles and UAVs depend on computers, as does the speed of development in other fields.

However, progress by broad fields... hmn. Well, here's a thought: is it granular enough to differentiate between Nayba and Sarif?
Last edited by Oneesans Unitatem on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greatest Canaan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greatest Canaan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello new thread.
✡✡ KINGDOM OF GREAT CANAAN ✡✡
Literal JewSIS in space. NS stats are invalid. Nation is based on Jewish stereotypes, if offended, grow a pair.
Feel free to TG me | Sephardic Orthodox Jew | Revisionist Maximalist
שָׁלִיחַ - JEWS HAVE COLONIZED SPACE

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:20 pm

Oneesans Unitatem wrote:
Vistora wrote:

I wasn't at first, but I did think of that complication later.

Originally, I was going to say "You can't have any techs more than X lower than your highest tech." That's more of a Modern Tech concern, though. Things like cruise missiles and UAVs depend on computers, as does the speed of development in other fields.

However, progress by broad fields... hmn. Well, here's a thought: is it granular enough to differentiate between Nayba and Sarif?

I might need a more in-depth summary of the tech progression for both, particularly Nayba, but I would say so. As you point out, computers would be a prerequisite to many advanced tech, but past that, one could specialize.

Imperial Nalydya
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nalydya » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Honestly, the higher FT levels/ranks could use some fleshing out as well. I ran into some complications myself while looking over the app.
Future Tech & Proud
Imperial Nalydian Military Assessment | Factbook
Observer of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!

RIP: Polar Confederation; Laptev; CAS; FBN

[23:27] <CommunistAndroids> For a second I thought you were a woman and I was confused.
Olimpiada, On the Efficacy of Anti-matter Reactive Armour: "It's so reactive, it reacts your entire regiment into atoms."

Calamity Tiger
Attaché

Founded: Feb 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calamity Tiger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Vistora wrote:I was actually thinking about creating a collaborative project where we divide tech progression into a number of scientific disciplines, allowing for asymmetrical tech development.

(Korona Puppet)
Sounds like a good idea
❅❅❅ THE CALAMITY TIGER COLONIES ❅❅❅
Puppet of Korona Alliance
❅Z-Android News❅: Koronaverse Music Box | Added 2 New Weapons. | IC and F7 Characters merged into a single Factbook.
I DONT USE NS STATS

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Calamity Tiger wrote:

(Korona Puppet)
Sounds like a good idea

Yeah.

(To everybody else) I would like to make the REC the primary host, even though I would create a separate, dedicated thread for developing and fleshing it all out. This is primarily because I initially wanted to create the tech progression system to plug the looming hole in most tech rating scales where PMT lies. How does that sound to everybody else?

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Vistora wrote:(To everybody else) I would like to make the REC the primary host, even though I would create a separate, dedicated thread for developing and fleshing it all out. This is primarily because I initially wanted to create the tech progression system to plug the looming hole in most tech rating scales where PMT lies. How does that sound to everybody else?

Sounds suitable to me.

As for Nayba tech, I will have to consider it. They don't have Icarus, at the very least, but I should probably think of other, less convenient techs for them to be missing that they haven't bought from China yet.
第五大黒森帝国
Practice. Virtue. Harmony. Prosperity.

A secretive Dominant-Party Technocracy located in the southwest of the Pacific Ocean
Factbook: The Fifth Empire of Ashkera [2018/2030] (updated 18.04.29) / Questions
Roaming squads of state-sponsored body-builders teach nerds to lift. "Fifth generation" cruise ships come equipped with naval reactors. Insurance inspectors are more feared than tax auditors. Turbine-powered "super interceptor" police cruisers patrol high-speed highways.

Aterria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Allahu akbar!! I am here!!!
A large mixed tech / retro empire set in an Earth-like world
Currently undergoing heavy civil unrest
**Based on the old game "battlenations" (now dead), Valkyria Chronicles, Code Geass (Holy Britannian Empire), and lots of other things

IMPERIAL BROADCASTING CENTER No real news as of today

Cyborgs and Sentient Machines
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Aterria wrote:Allahu akbar!! I am here!!!

Aloha snackbar to you too.

Cyborgs and Sentient Machines
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyborgs and Sentient Machines » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:12 pm

*Guzzles oil from the snackbar*
Last edited by Cyborgs and Sentient Machines on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:11 pm

アロハスナックバー。
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Aterria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Gigaverse wrote:

アロハスナックバー。

I am writing my nation's history, have to get to the invasion occupation of Nippon in 1946. We definitely did not use nukes!
Last edited by Aterria on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Based on the old game "battlenations" (now dead), Valkyria Chronicles, Code Geass (Holy Britannian Empire), and lots of other things

Aterria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm going to use this as an example of Aterrian Propaganda circa 1945.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Imperial Nalydya wrote:Honestly, the higher FT levels/ranks could use some fleshing out as well. I ran into some complications myself while looking over the app.

Tier X: Needs extremely strong META presence outside of game world.
Tier XX: Only the moderators are of this level.
Tier XXX: Only the admins are of this level.
Tier XXXX: Only max barry is of this level.
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Aterria wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:アロハスナックバー。

I am writing my nation's history, have to get to the invasion occupation of Nippon in 1946. We definitely did not use nukes!

死にたいのか、お前

Aterria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Aterria wrote:I am writing my nation's history, have to get to the invasion occupation of Nippon in 1946. We definitely did not use nukes!

死にたいのか、お前

What you saying?

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Aterria wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:死にたいのか、お前

What you saying?

<run it thru gg translate ya schkrub>

:>

Aterria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aterria » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Aterria wrote:What you saying?

<run it thru gg translate ya schkrub>

Wow, just wow.

Calamity Tiger
Attaché

Founded: Feb 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calamity Tiger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Aterria wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:<run it thru gg translate ya schkrub>

Wow, just wow.

Too much wow for ya!

To Gigaverse
Nice Hiragana and Katakana
❅❅❅ THE CALAMITY TIGER COLONIES ❅❅❅
Puppet of Korona Alliance
❅Z-Android News❅: Koronaverse Music Box | Added 2 New Weapons. | IC and F7 Characters merged into a single Factbook.
I DONT USE NS STATS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates