NATION

PASSWORD

International Space Agency (Dead)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Legatia
Minister

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Legatia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Shyluz wrote:
Legatia wrote:Baldapehlva, did you just launch a rocket inside the shuttle's cabin?

Logical, safe decisions are logical and safe. :p

Logical and safe decisions that could, if it hit just in the right place, immediately kill every single person inside the shuttle.

Post incoming.

Blorbs
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blorbs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Shyluz wrote:
Legatia wrote:Baldapehlva, did you just launch a rocket inside the shuttle's cabin?

Logical, safe decisions are logical and safe. :p

Yeah. Better check the pressure levels inside the ship after that or it might explode XD
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space - each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
- Randall Munroe

Citta di Lancastro
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Citta di Lancastro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Member Application

Full Nation Name: Dictatorate della Città di Lancastro
Grand Dictatorship of the City of New Lancaster
Head of State: Dictator of the State Harry Siegel

Are you willing to allow the ISA to use any facilities your nation owns? If so, what are they?: The Manhattan Center for Space Exploration and Nuclear Physics is open to the organization.
Money pledged to the ISA annually: 40,000,000 NSD
Type of Membership desired: Full Citizenship

(If applicable, answer below. If not, ignore.)
Name of Space Agency: Manhattan Center
Type (Public, private, etc.): Private
Annual budget (NSD): 3 billion NSD
Location of Headquarters: Lancastro, Citta di Lancastro
Location of Mission Control: Manhattan, Citta di Lancastro

Why does your nation want to join the ISA?: The alliance for the purpose of Space Exploration and colonization will be beneficial to the both of our factions, and the City believes they can contribute a sizable amount to the agency.
Land of Spaghetti and Never Forghetti

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Citta di Lancastro wrote:
Member Application

Are you willing to allow the ISA to use any facilities your nation owns? If so, what are they?: The Manhattan Center for Space Exploration and Nuclear Physics is open to the organization.

Why does your nation want to join the ISA?: The alliance for the purpose of Space Exploration and colonization will be beneficial to the both of our factions, and the City believes they can contribute a sizable amount to the agency.

A few questions.

Your app has a few notable discrepancies. I assume by "Full Citizenship" you mean membership? Also, is your nation composed of a city? Is your space agency named "Manhattan Center", as well, because that seems more like a location than a program name. Not to be rude, I'm just checking.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 pm

AWRIGHT, here's the full application, fixed.

Member Application

Full Nation Name: Nation of Lafayette
Head of State: Alice Moniri

Are you willing to allow the ISA to use any facilities your nation owns? If so, what are they?: Yes; We are a small nation, but have lots of our budget go to scientific research. Therefore, we have a warm-weather launch site, an outer space laboratory and construction hanger, and a hydrogen fuel laboratory. The fuel laboratory is dangerous and located far away from the populace.
Money pledged to the ISA annually: 15 Billion NSD
Type of Membership desired: Regular(?)

Name of Space Agency: Laffian Space Agency
Type (Public, private, etc.): Public
Annual budget (NSD): 70 BIllion NSD
Location of Headquarters: Salmandet Island
Location of Mission Control: Salmandet Island

Why does your nation want to join the ISA?: I have always been interested in space, and I always have loved the idea of space travel. I hope that this organization, after it completes the task at hand, will be able to continue in its development of space.
Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America in 2016! (Seriously, look him up; you won't regret it.)
Political Compass- Economic Left/Right -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.9

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Nation of Lafayette wrote:AWRIGHT, here's the full application, fixed.

Member Application

Are you willing to allow the ISA to use any facilities your nation owns? If so, what are they?: Yes; We are a small nation, but have lots of our budget go to scientific research. Therefore, we have a warm-weather launch site, an outer space laboratory and construction hanger, and a hydrogen fuel laboratory. The fuel laboratory is dangerous and located far away from the populace.
Type of Membership desired: Regular(?)

Why does your nation want to join the ISA?: I have always been interested in space, and I always have loved the idea of space travel. I hope that this organization, after it completes the task at hand, will be able to continue in its development of space.

You still need to choose the proper membership you'd like. As soon as you do, you're accepted.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Legatia wrote:
Nation of Lafayette wrote:AWRIGHT, here's the full application, fixed.

Member Application

Type of Membership desired: Full Membership

You still need to choose the proper membership you'd like. As soon as you do, you're accepted.

Aww crap. Sorry, I forgot to change that. Full Membership. I changed it on the application too.
Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America in 2016! (Seriously, look him up; you won't regret it.)

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Nation of Lafayette wrote:
Legatia wrote:

Aww crap. Sorry, I forgot to change that. Full Membership. I changed it on the application too.

All right. Accepted.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Legatia wrote:
Nation of Lafayette wrote:Aww crap. Sorry, I forgot to change that. Full Membership. I changed it on the application too.

All right. Accepted.

Thank you.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Legatia, can you post a link to the IC on the original post?

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Nation of Lafayette wrote:Legatia, can you post a link to the IC on the original post?

The link to the IC is on the third post, but there is a form a few pages back that you need to fill out before you can participate.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Character Name: Markus Hauun
Character Nationality: Lafian
Potition on Venture: Medical Doctor, Engineering Enthusiast

Extras: Markus graduated from the Amanda Salmandet Institute of Technology with a doctorate in medicine and is a qualified general surgeon. He minored in electrical engineering, which is his hobby back on earth. He couldn't bring any of his creations to space, unfortunately, because they weighed too much. After training in Lafayette for this mission, he is finally up here. He lives alone, but he misses his work space on earth where he doesn't have to make sure that drops of things don't fly through the air and hurt someone. His ambitions for space are to see the Laffian government have a space station in orbit, but knows that it is impossible.
Last edited by Nation of Lafayette on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Legatia wrote:
Nation of Lafayette wrote:Legatia, can you post a link to the IC on the original post?

The link to the IC is on the third post, but there is a form a few pages back that you need to fill out before you can participate.

Ah, ok. Sorry, a lot of RPs have the links at the top.

Citta di Lancastro
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Citta di Lancastro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Legatia wrote:
Member Application

A few questions.

Your app has a few notable discrepancies. I assume by "Full Citizenship" you mean membership? Also, is your nation composed of a city? Is your space agency named "Manhattan Center", as well, because that seems more like a location than a program name. Not to be rude, I'm just checking.

The first is a derp on my part, as I was distracted by something when I typed that one.

Lancastro is composed of two main cities, Lancastro and Manhattan, and the surrounding countryside, around 400 or so square feet.

The space program is called the Manhattan Center, as it is not a government administered organization despite getting funds from the City.

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Legatia wrote:
A few questions.

The first is a derp on my part, as I was distracted by something when I typed that one.

Lancastro is composed of two main cities, Lancastro and Manhattan, and the surrounding countryside, around 400 or so square feet.

The space program is called the Manhattan Center, as it is not a government administered organization despite getting funds from the City.

Can you tell me more about your Manhattan Center for Space Exploration?

Citta di Lancastro
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Citta di Lancastro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Legatia wrote:
Citta di Lancastro wrote:The first is a derp on my part, as I was distracted by something when I typed that one.

Can you tell me more about your Manhattan Center for Space Exploration?

It was founded around 1880 in Manhattan before Lancastro became independent by a handful of scientists and gentry who had interests in their developments. They first specialized in weapons development, attempting to create more efficient small arms and cannons, and their research was used by the Italian League in their war for independence in 1905. They switched over to Nuclear Physics in 1932, creating Lancastro's first weapon of mass destruction 12 years later. During the 1960s and 70s, they started investing in Space Exploration, and the government purchased a large atoll near the equator for launches. They have sent their first satellite into space in 1976 and their first man in 1989.

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Member Application

Very well, accepted.

Debris has impacted Venture. Here we go.

Blorbs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blorbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Legatia wrote:
Member Application

Very well, accepted.

I have a question, is it okay if I rp that venture's comms go down? The person to person comms can stay online, but maybe a radio dish got hit by debris and cant pick up earth signals, only low distance antennas remain? If not, ill just say that the collision caused vall's cockpit to lose connection with the rest, but I personally think connection to earth going down sounds like a great RP point.
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space - each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
- Randall Munroe

Legatia
Minister

Postby Legatia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Blorbs wrote:
Legatia wrote:
Very well, accepted.

I have a question, is it okay if I rp that venture's comms go down? The person to person comms can stay online, but maybe a radio dish got hit by debris and cant pick up earth signals, only low distance antennas remain? If not, ill just say that the collision caused vall's cockpit to lose connection with the rest, but I personally think connection to earth going down sounds like a great RP point.

No. Venture's communications were nowhere near the rear of the craft, and even if they were, we still have Inspiration's newly installed communications to use. We'll have plenty of RP events, do not worry, but comms aren't going down.

Congreveopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Congreveopia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Legatia wrote:
Blorbs wrote:I have a question, is it okay if I rp that venture's comms go down? The person to person comms can stay online, but maybe a radio dish got hit by debris and cant pick up earth signals, only low distance antennas remain? If not, ill just say that the collision caused vall's cockpit to lose connection with the rest, but I personally think connection to earth going down sounds like a great RP point.

No. Venture's communications were nowhere near the rear of the craft, and even if they were, we still have Inspiration's newly installed communications to use. We'll have plenty of RP events, do not worry, but comms aren't going down.

My character isn't the one to be solving these issues in the heat of the moment because she's just the mission specialist, but here are some potential problems that might arise, and whether or not they do, mission control will probably want you to look into them:

-Fire in the damaged section.
-Fuel leak [RCS leak already occurring]
-Damage to pressurized containers/pipes in the area (fuel, Oxygen, etc.)

Additionally, one of the pilots might want to shut down electricity to the rear of the shuttle quickly. Electrical shorts would be a really good way for something to catch fire if anything involving Oxygen (like, say, dinitrogen tetroxide from the RCS system) happened to be leaking nearby. (Then again, seeing as dinitrogen tetroxide spontaneously reacts with monomethylhydrazine, maybe it doesn't matter if we shut off the power).

The specific propellants I mentioned there assume our RCS behaves like the US Space Shuttle. Buran's GOX/LOX/Kerosene system might be closer to what a space agency would design today. I'm not sure. Either of them could catch fire.
"Close air support covereth a multitude of sins." - Maxim 4

Congreveopia is an advanced MT nation, managed by the artificial superintelligence known as "Nexus". It is very active in global affairs, and loves manipulating nations to steer the future of the world.
Links:
Equator Confederation wrote:Congreveopia has spoken. Do it now.
Vancon wrote:Enter Cong, the smartest of our bunch.
The United Remnants of America wrote:Except for Cong, whom I'm now decently sure is a superhuman being we should probably be worshipping.

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:45 pm

How many airlocks are on the Venture? I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Blorbs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blorbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Nation of Lafayette wrote:How many airlocks are on the Venture? I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Its kept arbitrary so people have more RP freedom. I would say 2 other than the one at the bay which has been exploded, but the exact amount doesn't matter too much
- Randall Munroe

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Blorbs wrote:
Nation of Lafayette wrote:How many airlocks are on the Venture? I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Its kept arbitrary so people have more RP freedom. I would say 2 other than the one at the bay which has been exploded, but the exact amount doesn't matter too much

I think that two is a good amount. I heard a story once how an astronaut and a cosmonaut on the ISS were making repairs to the ISS, but when they tried to go back in, the airlock wouldn't pressurize, so they found a way to kind of turn the sleeping modules into an airlock. I guess they removed a window or something and climbed in through that, sealed it back up and opened the module door, which was obviously sealed.

Blorbs
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blorbs » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Congreveopia wrote:
Legatia wrote:

My character isn't the one to be solving these issues in the heat of the moment because she's just the mission specialist, but here are some potential problems that might arise, and whether or not they do, mission control will probably want you to look into them:

-Fire in the damaged section.
-Fuel leak [RCS leak already occurring]
-Damage to pressurized containers/pipes in the area (fuel, Oxygen, etc.)

Additionally, one of the pilots might want to shut down electricity to the rear of the shuttle quickly. Electrical shorts would be a really good way for something to catch fire if anything involving Oxygen (like, say, dinitrogen tetroxide from the RCS system) happened to be leaking nearby. (Then again, seeing as dinitrogen tetroxide spontaneously reacts with monomethylhydrazine, maybe it doesn't matter if we shut off the power).

The specific propellants I mentioned there assume our RCS behaves like the US Space Shuttle. Buran's GOX/LOX/Kerosene system might be closer to what a space agency would design today. I'm not sure. Either of them could catch fire.

(Maybe were using Nitrous oxide like the old days (60s, I belive), that won't catch on fire XD. Of course we aren't, but, I don't know maybe XD)
Last edited by Blorbs on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Randall Munroe

Nation of Lafayette
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nation of Lafayette » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Blorbs, I can see why Jeb blacking out would add suspense, but people black out from CO2 poisoning, not escaping oxygen, unless Jeb is like hyperventilating or having a heart attack.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates