NATION

PASSWORD

Gaze of the Abyss [Closed RP]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crimmond
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Gaze of the Abyss [Closed RP]

Postby Crimmond » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Fisk, being the large man he was, lit up as soon as food was mentioned. He gives his order to the waiter, who is wide eyed by the end of it. "Three large steaks. Medium. No seasonings other than black pepper. One large lobster tail... if you don't have that, then make it two smaller tails. To drink... Sweetened tea. And extra sugar on the side, in case it's not sweet enough."

He turned towards the hosts. "I have a question for you, General... how much have you been keeping up with the happenings on Earth? The rise and fall of alliances and such..."
Being More Awesome Than You Since March 26, 2003.

Third Founding Lord of Gholgoth

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:41 pm

“Our familiarity with the current happenings on the planet Earth is similar to that of any planet of medium importance to the Empire,” General Valkare explained. “We receive the intelligence and activity reports, examine them, and file them accordingly.” He paused, taking a sip of his drink. “Admittedly, I don’t personally keep up with the day to day happenings of the planet, but we have people on it.”
Founded: March 12th, 2003

Crimmond
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Fisk chuckles at that last statement. "Yes, I know you do. I suppose then that it hasn't gone unnoticed that the Empire of Crimmond has a long standing alliance with one of your Empire's old rivals... Damien Dreadfire. I don't mean to make the discussion too serious, but it might be useful to get that out of the way now, in case any lingering rivalries have been passed down through the generations."

Leaning back in the chair, which creaked a tad in protest of the weight it was enduring, he accepted his tea and tasted it, before dumping three spoonfuls of sugar into it. One wonders how his organs manage to carry his weight with such habits.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:46 pm

“We are aware of your Empire’s involvement with Damien Dreadfire and harbor no ill will towards either of you for it,” General Valkare replied. “I’m sure there are others here who have befriended former enemies of the Empire. We are not currently involved in any form of alliance and have not been for eleven years now. We are not ones to dictate who you associate yourselves with.”

“With each regime chance, new opinions are brought into the forefront and old prejudices are abandoned,” Eric Esthar added. “Emperor Graav of the Empire’s GDODAD era and Emperor Nemerov of the Empire’s Order of the Seraphim era certainly had turbulent relations with Mr. Dreadfire, but Emperor Bivens has held no such ill-will in his eleven-year reign.” He smiled, not meaning to sound scolding. “But if we could stay away from policy until after dinner it would be appreciated.”

Skeelzania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeelzania » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:52 pm

At the mention of dinner, all of the Skeelzanians turned predatorily towards the table. The three took seats to the right of their hosts, with Sebeksberg closest to the Orions, followed by Zemstaldt and then Drachenson. The young lieutenant paused as he was pulling out his chair, and turned towards Sebeksberg. “Ah, unless you would rather have me attending you and the Captain, Ambassador.”

Iskander waved with one hand, the other already tucking a napkin into his collar. “Nonsense, Lieutenant. We are all guests here. Take your seat. I’m sure the Orions are more than prepared to wait on all of us. See? Here’s one now.”

Not so much looking up at but turning in his seat to face the waiter, Sebeksberg began the ordering. “I myself will have whatever range of Orion dishes the chef feels proudest of. I leave the matter of drink to him as well, so as not to have the choice of beverage clash with the choice of dish. Though simple water until then will suffice. Captain?”

“If you have any notable dishes of poultry on this world, I will have that.” Zemstaldt paused for a moment, listening to the babble and commotion of the others taking their seats and ordering. “Also, I would appreciate a plate of grilled vegetables, again local. I will drink whatever the Ambassador has.”

“Steak, please,” Temur asked definitively when the waiter reached him. “Well done. And whatever local beer the chef would recommend.”

With the waiter departing, Sebeksberg turned his attention back to the rest of the gathering, and specifically the conversation between Fisk and the Orions. Hearing Esther speak of regime changes, the Skeelzanian could not help but nod emphatically and interject. “Well said, Director. Too often it is forgotten that diplomacy is not the discourse between monolithic states, static and unchanging, between the people who make up those nations. And anyone who fails to recognize that people come and go, that ideas are replaced, has no place in politics.”

The other two Skeelzanians remained silent, waiting for their dinner.

Crimmond
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Fisk chuckles again and seems satisfied with the sugar content of drink, after his spoonfuls. "Yes, but there are some ideas that can die harder than others... and there have been rivalries between nations going back generations before. I'm just not much of a small-talker. That tends to be the case with security experts like myself."

Shifting in the seat, which still groaned on occasion, he looked over the Orions. "So, moving from policy... what compelled you people to bulldoze your world and make it all one big city?" He asks with just a hint of a smile, to indicate it wasn't said to cause offense.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:07 pm

General Valkare and Eric Esthar, both history buffs in the greatest sense of the phrase, exchanged both glances and smiles. Fisk had touched on a subject they both had a certain affinity for, and it took a moment for them to silently decide who would proceed. Ultimately, Eric gave way to his superior, and Valkare began then explanation.

“In order for humanity to win the great Machina War,” Valkare stated, “General James Fox had to unite the six nations of Steel Butterfly under a single banner. Following his unprecedented and unpredicted victory, he was unanimously appointed “supreme ruler” by the generals of all the countries. Fox soon changed his title to Emperor, and the Empire of Steel Butterfly was born, the first world-wide government the planet had ever seen.” The general paused, taking another sip of his drink, and yielded the floor to Eric.

“Over a hundred years later,” Eric explained. “The Empire began the first of two ‘Great Expansions’ in our Empire’s history, conquering various less technologically advanced nations and planets across the sector and uniting them under the Imperial flag. With the planet of Steel Butterfly both the capital and the most technologically advanced world at the time, immigrants flocked towards the world for both a higher standard of living and the chance for a new life.” He took a deep breath, and then continued. “Over time, more and more worlds were conquered, leading to more and more immigrants, who all required more and more factory jobs, office buildings, and apartment complexes, that the city ultimately overtook the planet.”

“After the entire planet was covered,” Valkare picked up. “Even including expansive bridges and buildings over some waterways, there was no where else to expand but up. As it stands now, there are four distinct levels of the city, including the unfortunate slums on the surface, the industrial sector above them, the city main, which has access to the sky and is what you see out the window, and Monarch Heights, the capitol, where we are now. The ‘Heights is the only level that does not stretch across the entire planet, and is instead a much smaller community, hovering above all but the highest buildings of the city proper.”

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 am

“How on earth is the atmosphere maintained with such a world-spanning city?” Hilcrest commented as he had taken a seat somewhere at the table, preferably somewhere near the Dominion or Largentian delegates. “Removing all of the greenery is bound to do enormous damage to the ecosphere and having the odd green park would never be able to cover up the pollution and lack of open space in comparison to a city. And what was the Machina War?”

He marvelled a little at the scale, but the idea of a whole city being a planet would surely see it stripped bare of it’s atmosphere, and hauling in water and atmosphere would be a pointless waste.

“I’ll go with whatever a tourist would have for their first visit to the Orion Sector.” Hillcrest said rather absentmindedly to the Waiter, who soon flicked away again.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am

[OOC: Work with me here, lol. I =/= scientist]

“The technology implemented on Steel Butterfly for the purposes of atmospheric reclamation is some of the most advanced in the entire Empire,” Director of State Affairs Victor Braddock explained. “Its creation existed to ensure that the planet's atmosphere did not become laden with the large amount of toxic gases and chemicals produced by its planet-wide city. It had become necessary because while the water supplies were preserved, there was no longer any arable land left on the entire planet. Development had eliminated all of Steel Butterfly's plant life, which had once helped to maintain the air quality.” He ran his hand through his hair, scratching his scalp as he did so. “This was done in two main ways. A large number of the atmospheric stations employed genetically engineered organisms that could consume toxic gases and chemicals. Likewise, mechanical drones scan the skies on a regular basis with the same purpose.”

“As far as the Machina War,” General Valkare chimed in, “It truly is one of the defining moments of the Orion Sector as a whole. Over a thousand years ago, much of society on Steel Butterfly depended on artificial intelligence. What is now fodder for science fiction writers throughout the sector was once a very real reality for their ancestors. The Machina drove humanity to extinction, and it was only through the leadership of James Fox, the uniting of the nations, and the use of the Machina’s own developmental weaponry against them that humanity overcame the obstacles set before them and won.”

“Oddly enough,” Eric added, “The development of advanced artificial intelligence is still outlawed, in all forms, within the Orion Sector. It is one of the oldest laws the Empire has, written by James Fox himself as his first act as Emperor.”

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am

“Well now, it seems we can continue our discussions over dinner,” Calabrese said, as he rejoined the group in time for the announcement.

The Dominion representatives took places opposite one another at the table, one couple to a side of the circle, midway down - all the better to mingle. Each gentleman pulled out a chair for the lady, making sure they were comfortably settled before taking seats themselves.

Being rather well-acquainted with new experiences given their positions, both of the men chose to ‘be surprised’ with some of the local cuisine, as did the lovely Miss Villanova. Sofia requested the same, with the addendum that it not be ‘too spicy’ if possible, with all four asking for a good appropriate wine to accompany their dishes.

Calabrese in particular listened to the more sensitive talk that began the table session, filing details away for later examination, though chose, as his hosts had requested, not to comment. Their own position opposite some of those organizations was well-documented after all, and in truth, by comparison, the Dominion group was rather alone in this gathering as it was.

He and Bernardo agreed on one point in particular – this was an opportunity for new starts, new opportunities, and the difficulties of the past, considering the years of quiet and non-confrontation, was likely best left in the past. Remembered certainly, but not dwelt on to the point of distraction.

They all listened quietly for the first while, as their hosts explained part of their history and the reasons behind the current state of their planet. Yes, it did seem that there had been rather an aversion to nations such as Zero-One, back in the day, and AI’s in general if Calabrese recalled rightly at least. Oddly, developing sentient artificial life was rather frowned on in the Dominion as well, but for entirely different reasons. It was hard to consider creating something that in essence stood on the same level as some of your allies. Not to mention, feeling a bit … presumptuous.

The temptation to ask what their stance was now on relationships with such nations was eating at him, but he chose to let it alone until later. Of course, to the entire party, not taking care of business over dinner was a foreign concept in and of itself – in the Dominion, dinner and serious business went hand in hand, traditionally, and often sealed over a glass of fine Dominion wine. When you went to dinner with a Dominion citizen, you’d best bring your wits and be prepared to haggle.

“I would imagine your holdings provide a plethora of raw materials, unique products, and perhaps a need for the same from others?” Bernardo said, unable to resist dropping hints. “Though I believe we share a similar challenge on one of our own outlying locales – that of being a tad inhospitable. What you’ve done to overcome that is commendable – quite the accomplishment.”

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:39 am

Eric Esthar smiled broadly at Bernardo’s insinuation. In truth, while General Valkare’s interests mainly focused on the nations of Tappee and Crimmond, and Braddock was generally disinterested in all of their guests, it was the prospect of meeting with representatives of the Dominion that had interested Eric the most.

“Orion’s innovation, materials, and productions span numerous planets throughout the sector,” Eric replied, with just a hint of bragging. “However, what our forefathers took pride in we now see as limiting. The sheer amount of trade possibilities between our Empire and governments abroad overweigh any isolationist views held by the now-old guard.”

Appetizers of the usual variety assortment were brought to the table, dressed up as elegantly as food could be and distributed evenly among the guests. Braddock sneered at the food before tasting a spring roll tepidly. General Valkare placed his glass on a waiter’s plate and ordered another. Eric expanded his focus from Bernardo to the entire table.

“Tomorrow,” Eric explained. “We will be hosting a tour of the sector over lunch, in hopes to display the entire beauty of Orion and not just the city you see before you. We’ll be stopping at a handful of different planets to display the breadth of our different resources and environments. I must say that it is the part that I’m most looking forward to.”

Midlonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:00 am

A.I in Midlonia, in comparison to the Dominion and Orion Empire people was in full swing. Robots and increasingly sophisticated Artificial Intelligence was being made, born rather, every day.

It was reaching the point that the Midlonian Parliament was now actively debating equality laws with regards to artificial lifeforms and the number of Robotic entities within Midlonia was reaching the multiple hundred million mark. To find such lax abilities to control and reason with another life form, especially for a Robotics Rights Supporter such as Hillcrest was quite surprising.

“So you're telling me this amazing and complex technology, one that will see us to several planets tomorrow and maintains a city the size of a planet, does not have an intelligent computational failsafe? That A.I research and design is banned here? Completely?” Hillcrest raised a questioning eyebrow. “Doesn't that stump growth because of a lack of computational power in research and design? Having to rely on older, slower, dumb computers versus one that can assist and correct formulaic mistakes seems a little short sighted.”

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 pm

“It depends entirely on what you consider intelligent,” Eric Esthar replied. “Sentience is illegal. Fail safes, however, as you mentioned, are certainly not. There in a fine line that cannot be crossed.”

“Mr. Esthar did not misspeak,” Victor Braddock grumbled. “He said that advanced A.I is outlawed, not all.”

“These laws do not prevent us from interacting with nations and civilizations that use and support advanced forms of artificial intelligence,” Eric explained. “They simply outlaw the use of such things within the Sector.”

Crimmond
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Fisk nodded a few times during the explanation, before adding to it again. "Advanced AIs are limited in Crimmond as well. They aren't outlawed, but they have so many programming restrictions on them that it's not really worth it to make them that smart. The only exception are shipboard AIs, like the one on the cruiser I came in. They have to be that intelligent to manage the amount of input that the sensors take in. Especially in a battle. Luckily, the running of a ship normally occupies all the AI's time so it usually doesn't get bored and cause trouble... Usually. I have heard rumors that we plan on activating such an AI on Mars... but I hear rumors like that half a dozen times a day, about eight different topics." He shrugs. "I know one will never be activated on Earth, though. Too dangerous, in the Senate's mind."

"Speaking of Earth... I was wondering if you have been keeping up with the status of your nation's original stomping grounds. The area is quite habitable, after so much time. And a cleanup effort by my own nation, to clear out the problems around the old capital."

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:37 pm

“Steel Earth,” General Jack Valkare mused. “The Empire’s stronghold on the planet.” He turned to Braddock and then to Eric, addressing them. “If I remember correctly it was in the region you call Western Russia. Moscow and St. Petersburg come to mind.”

“The General is too modest,” Eric replied. “He did his final dissertation in the Academy on the failed security protecting then-Emperor Kyou Graav at the time.”

“And that dissertation was thirty years ago,” Valkare quipped. “I must say, I have taken an interest in the region’s cleanup efforts following the terrorist nuclear explosion. It is quite impressive.”

“Living on Earth must have been quite an odd experience for Orions,” Eric stated. “Even excluding Steel Butterfly, the Empire has cities here which are multiple times as large as some countries on Earth. I cannot imagine how so many competing nations can co-exist. The constant war must get exhausting.”

Skeelzania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeelzania » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 pm

“Living on Earth must be an odd experience for anyone,” declared Sebeksberg. “Name one other location within all the space-time of the multiverse with so much conflict, contention, and sheer magnitude of inhabitants. Spootology teaches us that Spoot was the linchpin of the Multiverse before its destruction, that Earth is but a shadow of its sublime complexity. But what a shadow!”

The Skeelzanian paused and took a heavy sip of his water. Huffing into his beard, he went on. “Very odd junction, Earth. Did you know that we Skeelzanians have never been able to rediscover just which fractal reality of Earth we came from? You would think with all the nations and peoples folding in and out of reality, one would eventually step forward asking where five million people went off to some eight hundred years ago.

“I hope you don’t mind, General, if I ask a question that may be construed as inquiring of policy.” He said directly to Valkare. “In your dissertation, did you by chance offer an explanation of what drew the Orions to Earth in the first place?”
Last edited by Skeelzania on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm

While the conversation had centered around the debate between legal and illegal sentience, Travis Imnel had been listening intently, choosing his words carefully, as he prepared to offer constructive points to the discourse. Then, at the mention of a nuclear terrorist attack--in an unconscious effort to comedically juxtapose their personalities--Imnel lost interest and the Duke's ears perked up. "Excuse me General, but I must plead ignorance for a moment. Am I to understand that your people's departure from Earth was a result of a nuclear terrorist attack? If so, have there ever been rumblings amongst the populace to return to your former lands? I can only speak for Largentians, but I know they would see it as a matter of pride even if there were no civilian centers reinstated."

Loosing all interest, Imnel turned to the Midlonian delegate. "Minister, I take it you are a supporter of sentient rights, are you not?"

[ooc: curses, I've been ninja'd]
Last edited by Largent on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Eric willingly ceded the floor to Jack Valkare, who was possibly the most famed person abroad from the Empire in this day and age, even more so than the Emperor himself. The General was a war hero, aptly named “Lionheart” by his men, and yet his mental savvy more than equaled his physical prowess. Still, he was humble to a fault, and the people loved him for that.

“Before Kyou Graav was Emperor,” Valkare explained to Sebeksburg. “His father, Dante Graav, ruled for a total of seventy-five years. Dante sought to expand the Empire beyond the Orion Sector, which it now completely controlled, and because of this the Empire established colonies on various worlds as an experiment. While most succeeded at various levels, the colony on Earth instead flourished and more and more people moved there for the experience.” Valkare thanked the waiter for returning with his drink. “However, on Earth, the colony could never find peace. Even with support from the homeland, even after founding one alliance in Midnight, and rising to prominence in the GDODAD, the Empire’s earth colony could not escape violence. It was during a visit that a nuclear explosion erupted, killing Dante’s son Kyou, and leveling the city of St. Petersburg.”

“Because of all the violence and wars, culminating in the nuclear attack,” Valkare continued, turning to face Imnel, “the Empire offered the colonists a choice. They could renounce their citizenship and remain on Earth, or they could be transported back to Orion and be given free housing and job placement with a local company. Most chose to leave. A few remained, although they were far from what one would call an Orion any longer.” He took a sip of his scotch-whiskey blend, pacing himself accordingly. “So as you can see, we originated from Orion, not Earth. The Earth colony was deemed a failure on epic proportions both as an investment and a colony, and while Orions are free to come and go as they please, living where they choose, there have been no real intentions of forming a new colony on the planet.”

“Besides,” Eric chuckled. “If we were to ever establish a new colony of sorts, it most certainly not be in Western Russia.” He pulled a PADD from his pocket and touched the screen a few times, bringing up a map of the Earth. “I’d much more prefer this place here, Australia. It seems to have far nicer weather.”

Midlonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 am

“Ah, it seems my modest efforts do go noticed.” Hillcrest smiled and took a larger drink from his non-alcoholic beverage that he had ordered. “Yes, I'm a member of the RRR. The Robotic Rights Runners in the Greater Kingdom. I recently spoke at the 3.0 Million Machine March that took place in Nottingham, Midlonia at the Hastings Park.

He smiled and chuckled a little, leaning back into his chair as he recollected.

“Packing 3 million robots ranging from sentient street cleaners and a gravitational warship down to secretarial Anne dash units and Connie dash diplomatic units and the Gravship's Greg dash military assistance units into a medium sized park was quite something of an organizational achievement for the RRR's leader. Connie Hug.”

He took another drink. “I first met her back on the Shining Light, our Mega station in a roughly similar orbit to Mars.” Hillcrest explained. “She was using her old last name back then, her dash number of 352.” While talking Hillcrest started to gesture quite a bit as he began to talk about an issue he was quite passionate about.

“All robots are built to similar models so we give them an overarching easy to remember first name like Greg, Connie, Anne, Martin and then a dash identifying numeric. Most of them take that as their last name and stick with it.” He shrugged.

“But in the Robotic Rights Bill,” he continued. “There's the option of adding last names, and even the last name of the family that adopts, rather than just purchases, a robot.” He took another drink. “Connie's last name apparently came from a small girl with the family that owns her because she kept hugging her. She asked for hugs all the time from Connie, so 'Connie hug!' became the main thing the child said over and over to her, eventually as a joke it started to spread and when she founded the RRR a couple of years ago that was her name on the literature.”

He sat forward again. “Of course with my party, the Conservative and Greater Kingdom Party trouncing the Midlonian Front and Labour & Communist party we're likely to pass the RRB within a few months, one of Billy's manifesto pledges after all.”

William Thomas Bucknal was the new Midlonian Prime Minister, the man was unusual in his style for a Midlonian of high office.

In the eyes of the highest Lord and King to the lowliest man on the street he was simply known, universally as “Billy” he was a strange person to have been elected leader of the CGKP. A man with a common touch and a slightly unruly appearance thanks to the mop of uncontrolled blonde hair and untucked shirts despite the cost of the suits he often wore had created an endearing and lasting image in the minds of the electorate. This was to the point that everyone just called him “Billy”.

“His approval rating, and ours is holding very steady despite the recession we've been going through the last two quarters as a result of some large scale renewal of industrial sectors.” Hillcrest explained before he took another drink. “Oh I do apologize. I do go on a bit, can tell I'm purely a politician can't you?” he chuckled heartily that time.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:12 am

“We look forward to seeing as much as you’re willing to show us,” Calabrese offered sincerely. “This promises to be quite the endeavor – our thanks for the invitation.”

“I’ll second that,” Bernardo chimed in. “I’ve been stuck in the office back home for far too long, and haven’t had the opportunity to truly get out and get a hands-on experience with many of the places we’re either involved in, or hope to be involved in. I’m rather intrigued.”

The Dominion folk chose not to speak on the AI issue, all things considered. Among some it was known just how close a relationship was shared between their leadership and certain electronic entities, among some, not so much. All the same, it was more interesting to observe in this particular case, noting the differences in opinion and acceptability, and filing facts away for later reference.

Discussion of Earth holdings was more an immediate concern – that and Mars, granted, given the Dominion’s own holdings there.

“To be fair, not everyone is embroiled in constant warring,” Calabrese noted casually. “Though some seem hardly able to keep themselves out of it regardless of the motivations involved. Some of us find Earth, and indeed, Sol-bound living quite comfortable. Of course there can be contention, and the politics can be at times, a bit … murky. As the honorable gentleman from Skeelzania has indicated, the difficulties with what we refer to as ‘broken reality’ can get more than a little confusing. Chalk it up to that, and it tends to bend the brain slightly less, at least, in spite of the annoyance of it all.”

“Indeed. Nasty business, that nuclear mess,” Bernardo offers. “We’ve had allies who’ve dealt with similar. Mars itself went through a rather catastrophic event a while back that resulted in an unprecedented effort to clean up by the various residents. I wish I had some space to offer you, but Australia is a bit out of my jurisdiction.” The last offered with a wink and a smile.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 am

“I think we’re more than content with our current locale,” Esthar said, returning Bernardo’s smile. Capitalizing on the moment, he proceeded, “Hopefully tomorrow you too will be impressed by the planets of Orion. Tourism is almost always mutually beneficial, and I’m sure we have plenty of citizens looking for new places to visit.”

All the talk of A.I. had quickly begun thoughts racing through Eric’s mind. If they truly were to open trade and tourism to new nations, then surely they would run into a situation where various forms of artificial intelligence would want to both trade and visit. While there were currently no laws prohibiting anything other than the research, manufacture, or purchase of advanced A.I., he still wondered how the general populace would take it, and if some worlds throughout the sector would be more open to the idea than others.

The arrival of food and drink soon distracted him from more serious matters, as the waiters appeared with a dish for each guest. Unless requested otherwise, strong spices, thick sauces, and various forms of fruit accompanied all dishes. Blueberries-in-sauce topped mallard, served medium rare, was given to those requesting fowl. Steaks were from steers of the Aesian planes, for their smooth textures, and were served on top of an asparagus-like vegetable along side fresh pineapple. All meats were grilled over an open flame, a staple of Orion cooking. A small side of pasta was served with every meal, and though the sauce was smooth, its bold flavor betrayed its otherwise bland appearance. Matching wines accompanied the dishes as well.

A large Barheimian lobster, similar to the Earth variety except for its light blue shading, was given to Representative Fisk from Crimmond, along side his eyebrow raising three steaks. It was seasoned in only black pepper, much to the chef’s dismay. The blueberry duck was served to Zemstaldt, along with the requested grilled local vegetables. For Sebeksburg, and the others requesting only what the chef recommended such as the Dominion representatives, a thick chop of wild Zeikden boar was presented, stuffed with a dry bleu-like cheese and ham from a different part of the pig. As a side, ears of grilled Aesian corn were stacked on plates. A potent lager was presented to Temur along side a far darker ale, in case the Skeelzanian preferred one over another. Inspired by Temur’s request, a small glass of pale witbieren was provided to each guest as well, to sample.

General Valkare, an enormous fan of Aesian beef, had received a large thick steak. It was served rare, as is most common in Orion, and came with the grilled corn as well as the asparagus-like greens. Eric Esthar had emphatically ordered the blueberry fowl, and made sure to remind everyone there that if they were unhappy with their presented dish that extra duck was prepared just in case. Not much for large amounts of protein, Victor had simply instructed the waiter to bring him two dishes of the pasta side, along with extra sauce and plenty of bread.

Crimmond
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Crimmond » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 pm

"Australia? Fah... I've seen places like that. The Sahara comes to mind. Give me Europe any day. The land has been cleaned though... and should you ever rethink that decision, the land West of the Urals has been kept clear of a national power since you left. It is considered... a protectorate. Under our sphere of influence, but not out and out annexed, like the lands of Nod were." He shakes his head slowly. "Mess of trouble, that was. With Kane gone, he left some joker named Pace in charge. Damn bastard took over Crimmond and held onto power for almost eight years. The last time we'll allow a foreign grown political group to operate in our nation, I can tell you that much."

With the arrival of the food came a grin from Fisk. He picked up his glass of tea. "To those here, those fallen... but not to those who were late for dinner." He chuckles and drains the drink, before setting it down. It was refilled in a manner of moments, but he didn't notice. He was too busy tasting his food. "Mmm... very good. The true test of a steak is how it tastes without all the marinades and seasonings. A little black pepper rub is all a fine piece of beef needs." No surprise that the man knows his food.

In between mouthfuls, he comments more on the wars. "As it stands now, there are too many wars and conflicts going on to count. As it always has been, it seems. But... overall, the Empire of Crimmond has enjoyed long periods of peace. Though we are right now engaged in a military operation against a rival alliance. It's something that's been brewing for a long time. It's actually a good thing, I think. Every nation needs a good war now and then. Keeps the military hardened and the populace feeling secure... they know for sure that they are safe when they have recent victories to look at for comfort."

Tappee
Spokesperson

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Tappee » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 am

Through most of the conversation Chuck had chosen to remain silent, after all he wasn’t technically a diplomat but more of a representative. Though he found the conversation on A.I rather interesting, he never stopped to think about how other nation viewed various issues, how they could be so different then that of his own nation.

His stomach was relieved when the food arrived, it had been reminding him for some time at just how hungry he actually was. He quickly took a few bites as the Crimmond rep spoke.

“I would like to agree with you those victories a wonderful” said Chuck in regards to the last comment. “But it has at least been my experience that if one celebrates those victories too much it gives one a false sense of security. It distracts them, even for just a moment from any potentials threats that may be lurking in the shadows waiting to strike.”

Chuck paused for a moment taking a sip of his wine. “As it has been mentioned war in one way or another, like death seems to one of the true constants of this universe. Every nation sitting at this table has army standing and waiting for day that comes when they are needed. It if you think about it rather sad, it is not a question of if any army is needed, but in fact when they are need. If every nation here were to agree free trade, open borders, free exchange of information. There would still be someone out there that would try and destroy all the hard work that we have done.”
Last edited by Tappee on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:29 am

Bernardo chuckled, and the group raised glasses to the toast offered by Fisk. “Salut! I’ll have to remember that one.”

Granted, to the Dominion folk a good cut of beef was well and good, but to their palates, it was the blend of complimentary, and sometimes complex flavors and textures that accented, not overpowered any one main ingredient. So all in all, they were quite pleasantly surprised at their meals, including the familiar addition of pasta.

Well, he certainly knows how to put a damper on things, Calabrese mused idly between bites of his meal, following the Tappee commentary. Of course they all had militaries. Of course they would be used. And of course, even in times of peace they were used as leverage. Now was probably not the time to be getting into all of that, especially after the request to keep the politicking to a minimum.

“Can’t be helped, one supposes,” he says aloud. “Though we haven’t had the displeasure of having to deal with such a situation in some time now, thankfully. At least, nothing that couldn’t be handled.”

Turning his attention to his hosts, he smiled and raised his glass. “If I may, to our most excellent hosts – your hospitality, your cuisine, and your offer to so openly welcome even those who have not traditionally been thought of as friends do you credit. I know I speak for our group at least, that we are honored to have been included.”

Tappee
Spokesperson

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Tappee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Sarah raised and lowered her glass to yet another round of toasts made by what she considered another pompous diplomat. In truth she hated state events, to her it was nothing more then an exchange of hot air and empty promises.

However, as she returned her glass back to the table top her thoughts drifted toward Charles, he had not seemed himself as of late. It was not just the trip here, ever since he had received this assignment he seemed distant to her. If was if something troublesome was weighing heavy on his mind. Even the sermon that he had just given to the whole table seemed out of place for him. As long as she had known him, Charles had always been an optimist seeing the best in people, even when they did not see it in themselves. He was always full of energy and adventure. But now he seemed older, like he was suddenly carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

She did know better then to ask him what was wrong. If she did he would say that nothing was wrong, or that it was something that he could not speak about due to security reasons. Sarah hated the fact his work was mostly clandestine in nature; it made it easy for him to keep things from her.

“Tell Me General Valkare, have you ever had the chance to spend any time in a real country side?” Her question was directed the General as he was really the only person in the room that she knew, and she wanted to get her mind off of worrying about Charles. “I mean that to have fresh air blow across your face filled with sweet sent of the local vegetation leaves some to be desired again stale air this planet or even the recycled air found on a space ship.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates