NATION

PASSWORD

Days Gone By (Closed. Tyran Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mubata
Attaché

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mubata » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by Mubata on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Misato-chan's marriage proposal! (part 2)

Postby Gylias » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-oof!"

The turn left and parking, although a bit rapid for Machiko's taste, at least brought her the relief of having ended her motorcycle journey. It had mostly been a blur of speed, curves, and hanging on for dear life. (At least, it felt that way to her.) She looked blandly ahead in a daze, still processing the fact that they had come to a stop.

Misato had already gotten off the bike, putting down the kickstand and removing her helmet. She allowed a moment for her hair to spill dramatically out of the helmet — if it was morning it would've been a perfect time to hold a pose with the sun behind her for a bit.

Laughing, she gently patted her dazed girlfriend. "<Ah, Machiko, Machiko,>" she said, "<it's like you screamed all the way going in!>" She mimed cleaning one of her ears with her finger, closing the eye closest to it to make the visual aspect of the joke complete.

"<Yeah, well,>" said Machiko, regaining her composure, "<it's like you took all the detours!>"

"<Come on, darling, I only took most of them.>"

Misato removed her gloves and stored them safely. She pulled the motorbike closer to the streetlight nearby and then tied it to the pole with a chain and a lock.

Machiko blinked, and still seemed not all there. She looked at the pavement wearily and gently, nervously, brought one of her feet into contact with it. Then the other. She held her arms wide, as if pretending to be an airplane, and then rubbed her head.

Misato, smiling, came over and embraced her girlfriend, kissing her on the forehead and stroking her hair. She whispered, "<It's fine, Ma-chan. The ground won't hurt you. Your girlfriend's with you.>"

Machiko reciprocated the hug and her face started to light up again, with her mouth's edges curving upwards. "<I... I know, Misato.>", she whispered back. "<I... know, haha. I'm not scared of ground.>"

She coughed slightly.

"<Sorry, I still need a bit to regain the voice.>", she joked.

"<Don't worry, don't worry, it'll come back.>", Misato responded in kind. The two started towards the restaurant they had parked next to, Machiko still leaning slightly on Misato for support.

Misato had chosen one of Mishawaka's gourmet restaurants for the honours tonight: Bharys. As Gylians collectively felt about their way to some mixture of prosperity, anarchism, and reconciliation of equality and splendour, so did industries such as eateries cast about for their place in it, and many of them had found their own niches or roles. Bharys mainly served French cuisine and had done their best to evoke a similar kind of chic Francophone atmosphere — Françoise-Renée would have been proud. It had a decor that unabashedly worshipped Arts Nouveau and Deco, and its food leaned heavily on the gourmet end of the scale.

And yet thanks to the NPB, anyone could eat there.

Misato and Machiko rather took this for granted.

Entering Bharys, they took one of the available tables, by the window. The staff of the place wore the kind of casual clothes — T-shirts, pants, skirts, the like — that brought people back down to earth if they got too high off the surroundings. Misato's choice to continue wearing her red motorcycle jacket loosely over her brown cocktail dress fit quite easily into this context. Their window offered them a nice view of the street.

After they settled in and began perusing the menu, Misato remarked, "<It's good to see you returning to your normal colour, Machiko.>"

"<Oh?>", Machiko replied. "<How do you mean?>"

"<Well, when you got off the motorbike you were pale as a feather.>"

Machiko smiled gently, a little blush contouring her face, and nodded. "<Yes, that doesn't surprise me...>"

"<Or a ghost!>", Misato interrupted.

Machiko chuckled slightly.

Misato continued her train of thought out loud. "<Or a... ghost feather?>"

Machiko giggled, her mouth now behind her hand.

"<A feather ghost?>" Misato briefly dropped eye contact, blinking and looking out the corners of her eyes, now talking to herself rather than her girlfriend. "<Wait, how would that even work?>"

Machiko laughed. "<I imagine they would be like any other tsukumogami.>", she said.

Misato thought for a second, and then nodded. "<Yeah, they would. I dunno why I missed that just now. I suppose nobody drew them yet.>"

The two settled on their foods, and ordered them. They passed the time chatting, waiting for their foods to arrive. Machiko sometimes was more involved, sometimes she laid back more and just listened to her girlfriend. Misato did the same.

The food, when it arrived, was great, and they savoured it as much as they did their conversation. Misato drank a bit of wine to go with it, but otherwise left well alone. She wasn't really a drinker. It was more of a funny topic for songwriting than something she really did.

Following the dinner, they bundled onto Misato's motorcycle once again; she drove Machiko to her place first before going home. This time, she drove more calmly — that and Machiko had already adjusted her expectations based on the arrival, which made for an overall pleasant trip.

Once they arrived, Misato accompanied Machiko to her flat, and they continued to talk amongst themselves. Reclining on the sofa as Machiko used the bathroom, Misato said, "<I'm glad you had a good time tonight, love.>"

"<Yes!>", Machiko called out from the bathroom, whose door was open. "<Loved it! It was brilliant. We need to do this more often!>"

"<I'm sure we will!>", Misato replied back, hand next to her mouth as she spoke slightly louder to be heard. She then smiled knowingly.

When Machiko came back into the room, having removed her cosmetics and clothes and crashing on the bed, Misato said, "<Machiko?>"

"<Yes?>"

"<We should marry. Would you like that?>"

Machiko was speechless for a moment, and took a good few seconds to process the question, mouth slightly agape as she stared at her girlfriend. In return, Misato just grinned and scratched the back of her head.

Machiko smiled and said serenely, "<Yes, Misato. I would like that.>"

Misato responded by thrusting her hands in the air victoriously and exclaiming, "Ya!". She then got up spontaneously and did a victory dance. It was rather silly, and Machiko liked it.
Last edited by Gylias on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quen Minh
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

1995 August 15

Postby Quen Minh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

My most lovely An,

I finally got the chance to write to you after days of fighting, and it is just a relief thinking about you as I'm writing this. I'm currently in Hung Cai, sitting apart from my friends at an armored personnel carrier, all relieved that we're able to get some rest before being moving again to the West. I've even attached this photo of us posing after the battle to the letter, so that you'll know that all of us are doing fine.

Anyways, I read from your last letter that you have gotten us a new pet. What a nice Ridgeback! I'm certainly glad that he's able to accompany you well without any trouble. Hopefully, I'll be able to see and play with him once this war ends.

I can't write much longer since my friends might be able to play with this letter like last time. I'll be keeping this photo of you and the dog at all times, and I'll be sure not to lose it at any cost. Keep your faith in me returning. I love you, babe.

Yours Truly,
Khải
Last edited by Quen Minh on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tis' best that you call my nation Quenmin.

"It is a useless life that is not consecrated to a great ideal” - Jose Rizal

“You call me a legendary general, but I think I’m no different from my soldiers" - Võ Nguyên Giáp

"Learning never exhausts the mind" - Leonardo da Vinci

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Pargesia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pargesia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:42 am

|| The New Strade Lighthouse ||
Not really in New Strade. In fact, it is outside city limits, but people call it the same.

Maldorian Beach
Number 2, Seaside Road

"I saw something, right above a tree."

A house, two storey and at least a dozen windows. Wooden, bricked and painted sky blue and white. The man who built this house wanted it to complement his surroundings, perfect colors for a home on a cliff next to the sea. He was lucky to have bought the land immediately after the local authorities demolished the old lighthouse that stood on the cliff. Lucky to have a good eye, a wife.

"Is that a man, who could it be?"

The man and his wife, in a house on a beach by the sea. They have children and raised them, adults with their very own lives in the deep jungle of glass towers and various noises. A life the man and his wife did not like and so they stayed, even if they were invited by their children to join them.

"I stopped to take a looksie."

Life is not just life, it is death too. But the creation of life and itself continues, new lives created and old lives taken away every day. Life that the man, now old, does not like.

"But the man, who could it be,"

"Tim, where are you?!" An old man shouted, stumbling on the rocky flat of his lawn. He lost sight of his grandson after talking with the mailman on today's hearsay, a subject he found interesting than newspapers like The National Shoutyman or any unopened mail from the local Christian church waiting for him. Then a boy appeared, emerging slowly as he panted and climbed up from down the road that led to town. 'The Boy' shouted "Here Pa!" And then, "Where have you been?" asked 'The Old Man', stern in his look at the approaching boy who seemed unsure to his elder's question. "I was visiting. Um. A friend." The Boy answered, looking down on the road pavement. The Old Man took The Boy's chin with his right hand.

The Old Man's index, forefinger and thumb held The Boy's chin as he darted at his eyes. He inspected The Boy's face, wondering if this 'Friend' has done anything to The Boy. And he found nothing. The Old Man released The Boy's face, mostly satisfied and still concerned.

"Now, you're not supposed to go out at this time. It is still seven o'clock, you're allowed to go out at eight." The Old Man proclaimed, reaffirming one of his rules on The Boy. "But what's the difference? It's just dozen of minutes awa-" The Boy said, interrupted and unable to finish what he was saying as he was pulled by his grandfather inside 'The House', 'Number 2'. The Boy scratched the right arm of The Old Man with his hands, being pulled by the ears is not really pleasant but what would an old man know? He did the same to his son, The Boy's father, when he was in The Boy's age.

"DIFFERENCE DOESN'T MATTER, what's important is that you disobeyed MY rules. AND you're JUST TEN YEARS-OLD!" The Old Man declaimed. He Ignored The Boy's scratches, it was harmless. If anything, the Boy's 'scratching' is best described as 'wiping'. The Old Man snorted as he listened to that jazz music that kept playing, just coming from inside his house. He said, "Hmm. Radio's not loud enough."

Whitebeach Provincial District
Whitebeach Lighthouse, 2 Seaside Road

"I saw something, right above a tree."

A man from the Provincial District Center walked towards the lighthouse, ready to inspect the facility. The local authorities are concerned of the recent reports of break-ins nearby. Any damage to the lighthouse's beacon might trouble, not only the town and the political careers of relevant authorities, but the ships that are guided by this enlightening tower. It is enough for them to maintain the entire place with provincial treasury despite the fact that it was the capital's immediate response to some sinking ship in the area.

He could hear the radio on. Unknown to the Man From The Municipal Hall, a somebody turned it on. Something is waiting inside.

"Was nowhere to be seen."

The Man entered the lighthouse. He turned on his flashlight and cleared the darkness in front of him, at least everything the flashlight can illuminate wherever he pointed it at.

"I saw a man, right above a tree."

Something moved up the winding stairs, The Man noticed. He is unsure stared at the stairs that led towards the lighthouse's beacon up high. He checked out the rust on the stairs, red and prominent, a warning as it seems.

"Is that a man, what could it be?"

Suddenly.

"Grrrrrrr."

The Man noticed.

"Looked at me and screamed."

The Man looked up, carefully approaching the stairs, unaware of what is up there, afraid of whatever it is.

"I saw a man, right above a tree."

"Grrrrrrr."

The Man noticed. Something began to move downward.

"Looked and took me."

The Man ran outside and closed the door, tripped on a rock and rolled down several feet down the hill. He grasped the soil below his hands. He looked back at the lighthouse, only to see a silhouette at the top. Menacingly looking at him as emphasized every time the light shines at it as it slowly revolves.
Last edited by Pargesia on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hi! I am the RPer behind the
Kingdom of Pargesia: Factbook

Gylias
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

The Constitution of Gylias

Postby Gylias » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:09 pm

The Constitution of Gylias

Preamble

The people of Gylias,

having fought for their freedom,
having won their independence with great sacrifices and suffering,
having organised themselves and worked towards a fair society,
desiring to create a new system that will allow all to live peaceful and dignified lives,
conscious of their responsibility before history and the world,
willing to dedicate themselves to the battle against tyranny, injustice, and exploitation,
determined to see the values of cooperation, mutual aid, and fellowship among humanity triumph,

hereby adopt the following Constitution.

Section 1. Fundamental principles

Article 1
  1. Gylias is a sovereign democracy, whose existence is based on the will of the people, and which is organised in the form of a republic.
  2. The current form of organisation is temporary, until the time when a state is no longer necessary for organisation.
  3. The democratic order, and the rights and freedoms of the people, are the foundation of the republic and cannot be altered. In the event that the democratic order is threatened with no recourse left, the people have a duty to resist the usurpation with all their might.
Article 2
  1. All power belongs to the people. The people exercise their right to govern themselves through assemblies and other bodies they constitute. They may constitute bodies for aid, coordination, or the resolution of issues best addressed collectively.
  2. The freedom, equality, and human dignity of every person is inviolable.
Article 3
  1. The law is established to protect the people from authority, to allow resolution of disputes, and to promote the exploration of ways to better administration and coordination.
  2. Everyone is free and equal before the law.
  3. A person's rights and freedoms may only be limited in exceptional circumstances where a clear conflict with other rights or other persons' rights is in evidence.
Article 4
  1. The Constitution and legal codes represent the foundation of law in the republic. Their provisions apply to all in Gylias.
  2. No law can go against the principles manifest in the Constitution and legal codes.
  3. Law can not be used to legislate morality or as an instrument for the majority to violate the rights of minorities.
Article 5
  1. A common Gylian citizenship will be established. Its functioning shall be determined by law.
  2. Citizenship shall only reflect legal membership of the republic. It shall not contradict principles of universality of rights.
  3. No law can restrict the right to multiple citizenship.
Article 6
Gylias' national symbols are determined by law. They must represent all of its people and can not privilege a particular group.

Article 7
  1. Gylias' official languages are English and French.
  2. The languages of minorities shall be recognised, governed, and protected by law.
  3. The linguistic needs of Gylians shall be accommodated in the public sphere.
Article 8
  1. Gylias is secular. Religious denominations shall organise and function in accordance with the law.
  2. Religious laws are forbidden.
Article 9
  1. Gylias maintains and develops peaceful relations with the world community, based on principles of justice, goodwill, and cooperation among peoples.
  2. The republic will fulfil in good faith the obligations of treaties and international organisations it is party to.
  3. Treaties and affiliations to international organisations shall be approved by the people to be valid.
  4. No treaties or international organisations may impede on the people's rule.
Article 10
  1. The people of Gylias reject war as an instrument of aggression or means to resolve international disputes.
  2. No military can be maintained, nor acts of belligerency committed against others.
  3. The republic maintains a Self-Defense Force to defend its sovereignty. Its mandate and functioning are governed by law.

Section 2. The rights and freedoms of the people

Article 11
  1. The rights and freedoms of the people are universal.
  2. Any limitation or deprivation of a person's rights or freedoms can only be done in accordance with Article 3, paragraph 3.
  3. The people acknowledge that all rights and freedoms come with accompanying responsibilities and duties.
  4. No rights and freedoms may be used to attack others' rights and freedoms or the democratic foundation of the republic.
Title 1. Fundamental rights and freedoms

Article 12
Everyone has:
  1. the right to life, and physical and mental integrity.
  2. the right to privacy.
  3. the right to freely develop and express their identity.
  4. the right to equality.
  5. the right to freedom from exploitation.
  6. the right to freedom from discrimination on any grounds.
  7. the right to freedom of expression.
  8. the right to freedom of thought, conscience, belief, and opinion.
  9. the right to freedom of information and the press.
  10. the right to possessions.
  11. the right to freedom of association and assembly.
  12. the right to freedom of movement.
  13. the right to freedom of language.
  14. the right to freedom of culture.
  15. the right to marry and establish families.
Title 2. Legal rights and freedoms

Article 13
Everyone has the right to freedom and security.

Article 14
Everyone has the right to effective remedy from the law, and redress in case of miscarriage of justice.

Article 15
No one can be arbitrarily deprived of freedom or be subject to search and seizure.

Article 16
No one can be detained without trial.

Article 17
Those under arrest, accusation, or detention have:
  1. the right to be promptly informed of their rights and the reasons for their arrest or detention.
  2. the right to silence and freedom from self-incrimination.
  3. the right to counsel and legal aid.
  4. the right to due process and a fair trial.
  5. the right to defend their rights.
  6. the right to communicate and receive visits.
  7. the right to the assistance of an interpreter.
Article 18
Those on trial are innocent until proven guilty.

Article 19
No one acquitted or convicted of an infraction can be tried for the same infraction.

Article 20
Collective punishment, cruel and unusual punishment, torture, and the death penalty are forbidden.

Title 3. Social rights and freedoms

Article 21
Everyone has:
  1. the right to an adequate standard of living necessary for a dignified existence.
  2. the right to food and water.
  3. the right to housing.
  4. the right to health.
  5. the right to education.
  6. the right to social security.
  7. the right to freely-chosen, just, and socially beneficial work.
  8. the right to leisure.
  9. the right to a healthy environment.
  10. the right to free and voluntary exchange.
  11. the right to self-management.
  12. the right to freedom from economic abuses.
Title 4. Political rights and freedoms

Article 22
Everyone has:
  1. the right to vote.
  2. the right to stand for public office.
  3. the right to organise popular initiatives and referendums.
  4. the right to recall elected officeholders.
  5. the right to free, fair, and regular consultations and elections.

Section 3. Social and economic structure

Article 23
Gylias' economic order is determined by the people and reflected in law.

Article 24
Gylias' natural resources belong to the people, and shall be administered through a system of common ownership.

Article 25
The means of production shall be owned by all.

Article 26
The economy as a whole is coordinated, planned, and directed by the people through their freely-determined means, bodies, and organisations, for the purpose of improving the well-being of the people and protecting personal dignity.

Section 4. Governance

Article 27
Gylias is governed by the people. What cannot be addressed or exercised directly shall be delegated to higher levels of organisation, in accordance with constitutional principles.

Article 28
  1. Communal assemblies are the main organ of governance.
  2. Administrative entities larger than communal assemblies exist for coordination and management purposes. They only exercise the responsibilities and capabilities delegated to them by the people.
Article 29
  1. For administrative purposes, Gylias shall be divided into municipalities.
  2. Municipalities can pool their resources and responsibilities into federated bodies, which in turn can be federated into regions.
Article 30
Legislative bodies constituted at the regional level have full autonomy and fiscal capabilities within the framework of the people's governance.

Article 31
The responsibilities and capabilities of assemblies and legislative bodies are shared, except for matters specifically reserved.

Article 32
  1. Public administration consists of offices established and organised by law. Their independence is inviolable.
  2. Employment in public offices is determined by qualification and examination, except as provided by law.
  3. Public officeholders serve only the people. They can not be members of political parties or hold other functions.
Article 33
  1. The Parliament is the federal legislative institution of Gylias.
  2. It consists of the Chamber of Deputies and Senate.
  3. It is elected through direct and universal suffrage. Its members serve and are responsible to the people.
  4. It is elected for a term of 4 years, which may only be lengthened by a state of emergency or war.
  5. It meets in two sessions throughout the year. The first begins in February and can not last beyond the end of June. The second begins in September and can not last beyond the end of December. Extraordinary sessions can also be called.
  6. It meets, deliberates, and votes in public.
  7. It adopts its own rules and procedures for functioning and organisation. Each chamber shall be presided by a Speaker, with no affiliation and carrying out their duties in a neutral manner.
Article 34
  1. The federal government of Gylias is formed by the cabinet, composed of the Prime Minister, ministers, and other positions established by law.
  2. The Prime Minister assembles the cabinet and submits it to the Parliament's approval.
  3. The cabinet is responsible for the execution of Gylias' internal and external policies, in accordance with its program, and exercises general guidance over the public administration.
  4. The cabinet is only responsible for determining policy, and may not interfere with the functioning of the public administration.
  5. The Prime Minister is responsible for the functioning of cabinet and its policies.
  6. The cabinet is collectively responsible for its acts as a whole.
  7. Ministers are individually responsible for the acts of their ministries.
Article 35
  1. Justice is administered in the name of the people through law courts. Judges are independent and subject only to the law.
  2. Judges are appointed on the basis of qualifications and examinations. They can not hold other functions apart from didactic positions.
  3. No extraordinary or special courts may be created.
Article 36
  1. The Court of Cassation is the final court of appeal for civil and penal cases.
  2. The Constitutional Court is the final court of appeal for administrative cases. It also examines the constitutional legitimacy of legislation and defends the allocation of responsibilities between the organs of governance.
  3. Both consist of 9 judges appointed for a single term of 9 years.
Article 37
  1. Court trials are conducted with investigative proceedings. Judges question witnesses, interrogate suspects, and order searches, for the purpose of gathering facts and evidence.
  2. Inquiries are established by the public prosecutor.
  3. All court procedures and actions shall be conducted with respect to the rights of the accused as per Article 17.
  4. All judicial decisions shall include a clear statement of reasons.
Article 38
  1. The President of Gylias is the main counselor and arbiter of the people.
  2. They are elected through direct and universal suffrage. They can not be a member of a political party or hold other functions while in office.
  3. They convene, adjourn, and dissolve legislatures for the purposes of election, under counsel.
  4. They designate a Prime Minister and ask them to form a cabinet. They are entitled to observe or be represented at cabinet meetings.
  5. They sign bills into law.
  6. They appoint public officials.
  7. They issue pardons and commutations.
  8. They hold meetings and discussions with public officials and communal assemblies at their discretion.
  9. They are the commander-in-chief of the Gylian Self-Defense Forces.

Section 5. Revision procedures

Article 39
  1. The constitution can be modified by popular initiative, cabinet proposal, or a quorum of the members of Parliament.
  2. Any constitutional amendments must be approved by a majority of voters in a referendum.
  3. Constitutional amendments can not affect the democratic order or the rights and freedoms of the people.

Section 6. Supplementary provisions

Article 40
  1. Governments can not establish or grant honours to individuals.
  2. Titles of nobility are not recognised.
Last edited by Gylias on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gylias » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am

The Independent Reader

The enigma of Ekaterina Dobreva
SAM BRYCE, 16 March 2018

On 2 January 2018, Ekaterina Dobreva took the oath of office as Premier of Acrea, and became the youngest head of state in Acrean history aged 35. It was the culmination of a rapid rise to the top of Acrean politics, in a career that has been unusually apolitical just prior. Since then, she has slowly risen to international prominence — and concern, depending on the country — with an ambitious reinvention of Acrean foreign policy.

These ambitions for radical reforms can feel somewhat strained when one takes into account the extent to which she owes her journey to the premiership to the peculiarities of the Acrean political system itself.

An unusual ascent

The Vratsa native's background is conspicuous for its absence of political awakening or the elite pipeline of universities and lower party ranks that has characterised other Acrean leaders. They joined the armed forces after school, serving as a naval intelligence agent in Shalum. Upon returning to Acrea, they joined the KGB as an intelligence officer — mainly in a command capacity, according to the information that has been made available.

Ekaterina Dobreva's entrance into politics came in 2010, when Cristian Drogaru left his seat in the Sovet, the Acrean parliament's lower house. Nominated by the leaders of the KGB and approved by president Dmitrii Kalinin and the upper house, she took the Sovet seat in January 2011. An unsurprising stint as the head of the Sovet's Intelligence Committee gave her a platform to advocate reforms and voice criticisms of Dmitrii Kalinin, building up standing among the legislature's dominant faction, the National Civic Front.

While in office she casts herself as an outsider who will shake up the torpid system, Ekaterina Dobreva has benefited from significant favour at crucial junctures of their career. She was nominated for the Sovet by the highest-ranking members of the KGB, director Viktor Ambrosov and second-in-command Aleksander Damashcin, having previously enjoyed a close collaboration with the former. In the legislature, for all the criticism, they remained an ally of Dimitri Kalinin in the end, and was rewarded with a high profile among the NCF, which holds a majority of seats in both chambers. Dimitri Kalinin's announcement that Ekaterina Dobreva would be appointed Premier earlier in the year was only surprising in having a President and Premier coexist for the first time under soviet law.

If Tyran has no shortage of political figures propelled to high office from a combination of youthful energy, charisma, and the right circumstances, the unusual quality of Ekaterina Dobreva's journey to the premiership comes from the, at best, semi-democratic nature of the Acrean system.

Power plays

A single-party system like Acrea's will automatically make elections a nominal matter. But to concentrate on the absence of substantial democracy risks muddying the ways in which politics are carried out there, for Acrea is not an openly dictatorial state like Ruvelka or Alemarr. The ruling party is, if anything, marked by internal divisions, manifested in the contour of two leading factions, whose main differences lie in foreign policy and can be broadly described as “nationalists” and “globalists”. Elections for representatives take place locally with multiple candidates standing, of the same party but different factions. The system proves rather democratic in allowing for an orderly alternation of factions in office.

The system also produces a pervasive disconnection between common Acreans and officeholders, a gap that is increased by the indirect election of the legislature. The result is a political environment where power is the only thing that matters, and thus a crude social spencerism reigns. A system where accumulating power is the overriding concern and back-room struggles for survival are encouraged is wide open to anyone with a charismatic and strong personality for the taking.

That is how Ekaterina Dobreva, who would face an uphill struggle to be taken seriously in an ordinary democratic system, has been able to leap directly into the executive. The fact that they became Premier rather than President offers a further clue: the latter is chosen based on the strongest faction in the upper house, while the former is elected from the lower house based on who holds the most power there. It was enough for them to muster the most power in the legislature and declare their erstwhile ally unable to perform their duties.

Openings

One could be forgiven for assuming that a system based to such an alarming extent on a cult of leadership and power would be a prime target for the hardliners and revanchists of the Soviet Party. But it is here that Ekaterina Dobreva's politics — assuming the term can be properly applied to someone with a resolutely non-political prior career — break with expectations.

The Soviet Party's nationalist faction has been the one traditionally associated with a hard-hearted, paranoid approach to foreign policy. This mindset put potential threats to Acrea at the top of the priorities list, and would view other countries as being for Acrea, against it, or something between those. Their historical terms in office coincided in large part with the lack of significant challenges to Acrean power — one of the reasons for the Common Sphere being formed — and they have not weathered well the subsequent rebalance of regional powers — or, for that matter, loss of influence among communist parties that turned away from the Acrean model towards homegrown ones. It was in this way that the nationalist faction was overrepresented, and generally controlled, by old hardliners concerned mostly with reassertion of power, generally in the same black-or-white frame of mind that would alarm the rest of Tyran.

By contrast, Ekaterina Dobreva comes from the generation that has lived through the decline of Acrean power, with no frame of reference for what it declined from, but faced no existential threats anymore. Between the Great War and the present, Acrea only fought in the Montserrat War. Relations with Ruvelka have thawed, considerably so in recent years. The Union of Eracuran Nations has been successful at preventing war in the west. Their point of view is considerably more multi-dimensional than their antecedents. Countries like Ossoria and Azura and Montemayor have their good reasons to be wary of Acrean assertiveness on the regional stage. Nevertheless, it is striking how they have consistently emphasised soft power and partnership in their speeches and policy announcements.

New opportunities

It remains to be seen how well Ekaterina Dobreva can pull off such a drastic change of policy, but their impact is already being felt. The previous haughty condescension that marked Acrean approaches to other countries is giving way to a more pacific tone. A charm offensive to promote Acrean exports and commerce is underway — perhaps not strictly necessary for Tyran's largest economy, but still a sign of commitment to the idea of treating neutral states as potential friends rather than adversaries. We might actually come to witness Acrea flexing its economic muscles after having long neglected them in favour of military ones.

If nothing else, there is an undeniable novelty to the concept of cordial relations between Acrea and Gylias — countries that have long epitomised opposing sides of a canyon among the Tyranian left. The initiatives coming from the Acrean embassy in Mishawaka are unmistakably aimed at improving diplomatic relations, since improvements in general opinion of Acrea would take a whole lot more than that. The notion of organising the first official visit for either side is making its way through the Administrative House. None of this necessarily means Gylias will suddenly become an ally of Acrea, but it does mean that Acrean stances might no longer be immediately disregarded or ignored, or viewed as something to work around in foreign policy.

The CS will similarly have to grapple with the concept of improved relations and trade with Acrea. It might seem like a favourite as a proposition in terms of its win-win potential, but, again, one must keep in mind the CS was at least partly designed to be a counterweight to Acrean power in the region when it was established. How would such an organisation shift its point of view from the idea of containment, more or less, to having better dealings with the country it was meant to counterbalance? Apart from the benefits of growing trade, it is possible that putting relations on a basis of at least neutrality rather than wariness would increase Acrea's diplomatic leverage, and thus it might find more of an audience for its international initiatives.

That is not to say such drastic changes to Acrean policy will be frictionless. The system remains one where the simple nod of the President or Premier can turn the parliament into a rubber-stamp when it comes to foreign policy, and now it is helmed by someone who is possessed of both intelligence and a dangerous level of understanding how that system works. There is no reason to get hopes up that more openings would be underway — Ekaterina Dobreva, for all their ambition, is still too fundamentally a product and a part of that system to contemplate putting Acrea on the path to democratisation. Nor does they offer any reasons for rapprochement to the other major powers, for whom there is no love lost between them and Acrea.

Nevertheless, it does rather feel like years of stasis have suddenly been overturned by a new sense of forward movement within Acrea. Where that forward movement leads is what the rest of the world will be observing cautiously.

Thanks to Acrea for the input and suggestions.

Syara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 pm

The Citadel,
Zovahr, Syara
April 14th, 2009

Dragomir Zhelev brought the small cup to his lips and sipped at the tea earnestly, waiting for the natural remedy to stimulate his senses and get him prepared for the rest of the day. His throat hummed he drank in the warm liquid, before placing the small cup back on the saucer. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, taking in the aroma as much as he could. When he opened his eyes again, his senses seemed a little more alert. But just a little.

Zhelev was not yet 60 years old, but he felt much older. It seemed like he had aged a decade in just a year. A year of little sleep, long hours, and nonstop negativity would do that to someone, and the Executive of the Syaran Commonality was no exception. As he rose from his seat in his office and made his way down the hallway to the main conference chamber, he felt some weariness gnaw at his bones. He was old before his time, but he continued. As he walked down the halls he passed by large and elaborate portraits of famous Syaran leaders. Proud sentinels of Syara, followers of the Warden Way, Children of the All Mother. In his early days in office such images filled him with vigor, but not he was almost reluctant to look at them.

The final canvas before his destination was that of Mother Gaia herself. The All Mother wore a serene expression on her face, surrounded by wondrous and beautiful displays of her natural creation. Though her expression was soft Zhelev would swear her eyes bore into him. He tried not to think about. What judgements would the All Mother weigh on him when his mortal Journey came to an end? Would she look fondly on his adherence to the Warden Way? Or would the weight of his failures see him cast into the void? He brushed such thoughts from his mind; he had more pressing, human concerns to worry about right now.

Two security officers opened the door for him as he approached the conference room. Their opening signaled everyone who was inside the room to stand at attention, but Zhelev waived his hand dismissively. “Sit, all of you.” There was a time when distinct protocol was reverently followed each cabinet meeting, but the times did not offer such luxuries. As the Executive sat himself down in his seat and watched his cabinet members do the same, he steeled himself for more bad news.

For a year now Syara had been locked in a bloody struggle with its eastern neighbor, Ruvelka. What had started as a border conflict had escalated into a full scale war with the Ruvelkans and a year later Syara was still fighting. It had been costly thus far and was still going on; a quarter of a million Syarans had already lost their lives. The weight of so many casualties and the financial burden was beginning to strain Syara to the breaking point.

“Alright then, let’s not waste time.” His voice, though still gravely, had noticeably weakened as he got older. His cabinet made no comment on it and went straight to business. The Minister of Commerce was the first to speak. He pushed forward a folder for Zhelev to open up, which he did to find a series of papers concerning charts and graphs related to Syara’s international commerce and trade relations. “As you can see sir, our exports have dropped again. This is the sixth straight month we’ve been exporting less and less.”

Zhelev’s eyes scanned the documents in front of him, searching for key figures. “Only a drop of 1.54%. That’s less than last month.”

“It’s spring.” The Commerce Minister explained. “Farmers across the region are planting their crops so we’ve seen an increase in demand for our livestock feed and farming equipment.”

“Speaking of farming,” Zhelev said, glancing up at the Minister of Agriculture, “How are we doing there?”

“Our production levels remain stable sir.” The Agriculture Minister responded. “Consumption levels have remained the same as well. All together our efforts to decrease private consumption have been successful.” She folded her hands atop one another. “Our food supply is in good condition and I foresee no major shortages.”

“Well, that’s some good news.” Zhelev said absentmindedly.

“Even so sir, we have other problems.” The Commerce Minister reiterated. “Our exports are falling; we’re down to 60% of our pre-war levels. Even with this recent uptake is only a drop in the bucket, we can’t rely on agricultural exports to cover all our losses. The fact is at our current rate of loss we’re on the path to significant financial trouble.”

Zhelev grimaced. “How bad is it?”

“It’s getting worse sir.” The Commerce Minister replied. “Our exports are falling and as a result our foreign currency exchange is running low. Without foreign currency our ability to purchase imports is compromised.”

“Is there no way to reverse it?”

“Our exports are being cut because most of our funding and available resources are being used for the war effort.” The Minister of Economy cut in. “Our major enterprises have been forced to cut back on production levels across the board since they’re facing critical resource shortages.”

“Anything in particular?” Zhelev asked.

“Steel is one of the biggest.” The Economic Minister explained. “Our steel output has increased but only because our state-owned defense industries have been using so much of it to build weapons; tanks, aircraft, shells, and the such. But now the private sector is struggling to meet their needs. Our rail infrastructure in Makedon has been compromised because of the inability of our rail industry to replace worn down tracks and replenish their rolling stock.”

“What about our allies? Isn’t Azurlavai a major steel producer?” Zhelev inquired.

“They are,” the Finance Minister said, “but because our reserves of foreign currency are dropping it’s going to be even more costly to purchase it from them. On top of that, Azurlavai is in the middle of a major recession, even if we had the money I doubt they’d be able to spare enough to cover our demands.”

“Anyone else?”

“We have favorable trade relations with Azurlavai, but outside of them our options are hampered by the same problem; paying for it. Without adequate reserves of foreign currency whomever we end up buying from it’s just going to end up costing more and more. And this is just for steel sir, we have other imported goods to worry about, rare earth metals, cotton and wool for our textiles industry, rubber for tires. The situation isn’t getting any better.”
Zhelev rubbed his temples, closing his eyes while he spoke. “Is there any other options we have?”

“Only radical ones sir. People are starting to notice the economy’s on the decline, they’re spending less and private investment is down.” The Finance Minister explained. “We’re running out options. Our war bonds have seen promising investment but that’s not enough. Our budget is already straining as it is, if we raise taxes any higher than they already are we’d be dealing with serious blowback. We’re running out of ways to shift funding and resource allocation around sir. The simple fact is we’re losing the financial ability to sustain this war effort.”

“And then what?” Zhelev already knew the answer but he felt obliged to ask.

The Finance Minister shrugged. “Full scale rationing across the entire country. Cut back on foodstuffs to decrease consumption so we can lower production and shift resources elsewhere, limit fuel purchases so we can redirect rail lines and cargo trucks towards strategic assets.” The look on the Executive’s face said enough. “I know it’s not something we want to do sir, but we don’t have any realistic options less. We’re already struggling to keep inflation down despite all our spending. If we don’t make serious cuts somewhere, we’re running the risk of complete economic ruin.”

Zhelev sighed. “Alright, no nonsense. How long do we have?”

The Finance and Economic Ministers exchanged glances. The Finance Minister rubbed the back of his neck. “We’re not in total crisis mode yet, but we’re nearing there. We have maybe four or five months before our revenue and currency reserves simply can’t handle the costs. We can shift some finances around for now away from non-strategic usages, but that won’t buy us much time. We either need to end this war soon or embrace a complete war economy.”

Zhelev nodded slowly. “Do what you can for now.” He turned his attention to the end of the conference table, where his assorted military representatives were seated. The Senior Commander of the Armed Forces, the Director of the Intelligence Service, and the Senior Representatives of each branch of the armed forces were present in their uniforms, having remained quiet while the civilians discussed financial matters. The Executive leveled his eyes on the Senior Commander of the Armed Forces.

“General, what news do you have?”

The Senior Commander shifted in his seat as he inched closer to the table, resting his arms on it. “Sir, we’ve seen little progress in the center and south, but in the north First Army had made some gains. It appears the Ruvelkans have withdrawn from their positions and retreated further into the foothills along the coast. Our efforts to force them into a pitched confrontation failed.”

“How much longer can they retreat?” The Foreign Minister wondered aloud.

“Northern Ruvelka is rugged and mountainous.” The Senior Representative from the Syaran National Army explained. “It’s easy to defend and hard to attack. But First Army’s chief of staff believes it might be possible to rupture the corps boundary between the Ruvelkans corps and pin their northern most forces against the coast. From there they’d have to be evacuated by sea or risk annihilation. That could potential unhinge their defensive lines across most of the north and provide a path towards putting further pressure on the Ruvelkan central front.”

“Evacuate? We’d just let them withdraw that many troops?” The Senior Representative of the Air Force seemed baffled.

“The Sundering Sea if off limits.” The Senior Representative of the Navy said. “We can’t interfere there per our agreement with the Ossorians and Cacertians.”

“But what if we just stick to the territorial waters? They can’t complain if we don’t stray too far from the coast.”

“Modern naval weaponry have ranges measured in hundreds of kilometers, General. If we stick any ships right off the Ruvelkan coast we’d be asking for an anti-ship missile battery to send them to the bottom.”

“Well Admiral, I guess we’ll just have to wait for when the Navy decides to finally join us in fighting this war.” The Senior Air Force representative retorted.

The Admiral looked offended. “We’ve already transferred all of our carrier borne aircraft to you, and gutted our own logistical elements and resources to support land and air operations, I don’t see where you’ve-“

“Enough!” The Executive said in a raised voice high enough for everyone in the room to hear. “We’re not here to discuss the merits and disadvantages of our naval forces, that’s something we’ll leave to the Senior Command Staff.” Zhelev slumped in his chair a bit. “Yes, I know the situation isn’t well. But we made an agreement with Kenlis and Vichenza that specifically forbade our naval forces from operating in the Divide. Unless the Ruvelkans break their agreement, which I have no reason to believe they will, then we’re honor bound to obey it.”

“We’re in no position to piss off either of them now. Especially,” Zhelev said, tapping the table for emphasis, “After I swore to High King Nevan and Queen Anelyn, on the Bloodnames of our Founders no less!, that we would refrain from naval operations in the Sundering Sea.”

He sat back in his chair. “Yes, I realize that in doing so I removed a potentially decisive component of our armed forces from this war. Maybe having the Navy available to try to blockade Ruvelka would’ve won us the war by now, maybe not. But it was a decision I made and I stand by it.”

A moment of silence fell on the cabinet. After a few more Zhelev looked up again, this time at his Intelligence Director. “Any word on what the Ruvelkans are planning?”

The Intelligence Director was sitting cross legged on her chair, wearing an expressionless face. Her voice was cool and even. “Our intel suggests the Ruvelkans are pulling together their strategic reserves somewhere behind their lines. We aren’t sure where, but it’s several divisions worth of troops and equipment. Where they intend to use it is as of now unknown.”

“Where are we weakest?” Zhelev asked.

“In multiple sectors we have tenuous positions.” The Senior Commander said. “We’ve made progress in some areas but have been stonewalled in others. As of right now Army Group Alpha is spread out covering a wide front. There are multiple areas the Ruvelkans could strike.”

“What about our own reserves?” The Executive inquired?

A grimace. “Not good, sir. Our Operations Directorate estimates we need 250,000 more troops to cover our current plans, but the Personnel Directorate says we’ll only have 100,000 more by June.”

“We’re reaching the limit of our available manpower sir.” The Army representative explained. “We’re not producing reserves fast enough to cover our losses, but if we start expanding our recruitment pool we’ll have to start making cuts to training and standards to ease mobilization. Either way we’re facing a serious manpower problem.”

Zhelev rubbed his chin. “How long before the Ruvelkans complete massing their reserves?”

“We estimate they’ll have enough reserves to launch a major strategic offensive within four months sir.” The Intelligence Director replied.

The Executive fell silent for nearly a minute. When he spoke, there was a weariness to it, as though he had accepted the precarious position his nation was finding itself in. “Compile me reports on your respective services and ministries outlining your current situation, immediate pressing needs and your suggestions on how to proceed. We’ll examine them in depth later and figure the best way forward.”

In the end, it didn’t matter.

The Ruvelkans launched their grand offensive two months before the Syaran Intelligence Director had believed them capable of doing so. When the offensive came it was not launched against any specific area or sector, but across the entire front. The well planned and brilliantly executed attack unhinged the strung out Syaran forces and pushed them back across the entire front. As blow after blow was landed on the Syarans they found themselves unable to plug all the holes as the developed, their reserves too small and too spread out. By late June the Syarans had been pushed back all the way to the pre-war border, and the final Ruvelkan pushed recaptured Zemplen.

In the span of a few weeks the Syarans had lost everything they had gained and had no more reserves to cover their losses. The Commonality faced two options, plunge further into war by establishing a war economy and implementing conscription, or accept their losses. They chose the latter, and the war ended on June 19th, 2009.

The rapid and shocking nature of the defeat had wide ranging implications for Syara. Had they been a different nation or a different people, they might have chosen to lay the blame for their defeat on a certain section of the population or chose to scapegoat certain people for their defeat. But the nature of their total defeat made all of that impossible. Zhelev’s administration would not last long after the surrender. Neither did the Followers of the Warden Way, who’s ideology was largely blamed for starting the war in the first place. The Commonality had ended the war with over a quarter of a million Syarans dead, and the loss of all their claimed territory. It would never be the same again.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shalum
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shalum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Fontera
1st Week of Great War

In a matter of hours, the entire sector would run would blood.

As he leaned against the edge of his command tank’s cupola, Colonel Valentine Specht wore a stormy expression. Brining a hand rolled cigarette to his lips, packed with a sticky green substance that everyone else in his vehicle knew wasn’t tobacco, he took a long draw and held his breath despite the overwhelming urge he had to sign in frustration. No matter how many times he went over facts, or any number of angles he tried to approach it from, there simply wasn’t anyway to make the situation at hand come across as positive.

It seemed as if intelligence had known the conflict had been coming for some time, but had only (officially, at least) passed the word along several days ago. It hadn’t been hard for Imperial agents to notice a buildup of infantry and armored units in the thousands. There was no way to truly hide an invasion, at least from a neighbor on the other side of the border. Knowing that it was coming could only make things so much better, though. The kind of manpower that Azurlavai could bring to the table made the Shalumite military pale in comparison. Their saving grace, if one could truly call it that, was that the designers up in Aragon preferred quality over quantity.

“Sir?” The radioman of the tank was practically a child. He looked as if he had graduated from basic training just days ago, and really that wasn’t far from the truth. It just so happened that he was unlucky enough to be sent down south, close to the tipping point of an age older grudge. His new, improperly sized uniform was still new and starched, his boots too clean for someone in this line of work. “Sergeant Wexler’s scouts are heading our way. They’ve confirmed a hostile column heading our way.”

“Fuck.” Colonel Specht raised to his full height and peered out towards the horizons. The central and southern regions were perfect for armored engagements, as they were relatively flat and most suitable for farming. Any unit equipped for off roading could easily bypass defenses or surrounded their targets. The city he controlled, though, was directly on the way north along the best road to Frankfurt - or the capital itself if the enemy was so daring as to spear through more heavily defended zones. The army was still scrambling to organize itself, after all.

Looking back to the streets, most of his troops were milling about. The motorized company wasn’t much in the face of the coming onslaught. They only reinforcements they had received since arriving were mostly local militia forces armed with surplus weapons. Everyone here knew what they were - a force meant to stall the enemy and give the town’s population more time to flee north where Army Group South was rushing to establish a line of resistance.

One heavy tank, six medium tanks, four tank destroyers, a dozen anti-tank guns and mortars, along with nearly two hundred riflemen - that was the totality of their defense.

“Klaus?”

“Yes, sir?” The radioman replied. Nearby a trio of Marders rumbled forward, led by a Stug IV towards a series of digouts that would allow them to defend from hull-down positions. Someone had apparently gotten word from the scouts as well.

“Relay the order that all defenders are to man their positions. Gunner, go ahead and load an anti-tank round.”

He could practically hear the crew swallow, even as they began to move beneath him. “Understood, sir!” The radio operator replied, pulling his headset back on.

In a matter of minutes, the town was swarming. Many of the local shops and homes had become barracks with a lack of any other proper housing. Uniformed soldiers of the 121st Motor Regiment hurriedly moved, rifles and submachine guns in hand. While they weren’t as lucky as units like the kasrkins, they were all equipped with semi-automatic rifles at the very least. Right alongside them were the townsfolk, most of who were dressed as if they were going hunting. Their budget hadn’t been enough to accomodate for anything standardized, at least as far equipment went. The youngest of them, who had been paired off in groups of two, had the task of lugging crates of ammunition, grenades, and whatever else would soon be needed.

“C’mon you slow bastards, to your positions already!” The captain, who Specht had worked with for the last two days, barked as he ran past. Sparing a glance towards the command tank, he gave the ranking officer a quick nod before pressing on as he lifted his 43M towards the air.

“God help us all.” The colonel muttered as the tank lurched forward, towards it’s predetermined position where he could observe from safety. If they had any chance of surviving beyond the new few hours, they were truly going to need divine intervention.

The same could be said for every other unit posted up along the border. They all shared a similar fate of being doomed from the start.
Conscription is the vitality of a nation, the purification of its morality, and the real foundations of all its habits.

It is better to be a warrior in a garden then to be a gardener in a war.

Syara
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm

December 6, 2008
Western Ruvelka

Radovan Kostović felt sick to his stomach. It had been hours since he had last put food in his belly but the scene before him threatened to bring it all back up. He tried to look away, take a deep breath, and collect himself, but some morbid, twisted part of his mind kept his gaze locked on the carnage before him.

It was hard to distinguish the bits and pieces from one another. Everything was covered in soot, the ground was churned and blackened, awkwardly mixed in with the pools of water from snow that the flames had melted. It had all happened so fast Kostović was still processing much of it, even as smoke billowed into the air from the wreckage. Everything was so twisted and charred, he couldn’t tell which skeletons were metal and which were bone. Scattered around were some bodies that were untouched in one part and unrecognizable elsewhere. The gently falling snow added an eerie sensation to the whole scene.

It had all happened so fast Radovan’s mind was still racing. Images flashed in his mind, some sharp and crisp, others blurry and undefined. One moment he was sitting idly in his vehicle, sealed in his metal shell against the frosty exterior, the next the driver was screaming in his ear for everyone to bail out and run for it. Radovan felt his heart pounding in his chest as he scrambled out of the chassis, limbs banging against the metal frame. He ran as fast as he could in the snow, slipping and falling on patches of ice before someone grabbed him and threw him to the ground, then a deafening roar, following by a low rumble and finally silence. Heat washed over him like a wave. When he finally raised his face out of the snow, he was greeted by the stench of burning rubber and the sight of destruction.

Snowflakes clung to his fatigues or fell from his limbs as he rose up, the sudden rush of adrenaline rapidly fading and leaving behind a yearning for rest and recuperation. But he could afford no rest at this point. The world came back to him slowly as he forced himself to look elsewhere, gather his thoughts, and get moving again. Before him lay the main highway the brigade had been transiting on, to his back an short open field that gave way to snow covered pines. Somewhere beyond the forest was the small city of Bialocsa. The Kurilla Mountains loomed in the distance, mighty snow covered sentinels where the rest of Ruvelka lay beyond. In the distance he could hear the low booms of artillery and rockets, reverberating off nearby valleys and hills.

A new sound appeared behind Radovan, the wet crunching of snow underfoot. Radovan was familiar enough with Master Sergeant Paskalev, his company’s senior non-commissioned officer, to recognize him. Like most of his fellow Galanians, Paskalev was short and stocky, and compensated for his small stature with the typical gusto of a noncom. In this instance, it seemed to be replaced by frustration and fury. “Sir, are you alright?”

Radovan’s senses were still too deadened to fully appreciate the concern from his comrade, so all he could muster was a nod. It suddenly clicked in his mind that he needed to get accountability of his men. He whirled around to face Paskalev. “What’s our status?”

Paskalev’s face hardened. “We lost Talevski and Antolić. Seven more wounded.”

Radovan felt a pang of guilt though he had ultimately been powerless to stop anything. He wasn’t going to pretend that he knew both soldiers well, but he knew their names and faces. And now they were gone. Something sadness deep inside of him wanted to crawl out and escape through his tear ducts, but he shoved that sentiment to the recesses of his mind. “How bad are the wounded?”

“Only one serious, Karmarian. The truck flipped and I think he’s got some crushed ribs. The rest are banged up but alright.”

Radovan nodded. It sounded callous to say with two men dead, but all in all they had gone off rather lightly. In truth Radovan’s actions prior to their departure had saved many of his men; before starting the convoy he had ordered his batteries to split up between the other companies in the event they were attacked on the road. He had done that with the possibility of an ambush in mind, not an air strike, but it had worked. Except for two of his men. Radovan couldn’t dwell on that.
The other companies hadn’t been so lucky. “How bad is the rest of the battalion?”

“Beta and Gamma Companies are practically gone.” Paskalev said, grimacing while he spoke. “They took the brunt of the hit.”

Radovan allowed himself another glance at the destruction. Two companies destroyed in mere seconds. Radovan turned to look at the small group assembled around him. Master Sergeant Paskalev stood, fists balled and face stern. Radovan’s executive officer, Bozhinoski, stood dumbfounded. Alpha Battery’s officer, Nakov, stood uneasily by with his Senior Sergeant. All of them on edge, uncertain as to what exactly to do beyond the immediate reactions, almost lost. Radovan swallowed.
“Bozhinoski, get on the net and tell Battalion HQ what happened. I’m sure they already know, but give our situation as well.”

He nodded, and went off to his own vehicle where his radio set was at. Radovan appraised Nakov, who seemed almost afraid of what Radovan was going to ask him. “Nakov, get your battery together and start clearing a path through this debris. We can’t wait for the engineering vehicles to get here.”

Nakov took a moment to respond before he nodded emphatically and set off with his platoon sergeant. Radovan turned back to Paskalev. “We need to get moving as soon as possible, regroup with Alpha Company. Then we’ll move on to the staging area. Detail our casualties, status of our vehicles, then meet back at my truck in 15 minutes.”

Paskalev nodded. “Yes sir.”

It filled Radovan with a little bit of pride to watch his troops go about their orders, carrying them out and reorganizing themselves in the aftermath of the strike. They were well trained, and despite what had been thrown at them they were responding well. Radovan busied himself compiling all the information relevant to his force before he sent it up to his superiors. He coordinated efforts with the battalion’s attached medical platoon to deal with the wounded, and hand out the plethora of body bags needed. Radovan was standing next to his vehicle, doing radio checks with his subordinates when the chief warrant officer of the battalions attached air defense platoon walked up.

Radovan knew the man, named Rajcevski, very little. He was an average, middle aged man with a balding head and slightly lithe appearance. Radovan had seen him once at brigade and battalion meetings but never before this personally. Then he had seemed rather aloof and un-energetic. Standing before Radovan, just a few dozen meters from where two companies had been slaughtered in the open, the air defense chief looked stunned, with eyes as wide as dinner plates.

Radovan wasn’t sure what to say. “What happened?”

The chief shrugged, an almost childlike gesture given the gravity of what had happened. “I’m not sure.” He said in a tone that Radovan believed was truthful. “They came in low and fast, and before we even had an ID on them they had already dropped their ordinance.”

Master Sergeant Paskalev, who was standing nearby with the other members of the senior staff, looked angered. “What do you mean, you didn’t see them?”

Rajcevski looked like he had no answers. “On the march we use our mobile radar, it’s shorter range and lower resolution than our stationary system. They might’ve slipped in through a gap in the mountains then swung long across the forest to the south at tree top level.”

That answer didn’t seem to please Paskalev in the slightest, but before he could say anything, Bozhinoski chimed in. “What was it that hit us?”

“Helicopter?” Nakov asked.

The Air Defense Chief shook his head. “Too fast. Had to be a fighter.”

“Maybe a Typhoon.” Atanasov, the second battery commander. “The Ruvelkans bought them from the Acreans.”

This time it was Radovan who shook his head. “No, Typhoons are fighters. They’ll control the sky. It had to be a strike fighter, or a tactical bomber.”

“Whatever it was,” Paskalev said, gritting his teeth, “It took out two whole companies, while our air defense team couldn’t do shit.”

Rajcevski didn’t seem to have any answer. “If we had more warning, we might have been able to-“

“Did you even fire at him?” Paskalev demanded.

“Well, no, we was out of range from our short range-“

“So not only did this flyboy take out more than a hundred of our boys, our own damn air defense teams can’t even give us cover.”

Rajcevski looked alarmed. “What did you expect us to do?!”

“Your fucking jobs, you moron!”

Master Sergeant!” Radovan barked, far harsher than he had ever done so before in the unit. Everyone practically jumped.

When Radovan had joined the Sacred Guard, he had accepted a level of discipline into his life that he wouldn’t get anywhere else. He had devoted his life and soul to serving the All Mother, and when he had laterally transferred to the Syaran National Army at the outbreak of the war, he knew his discipline would come in handy. But military life was different. He had given himself to a sacrosanct devotion of Mother Gaia which required spiritual discipline, but in the military discipline was for order and efficiency. He was hereto command troops in battle, not serve as a Predicant or preacher, and while always willing to discuss matters of the All Mother with his men, in his current capacity he was an officer first. He had accepted that when he put on the uniform and accepted that his place was to command. He was content to leave discipline to the NCOs, something they seemed to appreciate if for no other reason than he wasn’t watching over their shoulder all the time.

It was the first time he had ever raised his voice in anger at anyone thus far, and the reaction from the rest of the men assembled around him was enough. Radovan locked eyes with each of them. “What’s done is done. Right now, we need to assemble and get moving. The Brigade still is moving into attack, and we need to be ready to offer fire support.”

The rest of the men were stiff. Radovan sighed. “Get back to your units. We’re moving in ten.”

He turned around and hauled himself into his command vehicle.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Syara
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Kunhegyes District, Northern Ruvelka
October 6th, 2009

Lt. General Aharon Kechichian was already in a bad mood before he had set foot inside his personal vehicle. He had awoken at 0400 only to discover that his staff had failed to inform him of developments in several sectors as he had ordered them to, and then followed it up with rancid coffee and another stuttering brief by his chief of staff, who seemed less and less focused with each passing day. Kechichian was growing increasingly aware of the inefficiency of his staff, and their consistent failings were starting to erode his last set of nerves. What he needed were machines incapable of the human failings of fatigue, mistakes, and miscommunication, but what he had was a cluster of small minded beings that were struggling to keep up with him.

No matter. Kechichian knew it would ultimately fall on his shoulders to put his forces back on track, as he had done when he had first taken command nearly a year prior when his predecessor had badly handled the aftershocks of the Ruvelkan Winter Counter Offensive. As he had shaved, brushed his teeth, and dressed himself, he confided to himself the need to ignore the failures around him and focus on getting the job done. A Clanner through and true, the hulking man had forced himself to sit through another daily briefing while his staff did their best to avoid earning his ire.

His Chief of Staff had the usual bad news. His subordinate units were running low on one-two-five and one-five-two ammunition, a perennial problem for his mechanized heavy divisions. His division commanders were begging for more reinforcements, with most of them operating at 60-70% strength. What fresh troops they did receive were so green they struggled and nearly fell apart the first time they were under fire. His intelligence chief insisted the Ruvelkans were equally struggling, but Kechichian saw little evidence for it. It seemed like the Ruvelkans had an endless pool of manpower they could draw from, constantly replenishing their losses and reinforcing their lines.

Kechichian could feel his hands flex as they curled into fists. The fucking Ruvelkans would not break. He had smashed them over and over again, plastered them with artillery and overrun them with his tanks and tracked vehicles, but they would not break, instead fighting for every hill, valley, and village possible. Things had only gotten progressively harder. The borders were mostly flat, the occasional plateau surrounded by rolling hills. But after the meat grinder that was Kunhegyes and Kaposvar (Kechichian was still troubled by how long and arduous those battles had been), the Ruvelkan interior had turned to thick forests and highlands. As he left the city hall that had been converted to his command center, he found himself staring at the distant peaks of the Karilla Mountains. The snow covered sentinels seemed to mock him, daring him to draw closer where a million more Ruvelkan soldiers and Fusiliers were ready to turn every peak and valley into another bloody clash.

Snowfall had already covered much of northern Ruvelka, and was piled high on the side of the roads that were utilized most by the Syaran National Army. At some other time, the quiet frost covered villages and towering forests might have seemed comfortable, but with pillars of smoke visible on the horizon, the steady booms of distant artillery, and the occasional remains of both metal and bone served as a reminder of the war that had ruined this once beautiful countryside. Kechichian scarcely noted the terrain anymore, except when it was an obstacle. The dreary overcast sky, made darker by the columns of black smoke rising into the atmosphere, scarcely registered in his mind as he sat down in his personal car, which he fit poorly in due to a combination of his size and the body armor he wore.

As usual his staff had their concerns about him moving around the front, but Kechician hated the video teleconference that so many other commanders preferred. He needed to be there, to see the situation with his own eyes; anything else was a poor substitute. He ignored his staff during the ride, thankful that his annoyingly talkative deputy commander was staying behind to oversee the Corps’ headquarters while he was gone. His small entourage kept to themselves, giving Kechichian a brief reprieve in the hour it took to drive to the command post of the 78th Mechanized Infantry Division.

Standard operating procedure demanded that no convoy be larger than three vehicles and closer than a kilometer to each other. Ruvelkan air power had always been a constant threat; while they were too far behind the front to be threatened by their helicopters, Acrean made and Ruvelkan operated fighters were always an issue. Kechichian could feel his blood pressure rising as he thought about the threat of enemy air strikes. The air defense brigade responsible for securing the Corps airspace insisted they had the situation under control; Kechichian could see the air defense chief in his mind, an overly optimistic Makedonian named Mazneikov who always carried a stupid grin on his face. His assurances that the Ruvelkans would not break through the shield his SAM batteries had formed hardly struck confidence in Kechichian.

Kechichian wasn’t really concerned about his safety though. The visit had been spontaneous and quickly planned, not long enough for Ruvelkan intelligence to detect or even decipher (His counterintelligence insisted that the Ruvelkans hadn’t broken Syaran codes; the General wasn’t so convinced). And even if there was a Ruvelkan Typhoon in a holding pattern in the sky, three random vehicles wasn’t a worthy enough target for a modern weapon system. If there was one thing Kechichian knew for sure, it was that the Ruvelkans were as desperate for munitions as the Syarans were.

That was perhaps the biggest surprise of the whole war. Not the ease at which the Fusiliers could infiltrate Syaran lines, or how much of a problem jamming was, but how quickly all the highly advanced weaponry and equipment had just...disappeared.

Before the war started Kechichian had sat in on numerous demonstrations and expos for all the advanced hardware that he was assured would end any future war faster than you could say “Precision guided munition”. The Ruvelkan and Syaran armies that had went to war in the summer of 2008 fielded some of the most advanced weaponry that Tyran had ever seen. It was all gone within a month or two.
It’s not that they hadn’t worked. On the contrary, the newest and latest surface-to-air missiles, main battle tanks, air superiority fighters, land attack cruise missiles, rocket-assisted munitions, they had all worked wonderfully; but everyone wanted them, and they were too expensive and too few in number to outfit every unit in the field. Soon they became so rare that they needed a four stars’ signature to authorize their usage; in the meantime the rest of the army had gotten by on whatever they could pull out of storage. Kechichian could recall shaking his head in disbelief as the trains had offloaded tanks that had last seen action in the Refusal War, then watched as engineers hastily welded on new optics and attached blocks of reactive armor that they hoped would stop Ruvelkan ATGMs. For all intents and purposes, they were refighting the Siduri War, just with new uniforms and automatic rifles.

There was no lighting war, no rapid breakthroughs or decisive campaigns; just a long, drawn out slugfest as Ruvelka and Syara attempted to bludgeon each other into submission. Kechichian’s force, the IX Corps, was strung out along a series of valleys and foothills, holding a rugged defensive perimeter as they recovered from the latest Ruvelkan counter-stroke. All things considered the Corps had handled the attack well enough, but as usual Syaran defenses had proven vulnerable to Fusiliers, and now the Corps was struggling to reconstitute itself before the Ruvelkans gave it another shot.

The actual threat of attack was minimal, and in fact most days the front was ‘quiet’. Actual combat, while terrifying, was an infrequent part of the war. Any Ruvelkan or Syaran soldier could confirm that they spent most of their time preparing, waiting for, and recovering from battle, than actually fighting in one. On the other hand, once combat was initiated, it tended to go one of three ways; a light engagement in which neither side fully committed to the fight, a lopsided slaughter in which one side was annihilated (a common case when Syarans ran into Ruvelkan ambushes), or a mutually destructive affair that left both sides exhausted and depleted. For while the overall war at an operational level was a slow moving grind, at the tactical level it was blisteringly fast, so much so that once engaged the lives of Syaran tankers could be measured in seconds.

Kechichian had been raised in the Clanner tradition, steeped in oral legends of past heroes and mythology, tested through countless trials and deeds. The war he was waging bore little resemblance to the campaigns he had learned as a child, so full of glory and honor and trial by combat. The war around him was ugly, brutal, random, and seemed like it would only be one after one side had exhausted its ability to wage war. That seemed more and more like Syara, as the internet, radio, and television all brought signs of danger from the homefront, signs the economy was buckling under the cost of the war, the increasing shortage of recruits and the growing concern among the general populace. Kechichian shoved all this aside, into some deep recesses of his mind, utterly refusing to pay it any attention. Such concerns were at contrast with everything he had been told as an adolescent, so he summarily ignored it. Let the politicians squawk, they weren’t the ones here on the front lines.

The command post of the 78th Mechanized Infantry Division was located in an abandoned elementary school. The childish drawings on the lockers and walls all spoke of a time when the building had been a place of learning, not war, but Kechichian ignored it, just like he ignored the terrified staff officers and NCOs that did their best to stay out of his way. He found the divisional staff in what had once been a classroom, huddled around a large table where they had placed a map of the division’s area of operations on top of. The deputy commander, a small Scitarian who wore the single star of a Brigadier, practically jumped when he saw Kechichian walk in, and shrewdly shouted the room to attention.

Kechichian dismissively waved his arm and gruffly told them to carry on, before bearing down on the brigadier and asked where Major General Yurukov was. Eager to not have to deal with the Clanner, he pointed at an adjacent room. Kechichian marched over to find the door open and Yurukov inside, conversing with a young Captain. Kechichian didn’t bother even looking the junior officer in the eye. “Leave us.”

The Captain, a young man who’s name tape read “Kostović”, didn’t need to be told twice. “Yes sir.” He said with a salute, and departed, leaving the two General Officers together. Kechichian appraised Yurukov. The Makedonian officer looked like he hadn’t slept in a week, and his face bore a thin but visible layer of grime. Despite his disheveled state he managed to snap to attention. “Sir, I wasn’t expecting you.”

“Well I was expecting that you would have your boys up on Phase Line Alexi like you were supposed to be two days ago, but I see you’re too busy chatting with your junior officers to care.”

Yurukov clenched and unclenched his jaw. “I was being debriefed by Captain Kostović regarding a recent engagement he had with a Fusilier Battalion near Hill 233A sir.”

“Well then maybe Captain Kostović can explain why your division is falling behind.”

“If you’ll follow me sir, I can explain our situation better.” Yurukov offered, gesturing back towards the main room. Kechichian grunted an acknowledgement, and followed Yurukov back to the map of the division’s AO. Yurukov pointed to the map and traced outlines with his finger while he explained. “Sir, we’ve been facing consistent blocking efforts by multiple Ruvelkan battalions around this forest boundary. We’ve been trying to suppress their movements with shelling coordinated with our own tactical groupings trying to seize key ground, but-”

“Are you really telling me that a few Ruvelkan battalions are tying down an entire mechanized division?” Kechichian interrupted, his temper rising. “Why are you not pinning down their exact locations with your recon elements and bombarding the hell out of them?”

“Sir, most of our recon elements were destroyed in the latest fighting. We’ve been having to rely on feedback from the Air Force’s drones, but because of the threat of enemy MANPADs, we’ve having to work with spotty coverage.”

“Then use your head, damn it.” Kechichian said. He jabbed a finger at a valley located north of the forest, and then turned and bisected it. “The Ruvelkans must have that whole valley under lock, but you’ve got an entire armored brigade sitting around doing nothing. Quit fucking around and get Colonel Bakalov moving.”

Yurukov blinked, almost in surprise and was quiet for a moment. Just when Kechichian was about to ask what the Major Generals’ major malfunction was, Yurukov said bluntly “Bakalov is dead sir. He got his head blown off by a sniper yesterday.”

This time it was Kechichian’s turn to fall silent as he pondered this new information while cursing his staff for failing to inform him of such a development. He was almost half-tempted to apologize, but settled for something less demeaning. “All Mother protect him, he was a good officer.”

He sighed, looking over the map again. Examining it again, he could understand why Yurukov was being so cautious; he was flying blind against an enemy of unknown strength in terrain that favored the defender. Part of him was now angry that he hadn’t realized the trouble the 78th was dealing with, but he couldn’t show any sympathy. Yurukov was after all one of his better commanders.

“Get your division in a single cohesive line along this main road.” He said, tracing the road with his finger. “If you can’t muster the ability to identify and isolate these Ruvelkan bastards, I’ll talk with Naroyan about lending you some of his recon assets.”

Yurukov sensed that he was getting on the Corps Commanders good side, but was smart enough not to press it too much. “Yes sir.”

“Now, tell me about your supply situation.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quen Minh
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Quen Minh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:09 am

Huỳnh Thảo Lin, "Séductrice Série," Found Guilty, Imposed Unique Sentence

Courtroom sketch of Lin by Long Uyển Tâm

On the morning of 15 May, in the courtroom of the Haigia District Court, Huỳnh Thảo Lin, the infamous serial killer known by her sobriquet "Séductrice Série," was found guilty by Judge Quách Xuân Vũ on five counts of murder, four counts of dismemberment and one count of necrophilia.

Regarding her sentence, Judge Vũ has imposed on her 5 life sentences with 10 years in solitary confinement. Motive for the rather unique sentence was to, according to the Judge, "reflect on the victims she claimed and the number of lives she has ruined."

Overall, the reaction of the killer was said to have held no trace of remorse and no final words enunciated.

Afterwards, Lin was incarcerated at the Mạch Mạnh Thắng Correctional Facility, and resides in solitary at this moment.

Author: Uất Chính Hữu
Published: 15 May 2008
Last Edited: 7:30 PM, 15 May 2008

Stock Market

[MARKET CLOSED]

LKR2I ▲ 14,3754.93 · BDI ▼ 10,273.98 · AEPC ▲ 4,231.01 · ISEQ 1000 ▲ 1,294.35 · MEBB 500 ▼ 2,471.57 · SEPT 300 ▼ 2,393.32 · YCSE 500 ▲ 3,493.46

Other News

• Mixed Reactions from the Trial: Some Families Satisfied, Some Not
  • An Comprehensive Insight into the Macabre Work of the Séductrice Série
  • Boat Party on Fire in the Northern Adelaidines: 5 Injured
  • Tensions Rising in Western Siduri: Perpetuated by Syara and Ruvelka
  • Monsoon Season Lifted: Long Sunny Days Visible in the Southern Half

| About Us | Editorial Policy | Jobs & Internships | Accessibilities | Contact Us |

© Tin Quoc News Network Co., Blue Sky Broadcasting Systems, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Last edited by Quen Minh on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis' best that you call my nation Quenmin.

"It is a useless life that is not consecrated to a great ideal” - Jose Rizal

“You call me a legendary general, but I think I’m no different from my soldiers" - Võ Nguyên Giáp

"Learning never exhausts the mind" - Leonardo da Vinci

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Syara
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Syara » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 pm

October 24, 2009
Central Ruvelka

She was very pretty. Green eyes that nearly shined like emeralds against her fair skin. Her hair was a dirty blonde, but something was off. Maybe it was highlights, or it wasn’t her natural hair color. Either way it suited her, the wisps of her hair fluttering around her round face, occasionally brushing against her small nose. Her lips were party slightly, almost in gentle surprise. The straps of her helmet pressed into her skin a bit too tightly but helped frame her face well enough.

Radovan’s face twitched uncomfortably as he took in her features, trying as hard as he could to stop himself from revealing his emotions. He swallowed, a wave of nausea threatening to wash over him and bring the contents of his breakfast back to the light. Despite himself he couldn’t stop his eyes from darting down to what had been her torso, now just a mess of pulp, shattered bone and charred flesh. He forced himself to look away, stare at the mountains in the distance, and breathe. Cold, sharp Ruvelkan air entered his lungs and he exhaled deeply.

He looked back down at the body. She was young. If he had to guess, younger than 25. He blinked, suddenly feeling a wave of emotion wash over him. She was someone’s daughter, probably someone’s sister, partner, friend, cousin. Now she was just a memory, a name printed in a mass-produced letter delivered to a grieving family. Or maybe she had no one. That made it seem even worse, the idea that this women had only herself in this world and how her life had been taken from her.

Taken by him.

A foot away from her body was the crater, a few feet deep and wide. It must have landed right in front of her, either because she was standing there or because she was running somewhere else. Radovan briefly wondered which crew had fired the round. They’d never know for sure, the only thing certain is that Radovan had given the order and because of that this young woman was dead.

Radovan closed his eyes. He inhaled, then slowly let the build up in his lungs escape. He opened his eyes again, staring at the jagged mountains that dominated the distant horizon. “All-Mother forgive me.” He muttered.

It was easy to hate the Ruvelkans at times. It was easy to hate the way they lurked in the shadows, melted into the forests, fired their rifles then ran off never to be seen again, shrouded by the rugged lands they called home. There were plenty of times Radovan had cursed them, hoping they would all be damned to Tartarus for their sins and crimes. But most of the time he couldn’t do it. He couldn’t forgive them, as forgiveness was not his to bestow, but try as he might he couldn’t come to hate them like some of his brothers did.

It was hard to hate the Ruvelkans right now. Radovan glanced around. Pillars of ugly black smoke, the kind that comes from burning fuel, were everywhere. In a distant hilltop he could make out the smoldering remains of a helicopter, its badly twisted metal carcass embedded into the hillside. It was one of the larger ones, the one that doubled as a troop transport on top of its rocket pods and chain guns. Ruvelkan helicopters were fearsome foes, swooping through the air and popping up from behind hills and trees to unleash their arsenal before quickly retreating. The bigger ones though were slow though, and not very agile. When they got on the jump on someone it rarely went well for the poor sucker, but if the reverse happened, the chopper was usually too slow to escape. This one had been gutted by a MANPAD from one of the Syaran air defense platoons. Scattered around the wreckage were the bodies of the squad the chopper had been carrying. Radovan was glad he wasn’t close to it. One disturbing corpse was enough for today.

He looked over his shoulder. A lot more bodies were laying around, twisted and contorted among the random patches of snow, dirt, and mud. Taking once last glance at the body of the young woman who’s death he was responsible, Radovan turned away and walked off while his lips offered up a silent prayer for the soul of the young woman.

Scattered around the area in a loose perimeter were the mechanized infantry of the battalion, with combat now over they were focusing on setting up their new positions and conducting accountability of their weaponry and equipment. A large Myrmidon sat in the center, it’s reactive armor still intact but residual scorch marks still apparent in some places. The tank engine was running but the armored vehicle sat motionless while atop the turret the commander gestured orders to his subordinates. Radovan approached the tank and nodded when he locked eyes with the tank commander. Placing his hands on the chassis just above the Treadwell he lifted himself up, feeling the subtle vibrations of the engine under his palms. The Myrmidon was, surprisingly, not very loud, making it easy to communicate.

The commander, a handsome tall Makedonian by the name of Major Obetkovski, smiled warmly when Radovan leveled with him atop the turret. “Nice rounds, huh?”

Radovan nodded, images of the dead girl flashing in his mind. “Your guys were on point.” He said without emotion. The Major didn’t seem to notice.

“Yeah, the fuckers didn’t even run for the trees. I think we caught them with their pants down. One of my captains said he stumbled on their fuel depot and caught their technicians empty handed.” His grin widened. “Eyes as big as dinner plates.”

Radovan nodded with his expression still blank. “I’m going to bring my batteries up and have them set up for 360 arcs.”

Obetkovski nodded. “Think we might have some trouble?”

“With Fusiliers, anything’s possible.”

Obetkovski’s grin turned into a grimace. “Too fucking right. Ah well, if they want round two, they can have it.”

Radovan simply nodded and dismounted the tank, making his way for his command vehicle. Around him the rest of the battalion continued to fortify their position; fighting positions were dug, machine guns set up, weapons reloaded and cleared of jams or debris. Radovan couldn’t help but notice the men around him seemed a bit chipper than usual. They were laughing, jawing, occasionally tossing snowballs that were as much dirt as ice at one another. Part of Radovan couldn’t blame them. This had in fact, been a rather crushing victory.

He passed by the overturned wreckage of a Ruvelkan armored personnel carrier. Its undercarriage was a mess, and the three upright wheels has been shredded by shrapnel. A discarded Ruvelkan helmet lay on the ground nearby, along with an empty magazine. There was another Ruvelkan body here, part of it crushed by the armored vehicle. Radovan didn’t allow himself another glance. He had seen enough.

Obetkovski hadn’t been wrong. Victories like these were rare these days. Radovan passed an abandoned Ruvelkan fighting position, still occupied by the Ruvelkans who had held it, and now would remain there until buried. Radovan didn’t recognize the patches on their uniforms, but he remembered enough from the brief. 1st Regiment, 75th Royal Infantry Division, 5th Army, 1st Central Front. Under strength by about 20-30%. 2nd Category Division, composed primarily of conscripts. Mauled at the Battle of Sagerejo by the Syaran 51st Mechanized Infantry Division. Reconstituted behind the Karillas with remnants from the shattered 56th Infantry Division.

They had dispatched recon in force early in the morning, trying to probe Radovan’s Brigade for weaknesses. After the failure of their Autumn Offensive further south the Ruvelkans needed to keep the Syarans on their toes to avoid any major counter-offensive. A recon platoon backed up by a couple of IFVs had pushed out of the southern forest and unwittingly wandered right into the fire zone of one of the brigade’s forward security detachments. No survivors.

Less than 30 minutes later 3rd Battalion engaged and eliminated another platoon sized patrol. Radio intercepts picked up frantic transmissions between separate Ruvelkan observation posts and revealed there was now a major gap in their forward warning area. Within an hour the Syaran quick reaction force, reinforced to near battalion size with a company of armor were racing forward to exploit it.

The Ruvelkan regimental headquarters must have panicked, because the advance guard ran straight into three companies of infantry backed up by two platoons of Ghost tanks. In the open like that, it wasn’t really a fight. To their credit the Ghosts fought to the death, but outside their usual ambush positions their thin armor and 105mm gun couldn’t stop the Syaran Myrmidons. At the cost of 2 AFVs destroyed and 15 dead the Syarans continued, this time the entire brigade on the move. Either a breakdown in communications or some other error left the Ruvelkans reeling; their regiment headquarters were overrun by 2nd Battalion’s tank company and the rest of the regiment was decimated while frantically trying to establish defensive positions. The hill Radovan was descending had been their last redoubt, hastily occupied by what was left of their under strength reserve battalion and overrun in less than an hour.

Radovan hardly took part in the battle. His detachment had set up exactly twice, fired four salvos in total and that was it. This was by every measure an easy, textbook victory. The kind of wins that were hard to come by these days. And yet, he felt no satisfaction.

He felt sick.

Nearly two years now they had been fighting. Radovan had been in more battles than he could count. He had fired more shells than he though physically possible, been shot, watched his soldiers and friends die, heard men scream in agony as they burned alive inside their tanks, watched in gut wrenching horror as a Fusilier with no legs attempt to crawl back to his own lines. Radovan felt his stomach churn with unease. He stopped walked, shutting his eyes tight.

He wanted to go home. To back to his house, his temple, his friends, and his old life. He didn’t want to fight anymore, he didn’t want to kill, he didn’t want to spend another single day in this forest of frost and death. He didn’t want to be responsible for any more death and destruction than had already been laid onto his conscience.

Radovan opened his eyes and looked up at the sky. As usual it was bleak, overcast made darker by the pillars of smoke drifting into the atmosphere. Somewhere behind the cloud cover was the sun, but Radovan couldn’t see even a hint of sunshine. All he could do was stare at the dreary sky that offered no answers or comfort. Radvan recalled reading somewhere that the longer you stared into the abyss, the more it stared back at you.

He sighed, and slowly made his way back towards his unit. For now, at least, this war was his world.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Azurlavai
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurlavai » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:54 am

September 4, 994
Lisui League

The warm surf lapped at his boots, drawing his attention down a brief moment. The leather, while made of tough hide from a mighty elk, had endured much weathering and hardship on the voyage across the world. The water seeped into a dozen small holes and cracks, but it was refreshing and comforting to feel it while striding across the sand, as opposed to chilling and fright-inducing while in the longship. Behind him, the dragon-headed vessel had beached itself on the foreign shore, it’s roaring visage high and proud, looking down on their enemies as it had assaulted the sand. More like it, a dozen in their raiding party, had taken up residence as well, red and white striped sails daubed with runes and emblems of ravens, wolves and boars still billowing in the offshore gust that had pulled them up here.

An arrow landed in the sand next to his foot, and he glanced down as he was brought back to the real world by screaming. Screaming of his comrades, streaming past to charge the shingle at the far end of the beach, many laying in the sand bleeding as the storm of arrows rained down on them. The screams of the skræling defenders as they surged forth to repulse the invaders, simple militia last year now replaced by warriors in chainmail with bucklers and iron swords. They hadn’t come here to die on these swords and under these bows, but the dichotomy of seeking easy plunder and a good battle at the same time was hard to ignore. Sometimes, the balance topped one way or another.

They were Vikings, after all.

“Áfram menn! Óðinn er með okkur!” shouted Harald Blacktooth, their chieftain and leader of this war party. He leapt down from his dragon ship, spear held high as he surged over the sand, warriors wielding axes, shields and swords charging after him. Chainmail rattled, weapons smacked into shields and the Vikings bowed their round-helmed heads to surge into the enemy line. The skrælings were good fighters, they had learned their lessons well since last years’ raid. But Blacktooth and his Vikings had been to the far south, the land of the Caliphates of sand and scrub, and had faced the Saksónar of the north and the Osrai of the west, and other skrælings here in the Far East. They would not be held back.

One of the Vikings ran through the mass of skrælings, the enemy speaking in some foreign language that was impossible to understand, and suddenly found himself halted in the melee by the sight of a file of soldiers with shields and spears standing in close formation. It was confusing to see their large shields and seemingly light weaponry, but then they began advancing. The sight led the Norseman to opt for caution and return back to the larger Viking formation.

The curious sight of the skrælings massed together with shields advancing came to Harald’s attention as well. “Hvað er þetta, skjaldarveggur?”, he said with a laugh. He too thought their long spears looked weird, a wall of shields with points sticking out like a hedgehog or porcupine.

The skrælings continued to advance at walking pace until they were close to the Vikings, closing one flank of the defense. As their exhausted comrades fought to keep the Vikings at bay, some dodging frantically to compensate for their poorer or non-existent armour, and archers and slingers from a distance shot at the Vikings despite the disadvantage of the flat terrain on the beach, these skrælings held up their spears in formation and moved against the Vikings.

Harald had to give it to them. Their superior reach and discipline were exemplary, but the raiders held shields of their own, and weapons much more suited for close work. It took some maneuvering, and more than a few of his men dying to determined thrusts from the surprisingly skilled warriors before the first Viking broke through, shoving past the spears to ram the edge of his shield into a skræling’s face, going to work with his axe after. The wall did not buckle so easily, and they gave Blacktooth and his men quite a valiant struggle before the line finally bowed and toppled, the skrælings falling back and the Vikings chasing them down.

“Á, menn! Til borgarinnar!” Blacktooth crowed, wrenching an arrow out of his shoulder and holding his broken and bloodied spear aloft. “Spyrjið ekki, því að guðirnir hafa svarað! Við verðum rík í dag!”

The Vikings would go on to sack the skræling city, taking valuables, food and prisoners as they saw fit. But Blacktooth’s raiders slew only those who got in their way, spared those in hiding or who fled with their hands empty. For those who stood, there was no quarter, and the warband made itself fat and heavy with plunder this day.

These events would not be forgotten, even a thousand years later, when the two peoples called themselves something different, and their conflict was over far more abstract reasons. But the pages of history are fickle, and the events of Blacktooth’s Terror were written down in both history books, though facts would become muddled.

So turns history.
Last edited by Azurlavai on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
*If your positions are firmly set and you are prepared to take the enemy assault on, he will bypass you.
*If your ambush is properly set, the enemy won't walk into it.
*If your flank march is going well, the enemy expects you to outflank him.
~Murphy's Laws of War

Knichus
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Knichus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:07 pm

The Nycero Gazette

"The War in Ruvelka: Dispatch One"

By Luis Miguel Castejón

4 July, 2009

The highway out of Kaposvár would normally be teeming with thousands of cars and trucks as Ruvelkan tourists, eager to enjoy their summer away from the frigid mountains of the Kurillas, piled on to a mass exodus of summer getaways along the northern Ruvelkan coast. The beaches of northern Ruvelka are usually outshined by their cousins in neighboring Syara, too many of them studded with rocky outcroppings where Ruvelka’s central highlands finally meet the sea. They have a special charm to them however, a homely sense of comfort you rarely get on the swarmed beaches of Makedon to the west.

The roads are still packed, clogged even, with lorries, trucks, and automobiles. But instead of glinting under the summer sun, they smolder and smoke with the remnants of fires. Scorch marks cover the land, asphalt lies in chunks where coherent roads used to be, and the acrid smell of burning rubber throws pillars of ugly and thick black smoke into the air. As we walk between the columns of scorched steel and aluminum, bodies occasionally appear. Some are burnt to a crisp, scarcely recognizable as human. Others are surprisingly devoid of wounds, but the empty lidless eyes staring into the beyond give them away as corpses.

The Syaran soldiers nearby shuffle amid the ruin, picking at the occasional carcass, both metal and flesh, for anything of note. Some are looking for trophies, personal artifacts like watches, buckles, jewelry. Most are looking for something more useful; ammunition from the various Ruvelkan weapons that fire similar cartridges of Syaran guns, tools, and other equipment. Rations are passed over unceremoniously; the Syarans seem to be of a universal opinion that Ruvelkan food is poor in quality and vastly inferior to their own.

Less than 36 hours ago we were wide awake in our tent, the booming sounds of artillery crashing in the distance. Kaposvár burned like a massive bonfire, entire city blocks collapsing like liquid under the shattering shells of Syaran artillery. The Syarans in the north of Ruvelka were evidently unwilling to go through the urban slog that their brothers further south had experienced in Sagerejo. The Syaran commanders I tried speaking with were obviously tight-lipped about their plans, but they did admit they had the city encircled and were tightening the noose. Every now and then there would be the distant boom of a howitzer, but no explosion followed; leaflets urging the garrison to surrender instead fluttered softly to the ground.

The Ruvelkans swore they would defend Kaposvár to the last bullet. Based on all the casings we found they either did so or got pretty close. We awoke in the early morning to a slight breeze and the marching of thousands of Ruvelkan prisoners-of-war back west to holding camps behind the front lines. The Ruvelkans looked exhausted, their boots caked with mud and their uniforms damp with sweat, blood, and oil. What photos we took captured either young men and women who were barely able to fill out their uniforms or middle-aged conscripts who looked like they were scarcely able to carry a rifle.

The Syarans, many of them young boys who seem to be in the same age range as many of the Ruvelkan troops, don’t sneer but look down on the Ruvelkans as they march by. A few make comments here and there, but for the most part the marching columns pass without incident. Victories like these used to be marked by celebrations, like the hoisting of the Syaran colors over Sarud and Balatonalmád, but now the scene is more muted. A year of war has dulled the spirits of the Syarans, who now meander about their newly conquered city, silently observing the destruction their weapons have brought. From what we can tell Kaposvár isn’t as badly hit as Sagerejo was, where less than a third of the original structures still stand. But Kaposvár is still in ruin; many old and famous buildings and monuments are now rubble, and bodies litter the streets where the Ruvelkans decided they would rather die than cede ground. The Syarans have done a good job removing their own bodies from the scene, but the burned out hulls of their trucks and armored vehicles are a reminder that their victory cost them.

Gálvez brews us coffee near our tent, nestled in the small suburb of Töröktarcsa. Töröktarcsa is relatively unharmed. Rows of houses and streets filled with small shops still stand, though many boarded up from when the Ruvelkans first evacuated the city. The monument in the town square says that Töröktarcsa was an important site for the Imperial Separatist capture of Kaposvár during the Ruvelkan Civil War, but today’s Ruvelkans decided it was not necessary for fighting the Syarans. If the Ruvelkans are ever able to return home, the people of Töröktarcsa can take some small comfort in that the most they will have to deal with is layers of dust.

A few thousand Ruvelkans remain, mostly the elderly or those unable to evacuate. Szűts Viktória, a 76 year old grandmother whose grandchildren were evacuated east of the Kurillas nine months ago, serves us tea and biscuits. It’s the last of her supply, she tells us, and now that the city is under Syaran control she’s not sure when she’ll next be able to serve. The old woman doesn’t seem to be perturbed by the events surrounding her, despite the slight sadness in her eyes from not seeing her family.

“One day we’ll be together again.” She tells me with a sad smile. “One day.”

Taking care of the local populace in occupied Ruvelka is a burden that has largely fallen into the lap of international aid organizations, one of the few things left to salvage Syara’s international reputation. A truck carrying Delkoran decals drives through in the afternoon containing care packages for the civilian populace; mostly dried foods and canned goods, and of course bottled water. Young mothers with even younger children and the elderly gather to receive the supplies.

No one here is well fed, but starvation is fortunately a ways away. There are no military aged men or women in good health around to be soon. The closest we see is a young man in a wheelchair being pushed by his much older father. It’s clear that, despite the constant threat of Ruvelkan infiltrators, the Syarans don’t see these people as a threat. And despite the general apathy the Syarans have to their newly-found `citizens’, the Ruvelkans are quick to make themselves scarce when a Syaran armored car passes through, avoiding eye contact with the squad of Syaran soldiers riding atop.

The Syarans put on a front of not fearing the Ruvelkans, but whispers of “sniper” and “Fusilier” are enough to send them scrambling for cover. We hear their chants and early morning prayers just as dawn approaches, but these would-be zealots appear more exhausted than fervent. It’s clear that the summer fighting, the fiercest the war has seen thus far, has taken its toll on them. The casualty figures have not been released yet, but it’s clear that the offensives have incurred tremendous loss of life. That the Ruvelkans appear to have suffered more is not much respite for a Syaran army that appears increasingly unable to make good on its losses.

Despite living near them for a few months now, telling them apart is still difficult. The Syarans insist it's easy; the Makedonians are the tall and arrogant, the Galanians the big and slow, the Scitarians the small and sly, and the Hayren short and stocky. The lattermost have led to some mumbling of a “Hayren civil war”; Ruvelka employs as many ethnic Hayren soldiers in their ranks as the Syarans do, but the Syaran Hayren we spoke to recognize no such thing. Faith, they say, matters far more than anything else.

The Syaran government, no doubt wary of problematic implications of such a term, have denounced any claims of the struggle being a “holy war”, but it hasn’t escaped usage by some Syarans. It’s hard to find a Syaran soldier who doesn’t invoke the name of his All-Mother, the Titan Gaia, in some form or another. Even the most coarse and disconcerting can’t seem to shake the Zobethos faith they were raised in. Faith had shined through the war in some surprising cases. In the weeks before the fall of Kaposvár the bodies of fallen Ruvelkans could be used to define the ever shrinking circle of control the Principality held over the city. Yet every night unarmed Ruvelkans would slink from their trenches and fox holes to recover the bodies of their comrades. Syaran soldiers, sometimes just a few meters away, would watch and do nothing, unwilling to break the Syaran customs of the dead deserving a proper burial. The Syarans have no problem breaking homes and bodies, but they won’t break taboos.

“War crimes” have become a common topic on talk shows and round tables across the region. At night we sit around the radio and what televisions remain operational to listen to foreigners discuss reports of atrocities and criminal acts. Both belligerents, of course, paint the same picture. The other side is committing horrendous acts of violence and violating international law. The Sarrista Accords, they say, are under constant attack by the other side.

The truth is less alarmist, but not completely clean, as we have seen first hand. Ruvelkan women raped by Syaran troops, Syaran prisoners summarily executed by Ruvelkan soldiers. Both sides try to clamp down; the Ruvelkans arrest anyone they find executing POWs and the Syarans shoot their rapists in uniform. But this is a war of millions of people. Some things will inevitably slip through the cracks.

The more troublesome are the acts that blur the line between criminal and unsettling. In Aszód the Syarans run power cables through the canals and rivers near the city, electrocuting Ruvelkan saboteurs and infiltrators trying to sneak through the lines of the siege. Ruvelkan Fusiliers drag back wounded Syarans who scream for help from comrades who rush forward, only to be gunned down in the resulting ambush. Syaran guns shell without concern as to whether the ones on the receiving end are active combatants or wounded lying in field hospitals. Ruvelkan special forces poison water and food supplies leading Syaran troops to die vomiting up their own blood.

War can make you sick. A few years ago Gertrude Burkhart, Erica Hartmann, Shirley Hunter, Fracesca Lucchini, Mio Sakamoto, and Minna Dietlinde Wilcke highlighted the harsh reality of war; you may be fighting for a just cause, but in the end you kill people. You end lives that were nurtured to existence by a loving family, and deny them a chance to grow old. Both the Syarans and Ruvelkans will say that their actions are justified in light of the struggle they are facing. Who knows what will be said when there is finally peace, and we have proper time to reflect on what went down in western Ruvelka in what people have taken to calling “the Zemplen War”.
" Was I sleeping, while the others suffered? Am I sleeping now? Tomorrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of today? "
-Samuel Becket

Knichus
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Knichus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:00 am

The Nycero Gazette

"The War in Ruvelka: Dispatch Two"

By Luis Miguel Castejón

5 July, 2009

The satellite television in our van lets us home in on what the rest of the world is saying. The more distant the nation from the war the more matter of fact the reporting is. The Quenminese news anchor chatters away without much notice, a curious sincere falsetto in her voice as she lists the increasing number of Ruvelkan urban areas that have fallen under Syaran control. The Ossorian reporter, talking from Zovahr, speaks plainly and without much detail. Our own Knichan news reporters make mention of certain specifics without much additional information.

The tune and tone change the closer you get. The Acrean newsman speaks in a grim tone while the Æþurheim reporter gleefully lists off statistics and names. Then the Ruvelkan Chancellor, Edviná Molnár, takes up our screen. Her still firm and determined tone can almost cover up the exhaustion in her eyes as she reiterates her willingness to fight until Ruvelkan soil is cleared of invaders. Almost, but the occasional blink or pause reveals that the Molnár is, on some level, very tired of this war.

She’s not alone. The Syaran soldiers that wander around the ruins of Kaposvár are tired too. Tired of fighting, and worried of the prospect of another bitter winter that seems to come far sooner here than in their native land. They want to go home, to their wives, wines, and villas. Hundreds of years of ethnic blood feuding can’t seem to keep pace with the meat grinder of mechanized warfare.

Some readers back home question how we can so easily filter through the front lines, walk around a war zone and not constantly be stopped and interrogated. With so many reports of saboteurs, infiltrations, and special forces it may seem insane, but it’s not that surprising. We look nothing like either Ruvelkans or Syarans, who know each other too well to confuse either Condottieri or Sadi with one another. Even if we weren’t wearing our press badges and insignias, it’d be obvious we weren’t from here. That has its perks.

The Syaran soldiers are never short of opinions or too shy to share them. They talk a lot in an almost sing-song tone that clashes somewhat with their constantly rolling Rs, same length vowels, and clustered consonants, and they march in song and step that seems to belie the stereotype of fatalist religious fanatics. But it bleeds through elsewhere; Syaran discipline is almost draconian and deviance is punished harshly. The Syarans don’t suffer discontent within their ranks lightly.

The Ruvelkans appear a more disciplined lot, though in truth they’re just more quiet in general. Every Ruvelkan we talk to seems reserved and shy, and their voices can be as soft as the snowfall that blankets their country every winter. Some would interpret this as a quiet confidence in themselves and their cause, but it just seems to be their natural temperament. They are not an outspoken people and it shows in our interactions with them. The reception is not quite chilly as many foreign writers sometimes portray it as but coaxing a conversation out of a Ruvelkan can be troublesome. But once you get them speaking, they can go on and on and on.

You’d be hard pressed to find a Ruvelkan who does not know someone who has already been killed or wounded. It’d be even harder to find someone who hasn’t had a family member conscripted or evacuated. By some accounts, some 40 million Ruvelkans have been evacuated east of the Kurillas, living in tent cities and fed by foreign supplies of food and medicine. Most of Ruvelka’s farmland has either been overrun or bombed, and the rugged country simply can’t support its native population any longer. Not while so much soil is under Syaran control.

Ruvelka is a big country and overpopulated to a degree. The density per square kilometer doesn’t tell the whole story; huge chunks of the population are crowded into a handful of urban areas. Ruvelka’s vast forests and mountain ranges may make for scenic escapes and monuments to the world’s natural beauty, but they leave little room for the growing of crops. During peace Ruvelka can grow just enough to sustain her populace, but during war time its proven impossible. Much has been made about the threat of a Syaran capture of Mátészalka, but the threat of Syara securing the Kenderes steppe and cutting off Ruvelka from shipments of Mansuri grains and foodstuffs are equally terrifying to the poor souls in Debrecen tasked with feeding Ruvelka’s displaced population.

It’s hard to hate the Ruvelkans. They’re too quiet, isolated, and often overshadowed by their loud and boisterous neighbors around them, but deep within their national spirit is a desire to simply live their lives, tucked away from the rest of the world in their snowy mountain kingdom. The mountains that according to the ancient Makedonians once spawned the Ruvelkan people onto the world now stand as snow capped sentinels, bulwarks against Syara’s hordes that spill across the flatter plains and thick forests of western Ruvelka. Somewhere amid the mountain peaks and valleys lay Debrecen, where the Ruvelkan government presumably plots the recapture of their territory.

We bundle everything we have, sleeping bags, notepads, small parcels of food and clothes, and pile into our van. There are enough side roads and local pathways that we can manage to find a way through the urban buildup around Kaposvár and Kunhegyes, though it takes us over three hours. We siphon fuel from abandoned Ruvelkan cars along the way, some of them abandoned in a rush and others that have clearly been sitting there for months. You’d be surprised how often we’ve been able to survive on that.

So we head east for the Ruvelkan lines. Popular media portrays the front lines of the war as static positions marked by barbed wire and miles of trenches. While you can find that in some places, here where the battles are more recent and the gains/losses more fresh, neither side has had ample time to dig in. Large tracts of land look largely unmarked from the scars of war, only to be punctuated by a column of tanks and trucks, turrets sometimes tracking us as we drive past. The large words printed on our van may not stop bullets, but at least it seems to steady some trigger fingers.

After hours on the backroads, we come to a checkpoint manned by Syaran troops. They’ve dug their tank into the dirt so only the turret and cannon are visible, pointed eastward towards some unseen enemy, and right where we’re heading. They stare at us like we’re from another world, and in many ways we are. They search our vehicle but spare us any overt acts of thievery. The officer in charge asks where we’re going, and I say we’re looking for Ruvelkans.

He laughs. “Us too. If you see any, let us know.”

He points towards the end of his tank barrel. “That’s as far as the Commonality goes. Beyond there is flanker land.”

Flanker, or “krilo” is the Syaran nickname for Ruvelkans, or at least one of the less crude ones. Two thousand years ago Ruvelkans guarded the flanks of Syaran phalanxes, an arrangement that carried the Makedonians from the Sanguine Sea to the sands of my native Knichus. The Empire that spawned such a situation is long gone, but some things remain. For a country that has long existed under Syaran dominion, it is a slightly bitter reminder. The Ruvelkans, for their own part, label the Syarans “farkasok”, wolves. It’s not a coincidence that in many Ruvelkan fairy tales and children’s stories, the wolf is a symbol of malice and cruelty.

We drive on for another forty minutes before we are stopped along an empty road by a single Ruvelkan soldier with a raised clenched fist. A dozen more appear out of the woodwork after we come to a stop; had they not revealed themselves we probably would have never known they were there. They inspect our van, our equipment, our clothes and insignias, then send us on our way with few words. One might wonder how people can move so freely with a war going on, but it’s surprisingly simple. The Ruvelkans and Syarans have been blood enemies for too long to mistake foreigners for each other.

We’re not exactly close to Soltvadkert but the signs of battle are spread out enough that we can see its aftermath. Reports of what happened are sketchy, but there was a big battle that saw the Ruvelkans hold off a Syaran attack, after which the Syarans withdrew back west and besieged the Ruvelkan twin cities of Kaposvár and Kunhegyes. Here and there we see some small indications of the fighting; scorch marks and craters, abandoned trucks and personal equipment.

We pass by a relative rarity; an Acrean truck, riddled with bullets and tires punctured, but otherwise alright. No sign of a serious battle or firefight, leaving us to speculate what happened. Friendly fire? A roving patrol of Syarans? Who knows. There’s no blood to be found, so whoever was involved was either lucky or had cleaning supplies on hand. A mystery for another time.

Much has been made of the involvement of the Eracuran rivals in the war. The more alarmist warnings of a next Great War breaking out have thankfully fallen silent, but every now and then they grab all the media attention. If anything they have been overstated. Most estimates place the amount of Nordic soldiers involved in the fighting at half a million. For comparison, there are nine million Syaran and Ruvelkan soldiers fighting and dying. While in some sectors you can find plenty of them, the Nordics are significantly outnumbered.

They leave their marks in other ways. The Ruvelkans don’t say much even when we ask them about their Acrean allies and Æþurian enemies. They’re happy for the help and don’t seem to care whether or not the Æþurians are present. Ruvelkans aren’t bloodthirsty enough to say, “They all bleed the same '', but you can guess that’s somewhere close to the vicinity of how they feel. The Ruvelkans are too utilitarian for that. They’re more thankful for the supplies and fuel the Acreans provide, and the other forms of aid that go not to Ruvelkan units but to their camps and tent cities further east.

The Syarans don’t have a high opinion of the Eracuran soldiers in general. The Nordics are too blunt and uncreative for their tastes. We asked the Syaran troops their opinion of their Æþurian comrades and the response was likening them to sledgehammers; powerful and dangerous, but quite literally only capable of one action: Slamming into the enemy with immense power and strength. The Acreans are skilled, and their weaponry is powerful, but they rely on finesse and technology to fight their battles. The Syarans are being braggadocious when they say they run circles around the Acrean troops, but at Soltvadkert it was the Acrean armor that had to fall back to avoid being outflanked. The Acreans are saying it was the Ruvelkans who gave ground too quickly, and the Ruvelkans say the Acreans were too one dimensional. And of course, the Syarans say they beat them because they’re better. If that was true, one would think that Soltvadkert would have fallen to the Syarans.

Neither Syarans nor Ruvelkans seem to have an affinity for the Eracurans. The Ruvelkans mostly keep quiet, but the Syarans aren’t afraid to voice their opinions. Apart from the Svinians, whom some Syarans consider related owing to their shared language family, and their Æþurian allies, most Syarans we spoke don’t have much to say about the northern continent. They lack the disdain for the Shalumites that the Æþurians share, and recognize the Ossorians for their spirits and sailing, though the latter doesn’t seem to impress them; “Sailors are weak men.”

For some, there is no world outside the war. As we pass through the Ruvelkan lines we can see that their victory here hasn’t done much to improve their spirits. Many of them have homes further west, including the cities that now are under Syaran control. The bloodletting of the previous three months may have stopped for now, but there is now time to mourn and think of their friends that have passed on to another life. Here and there are hastily dug graves and impromptu memorials dedicated to comrades that have lost their lives in defense of the Grand Principality. Empty helmets along grave markers sometimes follow us down the road for miles.

We come across a field hospital set up in an empty field near what we presume used to be warehouses. We can’t find the town name, but Gálvez theorizes that this close to Mátészalka we must be near a transportation hub where trucks and trains carrying offloaded cargo from the ports stop over before heading onward to the rest of Ruvelka. The stench from the hospital and the screaming keeps us away from the goriest of scenes, so we settle for the secondary set of tents where the recovering lay. Uniforms lay in tatters among rows of cots, some slick and some dirty. The bodies that fill them out are paler than normal and look exhausted, but at least they’re alive. The same mixture of old and young greet us with wide open and lidded eyes.

We’re in luck. Sitting on one of her cots, calf bandaged several times and awake enough to carry on a conversation is Hajnalka Juhász, a helicopter pilot. Not an attack helicopter, but a utility, an ARH8. She relays to us that she was shot down a few weeks prior, managed to escape back to friendly lines but lost track of her copilot while being transferred from casualty care to hospital. Despite the fact that much of the tissue on her left leg has been burned away, she wants to get back to flying as soon as possible.

There’s an eagerness behind her eyes, but it's nearly covered by the exhaustion that radiates from her body. Most of the Ruvelkan soldiers we encounter are thin and look almost sickly. It’s not any actual disease or malnutrition, but the war has taken its toll. Spirits have been weighed down by months of bloody and seemingly futile fighting. Many of their friends are gone or irrecoverably scarred. Hajnalka speaks of her determination to get back in the fight, and it carries with it a sense of strong emotional weight. Her two children are currently sleeping in a tent outside Zalaegerszeg, eating by the spoonful out of cans from across Tyran. Her husband, unable to serve because of a bad set of lungs, writes to her with photos of their children attached. Her most prized possession is a small photo of her family from before war, something she prioritized saving from the wreckage of her helo above her pistol. It’s clear she’s not scared of dying; she’s scared of never seeing her children again.

We could talk to Hajnalka for hours about her perspective, but our Sadi companion Darweshi urges us to move on. “Let the poor woman rest”, he says, in a baritone that makes it hard to argue with. We pass through the rest of the hospital collecting snippets here and there. To boast is alien to the introverted Ruvelkans, but there’s a quiet resolve to their spirits. They will keep fighting, and keep dying, to keep their country free. It’s hard not to root for them on some level.

We pack up by the evening and head east, looking for the refugee camps that will give us a truly humane look into this conflict. Not 20 minutes later we have to stop to let an extended convoy of Acrean vehicles drive past us. It’s a rare treat, though to our slight disappointment it’s a supply column of trucks rather than a convoy of tanks and howitzers. It’s clear from the pristine shape of their vehicles that this is a new deployment of troops, sent to relieve the Acrean soldiers currently fighting along the front line.

The Acreans have a shield of professionalism that means they’re never eager to speak with us, but they’re not unfriendly. If anything they’re confused, wondering who let us wander around the rear echelons. Occasional side glances wondering if we’re perhaps Syaran infiltrators remind us that while the Acreans may be fighting here, this is not truly their war. It’s easy to tell them apart from the Ruvelkans; each Acrean soldier seems to carry a collage of equipment and pieces of kit on their body, giving them an almost bulky outward appearance.

These are clearly fresh troops who have not been rotated through before. Apart from the pristine and neat appearance of their uniforms and weapons, the wide eyes they give each wreckage and crater they pass give it away. At one point when the convoy stops, some pile out to investigate a burned out Syaran personnel carrier, a few even snap photos. They quietly and quickly pile back into their trucks when they stumble upon the charred remains of the crew laying nearby.

Welcome to the Zemplen War. They’ll learn soon enough, either from the Ruvelkans or their fellow comrades already in country. Everyone’s baptism of fire comes soon enough. As the convoy finally passes, we wonder which one of them will never return home. Acrean casualties have not been that heavy, but whenever they do die it tends to make the news. On some level that seems almost insulting to the Ruvelkans who had died en masse since the war started, or even to the Syarans. Then again, to many of them the war has become their world. The occasional Eracuran death is a reminder that there is indeed something beyond the confines of this conflict.

The question is who will leave to see it.
" Was I sleeping, while the others suffered? Am I sleeping now? Tomorrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of today? "
-Samuel Becket

Acrea
Attaché

Founded: Aug 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrea » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:49 pm

The Journal of Nadia Sjöström
18 June 2010
"Somewhere", Northern Ruvelka

If there's something that I never thought I'd take back home with me, it's definitely going to be the smell. That's the funny part about the news. Every outlet loves to show the grit and grime and horror of war, but there's nothing that strikes me more than the perpetual, often acrid, stench. And by the gods, does the air reek today. Did? No, I think I'll write this entry in the present. Alain says the stories sound better that way, and who am I to question his wisdom?

We're driving along a pockmarked road in what I could only describe as the middle-of-absolutely-nowhere Ruvelka. Abandonment and desolation are the words that come to mind as I gaze out the window of our van. There's no life to be found, only the burnt-out husks of various military vehicles; Ruvelkan wrecks from years ago that are now rusted and overgrown, and burnt-out Syaran husks that are much more recent. Some are still even smoldering.

The small signs hinting at this week's grand offensive were there. The usual Acrean troop rotations were interrupted, and the shipments of materiel from Mátészalka felt like they practically tripled since February. The supplies didn't just go to our own troops, but also to the Ruvelkans. I don't think I've ever seen so many Ruvelkan forces re-equipped and refreshed so quickly since we arrived. Everything seemed to be brought up to the front: men, tanks, trucks, heavy guns, and whatever else you could think of. I can't imagine that the Syarans were oblivious to it, but considering this past week I can only assume that they didn't prepare in kind simply because they couldn't.

Much has been said about the events of the past few days, both on the ground and on the airwaves. The rapid advance of the Ruvelkan lines caught us off guard. For the first week the offensive seemed to progress like many that came before it, though perhaps with more ferocity and determination from the Ruvelkans than we saw in others. But then, about two days ago, it was like a dam broke. One day the broad assessment we received was that there was fierce fighting across the whole front, and the next we were told that formerly stubborn Syaran positions were now speed bumps for Ruvelkan and Acrean tanks. And that's why we're now racing to try and catch up, finally having been given approval now that the area was relatively safe. It's not as though the Syarans have ever deliberately endangered us before; like every other belligerent, they respect the power of the big blue and white 'PRESS' markings emblazoned across nearly every surface of our persons and van that we could fit them on.

As I'm jolted by one of our wheels going over a pothole, I catch glimpse of a sign that reads 'Tihany'. It's a pretty name for what must have once been a quaint, cozy little town. Like countless other villages across Ruvelka, this town has clearly been scarred by its repurposing as a defensive position. As we drive west, the walls of the buildings facing us are practically nonexistent, the windows and such that were presumably used by the Syaran defenders blasted apart by tank or recoiless rifle fire. From the movement and activity we see already, it appears that the town is now serving a renewed purpose as a position for allied command to set up shop, though for what level of command we can't tell yet. The layout of the town is fairly straight. It's situated at a fork in the main road, the large intersection forming the town's center. To the left of it is a wide open space that must have once housed a market, judging from the smashed and rotting wood of stalls. The centerpiece is a large temple which sits in between the two divergent paths from the intersection, its steeple missing a large chunk that's been blasted away.

Both Ruvelkan and Acrean vehicles are everywhere along the main road, and we can see an aid station set up to treat the wounded in the former market. The patients that I can see as I exit the van are not just wounded Ruvelkan and Acrean soldiers but also who we can only assume to be Syarans. Recognising the multilingual press markings on the van, we're approached by a pair of officers- one Ruvelkan, and one Acrean. I can't discern their ranks, but Alain goes to speak with them, which gives me something of a free ticket to explore. It's unlikely that I'll be stopped. For what it's worth, nobody on either side seems to really care about war correspondents poking around at our own peril. Pressing on, my earlier assessment of the town quickly starts to feel a little understated. I can't imagine that any of the original inhabitants are around. In addition to the battle-scarred eastern facade that greeted us as we drove up, the lingering marks of the past two years cover practically every square metre that I can see. Walls pockmarked with bullet impacts, roofs caved in from mortars, and streets churned up by tracked vehicles. One section of the town square catches my eye- adjacent to the aid station are a number of enemy troops. Prisoners. That in and of itself is not abnormal. No, what catches my eye is that some of them are definitely not Syaran.

The Aethurian prisoners are separated from their Syaran comrades, though perhaps segregated is the better word. There are wounded among the Aethurians too but they've received only the minimum amount of medical care, in stark contrast to the Syarans. I can see one or two of the Ruvelkan medics casting looks at the Aethurian wounded every few moments or so. The Acrean medics don't even spare a glance, their apathy towards their fellow Eracurans so palpable that it's created a barrier that stops the Ruvelkans from even attempting to render further aid to any prisoners but the Syarans. Whilst there was no kinship from the Acrean medics towards the Syarans either, there was a clear respect that afforded the Syaran wounded more intensive and careful aid.

Truth be told, it makes me feel a sting of disappointment in my countrymen, even if the sight of the Aethurians makes me feel uneasy. I'd like to think that we would afford them more than the bare minimum of concern, but maybe that's just naive of me. I've heard a hundred different monikers for them over my lifetime, everything from savages to heretics (which feels awfully tame in comparison). While I shy away from any of the provocative labels, I can certainly understand why they have a reputation for being brutish. Even in defeat, they have a stubborn and defiant look about them. In contrast, the Syarans look... almost relieved. My guess is that whatever unpleasant feelings they may have about their situation is overridden by an overwhelming sense of finality. Nobody wants to say it, but the end of the war is in sight. For these men, their war is essentially over, and they've survived to acknowledge that.

Somewhere deep down in the Aethurians I suspect that there's also a sense of betrayal. They're as religious as we are, and while we consider their views a perversion we still pray to the same gods. But on this day it wasn't the Aethurians and their allies the gods favoured. That being said, if it really was a matter of who prayed harder, I imagine this war would have been over long ago.

The thought of religion is an apt point to move on from, as my exploration of the town takes me past the temple. It strikes me that I really know very little about Ruvelkan religious practices, aside from them being very little like our own. I'm careful to avoid the rubble in the street, and then the uneven cobblestones as I stray from the road and in between the houses. There's plenty of old cobble back home, but the addition of damage from mortar and projectile impacts is as bad for safety as it is for aesthetics. My nose wrinkles when I near the western edge of town. The air burns, no doubt courtesy of the thick plumes of black smoke ahead. One more layer of houses and I'm at the western edge of Tihany. Here, the village opens up back to the fields sporadically interspersed with trees and high vegetation. Here, the real aftermath of whatever transpired in Tihany is laid bare for me. A few vehicle wrecks sit still burning, with Acrean and Ruvelkan vehicles sitting in the yards of the houses, facing westwards with their crews dismounted. All of the Ruvelkan vehicles that I see are relatively light, mostly APCs. The Acreans appear to be providing the heavy stuff in this part of the front.

"Can we help you with something?" a voice calls out to me in quick, rapid Nordic. I look to my left to see a relatively young Acrean officer looking towards me. His accent is distinctly northern, further north than my hometown. He is leaning against a Pantera tank. It's heavily covered in camouflage netting and vegetation, though part of its cannon barrel sticks out with numerous black rings painted around the center. They're kill markings, a tradition for Acrean armour crews since the Great War.

I tell him that I was just looking around, and wanted to ask a few questions to anyone who was willing to share their thoughts and feelings on the past few days' events. He gives a shrug, and gestures towards the field in front of us at the blackened Syaran APCs and a pair of still-burning Aethurian Mammut tanks. The Syarans and Azzies couldn't stick around for an interview, he explains with a dry smile, but they'd be happy to answer a few questions.
Last edited by Acrea on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gylias
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Good Practices Code

Postby Gylias » Sun May 22, 2022 2:23 am

PREAMBLE

The world of art is inextricably linked to the world of humanity.

Art is one of the greatest gifts of humanity, and can become the most powerful forces for the improvement of humanity.

In order to reach this status, the media we use for art must accept its responsibilities and remain guided by the principle of public interest.

The authors represented by the National Cooperative Confederation and General Council of Workers' Unions and Associations, included but not limited to the unions of artists, writers, musicians, actors, stagehands, theatre employees, directors, and producers, present the following code of principles, in the hopes of serving the public interest and maintaining a spirit of trust and benefit towards audiences.

GUIDING PRINCIPLES

1. Nobody should finish enjoying a work of art feeling more miserable than they did before.
  2. Art should provide entertainment, intellectual stimulation, information, education, and enlarged horizons for its audience.
  3. The promotion of high artistic standards must respect diversity of taste and thought, and prejudice none.

AUTHORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO:

1. Provide satisfactory endings to their stories.
  2. Never confuse law and justice.
  3. Temper value judgements with appropriate humility.
  4. Respect pleasure and treat it with utmost seriousness.
  5. Treat sexuality and romance with an emphasis on joy and respect above all.
  6. Remember that vulgarity is a tool, and consider when it is the appropriate tool.
  7. Observe the distinction between religious practice and religious institution.
  8. Consider how language has been used and abused as a mechanism of repression.
  9. Consider whether hierarchy or authority is really necessary.
  10. Remember the audience.
  11. Embrace change and experimentation, in service of the story.

AUTHORS ARE ADVISED TO:

1. Consider whether their depictions of a mean world are contributing to or combatting the problem observed.
  2. Consider with utmost seriousness the allocation of sympathy regarding characters or plot.
  3. Observe the artistic value of restraint regarding sensuality and suggestiveness.
  4. Recall the ancient traditions of beauty in nudity.
  5. Consider how much depiction of violence or horror is really necessary.
  6. Distinguish between depicting cruelty and promoting it.
  7. Discern the line between serving the work and self-indulgence.
  8. Consider what message they wish to communicate and what values they are advancing.
  9. Exercise their own judgement for what constitutes proper or improper subjects or presentation.

DISTRIBUTORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO:

1. Distinguish audiences and consider methods to ensure a given work will reach the appropriate audience.
  2. Develop classification systems that will allow the audience to make informed decisions.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates