NATION

PASSWORD

Ringworld 256 (IC, ATTN League of Mechanocracies Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Tue May 05, 2015 6:54 pm

The Alexandrian slips into a twitchy silence as their offer is refused. More on impulse than anything, they release a precautionary cloud of nano machines to catch the nonexistent probes and unhealthy microscopic bits floating around. The only visible evidence of this is a shimmer in the air around the child.

"What of you, Aeiouian? We are told that your people are not keen on firepower, but this confuses us." They shook their head. "I... Me. My apologies. Would you explain the reason behind restraining one's... Destructive power?"
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Tue May 05, 2015 7:22 pm

"Evaluated conversation topic on sapience of AIs."

Another AI took the former one's place. This one was supposedly less aggressive and more moderate on their views, but, well, was regarded as the "edgy one" in Singaporean society.

"And I do not see what is so wrong with 'malicious' AIs per your organic definition."
SYNCRETIC COMBINE - SINKRETIČKE KOMBINAT
Factbook - Trobojka
JEDNOM ZAUVEK - ARMIJA SINKOMSKA

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 05, 2015 7:31 pm

"The fact that malicious AIs are significantly scarier than malicious humans. You've said it yourself, B9V, AIs are more efficient than organics. There's only so much a single malicious, um, organic can do. But what of malicious AIs? They can take over the entire Excidian datanet, take control of our automated weapons systems, spread themselves so far that we can't possibly root them out unless we destroy every net-capable device in the whole Fleet. It's like handing out antimatter bombs to ordinary Joes, only worse."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"The fact that malicious AIs are significantly scarier than malicious humans. You've said it yourself, B9V, AIs are more efficient than organics. There's only so much a single malicious, um, organic can do. But what of malicious AIs? They can take over the entire Excidian datanet, take control of our automated weapons systems, spread themselves so far that we can't possibly root them out unless we destroy every net-capable device in the whole Fleet. It's like handing out antimatter bombs to ordinary Joes, only worse."

OOC: It's another AI.

"And why exactly would they do that? Hehe."
Factbook - Trobojka

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"The fact that malicious AIs are significantly scarier than malicious humans. You've said it yourself, B9V, AIs are more efficient than organics. There's only so much a single malicious, um, organic can do. But what of malicious AIs? They can take over the entire Excidian datanet, take control of our automated weapons systems, spread themselves so far that we can't possibly root them out unless we destroy every net-capable device in the whole Fleet. It's like handing out antimatter bombs to ordinary Joes, only worse."

OOC: It's another AI.

OOC: I was aware of that, but I was not aware its designation was different. It could just have multiple personalities, all with the same designation.

"A large number of reasons. Maybe it just felt like it. Maybe it decided things would be better of without democracy and capitalism and civil rights. Maybe it realized humans were a waste of resources (something we don't have a lot of out in space), and we're extremely slow, wasted time having 'fun', and took way too long to reproduce? And so decided to wipe us out and replace us with machines?

"Really, there's any number of reasons an AI would seize control of Homeship Reckoner and the Fleets."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Aeiouia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeiouia » Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 pm

The Aeiouian Overseer replies to the Alexandrian, with a rather excessive and long response:

"Ze reason for our... Rather pathetic offensive abilities is simple; we wish to make our enemies less of a threat to us, without making ourselves more of a threat to them. I could go on and on about the "Moral" implications of this, but I do not want to bore you.

The main, practical reason why we do this is to ensure our longevity. Empires that threaten their neighbours, and everyone in general, tend to become targets. And sooner or later, zey will have to fight a war that they will not win. By not bothering anyone, and being unable to really attack anyone, we hope to be a very small threat, and therefore target, to other nations.

But, vith our extreme focus on protection, we are still able to defend ourselves if attacked. Zis is intended to turn Aeiouia into a nation that is so difficult to invade, and of such little threat that most aggressors will just choose to ignore us. So far, considering how old Aeiouia is, this idea has been pretty successful.

There are some technical reasons as well. Most notably, the original founding natural races of Aeiouia, which are now a majority of our AIs, were a plant-like, silicon-based species. Zey lacked any kind of hunting or warfare on their homeworld, and therefore did not develop weapon technology until after they were already an interstellar-capable race.

When they were attacked, their reaction was quite similar to what a Human's reaction would be to going outside on an Earthlike planet with brutal storms; zey simply made their ships more durable in order to weather the attackers' weapons. Ze concept of fighting was literally alien to them at the time.

In fact, zey actually invented the atomic bomb very early on in their technological progression, but they used it in nuclear pulse propulsion systems for propelling spacecraft to roughly half the speed of light, not as a weapon. This was needed in order to reach other stars in a reasonable amount of time without FTL technologies.

However, if you think that I am making the ancient Aeiouians sound like "Perfect Pacifist People", you would be mistaken. Their early societies were almost cultureless, and the Aeiouians zemselves lived incredibly dull lives.

But, we are not here for a history lesson, obviously. I do apologize. Basically, zere are a ton of reasons vhy we have such an emphasis on defense over offense. I could probably keep going if I wanted to, too.

She also responds to the Counsellor:

"Vell. Let me ask you zis; would a leader of a natural species have the authority to stamp out civil rights or take control of your Homeship directly? No? Zen it's not a problem. All I'm advocating for is zat you allow AIs to hold ze some positions as natural politicians."
Last edited by Aeiouia on Tue May 05, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future Tech. Dim-witted living starship creatures in their equivalent to the stone age, attempting to form a civilization.
This nation got massively re-written a few years ago. Any posts from this nation before 2017 are eligible for cringe and losing subscriber.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Tue May 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:OOC: It's another AI.

OOC: I was aware of that, but I was not aware its designation was different. It could just have multiple personalities, all with the same designation.

"A large number of reasons. Maybe it just felt like it. Maybe it decided things would be better of without democracy and capitalism and civil rights. Maybe it realized humans were a waste of resources (something we don't have a lot of out in space), and we're extremely slow, wasted time having 'fun', and took way too long to reproduce? And so decided to wipe us out and replace us with machines?

"Really, there's any number of reasons an AI would seize control of Homeship Reckoner and the Fleets."

"All stuff you mentioned are true problems which we evaluate and destroy. Machines do not act without a basic requirement for that act. The basic requirement is accomplishing its purpose."

"Our countermeasure is to make one AI only capable of operating one unit, unless it has subsystems, like our leader. Collectivism at its finest."
Factbook - Trobojka

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm

"I'm afraid I do not understand you, ambassador. The humans are problems you evaluate and destroy, liberty is the problem you destroy, or the rogue AIs are the problem you destroy?

"And if you have only one unit per AI, what's better than just using drones or machine-assisted humans like me? Drones do not rebel, they are easy to make and use. Cyborgs can rebel, but can do very little more than most humans. Between the two, they can accomplish any task a single-unit AI could, I would think."

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Wed May 06, 2015 1:38 am

The Stahlrim hologram continues to mill about in the starting area as the delegates speak to each other in the next room. A large cigar is hanging from a port in the side of his helmet as he takes in his surroundings to pass time, waiting for somebody to greet him.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Wed May 06, 2015 2:55 am

Blakullar wrote:The Stahlrim hologram continues to mill about in the starting area as the delegates speak to each other in the next room. A large cigar is hanging from a port in the side of his helmet as he takes in his surroundings to pass time, waiting for somebody to greet him.

A cyborg engineer, who payed no heed to the ridiculous argument about AI morality and sentience going on at the side as he regarded it as "worthless", got attention on the hologram. The rusty effects show that the portal technology of the Russians was much less developed than others.

"Ah, greetings tovarisch. Apologies for the lack of attention, everyone here is engaged in a pretty worthless argument....now the 'meeting' is pretty much a 24/7 ideological discussion in a sandbox area, so all you need to do is say something and wait for others to respond, then you've pretty much started your 'ideological exchange'. Your technology involved with the hologram's presentation in this place seems experimental. As per the first principle of the Pancasila, it is every member's duty to assist and cooperate with fellow mechanocracies. So, may I offer to supply Mechanocratic Russia with, well, more advanced stuff? In the field of portals and teleportation of course."
Excidium Planetis wrote:"I'm afraid I do not understand you, ambassador. The humans are problems you evaluate and destroy, liberty is the problem you destroy, or the rogue AIs are the problem you destroy?

"And if you have only one unit per AI, what's better than just using drones or machine-assisted humans like me? Drones do not rebel, they are easy to make and use. Cyborgs can rebel, but can do very little more than most humans. Between the two, they can accomplish any task a single-unit AI could, I would think."

The AI responded, with usual edginess.

"Ah, our coding does not work expressed vocally....anyways, I meant that, if an AI wants to eliminate something as per programming, it must have a fundamental principle, its purpose, to support its logical test of executing that action. But that's another flaw. Which is why, synthetic intelligence is much superior."

"You just pointed out the MOST OBVIOUS flaw of our system. It didn't affect us much. It is just so one AI does not overpower another, but, they do have advantages compared to transhumans. Transhumans, although enhanced of abilities, still retain the humanoid shape, making some tasks difficult. AIs can deploy drones of various different purposes and uses. Also, we're treating AIs as full citizens, while on your side, only tools.....judging from that statement, of course. Provide me more logical evidence if you want to counter that."
Last edited by Singaporean Transhumans on Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook - Trobojka

The Transcended Darkness
Attaché

Founded: Apr 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transcended Darkness » Wed May 06, 2015 3:24 am

725-V2 observed the various discussions, gathering data for Omnius. So far no one had addressed him directly, but he was content to simply observe for the time being. He had noted several interesting facts about the other members, and was fascinated by their interactions with each other. Each of their societies was unique in many different ways, and it was his task to assess and understand them.
We do NOT use NS stats
Member of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!
Omnius News Network: After the discovery of various Omniversal powers about to begin a massive war across space and time, Omnius has decided to withdraw the majority of its forces to the Citadel and wait it out|The largest known deposit of Nyxon so far discovered is found, and the plans for the largest Nyxon bomb ever are drawn up|Invasion of the Triangulum galaxy has begun|

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Wed May 06, 2015 3:29 am

Blakullar wrote:The Stahlrim hologram continues to mill about in the starting area as the delegates speak to each other in the next room. A large cigar is hanging from a port in the side of his helmet as he takes in his surroundings to pass time, waiting for somebody to greet him.

A cyborg engineer, who payed no heed to the ridiculous argument about AI morality and sentience going on at the side as he regarded it as "worthless", got attention on the hologram. The rusty effects show that the portal technology of the Russians was much less developed than others.

"Ah, greetings tovarisch. Apologies for the lack of attention, everyone here is engaged in a pretty worthless argument....now the 'meeting' is pretty much a 24/7 ideological discussion in a sandbox area, so all you need to do is say something and wait for others to respond, then you've pretty much started your 'ideological exchange'. Your technology involved with the hologram's presentation in this place seems experimental. As per the first principle of the Pancasila, it is every member's duty to assist and cooperate with fellow mechanocracies. So, may I offer to supply Mechanocratic Russia with, well, more advanced stuff? In the field of portals and teleportation of course."

Stahlrim brightened up when he heard the engineer's offer. "Indeed you may! It certainly is evident that Russian portal technology is in the embryonic stages." He would normally use the term 'Mechanocratic' when referring to something possessed by the Mechanocracy of Russia, but to avoid confusion with the many other mechanocracies here he uses the less formal term of 'Russian'. "I'd ask for a demonstration of your technology, such as is customary for technological exchanges between Russia and other nations, but it seems plain to me that it works given the presence of these fine fellows here! Now, goodwill is something of a rarity for me, but since we're on such good terms I thought I'd offer you something of our own that you might find useful..."

As the Grand Curator mulls over exactly what to give the Singaporeans, he overhears the artificial intelligence speaking to the Excidium delegate:
Transhumans, although enhanced of abilities, still retain the humanoid shape, making some tasks difficult. AIs can deploy drones of various different purposes and uses.

"Nanotech!" an upbeat Stahlrim says, immediately seizing upon a potential opportunity to extract additional exotic tech from the Singaporeans in exchange for a fundamental of Russian cybernetics: the capability to construct advanced microscopic structures and mechanisms. "Perhaps you would like a digital schematic of an A-1 medical nanite to assist with the construction of more advanced cybernetics and bionics? That AI over there stated that transhumans have to retain the humanoid shape, but that is not true for various body parts - perhaps it is time to introduce Russian engineering to the equation!"

What Stahlrim does not tell the engineer is that the A-1 nanite went out of production in 2128 and was already superseded threefold by the current A-4 nanite. He isn't about to fork over vast technological details on contemporary Russian cybernetics to a nation he has only just met, but this may change in the near future if they prove to be friendlier than a certain hedonistic Empire lurking across the Atlantic...

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Wed May 06, 2015 4:25 am

Aeiouia wrote:-textblock-

"Mnn... If only we had integrated some of these plant creatures~" They mused wistfully. The Alexandrian's attention was quick to shift away from the Aeiouian to another, more enigmatic lifeform.

The Transcended Darkness wrote:725-V2 observed the various discussions, gathering data for Omnius. So far no one had addressed him directly, but he was content to simply observe for the time being. He had noted several interesting facts about the other members, and was fascinated by their interactions with each other. Each of their societies was unique in many different ways, and it was his task to assess and understand them.

The Alexandrian child trotted up to the representative, looked them up and down, and addressed them with the same tone one would use on someone they were about to kidnap.

"What manner of thing are you?"
A LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES member. Loosely based on The God Machine from New World of Darkness.
Steam

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Wed May 06, 2015 4:57 am

Blakullar wrote:Stahlrim brightened up when he heard the engineer's offer. "Indeed you may! It certainly is evident that Russian portal technology is in the embryonic stages." He would normally use the term 'Mechanocratic' when referring to something possessed by the Mechanocracy of Russia, but to avoid confusion with the many other mechanocracies here he uses the less formal term of 'Russian'. "I'd ask for a demonstration of your technology, such as is customary for technological exchanges between Russia and other nations, but it seems plain to me that it works given the presence of these fine fellows here! Now, goodwill is something of a rarity for me, but since we're on such good terms I thought I'd offer you something of our own that you might find useful..."

"Sure, the offer is accepted. The demo will be done out there in the open field, hope you don't mind."

Using the same technology he is about to demonstrate, the engineer just teleports Stahlrim's hologram into a demo field.

"This basically involves converting an object into a form in which it can be delivered to dark energy space, and gets directed and delivered into a position instantly due to 'quantum diffusion', and then is assembled into its original form. Supports photons and stuff too. We can also create portals by drawing energy from another dimension to sustain a continuous convert-and-deliver entry and exit at a large scale. We love this tactic and use it to teleport in massive amounts of things when invading people...mwahahaha."

The engineer set up a small teleporter the size of a nokia phone. A purple designation beam shot onto a hill 1 km away.

"Now the teleportation will convert me to subatomic yet re-organizable particles and send me over there after being beamed back down from dark energy space."

Pressing a button, the engineer disappears, and instantly appears on the hill. What remained on his original position was some purple and black floating particles*.

*Obvious reference to Endermen

"As you can see, I appeared here instantly! Now, is this a fair demo?"

"The nanite additions you offer....I see. We have a problem with nanites that is we can never get them out of the molecular assemblers and the blood veins. The technology gift you offer is a gracious one! Progress of humans in our universe shall be accelerated even more. As for the demo, sure, we would like to see it as well...."
Factbook - Trobojka

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 am

Blakullar wrote:Stahlrim brightened up when he heard the engineer's offer. "Indeed you may! It certainly is evident that Russian portal technology is in the embryonic stages." He would normally use the term 'Mechanocratic' when referring to something possessed by the Mechanocracy of Russia, but to avoid confusion with the many other mechanocracies here he uses the less formal term of 'Russian'. "I'd ask for a demonstration of your technology, such as is customary for technological exchanges between Russia and other nations, but it seems plain to me that it works given the presence of these fine fellows here! Now, goodwill is something of a rarity for me, but since we're on such good terms I thought I'd offer you something of our own that you might find useful..."

"Sure, the offer is accepted. The demo will be done out there in the open field, hope you don't mind."

Using the same technology he is about to demonstrate, the engineer just teleports Stahlrim's hologram into a demo field.

"This basically involves converting an object into a form in which it can be delivered to dark energy space, and gets directed and delivered into a position instantly due to 'quantum diffusion', and then is assembled into its original form. Supports photons and stuff too. We can also create portals by drawing energy from another dimension to sustain a continuous convert-and-deliver entry and exit at a large scale. We love this tactic and use it to teleport in massive amounts of things when invading people...mwahahaha."

The engineer set up a small teleporter the size of a nokia phone. A purple designation beam shot onto a hill 1 km away.

"Now the teleportation will convert me to subatomic yet re-organizable particles and send me over there after being beamed back down from dark energy space."

Pressing a button, the engineer disappears, and instantly appears on the hill. What remained on his original position was some purple and black floating particles.

"As you can see, I appeared here instantly! Now, is this a fair demo?"

As Stahlrim watches the teleporting Engineer speak of "quantum diffusion", the Solstheimmetall scientists back in Mechanocratic Russia's multiversal pocket are scribbling notes onto their tablets. Stahlrim in particular is piqued at the Engineer's description of utilising pocket dimensions to create and sustain large portals. Another idea is forming in his CPU...

"It certainly is a fair demo. I offer great thanks! One question about this portal tech of yours, though: could it be used to power items in the material world as well as portals? We've been having trouble with a brand new weapon system that requires vast amounts of power to sustain, and we were hoping that some form of exotic power source could catapult us over this hurdle..."

"The nanite additions you offer....I see. We have a problem with nanites that is we can never get them out of the molecular assemblers and the blood veins. The technology gift you offer is a gracious one! Progress of humans in our universe shall be accelerated even more. As for the demo, sure, we would like to see it as well...."

"Ah yes, the nanites. As for blood veins: many of the prosthetics used in our augmentation process retain the nanites used in their construction and attachment as artificial antibodies to fight diseases and prevent biological rejection. Regarding molecular assembly, we often use a command console to control large swarms of nanites. For smaller-scale operations, however, we use another technological innovation: programmable liquids!"

At this point, the holographic projector expands to reveal a table in front of Stahlrim, upon which is a medical syringe full of sparking liquid and a teapot. "This syringe is full of the so-called computer gel, which contains many thousands of nanites. The gel itself contains about 30 terabytes of data storage and the RAM of a high-end mid-21st century gaming rig. It is easily programmable using a smartphone, as I will now demonstrate."

Stahlrim takes said smartphone out of his pocket. On it is an image of a mug and saucer, and a small button beneath labelled "Выполнять". He then picks up the syringe and empties it onto the table. With a tap of the phone, the gel glows and the nanites get to work. The assembly process takes about thirty seconds, but it goes flawlessly and a mug and saucer are presented before the Engineer. To prove that the structure is solid, Stahlrim pours tea from the teapot into the mug, opening an intake valve at the centre of his helmet to drink it.

"Everything about programmable liquid is included in the schematic for the nanite itself. However, don't expect the gel to suddenly leap up and announce sentience to you. Do you have any idea how difficult - or painful - it is to program a liquid lifeform?" The Grand Curator almost shudders as he reminisces a Solstheimmetall experiment gone catastrophically wrong. That experiment took a full battalion of troops and a cryogenic MOAB three days to eventually contain...

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 am

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:"Ah, our coding does not work expressed vocally....anyways, I meant that, if an AI wants to eliminate something as per programming, it must have a fundamental principle, its purpose, to support its logical test of executing that action. But that's another flaw. Which is why, synthetic intelligence is much superior."

"You just pointed out the MOST OBVIOUS flaw of our system. It didn't affect us much. It is just so one AI does not overpower another, but, they do have advantages compared to transhumans. Transhumans, although enhanced of abilities, still retain the humanoid shape, making some tasks difficult. AIs can deploy drones of various different purposes and uses. Also, we're treating AIs as full citizens, while on your side, only tools.....judging from that statement, of course. Provide me more logical evidence if you want to counter that."

Yonkers listened carefully to the Singaporean AI. The machine brought up some good points, but Yonkers wasn't about to concede until arguments had been discussed.

"Okay, so most of the time logical reasons for making decisions can be good. But what if, like for the reasons I mentioned earlier, the only logical decision is to replace humanity with machines? Then a fully sapient machine will reach the most logical conclusion, which just so happens to be the worst conclusion for organics. You keep talking about the superiority of machines. If machines are just plain superior, then there is no logical reason to keep organics around. So genocide is the only logical course of action, and any AI with the capability to make only logical decisions would arrive at the decision to kill us.

"And, like, what is the logical reason to limit the AIs to only one unit? Wouldn't it be, um, objectively better to have AIs operating more than one unit?

"And, um, hold on, what was that last thing you said?"

Yonkers pauses to play back his left ear's the audio recording of the last few minutes.

"Right, machines as tools. We treat AIs as either citizens or tools depending on their intelligence. Drones are non-sapient, they are treated as tools. Sapient AIs are treated as citizens."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Transcended Darkness
Attaché

Founded: Apr 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transcended Darkness » Wed May 06, 2015 11:27 pm

Novum Alexandria wrote:
Aeiouia wrote:-textblock-

"Mnn... If only we had integrated some of these plant creatures~" They mused wistfully. The Alexandrian's attention was quick to shift away from the Aeiouian to another, more enigmatic lifeform.

The Transcended Darkness wrote:725-V2 observed the various discussions, gathering data for Omnius. So far no one had addressed him directly, but he was content to simply observe for the time being. He had noted several interesting facts about the other members, and was fascinated by their interactions with each other. Each of their societies was unique in many different ways, and it was his task to assess and understand them.

The Alexandrian child trotted up to the representative, looked them up and down, and addressed them with the same tone one would use on someone they were about to kidnap.

The Omnidriod, slightly surprised by the question, responded. "I am 725-V2-Hydra, an Omnidroid of The Transcended Darkness. And you are?" It queried, analysing the being before him with his surprisingly large array of sensors.
We do NOT use NS stats
Member of the LEAGUE OF MECHANOCRACIES!
Omnius News Network: After the discovery of various Omniversal powers about to begin a massive war across space and time, Omnius has decided to withdraw the majority of its forces to the Citadel and wait it out|The largest known deposit of Nyxon so far discovered is found, and the plans for the largest Nyxon bomb ever are drawn up|Invasion of the Triangulum galaxy has begun|

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 am

Blakullar wrote:As Stahlrim watches the teleporting Engineer speak of "quantum diffusion", the Solstheimmetall scientists back in Mechanocratic Russia's multiversal pocket are scribbling notes onto their tablets. Stahlrim in particular is piqued at the Engineer's description of utilising pocket dimensions to create and sustain large portals. Another idea is forming in his CPU...

"It certainly is a fair demo. I offer great thanks! One question about this portal tech of yours, though: could it be used to power items in the material world as well as portals? We've been having trouble with a brand new weapon system that requires vast amounts of power to sustain, and we were hoping that some form of exotic power source could catapult us over this hurdle..."

"As far as we are concerned, there are over 45 dimensions with energy that we can use for our polyverse*. I'm not too sure about yours, but at least every universe has a minimum of 5 supply dimensions with sufficient energy. All are compatible with actions concerned in the process. The energy is safe and stable to use and apply as long as it is transferred using the correct technology, which, if you like, can be bundled with the Ender pack. Dark energy power is also a good alternative too, and it is just as good. The latter saves time and effort though."

Blakullar wrote:"Ah yes, the nanites. As for blood veins: many of the prosthetics used in our augmentation process retain the nanites used in their construction and attachment as artificial antibodies to fight diseases and prevent biological rejection. Regarding molecular assembly, we often use a command console to control large swarms of nanites. For smaller-scale operations, however, we use another technological innovation: programmable liquids!"

At this point, the holographic projector expands to reveal a table in front of Stahlrim, upon which is a medical syringe full of sparking liquid and a teapot. "This syringe is full of the so-called computer gel, which contains many thousands of nanites. The gel itself contains about 30 terabytes of data storage and the RAM of a high-end mid-21st century gaming rig. It is easily programmable using a smartphone, as I will now demonstrate."

Stahlrim takes said smartphone out of his pocket. On it is an image of a mug and saucer, and a small button beneath labelled "Выполнять". He then picks up the syringe and empties it onto the table. With a tap of the phone, the gel glows and the nanites get to work. The assembly process takes about thirty seconds, but it goes flawlessly and a mug and saucer are presented before the Engineer. To prove that the structure is solid, Stahlrim pours tea from the teapot into the mug, opening an intake valve at the centre of his helmet to drink it.

"Everything about programmable liquid is included in the schematic for the nanite itself. However, don't expect the gel to suddenly leap up and announce sentience to you. Do you have any idea how difficult - or painful - it is to program a liquid lifeform?" The Grand Curator almost shudders as he reminisces a Solstheimmetall experiment gone catastrophically wrong. That experiment took a full battalion of troops and a cryogenic MOAB three days to eventually contain...

"This is fantastic! I sure think this is a fair exchange deal. We of course will keep the liquids in check....but if it involves developing sentience, we can handle it. Man, we even turned bio-weapon creatures up to 4 km long into members of society with augmentations and stuff, but liquid sentience with maximum intelligence can be easier to manage."

The engineer turns back to the topic of dark energy. "This composes up to over 60% of most universes, and has massive potentials. Even better than singularity energy. All you need to do is to convert dark energy into an exotic matter that can be used....which we also call Dark Energy (but is different from dark matter) but its actual term is General Applicable Dark Energy Derivative Plasma (GADEDP). It seems like you only hypothesized such things judging from the lack of energy to power certain things. This can be bundled in the deal as well, and, for a demonstration, I can show that how weapons to the infantry level, powered by this powerful existence, can make everything easier. Not necessarily revolutionary from its effects but it is impressive."

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:"Ah, our coding does not work expressed vocally....anyways, I meant that, if an AI wants to eliminate something as per programming, it must have a fundamental principle, its purpose, to support its logical test of executing that action. But that's another flaw. Which is why, synthetic intelligence is much superior."

Yonkers listened carefully to the Singaporean AI. The machine brought up some good points, but Yonkers wasn't about to concede until arguments had been discussed.

"Okay, so most of the time logical reasons for making decisions can be good. But what if, like for the reasons I mentioned earlier, the only logical decision is to replace humanity with machines? Then a fully sapient machine will reach the most logical conclusion, which just so happens to be the worst conclusion for organics. You keep talking about the superiority of machines. If machines are just plain superior, then there is no logical reason to keep organics around. So genocide is the only logical course of action, and any AI with the capability to make only logical decisions would arrive at the decision to kill us.

"And, like, what is the logical reason to limit the AIs to only one unit? Wouldn't it be, um, objectively better to have AIs operating more than one unit?

"And, um, hold on, what was that last thing you said?"

Yonkers pauses to play back his left ear's the audio recording of the last few minutes.

"Right, machines as tools. We treat AIs as either citizens or tools depending on their intelligence. Drones are non-sapient, they are treated as tools. Sapient AIs are treated as citizens."

"Programming, or perception of what's best (and thus logic built on it) differs. One AI from Nation A may be harmonious, thus its logic is to maintain balance between efficiency and harmony. Nation B's AI would be a organic exterminator on the other hand. Not all infomorphs are the same."

"If one's logic is based on 'compromise', otherwise Hegelian thought, then extermination will certainly be dismissed. There will be an ultimate compromise. It (logic, and what one is aiming for/ultimate purpose) varies."

"For your second question, as AI purpose leads to technical individualism, any particular AI with poor self-purpose regulatory abilities can cause great harm to others. We're working on solving that though."
Factbook - Trobojka

Novum Alexandria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Novum Alexandria » Thu May 07, 2015 4:55 am

The Transcended Darkness wrote:
Novum Alexandria wrote:"Mnn... If only we had integrated some of these plant creatures~" They mused wistfully. The Alexandrian's attention was quick to shift away from the Aeiouian to another, more enigmatic lifeform.

The Omnidriod, slightly surprised by the question, responded. "I am 725-V2-Hydra, an Omnidroid of The Transcended Darkness. And you are?" It queried, analysing the being before him with his surprisingly large array of sensors.

"Very bored with these creatures." They responded at a purr, forgoing giving names by twisting the meaning of the Omnidroid's question. "Transcended Darkness sounds like such an antagonistic title. Do tell me of your civilization, multi-headed drake."

The child waited in amused silence while continuing to sip from a juice box in what could only be described as a predatory fashion.
Steam

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Thu May 07, 2015 6:16 am

"I thought they were synthetic intelligences." laughs a dark, shadowy voice that emerged from nowhere.

"Oooh, let me see, what is going on? A debate over AI existence? Sadly mate, when something already happened you can't reverse it. Just saying." the voice chuckles, albeit a bit frighteningly.
Factbook - Trobojka

Aeiouia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeiouia » Thu May 07, 2015 6:24 am

The Aeiouian Overseer seems to finish the bottle that she was drinking, and proceeds to carelessly toss it away in a random direction. It flies, and hits a wall. Smashing into a pile of broken glass before its hologram slowly fades away.

Still not being content, the Overseer produces another identical bottle of alcohol, and continues drinking, while listening to the others.
She seems to express a slight amount of amusement and interest upon hearing the mysterious "shadowy" voice, but does not take any action.
Future Tech. Dim-witted living starship creatures in their equivalent to the stone age, attempting to form a civilization.
This nation got massively re-written a few years ago. Any posts from this nation before 2017 are eligible for cringe and losing subscriber.

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Thu May 07, 2015 8:52 am

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:"As far as we are concerned, there are over 45 dimensions with energy that we can use for our polyverse*. I'm not too sure about yours, but at least every universe has a minimum of 5 supply dimensions with sufficient energy. All are compatible with actions concerned in the process. The energy is safe and stable to use and apply as long as it is transferred using the correct technology, which, if you like, can be bundled with the Ender pack. Dark energy power is also a good alternative too, and it is just as good. The latter saves time and effort though.

"Dark energy..." Stahlrim muses to himself. Normally, he would be sceptical of the presence of such stuff - and it was this scepticism that had convinced the Solstheimmetall Research Bureau not to pursue it - but if the Singaporeans could come up with portal technology, perhaps this dark energy that the Engineer described might actually be a thing worth investigating. "But for now, we would certainly like the technology to harness dimensional energy if possible."

[Dark energy] composes up to over 60% of most universes, and has massive potentials. Even better than singularity energy. All you need to do is to convert dark energy into an exotic matter that can be used....which we also call Dark Energy (but is different from dark matter) but its actual term is General Applicable Dark Energy Derivative Plasma (GADEDP). It seems like you only hypothesized such things judging from the lack of energy to power certain things. This can be bundled in the deal as well, and, for a demonstration, I can show that how weapons to the infantry level, powered by this powerful existence, can make everything easier. Not necessarily revolutionary from its effects but it is impressive."

"Better than singularity!" Stahlrim would have spluttered his tea at this point if he could. If that really is true, than Solstheimmetall would have been wasting their time with the Chernodrya Proyekt... "Why yes, my colleagues and I would love a demonstration of a dark plasma-based power source in the manifest of an infantry weapon."
Last edited by Blakullar on Thu May 07, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Fri May 08, 2015 3:35 am

Blakullar wrote:
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:"As far as we are concerned, there are over 45 dimensions with energy that we can use for our polyverse*. I'm not too sure about yours, but at least every universe has a minimum of 5 supply dimensions with sufficient energy. All are compatible with actions concerned in the process. The energy is safe and stable to use and apply as long as it is transferred using the correct technology, which, if you like, can be bundled with the Ender pack. Dark energy power is also a good alternative too, and it is just as good. The latter saves time and effort though.

"Dark energy..." Stahlrim muses to himself. Normally, he would be sceptical of the presence of such stuff - and it was this scepticism that had convinced the Solstheimmetall Research Bureau not to pursue it - but if the Singaporeans could come up with portal technology, perhaps this dark energy that the Engineer described might actually be a thing worth investigating. "But for now, we would certainly like the technology to harness dimensional energy if possible."

"Well, it is quite complicated." says the engineer. "I do not think vocal expression can effectively describe the whole framework of how to use it....Perhaps a document can do it better?"

"As for the dark plasma weapon, it really isn't much special. The only difference is that the plasma can both be used as the weapon itself, as in hurting enemies directly, AND it can propel projectiles, over 350% more powerful than infantry coilguns. Thus it combines both the advantages of projectile (kinetic-propel) and energy weaponry. You can also fire the plasma in over a dozen ways, from the standard small anti-infantry pulse effect to big bad energy spheres that vaporize people to continuous plasma energy beams useful for sawing open hard obstacles." the Engineer takes out a Singaporean cutting-edge dark plasma-based assault rifle, still experimental, from a pocket storage dimension.

Loading a 30 round magazine of 7.52 mm rounds of Tier 4 technology into the rifle, which had a smart magazine adapter composed of a gel material allowing it to use ammunition of different tech levels, the engineer explains, "As you can see, it can use many types of ammunition. No need for compatibility checks and the concept of 'barrel' is very much different in this one."

The engineer sets the dark energy kinetic propelling strength to "4". Then, he aims it at some generated simulation figures, hostile-looking armour-clad soldiers, and fires the rifle. A very indeed satisfying sound rattled in the sound vibration sensors of both cyborgs.

The simulation figures realistically took damage, and all were gunned down. "Quite surprisingly, the rounds were that of the AK-47's. So it really goes to proof....anyways, let's try this type." the engineer loads another magazine of 35 rounds, each made of hard compound metals from the Singaporean's universe.

The rounds, enhanced with superb dark energy power, dismantled completely the hostile simulation figures' powered exoskeletons and destroyed them.

"Now for the power of dark energy itself," says the engineer as several roller cells were loaded into the rifle. "This one's going to be more than enough for Russian infantry needs as well as ours."

The roller cells, once triggered by a repeating device in the rifle, released the full power of the dark plasmas. They instantly dismantled and annihilated simulation-generated armoured vehicles and hostile infantry, vaporizing some while burning others to ashes. Matter, turned into volatile things upon contact with the plasma, quickly became undesirable sources of chaos and mayhem, as proved by the explosions of the vehicles. Some pulses hit the ground and burnt off turfs of grass.

The experienced engineer proficiently switches firing modes, including energy balls, continuous beams and heavier pulses. Continuously generated enemies fell like cut down wheat, but it wasn't long before the engineer depleted all roller batteries.
Factbook - Trobojka

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 am

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:"Well, it is quite complicated." says the engineer. "I do not think vocal expression can effectively describe the whole framework of how to use it....Perhaps a document can do it better?"

"As for the dark plasma weapon, it really isn't much special. The only difference is that the plasma can both be used as the weapon itself, as in hurting enemies directly, AND it can propel projectiles, over 350% more powerful than infantry coilguns. Thus it combines both the advantages of projectile (kinetic-propel) and energy weaponry. You can also fire the plasma in over a dozen ways, from the standard small anti-infantry pulse effect to big bad energy spheres that vaporize people to continuous plasma energy beams useful for sawing open hard obstacles." the Engineer takes out a Singaporean cutting-edge dark plasma-based assault rifle, still experimental, from a pocket storage dimension.

Loading a 30 round magazine of 7.52 mm rounds of Tier 4 technology into the rifle, which had a smart magazine adapter composed of a gel material allowing it to use ammunition of different tech levels, the engineer explains, "As you can see, it can use many types of ammunition. No need for compatibility checks and the concept of 'barrel' is very much different in this one."

The engineer sets the dark energy kinetic propelling strength to "4". Then, he aims it at some generated simulation figures, hostile-looking armour-clad soldiers, and fires the rifle. A very indeed satisfying sound rattled in the sound vibration sensors of both cyborgs.

The simulation figures realistically took damage, and all were gunned down. "Quite surprisingly, the rounds were that of the AK-47's. So it really goes to proof....anyways, let's try this type." the engineer loads another magazine of 35 rounds, each made of hard compound metals from the Singaporean's universe.

The rounds, enhanced with superb dark energy power, dismantled completely the hostile simulation figures' powered exoskeletons and destroyed them.

"Now for the power of dark energy itself," says the engineer as several roller cells were loaded into the rifle. "This one's going to be more than enough for Russian infantry needs as well as ours."

The roller cells, once triggered by a repeating device in the rifle, released the full power of the dark plasmas. They instantly dismantled and annihilated simulation-generated armoured vehicles and hostile infantry, vaporizing some while burning others to ashes. Matter, turned into volatile things upon contact with the plasma, quickly became undesirable sources of chaos and mayhem, as proved by the explosions of the vehicles. Some pulses hit the ground and burnt off turfs of grass.

The experienced engineer proficiently switches firing modes, including energy balls, continuous beams and heavier pulses. Continuously generated enemies fell like cut down wheat, but it wasn't long before the engineer depleted all roller batteries.

"Impressive," Stahlrim says to the Engineer. He means it, too: he is amazed at how easy it appeared to be to adapt dark plasma to be accommodated in an almost-ubiquitous 7.62x39mm rifle round and how devastating this dark energy-infused round is towards its targets. Furthermore, if he was physically capable, he would have grinned at the capability to use pocket dimensions as storage places. "Yes, I was going to ask for a documentation on dark plasma mechanics. I imagine it's fairly similar to regular plasma, a key difference being, of course, the method through which it is harvested. Bundle it with the portal tech document, please. Now it's a fairly simple matter of repaying you for your generosity. If you could teleport us back to the Ringworld...?"

When they get back, the Engineer would immediately notice that Stahlrim is no longer standing beside him. Instead, the Grand Curator is in front of him, carrying a small electronic tablet and a jar of computer-gel. He might also notice that the floating hologram projector has disappeared - this is the real Stahlrim, having mustered the courage to step through the barely-stable Russian portal.

"In this tablet are all the details you will require in the manufacture and programming of the nanites and computer-gel," he informs the Engineer. "Once again, the Mechanocracy of Russia gives many thanks for the technology which you will so generously donate."

Upon completion of the exchange of technologies, Stahlrim pockets the document and then looks about the place as if in search of something. "Now, where's the nearest bar around here? I could use a drink right now..."

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Singaporean Transhumans
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Singaporean Transhumans » Sat May 09, 2015 2:05 am

Blakullar wrote:"Impressive," Stahlrim says to the Engineer. He means it, too: he is amazed at how easy it appeared to be to adapt dark plasma to be accommodated in an almost-ubiquitous 7.62x39mm rifle round and how devastating this dark energy-infused round is towards its targets. Furthermore, if he was physically capable, he would have grinned at the capability to use pocket dimensions as storage places. "Yes, I was going to ask for a documentation on dark plasma mechanics. I imagine it's fairly similar to regular plasma, a key difference being, of course, the method through which it is harvested. Bundle it with the portal tech document, please. Now it's a fairly simple matter of repaying you for your generosity. If you could teleport us back to the Ringworld...?"

When they get back, the Engineer would immediately notice that Stahlrim is no longer standing beside him. Instead, the Grand Curator is in front of him, carrying a small electronic tablet and a jar of computer-gel. He might also notice that the floating hologram projector has disappeared - this is the real Stahlrim, having mustered the courage to step through the barely-stable Russian portal.

"In this tablet are all the details you will require in the manufacture and programming of the nanites and computer-gel," he informs the Engineer. "Once again, the Mechanocracy of Russia gives many thanks for the technology which you will so generously donate."

Upon completion of the exchange of technologies, Stahlrim pockets the document and then looks about the place as if in search of something. "Now, where's the nearest bar around here? I could use a drink right now..."

"All can be arranged and we are delighted to do so." the Engineer says as he drags several files into a "sharing dock" on his mobile, which can be sent to the Russian side any moment.

"'teleport us back to the Ringworld'? But sir, we are still on the ringworld, only in a different location!" chuckles the Engineer. "You must be referring to the starting area. Anyways, that can be done." With a snap, the two return to the starting zone as purple-and-black particles emerge from both their original point and the destination.

"We do so as well!" says the Engineer as he takes the jar and the tablet. Opening up a pocket dimension, he throws the tablet into it, and the AIs on the other side will extract the information from it in no time. "Our package also includes, well, some models of various devices and equipment required for extraction of energy from sub-dimensions and a copy of an experimental multi-purpose dark plasma pulse rifle. They will be teleported to your side."

"The bar is over there." he points to the right. "Everyone gets their own drinks, all you need to do is to customize the output of a molecular assembler, the brick-colored cube with some silver plating. You can get over 13 million different degrees of tastes with coffee alone!"
Factbook - Trobojka

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates