NATION

PASSWORD

Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Stars (Maintenance)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roania
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Miendalya, Myaari Expansion, Middle Sphere

Postby Roania » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm

The men and women of Miendalya's Special Agency for Local Authority, like most Myaari officials, wore silver masks that concealed their identity and robes that were arranged to hide their sex while on duty. The intention was that they be seen as nothing more than servants of Lhasaram, the ancient and dusky temple-city from which the Myesa Muou, the Masked King, ruled. And beyond Lhasaram, the will of the Dragon Throne, one supposed.

"There are forces at work in the galaxy, ladies and gentlemen." The security officer stood behind his desk and looked down at the picked team he had been chosen to brief, "Their existence should be no secret. They are spoken of in the Lore of the Masters. Even the Rudanese, hard-headed and simple as they are, managed to find a passage or two in their precious Precepts. Their temple calls them 'Gods', while the men of the academy teach that they were mortals like us, who have stepped beyond their original station. Or were thrust from them. I tell you now, their excuses for themselves do not matter. And nor do their names." On the wall behind him, the planet's surface was shown. "Do not be fooled. They are no Spirits or Gods, good or ill. They do not serve and they do hold none of the balance of flame, earth and water. They are abominations, and it is our duty as servants of the Masked King to protect this world against them, and the commands of He on the Throne say that we are to destroy them whenever and wherever the opportunity arises."

The map circled around and zoomed in on a series of canyons and deserts in the uninhabited quarters of the world. "When the Masked King chose this world, the surveyors noted that there were unusual rock-carvings here, in the Forbidden Desert, and hypothesized that some of them were of artificial origin. The first Rima of this planet ordered the area surrounding them closed to the public, as was his right as the Masked King's representative, and so even the perfidious explorers have been kept away by the Secretariat. But the carvings have been visited, regardless. On five separate occasions in the past three thousand five hundred years, the most recent being six-hundred-and-fifty years ago, the Crystal Network has picked up unusual energy signs from the location we will call Site Hanu, here in the middle of the zone." The display zoomed out and was overlapped by a red marker. "That provided the boys in green with enough information to work out the pattern for these events, which frankly I'm not paid enough to go through with you. What's important, Ayghar of the Masked King, is that a repeat performance is on it's way, and the order from Lhasaram itself is that this is the last of them. This could be big for our home, especially if what I hear about some big collector on Rudan paying for initial excavation rights is true. Now, if you will each of you open your mission box..."

Two dozen golden hands reached into a dozen golden boxes and withdrew a dozen weapons. At the touch of their wielders, two prongs sprang out from the barrel.

"You have been issued a crystalline reasonator. The ISU wants these back, so don't do anything stupid, am I crystal?" Nods of assent. "You'll note the warning switch. I don't know how many of you can read that chickenscratch the Rudanese call writing, but you get four shots each. Pick them well, and don't press that trigger a fifth time. You know the drill. Now, the plan is simple. Team Scar will sweep in from the north. Knife and Hammer will take positions around the cliffs marked here. Team Monkey will wait in reserve at the point marked in red. The moment the energy signs seem most likely, they've got some clueless thing down from Jeok to mess with the crystal and do something that should force an appearance. This has been done before, if not by us. At which point, all teams will open fire. We aren't expecting enough of them to need to take prisoners, but I've been told there will be an ISU strike team on call if we need to dispose of any remaining monsters. Any questions? No? Good. Let's get going. The Rima wants us on the ground ASAP."
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

Roania
Ambassador

Film by Walls. Wondering is Wonderful with Walls.

Postby Roania » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm

The Captain of the Guard raised his ancient spear of office to the skies and brought its butt down on the tiles with an ear-shattering crack. "All shall kneel!" Around him and his fellow guardsmen the assembled officials went to the ground. Two hands forward, head between them, forehead on the ground. The lower guardsmen merely knelt and rose, their hands never leaving their weapons. "On this day, the 32nd day of Harvest in the 18th year of the ShenQin Era, a trial shall be held! Under the eyes of the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Long Life for the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!"

"We serve the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!" came the full-throated response from every man and woman there.

"We live for the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!" The guard shouted.

"We die for the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!"''

"And so let it be said here and now that should we live for the Nine Thousand Years, the Realm shall stand for Ten Thousand, and the Dragon Throne shall always rule over it. All shall kneel before the Dragon Throne. The Lord approaches! Be ready!" The kneeling throngs seemed to part as though a knife had passed through them. The camera showed nothing except a dark shapeless shadow followed by yet more guards, a young boy whose face was blurred, and a confused looking young kitsuite dressed in the finest fabric. The shadow walked to the shaded gazebo at the end of the square and seemed to center on the elaborate chair that had been sitting there. Its accompanying children took crouching steps to the right of it. There must have been some sort of gesture, because the feed cut out and realigned to look towards the middle of the tiled space, from a point angled such that not even the shadow of the throne could be seen.

There must have been a gesture of some sort, because next down the aisle was walked an individual with his hands tied behind his back and a hood over his face. Two massive lumps of muscle followed. Neither ogre fit an entire hand on his shoulders. When he reached the assigned spot, one of them lashed out with a fist and pushed him to the ground hard.

The Emperor's words were amplified and distorted. "One serves here not as the Light's Sovereign, but as the Grand Marshal of the Banners. One serves not to proclaim the law, but to see it enforced. One declares that this tribunal is open. The procurator may approach and begin her case." Grand Secretary Ma rose from her kneeling position slowly and hesitantly. Angry murmurs broke out at the sight of her. "Silence! Ma Siela serves not as a soldier would, for that would be laughable. She serves here as one has commanded, for it is she whose policy is most harmed and she who must explain her case. To speak against her presence is to speak against the Throne itself, and one has no objection to adding more cases to my docket." The men in the crowd went absolutely quiet.

"Lord, I will show..." The beautiful, terrified woman fumbled with her cards and dropped them all to the ground at the next sentence.

"Speak with a civilized tongue when you speak, Grand Secretary, or there will be no trial."

"Forgive... that is... I... I mean, I am sorry, Lord." And she followed up on that with a low, deep bow. After looking for further instructions, she spoke again. "I intend to show to your satisfaction that Mar Serahyle, formerly a Claw of the Dragon, acted against the Imperial Military Code, that he acted without orders, and that he behaved with conduct unbecoming of an official given military authority." She turned and looked at the alleged criminal. "Do not be fooled, Lord, by this meek and modest act. He behaves such only out of fear. I have prepared witnesses, testimony and evidence, but first, I have one question. And, Lord, it is for you."

That distorted noise could only have been laughter. "Go on."

"Forgive me, but I must ask this in English. We are watched by many eyes, and I want them all to understand it." Siela took another deep breath. "Is your word law?"

"My word, Grand Secretary," the Emperor's English was clearer than some may have expected, but still accented. And still distorted, of course. "is to be obeyed without question. Without explanation. Without, Grand Secretary, understanding. Obedience is all that is required. But no. Unless I so command it to be, it is not law, to be ascribed on silver tablets and held above all the peoples of my Realm. As you know."

"Of... of course, Lord. But... forgive me, perhaps I picked the wrong word. Or... or the wrong language. Or..."

"I grow weary of your babbling, Ma Siela. My patience is no infinite resource."

"When the Imperial Consort was upon death's door, she was saved by westerners. Do you recall your promise to them? I have it recorded here, do you mind if I read it?" A little data-screen opened up in her hand. "You said, 'For my life, and the life of my son, and the life of his son, the fleets will not go to the southwest. This I swear.' Do you recall?" There was silence. "When you said that, was that law? A simple question, Lord. I have always believed that you spoke truly and honestly, that you intend to hold by your oath and raise your son to hold by it as well. I have served you, as have many in the Secretariat, in the firm belief that you had given yourself to peace with the worlds to the south-west. But I could be wrong. We all could be wrong."

A small voice said the beginning of a word, but quickly went silent.

"...My oath is no law of the Empire. It is my oath. Given freely, and enforced with bonds stronger than the greatest of metals could make. I shall keep it, and my son shall keep it, and if my grandson dares breaks it, then here and now I swear an ancestor's curse on him if he does. I have not now, and I will never, give the order to continue the expansion in that direction, though all my ancestors may demand otherwise and the Dragon Throne shakes beneath me. This discretion is trying my patience, Siela, and I warn you..."

"If you say now that you have never and will never give such an order, then whose order was it that sent Mar Serahyle to the world known as Alice in the first place?" The Secretary stood her ground, though her face was white.

"Oh, I see.".

"I am sure you do, Lord. My first intention is to prove that the hares of the so-called Kingdom of Palys did not swear their allegiance to you as a consequence of any covert operation, but as an act calculated and determined to precipitate the Dragon Throne into a war, one fought with accursed weapons." Siela turned her face towards the cameras and raised her hand dramatically. "And that many of those currently in attendance here were co-conspirators!" There was a predictable rising hubbub of protest at that. It didn't end even when the Guard Captain slammed his spear down on the back of one of the loudest protesters and flattened him to the ground.

"A brave claim, Ma Siela."
The words were spoken in much the same way the Emperor would have described an act of terrorism, his accent thickening with his tone. "A bold statement. Do you understand what you have said?"

"I do, Lord."

You do not. You accuse men of conspiracy against my will. Of treason, if you would, and I certainly fear not to speak the word. Men in my service. Men I trust far more than I trust an upstart foreigner who entered my Secretariat under recommendation from one whom I hold in little regard and less faith. Men I trust more than I would trust any mere woman beyond my consort. And this is what I think of your accusation."

The Grand Secretary reeled as if struck, and would have fallen had a guard not held her. "And yet." She would have spoken, her lips opened to speak, but she was prevented. Possibly by sense. "You are not a fool. You are no seeker of preferment. You hold no grudges. You serve me with less than your whole heart, but you serve my galaxy with all of it. And so, Grand Secretary Ma Siela, I bid you make your case. I will hear it. And should you prove it, then the law will be obeyed. You may begin."

"For my witness, I ask Prince Qiru Nesar to stand."

The man rose in his fine gray robes and bowed his head. "And I am standing, Grand Secretary Ma. Lord of Ten Thousand Years. Have we decided we shall all speak in English for the benefit of our viewers at home? Magnifico. A pleasure to see you again, Asen Cao, you look lovely today, Young Miss Greizon. Shame the Imperial Consort and your other children could not attend, Lord, give them my best, Daeri sends her love." Nesar took this time to walk carefully through the sea of bobbing heads and join Siela at the front. "And I prefer the old way of latinizing my name. Cheruv. Just for the written record. We do have a record, right? Splendid."

"Enough of your patter, Nesar."

"Ah, so it's going to be like that, is it?" The florid, round faced man tensed and was suddenly all sharp angles and keen eyes. "Do you accuse me of treason, Grand Secretary?" This was said in the tone of a cat watching a mouse come into range.

"Just a few questions. Before your retirement, you served in an undisclosed capacity at the Imperial Court. What would you describe that position as?"

"I was a gardener. Helping the Lord, and before him the Lady, with the maintenance of order in the greatest of all gardens."

"And in your capacity as a... gardener... you were approached by the man known as Mar Serahyle," Siela thumbed through a number of pages on her datapad. "According to the Palace records, you met with him for a period of nearly three hours shortly before his departure for the world previously known as Alice. Do you recall the substance of that meeting?"

Nesar tapped his finger to his jaw thoughtfully. "Ah, I do recall him asking for some assistance with some trifling matter, wishing a meeting with the Lord of Ten Thousand Years and a few of my personal friends. I advised him that a meeting before the Throne was quite beyond my capacity to arrange, but I did give him some names to contact. I'm afraid I don't recall any more."

"You don't remember the name "Alice'? Or the Republic?"

"I'm afraid not. You may of course put me to the question, Ma Siela, but it will not change anything. I do not recall." The gardener leaned against the empty air and folded his arms across his chest, looking directly at her. "I had many things to do at the time, including the preparation for my son's coming of age and my own retirement. I'm glad I remember as much as I do."

"The prisoner's own memory of the meeting is different. We took the liberty of copying it from his mind."

"Well, it would be. By all means, show me it. Perhaps it will spark my own."

"Unfortunately, shortly after I viewed it, the crystal storage failed and any further access to his mind was blocked by a surprisingly fast arriving imperial command." Siela's lips curled. "But you wouldn't know anything about that, either."

"I am afraid not. Now, enough of this. Will you accuse me of treason, or will you apologize for your insinuations? I have always been a loyal servant of the Dragon Throne." The voice remained friendly, though now with an undercurrent of knives in the dark.

"I ask these questions not as a preliminary to accusation, Prince Cheruv, but to call upon your loyalty. You knew something was wrong. And that I can prove. Servants of the Court and Officials of the Secretariat, I bring into evidence the name 'Sun Ailin'. Is this name familiar to you? Is this picture familiar to you?" An image was thrown on the floor before it hovered up to the Prince's eyes. The same picture, of a grim yet beautiful woman, appeared on the screen for a minute next to the feed.

Nesar didn't react at all, physically. "She was a friend of my daughter's who asked to accompany Serahyle as a means of gaining preferment in the Secretariat. We were devastated when we learned of her disappearance, of course. A young Marquise with a bright career ahead of her."

"She asked? Or you ordered?"

"Hm." Nesar looked to the throne for a moment. "My orders are irrelevant. I do not answer to you, girl. I do not now, and I did not then." The gardener leaned forward at an almost unnatural angle, as if to whisper. Yet his voice was loud and clear for the recording devices. "You have refused to accuse me of treason before this court. If your case against Mar Serahyle depends on my words, I suggest you pick your questions more carefully or convince the Lord to intervene. If not, then you are wasting my time, and what's worse, the time of the Lord of Ten Thousand Years."

"All I want to know is why Sun Ailin walked willingly into the hands of this madman and why she ultimately turned against him. She speaks of you frequently in her diary, and Internal Harmony tells me they're certain you know her current whereabouts. She started knowing everything he would know, and now she's gone. Is she dead? The Secretariat has a right to know. The Lord has a right to know. The Republic she declared war against and yet rescued has a right to know." Siela thrust her jaw out. "You may speak as cruelly to me as you wish, Prince Cheruv, but you know I am right."

"Sun Ailin is gone. She may return of her own accord at some point, but she is not the concern of any party but herself and the Light." Nesar shrugged eloquently, shaking off any responsibility Siela had tried to land on him. "To the best of my knowledge, Mar Serahyle intended a scientific investigation of a world with unusual properties that it seemed the honorable opposition had taken an interest in. I introduced the Marquise Sun to him as an assistant, she was taken on, and there my knowledge ends."
Last edited by Roania on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:27 pm

"I'm not impressed with this line of questioning, Ma Siela.

The Grand Secretary worked her jaw for a long moment, staring at the unhelpful aristocrat. Finally, she took a breath. "You knew Sun Ailin, yes?"

"I admit it. What of it? As I said, a friend of my daughter. Do you mind if I smoke, Lord?" Nesar produced a cigarillo and lit a flame from something within his cloak, then took a long pull.

"Would you say she was of sound mind? Intelligent? Competent?"

"Of course." A puff of smoke blew across the way, brushing past Siela's face.

"Loyal?"

"As are we all, I hope."

"Thank you, Prince Cheruv. No further questions." At this dismissal, the Prince bowed and withdrew to his previous position to resume kneeling. Siela turned towards the throne, then, and cupped her hands. "This is a common feeling regarding Miss Sun. She is spoken of highly by her peers, by her servants, and by her associates. Indeed, the accused initially sent back glowing reports on her. You, Lord, have already reviewed all this information. With your permission, I will play the relevant part of the recording discovered by General Asen Tonen. Crystal, play back cleared recording."

Mar Serahyle. All agents you have dealt with [REDACTED} of the locals, serve him, regardless [REDACTED]. {REDACTED] and he plans horrors I will not permit to go unwarned of. You must leave this planet. If you have found this message, then I assume things have already begun. Look to your supplies [REDACTED]

"While this is hardly a complete message, Lord, it is evocative. Especially in view of information we obtained from the Republic while preparing this trial."

Roania
Ambassador

Brief change of pace

Postby Roania » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:50 pm

"Why don't you ever write poetry, anymore, Cao?" Xeiri lay on her side, looking at her prince. "You used to be good at it. And don't tell me your father told you to stop, I know he didn't." They were alone in the inner courtyard now, sharing his room as they recuperated from a day's education and made idle plans for the holiday coming up.

"I can't think of any ideas to write about now." While Xeiri had found a pillow to lie on, Cao was a bundle of nervous energy. He paced back and forth and then darted to the bookcase. "I tried to write a poem the other day, while you were learning girl stuff with Miss Tzu. But... well..." He took the slim volume out and handed it to her nervously.

The kitsuite sniffed, smiled, and opened it. "You have such nice calligraphy. Let's see. 'Ten Thousand trees parade the river. Pink blossoms fill the air. The smell is of Plant, though the day is of Harvest.'" She giggled. "Wow."

"You hate it!" Cao buried his face in his hands.

"I do not! Light, Cao, be more confident. I like it. You should write more!" Xeiri grabbed a wooden practice sword and poked him with it until he looked at her. "Come on, there must be something around here that excites you."

"I... I don't want to." He looked away "Nothing interests me like that anymore. I'm not any good at it."

"Cao, there must be something that you want to write about. I want to see you doing things you enjoy. And you loved writing. So, be honest with me. Please?"

"I... well... I could..." Cao fumed for a little while, then slowly he turned and looked at her.

She rolled onto her back and looked up at him, giggling some more. "What?"

"Just, give me back my book and I'll try." He snatched it from her hands and grabbed the ink and brush from his school desk.

"What are you going to write about?"

"No peeking!" Xeiri couldn't help it. She giggled again. Him taking command like that had sent a strange shock up and down her spine. As he busied himself writing, the young kitsuite closed her eyes, taking a much-needed foxnap. "There. I'm done." As she opened her eyes, she saw him putting the ink to one side and closing the book.

"Read it to me!"

"N-no way!"

"Then I'll read it!" She pounced on him, trying to grab the book. For a moment or two, they wrestled, and after she managed to pin him she was all too aware of the difference in their sexes. And the feelings that were rushing through his eyes. "Okay?" She didn't move, though her voice dropped.

"I... I..." His voice on the other hand, cracked up, causing him to blush. "I really don't want you to read it. Please?" He held the book tight.

"Is it about me?" Xeiri teased.

"No!" His entire face went even redder.

Her breath caught. "Oh." He had written about her. She had known it was a possibility, but now that it was shown she felt... scared? Cautious? Curious? The heat in her cheeks doubled down and she moved off of him, crossing her arms across her suddenly too-tight camisole. "I... I'd like to know what you wrote about me, Cao, but only if you're comfortable with sharing it. I... I think I need to go up to my room now."

"W-wait. If... if I read it to you, will you stay?" Not knowing what else to do, the girl nodded. "Then... then I'll read it, okay? Just... all day we were busy with our tutors and I didn't get any time with my friend. Please. Don't go yet." Xeiri bit her lip and lay back on her pillow, looking up at him as he opened his book.

"My lady is like other ladies
her breast is full, like the ripest peach
her lips are sweet, like the forest's berries
her legs flow like the great rivers
her hips sway like one always dancing the 'Ah-Dwei'
She is like other ladies in this.
My lady is not like other ladies,
her eyes are sweet, yet cunning
her body is soft, yet strong
her laugh is the laugh of the great mountains
her hands are smooth, yet powerful
her voice is kind, yet one worthy of obedience.
My lady is not like other ladies,
she is more beautiful."

Xeiri's bite of her lip doubled to the point where she was sure she would draw blood. "Cao..." Rather than confront any of it, though, she sat up and glared. "And when did you ever see a girl performing the 'Ah-Dwei?'"

"I... I don't... I saw a video on the network a couple of nights ago, that's..." A pillow hit him in the face.

"If you ever go looking for that on the network again, Cao, then it will go hard on you." The kitsuite stood up and glowered. "And I'll find out!" And then she stepped forward, wrapping her arms around him and bringing herself in full contact with him. "Just ask me, next time." And then she kissed him.
Last edited by Roania on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:13 pm

"Am I not permitted to speak in my own defense?" The voice was smooth, stable and only slightly muffled. "This is a trial, is it not, Grand Secretary? I invoke my right to defend myself. Though I am unworthy of any honor, surely I retain that of the merest criminal in the lowest court." The huddled, bagged figure rose to his feet and snapped the chain holding his arms. "With your permission, of course, Lord." Serahyle pulled the bag up from over his head and smiled up at the camera for a moment. Then he swiftly and smoothly prostrated himself, his head hitting the floor nine times.

"Does the procurator have any objection to the offender known as Mar Serahyle speaking?" The Emperor sounded more annoyed than upset, and it was impossible to tell if it was from everyone slipping into a barbaric language or not. The camera focused on Siela, who looked baffled for a moment but then opened her mouth. Not that the Emperor cared. "Good. Mar Serahyle, speak honestly and of the law. I waive the command to speak in a civilized tongue, so we may all hear and understand."

"Your word is the law. And I have always scrupulously obeyed it, as is right and proper for one so low and accursed. I have but one request, Oh Lord of Ten Thousand Years, before we proceed." Serahyle's eyes roved around the room and onto the Grand Secretary. My hearing was not what it is while I was held. Could the honorable Grand Secretary please repeat the charges against this unworthy and loathsome individual? One evidently considered unworthy to see the Light one last time before his punishment? In detail, please."

Siela stepped back for just a moment. "Of... of course. We only held you as such because time was pressing and your... I mean..." She was flustered. That much was evident. With a quick bow to the hidden Emperor she snatched the paperwork from one of her assistants and coughed. "W-well, you are charged with conduct unbecoming an officer with military authority..."

"I object, Lord." Serahyle bowed low. "Only Your August Self or one of your Marshals can provide any subject with military authority, just as only Your August Self or your Secretariat can provide a subject with civil authority. I have never claimed either. I was operating in my personal capacity with a group of hired associates and staff provided on an ad hoc basis to my command as I launched an investigation. The Dragon Throne never provided me with such authority, and I do not recall requesting it. Does the evidence suggest any reason to believe this disgusting creature received such from any other competent authority?"

"W-well, no, but..."

There was a long, low and mirthless chuckle from the hidden throne. "Charge dismissed. Proceed, Ma Siela."

"Lord? You... you cannot..."

"Proceed, Ma Siela. And do so quickly."

"Well. So be it. We have charges against his acts in a personal capacity, too. And witnesses. Our advisers indicated that the military charges took precedence, but it appears... it appears... it appears that we were mistaken on some fundamentals." Siela choked up for a moment, and then grabbed another section of sheets. "As you disavow any military command, perhaps you would care to explain the presence of soldiers of the Dragon Throne accompanying your pawns into battle, Mar Serahyle?"

"Honorable Grand Secretary, after the unfortunate King Palys swore fealty to the Dragon Throne, I requested that the IAC second me some observers. I believe their battle reports reveal that their orders from their commanders, and not from me, were to engage only when attacked and to ensure that no further massacres took place. I congratulate them on their service to the Throne."

"Well, then. You confess you broke the oath of the Emperor!" Siela's lips turned upwards as she went for what she saw as the kill.

"Objection. I acted independently, brought no fleet with me, and my work was approved. I brought King Palys here to pledge his loyalty and oath to the Dragon Throne. Oath and loyalty freely given, might I add. It was accepted under condition that he put down the rebellion with materiel assistance alone. Lord, far be it from this pathetic oaf to request you serve as my witness. I merely ask if my words match your recollection of events. If they do not, then I am of course mistaken, and I will accede to your judgement."

Another mirthless chuckle. And silence for a long, long moment. "If I disobey my own Law, what worth is it? Let this be a lesson for you, number one son." A quiet little squeak. "Yes. Though I had my reservations, it is true that the former King Palys swore an oath and I accepted it, though I gave him no manpower. You were witness, Ma Siela."

"Well, and what proof do we have that Palys was there of his own free will? He could have been manipulated or threatened or..."

"Oh, absolutely. But there was no need." Serahyle laughed now. "And so what if he had been? Hundreds daily kneel to the Dragon Throne for reasons known only to them or to the Dragon's agents. Lord, though the beautiful and honorable Grand Secretary is without doubt my superior, I ask you this. Does the novelty she proposes appeal to you? A novelty that I, and King Palys' successor both, would agree has no bearing on this case?"

"It does not."

"Lord, you... that isn't right..."

"Dismissed, Grand Secretary. Try and focus on what the Law says in the Great Codex, and not on what it says in your your imagination, and perhaps this trial will continue better than it has been. Any further charges? You may confer."

Ma Siela's jaw worked silently for a little while. Finally, she turned around and went into a knot with those members of her cabinet who were serving as advisers. Occasional whispers floated up to the camera, but no words. Finally, she stepped forward and bowed again. "The two most serious charges remain. Evidence provided by the Republic's government reveals that prior to the arrival of Mar Serahyle and his team the planet was undergoing environmental repair. I submit into evidence these graphs of cadmium and other toxins in the water and soil, and these environmental calendars."

"Get them, girl." The young kitsuite female came hurrying down from the pagoda, took the papers, and ran back up. For a minute or two all was silence. Finally, "your response, Mar Serahyle?"

"I gladly submit myself to your punishment to protect one who is undeserving of it." Serahyle bowed.

"Who would that be?" Asked Siela.

"To my eternal shame and regret, my assistant Sun Ailin was uninformed of the amazing powers the locals displayed when it came to materiel science, and their near universal lack of grounding in physical science. A scouting force she was accompanying was able to get their paws on a localized world-shaping kit I had given here, and they were swiftly able to duplicate it. At least, its capacity to cause harm. She came to me in tears, the poor girl, and I ordered her to provide evidence blaming me in vague terms, so that her promising career would not be destroyed. As was my duty to one who served me, oh Lord." Serahyle pressed his knuckles to his eye to wipe away a tear. "I speak now only because she is beyond what she saw as the threat of the law. I hope in time she will return and find herself welcome among us once more."

"That's nonsense! How do you explain, then, your behaviour when the Imperial Prince took you into custody? I call..."

"I would wait, Grand Secretary. We both serve the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, and it would not be fitting and meet to call the General who arrived over the planet formerly known as Alice with an actual warfleet. Especially when the circumstances of his arrival are questionable. I never requested him, and he did not reveal what Marshal had sent him. No, we cannot call him until we are sure of the circumstances that led to his arrival. Else I fear we may dishonor the Imperial name."

"I asked him to..." Siela spoke without thinking, and one of her assistants clamped a palm over her mouth.

"Surely not! You know as well as I that you have no military authority. And only an idiot could look at you and see a man. A Prince of the Empire would know better than to obey the likes of you." Mar Serahyle turned back to the Emperor. "At a point in the chain of command, Lord, I fear there is a breach that permits unofficial orders to be sent from outside. No doubt these criminals chose the Prince so as to..."

There was silence from the throne. "My brother will not be called to testify." A few more moments of silence. "Prince Nesar has informed me that his son-in-law has no recollection of these events, wasn't the commanding officer responsible, and doesn't know what an Alice is. Are we to call my most trusted adviser a liar?"

"Obviously not. The Princes are both scrupulously honest and loyal to the Empire, and your word is law, is it not?" Mar Serahyle bowed low.

"Lord, this is..."

"Mistakes may have been made. My Marshals shall determine how and why, and then prevent them from happening again. This is my word."

"But surely..."

"Ma Siela, what is the first law? We need a refresher, obviously. You have forgotten all the rest."

"You are, lord." Siela curled up slightly, a defeated look coming into her eyes. "Well, there's one last charge. 30,000 counts of murder. Rounding down. From Grand Secretary Mar Serahyle's disruption of native power patterns and..."

"Objection. Do I even need to say it, Grand Secretary? A planet-bound species has no rights a subject of the Empire is bound to respect."

"This is the law." Came the response from the throne.

"Then the law, Damalin, is an ass! And so are you! Get your hands off me, Lorelle, I'm not going to step back." Siela pushed away from the younger woman and stomped on the foot of one of her men when he came to the rescue. "You listen to me and you listen to me good! I don't care what your law says, and I don't care what you do to me. I see your ogres and unless you have them rip me to shreds I'm not going to be silenced!" The ogres were still approaching, but at some gesture they fell back, their feet rumbling the ground. "Did you give me this trial just to humiliate me? Did you know how this would turn out from the moment you agreed to it?' Well, fine. You've humiliated me. Happy? I hope so, because I am! I quit, and I want everyone to see me quit, and I want you to know I quit because you aren't even a monster. You're just an employer of monsters! You... you... aid and abet them! And you don't care! You have your law, and that's all that you care about, and provided that's not breached, provided the monsters can justify themselves according to it, they can do whatever they want. Well, I won't be part of it!" And she tore the badge of office off her dress, along with a good part of her bodice. "Before you kill me, though, I want you to think about what you've just said. And what you've shown your son. You're powerless before the law? Or you just don't care. What lesson does that teach him?"

"Much, I hope. He is young. He learns. And he will learn from this, too. Jakoni, lift her." Ogres can move fast, when pressed. One was behind her in a flash, and it grabbed Siela by the neck, a thumb resting easily across the jugular. "You, however, have failed to learn. You wish me to disregard the laws? Then you would have been wise to let me resolve this problem, this failure of yours, in my way. You would not. At the least, you would have had the thought needed to prepare a case for the trial you demanded. I tolerate much in the competent. You lack that quality. You are a poor loser, a fool, and a busybody. You quit? Then you are worthless to me, and will be dealt with accordingly. And for all who witness, let this be your lesson as well. When you wish for something to be done according to the law, do not protest when the law does not meet your expectations. I find you wanting, Ma Siela. The sentence is death. Jakoni, she is too tall by one head. Assist her." The ogre placed its other hand around Siela's terrified eyes.

"Wait, father!"
Last edited by Roania on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:48 pm

"I mean, um..." this was a much younger voice with almost no accent. "Please, my lord?"

The ogre looked to the hidden throne. After a moment, Siela's head was released from the great fingers.

"Speak quickly, number one son. And speak well." The Emperor's voice was low, now. And full of danger.

"What reason do you have to kill her? Obviously, she broke the law, but the law doesn't require her death." The young prince's voice hesitated. "Does it? I'm sure it doesn't. I mean, it's not... y-y-y-yes, Lord, I'm sorry, I know. I mean, it doesn't. I know it doesn't. And even if it did, well, what is the first law?"

"I am the first law." This was said with absolute certainty. And a hint of annoyance.

"Then... then you can choose the... the punishment, can't you, father? I mean, Lord? Certainly, you could change the law, so you can definitely change the punishment, I think! I mean..."

There was no answer.

"Please? I've known Miss Ma forever. And, and, you've always told mother, I mean, the Imperial Consort, how good a servant Miss Ma was. That... that must be worth something, yes?"

There was another long silence. And then it was broken by a harsh, dangerous laugh. "You are quite right, my child. Quite right! All of you, learn from Asen Cao's example! Jakoni, please, put Miss Ma down. Gently! Gently. Like the falling blossoms, shaken by the wind." The ogre did as instructed and stepped back and away from the former Grand Secretary. "Excellent! Excellent! My son is correct! My son is quite correct. You, Miss Ma, have served me well. After I took you in at your own insistence, and I granted you the highest office in my galaxy, and I have listened and approved your grand schemes, and tolerated your occasional lapses. I have defended you from your enemies. I have put my highest faith in you. And you have repaid me." There was a long silence. "Oh yes, you have repaid me."

The stunned woman only gasped for air.

"Captain, Miss Ma appears to be at a loss. Please, assist her to the ground." The Captain of the guards cautiously approached Siela, then gingerly knelt her to the ground. She obeyed his instructions like she was a sleepwalker.

"Excellent! As I was saying, Miss Ma, you have repaid me. And so I sadly accept your resignation. You may thank my son for recalling me to my duties." There was silence. Then, a cough. "I said, you may thank my son."

"T-t-thank y-you, Prince Asen Cao." Siela stuttered, clutching the earth and swaying.

"And as you are leaving my service, I grant you three gifts. Let it be known, servants of the Empire, that the lives of all are equally precious to the light, and a basic charter of rights shall be written by the scribes on behalf of the barbarians, such that this may be avoided in future. Of course, this law is not applicable now. And as established, Mar Serahyle, you are found innocent of all charges. Your title and rank are restored. Report to the Hall of the Dragon for your next assignment." The man bowed and vanished. "But that aside. Your words have awoken within me a passion I did not know. And so, I give you this charter. The Charter of Ma Siela. You may thank my son."

"T-t-t-t-t-t" Words failed her, and she struggled for breath. Eventually, she found it, and she smiled weakly. "Thank you, My Lord. Prince Asen."

"I sadly cannot permit you to depart for the Republic, but I assure you you will have no complaints. For my second gift, I grant you what your hard work truly deserves. Rise, Duchess Ma. For your estate... I assign you the the fifth precinct of the First District of the Yinua prefecture. Now, do you object to my beneficence?"

"I... I... I understand that I cannot return, but... my lord..."

"Is it that you do not feel yourself able to manage this challenge, after you have handled the whole realm so well? More self-confidence. That's what I expect from you. But, no matter. Please, direct your thanks to Prince Asen Cao, whose words and example should be a lesson to all the galaxy. Guard Captain, if she finds it difficult to obey, please assist her. I can see she is still unwell."

Eventually, though, Siela managed to bow in gratitude. "Thank you, honorable Prince."

"Captain Jin. Questions for you, from your Emperor. This woman you stand near. Is she not well-featured? Does not her essence and the ripeness of her flesh tell all of her fertility?" The question was in an idle tone idle. "See the softness where her dress was torn open. Surely, it amazes you to know that this woman, well past her coming of age, has no husband? Indeed, has never sought one?"

"It... it is as you say, great and glorious Lord." Captain Jin bowed. "Your words are the essence of truth. I have seen few women unwed who were half so lovely."

Siela's cheeks had turned red, and she wrapped her arms around her bare skin as though she could ward off the sudden attention upon her.

"It is a strangeness. And one I must correct. Captain Jin, Duke Jin. I give Ma Siela to you, and with her, all the property I assigned her. I wish you many years of joy and many, many children." Those words were followed by a long laugh, the first truly joyful one to come from under the pagoda. "I must warn you, Jin. Ma may need some help learning her place. Be sure to teach it to her well? I'm sure you'll find she's a quick study." Captain Jin, or, rather, Duke Jin, stood there in shocked silence for a moment, while Ma Siela's jaw dropped. "Do you object, Captain Jin? I am sure there are others willing, though few so able."

"I... I do not object, oh munificent lord of the stars. I am unworthy of your benevolence. I... the Light shine down upon you, it is only..."

"Do I not get a choice in this matter?" Some of Siela's archness came back to her.

"Of course you have a choice! There's always a choice. Jakoni, stand ready for the choice Ma might make." The ogre lumbered into position, resting on its knuckles and looming over the woman. "Now, Ma. Choose." The former grand secretary opened and closed her jaw a few times, looking around for an escape and not seeing one. The affability faded, and back came the knives. "My patience has long run out. Choose. Now."

"I... I..." Ma Siela looked to the man who was going to be her husband, and clenched her small fists. "My lord, forgive me, I did not mean to offend or insult, you have always been..."

"You speak as though I am punishing you!" There was the kindness. Only slightly surrounded by thorns. "I am acting in regard to your great service for me. As my son requested. Did you not, boy?"

"I.,. I did, but I didn't..."

"No. You did not. Learn from this. You and your friend. And you, Ma Siela. Have you made up your mind?" She took a step towards the man she had been given to, and a step back. Then another step forward. And then, she fainted into Jin's arms. "I was nervous too, on my wedding day. Take her away, Jin. Let me know if she does not please you. As for the rest of you. Dismissed."

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:27 pm

The return to the central palace was subdued for the imperial trio. The Emperor stalked ahead, his fingers resting on his temple. "Ungrateful, insolent, pathetic..." And a host of far less friendly words, in a mixture of languages. Finally, he remembered he was being accompanied and rounded on the two children. "Well. And?" His eyes locked on Cao's face, and the prince began to tremble. "What have you learned, Asen Cao?"

Cao's trembling began to spread throughout his entire body. "I... I... are.. are you angry with me, Lord? I didn't... I thought..." Xeiri put her hand on her friend's shoulder, but it only steadied him slightly. No words left Cao's lips as he began to pale.

"Oh, honorable ancestors, preserve me. Stand still, boy." The Emperor sighed and went to his knees in front of his heir, then put his hands on the boy's shoulders. "Everything I do, son, I do for you. So you will be strong. So you will have what my father could never give me. So you will be ready. Every day, we learn. Today, I have learned that you may surprise me. Impress me. What have you learned?"

"I... I have learned that when the law is called upon, it is absolute." Cao's breath came in shallow fits and starts, terror written in his features now. "And... and that there is always time to listen to... to a call for mercy."

"Hm." His father rose back to his full height. "Mercy. It is not a word often heard in this time. But it is a good word for a Prince to know. And a better word for an Emperor. Yes." For the first time in years, the Emperor smiled at him. "I am... pleased. Go, both of you. You have the rest of the day to yourselves. I must confer with my remaining advisers. Little of value for an intelligent young man and his friend to find there. Light, little of value for me." A few minutes later, the Emperor was gone, off down the hall.

"Did... did you..." Cao's eyes were wide. "He... he said he was pleased with me! He's never said that!"

"Well, that's because..." Xeiri pushed him against the wall and wrapped her tail around him. "You were amazing!!" The young woman pressed every inch of herself against him and locked lips tightly. "I've never seen you stand up to him like that! You saved Miss Ma's life!" A further kiss, and her hands traveled up to the catches of his formal robes. "Light, Cao, I've never been happier to be your friend than I am now." She undid the robes and he let them fall, revealing his light summer clothes underneath. Her own robe had never been held on by more than a prayer, and she let it go.

"Xeiri, what..." Their kisses grew more passionate, his friend's soft body pressing through the thin fabric of her dress... and against him in more ways than one. "Oh..."

That was all, though. Eventually, Xeiri let go of him. Her cheeks were bright red. "I'm so proud of you. I just... I feel like I need to show it a bit differently, now. Did you mind?"

"I... I never mind when you..." He blushed even deeper. "But I couldn't have done it without you there. You make me feel stronger."

The kitsuite put her palms on her friend's face and kissed him one more time. This one was deep, caring, none of the frenetic energy of young lust from before. When she parted, she kissed the tip of his nose. "That's what girls do, I guess. We make boys stronger.."

"W-well, what do boys do?"

"I don't know about 'boys', Cao. But you make me feel really happy. Especially when you look at me like that. And especially when you show everyone how strong you really are." Xeiri licked her lip and blushed at the intensity of the feelings flowing through her. "But we can't stand here all day. Let's go do something."

"O-okay!"

Roania
Ambassador

Always a bigger fish.

Postby Roania » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 am

"And then my father sent you here." Lixuan leaned forward and rested her delicate chin on her perfect hand, perfect green eyes now brightening, now darkening as she considered the man before her. "Did he say why?" There was a wrongness here. She had neither requested aid nor, she was sure, had she done anything that would have drawn daddy's attention. She had been so careful. At least, about cleaning up.

"I'm sure I cannot say, Honorable Princess." Mar Serahyle had remained the perfect gentleman throughout their audience. That had been dull. Such perfect control of his base instincts. Did he not realize she was perfection itself? Or did he think to impress her. "The Lord ordered me only to come and provide you with help."

The Princess pursed her lips. "I'm not sure I have any need for the mass murder of any barbarians under my jurisdiction." Well, that was a bold-faced lie. What she lacked was the authority to order it and the strength to try it. The need was certainly there. "What other skills do you offer?"

"Please, Honorable Princess, that was but one incident in a long and distinguished career." No denial. No sign the words had rankled. Interesting. Dangerous. "Before I left my order, I flatter myself to think I was one of their best, and I have all the skills commensurate. I have traveled far. I have walked many secret paths in many guises. I have seen blood on stone, on sand, on tile. And I have learned its many uses. I have learned of men and women, of spirits and ghosts. And I have learned their ends." Serahyle rose to his feet unbidden, his pride gathering around him in a nimbus she could see. "I have made few mistakes, though I grant you I have made some. But my mind is clearer now. I have regained my poise. I am a weapon, Asen Lixuan, and I have been placed in your hands."

"You are bold. Confident, I will say." Lixuan let nothing of her thoughts show. Here, in her throneroom in the pitiful Governor's Palace of this wretched planet, she was at the heart of her temporal power. Such as it was.

"I have every right."

"Teach me." It was a command. A flippant one, but a command regardless. "Teach me the uses of blood. Teach me what you have learned of men and women. Teach me to walk the secret paths. And I will make you great once more. You will stand before the Dragon Throne as victor and savior, not as penitent. My father will raise you among the heights of the Empire, and on your death you will join the ranks of the spirits." Lixuan rose to her feet and walked down from her throne. Six feet from him, five feet, four feet. She could smell him, now. The intoxicating scent of murder and manhood. Three feet. "Teach me, Mar Serahyle, and I will be your slave." Two feet. Now she could see the desire in his eyes. He controlled it well, then. Or perhaps her coming closer drew it to the surface. "I will give you pleasure. I will give your foes pain." One foot. Another step, and she would be within arm's reach. "Teach me. And I will give you revenge."

He raised an eyebrow. For a moment that was his only response. Then he slowly looked her over, from top to bottom and back to top. She stood there for the examination, wondering which part of her met with the most approval. Her perfect face? Her perfect breasts? Her perfect hips? Her perfect legs? Or perhaps he preferred her as a totality. Especially wrapped as she was, in this sheer blue and gold dress, aching to be torn off her and thrown aside. She knew her mother had told her not to use her body as a weapon, but it was the only one that worked on long range, and surely mother wished her to keep herself safe. At least until she was at close range.

He was thinking. She could see it. Someone less confident would have put herself more on display by now. But she knew she was perfection. She stood there, arms crossed, waiting for his answer.

"No. It does not matter what you offer me, Honorable Princess. I am not permitted to teach these secrets, and I am no teacher, even if I was." He bowed deep in apology.

"That doesn't matter. I had to ask." The Princess took that one more step, and their auras came into contact. "Leave us. I am sure I am in no danger with my father's servant." Her servants made themselves scarce. "Am I?" She asked of him, her smile now open, sincere, a flash of pearly white teeth that ended as quickly as it came. "In danger from you?"

"I have no orders to harm you." Serahyle smiled. "Quite the opposite, I think."

"And no desires to harm me." Lixuan had already put herself within his personal space. Now she closed the remaining distance, til only the length of a needle kept them from touching. "Quite the opposite, I expect."

"You, on the other hand, mean mischief towards me." Serahyle didn't step back, and didn't portray any alarm. "I know what you are, Princess, and I warn you that I can more than defend myself."

Lixuan's smiled faded, grew strained. "I don't know what you're talking about." She was on the back foot now.

"My Order is not reliant entirely on the Dragon Throne for our information, Asen Lixuan." His reproof sent a shiver down her spine. How many people knew? Not too many, she was sure, but how many? Her freedom of action was now in danger! "So long as you behave yourself, however, I will take no steps. After all, I have been placed under your command. To ensure that your stay here is a success." He was here as a spy for her father! No, no, no, this wasn't right. This was not going according to plan! She wondered if she could kill him. And if she did, then would her father send more? That was his confidence, then! He was better than her, stronger than her, she was sure! And he knew things she had no idea about.

Her carefully balanced house of cards was going to collapse. Daddy didn't want her proving herself, Daddy wanted her to sit here and look pretty and learn to be a proper princess, and now Daddy was sending someone to ensure she behaved properly! This man had just said that! And she'd go and cry to Daddy, but then he'd be right! She was just some silly girl! He never said it, but he'd been thinking it! With a wail of frustration, she threw herself at Serahyle, hitting him with her small fists, her body shuddering.

The man's arms instinctively went around her. Not that she was doing any harm. She realized exactly what she was doing to him, and her mood shifted. Internally, at least. On the outside, she rested her head against his chest and let the tears keep flowing, He was powerful. She could feel his strength and his masculinity, both urging him to possess her. Consciously, now, she began to use her power in the simplest way, playing on his arousal. His hands went to her waist. And easily held her. He wouldn't buy innocent, if he knew already. But he would buy... "I... I'm sorry. I'm just..."

"Don't worry, I understand." One of his hands went to her face and he brushed back a tear. "You're just a woman, after all. Your emotions are more sensitive. It's no wonder you couldn't take not getting what you wanted."

"So, you're here to help me learn to behave?" That statement she ignored. "But you have to take most of my orders, right?"

"I'm just here on the command of the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, with his authority, to provide any help I can." The hand still on her waist, acting on its own accord, pulled her closer. "And I can help you best when you tell me what you need me to do. I mean, you're a woman with a lot of power, it's no wonder you need some help." Oh, she was having an affect. Any other girl would have had her doubts, but she could feel the bulwark of his will slowly collapsing behind his eyes. He wanted her physically, and soon, he'd not have the will to stop himself. Impatient for results, she upped the tempo. He didn't know everything, it seemed.

"Then help me." Lixuan's own hands, still resting on his chest, began to go in different directions. "I'm just a girl. I'm alone. I'm scared. I need your help. I need you..." One hand reached its goal as the other touched his face. "I need a man. Kiss me, Mar Serahyle, and be that man." He hesitated, and she wrapped the first hand around him. "Mar Serahyle. I don't want to be alone. And now you're here, I don't have to be. Please...right here. Right on the floor, if you have to."

His will broke, and soon so did the straps holding her dress up. Nude, she pressed hungrily against him, letting his hands feel her perfect body as she continued her own work. "I'm going to enjoy this." He whispered as his own clothes were shed, looking down at her.

"What, this?" The princess posed, stretching, one hand reaching up while the other cupped her breasts and held them together. "You want little me?"

"There's nothing little about you. Lixuan" He kissed her, finally. "Nothing that's not meant to be."

"Mmm..." The heat of his desire against her was a furnace in which she forged her plan. "Oh, you're so strong..." She wriggled her hips now, calling his hands to her rear. "Climb me." She teased. "I want those hands everywhere."Their foreplay continued, and soon she was hard up against her own wall, lifted by his strong arms. Her ripe breasts bounced as she laughed in shock and pleasure. "Careful, Serahyle, Or I'll think you mean to ravish me right here."

"Women should be seen and heard when they're being fucked. But that doesn't mean you should be able to speak." He kissed her to shut her up.

And then she wrapped her tail around him and drove her fangs into his tongue.

Roania
Ambassador

Always a bigger fish, continued.

Postby Roania » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:47 pm

He woke up, an unknown amount of time later. Or was he awake? He lay on gray sand under a starless sky. Or was he? As he struggled to stand, the resistance began to tell. He was under water. Deep under water. And he was not alone.

"There you are, Serahyle." From the thighs up, she was breathtaking. And she was nude, without embarrassment. Indeed, her body may have been even more perfect in this strange hell. She leaned over him, one perfect breast deliberately close to his still eager mouth. His lips parted, and she drew back. And back. And back. On a long, flexible tail. That of some great snake. "No, it wasn't a dream. It's a secret, though. One neither of us will share." She rested back, the tail coiling around itself. "Do you not like it?"

"Why am I here?"

"Teach me."

"Or you'll kill me?" Serahyle found his footing.

The thin tip of the tail wagged back and forth at him rhythmically. "Oh, no, of course not. If you don't teach me, Serahyle, I won't kill you. You'll live a long, long time. Maybe even longer than I will!" She crossed her arms under her breasts and smiled. Showing a row of sharp, unpleasant teeth.

"Then I have nothing to lose from refusing. For all I know, I'm already dead. Did you think to threaten me, child?" The man laughed. "Keep me your prisoner for eternity if you like, but I will give you nothing. Women are unfit to know these secrets, and I have seen no reason to believe you are the exception to this plain rule. I can handle boredom and I can handle slavery. But you? You'll be reduced to begging me for even a taste after a couple of days of knowing I'm here."

Lixuan's smile vanished. "The Light's gift to women, are we?"

"I simply know my captor. You took advantage of my lust for you once, and I no longer feel it. And that drives you mad." Serahyle crossed his arms and smiled. "In fact, now that I have a chance to see you without you blinding me, I don't know what all the fuss was about. You're more girl than woman. Once we get past first encounters, you've got nothing to keep a man coming back for a second. No wonder you had to force a man to take your virginity."

"You are trying to provoke me." The mask of civility vanished. "You are embarrassed by your own failure and seek to regain your confidence by belittling the one who defeated you. In this, you have been successful. I am provoked. But what are you?" I see it in your mind. You harbor hopes of resistance. Of escape, or overpowering me and forcing my submission. You are prepared to fight for your own glory. As you were prepared to disobey my father to be some unneeded hero. As you were prepared to sacrifice life after countless life for more power. As you were prepared to destroy a woman whose only crime was not thinking matters out fully. As you were prepared to let the Princess of the Empire give herself to you. So confident. So brave. So certain of what you deserve." There was the sound of a teakettle whistling. "You need an attitude adjustment. And I will give it to you."

He was ready for her attack, when it came.. Or he would have been, had she attacked with hand or tail. Halfway through her lunch, the part of her that remained a woman vanished, and he found himself wrestling with a snake. A large, angry, powerful snake that he could not get a grip on. It broke his defenses, and when he tried to hold its jaws shut it proved too strong. Where the woman was all softness, the serpent was all coiled muscle. And its fangs would have severed a limb had it wanted to. But it didn't. The great jaws instead wrapped unerringly around his neck and pressed. And stopped.

So ͝that's̡ ͟t͘ḩe͟ s͝ecr͡ȩt͠.̸

͢You ͟a̷ren't̸ ̵a҉lo̕ne ͞i͞n ̛hȩr̡e͘.

̛I th͏ought i͠t͡ w̛ouļd be ̴j҉ưst ̧yo͢u.
̨
B͝ưt̵ t̵h̴er̴e҉'̴s so̕ ma͝ny͏.

It was her voice, coming from inside his head, echoing wrongly as from across the void. "Get out!" His hands wrapped around the snake's neck (?) and pulled. To no avail. His own mental barriers were being swept aside. "Nothing in there is of any importance to you. My secrets cannot be learned that way, because they aren't my secrets. End this madness."

I̛ can̸no͘t͞ find ̢you.̀ ͏Are̢ ͘ýo͘u her̴e̶? ́I̸s̀ t̷hiś ҉y̶o͜u͝r͜s?͞ A̸r̢e t̴hey͠ ̀you?

The snake bit down harder, and there was now the slow drip of venom into his system.

"Oh, don't be a fool. I couldn't help you even if I wanted to. Your questions are without meaning." Serahyle's will was strong, even against her toxin. He struggled to push her out. And the tail lashed against his ribcage, shattering it like it was fine china.

So̷ man̢y.͠
̵
So͢ m͘any̷.̴

͘I did ̵noţ kn̴ow.͏
̛
D͠o̧e̵s ͝fat̷he͡r͡ ̧k̷n͞ow?҉

And suddenly, the snake was gone, and the woman stepped back, pale and scared. "What are you?" Lixuan whispered. "I never knew. I never..." She took a sharp and unneeded breath, letting the water of the dark sea fill her. "Had I not caught you off guard, would I have joined them? Or was I to be merely an ornament? A slave?"

"Did you intend any better for me?"

"Yes! Had you obeyed, I would have kept my word! We could have been... but now, I am glad you didn't." Their surroundings vanished. Time resumed. Lixuan stood above him in the throneroom, nude, wearing only the tattered remnants of her clothes. "...You will not die. You will live until I decide otherwise. Guards! Guards! Help!" She leaned down and whispered in his ear, though, "You need an attitude change, though. How fortunate that there are so many attitudes available with which to exchange yours." That was her last sentence before she tore out his throat.

Roania
Ambassador

The Hall of the Dragon Throne

Postby Roania » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:43 pm

"One did not call you here to listen to your protestations of loyalty. Had there been any doubts on that score, you would not be kneeling before the throne now." The Emperor raised his hand. "Stand." The former Secretaries of Siela's cabinet stood, hands behind their back, eyes on the floor. "As is traditional, one asks for your resignations. It will be for Duchess Ma's successor to determine which, if any, of you will retain a post in the cabinet. You all brought them?" Wordlessly, the men and women held their badges of office out. "Excellent. Nmmr, collect them."

A felinoid dashed down, grabbed the assorted feathers, and returned to his master's side.

"You are dismissed." There was some hesitation, but the former secretaries all filtered towards the door. "No, not you, Aleis. Nor you, Syn Lorelle. One will have a moment more of your time." The two women addressed froze in midstep. "One gives a command and expects to see it obeyed. Return to your positions." Lorelle and Aleis walked to the marks on the ground. Lorelle looked wary, while Aleis looked on the verge of tears. "The rest of you, be gone from one's sight." And all was silence in the hall now. A yawning, empty silence eager to be filled.

"I assure you, Oh Most Munificient Lord, that we had nothing to do with Siela's failure. We barely knew her!"

"Yeah, I was never at her house or anything!"

Still silence.

"I mean, we could have provided her with some more help, but it wasn't in our fields. We were too busy doing our own jobs. Right, Aleis? And we were doing good jobs, too. I mean, I don't have it with me, but there's a ssheet with how yields and revenue were up for my Department across my tenure. That's important, right?"

"And we never did anything together, like, that concert we all didn't go to. And we never..."

"Be silent." The Emperor's voice wasn't raised, but it fell like whips across their backs anyway. "The Myaari have an expression. 'Tripped for the tiger'. You wish to escape the punishment you are sure is coming by abandoning your friend, permitting her to suffer additional indignities while I am distracted." He leaned forward, his hands meeting before his face. "On your knees."

With no more words, Aleis and Lorelle sank to the ground and rested their heads on the cold floor.

"By tradition and by law I could have had the flesh boiled from your living bones for her failures. As it stands, I have chosen to forgive your colleagues. You, however, deserve differently." His horrible chuckle echoed through the hall. "I charged you to educate and guide her. You failed at this task. As I should have expected. She was, sadly, unteachable. No doubt she will fail at her new role and I will have cause to deal with her again. But the impossibility of the task does not excuse your failure. That would call into question all we hold dear. So you shall be punished. And fittingly. Nmmr, their badges. You two. Stand and receive them."

The felinoid came running down and pressed the feathers into the hands of the women. "Mrawr, Foreign Affairs for you. Internal Harmony for you."

"Oh, thank you, Lord." Aleis returned the badge to its place over her heart.

"This is... this is quite an honor." Lorelle closed her hand around the symbol of her rise. Internal Harmony. The secondmost position in the Secretariat. A traditional stepping stone to the Executive itself. Could this really be happening?

"Do not think this is a reward. Ma Siela was a fool, and she did things foolishly. Her successor will be my creature. There will be some changes made, and you will wear them on your backs." The Emperor's lip curled upwards. "Dismissed to your duties. You will meet your new superior shortly."

Roania
Ambassador

Alice, End Times Edition

Postby Roania » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:58 pm

The Lord of Ten Thousand Years had commanded an extermination. And an extermination was had.

The crystal on Alice had been struggling lately. The twists and turns in the world's biosphere, the corruption and salvation and desecration, all of this had had an effect. When the order came, the attendants were pulled out quickly.

And, exactly two minutes after the deadline had come and gone, a pulse was sent through the network from the Mother Crystal on Rudan Prime. The safeguards failed. And a resonance cascade began. The crystal no longer nursed gently from the planet's core. Instead, it pulled up vast swathes of energy and returned it in a different form. The simple blue glow grew brighter and brighter, the cave grew hotter and hotter... and then there was an explosion. Or, well, not an explosion.

If there is an explosion, and no one sees it, is it still an explosion?

The light faded. The crystal was now grey. But all around it, a rippling began. And as it spread, it grew faster.

Realities overlapped. Green fields became sheets of purple and blue. Water became eerie black ice. And life... ended.

Pity the poor soul that had refused to evacuate.
Last edited by Roania on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:00 pm

"My husband would make an excellent Grand Secretary, Lord of Ten Thousand Years." Min went to the floor, enjoying the brief respite between pregnancies. Light, I may want him out of the house for a year or two. It wouldn't keep, though. It never did. Any more than she could keep herself back on the shots. She wanted his children, and she was having them. Light, was she having them. "He is, after all, respected by the Secretariat and the Banners. He is known across the Inner Sphere. He is loyal, honest and true. He is discreet and wise. And he would be far better at continuing the great work of governance than that woman you just removed."

The Emperor leaned forward, steepling his hands. "I have already shown House Greizon great preference, and the people already wonder if your sister-in-law will be their next Imperial Consort. There are many within the Secretariat that are skilled and capable, and many connected to other Houses that would feel they deserve consideration before Greizon Sieg. Why should I hear your request?"

"Because, Oh Lord of the Stars, I will not support any other candidate save my husband. Whoever you choose will find no Minister for Rites among the Temple's priests, and only a fool would look beyond for one. I trust you would not promote such a fool." Ta Min smiled sweetly.

"You propose to blackmail me." The Emperor's voice was cold.

"I only wish, after my advice was ignored in the first place, to have it heeded. If you accept, I will handle the other houses. I think you will find they will be more than willing to accept the necessity." The Celestial Master remained perfectly confident and still. "If my husband does not please you, Lord, then I will accept it as unworkable. But please, could you not let him try?"

The Emperor gave it some thought. "It is true. Greizon Sieg is loyal. And respected. He knows his place. He understands his duties. As he is unwilling to return to my Guards, then I suppose I must consider putting him to use in another fashion. I had thought to make him a Governor. But perhaps... perhaps... very well. On one condition." He smiled. "You, Ta Min, will resign your post as Celestial Master. Effective immediately. Or you will regret your boldness."

"The moment I resign, you'd have me fed to the dogs." Min's voice cracked. "As it stands, I am safe in my boldness."

"There is no safety, woman. I am only barred from slaying you. You would, I promise, be surprised at what you can live through." A scowl. "You have my word there will be no consequences if you resign. But I will not have one family as two of my great servants. Your choice."
Last edited by Roania on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roania
Ambassador

Fifty Shades of Greizon

Postby Roania » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:30 pm

"You have no right, boy!" Grand Marshal Mai roared, far louder than a man of ninety should yell. His fist slammed on the low table, shaking the papers that had been placed there. "How dare you come in here with your demands! You're lucky I don't have you whipped for your impudence!"

"The confidence of the Emperor and the laws of the Empire give me the right, Grand Marshal Mai." The Marquis Greizon, Grand Secretary of the Empire, didn't raise his voice. "Is that not sufficient for you? The audit will proceed as scheduled. The Banners as well as the Secretariat. I regret that you feel so strongly about it, but your cooperation is requested for the good of the realm."

Mai's jaw worked in silence for a minute, his outrage taking solid form in him. "I have served many upon the Dragon Throne and alongside many Grand Secretaries, and never has one been so bold! Take your seal and begone. There will be no audit. Not by any officer of the banners, not on order by any civilian, and certainly not under the auspices of a barbarian, no matter how well bred."

The Marquis' tail frizzed slightly and his ears stood up, but that was the only sign of unhappiness. "If you object to my request, then I will make it an order. You will cooperate, Grand Marshal, or I will be forced to take steps."

"I do not report to you! How dare you! Did your mother teach you nothing? You seem to have learned all too much from the unworthy barbarian fool who married her." Mai grabbed the paper and tore it to shreds. "Your orders are nothing here. And there are no steps you will take that will change that."

"You are trying to provoke me. And I am sorry you feel the need to do so." Another similarly sealed paper, identical to the first, was produced and placed on the table. "If you do not cooperate with me to determine the effectiveness and manpower of the Lord of Ten Thousand Year's armies, then I will order the treasury to cease cooperation as well. After all, the Chancellor will not know if your claims are legitimate. I would be doing the Dragon Throne a disservice if I permitted full salaries to be paid out under the last budget, calculated using numbers from five reigns ago. Which was when the last full audit took place." The Marquis reached up and pushed his glasses up his nose. "We would be forced to return all wages to the levels set under the reign of the YaoQin Emperor. The enlisted wages. Chancellor Pan Seon was very clear."

"This is madness! What does some Jeoken eunuch banker know of the Banners? Greizon Sieg, now I implore you to be reasonable. There has been no audit because none has been required. I implore you, as heir to the Prince of the Center, set aside these doubts. And these half-men you surround yourself with." Mai leaned forward to half-bow.

"I chose Pan Seon Hok because he was a very good banker, and the Treasury is too important to be dealt with haphazardly. The Lord of Ten Thousand Years approved his appointment because he agreed with my judgement of the man. To ignore Chancellor Pan Seon and his advice would not be the honorable course. Especially not now he has the Emperor's remit." Greizon Sieg peered at the Marshal over his glasses. "And I will tell you what he will say if I go to him and say how strongly you have fought. He will say that you must be hiding something."

"Of course he would. These Jeoken don't know the first thing about a man's honor, and a eunuch would know less." The Grand Marshal sniffed and turned his nose up. "I refused, I am refusing, and I will continue to refuse. Your command is meaningless and your threats empty. There will be no audit. You have not the authority to order one. None of your predecessors saw fit to do so, and you will not run the risk of revolt by carrying through on your eunuch's suggestion. Off with you, Grand Secretary. Spend your credit where your credit is good. You are young, and you will learn in time, and so I graciously forgive you." The second piece of paper was torn in half and dropped to the side.

"I am Grand Secretary of the Realm, First Councilor to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years. My credit is good in many places, Grand Marshal." A third piece of paper arrived on the table. This one was sealed with yellow wax and marked with the black lines of the imperial dragon. "And if you think to tear this piece up, be aware that my next is a warrant for your immediate execution." The Grand Secretary rose to his feet. "I had hoped to avoid this. I had hoped that we two may sort this out among ourselves, like good servants. Now, I will forgive how rudely I have been treated since I arrived. And I will forgive the insults cast on my rank, and on my honorable mother, and on my honorable father. I, perhaps, should have chosen my words with more care. As you say, I am young, and I will learn. Good afternoon, Honorable Grand Marshal." Greizon bowed low, fist to palm.

"I will seek an audience with the Lord of Ten Thousand Years immediately. In fact, I will hie to the palace now." Mai rose to his feet. "Do not bid me farewell yet, you shall accompany me."

Greizon bowed once more. "As you say, then, Grand Marshal."

Roania
Ambassador

Hall of the Dragon Throne

Postby Roania » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 pm

"Too many feel my time is limitless." The Emperor walked through the opened doors, and the petitioners went to their hands and knees. "I had not thought either of you fools. Grand Marshal, what is the first law?"

"You are the first law, Lord of Ten Thousand Years." The Grand Marshal said with confidence, or as much as one can have while groveling.

"Indeed I am." The Emperor chuckled dryly. "I am the first law. And what is the last law, Grand Secretary?"

"You are, Lord of the Sea of Stars." Sieg answered with ease.

"As the stars are set and lit until their appointed time, so too do I set you in your places until your appointed time. An Emperor that has the time to deal with your tasks as well as his own is no fit master of this galaxy and no fit servant to carry the burdens of its people." The Emperor slapped his hand on the ancient wood of his throne. "What is the meaning of this, that the first men of my realm come to me to resolve their conflict like the youngest of children? Grand Marshal? What do you want me to do?"

"Lord of all Blessings, I know that I am unworthy to deserve the slightest of your time. I am the son of dogs and the father of snakes, and one so loathsome as I would never approach the Throne were it not a matter beyond his own self." Mai rose to his knees, but only to once more prostrate himself. "This most despicable slave wishes nothing more than that the Dragon Throne should remove the stain of dishonor that the most meritorious Grand Secretary has lain on the Banners, no doubt unknowingly."

"...explain, Grand Secretary."

Sieg rose to his feet and bowed in salute. "Under the advice of Chancellor Pan, I have decreed an audit of the Dragon Throne's treasury. This morning, I approached the honorable Grand Marshal and informed him that the Banners would be subject to the audit, as military salaries and maintenance are both drawn from the treasury, and that I would expect his cooperation. Perhaps I spoke rashly at our meeting, but I have already begged for, and received, forgiveness."

"Grand Marshal? Rise and speak."

"The banners require no auditing. To say otherwise is to claim that men you have trusted with the martial power are unworthy of your trust! And to do so at the word of a half-man Jeoken is an insult no true soldier would stand for."

"What does Chancellor Pan aim to uncover, Grand Secretary? In your own words."

"He has expressed uncertainty that so many men are under the Banners as is stated, and is concerned that some among the lower ranks are leading empty commands and pocketing the salaries of ghosts. Chancellor Pan has spoken, too, on the notion that once an audit has been conducted a reform may be carried through. This has, apparently, some support among the ranks, though I would not dare to speak on a matter I am unqualified and I told him to keep his mind on his own work."

"This Pan sounds a most laudable and zealous servant." The Emperor's voice froze the air. "Scarcely Chancellor for a week and he has bought you both before me. What do you wish, Grand Marshal? That I remove his head and return him to his ledgers?"

"His scalp will do nicely, Lord. After all, it is not his fault he is ignorant of the ramifications of his work."

"Chancellor Pan has my full confidence, Lord. As I hoped I have yours." Sieg's voice was low. "To remove him is to state that you no longer have the faith you expressed when you gave me your seal. I would have no choice but to resign."

"Then resign and be done with you!" The Grand Marshal roared. "There will be a new Emperor and a new Dynasty before I submit to a barbarian such as you! Not even the Slut-Empress would have let you blackmail..." The silence had once been a living thing. Now, the Hall of the Dragon Throne was silent like a crypt. "That is to say..."

"Your tongue is too long, Mai Tzen. It escapes the wisdom of the jaw that sought to quiet it. My servants shall assist you with that when I have determined the proper course of treatment. Grovel. Perhaps you may save the lives of your sons." The Emperor leaned forward, and his voice was a frozen wind. "On your knees."

Sieg stepped slightly to the side and looked away as the guards arrived at the side of the cringing old man. "Lord, I had no intention of speaking blackmail and ask your forgiveness if that was your interpretation. I am but a man. I did not seek this title. You will find many to replace me."

"You have my full faith and confidence, Greizon Sieg. As does our most meritorious Chancellor. Bring him before me. I would hear what he has to say himself. As for this one, take him away from my sight. In recognition of my Grand Secretary's delicate sensibilities, the remainder of the Mai clan may remain at large. For now."

Roania
Ambassador

Greater than the sum of its parts

Postby Roania » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

'Two alone, one together.'

Qiru Rihyl and Asen Tonen did not talk any more. They did not need to. When they were forced to part, the pain of separation made it impossible to stand the other's voice at a distance. When he returned home, she was always waiting for him in the entryway, dressed as he wished her to be dressed, smiling as he wished her to smile. When she departed for business he could not play a part in, he was always prepared for her return in much the way.

There was no need to discuss the events of their days. Feelings, thoughts, advice were shared. Her concern met his frustration, his affection soothed her exhaustion. When around others, they found the words to share, but it no longer felt right to speak. They were not alone. Did a hand speak to its mate?

Love was in his eyes and his heart. Lust was in his lips as they teased hers.

Love was in her lips as she answered his kiss with a wordless song of desire. Lust was in her hands as they traced his muscles on their way to his belt.

He shrugged the robe off and drew her in for a second kiss, fanning the flame of her desire. Strong, yet gentle, fingers found soft flesh, still hidden by all too much fabric.

Amusement, now. She knew what was coming. And she relished it, raising her arms as her dress was stripped from her. A trick he had first performed successfully years ago. After months of pleasant practice and many dresses. And it still filled her with determination and adoration. She found a pose he liked and licked her lips as her deft fingers began untying the knot that rested in her cleavage, aware of where his eyes were, aware of the little answering lick.

His pants had to go, of course. They were in the way of their desires, and it was not comfortable. As the shift slid down her pale arms, the pants dropped to the floor.

She smiled and teased him, both with her hands and across their bond. He let her know his appreciation in much the same way. And for a moment, naked flesh on naked flesh, they were still in arms, and their lips met.

They had kissed this way before. Countless times. And each time was the same. Their bodies almost as united as they were, fingers trailing the ways they were different, minds the way they were the same. When the moment of total unity did come, she spoke for the first time. "My husband..."

"My wife..." And then silence, save breath. All was physical and all was within them.

Soon, they would have a child. It was their obligation to their ancestors. Many children, if the Spirits were willing.

But today they were one, and it was as one they pledged their love.

Roania
Ambassador

The Great Western Palace, Tokonria

Postby Roania » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:07 pm

"It is a beautiful palace. Fit for my use." The Princess stepped down the steps, trailed by her servants. "You have done well, Jun Lee. Those who come here will see my power, and the greater power of our Lord of Ten Thousand Years."

"It is my duty merely to serve, Most Glorious Princess." The architect went to his knees and rested his head on the polished ground. "This lowly servant is most pleased that you feel he has filled his instructions from the Lord, to craft a place as lovely as the one he appointed over the barbarian kings."

"I am lovely, aren't I." Lixuan stepped in front of him and held her hands out to the side, as if calling on the spirits of this place to witness the truth of her statement. "Such is my merit that I have become more beautiful than all the stars in the sky. And yet, a gem is beautiful, but unless set properly it is of no account. Do you feel that this is a proper setting for my glory? You may look upon me, before you answer."

Jun Lee slowly rose to his feet and did as his mistress had bidden. She was perfection in feminine form, yet despite her orders he feared to linger too long in his examination of her luscious and, aye, perfect form. One did not gaze too boldly upon the spirits, lest they struck you down. "It is my finest work yet, Most Beautiful Princess. It is all my skill as architect and artist, and I have put it at your service. It is to your mind if you feel properly set here."

"Your finest work yet?" Lixuan ran her fingers over the carvings on the wall. She had insisted on snakes, he recalled. An unusual motif in this day and age, but his instructions from the Lord had been most clear. So, snakes it was in various symbolic forms. Her lithe fingers trailed the motif of a fertility serpent from split tongue to split legs. "You hope to do better?"

"Every artist hopes to do better, Oh Perfect Vision." He bowed once more. "Your task has been a challenge, but I have learned much from it. My next job..."

"I will pay you your weight in silver for you to take no other jobs." The Princess knelt by him and placed her hand on his chin, bringing him to look into her jade eyes. "Let this be your last."

"You ask me to give up my livelihood,Oh Superior Loveliness." Her eyes crinkled slightly. "Yet old though I am, I am not immune to certain inducements. Twice my weight in silver, and I shall never craft another palace. And though your land is heated, my bed is cold. If you were to see to it it was warmed..."

Lixuan laughed, and her laughter was as the ringing of bells. "Anything for this to remain your finest work, artist." And then her eyes narrowed, and the snake that lurked in the pictures around this room was now looking through them. "Take Master Jun to his bed, and fill it and him with molten silver. Twice his weight."

Roania
Ambassador

Shrine of the Crystal Maidens

Postby Roania » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:31 pm

"Stand."

The women stood.

"Sit."

The women sit.

"Stand."

The women stood.

"Sit."

The women sit.

"Stand."

The women stood.

"Kneel."

Each was in their sixteenth year. Each was beautiful, though how they were beautiful was as diverse as the Empire was diverse. Soft, round Rudanese and Jeoken knelt side by side with dark Tonhi and taller Myaari knelt side by side with strong Akukofo and ghostlike Yannar. And each was nude, though the chill in this open mountain shrine was nothing to scoff at. Their breaths, which came in perfect unison, hung in the air as a fog.

"You have renounced what is your birthright as women and set aside the knowledge of men and children for the duration of your service. This is no small thing. And yet, it is no great thing. Millions of women, fresh from their ceremonies, the water still dripping from them, have chosen this path. I shall not minimize your sacrifice, Maidens of the Crystal, but I will not make it more than it is. That is what men are for." The elder walked through the aisles on soft, slippered feet. "But that is not why you have been brought here. No, you are here because you offer the Dragon Throne more than your sisters. You have all passed numerous tests. Some of them you knew, and some of them you did not know. This is the way of our order."

None of the girls answered. They had, all of them, been trained enough to know not to. And the elder returned to the front and opened a small bag. Within were an assortment of crystals. Each was the same shade of bluish green, and each was the same shape and size, a rounded teardrop. "Do you hear me, Mother of Crystal? These novices have come for your blessing, that they may serve."

I give my blessing freely. And I thank you all for your willingness to hold my children. Treat them kindly, I beg of you.

"We thank you, Mother of Crystal, for this and for all blessings you have bestowed on us and our people. Your children will be of our flesh and of our blood until we are dust and ash." The maidens spoke together, as they had been coached last night.

"Now, each of you, rise and take what has been offered. Choose well where you will set it, though, for your oath is binding." They came forward, forming an orderly line and after receiving their gifts stepping to the side.

Some chose to hold the stone to their forehead, between their eyes. Others still placed it on the back of their dominant hand. A couple of the maidens placed it on their collarbone, between and above the breasts that would someday nourish new life. The Myaari, as expressionless as stone, placed it in her belly-button. All would feel the same thing. Warmth. Comfort. Unity. And a voice that was no voice, merely thoughts and emotions.

The compact has been spoken, and flesh has met crystal. We are servant and slave, and we will see what others cannot and do what others will not. As we live, we die, as we die, we live. So it has always been.

And the maidens, no longer feeling the cold so much, would walk together to the end of the path, take a step onto thin air, and proceed up the path, to the place of their next lesson.

Roania
Ambassador

Aeonic Register: Ares' First Source for Independent Roanian

Postby Roania » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 am

Planet: Shyspo 657, aka Zuknak's Lament, aka Tai Yuut

Local Date: 100th year since colonization

Official Date: 90th Year since Pacification. 18th year of Present Era

Following the final defeat and dissolution of the Ardan Coalition, numerous wildcat settlements were established by defeated Melkorian loyalists on worlds believed then to be beyond the reach of what they feared would be harsh justice at the hands of the Triumvirate and its allies. A number of these worlds would later turn out to be within the path of what the Roanians called the 16th expansion, that brought the Empire into contact with the Sol Sphere powers in the first place. Little has een heard of any of these distant and generally forgotten colonies since, either from Roanian disdain in freedom of information or a victor's disinterest in the fate of the defeated.

But the price for too much silence is complicity. Rumors have arisen that the elected governments on these worlds are being brutally suppressed, and on many worlds large scale clashes are rumored to be taking place as the current Emperor's push for standardization and centralization has begun to take effect in the so-called middle sphere.

The Roanian Empire has made no secret of its plans to eventually render the whole galaxy subject to its laws. This has been easy enough to mock and dismiss, especially when they're running roughshod over mutual enemies or those even worse, or their own subjects. But we must ask when silence becomes complicity.

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 am

"For millennia the Dragon Throne welcomed the new year by welcoming emissaries from across the Three Spheres, where they will be given the official calendar and perform the three rites of obeisance." Sieg held his hands out in the rite of entreaty, kneeling before the Throne and his Lord upon it. "The wars of the past centuries disrupted this ceremony, but are we not taught that there is value in restoring traditions? Renowned Master Ta said 'The Five Sisters rest against their mother', which Hun Xi says means this, 'That which is new will not stand if it is not built on solid foundations from the past'."

The Emperor said nothing, his fingers resting together as he contemplated the kitsuite. Only the glimmering eyes of the great throne seemed to move in the stillness of the room. Finally, the voice of Heaven was heard, from a long way off. "You are a strange messenger to bring to us a message of respect for our traditions, Grand Secretary. We respect the wisdom of honorable Hun Xi, and heed well the teachings of the Renowned Master. There are, however, many traditions that have been renounced from days past that we do not return to. We must learn from history, but history continues. One sees no reason to welcome the many worlds to stand before the throne. Loyalty that must be compelled is not rewarded with merit. Obedience bought with fear is not given the courtesy one gives a good servant. Respect that demands compensation is no respect at all."

"This humble and unworthy servant, Lord, would not dare to question the Master of the Sea of Stars, nor challenge the wisdom of the Ruler of Heaven. Yet he has been charged by his Lord with the representation and administration of the Worlds, and so must speak in their defense if he is to serve his given task. Surely it is not meant to state that all the worlds are disloyal? The Banners and Fleets sing their allegiance in ten thousand voices and ten thousand tongues. The Secretariat is staffed by ten thousand more."

"To reward a man for willingly doing what is his duty may only be read as a rebuke of those who are resentful. To reward the resentful equally would demoralize the willing. To punish the resentful and reward the willing at the same time is not the act of one who gives his heart to all his actions. All kneel before the Throne, as all will kneel before the Throne. This is not merit. This is what is due. To reward those who go beyond what is due and to punish those who fail to provide what is due? That is wisdom. To reward those who obey properly and those who obey improperly alike? This is folly."

"It is also folly, Husband, to treat the restoration of a customary ritual as a reward. Could not one say that as they all, willingly or unwillingly, perform their duties, so to the Throne must obey its own obligations to all alike, with equal hand?" The Consort leaned forward and smiled at Sieg. "Reward those who do more, and punish those who do less. But Heaven knows not the minds of men, we are taught, and so it rains equally on the worthy and unworthy. I have heard in this very chamber that all those discussed do their duty. That it is done willingly or not is not of importance. Willingness must be earned through wise rule and fairness."

"This is not a woman's business, Wife." The Emperor spoke without heat. He had said this ten thousand times since their union, always to no purpose.

"Though it is a woman who speaks, do not forget that she is the Lady upon the Phoenix Throne, the Wife of an Emperor and the mother of a Future Emperor, the daughter of a King and the sister of a King, You and I are as one soul, one heart and one flesh, pledged to one another for ten thousand years." She placed her hand atop his and spoke below the hearing of any in the chamber. "I know your mind, husband. You will not lose me again. It is not even a gamble."

"...We will consider your petition, Greizon Sieg." The Emperor stroked the coil of the dragon beneath his left hand with a finger. "You will have an answer with ample time before the beginning of the new year, should it be judged worthy of acceptance."

Roania
Ambassador

Tragedy Today...

Postby Roania » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Tragedy today as a fire has claimed the lives of the Great Prince of the East, Nesar VIII, along with his consort, Princess Bo.

The fire was believed to have begun in the main parlor overnight following a lightning strike and quickly spread throughout the Qiru compound. Owing to the honored former Prince's heroic actions, there were no casualties apart from the noble couple. He is believed to have perished in the flames following the evacuation of the servants and the explosion of the crystal cell. Lady Bo survived the initial fire but perished from smoke inhalation en route to a hospital, following a regeneration failure. Her last words were, 'It is fit and due.'

Prince Nesar IX has refused to permit the scouring of the destroyed property for the ashes of his father, saying that it is fit and proper for him to rest forever in the home he loved so much. His coronation was approved by the Dragon Throne, and a formal day of mourning has been proclaimed across Rudan.

The Late Prince served four generations of the Imperial Family, and was early on associated with the Retired Empress in her government. As the Secretariat prepares for the official day of mourning and his associates are able to gather their recollections, we will bring you updates and reminiscences.

The Prince is survived by five children, all but one of whom have passed the age of majority.

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Cao rested on the inner wall, looking out at the distant lights of the city and their reflections on the water. It was a cold autumn night, but at the moment he didn't feel any of it. He didn't really see what he was looking at, either. His thoughts were elsewhere. "Married... I... I'm going to... Xeiri... m-m-my..." He couldn't figure the rest out. She loved him. His best friend. She had fought his father for him, and... and he had lifted a hand to his father for her, and she... she was so beautiful and warm and strong. And she was going to marry him. He was going to marry the best girl in the universe. She was so perfect, and what was he? Well... she seemed to like him, right? That... that's something. If she liked him, he must be worthwhile! Xeiri loved him. She... she had told his dad that, even. And that was good. He wasn't useless! An unfamiliar feeling began to prickle in Cao's heart. Pride, perhaps. But... how did he feel? "I..."

She had vaguely known she was there, but her presence was so familiar and warm that he hadn't really processed it. So he started somewhat when she put her hand on top of his, realizing that the beautiful girl had climbed up to join him. "I meant every word, Cao." This was all she said as he turned his face towards her, looking into the hazel lakes that led to her soul. "I would do anything for you." Her other hand touched his face, exploring his cheekbones, raising lightning at her touch. "And now, I'm going to tell you the truth." He listened as she spoke, explaining her bargain with his father. Explaining his father's threats and anger and disappointment, even before she had joined his life in this form. "I wanted to protect you. Always. And at the end, I couldn't... I couldn't even protect myself." Cao wasn't sure what to say to that, so he didn't say anything. "I was going to die before you came in, and... and... all I could think of was that I hadn't been what you wanted. What you needed. What..."

He tried to put his arm around her. "Xeiri, you..."

She pushed him away. "That... that's right. That's who I am. I'm Xeiri. I'm a girl." She pulled her hands back and ran them down from her shoulders to her hips. "And... and I think I didn't understand that. I was trying to be something... something I'm not any more. So... so..." Tears began to trickle down her cheeks. "So I meant it. I'd do anything for you. I was trying to be what I thought you needed, but... but maybe your dad is right. Maybe I should give it up. Be just... traditional. Be the girl you want me to be."

He didn't know what to say to that, so he slapped her across the face, then wrapped her in his arms and hugged her tight. "You're the girl I want you to be. The woman I want to marry." His voice cracked with anxiety and fear. "The woman I will marry. And I don't care what anyone else has to say. I love you, Xeiri. I've loved you from the moment we met. The strongest and smartest girl in the universe, and if someone else has a problem with you doing what you want, then... then I'll fight them for you. Even if they're my dad! No matter what!" She shuddered in his arms and he tightened his grip, pulling her closer than she had ever been, the heat of her body banishing whatever chill there was in the air.

She looked up at him, and though her face was red, she was laughing. "You hit me!"

"I... I'm sorry, on the shows when... someone is saying stupid things, the other characters will slap them! Like, you know, 'The Adventures of the Three Fat Monks!' We saw that..."

Xeiri sniffed and smiled. "Just watch out, Asen Cao, because I'm going to get you back. And girls fight dirty." She stuck her tongue out, giggling at the fear he couldn't quite hide. "Maybe one night, far in the future, we'll be sleeping in our bed, and I'll wake up and do something to you, and you won't know why. But I will."

"O-our bed..." Cao's eyes widened at the thought.

"Mmmhm. And remember, newlyweds sleep naked together. There'll be all sorts of opportunities..." She ran her finger down his chest and leaned up to kiss him. He couldn't breathe. Naked? He... she... she was going to be his wife, and that meant... his eyes drifted closed at the kiss and she slid further into his lap. "Oh, Cao." She giggled. "I can tell you like that idea. But you shouldn't be thinking of anything naughty, my love." She kissed him again, her tongue seeking to draw his out into combat. "After all, we have four months. Can't you wait?" He could barely think, as she untied his robe and slipped closer. Somewhere along the way, her own robe had fallen aside. The firm spheres of her perfect breasts were now kept away only by the the thinnest of silks. "I guess I can't..." She licked the edge of his ear, pushing hard for his undivided attention, drawing a soft, pleased moan as her hands busied themselves on his torso.

Cao couldn't believe what was happening. His hands didn't know where to go, either. One traced a breast's hardened tip, then fell to her hip and pulled her in yet closer. "Xeiri..." He breathed her name like it was a benediction to his ancestors, and closed his eyes once more as her hands curled onto his chest... and a moment later he was hitting the water.

"I told you I'd get you back." Xeiri said, sliding down from the wall and helping him to his feet. She was breathing heavily, though his own ardor had chilled somewhat. "And I didn't want to ruin our wedding bed with revenge." And then she was in his arms once more, not caring for the damp or the chill or the grumpy tortoise that was splashing away. Her voice went low and slow, and somehow he found that even more exciting than what they had been doing on the wall. "Thank you, Cao." And Cao blushed and held her.

Roania
Ambassador

Old Markets at the Foreign Quarter, Loewei District, HuanXin

Postby Roania » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm

"Is this the real thing?" The boy gaped at the tube in his hands. "The... the... Manly?" Just right here! For sale! On a counter! Lu Chao hadn't thought it would be this simple! This was much easier than asking his father to bring him in for regeneration therapy.

""Yes, that's the real thing. Just got a batch in. Priced to move at two ces, six hundred. That's our barbarian price." Apothecaries were a common sight in the Empire. Combination pharmacies and beauty salons, they sold medication and herbs alike. Here at the Foreign Quarter, though, things were somewhat different. The Western Barbarians didn't seem to care for the crowded stalls of a proper market, or the jumbled clutter of goods that would usually decorate a table. Nor did many of them care to bargain. It meant they paid more, but what did the Rudanese care? "Local price is 2 ces, 250."

"Would... would you take..." The boy looked at the precious vitamins and at his tiny purse. He wasn't a bad looking boy. The problem was no one could be bothered to tell him so. There were three other brothers at home and he was often lost in the shuffle. When his parents noticed him at all, it was to remark on how glad they were that they didn't have to notice him. He didn't put himself forward to be noticed by the girls and so they generally didn't notice him. Not when there were boys actively pursuing them. His lack of self-confidence could have been twisted by malign influence into something dreadful, but he had avoided that. Instead, it had become self-perpetuating. And so he had saved his money and come here one day after school, hoping to obtain the mythical drug that made a man out of you. "Would you take one ces?" His fingers twirled through the small copper coins he had saved. It was everything he had to his name, but it would be worth it if it made people take him seriously.

The apothecary spat on the ground (a rather nasty habit, many in the upper class admitted, but one far too common among their servants and employees). "Nah. Least I'll do for you, and it's taking all the profit out of it for me, is 1 ces, 400. Not the easiest thing to get imported, and I'll make more money selling it to idiot barbarians then on the local market anyway. For whatever reason it's pretty hard for decent people to find out west." A western pharmacist would at this point, perhaps, have asked why the boy was looking for such a drug anyway. "I got another one, if you like. Hold on." That was not part of her job description, so she didn't. Grabbing her cane she tottered around the counter and pointed at one of the shelves. "Can you reach that box, young mister?"

"Of course, honorable apothecary." He took it down and looked at it. This was a lot flashier than the Manly box. Bright red and pink and blue lettering in several different languages on packaging showing a beautiful woman safe in the arms of a smiling and happy man. "Dok...tor... Ebiloma something...... Dee-riiived ..." No, he could barely read the Galactic Standard. He turned to the far more congenial task of looking at the characters on the side. "For the promotion of health and beauty, take the Good Doctor's vitamin pills twice a day with food."

"Yeah, got a shipment of these in the other day. Been selling steadily. I haven't heard any complaints, not that I'm listening for them." Mostly to girls, true, but most beauty products sold primarily to girls. "For you, I'll do 600. Not three wen less, mark me. That'll get you what you want and you'll have some left over to take someone out for a few meals."

"Oh!" That was much more reasonable. Why would anyone pay so much for the Manly when something else was available that was a bargain? With a happy smile he counted out the small pile of copper she had asked for, took his purchase, and walked away after a polite bow.

Roania
Ambassador

Fengmen District School, Zhuzisua Prefecture

Postby Roania » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

"Settle down, class. Settle down." The teacher raised his hands and lowered them in the traditional fashion for demanding the attention of one's juniors. It didn't work, of course. The children were far too busy talking, fighting, playing and throwing things to listen to the old man.

"So then I hit him again!"

"Whoa! High Score!""

"I can't believe Lisu's parents let her come to school like that!"

"Did you see that episode over the weekend? You know, with the Giant Glowing Nmmr?"

"And he was like GAWP. I'm serious!"

"Oh, you know she's just showing off while she's the only one who can. Next year it won't be as funny."

"AND NOW, MARQUIS MING, IT IS TIME FOR MY REVENGE!"

"Children! Please! I have some very important information for you about next year! Do try to pay attention!" The teacher looked to the Headmistress, who was standing at the door and shaking her head. With a groan he fell back into his seat. Only two months left until retirement. Let the woman deal with this lot.

Which she did, and quite effectively, by marching into the throng and grabbing a random babbling student by the ear, then twisting until he screamed. As soon as order was restored she walked back to the front. "Demerits for the whole class. Now, if you will all kindly stop your babbling, we have an announcement to make." She looked over the sea of faces, one of whom was rubbing his healing ear. "Look to your left and to your right. See how you are all dressed." Every child was dressed much the same, in a long featureless smock. Same as they had dressed for the past six years. For a few of them, it was a less appropriate look than it had been. Though only Lisu pushed the bounds of appropriate attire, a fact she suddenly realized wasn't as nice when everyone kept finding an excuse to look back at her. And her chest. The Headmistress smiled slightly. "Starting this afternoon, we will begin fitting you for your uniforms and gym clothes. Next week, and until the end of the year, you will be dressed in your uniforms in the afternoon, to prepare you for next year when you will be wearing them full time. Mister Tzi, if you would continue?"

"Err... yes, yes, of course, Headmistress." The teacher coughed and rose back to his feet. "This was my last year at Fengmen District, as some of you may know. This being the case, both the Headmistress and two trainees from the Academy will be joining us tomorrow to meet you under my guidance. They will be your teachers next year. Now, can anyone tell me why you will be having a man and a woman teaching you starting next year? Yes, young Miss Cho?"

"Because next year we'll be twelve and we'll start taking segregated classes and learning about boy and girl things!"

"Well done. Merits for you, Young Miss Cho. I want you each to look around you. You may see one another as children, still. But I want you all to think seriously about this fact: Odds are high the person you'll marry is sitting in this room right now. And starting next year, that's what you'll be preparing for."

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:13 pm

"Well are we told, as from old, that to multiply the laws is to multiply the criminals. The sages tell us that it is best to permit man to reform himself." The lecturer looked at the text on the aging yellowed scroll on his lectern. "These are the writings of the learned Tae Linfu. He believed that it was the best action for the ruler to serve as an example for his subjects, and so he counseled Prince Wu to hold himself up as a pillar of rectitude and let his people be. However, Teacher Za Mo disputed this. He is recorded as saying, as he served the Prince of Qo, that 'It is the Responsibility of the learned to enlighten the ruler, and the ruler to enlighten his people. To permit the people to indulge in error when they may be corrected is no more right than to permit them to die of starvation when they may be fed.' He cited as support for this the example of the Great King, who taught the people the first laws. 'Surely we are not to argue that Altei Lo was wrong when he forbade murder, theft and the three marriages?' Student Cao Sun! What did the Most Revered Sage Ta Quan say when the First Emperor asked him which advice is to be followed?"

Cao Sun had appeared, at least at first, to be dozing in his seat. But he stood up to speak forthrightly and precisely. "The Revered Sage said that such was their wisdom, that he hesitated to argue with either authority. But when he spoke, he advised thus, "The people must be taught how to walk the way, as well as be shown the gateway.' And the First Emperor was satisfied."

"Very good, Cao Sun! Lae Jaelin! Han Kon, after the Emperor departed, questioned this advice. Why did he do so?"

The woman flipped through her notes to locate the proper word, and rose to her feet herself. "'Han Kon said, 'Revered master, you have in the past dismissed Za Mo and praised Tae Linfu. Yet here you follow Za Mo in your advice to our Lord."

"Very good, Lae Jaelin. Kim Sil-Jun, what was The Most Revered Sage Ta Quan's answer?"

The Jeoken coughed and rose to his own feet. "'I agreed with neither and I agreed with both, and so did the Lord hear it. For you, Han Kon, the way is a simple path. To be shown the gateway was enough for you. And were we all Han Kon, and were our Lord the Great Sage King, it would suffice for an example to be placed before us. Yet we are not all Han Kon, and our Lord is not the Great Sage King. For some, the way is like the mazes of Han Sele. In this, the Lord merely walks ahead of us. Heaven has given him to us, yet it gives him little more than it has given us, and in future Heaven may give us another. Therefore, let there be laws, that shall be signposts to guide man through the maze."

"Very good. This concludes today's lecture. For our disputation in two hours, the topic will be as follows: 'Was Kon Tsi right in assuming that the text of the 'Teachings of Master Ta' are properly attributed to his first pupils, or was Jin Lu Kan correct when he accepted the Derivationist claim that the modern text was assembled following the War of the Three Emperors?' Rows one through four will be arguing for Kon Tsi, and rows five through eight will be arguing for Jin Lu Kan. Dismissed to prepare."

Roania
Ambassador

Lethon

Postby Roania » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 pm

The attack came suddenly and without warning. One moment there was empty space, and the next two hundred and fifty warships appeared against the stars. Distant enough that their target was a slightly less sparkling light in the vague blackness of space. Not distant enough for safety, though. There was an order across the channels. "All ships, pick your target!" The Commodore's voice was stern and resolute. You'd never know that a week ago he had been meeting with certain parties connected to the Triads, certain parties with a small problem of competition they wanted to go away... parties that knew he'd received orders to establish a bridge-head and had a very good suggestion as to where. With full possession and moral fiber he rose to his feet. "The Empire expects, I expect, every man to do his duty! Fire! Kill in the name of the Dragon Throne!"

The pirates died, as pirates do when caught by surprise. Some of them fought back and a couple of them fought well. Others fled. Mercenaries weighed the costs and left. There was no pursuit. Seeing that, others turned and ran. Those ships too slow to flee died with the rest. No quarter was given. They were, after all, to a man, criminals and traitors and pirates and thieves alike. Their only fate if taken alive was to be hanged anyway, so why bother with the expense and effort of capture? And, of course, there was the possibility that waiting in the nearest systems there were a few less... official imperial ships. Looking for some new merchandise. Not that that was any concern of Commodore Lee Bu! Not now that the Silver Lake had filled his bag with silver and gold.

A few more ships tried to take flight from the planet's surface, but they were shot down with ease. They fell upon the landing pads and caused immense damage and loss of lives where they fell. Damage compounded by full bore shots from the battleships' cannons. Cannons that then turned on the panicked and throbbing city below for a full five minutes, firing randomly.

"Commodore, we have degraded and destroyed the possibility of local resistance. The world is ours." Senior Captain Maik appeared as a hologram to bow. "Do you have further orders?" To commit more massacres was unstated, but implied by the judgement in his eyes.

"Land the marines. Our orders are to secure all potential sites before the arrival of the Crystal... and to ensure there are no witnesses. Steel yourself, Captain. It is brutal work we do, but remember that it is in the service of the Dragon Throne." Another bow and the hologram was gone.

Within the hour, so was Lethon's population.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates