NATION

PASSWORD

USASA (Speakers Assembly) (Sunalaya Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

USASA (Speakers Assembly) (Sunalaya Only)

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:52 pm

The Speakers Assembly

The Speakers Assembly

The Speakers Assembly - The responsibility of the Speakers Assembly is to give a voice back to the people. Whether it is generals, presidents, prime minsters, monarchs, or even the common person, all are allowed to speak before the assembly and share their views and ideas about modern and past events.

This is also the place to debate currently at vote resolutions for the General Assembly or those resolutions which are being written but not yet at vote

Other Links
The USA Lobby

Speaker Form

The speaker will be allowed to speak before the assembly, and then have ambassadors to the USA discuss what was spoken about upon completion.
Last edited by Rhodevus on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Rezua
Minister

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rezua » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Tag
My second language is Sindarin

"The best liars are those who tell the truth most of the time" - Vin Mistborn: The Final Empire

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"- Elodin The Name of the Wind

“Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing" - Dalinar Oathbringer

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:56 pm

The United Sunalayan
Assembly Official Document

Privilege to Speak Before the Assembly

Speaker's Name: Queen Diana Wolff
Speaker's Country: Rhodevus
Description: Rhodeve need to honour international people who have helped to create Rhodevus into the country it is today.

Signed,
Leonard Nom
United Sunalayan Ambassador for Rhodevus
Last edited by Rhodevus on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:31 pm

"Ladies. Gentlemen. Dignitaries and Ambassadors of Sunalaya. I am here to speak to you all today, about something that is long over due. Something so close to my heart and something that I hope to rectify today. Rhodevus over the course of its nearly 300 years of history, has gone through many changes. Many high points and low points. Parts of our history, we hoped to never need to speak about, and parts we flaunt before the world as a source of national pride.
"What is long overdue is the gratitude that Rhodevus has to give to the nations of the world. Since our creation in 1717, we changed the world with our rampant and destructive colonialism. We tore apart cultures and divided countries, killing millions in our wake. I am not proud of my nation's past. My own personal past, which can be traced back to that Imperial time. The Namachi Tribes in Corwen, or present day Oblaren, were mercilessly destroyed. Their culture wiped from the face of the globe, save for a few mixed race descendants and the texts and items that we Rhodeves took back to the motherland.
"Oblaren and Rhodevus have settled our differences in regards to the matter, by returning most of the items that were not on display in the Imperial Palace, as well as the donation of reparations by our own free will.
"Those were the low points. In Oblaren, Yaramaqui, POD, countless island countries as well as Sunafrica. But, from these low points came higher ones, created out of our destruction. The unification of POD into a single nation. Developments in science, technology, naval practices, medicine, research, agriculture, the list continues. After the inevitable fall of the Rhodeve Republic and rise of monarchy, Rhodevus has had help. Rhodevus became more friendly towards others. And we thank you for that.
"Rhodevus has many allies and friends now, even with our rocky past. We would like to right our wrongs and remember those that have helped us become what we are today.
"I would like to thank the Speaker's Assembly for allowing me to speak before you all about this. This, which I hold dear.
"To all the leaders, soldiers, scientists, doctors. Farmers, plumbers, electricians, engineers, parents, children and every person. I thank you all. Every man, woman and child all over the world. No matter your history. You all have shaped Rhodevus into a kind nation. A modern nation. I would like to honour the people of the nations that have most impacted Rhodevus.
"For the first time, Rhodevus will be granting medals of honour to citizens outside our own borders. To the people we fought beside in the Great War and were protected by in the Second World War. The the soldiers who promoted peace during the Cold War, and the ambassadors who helped to create the Social Capitalism that is used in Rhodevus to this day. I thank you all."

Diana stepped away from the podium, as the members of the assembly stood and applauded.

OOC: this is how I want the actual speech to be written. A full speech, which a short sentence or two about the applause or lack thereof.
She/Her

Factbook

United Soviet Jason Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Soviet Jason Republic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:38 pm

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Members of the Assembly and Iackstorm
Speaker's Country: (Does not apply)
Description: The USJR would like to motion for a moderated caucus on the topic of Iackstorm's intervention in Rifara. The goverment of the USJR is worried that the ongoing situation between Iackstorm and Rifara can lead to a broader conflict in the region. The USJR would like to duly note that the Iackstorm goverment has attacked Rifarian held territory in an unprovoked attack. If needed points of interest questions can be taken by the chair on the situation.

Each nation may be added to the speakers list and thus speak in order. If any nation wants to be readded to the list then they request that at any time.

Issac Leon
United Sunalayan Ambassador for the USJR
Former Vise Chairmen and Chairmen of the Libertarian Freedom Party
Jamestown Journal
"There are words I can spell. There are words I can't spell. Then there are words I don't care to spell." -Me

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Soviet Jason Republic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Issac Leon walked up to the podium, tablet in hand. Once on the podium he pased to place down his tablet and fix his tie.

"Good morning Assembly. As many of you know the situation in Rifaria is dire. The Alliance has begun an operation to end the bloodshed and help the democratic regime. The nation of Iackstorm has launched an unprovoked attack of Rifaria under the pretext of "defending themselves." This is a lie. If the goverment of Iackstorm truly desired to help the situation by stopping the rebels they would have attacked the rebels. Iackstorm has created the threat they wanted to see. Instead of dealing with the problem they created one for themselves. They have sent their armies into sovereign territory, claiming that if they were not at fault. This is bull. Any nation that has an aggressor march onto their territory would attack this warmonger. There is no justification for this war. Iackstorm has a history of disregard for talk. They left the USA. They have accepted nuclear weapons from an outside state.

The Security Council has addressed the issue in the short term. We are looking to the USA to talk with Iackstorm and all parties involved. We desire peace and we are here to prove it."
Jamestown Journal
"There are words I can spell. There are words I can't spell. Then there are words I don't care to spell." -Me

Vekalse
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vekalse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:48 pm

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Levi Shalomme Kabbui HaLemmi 'Luvit Si'iki
Speaker's Country: Vignt, Vekalse
Description: Trade across our world, and achieving unity throughout Sunalaya.

Signed,
Giovanni C.
United Sunalayan Ambassador for Vekalse.
You heard it here first. Kidding, you probably heard it from Lindenhole: I am literally insane. :P

JASONHOLT for LIFE. <3
Jasonholt Theme

WATCH UNTIL YOU CRY! xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qseH6-DV2gc

Vekalse
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vekalse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Levi stepped toward the podium, watching the vast expanse of representatives stare into his very eyes. He stood at the podium, adjusted the mic, and began to speak:

"Good day, to all. As we all know, recently, a multitude of crises have been exploding throughout Sunalaya. With shipping-lanes and trade in danger, a few changes to keep Sunalayan trade in-tact may be needed to help. I have came prepared for this, and brought a list of agreements at hand, to read aloud infront of everyone, to understand the feedback, and to progress the idea to strengthen our economies and diplomatic relations. Before I begin, I would like to say that the crises at hand have visually affected the economies of all of Sunalaya, however, thankfully, we are in a trend of economic expansion, which would easily fill the gap of the dent from the crises. Once again, this peace may not necessarily last, and all of the Sunalayan economies may be at stake. I will now read the terms of the treaty, which is titled "The Treunccio Treaty," which is named after "trade" in Veskal-Italioaan. [Veskal-Italian.]"

Levi breathes in, and slowly exhales, revealing his stress.

"Under Article One, Trade Security and Economics, a multitude of agreements and parts to the treaty are listed.

-Trade shall not be limited in times of peace, and it is encouraged that trade barriers, such as embargoes, come down around the region, and begin operating trade wise.
-All trade shall be checked for diseases and chemical weapons, as well as the following: bombs, drugs, weapons, and/or illegal items outlawed by international law.
-Under the Treunccio Treaty, all laws from the United Assembly must be applied to all member nations of this treaty. Any nation that fails to comply with international law on items such as, but not limited to: drugs, knives, militaristic weapons, humans, and/or any other item/thing that is outlawed to be traded by international law, will be immediately sanctioned and condemned by the international community.
-Under the Treunccio Treaty, international business is encouraged, to help bring the our nations closer, and to help expand our economies, develop other nations, and expand our diplomatic relations.
-During economic crisis, or during an economic decline, all members accepting the Treunccio Treaty must comply to strict Austerity and cut spending and/or loans."

"This is only part of the treaty, and I will supply copies to pass around to all representatives. I would like feedback on the treaty so far, and any changes to the treaty that are needed can/will be done if the founder approves. Thank you."
You heard it here first. Kidding, you probably heard it from Lindenhole: I am literally insane. :P

JASONHOLT for LIFE. <3
Jasonholt Theme

WATCH UNTIL YOU CRY! xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qseH6-DV2gc

Aznazia
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Aznazia » Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 pm

The Federal Republic of Aznazia is appalled by that the delegation from Stomalia is against USA Resolution #28, which aids to stop the persecution of an ethic group and that Stomalia did not even put their request for the repeal of Resolution #28 into the official USA format. Ethnic people deserve to have their land no mater how small it may be. The Federal Republic of Aznazia would like to state that a sovereign region may be a state since there is no definite size requirement of what constitutes a State. There are examples throughout history of states that are smaller than the size of cities. Also the size of a "field" is not defined and is "an open expanse of land". An "expanse is a wide and open extent" which has no defined size. In order to judge the validity of a sovereign claim by an ethic people, a more detailed report into why the Rise Plains (Plural implying multiple Plains) should gain sovereignty.

The Federal Republic of Aznazia would also like to cite news articles that clearly show that the Federation of Trevcra has sought to expand it's boarders using military force and to crush any resistance politically or militarily. It is interesting that Trevcra sent "settlers" into the Rise Plains in order to colonize the region without the permission of the people living in the region.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23423139
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23503641
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23503688
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23507636

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=273407&start=325#p23514450

The Declaration of War on the Oppressed Peoples of the Rise Plains by Trevcra also shows that the Trevcra government recognized the State of The Oppressed Peoples of the Rise Plains therefore legitimizing the sovereignty of the Rise Plains and recognizing its government body.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23671054

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=273407&start=350#p23590189

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=273407&start=375#p23767232

It should be noted that according to picture by the Trevcra media, that the presence of snow in this picture indicates that the Risen Plains is located at a high altitude where it can snow close to the equator. This disproves Trevcra's claim that the Rise Plains is merely a "field"

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23830698
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23830698
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23868245
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23907596
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p23907822

It should also be noted that the length of the annexation of the Risen Plains by Trevcra shows the complexity of the Risen Plains military structure and ability to fight an insurgency against an invading state.

As a result the Federal Republic of Aznazia votes nay in response to the call for the repeal of Resolution #28
Last edited by Aznazia on Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Federal Republic of Aznazia

My Political View: https://www.politicalcompass.org/chart?ec=4.13&soc=2.82
Pro: USA, Guns, Republic, Capitalism, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Gay Rights, Patriotism, Environment, Green Energy.
Anti: Communism, Corruption, Crony-Capitalism, Accommodation, Fascism, Religious Extremism, Neo-Progressivism.
Peace Time: 450,000 total

Breakdown by branch (peace time):
    -Army: 250,000
    -Navy: 100,000
    -Marines: 35,000
    -Air force: 65,000
Population: 98.362 Million
Current Chancellor: Fredrick Pudikov
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Dwight Folwer
Press Secretary: David Piers
Aznazian Trade Secretary: Christopher Olson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Soviet Jason Republic » Sun May 03, 2015 10:54 am

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Grimpen Mortimer
Speaker's Country: The United Soviets of the Jason Republic
Description: On the new Axis of Evil.

Signed,
Issac Leon
United Sunalayan Ambassador for the USJR

Grimpen Mortimer approached the podium with a tablet in hand. He placed the tablet on the podium and looked around the room. He then began to speak. "In the past six months we have done great things. We have helped start new humanitarian programs to aid the poor, the sick and the destitute. We have shown that the modern world is one of peace and security. However there are still nations that seek to destroy the progress made in the last fifteen years. They seek to destroy new governments based off of the will of the local inhabitants who seek their own land. They seek to instead impose their own order, their own law, for their own gain. They do this by forcing others, civilians of other ethnicity, religion, political and geological differences and brutally attacking them. They use modern weapons against foes that desire peace and tranquility. This is the new Axis of Evil. The nations of Trevcra, Stomalia and Iackstorm seek to work towards their own goals at the harm of others. Trevcra has invaded the peaceful people of Rise Plains and have not even tried to hide their objectives. Their objective is to claim land for their nation while harming the native inhabitants on it. Trevcra openly forced natives to leave their country, claims that they are being willingly assimilated while the oppressed people of Rise Plains have struggled to survive. Trevcra claims there is no goverment in Rise Plains. But how can that be said when Trevcra openly declared war on the goverment of The Oppressed Peoples of Rise Plains, recognizing the true goverment of the land while invading it. How could such a small plot of land be taken over, with great difficulty, if it was not under the control of an organizing body? The nation of Stomalia supports Trevcran efforts to suppress Rise Plains citizens and has removed itself from the Assembly. Rather than negotiating, talking and obeying international law agreed to by the Assembly, Stomalia has instead stated that it will not support sanctions placed upon Trevcra. Stomalia then left the USA, following no explanation, when it failed to get its way in the assembly. The international community does not support warmongering. Stomalia does.

The nation of Iackstorm has also left the USA, has a blatant disregard for international law and international sovereignty. It had invaded a nation in the middle of a civil war, not to aid and stop the bloodshed, but rather to carve a chunk of this nation. Iackstorm has not rejoined the Assembly after its concerns on several resolutions were addressed. It instead seeks to support warmongering.

This new Axis of Evil must be stopped. These nations have a blatant disregard for humanity, international law and cooperation. We must stop them by supporting Rise Plains, by supporting peace and by supporting cooperation.

Thank you.
Jamestown Journal

Andramedia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Andramedia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:49 am

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Talaron Kalarameva
Speaker's Country: Andramedia
Description: On combatting Tyranny in modern times, as well as why Triangularia doesn't deserve recognition

Signed,
Lanik Oloniko
United Sunalayan Ambassador for Andramedia
Last edited by Andramedia on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andramedia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Andramedia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Talaron Kalarameva started walking up toward the stage. He then walked up the steps toward the podium, with his speech papers in his hand. After looking upon them for about 5 seconds, he straightened up his posture and paused for another 5 seconds. Kalarameva then began to speak.

"We meet here in these grandiose halls here today, at a time of great strife and tension in our world. Tyranny and oppression have had, a significant hold on the world. These governments that stomp on their peoples fundamental human rights and civil rights must be stopped and halted in their tracks. Many delegates in the assembly represent some nations that are tyrannical regimes, but I will not call them or their nations out, or at least not directly while I'm speaking here today, in order to avoid a partisan screaming match. Many of us here today don't know how to stop the tyranny and oppression that is going on."

Kalarameva then paused, took a small exhale, and continued speeking.

"Andramedia was once a tyrannical state, back when it was known as the ironically named Republic of Andramedia, which as you may have guessed wasn't even truly a republic. It took decades of revolts, both peaceful ones and violent ones, to break down The so-called Republic of Andramedia. Today marks the anniversary of the official start of the Fourth Andramedian Civil War, the war in which Andramedia, with the exception of our rightfully Andramedian island known as Triangularia, was liberated from the socialist tyrannical government of the old Andramedia. Our revolution started out peaceful, with large protests in many cities across Andramedia; From Xenos to Tyranik, from Navosi to Ujha. But the government didn't take so kindly to this. They implemented martial law in many places, protestors were shot, and private property illegally seized. That is when the more violent revolution broke out. The war lasted 2 hard, long years". Kalarameva tilted his head to the left for about 3 seconds, making the large scar on his neck and right face, which he got fighting during the war "After those 2 years freedom became ours and we won that war. Sadly however, the government forces escaped to Triangularia and setup their illegal government there. But overall, tyranny was defeated and freedom suceeded. But a major reason for our victory was because of help from other nations." Kalarameva then paused for 6 seconds, and then started speaking again "What we should do as an assembly is support popular uprisings like the one that happened 3 years ago in Andramedia. If we give aid to revolutionaries who desire to tear down their governments that deny them their basic human rights, we could destroy tyranny and oppression across Sunalaya. This may sound like an impossible goal, but it can happen if we work hard enough to make it happen."

Kalarameva then looked upon his speech papers again, looked up, exhaled, and began to speak again.

"As I pointed out earlier, the oppressive government of the so-called Republic of Andramedia has re-settled on the rightfully Andramedian island of Triangularia, and has attempted to become its own nation. I sincerely ask USA member nations not, I repeat, not to recognize the tyrannical and illegitimate government that currently rules over the rightfully Andramedian island of Triangularia.
Thank you and good day to you all."

Solmakia
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Solmakia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 am

Tag

Economics Student at UC Berkeley
Asian American, Russophile
Democrat, #Hillary2016, Pro-Israel

United Layfet
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Layfet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Francisco de Amo
Speaker's Country: The Democratic Republic of Layfet
Description: an offical letter to the GA

Signed,
Francisco de Amo
United Sunalayan Ambassador for the Democratic Republic of Layfet

United Layfet
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Layfet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:14 am

AN OFFICAL LETTER TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY REGARDING GA REVOULTION #75 FROM THE OFFICE OF THE AMBASSADOR TO SUNALAYLA, DEPARTMENT OF LAYFET STATE AFFAIRS.
When regarding resolutions that poise to investigate situations within the states that inhabit the region of Sunalayla, it is important to note that the region should only do so with the upmost regard for the public in mind and should only investigate states in which their would be a threat to human rights. Any resolution designed merely to investigate a state on a "rapid shift of government" without first an analysis on how it reflect on the people is not one to be endorsed.

Kind Regards,
Ambassador Francisco de Amo

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 am

Hello, my name is Alfred Penston and I am the Head Ambassador for Rhodevus working in tandem with the Ambassadorial Staff and the Ministry of International Affairs for Rhodevus. I have come to speak with you all today about a very pressing issue that regards that United Sunalayan Assembly. This issue of utmost importance effects all branches and wings of the U.S.A. and that is international recognition and support.

For most of the international community that is a part of this organization, only the two main branches are well known and if ever, utilized for the greater good. These are, of course, the General Assembly and the Security Council. While these two sections are most definitely very important for the passage of resolutions and the overall well-being of the international community in Sunalaya, it is only a part of the U.S.A. Many different assemblies make up this organization, including the United Sunalayan Assembly: Speaker's Assembly, for which we are standing in right now. Before me I see even fewer faces than when it was first established, and even then, so few ambassadors and speakers attended. While this branch of the assembly requires very little in terms of financial need and even maintenance, there are other such assemblies which desperately need financial aid as well as international recognition and support.

The United Sunalayan Assembly's Education, Science, and Culture Promotion Organization or the USAESCPO is a majorly underfunded and probably the most unrepresented branch of this assembly, yet it may be the most important organization that is linked to the U.S.A. So far, it has only been utilized as a method for certain countries to create internationally recognized historical, cultural and environmental heritage sites. Places that should remain standing for future generations to witness for themselves. This is an extremely important thing, and one I believe more nations should use. Every nation on the planet has important landmarks. And that is what this part of the USAESCPO is here for. The documentation of these places has already seen an increase in tourism and funding to these locations, which keeps them well-preserved and protected for the future. But, this is not all the Organization is here for. One of the first resolutions past by the General Assembly was the creation of the International Qualifications School System; better known as IQ. IQ created an international school system so that those people that migrate from country to country can still send their children to school and know exactly what level they are at, because all IQ schools have the same level of education. The USAESCPO is in charge of this system as well. While all USA nations have at least one IQ school, it may be better to increase the number of schools per nation, as well as how much the USA funds these schools.

The final branch of the USA I came here to talk to you all about is the World Court. So far, there have been a grand total of 1 case brought before the court since its founding. While this can be seen as a job well done for the international community, it goes to show how much more can be done. There are criminals that span the globe. There are companies that try to make unfair bargains with countries. The World Court can be used to settle border disputes and international water disputes. It can be used for so much more than it is right now, because in all honesty, it is the least used branch of the assembly. It should be considered a part of the big three of the USA; the General Assembly, the Security Council and the World Court.

These five total branches of the assembly can see much room to grow, and I believe with a bit more funding and public awareness, it is possible to expand these sections to their fullest extent.

Thank you.
She/Her

Factbook

Arx Montem
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arx Montem » Mon May 01, 2017 8:33 am

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Noam St. Bell
Speaker's Country: Arx Montem
Description: The duality of criminal dehumanization and social rehabilitation in the military prisons of Arx Montem.

Signed,
Charles McKay
United Sunalayan Ambassador for Arx Montem
༺፨༻
I dwell on the mountain
and walk along the stream.
I know the spring fountain
is but a fleeting dream.
༺༻

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Mon May 01, 2017 2:10 pm

(You don't need to be accepted. Just write up your speech whenever you like)
She/Her

Factbook

Pergen
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Pergen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am

"Ladies and Gentlemen in the audience, people of Sunalaya, it is with a heavy and hopeful heart that I address you today. Heavy, because of the current condition of my country, hopeful in the belief that improvement is near.

I am here as a representative of the Confederation of North Pergen, an entity this august body has not heard before.

That is not shocking considering the Confederation's recent vintage. I would like to thank the Assembly for hearing me today, despite the lack of recognition my nation has received.

I am First Councilor of this humble and new Confederation, and as such I wish to explain our mission, our vision for Pergen, as well as defend ourselves against our critics.

I will start a short history of Pergen. A decade ago, it was to many, a model social democratic state. The structure of the Republic however was rotten, and a populist movement came and swept it away.

Anarchism as an idea took hold in Pergen for many reasons, so when the protests started, they were met with sympathy. The just accusations against the old republic gave them momentum. The weakness of economy sapped the opposition movement of its strength. The state collapsed. Anarchy reigned.

Peace was established, and the people embraced the new experiment for five long years. Every once and a while, someone would question the state of things, only to be beaten back by mob violence.

It was this mob violence that told me that the anarchist experiment had failed. It was a utopian dream, turned distopian reality.

As a counter movement against anarchy, our Confederation was formed. We created a safe place for controversial ideas, like private property and a police force.

To stand up to violence, we had to employ violence. We mobilized an army, just like any nation state. For that is our goal, to form a regular state to protect the rights of citizens and our environment.

At this point we are at war, and though we fired the first shots, we were not unprovoked nor unjustified. We will continue this war, until not only the North, but the whole of Pergen can be free from the menace of the mob.

We can do this alone, although it will certainly last longer, and the people will suffer more. We consider recognition our right and any offer of aid generous.

Thank you for your time."

Anton Klee

Astrumei
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrumei » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 am

The United Sunalayan

Speaker's Name: Ambassador Uonn Gishai
Speaker's Country: The Republic of Astrumei
Description: The people of Astrumei welcome a new age of prosperity and mutual benefit in dealing with the USA.

Signed,
Uonn Gishai
United Sunalayan Ambassador for the Republic of Astrumei

Ambassador Gishai didn't seem like the ambassadorial type - a portly, dark-skinned man with an almost perpetual smile poking out behind a neat moustache and round glasses, he might have been almost comical to any onlookers. Still, when he first began to speak at the podium, it became clear that this odd fellow concealed a surprisingly powerful, booming voice:

"Distinguished inhabitants of beloved Sunalaya - on behalf of the people of Astrumei, I greet you!

For many centuries, we were known by another name. That name, now a vestige of a nation lost to time, was only recently cast off to allow us to become something of our own... indeed, a nation of our own.

Astru mei means, in my native tongue, 'Home of the Astrun' - but such a name is misleading, because Astrumei is home not only to the Astrun culture, but to the whole world. Astrumeians come from near and far, high and low, rich and poor, and though not all of us may claim descent from the Serrianese of old, we are all united in our love of the home that we have built.

A home is nothing without a village to place it in, however, and we have found no greater village than the one named the United Sunalayan Assembly. We are honoured to be members of this esteemed organization, where we may teach what we know and learn what we don't, share what we have and receive what we lack, and work with the billions of Sunalayans who wish to improve the world and the conditions of everyone that lives upon it.

I stand with all Astrumeians when I wish you jiukko vastai - 'peace and prosperity.' Thank you."

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 pm

World Court Announcement

Justice of the United Sunalayan Assembly, Judge Henry Jax has issued his first public statement about multiple USA resolutions. Clearing up arguments as well as suggesting changes to past resolutions.

“Having discussed with multiple judges working alongside me in the World Court, we sat down to determine the legality of actions made by multiple nations around the world. The first resolution we looked at, was Resolution 1, written by the Ambassador from Lindenholt. The reason for this review of the oldest resolution in the USA, was to finally clear up the legality of the Ventismar Union’s tax laws in the Umbrelliet Strait, as well as the locations of future taxable areas. In a vote of 5 to 2, the VU’s taxing was deemed legal under Resolution 1 and International Law.

The main divide came from two points made in the law. The first being the point of ‘Innocent Passage’. This point states that passage is allowed in the waters of territorial, contiguous and exclusive economic, ‘which is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or the security of the coast state.’ The basis for the claim against the legality of the VU’s taxation and registration law, is whether the movement of any and all military vessels constitutes prejudicial to peace, good order or security. It was debated whether or not expeditious and quick travel satisfied this requirement or not. It was decided and voted on, that, no. Quick travel through these waters are not the only requirement of this law, as it does not confirm the security of the coastal state. Thus, the registration of military vessels passing through these waters is legal and just.

The second debated point was that of the extent of the Contiguous Zone of Umbrellya. If the Contiguous Zone of Umbrellya did not fully encompass the strait, then the taxation of ships is legal, but in a limbo-state, as ships could still legally bypass the taxes by going through the areas not a part of this taxable zone. To tax a ship not in the contiguous zone or closer to the shore, is still illegal by Resolution 1.

The matter was quickly resolved when viewing the islands which dot the center of the strait. As Umbrellya borders both sides of the strait as well as islands which close up any potential openings, the taxes are legal throughout the strait. Looking at straits between Allentyr and Capsland as well as Capsland and Lindenholt, these straits also comply with the law and should the Ventimar Union enforce Strait taxes, all would be seen as legal by the World Court.

For future taxation of straits by any USA member state, it should be made sure that taxable locations are documented.

The second topic of discussion was that of Resolution 26; Anti-Nuclear Expansion, written by Julia Hart, Ambassador from Rhodevus. This topic was brought about as to the legality of the movement of nuclea weapons onto embassy grounds. The question was raised; do embassy grounds, constitute sovereign territory of the nation which whom the embassy belongs? Further, are nuclear weapons allowed to be placed in these lands, whether or not they constitute sovereign territory.

Both questions revolve around Resolution 26 and the ambiguity of a single point made, ‘Mandating that all nuclear weapons, biological weapons and chemical weapons that are stationed in or on foreign soil be removed’. The reason this clause is ambiguous, is that the resolution states the removal of all weapons stationed. It leads to the confusion of the English language, whether or not this clause means currently stationed, or any possible time of stationing.

Discussed by the World Court, it was decided that, as this resolution is still in effect and has not been repealed, it means currently stationed. As in, this resolution forces the removal of stationed weapons as long as the resolution is in effect. With this portion of the law cleared up, it brings up the secondary point of, if an embassy constitutes sovereign soil or sovereign land. This is a major point. As embassy’s are the sovereign land of the nation with which the embassy is from. But, is this the same as sovereign soil? This had widespread effects, if the embassy-holder owns the soil for which it’s embassy is location, all land is theirs, as is already known, but so too is what is underneath. If gold, diamond or other such valuables is underneath, is it the property of the embassy-holder or that of the nation which the embassy is located? As this resolution states, all weapons in or on foreign soil must be removed, not foreign land.

Looking through the Resolutions of the General Assembly, there are no laws which make clear this distinction. So, a proposal was voted on by the World Court to determine what to suggest the General Assembly in a future resolution.
In a 4-3 vote, this is what was decided. A resolution should be drafted describing the goals and legal writes of embassies and those of which the embassy is owned by.

Particularly, the embassy is Sovereign Land of the embassy-holder. This is defined as the surface level for which the embassy is placed, including the buildings and parking within the embassy compound, as defined by the laws of each individual nation. Air space below 1000 feet is a part of this sovereign zone. Above is sovereign airspace of the nation with which the embassy is in.
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical weapons are illegal on all embassy land, as per Resolution 26, they are banned on and in all foreign soil. As Resolution 26 states, these weapons are ON foreign soil, making them illegal on all embassy zones.
This should be duplicated for consulates as well.”

Map of Taxation and Registration Location of the VU; official map received by an unnamed VU ambassador

“More discussions were held on further resolutions, but until voting has taken place on what we have decided as their legality as well as creation of our own suggestions, we will keep those to ourselves.”
She/Her

Factbook

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates