NATION

PASSWORD

The Queen Needs Therapy (IC: sign up required)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Queen Needs Therapy (IC: sign up required)

Postby New Edom » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:01 pm

The Sign up is required before joining this rp, and only a limited number of players are allowed in. Regional players from Cornellian are allowed in in other capacities, particularly Ghant who plays a member of the family, and other habitual rp partners should TG me first.

Saint Anselm Medical Research Center, Fineberg, New Edom

The applicant who had reached this stage was flown at no expense to themselves first class to Fineberg, capital of New Edom. Fineberg was a sprawling city with a greater area numbering towards three million. However it was a rather flat city, with few very tall buildings. Most of it was made up of villas, bungalows, small apartments no more than four stories high, factories, warehouses and a few taller buildings like cathedrals, large churches and some larger government buildings of palatial make, as well as a large olympic sized stadium and several smaller arenas. There was a curiously mediterranean mixed with middle eastern look to the architecture. A number of small parks as well as a very large one that also included a concert building a zoo and a bird sanctuary bordered the large river that flanked the city flowing east and north around it.

The airport was clearly new, built in recent years, a glittering construction of steel and glass. Very modern elegant lounges, cafes and shops were distributed in it. However by contrast parts of the city itself were old and run down. The people were largely olive skinned and dark haired, though among them were fairer and darker people. A substantial amount seemed to take advantage of the warm weather (roughly in the low twenties celsius) and the country's relaxed laws on public nudity. At least two in ten people seemed to wear little to nothing on the streets, though people doing hazardous work or those involved in work requiring careful hygiene were always wearing something.

A very religious country, New Edom had freedom regarding nudism for religious reasons, but frowned on too much public affection, advertisement involving actual sexual behaviour or blasphemy. Travelers could see that workers were taking down religious iconography from Christmas--from small manger scenes advertised in shop windows to the twelve foot statues fo the three wise men in procession above the grand doors of the Ministry of Culture.

At Saint Anselm's, a nicely interlocked hardwood floor, a rosewood desk, soft blue pastering on the walls and potted ferns decorated the office where the interview was to take place. The building had the quiet feel of a hospice or research library. Interviewees were welcomed by three people: a pinch faced wizened man with steel rimmed glasses wearing a grey suit, with greying dark neat short hair and a friendly manner, who introduced himself as Dr. Sindrik; a balding man with a strong face, darkly olive weathered tan, a plump belly wearing a light brown suit and sweater who introduced himself as Paul Gath, an Undersecretary with the Ministry of Health, and a woman with dark hair in a pageboy cut, at first glance youthful and ripe bodied up close clearly a remarkably healthy looking woman in her late forties, wearing a dark red sweater and long grey skirt.

Gath was clearly the chief host, and offered welcome as well as condolences for a long journey. "Such a long journey--I hope I can offer you some refreshments--some mint tea with honey perhaps? Some fizzy water with lime, or lemon, or perhaps blackberry juice? And we also of course have excellent spring water and delicious Nalayan coffee, we have a wonderful coffee maker here. And ah, lemon biscuits, cinnamon biscuits, candied fruit...please relax and enjoy. I am and I think we all are honoured that you have come this far."

Once and if refreshments were accepted, Gath said, "It must be a strange thing, to be asked to uproot so completely for the sake of a job. And you know, to focus entirely on one patient. And there is the matter of not releasing the results of treatment in any form afterwards. This is something that cannot be stressed too much."

"It is important" the woman, Nemone Jarris who was from the Ministry of Health also, "That we have foreign expertise, which is greater than ours in this area, and someone successful. It is not only the difficulty of the position, but of course there is the possibility of failure." she cocked her head. "What do you say to that?"

"Then there is the security issue," Dr. Sindrik added. "You would be under surveillance, to be honest. How do you feel about that?"

"What support staff do you believe you would need in order to perform this job?" asked Undersecretary Gath.

For Dr. Gregor Kalvatas alone "There is," Dr. Sindrik continued, "Some concern about some rumours about your practice. Yet you are very talented. You must understand, we consider you in spite of this. What would you say to us now, if you knew you were on the verge of acceptance but for this, to put our minds at rest? I urge you to be as honest as you can."

Ms. Jarris: "You said in your interview response: I have lectured extensively on a principle called "identity realignment." All human thought is essentially how one relates to experiences past and present. Discovering which experiences are the source of distress and assisting the patient in changing how they relate to these are the key to progress. How does this work in practice? How would you put it into practice?"

For Dr. Louis Crovat alone

"What do you specifically mean," said Dr. Sindrik, "By family therapy?"

For Sir Sebastian Black alone

"You are very involved in research at this stage of your life," said Ms. Jarris. "Will taking a job here make it possible for you to continue it and do the job you would be undertaking for the Ministry of Health?"

"No matter what loyalty you had to your party at home, you would be obliged to absolute confidentiality, even if political matters came up, though we would be prepared to make an affidavit to the effect that this project would in no way compromsie the security or well being of Alizeria or any Alizerian. Would you be willing to agree to this?" said Dr. Sindrik.

For Dr. Martin Weinstein alone

"Dr. Weinstein," said Dr. Sindrik. "You describe the following: Cognitive behavioral therapy, including cognitive processing therapy, prolonged exposure therapy, and stress inoculation therapy are several psychotherapy treatments which have proven successful in my experience. . Would that be the order in which you proscribed your therapy routine, which chemical alteration being a last resort as you said or would you mix these up? What would your chosen therapeutic route be based on?"

For Doctor Swiftwell alone

"Doctor, you have said that you lack multi cultural experience," said Ms. Jarris, "How do you think you will adapt to dealing with a very different cultured patient with a very religious background?"

"You have mentioned what sound like very hospital or large facility oriented professional experiences. This would be a more private type setting. Will you find it hard to fill your time or focus without a large organization surrounding you?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

"A lot of your experience has been military. Are you a reservist? Might you be unexpectedly called back to active service, or are you free to take on a position without that as a concern?" asked Undersecretary Gath.

For Dr. Brynjar zy Nannost alone

"You have mentioned here," said Dr. Sindrik, looking at this file, "That you are 'a fanatic for diet and gymnastics.Can you explain how this is part of your recommended therapy?"

"You have no opinion whatsoever on the religiosity of your patients? What do you mean? Do you mean that it has no bearing on therapeutic method whatsoever or that you merely have no religious opinions?" asked Ms. Jarris.

For Dr. Fairuza Ashtari alone

"Doctor, how do you find hypnosis a successful means of therapy to overcome trauma or PTSD?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

""Can you explain how psychodynamics plays an important role in modern therapy?" asked Ms. Jarris.

"While you say that culture is largely skin deep, do you agree that it can have a profound effect on the mind?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

For Amyris Rezanic alone

"You mentioned medicines--what is your typical approach to using medical therapy with a PTSD/depressive patient? What kinds of medication have you found effective, and under what kinds of circumstances?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

'You have mentioned guilt and shame as part of PTSD. Can you explain how you see that as causing problems for a patient?" asked Ms. Jarris.

"You say that systematic eye movement desensitization and reprocessing have shown promise in your field, but they are not definitive, doctor?" asked Ms. Jarris.
Last edited by New Edom on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

"Rumors of my alleged work have reached far and wide. But I believe even this can be of value. If you'll indulge me with a moment of your time, I would like to recount to you the story of Subject Four. The same one you can find in the publication, yes, but I think this narrative would be a bit more effective with a ... personal touch, if you will."

Dr. Kalvatas stared up at the ceiling, losing himself in the haze of what he would not clarify to be imagination or memory. He tapped his fingers on the desk and began.

"Subject Four was a fifteen year old male, who from infancy to the age of nine had experienced violent abuse by both his mother and step-father. He was relocated after this was discovered but encountered a problem in school. The abuse had left him so terribly, mentally scarred that he was prone to fights with his peers for the slightest perceived infringement on his personal space. He was unable to stand physical contact with another human being so he lashed out aggressively.

After unsuccessful talk therapy, his physician saw it fit to induce a rebirthing with a cocktail of phencyclidine, ketamine, and dextromethorphan. Subject Four was put into a dissociative state and after twenty-four minutes, he became responsive to his attending.

'I see the beginning' he said. 'The beginning of everything.' 'And where are you?' the physician asked the patient.
'I'm below it.' 'Do you feel its weight?' the physician then inquired.
'No' said Subject Four. 'It levitates from me.'

Try to decipher, if you will, the words of this altered mind. Shared consciousness, however, exists beyond the means of modern science. The physician cannot make sense of his patient's words, he must allow the patient to find his own sense.

So Subject Four said 'the Goddess is pulling me.'
'Let her then' the physician advised, while he took notice of an elevated heart rate. The patient, mind, was never in danger of a cardiac complication. But the corporeal display of fear allowed the physician to transcend the enigma of Subject Four's thoughts. You see, he was approaching a moment of great providence.

'Can she touch you?' the physician asked.
"She wants to."
Of course, she wasn't real. Which is to say, it was Subject Four who wanted a touch of something benevolent.
'Let go.' The physician said this firmly, as firm as advice can be without being a command.

To not take up any of your time, I will tell you that Subject Four declared, upon reaching sobriety, that the Goddess did embrace him. In that, he learned that he could only see before that which he feared, that which hurt him. But the blanket of the universe, the essence of what was to him divine, was now wrapped around him.

Subject Four displayed marked progress over the next few months and by the time the study was published, he had gone through an entire semester in the state school without any physical incident and had formed a healthy, sexual relationship with a female partner.

Now, if you would believe this is my work, I ask you - was good not accomplished? Did we not learn so much, and with so much more that could be learned? I take it whatever patient is in need of help here is of utmost importance. I can only ensure you that any kind of drug therapy would be a last resort, and would only take place with the patient's informed consent in a highly controlled environment. I do not expect to have to go that far.

If that doesn't put your mind at ease, my utmost discretion should. See, in Subject Four's case, it would matter not if he were a prince or a rim dog - ah, forgive the slang, that is what Pagians call the working class outside of Andryand who cannot receive authorization to live within the city limits. I digress, it mattered not who he was in life, only who he was in treatment. Subject Four is merely Subject Four, and I would afford the same anonymity to any person I treated as Subject Four's physician did, regardless of their station. I don't even have to know the patient's real name, truly."

While letting Dr. Sindrik digest that response, Dr. Kalvatas was questioned on his methodology by Ms. Jarris.

"What Subject Four experienced was identity realignment. He did not repress his memories of abuse but gained clarity and insight from them. This can be done in less damaged patients without drugs. For example, a Rorschach test could be given and the patient could be asked to find what they are afraid of in the ink blot. But then, I will focus their attention on the negative spaces. Direct them, if you will, to find the opposite. This could also be done with freewriting and anagram exercises on paper. Our resources for healing the distressed soul are boundless."
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Dr. Gregor Kalvatas

"That was him getting better?" said Undersecretary Gath, pausing in his taking of notes. Dr. Sindrik looked up sharply, Ms. Jarris did too.

"Perhaps another way to put it, Dr. Kalvatas, is this: did that have cultural significance or some previous significance to the patient, was it religious..." Dr. Sindrik gestured vaguely as though he should elaborate.

"It is hard to avoid the possibility, doctor, that the chemical cocktail given the youth was in part responsible for instigating his later response to you," pointed out Ms. Jarris. "But I am not a professional psychologist, I have merely been a student of psychology. Perhaps you could explain this further?"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Zunkwentania
Minister

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 am

"Ah, thank you- Mr. Gath, is it? The coffee was quite nice, not too bitter, with floral hints. Now yes, I do find it quite unusual that I must work under these circumstances, but I would be glad to oblige," Crovat replied in a tone of voice filled with splendor and joyousness.

Not too many patients provided all these amenities. And Crovat was all too glad to oblige. To think- what sort of patient would require all this secrecy? A CEO? A King? A controversial author? But Crovat's mind turned to darker thoughts quite soon after those marvelous fantasies ended. A terrorist? A spy? An assassin? This suddenly gripped his mind into a vortex of thoughts, bringing him to feel quite nervous. But, of course, he signed up for this. And so he told himself as he tried to compose his posture and answer the other questions.

"As for the possibility of failure, that is something I believe all psychologists have to deal with, with every single patient they take in. I, personally, think that it is not ethical to avoid a patient because of their possibility of failure just to keep a clean record. Of course, I do not mean that I can deal with any patient. There are many better psychologists in different fields and even the same field, and I feel it is my obligation to let you know when I cannot help as well as another of my colleagues," he replied, this time in a more careful, calm, manner."

This, of course, worried him even more. What sort of patient must he deal with? How? What is this failure rate? To console himself, he thought of the certain prestige associate with the job, and how this patient could be normal.

"Surveillance, you say? I would be okay with that to an extent. Would it be on the job surveillance? Because while I let my clients decide if they want to look in at their patient's sessions, I'd recommend giving the patient some privacy."

Of course, Crovat valued his privacy, but he would be willing to give it up for some time. Not the best clients, but they were well paying.

"As for support, I may want someone experienced in the art of pharmacy to help me decide if I should or what to prescribe, and I may want someone more experienced in traumatic conditions than I. Of course, what I need the most is the cooperation of the patient's family and perhaps some of their friends to successfully use family therapy. What I mean by that is having the patient and their family and close friends attend some sessions so we can learn more about the patient, potentially resolve conflicts, and help find the deficits the patient has. Family therapy can be very useful for PTSD and depression, as patients may be more willing to talk about their fears and problems, and it can help give an outside perspective as well as a chance to reconnect. Any questions?" asked the doctor, this time with much more energy.

He had finally found a challenging case that seemed enjoyable. Crovat sat down, and thought a bit more about possible options. Truly, this was an interesting case.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:52 am

Dr. Weinstein wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this job. Plush living arrangements and good pay, but mysterious terms. It wasn't unheard of for an associate of a patient to inquire, but to arrange for care without the patient's knowledge was different. Maybe the patient did know? He knew so little about who he was supposed to treat that he wasn't even sure if he was the right man for the job. He hoped he could help.

That's what it was about. Help. Not "cure."

Taking in the sights as he made his way through Fineberg in a taxi, he was struck by the city's contrasts. The new airport clashed with the older districts, and the city was low, no skyline despite its size. Nudity was not something that made Weinstein particularly squeamish, though he had little interest in partaking himself, his wife even less so. She would accompany him if he got the position. As such he procured his waiver at the airport and made his way to Saint Anselm's.

The fact that he had been contacted through a government ministry and he was meeting with government officials gave him more cause for concern, it suggested that the patient was a public figure. He had treated public figures, but did not necessarily specialize in them.

Entering the office at Saint Anselm, Weinstein had a warm, understanding manner about him. "Thank you very much, I myself am honored to have this kind of opportunity," Weinstein replied to their offer of refreshments. Taking some fizzy water and a lemon biscuit, he sipped them casually throughout the interview. "I've been across the Tartarian a few times, conferences mostly. It's not a short trip, but what better time to get some reading done?"

Once and if refreshments were accepted, Gath said, "It must be a strange thing, to be asked to uproot so completely for the sake of a job. And you know, to focus entirely on one patient. And there is the matter of not releasing the results of treatment in any form afterwards. This is something that cannot be stressed too much."

Ordinarily medical records were, without saying, confidential. The fact that this was brought up at all and the fact that it was a single patient led Weinstein to think the patient really was high-profile. It didn't occur to him that New Edom might have found psychiatrists from places where confidentiality wasn't guaranteed...or that it wasn't guaranteed in New Edom either.

"We must all leave our comfort zones sometimes," Weinstein said with a slight smile. "There's rarely a substitute for experience, and the broader my scope of knowledge in this field, the more effective I hope to be in the long run."

Pushing the daunting task of helping a public figure from his mind again, he simply focused on the question. "Patient confidentiality is essential to the treatment process. It is a personal philosophy of mine that confidentiality is vital to building the patient's trust, which is necessary to unearth the underlying causes of any mental illness. It also removes the undeserved public stigma sometimes associated with evaluation and therapy."

"It is important" the woman, Nemone Jarris who was from the Ministry of Health also, "That we have foreign expertise, which is greater than ours in this area, and someone successful. It is not only the difficulty of the position, but of course there is the possibility of failure." she cocked her head. "What do you say to that?"

The lack of expertise was part of why Weinstein had uprooted. From what he knew of psychiatric care in New Edom, it was almost entirely faith-based. Generally Edomites consulted clergy for mental health treatment, which according to everything Weinstein had read in the literature and all of his experiences with Imperial refugees, was unreliable. Sometimes simple prayer and meditation had some therapeutic benefits, but strict adherence to scripture could reinforce feelings of shame or fear, exacerbating the issue.

As they said, they needed a different approach.

"There is always the possibility of "failure," unfortunately. I won't do anything to dissuade you of that notion," Weinstein said, a little sadly. "However, it is my experience that often times one can learn from failure, sometimes more than success. Should the patient suffer a relapse or should therapy fail to have an effect, future treatment can be directed by and build upon the record established now."

"Then there is the security issue," Dr. Sindrik added. "You would be under surveillance, to be honest. How do you feel about that?"

"I have to ask what you mean by surveillance, actually," Weinstein said. "Would this be in a professional or personal setting? Who would be carrying it out?"

"As far as personal surveillance, I would simply like to know the overall intent. If it is about physical protection, then I have no objections. If it is to ensure confidentiality, then I would simply wish to be informed which communications are being monitored beforehand."

"I should clarify that I do not object to monitoring in a professional setting for the purposes of evaluation and research. Recording of sessions would be acceptable. However, the patient could very well shut down if he or she is aware of the presence of outside individuals, which would render any evaluation meaningless."

"What support staff do you believe you would need in order to perform this job?" asked Undersecretary Gath.

"Mental health specialists, psychologists mostly, depending on diagnosis or anything else that comes out in evaluation. Even if they never meet with the patient, I may require their input as consultants."

"Although they may not be strictly necessary to perform this job, it might be beneficial to at least have access to medical personnel capable of carrying out physical examinations and blood tests as well," he said, stopping short of adding something else. "Ordinarily a personal secretary would not be amiss, but as you say this job is for a single patient."

"Dr. Weinstein," said Dr. Sindrik. "You describe the following: Cognitive behavioral therapy, including cognitive processing therapy, prolonged exposure therapy, and stress inoculation therapy are several psychotherapy treatments which have proven successful in my experience. . Would that be the order in which you proscribed your therapy routine, which chemical alteration being a last resort as you said or would you mix these up? What would your chosen therapeutic route be based on?"

"Oh, I see the confusion. To clarify, no, that was not the order in which those treatments would be prescribed. I was simply listing several possible therapeutic options. Selecting a method of treatment would depend on the results of mental status examination and psychological evaluation, likely a mixture of several tests and batteries, formal and informal," Weinstein replied calmly.

"To expand on that, I believe that was my response to your question on treatment options of Post Traumatic Stress Disoder specifically. Choosing one therapeutic option or the other would depend strongly upon the diagnosis. Diagnosis clusters of PTSD we classify as re-experiencing, avoidance, negative cognitions and mood, and arousal."

If they asked him to clarify, he was prepared to explain what those diagnoses meant. "Re-experiencing covers spontaneous memories of the traumatic event, recurrent dreams related to it, flashbacks or other intense or prolonged psychological distress. Avoidance refers to distressing memories, thoughts, feelings or external reminders of the event. Negative cognitions and mood represents myriad feelings, from a persistent and distorted sense of blame of self or others, to estrangement from others or markedly diminished interest in activities, to an inability to remember key aspects of the event. Finally, arousal is marked by aggressive, reckless or self-destructive behavior, sleep disturbances, hyper-vigilance or related problems."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:36 am

Louis Crovat

"As for the possibility of failure, that is something I believe all psychologists have to deal with, with every single patient they take in. I, personally, think that it is not ethical to avoid a patient because of their possibility of failure just to keep a clean record. Of course, I do not mean that I can deal with any patient. There are many better psychologists in different fields and even the same field, and I feel it is my obligation to let you know when I cannot help as well as another of my colleagues," he replied, this time in a more careful, calm, manner."

Dr. Sindrik and Ms. Jarris both made notes, Undersecretary Gath nodded. "Well your modesty and candor is appreciated, doctor. Candidates will of course be given a serious chance at the job following an initial assessment. It is my understanding that you and the patient will have to take to one another after all."

"Surveillance, you say? I would be okay with that to an extent. Would it be on the job surveillance? Because while I let my clients decide if they want to look in at their patient's sessions, I'd recommend giving the patient some privacy."

"There would be limited on the job surveillance," said Dr. Sindrik solemnly. "More in the sense of your comings and goings. A certain degree of privacy naturally--confidentiality..."

Ms. Jarris glanced at him and said with a smile, "A balance is necessary, I think is what Dr. Sindrik means."

"Thank you Ms. Jarris. Yes. A balance. Privacy for the sessions insofar as you deem necessary. You are being considered for a position after all in which your expertise must be necessary." Dr. Sindrik explainted.

"As for support, I may want someone experienced in the art of pharmacy to help me decide if I should or what to prescribe, and I may want someone more experienced in traumatic conditions than I. Of course, what I need the most is the cooperation of the patient's family and perhaps some of their friends to successfully use family therapy. What I mean by that is having the patient and their family and close friends attend some sessions so we can learn more about the patient, potentially resolve conflicts, and help find the deficits the patient has. Family therapy can be very useful for PTSD and depression, as patients may be more willing to talk about their fears and problems, and it can help give an outside perspective as well as a chance to reconnect. Any questions?" asked the doctor, this time with much more energy.

The three people interviewing him seemed to be taking stock; Undersecretary Gath glanced at the other two. Dr. Sindrik said, "That was a very informative answer, thank you. Family involvement will be difficult in some areas."

Undersecretary Gath smiled at him. "Thank you very much, Doctor Crovat. We have others we are interviewing. We have booked rooms for you in the Majestic Hotel which I believe you will find relaxing and accomodating; we will contact you tomorrow with our decision following our review of the other candidates." He stood up and offered a bow (New Edomites rarely seemed to do handshakes). "Thank you so much for coming. Ms. Jarris, would you please see the doctor out?"

"Certain, sir," she said, rising and smilingly guiding him to the door. A driver was waiting for him outside. The driver seemed to be a middle aged soldier with two chevrons on the sleeve of a green uniform that was a double breasted jacket, shirt and tie, trousers and polished shoes along with a billed cap, with the comfortable face of a capable man aging in a relaxed way. He touched the brim of his cap as he opened the door for Dr. Crovat. The car was a chunky black Chaika with somewhat worn but comfortable cloth seats and smelled faintly of dusty cloth, polishing wax and recently cleaned wood.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:53 am

Dr. Weinstein

"Patient confidentiality is essential to the treatment process. It is a personal philosophy of mine that confidentiality is vital to building the patient's trust, which is necessary to unearth the underlying causes of any mental illness. It also removes the undeserved public stigma sometimes associated with evaluation and therapy."

"What we will need from time to time may be a general assessment," said Dr. Sindrik, nodding. "As you say confidentiality--we will need less the details than a sense from both you and the patient of what progress is being made. We understand from our studies that it can be a time consuming process, an uneven one at times."

"There is always the possibility of "failure," unfortunately. I won't do anything to dissuade you of that notion," Weinstein said, a little sadly. "However, it is my experience that often times one can learn from failure, sometimes more than success. Should the patient suffer a relapse or should therapy fail to have an effect, future treatment can be directed by and build upon the record established now."

"How would you assess success then, Dr. Weinstein?" asked Jarris.

"Weinstein--Weinstein--are you jewish, Doctor Weinstein?" asked Undersecretary Gath. "If you are, are you thoroughly familiar with the Torah, the Pentateuch, the legal and holy books?"

"Sir..." said Sindrik, glancing at him almost sternly.

"My apologies--I've been studying Hebrew," explained Gath with a blush.

"I have to ask what you mean by surveillance, actually," Weinstein said. "Would this be in a professional or personal setting? Who would be carrying it out?"

"As far as personal surveillance, I would simply like to know the overall intent. If it is about physical protection, then I have no objections. If it is to ensure confidentiality, then I would simply wish to be informed which communications are being monitored beforehand."

"It's more of a matter of security for the patient," said Dr. Sindrik. "So yes, assurance of confidentiality, and physical protection. We don't want to know what you do in the bathroom or what parts of Moby Dick you like best." The other two chuckled at this.

"I should clarify that I do not object to monitoring in a professional setting for the purposes of evaluation and research. Recording of sessions would be acceptable. However, the patient could very well shut down if he or she is aware of the presence of outside individuals, which would render any evaluation meaningless."

The three interviewers considered this. Gath said gravely, "That's a serious matter. We don't want to interfere in the success of the process. Recordings would probably be best."

"That seems consistent so far," said Dr. Sindrik. "Your point is well taken, Dr. Weinstein..."

"Mental health specialists, psychologists mostly, depending on diagnosis or anything else that comes out in evaluation. Even if they never meet with the patient, I may require their input as consultants."

"Although they may not be strictly necessary to perform this job, it might be beneficial to at least have access to medical personnel capable of carrying out physical examinations and blood tests as well," he said, stopping short of adding something else. "Ordinarily a personal secretary would not be amiss, but as you say this job is for a single patient."

"Yes...there would be access to a personal physician, nursing staff...other psychologists are being considered and of course we would be supervising generally," said Gath. "Myself not so directly perhaps, I unfortunately have many other duties, but I will be in a general supervisory role from the point of view of administration, Dr. Sindrik and Ms. Jarris in an advisory capacity on my behalf."

"Oh, I see the confusion. To clarify, no, that was not the order in which those treatments would be prescribed. I was simply listing several possible therapeutic options. Selecting a method of treatment would depend on the results of mental status examination and psychological evaluation, likely a mixture of several tests and batteries, formal and informal," Weinstein replied calmly.

"To expand on that, I believe that was my response to your question on treatment options of Post Traumatic Stress Disoder specifically. Choosing one therapeutic option or the other would depend strongly upon the diagnosis. Diagnosis clusters of PTSD we classify as re-experiencing, avoidance, negative cognitions and mood, and arousal."

If they asked him to clarify, he was prepared to explain what those diagnoses meant. "Re-experiencing covers spontaneous memories of the traumatic event, recurrent dreams related to it, flashbacks or other intense or prolonged psychological distress. Avoidance refers to distressing memories, thoughts, feelings or external reminders of the event. Negative cognitions and mood represents myriad feelings, from a persistent and distorted sense of blame of self or others, to estrangement from others or markedly diminished interest in activities, to an inability to remember key aspects of the event. Finally, arousal is marked by aggressive, reckless or self-destructive behavior, sleep disturbances, hyper-vigilance or related problems."

Ms. Jarris had looked up with alarm when he said 'arousal' but seemed relieved when he explained later.

"Hyper vigilance--you mean paranoia yes?" said Dr. Sindrik.

"Yes, I think I need a translator," said Gath, rubbing his nose, squinting at Weinstein.

"I think I understand generally. The patient's melancholia, fear and malaise generally is what I think he's referring to," said Ms. Jarris.

"Ah. Yes. Very good. Doctor Weinstein, I think that's all for now," said Gath. "Thank you so much for coming. We have a car waiting to take you to the Majestic Hotel where rooms await you. I hope you will be happy and comfortable..."

"I know I would be," said Ms. Jarris with a smile.

"Ha ha, yes, quite. Thank you, we will contact you tomorrow. We are glad to have you as our guest, we hope you will enjoy your stay," Gath said. They all offered him a bow, and Ms. Jarris led him out to where a car was waiting for him. The driver, a thin bony faced soldier wearing a green uniform with double breasted jacket, trousers, black polished shoes, a billed cap and two chevrons on his sleeve touched the brim of his cap as he opened the door of a chunky black chaika for him. The chaika had cloth seats and smelled like lemon polish inside.

"Majestic Hotel, Your Honour?" said the driver in strongly accented Latin.

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:06 pm

"I am in the business of cures, to put it simply - not the business of sustained, costly treatment. Though I'm sure with this kind of vetting process, your mystery VIP patient would have no problem affording a lifetime supply of antidepressants coated in gold, but that is far from the issue."

Dr. Kalvatas could sense their skepticism, but he didn't fly half way across the world to be turned down.
"All I will say of the spiritual is that any professional who thinks the way to recovery is undermining a person's religious convictions is wrong. Subject Four believed in the Goddess of Page's native faith. I am, for all intents and purposes, a true agnostic. There is something at work greater than us all in the universe, that much is certain to me.

I want to take your patient's perspective of God and turn it toward a state of well-being. To replace a sense of judgment with a sense of love. The more important your patient's faith is to them, the more powerful of a tool it will be in identity realignment."

Reaching into his briefcase, the doctor pulled out a black binder thick with paperwork.
"As I said, drugs of any kind are always a last resort. The first step will be for me to meet with this person and develop a professional client-therapist rapport. I will save the questionnaires, if any, for the second session at least. Nothing is more valuable to the science of human interaction than an organic conversation. This process cannot be rushed. If you will look past your skepticism, I can assure you I will be here for the long haul. My wife at home is prepared to take over my practice and the university owes me a paid sabbatical."
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Dr. Kalvatas

"A most understanding wife," observed Ms. Jarris with a faint smile.

The three whispered together amongst themseves. Gath was seen to be speaking with some emphasis though they could not be heard, and the other two nodded.

Undersecretary Gath smiled at him. "Thank you very much, Dr. Kalvatas . Your conviction and determination are very impressive. We have others we are interviewing. We have booked rooms for you in the Majestic Hotel which I believe you will find relaxing and accomodating; we will contact you tomorrow with our decision following our review of the other candidates." He stood up and offered a bow (New Edomites rarely seemed to do handshakes). "Thank you so much for coming. Ms. Jarris, would you please see the doctor out?"

"Certain, sir," she said, rising and smilingly guiding him to the door. A driver was waiting for him outside. The driver seemed to be a female soldier, stocky and strong looking with short neat dark brown hair and dark olive skin, with two chevrons on the sleeve of a green uniform that was a double breasted jacket, shirt and tie, trousers and polished shoes along with a billed cap, with a strong featured face and polite, alert attentive expression. She touched the brim of her cap as she opened the door for Dr. Crovat. The car was a chunky black Chaika with somewhat worn but comfortable cloth seats and smelled faintly of lemon and soap. "Majestic Hotel, Your Honour?" she said with a faint accent in her voice.

Chrysaor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chrysaor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:53 am

Fineburg's airport gate opened to a warm Mediterranean breeze and Dr. Ashtari decided that this would be a nice vacation after all. A nice working vacation. Summer back home began hot and would only grow hotter. Even the most native of Anam citzens could only endure its sunbaked streets for so long before sprinting off to the coolness of their own home or for the doctor, to her clinic. But her work back home had gotten dull lately which is exactly why she signed up for this job. This contract was vague and frankly foreboding, however the pay was excellent and honestly she could use an intellectual challenge right now. If not for all that, her contacts had been government officials- that meant the secret patient was a VIP and one could surely receive invaluable exposure from dealing with such individuals. Being able to work in Fineburg would be an added bonus of course. The city had certain rustic charms, the architectures and the churches reminded her of home while the weather was much more pleasant. Though Fairuza thought the naked people were...quaint, to say the least.

But the doctor was getting ahead of herself; she had not gotten the job yet. A cab was now taking her to Saint Anselm for the last interview and Fairuza was determined to do well. They stopped at a grim looking building, must be the place the woman thought. The doctor stepped out, dressed in a dove-white suit and a necklace of fine black pearls. Her hair was up, her lips painted dark and her eyes iron-grey. She was in full control of herself.

Rows of people were smoking in the shady spot next to the parking area while they waited for news. Funny places, hospitals… Ignoring their inquisitive looks, Dr. Ashtari walked past the crowd and into St. Anselm. She found her destination moments later and exchanged greetings with three important looking people. The man in charge, a shriveled looking man- Gath was his name, offered her some refreshments which she politely declined. The doctor knew that technique, you could tell a person is lying if they put too much focus on their food and drinks. She would show no such weakness here. Quickly they settled into business and questions started coming.
Gath said, "It must be a strange thing, to be asked to uproot so completely for the sake of a job. And you know, to focus entirely on one patient. And there is the matter of not releasing the results of treatment in any form afterwards. This is something that cannot be stressed too much."

“I am well aware Mr. Gath, I’ve read through the contract.” Dr. Ashtari answered with an air of confidence “And you must know patient confidentiality is something of a specialty of mine. Back home, my patients are some of Chrysaor most elites, from movie stars to scions of billionaires. In their trance, they tell me such terrible, terrible things about themselves and their family and if I did not know how to keep secret…there would have been such scandals” she smirked “More importantly, I would probably have this job no longer.”

It is always interesting to see another woman in such a male-dominated line of work. The doctor inspected the other woman carefully: she had dark hair, not very fashionable but younger than her and kept important companies. Must be resourceful then, should be mindful of her Dr. Ashtari thought.

“The soul is a fickle thing. One simply cannot foresee every single path it might” she finally answered the younger woman. “I might make no process yes, there is always a risk. But I also firmly believe that unless we involve drastic actions- say lobotomy or abuse drugs, the mind is never truly beyond repair.” Her eyes were defiant. “If I fail, and I do detest failings, I am not cowed. I will try and try again until something works.”

“That is fine” Dr. Ashtari said matter-of-factly “Unless the patient disagrees of course, though I am personally not averted to being watched. I did appear on several TV shows before if you recall” the woman joked. Though this was rather serious she realized. Who was this patient under all these of secrecy and securities? Curiosity kills the cat, the doctor had to remind herself. She would not make herself a target in a foreign land.

“The usual” the doctor said “A team of professionals I could consult with, nurses on watch in case of emergency or if I need to perform tests, also an assistant to take care of administrations.” The woman frowned a bit. “Such a shame I could not bring my own team. Talia, my secretary, is a miracle worker I have to tell you.”

"Doctor, how do you find hypnosis a successful means of therapy to overcome trauma or PTSD?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

The woman smiled satisfyingly as if she anticipated this question. “How much do you know of the unconscious mind Dr. Sindrik?” the doctor began.

“Simply put, it is vast storage space which stores our past experiences and emotions. It is this part of the mind that is the veritable source of all our internal power, it is the soul itself. And the soul is burdened with the job of protecting the conscious mind. It will do anything – even adopt negative behaviors – in order to keep you safe.” the woman patient explained. “Essentially, in the event of a trauma one often suppresses one’s emotions too tightly and pushes the mind to its limits…and the unconscious has to take over to balances itself out. However, having no conscious control of your mind will results in in strange behaviors while the stimulus itself can affect our immune system and overall health…and that is PTSD.”

Dr. Ashtari paused for a moment. She crossed and uncrossed her legs while eyeing the three figures before her. They were all listening intently. She had their attention…good. The doctor looked straight into Dr. Sindrik’s eyes before continuing.

“When these protective measures no longer serve us we feel the need to change. This change is difficult to bring about because the subconscious mind is devoted to its imprinted perceptions. Through hypnosis however, I can bypass of the conscious mind and brings the subconscious to the forefront so that changes can be made via suggestions.

In the hypnosis trance, the unconscious mind can be explored so that negative beliefs which were built up during the trauma can be explored and alleviated in the way other methods cannot. In other words, I can unlock a patient’s stored emotion so that the trauma can be revisited and explored from a different perspective. Not every trauma has to be terrible and life-ruining you see, my method can make the patient comes out stronger. Processing old traumas and the emotional charges attached to them allows a patient to find internal resources that begin the healing process themselves and steel their mind from further traumas.”

She grinned, almost finished now. “The past cannot be changed or escaped, but our emotional and intellectual attitudes toward it can be radically altered through the process of hypnotherapy.”

""Can you explain how psychodynamics plays an important role in modern therapy?" asked Ms. Jarris.

Fairuza had to laugh. "Dear, if I get a penny every time I hear that question, I wouldn't need a job anymore." She cocked her head to the side and stared at the other woman before finally answering.

"I don't know what to tell you dear. It is the oldest and most renowned of all modern therapies. Everything you and I know of psychology we know from the school of psychodynamics. We don't see people and their mind as mere machines that could be change with a zap of electricity or narcotics drugs. We see it for what it is: an organically complex construction of feelings, emotions and other incomprehensible things. Only through human interactions and diligent, systematic research of the psychodynamics methods and can we truly find the underlying elements of human nature."

"Positivist would love to call us a pseudoscience, lacking in empirical support and ill-suited for modern times." She sneered "And yet they fail to see is that psychodynamics methods actually works while the malcontents themselves flounder in their own incompetence. I'd not further argues over theories while I have the well-being of my patients as proof of my work." The doctor gracefully crossed her arms, signifying that this would be the end of the matter. "Will that do?"

"While you say that culture is largely skin deep, do you agree that it can have a profound effect on the mind?" asked Dr. Sindrik.

"Oh but of course" she raised an eyebrows. "I'm afraid I was too vague in my last answer. So yes, the effects of cultural and personal experience on one's psyche is extremely essential. It makes us who we are and it makes us all unique. The world would be terrible dull if that wasn't the case." The woman smiled again, this time genuinely. "What I meant when I say our differences is only skin deep is that essentially our brains and our unconscious mind works the same way. While the details might be different, we are all humans made from the same unconscious archetypes. It would takes unimaginable efforts to examine people so thoroughly they became all the same, of course. Yet it gives me comfort, and motivations to know that we are not all that different. It makes working in a multicultural setting that much easier."
Last edited by Chrysaor on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36 am, edited 7 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Saint Anselm's Hospital

"I am very satisfied thus far with Dr. Ashtari's responses," said Dr. Sindrik.

"As am I, " said Ms. Jarris, studying her thoughtfully.

"Thank you, Dr. Ashtari, those were very thorough and clear answers," said Undersecretary Gath."I think that I have no other questions for you at this time; your responses to the inquiry by mail followed by our interview here are most satisfactory."

He stood up and offered her a polite nod of the head. "Unless you have any other questions for us, we have others we are interviewing. We have booked rooms for you in the Majestic Hotel which I believe you will find relaxing and accomodating; we will contact you tomorrow with our decision following our review of the other candidates." He stood up and offered a bow (New Edomites rarely seemed to do handshakes). "Thank you so much for coming. Ms. Jarris, would you please see the doctor out?"

"Certain, sir," she said, rising and smilingly guiding him to the door. A driver was waiting for him outside. The driver seemed to be a female soldier, thin but wiry looking with short neat dark brown hair and dark olive skin, with two chevrons on the sleeve of a green uniform that was a double breasted jacket, shirt and tie, trousers and polished shoes along with a billed cap, with a narrow featured face and calm expression. She touched the brim of her cap as she opened the door for Dr. Crovat. The car was a chunky black Chaika with somewhat worn but comfortable cloth seats and smelled faintly of lemon and soap. "Majestic Hotel, Your Honour?" she said with a faint accent in her voice.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Saint Anselm's

Following the Ashtari interview, the three interviewers took a break and went to a room where two people were waiting. One was a strong looking old man in a black neat robe with a gold ring on one hand and a neat elegant small gold crucifix around his neck; he had most of his rather rich grey hair and a neat short grey beard, dark deep eyes and a strong nose and high cheekbones. The other was much younger, an olive darkly tanned young man perhaps in his late twenties, with neatly coiffed short black hair, wearing a navy uniform with two rows of brass and the insignia of a commander in the National Navy. He was looking through a book in the small library in the lounge when the other three came in.

"What do you think so far?" Gath asked the two of them. The young man shook his head and waved a hand.

"I barely understood one word in ten. What do you think, Father?" he asked the old man in the robes.

"Thus far--I'm impressed by how much of a range there is for this stuff, but I remain skeptical, especially with the idea of hiring foreigners, including from pagan and largely atheist countries," said the old man. "I'm not sure I like this idea--though I must emphasize again my desire to be cooperative."

"We would have your constant supervision of the...project, Father Emmaeus," said the young man. "What do you think of them though?" he asked the three.

"Sir, I think we haven't had sufficient time to review them, and so we cannot give a sufficient answer without time to--" began Gath.

"Spoken like a bureaucrat," the young man said irritably. "What about you Dr. Sindrik?" Jarris smiled and looked at Sindrik.

"In my opinion, sir, it's an experiment. we have to start somewhere," said Sindrik drily. He tapped out a rumpled package of cigarettes and tapped one out. "I am going to recommend however that confidence is key in this. We need at least one or two who are supremely competent, one or two who are less so. Kalvatas and Ashtari have that confidence in spades. The other two we talked to so far seem very similar and seem to err on the side of sympathy and compassion. Their methods also strike me as being very similar."

"I'm not entirely happy with Kalvatas," Jarris said. "I'm not sure that I actually understand his method at all. But then, I'd be lying if I said I really understood the others either. I'm actually skeptical about this, I share Father Emmaeus's concerns.Thus far I admire the work of Weinstein, Crovat and Ashtari the best. I recommend them."

"Crovat and Weinstein are too similar," said Sindrik.

"Their similarity is a blessing, I think. Kalvatas...strikes me as being too independent, too willing to experiment," Jarris said.

"In other words," the young man said grimacing as he accepted the offer of a cigarette from Sindrik, "You are not ready to make a decision." He nodded to Gath as though in surrender.

"I did warn you, sir," said Sindrik, smiling as he lit the young man's cigarette, "That it would take a bit of time to make the right choice."

"If this were a matter of surgery, and it was a heart you needed to operate on, you'd need to make a decision. When you're in the CIC of a frigate in action, you realize that," said the young man sharply; he inhaled and blew out in a sharp exhalation. "You've got a day to make a recommendation."

The three of them glanced at one another. "Is it that much of an emergency?" asked Jarris softly.

"It's not just mental health," the young man in the naval uniform said. "It's national health. The two are going hand in hand in this case."

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:47 pm

New Edom wrote:Dr. Kalvatas

"A most understanding wife," observed Ms. Jarris with a faint smile.

The three whispered together amongst themseves. Gath was seen to be speaking with some emphasis though they could not be heard, and the other two nodded.

Undersecretary Gath smiled at him. "Thank you very much, Dr. Kalvatas . Your conviction and determination are very impressive. We have others we are interviewing. We have booked rooms for you in the Majestic Hotel which I believe you will find relaxing and accomodating; we will contact you tomorrow with our decision following our review of the other candidates." He stood up and offered a bow (New Edomites rarely seemed to do handshakes). "Thank you so much for coming. Ms. Jarris, would you please see the doctor out?"

"Certain, sir," she said, rising and smilingly guiding him to the door. A driver was waiting for him outside. The driver seemed to be a female soldier, stocky and strong looking with short neat dark brown hair and dark olive skin, with two chevrons on the sleeve of a green uniform that was a double breasted jacket, shirt and tie, trousers and polished shoes along with a billed cap, with a strong featured face and polite, alert attentive expression. She touched the brim of her cap as she opened the door for Dr. Crovat. The car was a chunky black Chaika with somewhat worn but comfortable cloth seats and smelled faintly of lemon and soap. "Majestic Hotel, Your Honour?" she said with a faint accent in her voice.

"Why yes, thank you," replied Dr. Crovat as he slowly exited the car.

His slow exit was not one of coincidence, as his mind was occupied. Every step he took to the hotel was much more emphasized as well; indeed because the doctor was thinking.

Edom, eh?

Dr. Crovat wasn't one of any particular religious persuasion; while his father came from a long line of Zunkwentanian Catholic priests, he had rejected religion long before the visit. However, Edom was a very formal and religious place when compared to his own Zunkwentania, and there was a certain air to it, what with the films shown in the cinemas, and the music played on the radio, that made him feel unwelcome. That, combined with the type of questions asked in the interview, made him quite suspicious.

Surveillance? In my personal life? What sort of job could this be?

After some more thinking, it hit him, and quite hard it did indeed.

The only possibility could be something with the Edomite government.

By then, he was in his hotel room, watching a news program. Now you must understand that in a place as liberal as Zunkwentania, regimes such as the current one in Edom were shunned, mocked, and looked down upon, and Dr. Crovat truly did not want to associate with the Edomite government.

I have chosen a job. In Edom. What was I thinking? Why else would they let in a Zunkwentanian doctor?

At this point, Crovat was under extreme pressure. However, there was some reassurance: he'd be quite generously compensated, and probably left alone. Crovat decided to take a nap. As he lay in his bed, he thought even more about it. Tired enough, he fell asleep. This was a truly horrifying revelation that he must accept; perhaps sleep would give him some console.

Otulia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Otulia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Sorry for not getting on sooner, you know how it is. Unfortunately, I will only be active 3 or 4 times a week, if you need me.

Dr Swiftwell felt that he underappreciated New Edom. The first class flight was nice, but he could've easily gotten one for the same distance at under $200. The city itself was very nice, though, in his opinion, rather dirty, compared to the speck-free streets of Reko. It also surprised him that there was private gasoline automobiles; those had been banned in Otulia since the 70s. The building where he'd been brought for the interview, however, was rather clean, and the hosts seemed good enough.

"Ah, yes, hello! It wasn't too long, and I must say, the lack of turbulence was divine." Dragons had a tendency to play the acrobat when in flight, and a fixed-wing aircraft had been a pleasant change. "And of course, I don't mind some refreshments! Lemon juice is fine, why thank you, and I'll have the lemon biscuits as well. I always did like the sour fruit: Nice, fresh taste, and it's an excellent ad hoc disinfectant, right after vodka and piss." He laughed. "Yes, I'm an Army doctor, so I went through basic medic training, which includes learning that." After taking a few sips of the decent lemon juice (a bit too sour for his taste), he answered Gath's question. "It's a bit odd, yes. I don't really have a family of my own, working in with the military tends to put a curve in your life anyways." He sat up abruptly when he heard that they would be requiring him to not disclose the results of the treatment. "But that's standard protocol! I log what happens to every patient of mine. Whether they're God Himself or a wailing infant, I always release the results of treatment, to help my patients. Surely, telling the world whether this is good or bad is of no consequence to national security: If the subject is cured or the cure fails miserably, we should be required to tell the world, to save lives and prevent this situation from repeating! Surely, you have the eyes to see that any breakthrough made here applies to the rest of humanity, not just this country?"

Pausing after his rather heated tirade, Swiftwell took time to answer Jarris' question. "If we fail, we fail. While I will certainly do everything in power to succeed in treating the patient, success is never guaranteed in medicine, and you can only hope that it'll turn out for the best. If not, learn from your mistakes and move on."

He then snorted at Sindrik's question on security. "I don't really mind. I've had some surveillance when I was treating some of the higher-ranking officers, and, provided your security measures don't affect my work, I can't say anything against it."

"And, finally," Swiftwell concluded, turning to Gath again, "I probably won't need much support staff. A good pharmacist and a secretary, maybe two, should be more than enough to pursue my course of treatment."

Swiftwell nodded at Jarris' comment. "There's nothing really complicated here. I'll listen to the patient for their concerns, then correct my treatment to suit the patient's requests. While I don't believe that religion has any place in the medical practice, I can hardly do anything against a patient's will."

Now turning to Sindrik, he replied, "Yes I usually work the bigger military hospitals in and around the capital. I don't think it should be too much of a problem, my work is mostly one-on-one with patients anyways, so, unless you'd be putting us in a hospital, it'll be the same."

Directing his attention towards Gath, Swiftwell finished, "I have 30-some years of military experience with my work. However, I'm not a reservist. I'm officially a civilian contractor, and, since insanity doesn't fall a set schedule, I've got two or three years of unused absences that I can pull. Since I'm a civilian contractor, the most they can do is send me to a colonial hospital, and that won't happen until I come back, so you won't have to worry about me going off to fight the rebels anytime soon."
N/A

"If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
Basically, a medium-sized country of 81 million with dozens of different sapient beings trying to figure out how to live with each other, including dragons, ponies, humans, and changelings. Also, very liberal, laid-back, and mildly militarist in terms of foreign military intervention.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 pm

"Ah, yes, hello! It wasn't too long, and I must say, the lack of turbulence was divine." Dragons had a tendency to play the acrobat when in flight, and a fixed-wing aircraft had been a pleasant change. "And of course, I don't mind some refreshments! Lemon juice is fine, why thank you, and I'll have the lemon biscuits as well. I always did like the sour fruit: Nice, fresh taste, and it's an excellent ad hoc disinfectant, right after vodka and piss." He laughed. "Yes, I'm an Army doctor, so I went through basic medic training, which includes learning that." After taking a few sips of the decent lemon juice (a bit too sour for his taste), he answered Gath's question. "It's a bit odd, yes. I don't really have a family of my own, working in with the military tends to put a curve in your life anyways." He sat up abruptly when he heard that they would be requiring him to not disclose the results of the treatment. "But that's standard protocol! I log what happens to every patient of mine. Whether they're God Himself or a wailing infant, I always release the results of treatment, to help my patients. Surely, telling the world whether this is good or bad is of no consequence to national security: If the subject is cured or the cure fails miserably, we should be required to tell the world, to save lives and prevent this situation from repeating! Surely, you have the eyes to see that any breakthrough made here applies to the rest of humanity, not just this country?"

"You forgot the fizzy water part," said Jarris, smiling, in fact they had all gaped in surprise when he ignored the carafe of cooled sparkling water and simply poured himself a glass of fresh lemon juice. "Would you care for some? Rather than being merely sour, it produces a refreshing drink..."

"Discretion, Dr. Swiftwell, will be far more important than sharing the information. It will only be if the one can be done without endangering the other that the breakthrough you propose ought to be shared," said Dr. Sindrik.

"Yes. This cannot be disclosed. If that is a problem..." Gath raised his hands.

"Having said this, you have after all talked about your great rate of success. We are not necessarily requesting innovation from you but skills of proven value," said Jarris.
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:33 pm

(Below is addressed to the following: Dr. Kalvatas, Dr. Crovat, Dr. Weinstein)
From the Ministry of Health

To: (Name appropriate)

Congratulations on being hired by the Ministry of Health as a mental health professional under the Directorate of Mental Health.

We have included with this letter the appropriate forms for:
1. Recommendation for a temporary fellowship with the Royal College of Physicians of New Edom. This will enable you to receive publications and maintain important contacts within the medical profession here in New Edom.

2. Registration for Worker's Risk and Health Compensation from the Union of Medical Health Workers.

3. Recommendations to banks in New Edom which have automatic payment registrations.

4. Official Crisis Waiver form for travel and release from any issues with the Compulsory Nudity Act (which only comes into effect during times of emergency now)

5. Ministry of Health official registration and receiving of salary under Mental Health Commission via Director Nemone Jarris.

You are all invited to a meeting at Saint Anselm's Medical Health Center at 9AM tomorrow; please be advised that this will be an all day meeting with a lunch break which will be provided at the center, and that there will be a meeting following discussion and orientation with supervisory staff and following this with the patient.

sincerely,
Paul Gath, Undersecretary of Health

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:32 am

Saint Anselm's

Weinstein thanked the interview panel after answering any additional questions they had. Hyper-vigilance was not the same as paranoia; it was restlessness, sensitivity to the slightest shocks, startling very easily. Paranoia was a belief of persecution. It donned on him that the panel didn't seem to to have all of their definitions down...one even seemed to perk up at the word arousal. Maybe they were hiring not because they were short-staffed, but short on expertise? Then again, if that were the case, they were self-aware enough to realize their shortcomings, which implied at least some expertise.

Surveillance. Secrecy. Security. There was a hint of dismay that this was the case; apparently his work still carried enough social stigma that it couldn't be talked about loudly. Had he applied to work with a member of the Edomite government? He couldn't rule the possibility out, not with the measures being imposed on him. It was as if they were trying to avoid scandal. Perhaps it would be no great loss if he didn't get this job after all...though his curiosity was still piqued.

They had apparently sent a classic car to pick him up, not occurring to the doctor that this was in fact what the Ministry of Health had to hand, not a style choice. Bowing to Jarris, he was heading back to his hotel to make a few phone calls, including his wife.

"Majestic Hotel, Your Honour?" said the driver in strongly accented Latin.

"Yes, thank you," Weinstein replied with a nod as he ducked into the car.

The Next Day
Majestic Hotel

Despite the sigh of relief, the acceptance letter triggered a fair amount of work for Weinstein. He started with the forms over tea, then had to discuss the matter at length with his wife at home. It seemed to go all right at first, but he picked up on a crack in her voice. Uh oh.

"Honey?" he asked in a concerned tone.

They'd done this before. Whenever Judy said 'it was nothing,' Marty would typically figure it out anyway. "It's just...I didn't think you'd actually get it!"

"I know," Weinstein reminded her, ignoring what might be interpreted as an implied lack of confidence in him.

"But...New Edom? They're all over the news, what if there's a war? Or that horrible fever that hit a couple of years ago? What was it?"

"Ysbadden Valley Fever," he reminded her.

"And it doesn't even have to be something that bad. Do they have malaria there? Oh god the water..." Judy said, by now moving into full worry routine.

"Judy, it's going to be fine. People do live here after all," Weinstein tried to reassure her.

"But how long?" she asked, clearly not processing any emotions at all.

"I really can't say, likely weeks, possibly months," he said.

And then the worries came back. Of course, Weinstein shared a few of her worries, but wasn't going to let them paralyze him. He was going to accept this job, and meet this mystery patient. Perhaps it would be outside his expertise?

One other thing Weinstein did was pen a brief note in reply to Gath...

To: Paul Gath, Undersecretary of Health

Thank you for this opportunity, Undersecretary. I enjoyed our meeting yesterday and am very much looking forward to learning more about the position at orientation tomorrow. Following our conversation, I am confident that my skills and experience will be of use in the course of this treatment process, as part of a team or independently.

Sincerely,
Martin Weinstein, MD

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:57 am

"Official Crisis Waver form for travel and release from any issues with the Compulsory Nudity Act (which only comes into effect during times of emergency)" Dr. Kalvatas read - with some pauses for dramatic effect, as he spoke into his cellphone. Seated on the hotel bed, he was elated to have been given the chance to treat the unknown VIP, and had now set out to put everything in order back home.

"Is the entire country a mental institution?" Leanne, his wife half-joked. Pagians, to be sure, didn't actually frown upon nudity and didn't compose a wholly prudish culture in general. Mixed gender bath houses were a common sight in every city. But something seemed quite more extreme about this New Edom law in question, and not just because the Pagian climate was wholly too frigid for anyone to be nude in the streets.

"If it's for safety" Dr. Kalvatas reasoned, "they may still find problems with a terrorist who tucks a bomb under his distended belly."
The office saw nothing but professionalism for Dr. Kalvatas. This kind of sense of humor his colleagues would rarely glimpse at, though his university students could often experience it as a rare treat.

Leanne, speaking back in Andryand over the din of a relentless hailstorm, quipped "you should work on your own stomach while you're away. Or just find a stairmaster."
"How are the patients?" Kalvatas asked, not exactly dodging the subject of his personal fitness but not exactly not dodging it either.
"Dalton relapsed. Downed a bottle of hydrocodone with wine over the weekend."
"Hospitalized?"
"No. But very guilt-ridden."
"Tell him he needs to stop putting off visiting his brother's grave. Write him a note for a personal day from work and urge him to go immediately. Who else?"
"Nirai's parents paid me a visit, looking for you. They're quite upset, saying you told her to continue cutting herself."

Dr. Kalvatas chuckled to himself. Parents were - in his opinion - always the number one obstacle to their own children's recovery.
"What I told her is that the cutting is not the issue but her holistic mental state. I advised her to only cut her legs and use a sterilized blade if she must - which I've always advised against. Tell them their pressure on her is the source of her tendency to self-harm."
"And if they take her somewhere else?"
"They won't. Anyway, I have a conference to go to."

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:40 am

As Crovat awoke, he noticed that someone slipped a letter under his door. He climbed down from the bed and headed towards the door. Crovat opened the envelope and started to read.

Congratulations on being hired by the Ministry of Health as a mental health professional under the Directorate of Mental Health.

Indeed the doctor's fears were confirmed. Not much scared Crovat, but indeed this did. He decided to not let his mind remain on that part, and moved on, with a considerable sense of fright.

We have included with this letter the appropriate forms for:
1. Recommendation for a temporary fellowship with the Royal College of Physicians of New Edom. This will enable you to receive publications and maintain important contacts within the medical profession here in New Edom.

Ah, even more connections... at least this will help me somewhat.

2. Registration for Worker's Risk and Health Compensation from the Union of Medical Health Workers.

The only worker's risk I've got is having to be constantly watched by the Edomite government.

3. Recommendations to banks in New Edom which have automatic payment registrations.

Recommendations? For a bank? What is this, a second job?

4. Official Crisis Waiver form for travel and release from any issues with the Compulsory Nudity Act (which only comes into effect during times of emergency now)

Nudity? Compulsory?

While it was a common sight to see nude people walking in the streets of Zunkwentania, it was never compulsory. Crovat's distaste for the Edomite government grew stronger as he read the letter.

5. Ministry of Health official registration and receiving of salary under Mental Health Commission via Director Nemone Jarris.

As promised.

You are all invited to a meeting at Saint Anselm's Medical Health Center at 9AM tomorrow; please be advised that this will be an all day meeting with a lunch break which will be provided at the center, and that there will be a meeting following discussion and orientation with supervisory staff and following this with the patient.

Luckily for him, Crovat had woke up at 6:30AM. He had breakfast, read the news, and took a stroll through Fineberg. All the while, the difference was striking; but he adjusted to it soon enough. All but that lingering thought...
Last edited by Zunkwentania on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Saint Anselm's

The three doctors were roughly at the same time brought by their government appointed chaikas to the meeting, and were ushered into the same room, but found more chairs and more people arriving at the same time. In addition to the three officials they had already met, there was a grey bearded man in black robes as well as a young man in a naval uniform.

"Thank you for coming," said Gath to each of the doctors in turn. "I hope you had a pleasant evening and good night's rest. Very glad that you were among those hired."

"Prince Enoch, Father Emmaeus, these are Dr.Kalvatas, Dr. Weinstein, and Dr. Crovat. We feel that they will be best for the job at hand," said Gath with a smile. "They are among the top of their profession in the world. We hope that they will be able to solve our difficulty to the best of their ability, in cooperation."

The young man nodded to them. His dark eyes stared at them, as though he was sizing them up. He was tall and athletic, moved with deliberate gestures, and it was noted that the three officials, Gath, Sindrik and Jarris only sat down after he did. "I am Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain, Royal Master of Offices. I am the Queen's cousin by marriage, and my duty is to run the royal household and act as the key liaison to the national government. This gentleman is Father Emmaeus, the Royal Physician. You have been hired, with as much discretion as was deemed possible, to assess and help Queen Mara with what are believed to be psychological issues." He paused, waiting for any reaction, and continued. "The purpose of this meeting is to determine a plan for dealing with. this. While you will be in contact with Father Emmaeus and have the advice of the three who have graciously acted as our guides in determining the right people, it is ultimatley hoped that your objective approach will be the most helpful." Taking a deep breath, he seemed to gather strength before saying, "The Queen is subject to an enormous melancholy but not always--it is also that she suffers from terrible nightmares and terrors that seem entirely real to her when experiencing them, to the point where she only sleeps when--to be blunt, either intoxicated or exhausted. She is reluctant to see anyone or speak to anyone. Her faith and family..." he swallowed and looked away a moment. "Her faith, family and friends provide her with no comfort. She is reluctant to see her husband, the King Consort Michael, to whom she has been married only a short time. I am among the few of her extended family she will see, and I have been unable to help her.

"This is the reason for the security concerns and the concerns about publishing any information. It could on many levels be damaging if there is lack of consideration for the safety of the Queen's person and reputation." he paused and looked at each of them. "Before I continue, I would like to know if there are any questions or concerns from any of you so far."

Zunkwentania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Zunkwentania » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Well, aren't I screwed? thought Crovat solemnly.

He had been excited at first, but this might have been too much for the doctor. The Queen of Edom was his patient. With all the problems Mara had to face as queen, the job would be much harder. The bluntness of the revelation had clearly hit him hard, but he took it quite well, one must say.

I am a professional. I do not care about this at all. I will treat the patient as best as I can, repeated Crovat in his head, almost like a mantra.

Finally, Crovat replied.

"Ah, yes, I do have a question. This marriage- is it arranged? For if it is, that may be causing some problems."

Crovat also wasn't very accepting of the concept of arranged marriage. In his experience with some patients, they could add some problems. Still, PTSD... Perhaps her position has caused her some trauma? Edom, after all, had recently had some troubles. Yet, he felt there was another force... But certainly the others could assist.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Saint Anselm's

The ride to Saint Anselm's was brief and uneventful, until a practical motorcade of identical chaikas arrived at the hospital. Two others emerged from the cars. One was a man with what was to Adiran eyes a curiously anachronistic hat; he couldn't place his age. The other had a wild appearance, with a long unkempt beard and a thick mat of dark hair. As they arrived at the same exact time the three appeared to walk largely in lockstep with several guards towards the meeting, Weinstein assumed these were his colleagues. Eventually they reached an elevator, at which point he turned to face Crovat and Kalvatas in turn.

"You must be the others they selected. I'm Martin Weinstein, nice to meet you," he said with a small smile and extending a handshake, "it looks like we'll be working together." He extended a handshake to each of them as they rode the elevator. Weinstein was wearing a grey business suit, carrying a briefcase.

Weinstein noticed that Enoch seemed to carry himself with some sense of authority before he introduced himself. Weinstein addressed Father Emmaeus with a bow as he was introduced, then focused on Enoch. A weight seemed to hang over him as he spoke, apparently heavy with concern and worry. He revealed why more or less straight away.

'The Queen?' Weinstein thought. He had suspected it was a public figure, someone whose career might hinge on keeping this therapy out of the spotlight. A governor, a civil servant, certainly. Maybe a Cabinet Minister or member of the Royal Court, at the most. Straight to the top, though? It hadn't even crossed his mind. Even when he briefly considered the possibility, he'd rationalized that surely the royal family would have the resources to have their own psychological specialists. Apparently, however, they did not, and Prince Enoch seemed gravely worried about the Queen's state.

Briefly he tried to recall the Queen's appearances in the media. The royal wedding was the farthest back he remembered, he made a mental note to check back earlier. Then he vaguely remembered something very recent, a page ten blurb about Queen Mara going abroad. He hadn't actually read the article though, another thing he'd have to check back on. It was very recent to his memory though...and the Queen was actually in no shape to travel, which meant the trip was a ruse.

With no time to ruminate on half-remembered news articles, Weinstein cleared his throat and spoke up. "I hope we can all help the Queen as best as we are able, Your Highness. I have two questions off the top of my head. First, did Her Majesty request treatment? If she didn't, was she aware that her family was going to procure treatment for her?"

"Second...is about the Queen's personal history. I wonder if it would be possible to speak to her immediate family on certain matters, as input from friends and family could be helpful to the evaluation process. You seem close with the Queen, Your Highness, would it be possible to speak with you about the Queen? Anything you have to say would be held in confidence, and involving fewer people could presumably keep these matters close to the chest."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Saint Anselm's

Finally, Crovat replied.

"Ah, yes, I do have a question. This marriage- is it arranged? For if it is, that may be causing some problems."

"It was an arranged marriage," said Prince Enoch. "But I do not see the concern--arrangements were made with the Queen's consent; she agreed with her husband above other possible choices."

"Yes, it was after she was Queen," said Father Emmaeus, leaning forward, clasping his large strong hands, "I think the concern might be, 'was she forced' but it was not force. However it is not a marriage as some lands do, where there was passion and attraction first. Not on her part anyway."

With no time to ruminate on half-remembered news articles, Weinstein cleared his throat and spoke up. "I hope we can all help the Queen as best as we are able, Your Highness. I have two questions off the top of my head. First, did Her Majesty request treatment? If she didn't, was she aware that her family was going to procure treatment for her?"

"Yes, it was an option offered to her--naturally..." Enoch took a very deep breath, and exhaled. "Naturally if it be her will she must be left alone. Doctor Weinstein, she is not naturally as she is now, a most vivacious and happy young woman, full of life and curiousity, the most..." he bit his lip, and then became serious, his eyes hardening. "Yes. She chose this."

"Second...is about the Queen's personal history. I wonder if it would be possible to speak to her immediate family on certain matters, as input from friends and family could be helpful to the evaluation process. You seem close with the Queen, Your Highness, would it be possible to speak with you about the Queen? Anything you have to say would be held in confidence, and involving fewer people could presumably keep these matters close to the chest."

"That is a very good idea, and one which I have recommended," said Father Emmaeus. "I have been physician and one of the spiritual guides of the Royal Family for years; i and Prince Enoch can promise you we will do our best to ensure cooperation."

"What does this sort of thing entail though?" said Prince Enoch, frowning. "There are people in the extended family who will not take kindly to being analyzed, is that what you're talking about? And there's a matte rof some who are not readily accessible due to foreign service for instance..."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 am

Saint Anselm's

Weinstein could tell Enoch was deeply troubled by his cousin's sudden onset of mental illness. That was normal. Watching a loved one's psychological troubles unfold could be a profoundly disturbing experience, especially when they felt powerless to help. One of Weinstein's patients back in Adiron had actually been a therapist, who was so deeply affected by his own patients that it drove him to a deep depression. It struck him that the Prince seemed to hold genuine affection for the Queen. It was fortunate that they found someone like that right away. It was occurring to Weinstein that there could very well be politics at work within the Royal Family. Not all of them might have the Queen's best interests at heart.

"I understand, Your Highness. It is hard to watch someone you care about in pain like this," replied as Enoch struggled to find the words--was he fighting back tears? "If it helps, we should take it as a good sign then that the Queen is pursuing treatment, that she acknowledges something isn't right. Denial can be a major hurdle for some."

"Forgive me, I might have been unclear. I didn't mean for the Royal Family to be evaluated themselves," Weinstein said, clearing his throat. "For the moment, I think it would be helpful to go over some of the Queen's personal history with some of those closest to her. Significant events, relationships, and her response to them. We will of course explore these areas in the course of the Queen's own evaluation, but input from friends and loved ones could help to guide our questions. And I would ask that nothing be sugarcoated. Something out of the public eye could very well be a factor. Anything said will be treated with the same confidentiality we'd extend to a patient."

"If you'll forgive me for making an observation, Your Highness, you seem greatly concerned with the Queen's health. You are her cousin, and you mentioned that you are one of the few people she talks to in her condition--she trusts you. Frankly, that means you would be one of the people I would want to speak to on this matter. In private, of course. Would you be open to that?"

"I would ask the same of you, Father, with an addition: I would like to review the Queen's medical history. Your input as the Royal physician will be greatly valued."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Page
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:12 am

Dr. Kalvatas was glad to let his new colleagues get their questions out of the way first; it allowed him to have an idea of who he would be working with.

"I'm sure Her Highness' marriage can be looked at in due time. Clearly though her problems predate the marriage and whether its arranged or not has little bearing; only the current state of affairs between her and her husband matter now."

He stepped forward, stroking his beard as he pondered the situation.
"Her Highness cannot sleep unless intoxicated. Are you referring to alcohol or something else? Does she consume tobacco? Many under my care have underestimated the impact of nicotine near bedtime on fueling nightmares."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates