NATION

PASSWORD

IESP RP Discussion/OOC [IESP only] [Moving to new thread]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Nerotysia wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:True. Jail could be an interesting development, especially with exchange students.

I'm sure my students won't be involved in that...it's not like I'm ranked in the top 10% of the world for most rebellious teens or anything...

How would illegal activity be handled, in all seriousness? The students are supposed to be treated as citizens, but they're also supposed to be protected. And nations might not like their kids being jailed by other nations.

Well, as citizens, the students would be subject to any laws of the nation they are in. But, they are also not real citizens of the nation. For diciplinary measures, the student would probably be shipped home, and them deal with the concequences as if he/she had committed the offense in his/her home nation.

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:44 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:
Nerotysia wrote:I'm sure my students won't be involved in that...it's not like I'm ranked in the top 10% of the world for most rebellious teens or anything...

How would illegal activity be handled, in all seriousness? The students are supposed to be treated as citizens, but they're also supposed to be protected. And nations might not like their kids being jailed by other nations.

Well, as citizens, the students would be subject to any laws of the nation they are in. But, they are also not real citizens of the nation. For diciplinary measures, the student would probably be shipped home, and them deal with the concequences as if he/she had committed the offense in his/her home nation.

But certain activities that are illegal in the host nation may not be illegal in the student's homeland.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Nerotysia wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Well, as citizens, the students would be subject to any laws of the nation they are in. But, they are also not real citizens of the nation. For diciplinary measures, the student would probably be shipped home, and them deal with the concequences as if he/she had committed the offense in his/her home nation.

But certain activities that are illegal in the host nation may not be illegal in the student's homeland.

True. Only time will tell. . . .

New poll up, folks. Vote for the tech level of the RP, please!

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:06 pm

So, how do you guys imagine the cultural showcase would work?

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Nerotysia wrote:So, how do you guys imagine the cultural showcase would work?

"I sense a vote coming on. . . Heh heh heh."

Serious: I'm not quite sure. Possibly a presentation of culture, etc.

I will likely not be on tomorrow, as it is my first day of school. Have a good discussion while I am gone!

Western European Republic
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western European Republic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:11 pm

I'd like to be a host nation.
Code: Select all
NEWS: Sec. of Education Tremonti to found International Education Initiative...President Försterling announces plans to "monitor the situation...[and] keep all options on the table" in conflict between Russia and British Crimea

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Western European Republic wrote:I'd like to be a host nation.

This thread is intended for IESP members only. If you wish to sign up, please do so in the main thread that is linked in the OP of this discussion. Thanks for your interest anyhow, West European Repub.!

EDIT: Link: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=304628
Last edited by The Nation of Ceneria on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Nerotysia wrote:So, how do you guys imagine the cultural showcase would work?

"I sense a vote coming on. . . Heh heh heh."

I will likely not be on tomorrow, as it is my first day of school. Have a good discussion while I am gone!

How would it happen, though? Like, physically. Concretely. Would our students make power points or something?

It might be fun (ie. deliciously awkward) to have our students just mill around in some conference hall when they're supposed to be sharing culture and whatnot.

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Nerotysia wrote:
The Nation of Ceneria wrote:"I sense a vote coming on. . . Heh heh heh."

How would it happen, though? Like, physically. Concretely. Would our students make power points or something?

It might be fun (ie. deliciously awkward) to have our students just mill around in some conference hall when they're supposed to be sharing culture and whatnot.

Yeah. I was thinking a big presentation board and a paper, the whole kit and kabang. Or milling around in a conference hall. . .

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Going to sleep now. Sorry to leave you hanging there.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Nerotysia wrote:How would it happen, though? Like, physically. Concretely. Would our students make power points or something?

Yeah. I was thinking a big presentation board and a paper, the whole kit and kabang. Or milling around in a conference hall. . .

Hrm...it could work, the presentation thing. We could do both, a presentation and then a "social time" in a conference hall.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:20 pm

The Nation of Ceneria wrote:Going to sleep now. Sorry to leave you hanging there.

Das fine. Adieu!

Santa Agua
Envoy

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Agua » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 am

In regards to students and laws, the requirements state only that: Applying nations agree to treat exchange students as citizens for the duration of their stay. Applying nations must agree to not mistreat or threaten exchange students in any way.

As long as you don't have forced labor camps, prison or police station cells are not mistreating nor threatening. While I can imagine that students might be given a warning for something that's just 'kids being kids' or for something that's only illegal in the host nation (think of smoking being illegal, for example), the requirements state nowhere that students should be treated as nothing more than regular citizens, with all rights and responsibilities included in that.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:03 am

Santa Agua wrote:In regards to students and laws, the requirements state only that: Applying nations agree to treat exchange students as citizens for the duration of their stay. Applying nations must agree to not mistreat or threaten exchange students in any way.

As long as you don't have forced labor camps, prison or police station cells are not mistreating nor threatening. While I can imagine that students might be given a warning for something that's just 'kids being kids' or for something that's only illegal in the host nation (think of smoking being illegal, for example), the requirements state nowhere that students should be treated as nothing more than regular citizens, with all rights and responsibilities included in that.

I don't want foreign exchange students voting in our elections, running for office, joining the military of Ministry of State Security, being granted Ardokian passports, etc.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 am

Santa Agua wrote:In regards to students and laws, the requirements state only that: Applying nations agree to treat exchange students as citizens for the duration of their stay. Applying nations must agree to not mistreat or threaten exchange students in any way.

Indeed, but I can imagine some problems arising if, say, a student is warned or punished for something that is not illegal in their homeland.

Santa Agua
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Agua » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:09 am

Ardoki wrote:

I don't want foreign exchange students voting in our elections, running for office, joining the military of Ministry of State Security, being granted Ardokian passports, etc.

That's obviously different from applying the law on the students. Seeing as they'd probably be high schoolers, most of these things wouldn't be possible due to their age either way. Other than that, the fact is that they wouldn't have social security numbers or the thing closest to that in your nation so they won't be able to get a passport anyway.

Santa Agua
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Agua » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 am

Nerotysia wrote:

Indeed, but I can imagine some problems arising if, say, a student is warned or punished for something that is not illegal in their homeland.

As they are staying in a different nation, it wouldn't give problems. Tourists can get arrested/warned/punished for things that aren't illegal in their home nation as well.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:13 am

Santa Agua wrote:
Nerotysia wrote:Indeed, but I can imagine some problems arising if, say, a student is warned or punished for something that is not illegal in their homeland.

As they are staying in a different nation, it wouldn't give problems. Tourists can get arrested/warned/punished for things that aren't illegal in their home nation as well.

Indeed, but the home nation may not like that and they could claim the host is failing to protect their students as required.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 am

Santa Agua wrote:
Ardoki wrote:I don't want foreign exchange students voting in our elections, running for office, joining the military of Ministry of State Security, being granted Ardokian passports, etc.

That's obviously different from applying the law on the students. Seeing as they'd probably be high schoolers, most of these things wouldn't be possible due to their age either way. Other than that, the fact is that they wouldn't have social security numbers or the thing closest to that in your nation so they won't be able to get a passport anyway.

In most countries, citizenship cannot just be taken away without a very good reason.

Santa Agua
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Agua » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:19 am

Nerotysia wrote:
Santa Agua wrote:

Indeed, but the home nation may not like that and they could claim the host is failing to protect their students as required.

True, they could. But generally speaking, they won't unless they are in the right and have various others that feel the same. You can never pull away the risk that accusations are made.

Santa Agua
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Agua » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:21 am

Ardoki wrote:
Santa Agua wrote:

In most countries, citizenship cannot just be taken away without a very good reason.

I don't think you get it. No one is granted citizenship, they are merely seen by the law as a citizen. A tourist isn't a citizen but still receives the same protection from and by the law as a citizen, for example.
Last edited by Santa Agua on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 am

Santa Agua wrote:
Ardoki wrote:In most countries, citizenship cannot just be taken away without a very good reason.

I don't think you get it. No one is granted citizenship, they are merely seen by the law as a citizen. A tourist isn't a citizen but still receives the same protection from and by the law as a citizen, for example.

Tourists are not treated as citizens?

The Victorian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Victorian Empire » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 am

Yeah, you guys better vote Modern Tech since that's the only tech I RP in. :p

While we're on the topic of laws, I'd just like to say that Victoria's laws are pretty much the same as the US. Only with slight differences with marijuana, guns, same-sex marriages, and couple other stuff.
Last edited by The Victorian Empire on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud American of German, Scotch-Irish, & Italian descent!

The Democratic Republic of the Victorian Empire is the formal name of the country, please refer to it as Victoria informally. The demonym is Victorian.

IATA Member - How do vaccines cause Autism? - Proud member of the International Exchange Student Program!

United Regions of Verona
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Regions of Verona » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:02 pm

When we vote for the host, if you vote for me, I can assure you both the school and teachers will be quite... Interesting *makes that shifty look at the ground grinning* Some creepy teachers, some bubbly teachers... And it's not going to be a small school, I can assure you it will be a big, strange school with more to do then learn.... Heh heh heh...
I iz a proud and sexi member of d Exchange of Sad Annoying Pathetic Students
My TG box is lonely, why not send me a TG?
Kourtney is the best Kardashian!
''The only sane people on this planet is me, Alfy, Hake & Theo James,'' - Myself
#yafran

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:25 pm

United Regions of Verona wrote:When we vote for the host, if you vote for me, I can assure you both the school and teachers will be quite... Interesting *makes that shifty look at the ground grinning* Some creepy teachers, some bubbly teachers... And it's not going to be a small school, I can assure you it will be a big, strange school with more to do then learn.... Heh heh heh...

Should be worried about your sanity?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates