NATION

PASSWORD

A Summer Rite (Open Party RP)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kajal
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kajal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Lirella had taken a few moments to get a feel on the personalities and mental states of the group while thinking of what to say next, but found herself nodding and discerning the previous topics of conversation. Having just introduced herself in the midst of a pause in conversation left her slightly out of the loop in that regard.

That said, after Ipolla's comment regarding the whiskey, she was intrigued enough to sample a minute serving of it, after which she opted for something sweeter.

"Quite right about the peach whiskey. I can't say that it is to my taste, though I'm told it's something of an acquired one nonetheless."

Lirella half smiled as the good doctors message was received at the same time. A brief thought, and that might actually serve as a conversation starter? No, that would likely be far too rude to mention at this time, given current company. Better to keep that thought unvoiced, at least physically.

//I do appreciate a good show, it's true. For a moment it almost felt as if I had stepped into the Duma's arboretum. It's only a small shame that place is so boring these days.

At the same time as continuing the mental discussion with 'Doctor al-Fulaniyya', Lirella tried to think of other topics of conversation for those around her.

It was somewhat unfortunate, then, that she found herself without any idea of what to say. At the same time, one of the clasps of her dress silently failed, exposing slightly more skin than might have been decent, though there was no real compromise of modesty. Lirella's bust was simply somewhat more unrestricted.

When the clasp hit the ground with a ting, Lirella glanced down, almost directly into her cleavage.

"Oh, hell."
"Wait, what?"
Member Nation, Second Triumvirate of Yut, VERITAS, Martian Forum.
Historical Member, First Triumvirate of Yut, Martian Defense Initiative, Martian Port Authority

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 pm

At the Bar...

Demi took a sip and immediately put it down. "No," she managed a smile that fought a valiant battle with the look of distress in her eyes before losing and vanishing from her lips in a flurry of discarded banners and hastily thrown aside armor, "That's... an acquired taste. To put it politely."

Peaches it was, and while the Grand Secretary went about his own discussions, she looked over the gathering for someone else to make polite talk with. There were, of course, her confederates in the Triumvirate but there was something about the three that suggested scheming was afoot. While this wasn't a bad thing - when the Triumvirate schemed it might as well slap a Tau logo on its forehead and use 'For the Greater Good' like a fucking apostrophe - it was scheming and it was best not to interrupt such things. That and Ipolla was there.

'Best not to tempt fate on that front,' Demi decided before looking elsewhere.

There were the kids but again, she didn't have any and didn't want any either. Well, perhaps it was back to the Grand Secretary who was still busy. Well, maybe someone else wanted to talk. So she turned around, crossed her legs, and just watched the people go by with an empty drink in her hand.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Andacantra
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Katenia Delatica slowly moved her way through the attendees, attempting to make her way to the bar. As ambassador, she had of course done her research into the customs of the Roanian people, but it still made her nervous being in territory so unfamiliar to her. She’d been doing her best to lie low up until this point, staying discreet and just remaining the quiet observer. The bar, however, seemed like an increasingly more appropriate place for her to be, so slowly and carefully, she picked her way through the crowds.

Katenia debated the options, now she’d actually got here, thinking to herself that while she doesn’t want the loss of control that drinking alcohol brings, it would be rude not to try, right? She slowly made her way to the bar, settled on some peach whiskey, and worked her way back a little bit to give it a try.
Abbey
Chief Kitty of the Cat Burglars
Bi-gameplayers: Raiding and defending because both are fun and ok
Nationstates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Andacantra...

With no idea who the woman next to her was, and no idea where she was from, Demi looked her up and down quickly before starting with the simple;

"Hello," she caught the woman's eye, "I'm Demi," and a slender hand went out for a shake.

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scolopendra » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:32 pm

"All tastes can be acquired," Ipolla said wryly in response to Lirella. "Some just aren't worth getting a taste for." Out of the corner of her eye she tracked the Andacantran sneak up to the bar, acquire the self-same drink, then fade away. Depending on how that went, well, the Supreme Emperor could introduce herself and offer some of this peachy summer thing. It was quite good, actually--

--and that was when Lirella's dress suffered a minor containment failure. Mballa glanced over, caught a glimpse, and, in a part of her mind tucked away near the hindbrain, appreciated. "Look at it this way," she offered with a slight smirk, "you're still not showing off as much as, say, Silaco normally does." Stupid sexy Silaco. "Actually, I think you can pull it off."

A few moments passed until she realized that could be construed to have a double meaning. She decided to retain her look of wry humor to bluff her way through it.

Meanwhile, silently, to her 'aide:' -Hey, Shoddy--is loverboy over there going to be okay, or is this one of your pranks?- The tone was more concerned and sympathetic than her choice of words.
Last edited by Scolopendra on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Sunset

Katenia did her best to hide her wariness and surprise at having actually been approached by one of the other attendees.

"Hello," she responds. "I'm Katenia, an Andacantran Ambassador." Katenia thinks through what she should do next. Every movement feels like the most important diplomatic step in her career. Her subconscious helpfully pipes up that perhaps she should take Demi up on her offer of a handshake.

Katenia carefully, but firmly, shakes Demi's hand. "I've been keeping to myself for most of this event thus far, due to a lack of familiarity with most of the attending nations. I guess I should give this whiskey a try though, enh?" She takes a tentative sip and remarks "Oh, I quite like that, actually. Have you given it a try at all?"
Abbey

Royal Imperious
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Royal Imperious » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Oliver apologized for the rude interruption and shut his phone off. Then replied to Naiya. "Imperious is on Earth, actually, it's in the former United Kingdom, expanding over 3 former countries. England, Wales, and Scotland. The actual UK fell long ago, and we've since adopted it's ideologies, dialect, and culture." Oliver sipped his ale. "I hadn't even known I was royalty a while back. I used to be in a punk band!" Oliver laughed sightly and smiled. "You should visit sometime." He said. "We have excellent scenery, an amazing environment, a wonderful government, and plenty of things to see and do!" Oliver smiled "What about your nation Naiya?" He asked.
~The Grand Republic of Royal Imperious~

"Yutemiyo v'ien amei shaboor. Ye'mea tu'ur qurea." "Someday someone will remember you not for how you looked. But for what you did."~Prophet Ala'mahar Aldeean

Forever Live Imperious!

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Andacantra...

Holding up her empty glass, Demi shook it meaningfully with a bit of a smile before setting it down on the bar. Moments later it was replaced by another; It was unlikely the Andacantran Ambassador was about to buy her a drink.

"It's excellent, exactly what one would expect from such a lovely orchard," she agreed. "Demi Love, Ambassador from the Republic of Sunset. I can't say I've heard of Andacantra; Where about is it located?"

Leaning forward, large brown eyes all interest, she listened intently while taking a gauge of the woman's clothing and style of dress to get something of a feel for either her culture and civilization or, failing that, her personality and temperament.
Last edited by Sunset on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:27 am

Naiya

“I’m familiar with the concept of ‘what was and what is’, yes,” Naiya offered thoughtfully. “Amongst my compatriots, we’ve taken to referring to it as the Break – or stating that reality is broken. It’s the only somewhat rational non-brain-sliding way to explain how various nations share, but do not share, common grounds and similar histories that don’t coincide. Never mind the absolutely horrible tangle of geographical issues. We try not to think too hard about it. After all, one of our closest allies shares in part some of our demographics.”

“We consider ourselves a sister-state to what many refer to as Italy,” she continued easily, smiling as she spoke. “We share the same language, and have always deferred to Rome in matters of the Church, for example. But we’ve had the good fortune to expand beyond our original holdings as well. You’ve never seen the Rings of Saturn ‘til you’ve seen them from the observation decks of Machiavelli Station. It would seem we both have experiences we could share between our peoples.”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Mancuso

> Gods above and below, you are a terrible cheat!

And that was that for the easy-going man. He burst out in a full, rich laugh, pausing to wipe tears of mirth from the corner of one eye once he began to gain his composure again - though at least he didn't spill what was left of his drink in the process.

> I’ll get you for that, my pretty. I’m not quite sure how at the moment, but as they say – there is a reason Vendetta is an Italian word. Perhaps I could manage to stamp a flag with my likeness on it on the backside of every avatar you’ve currently got running. In bright neon cerulean … claimed in the name of Fabian! Huzzah!

There was a brief pause, and he turned to look at her, grinning mischievously.

> It would be amusing for the thousandth of a microsecond it took before you had me thoroughly ventilated and repurposed in any case. I only ask that if you have me stuffed and mounted, you get the bearing right. I just couldn’t stand the thought of spending an eternity in an undignified pose or compromising position … [wink analog]

“Twitch your nose indeed,” he murmured aloud, shaking his head and carefully taking a brief sip of his drink to properly settle his throat after the minor coughing fit earlier. “They’d probably still shoot. And dammit, I like this shirt.”

Royal Imperious
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Royal Imperious » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:50 am

"It does seem so!" Oliver agreed wholeheartedly. "I'd especially like to have you over for tea sometime so we can discuss more. The Imperial Palace Tea Room is the finest in the country! My nation takes a lot with the former UK such as the Protestant religion, and having an extremely powerful Naval Force. I don't mean to brag about that though." Oliver chuckled. "We've also taken to some space travel and observation as you mentioned. We're currently researching different types of minerals and elements that could be found on other planets and used for human benefits, such as to cure disease or to create new tools for stronger structures. As well as searching for new planets and solar systems."

"Yutemiyo v'ien amei shaboor. Ye'mea tu'ur qurea." "Someday someone will remember you not for how you looked. But for what you did."~Prophet Ala'mahar Aldeean

Forever Live Imperious!

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:39 am

Sunset

Katenia carefully adjusted her dress. She'd picked it carefully, what with every diplomatic engagement made by Andacantra being a major step for them as a nation. It was simple but brightly coloured, something that perhaps could be said of the Andacantran people, she mused. Long enough to be modest, short enough to be practical - forever finding a compromise.

After another sip of her drink, trying to obscure her careful thought, Katenia responded "I'd rather not say where we are, just for now. We've previously been a very isolationist people, separating ourselves from everyone, not seeing the need to reach out. Recent events have changed that view, however, and we're slowly stepping out. Lets just say that we don't have much in the way of...neighbours."

She took another sip of her drink while taking in her surroundings, and scaling up how Demi would respond to her admission to the Andacantran isolationism.
Abbey

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scolopendra » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Ipolla glanced momentarily towards the laughing Dominioner.

-Prank, then. Have fun but don't make me have to clean up any more messes.-

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Andacantra...

Demi just smiled understandingly and nodded. It was a big galaxy out there after all; Plenty of room for all kinds of people.

"A little something about you, then? How did you end up the Ambassador?"

Zero-One
Spokesperson

Capitalizt

Postby Zero-One » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:05 pm

The doctor hid a grin behind one hand, putting the other up against the tall man's back, between his shoulders. "A bit too much to drink, Mister Mancuso? A joke you'd care to share with the rest of the class?"

> I am not a terrible cheat. [stern look analog] I am an outstanding cheat. And haven't I improved your quality of life at least some small measure by letting you see that through my eyes? Why, I've done nothing but good for you!

> And you somehow presume that I wouldn't wear such like a badge of honor. You're mine now, and it's only fair that the ownership be mutual.

> [sly grin analog]

> With that in mind, you can claim this any time you like.

A subtle movement, made possible by their current proximity, reinforced this statement.

How strange it was. Normally she'd jokingly blame it on bad influence from her sister-in-mind, but the fact of the matter was that only he could contextualize it in a fashion where it meant something to her. Hadn't she shown equivalent, in varied form, to her very few-and-far-between former loves, now lost to time and space?

Perhaps not so strange after all.

On a tangentially related note, she shot a message to her Scolopendran friend.

> We're allowed to laugh, aren't we?

The Boundless Legion
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Boundless Legion » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 pm

A smirk crossed Marcus' s face, and he crossed his arms as he began to explain.
"The Legion takes recruits...pretty much as they are. Once you've been brought on board and determined you're starworthy, you're asked to sign the articles of ship, committing you to that vessel for three months of service as a yeoman.
"When you're past muster, you're given a test of your character, administered by whoever your Captain is. Pass, and you're made a full Legionnaire, paid up, and given your colors."

Marcus' smile fades after a moment. "As a Captain, I need to say that...being in the Legion isn't like your standard army-navy. Remember...we have no homeworld. 'The Legion's duty is to the Galaxy', that's no empty promise. You are expected to face danger with aplomb, your wits, and a certain sense of humor."

Although he sensed he would be unable to dissuade the Princess from her plans, noting in this way that she was certainly her father's daughter, whatever came next he felt he could answer in clear conscience. He does look to Lain for a moment, not having forgotten the almost indicative glance she shot, and then to the representative from the Akashan Union.

"Do forgive my rudeness; introductions in short order, miss."

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:17 am

Sunset

"I grew up in the closest thing Andacantra has to a city - Andanda. Andacantrans generally spend their time as young adults working the land and studying, which is exactly what I did. I had responsibility for general care for the crops that fed my family and those nearest to me. I studied whatever I could get my hands on, but generally found myself interested in the rest of the nation, and by extension, the rest of the world. Then, when the government decided to set up a diplomatic corps and to reach out to the rest of the world, I jumped at the chance and applied."

Katenia thinks on this. Andacantran life was generally simple, but happy - a far cry from the life she was now finding herself leading, although she was loving it. She thinks back to her training, which was lead by people as clueless as those they were training. "Our training was to be sent out to the outlying communities of Andacantra, and try to make stronger links between them and the larger towns. We helped set them up with the technology and knowledge that would help this happen, but this is my first true engagement as an Ambassador."

The inquisitive part of Katenia fires up, as she looks around the room and observes the many cultures around her. "And what about yourself. What brings you to where you are now?" Katenia starts to relax into her new role, sipping her drink and just taking in the fantastic surroundings.
Abbey

The Prism Fleet
Secretary

Founded: May 02, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Prism Fleet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:25 am

(Edited for continuity reasons. Contents to be reinstated in a later post)
Last edited by The Prism Fleet on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:32 am

(Sorry for the delay! Been away. Lots to catch up on...)

The commotion was, frankly, an unexpected turn given the venue of the event, but Major Drakharn ultimately wasn't all that surprised that tempers flared on a hot day in a place filled with alcohol. That it had been Roanians arguing in public like this was a surprise, however. Scarlet had grown up here, on this planet, not far from this very orchard, and she thought that she knew Roanians quite well (at least better then nearly any foreigner could claim), and it was out of character for the highborn to risk losing such face by quarreling in front of the Empress and her family.

When she turned with Courror and saw that it was the Empress and her family, however, her heart sank and she looked away.

"Yes, best get on then," she muttered to Courrer as he took his leave. His statement made it quite clear that he was here as a protection detail. It shouldn't have surprised her, really, and she certainly didn't blame whichever luminary had seen fit to bring him along for wanting the extra security in this generally xenophobic environment. Had the hosts known, however, heads might have rolled at the perceived slight.

"Not exactly your concern, though" a voice filled Scarlet's head just then. The voice was both hers and yet not hers, and it sounded both intimately close and yet vastly distant. It was then that the source revealed itself, stepping out from behind a peach tree that was much too small to conceal a person. The one revealed was alike to the Major in most every way; she had the look of her double, if not her exact twin. Ellenith, her sister, shared her face, even if they had enough other disparate traits to set them apart, such as the fact that while Scarlet had a short disorderly mop of golden blonde hair, Ellenith's silky black locks were bound with golden wire and and hung down to her knees in a complex braid.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, sister mine?" Scarlet said softly aloud in her native tongue, softly so that no others would hear. The fact that Ellenith's eyes glowed a solid gold, to the point of appearing to give off their own light and emit what looked like a haze of gold smoke, combined with her simple attire that would have been entirely inappropriate for the event, lead Scarlet to rightly conclude that Ellenith was not actually here.

"That one was interesting," Elly spoke softly, ignoring the question as she watched the Oyadan depart. "Perhaps worth watching. Something of a kindred spirit, that one. Narrow of purpose, though. Like I said, kindred."

"If you're just here to tease me, I can do without. It has been a long day," Scarlet growled as she marched away from the scene, her path instead going deeper into the orchard. She might have been speaking softly enough to avoid being heard, but it still wouldn't do to have anyone spotting her apparently talking with herself.

"What, I can't have some fun at my little sister's expense?" Elly turned to walk beside Scarlet, while the plain, form-fitting, and sheer shift she wore billowed like mist as she moved.

"You keep calling me that," Scarlet grinned ruefully. "Yet I seem to recall being the one who's twenty minutes older."

"Chronology is so overrated," her sister retorted. "Besides, I've been good and not bothered you while you were on duty. Now that you're on leave, you're fair game like we agreed."

"I suppose it's not worth asking why neither you, mother or father are here, is it?" Scarlet said, cocking a brow as she turned to glace at the expression of her spectral twin.

"It is worth it, I suppose, but you aren't going to like the answer," Elly smirked, her look mischievous, "We're presently aboard ship bound for mother's estate on Clar Karond. They send their love, however."

"I come all the way out here... on leave... to see you..." Scarlet's face flushed as she scowled, "And you're... heading to my home port on the far side of the galaxy?!"

"Couldn't be helped," Elly remarked with a disaffected shrug, "Fleet Dispatch is so awfully slow at relaying these sort of things. Plus you hadn't even bothered to tell mother when your leave was scheduled!" Her tone was not nearly as sympathetic as Scarlet thought it should have been.

"Couldn't you just have..."

"What, astral projected as I am now and told you?' Elly gave a her a tsk-tsk and shook her head, "You were on duty, and that would have broken our arrangement. Besides, Calvyn, Kae and Velen are still at home, and all of them are dying to see you."

Finally satisfied that they were alone deeper in the orchard, Scarlet plucked herself a peach and sat down beneath the shade of one of the trees. It was quite ripe and delicious, and did much to sooth the simmering displeasure at being told she would not get to see her parents on this trip, nor her actual twin sister. Hardly Ellenith's fault after all, she thought as she calmed and centered herself, so it wouldn't do to get angry with her.

They sat together and talked for a good long while, each sharing news and stories about their work and what had been going on since they had last talked some months ago. Scarlet was pleased to hear that her younger siblings were all doing well in school, and would all be glad to see her when she came to visit. She had even brought them each something from the homeworlds, and Elly confirmed that they would be overjoyed by the gifts.

Finally, at length Ellenith sighed and told Scarlet that she couldn't maintain her presence any longer. "As much fun as you always are, I do have my limits," Elly said with a sly smile, "Go, rejoin the party. Things have settled, and you haven't really missed much. Oh, and your friend is up by the bar. Bring schnapps."

As suddenly as it had appeared, the apparition vanished in a blink without so much as a goodbye, leaving Scarlet as alone as she had been when she had arrived. Deciding to follow Ellenith's advice, Scarlet rose to her feet and brushed herself down, then turned and marched up the small hill to the bar set higher up in the orchard. It proved to be a simple enough task to relieve the bartender of a pair of tumblers, especially when he was busy looking elsewhere with other patrons, though the schnapps bottle had taken a bit more ingenuity to retrieve. name dropping usually did the trick, and the Drakharn name was well known around these parts.

Courror wasn't exactly hard to spot among the gathered revelers, given his nature, and she made her way over after completing her heist. What was it her sister had said? Kindred spirits. Might as well go with it. It had been awhile since she had had decent conversation with anyone, excepting her ethereal sibling. The drinks would likely make things easier.

"Don't get up," she said when she approached, unsurprisingly finding him eyeing up the bar from afar. Instead, she offered one of the glasses she had secured. When he took it, she poured him a measure of the smooth liqueur, then took a seat against the next tree in the row and poured another measure for herself. "So, you wanted to know about my eye..."
Last edited by New Naggoroth on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Naggoroth factbook

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Andacantra...

"I was a linguist," Demi answered. "When I was young, I fell in love with languages. A machine can do it, but there's something about speaking the native tongue that gives it a whole new meaning. A depth and subtlety that can change the most base expression into a turn of phrase that will have the most staid lover longing for your embrace or send a timid man into a frothing rage."

"That said," she looked over to her right, where the Grand Secretary still sat in conversation with his fellow, "When I was at the University of New Vancouver, I came to the realization that I would be left with few real-world options if I left with nothing but a Doctorate in Linguistics. There was working as a translator; A few cultures dislike machine translation intensely. Teaching languages myself, of course. Or there was diplomacy. So I added a minor in International Studies. My first posting was to the Duma as an assistant to the then-representative, and when she retired I inherited the post. A couple Administrations under my belt..."

Which meant the seemingly young woman was older than she seemed, if the general length of a Democratic Nation's Administrations were anything to judge by. If she was, she'd taken good care of herself as she appeared to be at worst in her early thirties and at best mid-twenties.

"And it's time to expand my horizons. Ambassador at Large... Though I feel more like a firefighter, always rushing here and there with some new crisis to diffuse or hot-spot to tamp down. But I love it. Always getting to meet new people," she smiled at Katenia, making eye contact for a second before looking away, "Going new places."

"Maybe even Andacantra. You mentioned Andanda... The closest thing your civilization has to a city? Tell me a bit about it. Is that where you got that lovely dress?"

Tiburon
Lobbyist

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tiburon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Signy had been until now idly viewing the moonlight of the two full moons filtering through the gaps in the peach tree leaves, having stepped back somewhat in an effort to avoid disrupting the Captain's conversation with NaiLin. Following the Captain's remarks, she turned in his direction and bowed quickly, responding somewhat quietly, "My tremendous apologies for not having done so earlier; please forgive my own rudeness in the matter. My name is Sieglinde Dipika Kulkarni-von Zweibrücken, Assistant Deputy Minister of External Affairs for the Akashan Union. But I'd much prefer just Signy." Turning now to face both the Captain and NaiLin, she added with a smile, "And, what the Captain said applies for us as well: you'll certainly always have a friend in the Akashan Union."

"In fact, the Akashan Union has a foreign legion component as well, which is something that might be of interest. It's even a path towards Akashan citizenship for a lot of individuals... well, if it's something that would be useful, I'd be more than happy to check with them regarding the admission process. You know, Captain," she added with a slight chuckle, "that principle you mention is very similar to many of our own. It comes from the time that people actually believed in such things as souls, but the spirit of it is what counts, after all." Her brow furrowed slightly as she tried to remember the specific words. "The aatman, the inner self, is the fundamental aspect connected to the great absolute of the universe, whereas the body is but a vessel for the aatman. It's the aatman that sings the song of one's heart, not the vessel."

Slightly lost in thought, she continued, "I suppose having the vessel match the aatman would help the song resonate best..." She shook her head, trying to avoid a philosophical tangent. "Anyway, at the risk of imposing, I suppose that's my take on it. We are who we are in our hearts. If that's not who we are when we're born, so be it; that seems like a silly thing to cling to. Especially if the vessel can change to make that song resonate even more clearly," she concluded with a warm smile.
The Akashan Union, successor state to the United Solaris Federation of Tiburon
Member of the Akashan-Scolopendran Union and the Triumvirate of Yut
Member of VERITAS, MPA, and MFTA

सत्यमेव जयते नानृतम् — Mundaka Upanishad, Verse 3.1.6.
"Statt des törichten Ignorabimus heiße im Gegenteil unsere Losung: Wir müssen wissen: wir werden wissen!" — David Hilbert
"तुम मुझे खून दो, मैं तुम्हें आज़ादी दूंगा!" — Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

Sunset

"Oh, this?" responded Katenia, with just a slight note of surprise in her voice. "This was made for me by a lovely seamstress, a friend of mine, in one of the outlying villages, fairly close to Andanda. I have some friends out there, as they come into the city for their studies, and she is one of the friends I made while doing general studies as a teenager. When I knew that I was going to need some formal attire in my new role, I went straight to her."

Katenia ponders how to describe Andanda to someone who hasn't seen it. "Andanda is a fantastic place," she begins, "I guess you could describe it as many villages that have expanded into each other, each with their own speciality. There's a big daily market, which is the heart of the whole nation. Our leaders always do addresses in that square, which is by the main town hall, and it's also the hub of Andacantran life in general. Lehi square, it is called, after the leader who established it as the hub of not only Andanda, but the entire nation."

Katenia looks over to Demi, checking that she's not droning on or being dull. "Resources are precious to Andacantrans, and waste is something that we just don't do - we're small, so we conserve everything that we have. If it can be, it is made renawably. Each 'village' in Andanda has a colour - that of its particular speciality - whether that be a mineral or crop." Katenia looks around, and notes that each ambassador has their own style and way of operating, too. A mixed group of people, each carrying their own culture. She tries to figure out what she can about each person, those that are very brash, the jokers, the charmers. She carefully looks at Demi, figuring out which characteristics Demi has, thinking about how she seems to be very inquisitive, and to have in common with Katenia that she seems to simply want to see new places, enjoy new things.

"Andanda is a bright, colourful and generally vibrant place, as everyone does what they can for others, and has the chance to learn more as well. Andandans, and Andacantrans in general, rarely work 'normal' jobs, instead having responsibility for one thing in particular, and having the rest of their time free to do as they please. It's a fantastic atmosphere, and it has very strong sense of community and friendship."

Katenia ponders on this thought - it seems strange to her that the Andacantrans were so isolationist, when within Andacantra, everyone is so open, and thinking about others. She presumes it's a historical basis that nobody ever thought to change, until the recent past. She also thinks about her decision to embark on this new career of hers, how different it is to the life she was leading, could be leading. "All that said," Katenia adds, "it can be a very repetitive life - very predictable. As fantastic a place as it is, I desired to see new things, see how the rest of civilisation lived, and perhaps learn some lessons which I could take home with me."
Abbey

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:40 am

Andacantra

"So your friend the seamstress," Demi, not quite understanding and looking for clarification, asked, "She makes the dresses but she doesn't sell them? Her job is only to make dresses, while someone else might sell them? Does she design them as well, or does she take an existing pattern and fit it very carefully to each person?"

The way the Andacantran described it, it seemed to Demi almost like a 'clan' system where each was responsible for a particular element in the economy. The 'clothing' clan, for example, might just be responsible for designing, making, and selling clothing while the 'horse' clan might only care, feed, and breed horses. She wasn't sure though, and the young woman's explanation of her culture was interesting enough that Demi wanted clarification rather than a change in subject.

"And does that mean you're the first of the Diplomat Village? How does your civilization handle the emergence of a new technology?"

Roania
Ambassador

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Roania » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:00 am

Dread Lady Nathicana, Royal Imperious

Nesar grabbed a glass of wine off a passing waitress and went to join Oliver and Naiya. "Good evening. May I welcome you in my cousin's name to the coming of age of her lovely daughter, the Princess NaiLin?" Nesar lifted his glas of wine in a toast and smiled. "I am Cheruv Nesar," He bowed slightly. "I've already met the lovely Imperatrice, but you must be...Oliver of Imperious, am I right?" Barely a moment's hesitation before he placed the man.

Tiburon, Boundless Legion, Prism Fleet

NaiLin smiled her pretty smile and curtsied. In an absent way, "I always wanted to sing, you see. But my father disapproved. Not an appropriate musical talent for a young prince, he said." Her voice, as she spoke, definitely had a musical timbre to it. It was a light, airy voice, one for singing, and romance, and beauty. She laughed, and her laugh was like the gentle tinkling of bells. "Introductions? Well, you know that I'm the Princess NaiLin. My companion is the excellent Lain." Just Lain, for the time being, but she had her eyes on a way of fixing that.
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

Andacantra
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andacantra » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am

Sunset

"She can do both - she'll generally take an existing pattern and either produce generically sized versions, or fit it carefully to each person. Generally, other people will sell it, but not for their own gain - it is a very communal system, and often works on bartering and resource trading rather than currency, although currency is also sometimes used. Anything gained is plowed straight back into the villages general resources, with everyone taking what they need. Occasionally things don't go to plan, but this is where the peacemaking village often steps in."

Katenia carefully considers Demi's comparison of Andanda to a clan system. She supposes that it is fairly accurate, really. She responds, "yes, that seems fairly accurate. Each village generally has some level of food production, for instance, but for the most part, Andanda developed partly because they found it mutually agreeable to share their particular specialities."

New technology is also an interesting thought. "I could be, although there was already a village which happened to be particularly skilled in peacemaking and conflict resolution, a village which had in its past had seen some of the only conflict ever seen within my nation, and that meant that they focused on bringing their children up to learn these skills as well. The new ambassadors have generally taken up residence within that village, with a few new homes having been built in order to accomodate us. New technologies are generally handled in a similar manner, although when it does not fit well into an existing village, sometimes a new village is formed, somewhere, perhaps as an offshoot from another. For instance, those responsible for the generation of power and the spreading of new electrical technologies formed a new village when they became too large to sit within the river-keepers and other villages."
Abbey

Royal Imperious
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Royal Imperious » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Oliver nodded slightly. "Yes, I'm Royal King Oliver Parkston of Imperious. It's certainly a pleasure, Mr. Nesar." Oliver smiled as he took a drink. "I'd like to thank you for welcoming me into your nation for such a grand celebration, it certainly is very beautiful here. If you'd like, you both may visit my nation any time and explore the scenery there, I believe you'd both enjoy it."

Forever Live Imperious!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates