NATION

PASSWORD

Alt Earth: An rp region

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Alt Earth: An rp region

Postby The Jonathanian States » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:31 pm

If this isn't the fitting place, I'm sorry, I wasn't sure, due to this being a region, but one for rps.......
And I do remember having seen something of this kind here.......

Alt Earth
A region of realism and what-ifs

Are you a nation located in the real world?
Have you wanted a region in which there aren't masses of nations with billions over billions of population?
If you answered those questions with a yes, Alt Earth is the region for you.

Well, in case you haven't understood by now, this is the app-thread for the rp-region Alt Earth.
It consists of the real world, with not quite as real nations, or even new Islands, placed on it. As long as it somehow realistically can have happened, and would find itself somewhere on that map (in the untaken areas, of course), it fits here.

That being said, it is also a region which tries to be realistic.
That means not every nation will be let in, especially if it claims it owns '100billion super laz00r nukz'.
Nonetheless, I present to you, the app:
Code: Select all
Please remove the unbolded bracketed notes.
[b][u]Government and State[/u][/b]
[list]
[*][b]Nation's short and/or unofficial name(s):[/b]
[*][b]Nation's full and/or official name(s):[/b]
[*][b]Territory:[/b]
[*][b]Government type:[/b]
[*][b]Head(s) of State:[/b]
[*][b]Head(s) of Government:[/b]
[*][b]Capital:[/b]
[*][b]Ideologies:[/b](Of the government) (Simple Keywords/Ideas)
[*][b]Flag:[/b]
[/list]
[b][u]Economy:[/u][/b]
[list]
[*][b]GDP:[/b] (Nominal total)
[*][b]GDP:[/b] (Nominal per-capita)
[/list]
[b][u]People[/u][/b]
[list]
[*][b]Population:[/b]
[*][b]Dominant Ideologies:[/b]
[*][b]Majority Religion:[/b] (Or lack thereof)
[*][b]Majority Culture:[/b] (Can be an existing one, does not need to be).
[/list]
[b]Military:[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Conscription:[/b] Y/N
[*][b]Active:[/b]
[*][b]Reserve:[/b]
[*][b]Paramilitary:[/b]
[/list]
[b]History:[/b]

[b]Additional information:[/b]
(If there was anything you think is required to be known, which didn't fit into any of the other questions, please add it here)
OLAP (This is just a note so that searching apps in the thread will be simple).

Notes/Rules:
If you are not an added Island, it'd be appreciated for territory to not be too massive, as to leave space for other rpers.
Additionally, this being intended to be a region to rp with long-term, rush actions will be advised against, and if you intend to just jump into war the first day and go for everything or nothing, don't try.
Current Regional Map
This is strictly MT, if that wasn't obvious.
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

La Guarija
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby La Guarija » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 pm

-
Last edited by La Guarija on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm

La Guarija wrote:Nation's short name(s): La Guarija
Nation's full name(s): Federación Vargasiano of La Guarija
Territory: Venezuela
Government type: Military Junta
Head(s) of State: General Raul Velasquez
Head(s) of Government: General Juan Velasquez
Ideologies:(Both of the majority of the populace and of the government) Velasquezism ( basically Latin version of Baathism )
GDP:(Total and per-capita) 447 bilion
Population: 47,425,437
Military Personnel: about 120 000 active

That population seems quite high......
And the GDP too.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Nation's short name(s): Alba & Eire, Gaelic Kingdoms, GK
Nation's full name(s): The Kingdom of Greater Scotia
Territory: Scotland, Northern England as far as York, Ireland, Orkney, Shetland, Faroe, and Iceland
Government type: Constitutional Monarchy
Head(s) of State: High King Lachlan I Mac Nachtan
Head(s) of Government: High King Lachlan I Mac Nachtan

Ideologies: Monarchist, Nationalist, Christian, Laissez-faire economy (Both of the majority of the populace and of the government)
GDP: I'm not sure what GDP is, really :P (Total and per-capita)
Population: 9.884 Million
Military Personnel: 1,500,000
General History: After Robert the Bruce defeated the English at Bannockburn in 1314 A.D, and Edward II not only recognized Scottish Independence, but also ceded much of Northern England (in exchange for aid against revolting Nobles in England), Scottish power soared to new heights, leading to a golden era of Scottish supremacy over Northernmost Europe, later expanding to include Ireland and Iceland into its holdings, and colonizing much of the American Eastern Coast and Newfoundland during the 1500s-1600s. After the loss of its colonies in the past century, Greater Scotia has for the most part tried to keep itself out of the affairs of Europe, and still remain fairly isolationist in its policies.

In progress...
Last edited by The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
--Thorin Oakenshield [J.R.R. Tolkien]
I am a true Scot
Alba gu bràth!

La Guarija
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby La Guarija » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm

-
Last edited by La Guarija on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winovia
Minister

Founded: Nov 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Winovia » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Nation's short name(s): Amexada
Nation's full name(s): Republic of Amexada
Territory: United States, Northern Mexico (To Tropic of Cancer), Southern Canada
Government type: Federal Presidential Republic
Head(s) of State: President James Pike
Head(s) of Government: President James Pike
Ideologies: Social Liberal, Democratic
GDP: $150.45 Billion
Population: 400.9 Million
Military Personnel 5,500,000 Active (20,250,000 Reserve)
General History: The United States Government under George Bush (the first one) attacked Mexico and started the Second Mexican-American War. The war didn't last long due to Mexicos inferior forces and the US annexed Northern Mexico. Mexican-American Relations were strained afterwards but the two nations reconciled with the help of President Bill Clinton. During the Presidency of George Bush II the US launched an attack on Canada, which started the Candaian-American War. This war lasted a long time and resulted in a compromise with Southern Canada being given to the US, Bush renamed the Country Amexada. Shortly after Bush was assasinated along with his cabinet, and Senator Barack Obama became the president. He finished out Bush's term and had a second term but was beat in the 2012 Elections by Senator Pike.
Last edited by Winovia on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Her Majesty Queen Sophie I | Prime Minister Michelle Harper
WinoviaGov.wi | WinoviaEmbassy.wi | WCNN.wi

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Winovia wrote:Nation's short name(s): Moriso
Nation's full name(s): Republic of Moriso
Territory: United States, Northern Mexico (To Tropic of Cancer), Southern Canada
GDP:
Population: 470.9 Million
Military Personnel 15,500,000 Active (20,250,000 Reserve)
General History:

15.5 million active troops is way too big for an army. To put it in perspective, China has just over 2 million active troops and that's the biggest real world military.

The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain wrote:Nation's short name(s): Alba & Eire, Gaelic Kingdoms, GK
Nation's full name(s): The Kingdom of Greater Scotia
Territory: Scotland, Northern England as far as York, Ireland, Orkney, Shetland, Faroe, and Iceland
Government type: Constitutional Monarchy
Head(s) of State: High King Lachlan I Mac Nachtan
Head(s) of Government: High King Lachlan I Mac Nachtan

Ideologies: Monarchist, Nationalist, Christian, Laissez-faire economy (Both of the majority of the populace and of the government)
GDP: I'm not sure what GDP is, really :P (Total and per-capita)
Population: 9.884 Million
Military Personnel: 1,500,000
General History: After Robert the Bruce defeated the English at Bannockburn in 1314 A.D, and Edward II not only recognized Scottish Independence, but also ceded much of Northern England (in exchange for aid against revolting Nobles in England), Scottish power soared to new heights, leading to a golden era of Scottish supremacy over Northernmost Europe, later expanding to include Ireland and Iceland into its holdings, and colonizing much of the American Eastern Coast and Newfoundland during the 1500s-1600s. After the loss of its colonies in the past century, Greater Scotia has for the most part tried to keep itself out of the affairs of Europe, and still remain fairly isolationist in its policies.

In progress...

Your army is also too big. That's 15% of your population in the military and you will experience serious economic problems from having such a huge proportion of your workforce taken away to be soldiers. Unless you have some kind of conscription system similar to Finland or Israel where most of those are reservists who get called up for a training exercise once a year and can be called on to fight in an emergency after serving their mandatory period of active service.
Last edited by Gvozdevsk on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 am

La Guarija wrote:It is slightly increased population and GDP of colombia.

2011 Venezuela had roughly 18 million, you gave it 47 million. Hardly a slight increase.
It's PPP GDP is 408.805 billion, I'll be honest I originally looked at the nominal one,at 382.424 billion.

I don't think the statistics of Colombia are too relevant if you take Venezuela.....
La Guarija wrote:But I decided I will be RPing as post communist state so I will lower it.

Are you implying that communism, or post-communism lower population?
La Guarija wrote: Besides I am Ryu.

Welcome back to NS.
The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain wrote:In progress...

I'll respond once you consider it ready.
Winovia wrote:Nation's short name(s): Moriso
Nation's full name(s): Republic of Moriso
GDP:
Population: 470.9 Million
Military Personnel 15,500,000 Active (20,250,000 Reserve)
General History:

Nice to see you here, Winovia.
Regardless, the population of Mexico-Canada-US seems to amount to 447,811,626 so considering you don't even have all of Mexico, it might be reasonable to go towards that number. Unless you want to explain how it came to that number/how there was a major difference in population from the real one.

Additionally, History should at least include a basic framework

A GDP would be important too.

Last but not least, as Gvoz already said, the Military.
Even with your population it seems massive.

EDIT:
Additionally I do have to say that those are quite major claims......
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arab Unified Jamahiriya
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arab Unified Jamahiriya » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:27 am

OOC: It is me Ryu. I resign from La Guarija:

Nation's short name(s): Arab Confederacy
Nation's full name(s): Arab Unified Jamahiriya
Territory: Iraq, Syria
Government type: Military Junta, Single party State
Head(s) of State: General Bashir Al-Aziz
Head(s) of Government: General Dawood Nasser
Ideologies:(Both of the majority of the populace and of the government) Arab Secularist Social-Nationalism of Hizb Al-Wanat Al-Akabar ( Great County party )
GDP:(Total and per-capita): 312 bilion
Population: 69 milion
Military Personnel about 130 000
General History: Founded after victory of HAWAA in Syria and Iraq, the county' s aim is to unify arab people under one single banner of strong Arabic state. Soon HAWAA became Vanguard party of new Jamahiriya with General Al-Aziz as it' s supreme leader. Aziz became autocrat, ruling with strong but just hand. He issued many changes like improvement of military and economic reforms, kicking our foreign companies and nationalising key industries. AUJ becomes new rising star on the middle east...
Last edited by Arab Unified Jamahiriya on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 am

Arab Unified Jamahiriya wrote:OOC: It is me Ryu. I resign from La Guarija:

Nation's short name(s): Arab Confederacy
Nation's full name(s): Arab Unified Jamahiriya
Territory: Iraq, Syria
Government type: Military Junta, Single party State
Head(s) of State: General Bashir Al-Aziz
Head(s) of Government: General Dawood Nasser
Ideologies:(Both of the majority of the populace and of the government) Arab Secularist Social-Nationalism of Hizb Al-Wanat Al-Akabar ( Great County party )
GDP:(Total and per-capita): 312 bilion
Population: 75 milion
Military Personnel about 130 000
General History: Founded after victory of HAWAA in Syria and Iraq, the county' s aim is to unify arab people under one single banner of strong Arabic state. Soon HAWAA became Vanguard party of new Jamahiriya with General Al-Aziz as it' s supreme leader. Aziz became autocrat, ruling with strong but just hand. He issued many changes like improvement of military and economic reforms, kicking our foreign companies and nationalising key industries. AUJ becomes new rising star on the middle east...

This whole thing is OOC. Also, why did you?

Population: Do you even check the existing populations of areas?

GDP: Quite high, though I assume those reforms took a part in that?

Ideology: So basically a kind of Ba'athist Party?
Also, I think you mean Great Country party, right? Or is there a county which I missed.

History:
A bit more specification about when that rise was, could help.
Also, how the party got victorious, and how you had the majority of the people for an autocrat, might be helpful.
Additionally, kicking out foreign companies/nationalizing key industries (though the latter only if part of them was foreign owned) would probably have resulted in embargos/sanctions of sorts and led to economic downfall and/or prevented enactment of economic reforms.

Arab Unified Jamahiriya
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Arab Unified Jamahiriya » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 am

OOC: I realized if someone replaces spain with his construct my nation would be sensless.

Population: I am unified Iraq and Syria, both have about 35 milion. Syria has 23 milion, that is why I lowered the population.

Ideology: Yes.

Economy: Same debate again as we had in october. I won' t argue which economic type would be the best, but rather, leave it the way it is. Iraq has GDP of 242 bilion and I have like his territory doubled. I have a lot of oil, which being nationalised ( NOT EVERYTHING WAS NATIONALISED! ) would actually boost my economics.

Aslo note I am not an economic superpower.

And final thing: Throwing out foreign corporations was not aimed at foreign presence, but at their influence in politics. Aziz said clearly: you may operate aslong as you are not a threat to us.

History: I will begin at the moment when this happenes. So everything will be detailed.
Last edited by Arab Unified Jamahiriya on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 am

Arab Unified Jamahiriya wrote:OOC: I realized if someone replaces spain with his construct my nation would be sensless.

Population: I am unified Iraq and Syria, both have about 35 milion.

Ideology: Yes.

Economy: Same debate again as we had in october. I won' t argue which economic type would be the best, but rather, leave it the way it is. Iraq has GDP of 242 bilion and I have like his territory doubled. I have a lot of oil, which being nationalised ( NOT EVERYTHING WAS NATIONALISED! ) would actually boost my economics.

Aslo note I am not an economic superpower.

And final thing: Throwing out foreign corporations was not aimed at foreign presence, but at their influence in politics. Aziz said clearly: you may operate aslong as you are not a threat to us.

History: I will begin at the moment when this happenes. So everything will be detailed.

I see.

Population: Syria 22,530,746
Iraq: 31,129,225

Economy:
I actually don't remember what the debate was, back then.
Regardless, doubling Iraq's GDP won't really be an accurate display of a new GDP. I mean, Syria is Syria and not a second Iraq.
I understand you have a lot of oil, but most of your oil is in Iraq, as far as I remember, so that part shouldn't change the GDP from Iraq's.
Also, even if not everything was nationalized, nationalizing assets owned by foreigners might cause the international community to shun you, as I already said.

I see that.

I'm not quite sure what you mean there.
Economics and politics are more or less tied into another. See the Banana Wars as an example.

History:
If you start with the HAWAA in power, explain how they reached it, if you start just before, I'd prefer if the formal app be for the current government.

Winovia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Winovia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Winovia wrote:Nation's short name(s): Amexada
General History: The United States Government under George Bush (the first one) attacked Mexico and started the Second Mexican-American War. The war didn't last long due to Mexicos inferior forces and the US annexed Northern Mexico. Mexican-American Relations were strained afterwards but the two nations reconciled with the help of President Bill Clinton. During the Presidency of George Bush II the US launched an attack on Canada, which started the Candaian-American War. This war lasted a long time and resulted in a compromise with Southern Canada being given to the US, Bush renamed the Country Amexada. Shortly after Bush was assasinated along with his cabinet, and Senator Barack Obama became the president. He finished out Bush's term and had a second term but was beat in the 2012 Elections by Senator Pike.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Winovia wrote:
Winovia wrote:Nation's short name(s): Amexada

FYI Most of the US pacific coast is already taken, as is Florida, and as is all of the Canadian Pacific coast.

Second to that, the history.....
I am quite curious how a) the invasions into Canada/Mexico were justified, if at all; b) What supreme Magic President B. Clinton used, just so I can sprinkle it on the Koreas and the Middle east; c) Why? Why is it in American interest to invade and annex those areas. IIRC Northern Mexico doesn't really have the life standards/infrastructure of the US,(that's not my field of expertise, so I could be totally wrong here) which means bringing it to average would rather cost money. Canada is, I'd say, one of the close allies of the US, having trade agreements, border agreements, military agreements,etc. Also, while it might not be able to defeat the US, I have a feeling both the Commonwealth as allies of Canada and the EU as lovers of trade and peace might have a word or two with the US.
Now, about Obama finishing Bush's term..... doesn't the VP do that? And isn't the VP the running mate of the President,so therefore probably from the same party?

Also, the US alone has a GDP in the trillions. Might want to either raise that GDP a bit, or add something about economical decline in the history.(Unless all those trillions are in the west-coast areas you don't have, which I doubt).

Additionally, how the name change? Or why? EDIT: Ok, now I see that Amexada probably refers to America-Mexico-Canada. But you don't own all parts of those, so incorporating them into your name..... eh
In all off-topic seriousness and curiosity, would it even lay within the President's powers to change the name of the US?

Military still seems quite large......
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perazil
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Perazil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Nation's short name(s): Perazil
Nation's full name(s): Democratic Republic of Perazil
Territory: Peru and Brazil
Government type: Semi Presidential Federal Republic
Head(s) of State: President Carlos Pike
Head(s) of Government: Prime Minster Juan Ramirez
Ideologies: Liberal
GDP: $2.4 Trillion (Total), $20,435 (Per capita)
Population: 235 Million
Military Personnel 2,545,000 (Active), 1,075,255 (Reserve)
General History: After an economic collapse in Peru lead to a series of riots and protest from the people, the government fell. This left the nation in a state of anarchy, until the Brazilian Government intervened and took control of the country. Today, some terrorist groups call for Peruvian Sovereignty and the death of all Brazil.

This is Winovia, forget my previous app
Last edited by Perazil on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm

When I said ideally you want a maximum of 1 to 2% of your population in the military, I meant that for highly developed first and second world countries, not newly industrializing countries unless you're cool with having poor equipment. Plus liberal states generally go for smaller armies. See Scandinavia (or most of Europe for that matter) or Canada under Jean Chretien.
Last edited by Gvozdevsk on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Nation's short name(s): Nepal
Nation's full name(s): Nepalese Republic (formal) or Gurkha Empire (informal & unauthorized)
Territory: SAARC region, Iran and Tibet (maybe Burma if its not too much but I dont mind and I haven't included this in population)
Government type: Democratic Republic (de jure), Totalitarian Monarchy (de facto although due to censorship you probably wont notice it)
Head(s) of State: President Ranjit Kshetri
Head(s) of Government: President Ranjit Kshetri
Ideologies:
People are apathetic at best. As long as they are able to put food on their plates, get decent entertainment, are employed with have good income/ education they really dont care about politics.
Legislature is composed of 'communists' (2%), 'nationalists' (23%), 'ultra-nationalists' (5%) and the ruling party (70%)
GDP: $12 trillion (total), $12,289.79 (per capita)
Population: 976,420,000
Military Personnel 1,464,630 (0.15% active), 4,882,100 (0.5% primary reserve), 9,764,200 (1% secondary reserve), 29,292,600 (paramilitary)
General History: Point of divergence is the Anglo-Nepal War (no points for guessing the change I am obviously going to make).
Date of 19th July 1816 is engraved in history with golden letters and is remembered as well as celebrated by all the citizens of the republic (and not just because of government insistence). This was the date when brave, outnumbered and outgunned Gurkha armies numbering in mere hundreds fought valiantly and ruthlessly crushed the evil imperialist British forces acting for the devil that numbered at hundreds of thousands who seeked to enslave the Gurkhas just like they enslaved the Indian continent. At least that is what the history books says. Reality is of course not completely in concurrence with this version.

In reality, Gurkha forces numbered at around ten thousand while the "forces of devil" numbered around twenty five thousand. In addition, their retreat had more to do with lack of finance, lust and politics rather than the valiant fight put up by the Gurkhas. Nawab of Awadh, financial backer to the British campaign was convinced by Nepalese kings to withdraw the financial backing in return for marriage with the princess he adored. This left Governor-General Francis with no funds to continue the campaign and despite his frantic letters to London, enough funds never came through. As such, he tasked Major General Marley to loot Hetauda at all costs with hope of gaining funding until London sent funding for the campaign which lead to Marley venturing further than he ideally wanted, straight into selected killing area of Colonel Ranabir Singh Thapa. This lead to massacre of British forces, with over 5000 troops dying in less than an hour and Major General Marley being captured.

When the news of death of fifth of British forces reached Princely states of India including Garhwal Kingdom and Patiala State, the switched sides allying with their cultural neighbour. The news of defection combined by the major disaster reached Governor-General Francis, he personally led a campaign from the front lines which in hindsight was a mistake as a lucky shot meant his horse was brought down and he was captured by men of Garhwal. After being transferred to Kathmandu and undergoing torture of the kind that I would rather not speak of, denounced the war and gave up confidential information related to British armed forces. He was released by the authorities in Nepal however he never did recover from what ever happened during his imprisonment and took his own life few days latter. London sent a new governor who reached an agreement of peace recognising independence of princely states that sided with Nepal, Nepal itself and offering sincere apology on behalf of his predecessor.

While that seemed to be an end, it almost certainly wasn't. Nepalese Kings, drunk on their new found power and influence over states in Northern India began expanding their influence further and increasing the quality of its armed forces eventually culminating into third invasion of Tibet lead by Nepal and followed by the princely states. Qing dynasty that for past two wars came in defence of the Tibetans this time merely settled for strongly worded letter of dissatisfaction and request to withdraw. Denied help from their Chinese brothers, Tibet fell quite easily and was incorporated into Nepal with victors reward being paid to its allies. Meanwhile in the East India company, the defeat lead to what was feared; Hindu revival within the territory of the company and decaying Mughal empire.

With the company in shadows, an effective cold existed between Marathas and Nepal with each attempting to influence independent princely state, princely states within company sphere as well as snipping territories from crumbling Mughals. This state lasted for approximately fifty years before Nepal broadly had control over north of 22nd parallel while Mughals had control over the south excluding the east India which still remained solidly within the sphere of the Company. As Nepal found an ally in Afghans of Durrani Empire who managed to have cordial relationship despite of religious differences. Faced with this new thread, Marathas took the unbelievable decision to attack the company.

The war was long, and bloody. In fact it is probably fair to say it was the bloodiest battle of the nineteenth century with forces being drafted by Marathas (as well as states influenced by it) and forces being shipped from London to save the company. Nepalese meanwhile sat back and offered moral support to Marathas along with money for the campaign. It was awfully generous of the Kingdom to act in defence of its religious brothers despite of the cold relations that had existed for over half a century. Of course, they also provided the company with money for their campaign in silent but that fact is neither here nor there.

The war ended in 1870 with a white peace and both sides being weaker than ever before. People of Maratha were in open revolt against the additional taxations, deaths and failure of the campaign who were after head of the royal family. Nepalese Kings then promised safe haven for the royal family of Maratha, new titles and safety in return for oath of fealty. King of Marathas, threatened with their lives gave the oath, incorporating Marathas into Nepal. Nepal by this time had been known throughout as an Empire, title that was adopted by first Empress of Nepalese Empire, Sunita.

Meanwhile on foreign arena, relations between Durrani Empire and Nepalese Empire had grown further to such a point where two empires shared what can be described today as a "special relationship", sealed with royal marriages over time. With lack of independent Marathas and Sikhs, the rebellions were easily put down by joint efforts of two empires and the empire was stabilised. Moving combined forces of over million men to the border with the company, Empress Sunita gave an ultimatum to governor-general stating that they had seventy two hours with withdraw peacefully or million men would march over with orders to kill all whites living in the soil. The company weakened by the war with Maratha was no position to fight a million men army, so the governor-general chose to accept the ultimatum negotiating further thirty days to enable withdrawal of the British individuals living the territory. This thirty days was granted after which million men moved in, and raised Nepalese flag and signifying end of British involvement in Indian subcontinent.

The special relationship was however never demonstrated better than in the invasion of Qajar dynasty beginning in 1901 and fielding the largest army that had ever been seen to date which fought under joint command of the two Empires. Three million men army rolled through Iran, smashing one resistance after the other until they reached Tehran where resistance was much greater. A million men laid seize to the city while two million marched west to secure Iran by 1905. Tehran however held out until 1910 despite several assaults and when it did fall, it was mostly corpse. Mirza was still alive and taken to Kathmandu, he was never heard from again. Flag of Durrani Empire was then raised over Persia and during the time of celebrations, betrothal between heir apparent to Durrani Empire and heiress apparent to Nepalese Empire was announced in public, it still is not clear if this decision was planned in advance or if it was announcement made in a drunken stupor.

Either way, the betrothal occurred between Prince Shuja Shah of Durrani Empire and Princess Jayanti Shah of Nepalese Empire followed by a marriage sixteen years latter. Of course there were royal marriage in the past however as everyone recognised but no one stated, this meant one thing: two empires that dominated South Asia were to undergo personal union. This occurred under leadership of Emperor Nirajan Shah who was Emperor of Durrani Empire and Nepalese Empire. Under his leadership, these two Empires formally united to form "The Holy Empire", with primary capital in Kathmandu.

The empire remained neutral during both great wars, industrializing and selling materials to both sides in the conflict. The empire remained flourished until January 5th 1959, when public protest for democracy began. After exactly nine month of growing protests, Emperor gave in under condition that the Shahs would not be touched and their private property would remain private. These demands were accepted and the Shahs were removed from public power for 'democracy'.

Of course, the protest for democracy was not really a protest for democracy. It was simply change in families, from Shahs to Kshetris. People who never really cared were made to care by use of money and sweet promises of voting rights. When Shahs stepped aside, interim prime minister Salvanus Kshetri held a national referendum abolishing position of Emperor and replacing it with office of president which he was subsequently elected to by the newly created parliament as well as renaming the empire, Nepalese Republic.

*Notes:
1. I reduced the population and increased GDP from real because this will be as a nation more forward in development scale.
2. The political parties are really just created by the ruling party to give illusion of democracy. Those who attempt to create another party quickly give up or are hit by a truck or have a freakish accident.
3. I haven't worked out the party names so bear with me. Their names aren't "communist", "nationalist" etc...
4. Active is self explanatory. Primary reserves means they must report for training twice a week and must be available for deployment within 48 hour notice. Secondary reserve means they must report for training twice a month and must be available for deployment with one week notice. Paramilitary means they are military + police force because police force as such doesn't exist.
5. If I get Burma, history will be invasion will have taken place in 2012 for peace, prosperity and democracy, undertaken to defend lives of people.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winovia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Winovia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Winovia on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Connagh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Connagh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Nation's short name(s): Connagh
Nation's full name(s): The Federal Republic of Connagh
Territory: Preferabbly an island around the size of Sweden. The mid-Atantic would have been nice but its a bit crowded - off the Pacific coast of Canada and NW-US would be good. (Also, the inclusion of many landmasses would considerably fuck up the global climate. Eg, the Gulf stream current which keeps Britain, Ireland and Iceland relatively mild would be gone, causing them to be more or less frozen wastelands.)
Government type: Constitutional Parliamentary Republic
Head(s) of State: President John Hughs
Head(s) of Government: Prime Minister Derek Brandon
Ideologies: Currently topping the opinion polls for the next election is the National Front Party. Their ideology borders on neo-fascism and socialism, promoting self-sufficiency, non-immigration, universal healthcare, free education, military investment, industrialisation.
GDP: 1,922,000,000,000 (31,000 per capita)
Population: 62 million
Military Personnel 155,000 (0.25%)
General History:

- Discovered around 1600 it was first used as a naval stop off and outpost. The first major settling began in 1712 when nations from all over (Europe) moved in to claim a piece. United as one colony in 1730 under (parent nation needed here).
- There was mass immigration from the years 1760 - 1845 due to wars, famine, extradition and more, which boosted the population levels considerably.
- In 1846 there was a movement to gain representation in the (parent nation) parliament/court. The movement was shut down, leading to a small wave of strikes, protests, riots and fights. This escalates into full scale rebellion in 1848 and the country gains independence in 1850.
- 1852 sees the Constitution published and a second wave of immigration lasting until 1860.
- 1865, following a number of successive persecution laws, there is a small scale genocide against the 'travelling' community. An estimated 1.3 million people died.
- In 1870 Connagh has its first Emperor - created the position by being elected PM and amending the constitution. The nation at this point is a bit of a backwater, with little industrialisation. The Emperor works to change this and demonstrates his progress with the 1880-1883 Expansion Campaign (Attempted colonisation of parts of Western Africa)
- In 1885 the Emperor is assassinated and his political work undone. The country reverts to a presidential/parliamentary system.
- 1890 sees the disbandment of whatever 'colonies' remained.
- The 'New Century' movement begins around 1899-1900, radical political ideas of fascism, communism and imperialism take over. The Fascist party grows quite large and in 1920 wins the most seats in parliament.
- 1920 to 1930 the Fascist party make minor changes in legislation, issue decrees and amend areas of the constitution which then allow them to remain in power indefinitely.
- 1931 sees the rise of the Communist Opposition Party, clashes lead to a Fascist v Communist civil war from 1933 to 1935, resulting in a Fascist win.
- 1935 Reconstruction Act sees the country rocketed up to modern times with wide scale industrialisation, agriculture reforms, work schemes, research and development programs and more.
- In 1950 the single party state falls and elections are held. A democratic socialist party wins the first elections in 25 years and brings massive advances in civil liberties and political freedoms. The economy is weakened under their administration.
- 1960s and 70s see a struggle for power between socialist and nationalist parties.
- The 1980s see a devastating recession which prompts the growth of a neo-fascist party, mixing ideologies of the socialists and nationalists. They grow large enough to contest and win parliament in 1985 and in 1991 the economy stabilises.
- 1995 to the present the country remains in a somewhat stable condition.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 am

Connagh wrote:Nation's short name(s): Connagh
Territory: Preferabbly an island around the size of Sweden. The mid-Atantic would have been nice but its a bit crowded - off the Pacific coast of Canada and NW-US would be good. (Also, the inclusion of many landmasses would considerably fuck up the global climate. Eg, the Gulf stream current which keeps Britain, Ireland and Iceland relatively mild would be gone, causing them to be more or less frozen wastelands.)
Ideologies: Currently topping the opinion polls for the next election is the National Front Party. Their ideology borders on neo-fascism and socialism, promoting self-sufficiency, non-immigration, universal healthcare, free education, military investment, industrialisation.
General History:

- Discovered around 1600 it was first used as a naval stop off and outpost. The first major settling began in 1712 when nations from all over (Europe) moved in to claim a piece. United as one colony in 1730 under (parent nation needed here).
- There was mass immigration from the years 1760 - 1845 due to wars, famine, extradition and more, which boosted the population levels considerably.
- In 1846 there was a movement to gain representation in the (parent nation) parliament/court. The movement was shut down, leading to a small wave of strikes, protests, riots and fights. This escalates into full scale rebellion in 1848 and the country gains independence in 1850.
- 1852 sees the Constitution published and a second wave of immigration lasting until 1860.
- 1865, following a number of successive persecution laws, there is a small scale genocide against the 'travelling' community. An estimated 1.3 million people died.
- In 1870 Connagh has its first Emperor - created the position by being elected PM and amending the constitution. The nation at this point is a bit of a backwater, with little industrialisation. The Emperor works to change this and demonstrates his progress with the 1880-1883 Expansion Campaign (Attempted colonisation of parts of Western Africa)
- In 1885 the Emperor is assassinated and his political work undone. The country reverts to a presidential/parliamentary system.
- The 'New Century' movement begins around 1899-1900, radical political ideas of fascism, communism and imperialism take over. The Fascist party grows quite large and in 1920 wins the most seats in parliament.
- 1920 to 1930 the Fascist party make minor changes in legislation, issue decrees and amend areas of the constitution which then allow them to remain in power indefinitely.
- 1931 sees the rise of the Communist Opposition Party, clashes lead to a Fascist v Communist civil war from 1933 to 1935, resulting in a Fascist win.
- 1935 Reconstruction Act sees the country rocketed up to modern times with wide scale industrialisation, agriculture reforms, work schemes, research and development programs and more.
- In 1950 the single party state falls and elections are held. A democratic socialist party wins the first elections in 25 years and brings massive advances in civil liberties and political freedoms. The economy is weakened under their administration.
- 1960s and 70s see a struggle for power between socialist and nationalist parties.
- The 1980s see a devastating recession which prompts the growth of a neo-fascist party, mixing ideologies of the socialists and nationalists. They grow large enough to contest and win parliament in 1985 and in 1991 the economy stabilises.

Ideology: I'd also like the ideology of the current government.

Territory/Population: There seems to be quite a large amount of population for the size of Sweden. But, not being a real nation, I hardly have anything to work with,it could possibly pass.
Though only with quite high population density and/or urbanization.

Also, for me to actually put the Island on the map, I'd need a picture of it.

History:
West Africa seems a bit far too colonize from the pacific, so maybe east Africa would be more logical?
1870 and Empire... Emperor seems quite large a claim, but that merely is a titular thing I give as an opinion, and not as a critique of the app which you have to/should change.
But, fascism only started post WW-1, IIRC, so possibly the date for its rise should be delayed a bit.
Also, I must say, I really like that you left open the post of colonizer to enable connecting the various histories here.

EDIT:
What I forgot to say that we have an ex-Russian North-West-American Nation here, so they possibly could be the colonizer.

Great Nepal wrote:Nation's short name(s): Nepal
Nation's full name(s): Nepalese Republic (formal) or Gurkha Empire (informal & unauthorized)
Territory: SAARC region, Iran and Tibet (maybe Burma if its not too much but I dont mind and I haven't included this in population)
Government type: Democratic Republic (de jure), Totalitarian Monarchy (de facto although due to censorship you probably wont notice it)
Head(s) of State: President Ranjit Kshetri
Head(s) of Government: President Ranjit Kshetri
Ideologies:
People are apathetic at best. As long as they are able to put food on their plates, get decent entertainment, are employed with have good income/ education they really dont care about politics.
Legislature is composed of 'communists' (2%), 'nationalists' (23%), 'ultra-nationalists' (5%) and the ruling party (70%)
GDP: $12 trillion (total), $12,289.79 (per capita)
Population: 976,420,000
Military Personnel 1,464,630 (0.15% active), 4,882,100 (0.5% primary reserve), 9,764,200 (1% secondary reserve), 29,292,600 (paramilitary)
General History: Point of divergence is the Anglo-Nepal War (no points for guessing the change I am obviously going to make).
Date of 19th July 1816 is engraved in history with golden letters and is remembered as well as celebrated by all the citizens of the republic (and not just because of government insistence). This was the date when brave, outnumbered and outgunned Gurkha armies numbering in mere hundreds fought valiantly and ruthlessly crushed the evil imperialist British forces acting for the devil that numbered at hundreds of thousands who seeked to enslave the Gurkhas just like they enslaved the Indian continent. At least that is what the history books says. Reality is of course not completely in concurrence with this version.

In reality, Gurkha forces numbered at around ten thousand while the "forces of devil" numbered around twenty five thousand. In addition, their retreat had more to do with lack of finance, lust and politics rather than the valiant fight put up by the Gurkhas. Nawab of Awadh, financial backer to the British campaign was convinced by Nepalese kings to withdraw the financial backing in return for marriage with the princess he adored. This left Governor-General Francis with no funds to continue the campaign and despite his frantic letters to London, enough funds never came through. As such, he tasked Major General Marley to loot Hetauda at all costs with hope of gaining funding until London sent funding for the campaign which lead to Marley venturing further than he ideally wanted, straight into selected killing area of Colonel Ranabir Singh Thapa. This lead to massacre of British forces, with over 5000 troops dying in less than an hour and Major General Marley being captured.

When the news of death of fifth of British forces reached Princely states of India including Garhwal Kingdom and Patiala State, the switched sides allying with their cultural neighbour. The news of defection combined by the major disaster reached Governor-General Francis, he personally led a campaign from the front lines which in hindsight was a mistake as a lucky shot meant his horse was brought down and he was captured by men of Garhwal. After being transferred to Kathmandu and undergoing torture of the kind that I would rather not speak of, denounced the war and gave up confidential information related to British armed forces. He was released by the authorities in Nepal however he never did recover from what ever happened during his imprisonment and took his own life few days latter. London sent a new governor who reached an agreement of peace recognising independence of princely states that sided with Nepal, Nepal itself and offering sincere apology on behalf of his predecessor.

While that seemed to be an end, it almost certainly wasn't. Nepalese Kings, drunk on their new found power and influence over states in Northern India began expanding their influence further and increasing the quality of its armed forces eventually culminating into third invasion of Tibet lead by Nepal and followed by the princely states. Qing dynasty that for past two wars came in defence of the Tibetans this time merely settled for strongly worded letter of dissatisfaction and request to withdraw. Denied help from their Chinese brothers, Tibet fell quite easily and was incorporated into Nepal with victors reward being paid to its allies. Meanwhile in the East India company, the defeat lead to what was feared; Hindu revival within the territory of the company and decaying Mughal empire.

With the company in shadows, an effective cold existed between Marathas and Nepal with each attempting to influence independent princely state, princely states within company sphere as well as snipping territories from crumbling Mughals. This state lasted for approximately fifty years before Nepal broadly had control over north of 22nd parallel while Mughals had control over the south excluding the east India which still remained solidly within the sphere of the Company. As Nepal found an ally in Afghans of Durrani Empire who managed to have cordial relationship despite of religious differences. Faced with this new thread, Marathas took the unbelievable decision to attack the company.

The war was long, and bloody. In fact it is probably fair to say it was the bloodiest battle of the nineteenth century with forces being drafted by Marathas (as well as states influenced by it) and forces being shipped from London to save the company. Nepalese meanwhile sat back and offered moral support to Marathas along with money for the campaign. It was awfully generous of the Kingdom to act in defence of its religious brothers despite of the cold relations that had existed for over half a century. Of course, they also provided the company with money for their campaign in silent but that fact is neither here nor there.

The war ended in 1870 with a white peace and both sides being weaker than ever before. People of Maratha were in open revolt against the additional taxations, deaths and failure of the campaign who were after head of the royal family. Nepalese Kings then promised safe haven for the royal family of Maratha, new titles and safety in return for oath of fealty. King of Marathas, threatened with their lives gave the oath, incorporating Marathas into Nepal. Nepal by this time had been known throughout as an Empire, title that was adopted by first Empress of Nepalese Empire, Sunita.

Meanwhile on foreign arena, relations between Durrani Empire and Nepalese Empire had grown further to such a point where two empires shared what can be described today as a "special relationship", sealed with royal marriages over time. With lack of independent Marathas and Sikhs, the rebellions were easily put down by joint efforts of two empires and the empire was stabilised. Moving combined forces of over million men to the border with the company, Empress Sunita gave an ultimatum to governor-general stating that they had seventy two hours with withdraw peacefully or million men would march over with orders to kill all whites living in the soil. The company weakened by the war with Maratha was no position to fight a million men army, so the governor-general chose to accept the ultimatum negotiating further thirty days to enable withdrawal of the British individuals living the territory. This thirty days was granted after which million men moved in, and raised Nepalese flag and signifying end of British involvement in Indian subcontinent.

The special relationship was however never demonstrated better than in the invasion of Qajar dynasty beginning in 1901 and fielding the largest army that had ever been seen to date which fought under joint command of the two Empires. Three million men army rolled through Iran, smashing one resistance after the other until they reached Tehran where resistance was much greater. A million men laid seize to the city while two million marched west to secure Iran by 1905. Tehran however held out until 1910 despite several assaults and when it did fall, it was mostly corpse. Mirza was still alive and taken to Kathmandu, he was never heard from again. Flag of Durrani Empire was then raised over Persia and during the time of celebrations, betrothal between heir apparent to Durrani Empire and heiress apparent to Nepalese Empire was announced in public, it still is not clear if this decision was planned in advance or if it was announcement made in a drunken stupor.

Either way, the betrothal occurred between Prince Shuja Shah of Durrani Empire and Princess Jayanti Shah of Nepalese Empire followed by a marriage sixteen years latter. Of course there were royal marriage in the past however as everyone recognised but no one stated, this meant one thing: two empires that dominated South Asia were to undergo personal union. This occurred under leadership of Emperor Nirajan Shah who was Emperor of Durrani Empire and Nepalese Empire. Under his leadership, these two Empires formally united to form "The Holy Empire", with primary capital in Kathmandu.

The empire remained neutral during both great wars, industrializing and selling materials to both sides in the conflict. The empire remained flourished until January 5th 1959, when public protest for democracy began. After exactly nine month of growing protests, Emperor gave in under condition that the Shahs would not be touched and their private property would remain private. These demands were accepted and the Shahs were removed from public power for 'democracy'.

Of course, the protest for democracy was not really a protest for democracy. It was simply change in families, from Shahs to Kshetris. People who never really cared were made to care by use of money and sweet promises of voting rights. When Shahs stepped aside, interim prime minister Salvanus Kshetri held a national referendum abolishing position of Emperor and replacing it with office of president which he was subsequently elected to by the newly created parliament as well as renaming the empire, Nepalese Republic.

*Notes:
1. I reduced the population and increased GDP from real because this will be as a nation more forward in development scale.
2. The political parties are really just created by the ruling party to give illusion of democracy. Those who attempt to create another party quickly give up or are hit by a truck or have a freakish accident.
3. I haven't worked out the party names so bear with me. Their names aren't "communist", "nationalist" etc...
4. Active is self explanatory. Primary reserves means they must report for training twice a week and must be available for deployment within 48 hour notice. Secondary reserve means they must report for training twice a month and must be available for deployment with one week notice. Paramilitary means they are military + police force because police force as such doesn't exist.
5. If I get Burma, history will be invasion will have taken place in 2012 for peace, prosperity and democracy, undertaken to defend lives of people.

Wow. First of all, I have to say, nice detailed app.

But, I do have a few questions....

The GDP seems quite high.
I assume that is based on the Empire's industrialization during the Maratha-British War. Though it does seem even for an industrialized country quite much. But, it might be justifiable as this is,after all, quite a long-term change.

History:
Now, here I do have a few questions. Nawab of Awadh had already fully given them the loan before the campaign. And even if he hadn't, half of the later loan was offered as a tribute to the company, though the Governor-General only accepted it as a loan. Additionally, amongst the areas the British intended to conquer were areas bordering Awadh, so it would actually have been in Awadh's interest to fund the war.
You explain his change of mind with the marriage to a princess, but couldn't he have demanded her hand in marriage if the British would have won with his funds?

Also, I am interested in how the power-drunken Kingd would've expanded the strength of their armed forces.
AFAIK they only shared borders with Tibet,China, the British, and their allied Princely states. The British would be highly disinclined to support their modernization,the Chinese were isolated,Tibet was influenced by the latter IIRC, and the allied Princely states should be roughly on the same technological level as Nepal.

The Qing did usually intervene, and, in the last intervention I see, managed to push Nepalese forces into 5km of Katmandu. Nepal was forced into tribute. And that was only for raiding Tibet....

I doubt that the Maratha-British War would have ended in a status quo.
Either the British with their technological superiority would've been successful and the ability to get troops from their colonies, or they would've been defeated by the numerical superiority I'd assume the Maratha's had.

Also, I'm unsure of how the Marathas would've risen at all, even with Hindu revival,after they had been crushed by the British in the last of the Anglo-Maratha Wars.

Perazil wrote:Nation's short name(s): Perazil
Nation's full name(s): Democratic Republic of Perazil
Territory: Peru and Brazil
Government type: Semi Presidential Federal Republic
Head(s) of State: President Carlos Pike
Head(s) of Government: Prime Minster Juan Ramirez
Ideologies: Liberal
GDP: $2.4 Trillion (Total), $20,435 (Per capita)
Population: 235 Million
Military Personnel 2,545,000 (Active), 1,075,255 (Reserve)
General History: After an economic collapse in Peru lead to a series of riots and protest from the people, the government fell. This left the nation in a state of anarchy, until the Brazilian Government intervened and took control of the country. Today, some terrorist groups call for Peruvian Sovereignty and the death of all Brazil.

This is Winovia, forget my previous app

The per capita GDP doesn't quite seem to fit......

Military seems ok in terms of numbers.

Population seems to fit too.

History is... mkay. Slightly unrealistic that nobody did anything about it, no sanctions,embargoes,etc.
Adding terrorist groups is a nice touch, and might work as a plot for an rp later.

I still find the name change slightly weird, but unless anybody else has something to say, I think accepted?
Military seems fine.
Last edited by The Jonathanian States on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Connagh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Connagh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:
Connagh wrote:Nation's short name(s): Connagh
General History:

Territory/Population: There seems to be quite a large amount of population for the size of Sweden. But, not being a real nation, I hardly have anything to work with,it could possibly pass.

History:
West Africa seems a bit far too colonize from the pacific, so maybe east Africa would be more logical?
1870 and Empire... Emperor seems quite large a claim, but that merely is a titular thing I give as an opinion, and not as a critique of the app which you have to/should change.
But, fascism only started post WW-1, IIRC, so possibly the date for its rise should be delayed a bit.
Also, I must say, I really like that you left open the post of colonizer to enable connecting the various histories here.

EDIT:
What I forgot to say that we have an ex-Russian North-West-American Nation here, so they possibly could be the colonizer.

1, Sorry, I had the West Africa bit in from before I checked the map, and had planned on being in the mid-Atlantic. The colonized area could easily be changed to areas of the far east and/or south east Asia.

2, Yeah, Emperor is more of a self given title than a true position. My reasoning behind it is that he was a power hungry compensator, and wanted to create a cult of personality around himself and his power. Simply calling oneself Emperor gives an aura of power. Plus the 'Empire' he led was more or less a mockery. The colonies were absolutely tiny, and the Imperial Army/Navy vastly under trained and ill equipped.

3, The Fascism thing could be delayed, I figured as this was Alt-Earth the timeline would have a tolerance of a few years.

4, I can lower the population quite a bit, and if I increased the size to that of California or so I suppose that would be a lot more realistic.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Connagh wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:

History:

EDIT:

1, Sorry, I had the West Africa bit in from before I checked the map, and had planned on being in the mid-Atlantic. The colonized area could easily be changed to areas of the far east and/or south east Asia.

2, Yeah, Emperor is more of a self given title than a true position. My reasoning behind it is that he was a power hungry compensator, and wanted to create a cult of personality around himself and his power. Simply calling oneself Emperor gives an aura of power. Plus the 'Empire' he led was more or less a mockery. The colonies were absolutely tiny, and the Imperial Army/Navy vastly under trained and ill equipped.

3, The Fascism thing could be delayed, I figured as this was Alt-Earth the timeline would have a tolerance of a few years.

4, I can lower the population quite a bit, and if I increased the size to that of California or so I suppose that would be a lot more realistic.

1. No problem, that's what I assumed.

2. I thought of it being a title, though did not expect it being a mockery.

3. Looking a bit at its origins, it may have possibly been created earlier, though then probably not under the same name.
(As Fascism comes from the roman fasces which was adopted as symbol by the original Italian Fasci,IIRC)

4. I think California is smaller than Sweden, isn't it?
But yes, lowering the population might be reasonable.

All in all, I think the territory/population issues is the only thing delaying you being accepted.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:08 pm

The Jonathanian States wrote:Wow. First of all, I have to say, nice detailed app.

Thanks.

The Jonathanian States wrote:But, I do have a few questions....
The GDP seems quite high.
I assume that is based on the Empire's industrialization during the Maratha-British War. Though it does seem even for an industrialized country quite much. But, it might be justifiable as this is,after all, quite a long-term change.

That and selling stuff to both sides during both world wars... But I could reduce it if needed.

The Jonathanian States wrote:History:
Now, here I do have a few questions. Nawab of Awadh had already fully given them the loan before the campaign. And even if he hadn't, half of the later loan was offered as a tribute to the company, though the Governor-General only accepted it as a loan.

Initially, Nawab only gave a crore (million) rupees then eight lacks (hundred thousand) was added, monies after that stopped coming through by him claiming largely that it would soon etc as well as just giving few thousands at a time.

The Jonathanian States wrote:Additionally, amongst the areas the British intended to conquer were areas bordering Awadh, so it would actually have been in Awadh's interest to fund the war.
You explain his change of mind with the marriage to a princess, but couldn't he have demanded her hand in marriage if the British would have won with his funds?

Yes but that would have required much greater involvement by the British. Even the treaty as is wasn't accepted initially and second campaign was needed for Nepal to ratify it. Although I see your point; how about I change it so that he demanded just that and to prevent Nepalese from marrying off the princess, capturing her was made high priority. Rumour that she is in Hethauda caused Major General Wood to venture further than he did IRL thus falling victim to Colonel Ranabir Singh's traps? The money isn't really key aspect, its the loss of 5000 troops and money is just a justification as to change of heart in part of Major General from RL.

The Jonathanian States wrote:Also, I am interested in how the power-drunken Kingd would've expanded the strength of their armed forces.
AFAIK they only shared borders with Tibet,China, the British, and their allied Princely states. The British would be highly disinclined to support their modernization,the Chinese were isolated,Tibet was influenced by the latter IIRC, and the allied Princely states should be roughly on the same technological level as Nepal.

They didn't expand in terms of technology (except minor advances made in part of technology experienced by princely states under British) but in terms of numbers. The victory meant the people were more inclined to support the army and the king was be able to levy greater taxes which enabled more investment in army so more people could be drafted in. Essentially, the army was strengthened in terms of numbers more than technology.

The Jonathanian States wrote:The Qing did usually intervene, and, in the last intervention I see, managed to push Nepalese forces into 5km of Katmandu. Nepal was forced into tribute. And that was only for raiding Tibet....

Yes but now they just saw defeat of UK, Nepal had allies and numbers were much higher. Qing dynasty was weakened in 19th century, as shown in Anglo-Nepal war where Qing did nothing to defend its feudatory (Nepal). Plus it didn't help Tibet when Nepal invaded in 1855 despite treaty saying any dispute between Nepal-Tibet would be resolved by Qing, that invasion was minor success for Nepal where it forced Tibet to pay reparations and allow a Nepalese trading station and agency to be established (peace which was reached by Nepalese finances were overstretched).

The Jonathanian States wrote:I doubt that the Maratha-British War would have ended in a status quo.
Either the British with their technological superiority would've been successful and the ability to get troops from their colonies, or they would've been defeated by the numerical superiority I'd assume the Maratha's had.

That was caused because of Nepal, Afghan Empire and its allies supporting both sides behind their backs. As Maratha started to loose, Nepal send monies and troops over to fight under their flag. Basically Nepal with its allies were fighting proxy war against both Maratha and British simultaneously.

The Jonathanian States wrote:Also, I'm unsure of how the Marathas would've risen at all, even with Hindu revival,after they had been crushed by the British in the last of the Anglo-Maratha Wars.]

Marathas existed until after Anglo Nepal war (1816), they were only put down in 1818 by Third Anglo-Maratha War.
The company, loosing political will after suffering massive defeat against what was theoretically easy opponent chooses not to undertake another war just 2 years after defeat and Marathas survive.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max Empire
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Max Empire » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Nation's short name(s): New Byzantium
Nation's full name(s): The Resurgent Greek-Roman Empire of Constantinople
Territory: Greece and East Thrace
Government type: Monarchy
Head(s) of State: Emperor Konstantine I
Head(s) of Government: Emperor Konstantine I
Ideologies: Monarchist, The Roman Empire must be restored!, Orthodox Christianity, Free market
GDP: Total: $306 billion Per Capital: $23,831
Population: 13 million (Greece + East Thrace, this includes the European half of Istanbul)
Military Personnel 1 million (Mobilizing for war at the moment, it would normally be much lower)
General History: You know Greece? They collapsed due to the bad economy and before you know it this guy named Konstantine comes around and claims he is a decendant of the Palaiologos Emperors of Byzantium. He takes the country over by force and quickly annexes East Thrace from Turkey, while they are troubled by mass protests.
OLAP

I will ofcourse make a new nation for the region with the name stated above
Last edited by Max Empire on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44
23 year old Pansexual Swiss Male from Switzerland, loves history, economics and politics

Perazil
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Perazil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

I just combimed the GDP for both nations, so what is the problem.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates