NATION

PASSWORD

Till Death Do Us Part [Attn: NDA, Concordat, Others]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Till Death Do Us Part [Attn: NDA, Concordat, Others]

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:54 am

Reanimating living tissue without reviving the individual continues to present difficulties. The beneficial effects of maintaining it upon a skeletal figure can only persist for, at the most, six hours until rigor mortis sets in, where after the body becomes too rigid for regular use. Application of magic, however, can provide delay its onset but not enough to be of any practicality… scribed Siri’s slender hand into the weathered pages of a heavy, bound tome that contained a great deal of her thoughts on the applications of necromantic magic. It had once been part of a centuries-old set, pieces of which had been passed down from a mentor of hers, who thought it best to focus his skills on more specific topics in his later years. So she had continued his work from right where he had left off.

Her husband, seated beside her thumbing through the Hawthorne Times, glanced over at what she was jotting down, catching a few words here and then as he attempted to interpret her jagged handwriting. “Playin’ with the dead again, I see?”

Her brow furrowed accompanied by a frown, not quite wanting to be disturbed with his usual moralizing and finding her mind jammed in trying to figure out who to resolve this particular issue. “‘Playing?’ No. Manipulating? Yes,” she corrected.

“Mmhmm…so what’s the problem then?” Jack asked, noticing her contorted expression.

“Alright, if you really want to know.” The elf sighed, finding that perhaps now would be a good time for a break, and talking it out might very well cause an idea to strike her; she placed the pen within the book’s gutter and rested her hands over one another on top. “Theoretically, let’s say someone dies and wishes to preserve themselves as a guardian of a crypt…”

“Right…” He knew vaguely what she was speaking of: ancestral guardians, which he had briefly run into when he accompanied his wife on a visitation to her family’s crypt, but thankfully, he didn’t have to worry about fending them off at the time.

Siri continued. “…stripping off their flesh generally gives you a simple skeleton: decent for scaring people off, but not the slightest bit effective at actually fighting someone off. It’s like a security guard for a housing development.”

Jack then picked up where she left off, clarifying what she had said, making sure that she knew that he understood everything she was saying and was not pretending to. “They’re there to be a deterrent; thieves aren’t interested in confrontations with people – they’re generally not murders. But if there’s somethin’ happening that’s bigger than that, their job is to call the police, people who actually have the training to deal with these situations.”

“Exactly,” she nodded. “Skeletal guardians look scary but not much more than that, which is why I’m attempting to devise a solution where they can maintain some more of their previous life’s…bulk. Flesh is a useful cushion for any blows that come, tendons and muscles keep the bones from scattering all over the place, and the muscles themselves add more strength so they can do more damage.”

“So the trouble, I’m bettin’, is that you’re tryin’ to keep them from becoming a stinky, slimy mess,” he answered her bluntly.

“Precisely,” came her rather simplistic response as that was indeed the problem that had plagued her. The results of her experiments tended to result in massive amounts of decay, blood dripping wherever the body moved, rotting flesh dropping off here and there; it wasn’t exactly fit for talking about in detail to anyone, especially to him.

“You know, I haven’t got the slightest clue about all this necro-stuff and frankly, I’ve never been all that big of a fan of it.” Which was something that was already well known, but he was just reiterating his feelings about the matter. “Rather morbid and depressing, I think. Nothing but death and gloom.”

Siri disagreed with that particular belief; it was something that most people had misconceptions about, and it annoyed the hell out of her. “It’s not as much as you would think, actually. Think of it as being like a coroner; you’d assume that all you learn about is death, but in reality, you learn so much about life, because how someone died tells you quite a lot about how that person lived. They’re not mutually exclusive; you cannot have one without the other.”

“I suppose so,” he relented quickly, not because he necessarily agreed but he was trying mainly to avoid becoming overly preachy about it all. That in turn would result in an argument, which was something he did not want. “But that’s still someone’s body you’re trying to recreate. Bones are just bones in most people’s eyes; people have seen fake skeletons all over on Halloween. You just don’t see them as being an actual, real person. But flesh and blood bodies wanderin’ around, no soul or whatever? That’s creepy.”

The elf smirked. “You think I’m being creepy?”

“Yeah…yeah, I do,” he chuckled, putting an arm around her that squeezed her tight. “I love ya, dear, but your hobbies are…odd, to say the least. I’m just waitin’ for the moment you up and decide to replace our soldiers with your undead army.”

“Well, they would be more obedient, require less training, and you would not have to worry about them being scared or screwing something up. Plus they’re disposable.” She then got that playful glint in her eyes. “You’re just not taking this far enough, though. Why stop there? I should be ruling over an entirely undead nation. Think of how my popularity ratings and civil obedience would skyrocket.”

At least she still has her sense of humor about it, he thought and laughed heartily over her response. “But you wouldn’t win any prizes for the friendliest people…or the best smellin’.”

“That’s something that I shall have to work on then…perhaps conjure up some aromatic spells or something.” Siri put on her mockingly thoughtful expression and stroked her chin. “How does lilac sound?”

“You’re better off just hangin’ a few of those tree car air fresheners from their ears,” he added, still grinning. “Just imagine that nice, fake piney scent.”

“Good idea. I’d better write that one down.” The elf nodded, picking up her pen and starting to read over everything that she had written before to get her previous train of thought back on the rails, as she realized that they had both run that topic into the ground with their mockery.

Jack, still chuckling under his breath, had also picked up right where he left off in the editorial section and started to read about the editors’ opinion on the corporate restructuring issue that had been going on. It was thankfully an honest, informed, and a well-deserved critique; the people were not actually speaking from a position of ignorance or religious fanaticism like so many others had. It did, however, bring up a question that had been on his mind for quite a while.

“How’re things going at work, by the way?” he asked, finally breaking the brief moment of silence and disturbing her thought processes, and folded the newspaper closed down onto his lap. “You haven’t said a whole hell of a lot about it lately.”

She shrugged and sighed, looking up from her writing. “As good as one could expect considering the circumstances. Oh, there’s the usual flack about stripping everyone of their offices before their terms have expired and making the voters return to the polls to vote them back in again. They say it’s not fair to them after they’ve spent so much time and money to become elected. But they’ve shut up after I’ve suggested that I’ve been contemplating banning all previous officeholders from ever running again for the same position.”

His eyebrow arched with concern. “Have you?”

“No, but it stops their bitching quite quickly.” She then caught him giving her a rather disapproving frown and glared right back at him. “Now don’t give me that look; being a wiseass to people when they’re being jackasses isn’t my forte. You have the gift of biting sarcasm; I do not. I threaten.”

“I guess it’s better than your old way of resolving conflict,” he answered, referring to their initial meeting many decades before where she smacked…or rather, beat…him upside the head with a club without warning because he was intruding in a place where he should not have been. Of course, no one had told him about such things at the time.

“Exactly.” She folded her arms across her chest. “I’m not that bad anymore; I have much more patience and less of a desire to assault people now. You needn’t worry about me or how the nation is going to be run. I have it under control.”

Jack looked down thoughtfully at the newspaper, answering under his breath, “Yeah…”

“I’m still sensing that uncertainty in your voice…tell me what’s going on.” If there was one thing that she learned over the years, it was that they had to be open with one another, not letting these sorts of issues fester beneath the surface and become some unspoken burden for one to bear.

“It’s not you,” he admitted freely, shaking his head. He didn’t want her worrying that she had done something wrong again and he was disappointed in her, which she hadn’t and he wasn’t. “To be frank, twenty years ago, I would’ve said you weren’t at all capable of the job, but now, you’ve grown into it and I think you would do fine. It’s just that, after spendin’ so many decades in the big chair, it’s hard to fathom anyone else taking the job, so I’m nitpickin’ at everything they do. You do things in a different, but not necessarily worse, way than I would.”

Siri sighed. “Jack, that may be so, but there are things I’ve learned from you. Take for example: I’ve been hearing murmurs of uncertainty with governmental employees, worried that they’ll be laid off with all of these upcoming changes. I could very well ignore them – what matters after all is the big picture. But no, that would be a rather asshole move.

“Instead, what I did was tell them that, if they are the ones who will be laid off, we will be halting new hiring to begin with and try to transfer them to other areas of the government – relocation expenses paid for – and if we cannot find them new work internally, then we’ll give them enough severance pay to last six months and training to accommodate their new jobs.

“Yes, it will cost significantly more money than just dropping them completely, but I would rather not be a dick to people who don’t deserve it. These are people with families to care for. Saving all this money doesn’t matter so much if you’re screwing over a bunch of people – that’s something I learned from you.”

He was taken aback by him actually rubbing off on her a little. “I’m impressed.”

“Really?” the elf asked, equally surprised to hear him say that about her. There were numerous things they never saw eye to eye on. She sometimes thought that he was way too soft on people, while he, on the other hand, thought that she was at times too harsh.

“Yeah, you didn’t have to do that. There’re many different things you could’ve done, but you believed that helpin’ the people was more important. It counts for a lot.” He smiled warmly. “I always hear lots of leaders saying how their people support them or have their back or whatever crap they come up with to say that they’re oh so popular and that works well and good sometimes…but, they forget that they’re the ones with all the power and resources and they should have their people’s backs in return. That’s what makes this whole big thing work.”

“I see your point,” she answered and nodded. “It’s what takes to be an effective military leader after all, too.”

“Pretty much,” he responded, speaking from his own personal experience in moving up through the ranks throughout the decades. She also had the same sort of experience when she started her career solo and worked up to leading her own band of mercenaries. “You and I both had large amounts of leadership experience before getting this job, which I think has helped us immensely.”

“What would you say about Alak who lacks it entirely?” Siri had always been a little disappointed that he hadn’t chosen a military path as so many others around him did and felt that it would have served him well when leading the colony and any future endeavors. But he didn’t. Such was life.

“He’s got a good start, I think. He knows how to handle all the issues of the colony, he’s building the cities up and out, and he’s not blowing the budget either…and probably one of the more important things is that he knows when he’s not up to snuff on things and either finds out more about the problem or asks someone for advice.”

“I agree there.” She nodded. “I just do not feel as if he has had a proper trial by fire yet – a real crisis. Yes, I am well aware of his misadventures with Calavyr, the situation surrounding his genetic memories, but those were mainly personal problems – none of which involved doing anything in any official capacity. He’s not had a serious event where millions, perhaps billions of lives were at stake; he’s not had that decision that sets the course for an entire nation.”

Jack arched a brow. “You’ve obviously thought quite a bit about this, so what’d you have in mind?”

“Simple. Increase his involvement in the decision-making around here. Send him out to converse with foreign leaders as an actual member of this government and not merely the head of a small colony. I do not wish to yank him out of being a governor, mind you; I’m well aware he loves his job, but he needs to be more active here. I thought the arrangement we had prior to your retirement went rather well. Shiran handled the details, you handled the big decisions, while I traveled abroad for the various events and such, and then we switched roles from time to time. I would like to attempt something similar with Alak.”

He considered the idea very carefully for a few moments. “Sounds like it’d work. Pose it to him and see what he thinks of it.” There was then a brief pause as he realized he was starting to speak like he was still in power. Ah, old habits certainly die hard. “Now, what about Arielle?”

Instantly, a frown came over Siri’s face and she snarked. “Her? Put her in charge of the department of acquiescing…” But she then abruptly stopped what she was saying, realizing that she was about to start ranting off, and sighed. “Sorry…I know. I have to hold my tongue.”

“And here I thought your relationship improved after your little fight,” he remarked.

“Barely. Oh, she proved that when pushed hard enough she’ll actually take action, but it shouldn’t come to that. One ought to be willing to stand up for themselves and fight regardless of the circumstances. None of this ignoring the problem or putting up with it until it goes too far, like with her parents.” That was the most frustrating part about it all. The elf dealt with her problems before they became too much of an issue or, if it was too late for that, simply met them head on, while she felt that Alak’s fiancée, on the other hand, usually ignored the problem until it went away – which it usually didn’t.

Jack was well aware that his wife would never truly let this thing go, unless Arielle tried to change the way she reacted towards these situations, so there was little point in arguing with her over it. Sure, he could protest, but she would fume and continue to subtly harass the woman when he wasn’t around. She was like that, and that he just put up with. “Still don’t like her methods, eh?” he asked, continuing to pick her mind. “What about Alak’s?”

“He needs to be smacked upside the head for it, too. It should have been nipped in the bud when it first became a problem, but now, it has festered for god knows how long. Mark my words: not solving it completely will come back and bite them both in the ass.”

“Except her parents have nothing left; they’ve lost it all,” he pointed out.

“Exactly my point.” She nodded. “Compare it to protesting. You are middle class, have a relatively decent paying job, care for a nice family, and maybe have partly paid the mortgage on a house. Do you want to risk that all, find yourself under arrest and charged with some crime if the protest goes bad, or possibly get injured or killed all in the name of protesting some injustice? No, you’re content with what you have and you fear losing everything, thus you will play it safe. Now, look at someone who has no job, no savings, no family, and no home. They have nothing more left to lose but their lives. At this point, why would they not just go all in? They see her living rather well and living happy, while they continue to flounder in their misery with barely a thing to eat. Just make one last hurrah and suicide bomb them or gun her down from afar.”

Jack stared blankly towards Siri. “I hope to god for their sakes that you’re wrong, very wrong.” And yet despite his wishes otherwise, he knew that what she said was still possible, unfortunately.

“As do I, but I don’t believe I am, namely because I was in the very same position as they are, in many respects. Nearly everything was taken from me before my very eyes, yet I remained alive and sought out my revenge upon them. It was all I thought about until the day I finally made them suffer for it.” He still appeared rather concerned by this and what all she was saying hadn’t helped in the slightest. “Alak can handle himself, mostly. Anything more than that, I have my methods of helping. Besides, their target would doubtfully be him, unless he somehow manages to get in the way.”

Jack slumped back into his seat, rubbing his forehead in aggravation. “Oy, it’s always something, isn’t it?”

“Always is, always will be.” She placed a hand upon his free one and rested her head upon his shoulder. “That is what happens when we have positions such as these; bullshit is attracted to us like moths to a light. You should be grateful you’re out of the woods now.” Then, seeking a way to turn his attention away from that dreadful discussion, she abruptly changed the topic and asked, “By the way, what have you been doing with your free time now?”

Relieved for the respite, he visibly relaxed and smiled. “Oh, spent some time with Alak the other day, and Shiran, and a few other folks that I’ve known over the years. Been fishing a whole bunch. It’s actually been rather nice. I think the biggest decision that I’ve had to face was what to have for lunch. A baloney sandwich actually, but it was missing some onions.” He winked. “You know how that can put a damper on your day.”

“Ooh, what big plans!” she said teasingly, gently poking him in the side.

“Ow! You know it,” he faked a flinch and chuckled. “But really, I like it. It’s been a long, long time coming and it’s something that I’ve been planning for ages now.”

“You didn’t get a chance to do anything of the sort back while you were working?” While it might have seemed odd for her to ask such a thing since the two were indeed married, with the usual workload they faced, either one or the other was off traveling or doing something else that occupied their time, so they were often like ships in the night, just maybe meeting one another for dinner during the week. Sometimes Jack would have some time free, but often Siri was on the other side of the country, world, or even galaxy to him.

“I did, but there was always that dark cloud hanging over everything. You couldn’t waste too much time doin’ these things; there was work to be done. You couldn’t be too out of reach in case there was an emergency. So vacations were just plain rare.”

“Now you have the time. Enjoy it. You deserve it. Let me worry about everything else that’s going on.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Thanks.” Smiling warmly, he kissed the top of her head. “I love you, dear.”

“I love you, too,” she answered back.

And with that, the couple gradually returned to what they were doing from before: Siri continued to plug away at devising a solution to her necromantic problem, while Jack simply tried to finish reading the day’s newspaper. They chatted every now and then, just some basic small talk about various topics, but as the night progressed, the two passed into a quiet slumber together, against each other there upon their cushiony sofa.

----

With the sun barely peaking above the surrounding forests and through the old, wavy panes of the mansion’s windows, bathing everything in a light blue glow, Siri had risen early, leaving her husband still resting there. Mornings for her were the same old routine – get the coffee pot going, take a nice long hot shower, make sure that she’s decently dressed for work, nurse the piping hot, freshly-brewed mug while reading through the day’s messages and reports on her datapad, and then eventually head on off to work.

She returned from the shower to find the kitchen strangely empty. Odd, she thought. Jack is usually up by now. Even in retirement, he still managed to wake up at a fairly early time, partially because of his military experience and because it was simply too difficult to not keep up with the same thing that he had been doing for the past ninety some years.

Maybe he’s sleeping in for once? Carefully sipping from the mug, so as not to spill it as she made her way back through the house and into the library, Siri found him still sitting there upon the couch, apparently asleep. Sitting like that is going to make him hate himself when he finally gets up. She grumbled, setting her coffee down on a nearby end table, and started to nudge him to get him to lie down to avoid hurting his back, but he didn’t stir.

“Jack…Jack…” she repeated several more times, pushing him some more and frowning. “Come on…” That usually either got him to scooch on over in bed or stop his damned snoring, but here, strangely, nothing happened. He remained seated perfectly still and had yet to make a sound.

That was when the old familiar fear began creeping into the pit of her stomach, her heartbeat quickened, and that sense of panic started to seep in. She started shaking him more vigorously, hoping that he was simply in an incredibly deep sleep and pleading him to waken. “Damn it, Jack, wake up!” But still he did not move.

Did he…? She knew that there was only one thing that could alleviate her worries, but that one thing would settle it for once and for all and a part of her was not sure if she wanted to face that. Siri’s hand trembled as she reached out and placed her fingers alongside his neck.

Nothing.

His skin had gradually cooled, no longer holding the same heat that it had when she had snuggled up against him those many hours ago. No! No! her mind shouted, not willing to accept his fate, but inwardly she knew that he had been gone for far too long for anything to revive him. Still though, she laid him down flat upon the sofa and attempted to administer CPR for a few moments, but to no avail. In frustration and a last ditch effort, she placed her hands upon his chest and delivered several blasts of electricity into his body, acting as a sort of defibrillator. His body jolted a few times, but still, nothing happened.

With the ever increasing weight crushing upon her mind, it had begun just turning everything off, emotionally shutting down and severing itself with what was going on in the world around her – all to deal, or not deal rather, with the fact that she was powerless to do anything and that there was no one that could be blamed either. He had simply passed peacefully into the next world. There was no one to take revenge against, no grand scheme that could bring him back, nothing that she could turn to where she could find solace.

The elf slumped down next to him upon the floor, tightly grasping his hand in hers and just sat there, blankly staring off into the distance.

----

Terminals of varying sizes were used all over the nation for things such as making credit card charges, checking the balance of one’s bank accounts, and renewing a driver’s license or passport. In some circumstances, emergency message could be broadcast through them, like notifying the public that there had been a child abduction or a hurricane would be coming their way. But today, across the country, from large bustling department stores in the capital city to lonely outposts on cold, dead worlds, a simple message came through, letter by letter.

Code: Select all
FMR CHAIRMAN O’NEILL DEAD AT 109

OOC: And that's that - a thread that somehow managed to take me about 8 years to get worked out and written. If you're interested in doing something in particular with this, toss me a message; if you want to just poest condolences, go right ahead. I've got a few more poests that I'm planning on making.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S-14
Secretary

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby S-14 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Speech as broadly understood in anthropomorphic thought was incomplete. The audiolfactororadiovisual language was more complex and, by that nature, more complete. They could have simply thought wirelessly at each other, but for something like this the OverCoordinators preferred to discuss things with their full attention and total nuance. Thus was the penalty for dealing with Hives-That-Are-Not-Hives.

Is this a threat?

That's always your first concern, sister, but I understand well enough. Our endoskeletal Hive-cousins get... strange when some of them die.

Strange, cousin?

They feel... strange emotions.

"Grief," cousin.

The tips of red antennae tap together slowly. That's great, but a name doesn't instantly mean something.

...True. Blue antennae follow the gesture. Cousin AdminCoordinator, your perspective?

It is a highly variable anguished sensation associated with loss, usually of something greatly desired.

So it's anger, then, comrade cousin. This could be a security threat to the integrity of our Hive-That-Is-Not-A-Hive and from there to the security of our Hives by association--

Yes, anger can be a part, cousin WarCoordinator, but it is extremely... personalized. Usually it is described as an extreme sadness, which is itself a lasting sensation of disappointment. Imagine if you had an unfulfilled need, and that need went unfulfilled for an extended period of time, and there was no substitute for it, and you could not adapt to the disappointment so that it grew over time. Sadness is the growth of disappointment; grief is an extreme disappointment of sudden onset.

Quite a few antennae of different colors swirled slowly.

The best I can think of is asphyxiation.

Me too, sister.

That is more associated with panic in endoskeletals.

I know, and I know what that's like, so I'm guessing it's the wrong association.

Panic can be associated with grief, but it is more of a... comorbidity. My apologies, sisters and cousins; it is the best analogy I can offer. To actually answer your question, WarCoordinator, there is an increased stability risk in times of widespread grief, yes, but that too varies from culture to endoskeletal culture.

Endoskeletals and their spited variability.

You speak for us both, cousin SciCoordinator. It's amazing they get anything done.

But these are Hive, and if Hive is hurt, then we are hurt by identity.

No one questions this; there is only the smell of assent. So this is the howls of the beasts in the forests when they lose one of their own?

A better analogy, perhaps. Expand, cousin EcoCoordinator.

The reaction of beast-herds to individual-loss also varies from species to species, each to their own kind. Our primate-analogs are of similar kind to their primates. Their reaction peaks in nearness to the loss, by blood and kin, decreasing like a ripple through the troop.

An evolutionary response to genetic loss, or of herd utility?

Both. Those most closely related are clawed by both; those most distant only by the latter.

Endoskeletal herd-instincts in their proto-Hive constructs are complex, however, due to their combination of artificial structures built on an imperfect understanding of their organic foundations and emergent principles of autonomous actors acting due to similar internalized rulesets.

Hence the difficulty in predicting to any degree of accuracy the response to this event. We should not overreact, however. Even given the Northrup-Grumman-Hive-That-Is-Not-A-Hive's recent instability I doubt that chaos will result, at least not at a basal level as in the recent instability. There is a greater risk of command structure instability.

But he was... not functional.

"Retired."

A wry scent.

In what they call "official," this is true. However, they, like us, take advantage of organic and emergent power structures as well in modes of action they call "unofficial." The difference is that to us these two things are one and the same because we have no need to codify power or relationships. He was probably still active in an organic sense, albeit at a much lessened activity level. The impact of his loss will be dependent upon how active he was, how important was his role, and the structure's ability to adapt to his absence.

So... what do we do?

We offer our condolences.

A great deal of antenna tip-tapping.

We say that we feel what they feel.

That is... a ruse.

It is a lie, yes, but it is the culturally sensitive response and it allows us to establish ourselves as available to offer support as needed.

Not that it always works; recall Imperatrice Nathicana D'Aquisto.

As I said. Unpredictable.

Navy - AdminCoordinator
Blue - SciCoordinator
Red - EngCoordinator
Crimson - WarCoordinator
Green- EcoCoordinator
Gray- TechCoordinator

To Chairwoman Siri O'Neill:

We are saddened by your loss and offer you our condolences. The Coordinated Pan-Norm Hives collectively and I personally stand ready to offer support in whatever ways we can provide, to our valued friends and bonded allies. Please do not hesitate to make use of us at the need of you and your people.

In empathy,

AdminCoordinator 67521
Coordinated Pan-Norm Hives

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:00 pm

It’s surprising how a message, destined for one individual, could pass through the eyes and hands of so many more. That had been the fate of the AdminCoordinator’s condolences. Bits of code had been transmitted across the galaxy, meeting one of the Grummian government’s deep-space telecomm receiving platforms. From there, its prioritization ratcheted up for immediate attention at the capitol building in Hawthorne, but soon found itself being bounced back to whatever diplomatic staff handled S-14’s affairs. However, from there, it was knocked back once more to the capitol, only to find itself being redirected to the Martian governor’s office, who then promptly forwarded it to the Department of Foreign Affairs central office in Wilmington. They forwarded it back to the capital again, but this time to the Office of the Vice Chairman. It was then stripped of all the headers it managed to accumulate over the past several hours and shoved onto the Chairwoman’s computer terminal, restricted from being ping-ponged around without containing some response to the sender.

It was then, at around three in the morning, a single, succinct response, devoid of the usual frivolities that usually infested governmental messages, made its way back through the telecommunications network and into the transmitter to be returned to S-14 - though this time, at least, its path had proceeded in a more direct route.

Code: Select all
Thank you for your kind words and offer of assistance.

I appreciate it.

Gratefully,

Siri

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 pm

It had only been a few days since they first heard, but Grummian nationals from all across the galaxy started streaming back into their homeland. The death of their beloved leader had taken them completely by surprise. He had watched over them for so long, for most of their lives, and they could not imagine that there would be a time when he wouldn’t be around. Even in retirement, they expected that he would still be pulling strings behind the scenes, making sure that everything was being taken care of. Now, though, he was gone. Across the land, non-essential businesses closed up shop for the time being, essential ones adapted to a limited schedule, schools released their students, and any trips abroad were abruptly canceled. The entire nation simply ground to a halt as everyone’s focus turned inward as the long period of mourning began.

Well aware that having a procession be limited to the confines of the capital city would result in immense overcrowding and that this was such a rare event, the funeral’s organizers had decided that the procession would start in the out in the Criun System, the first settled extra-solar system, and gradually make its way back to the mainland by order of each colony’s founding, stopping at each one for a day so that people could have the opportunity to pay their respects.

The first stop had been P3X-719 – a world that appeared almost untouched by the ravages of heavy industry and urban sprawl unlike the homeland. There had been strict guidelines imposed at its founding to control the amounts of pollution spewing into the atmosphere and where each building could be constructed, including a ban on all carbon-based fuels. Instead, an extensive elevated monorail system using maglev propulsion spanned the entire city and connected all the other cities of the planet together and automobiles either used electric batteries or hydrogen power. Amongst the lush green forests the comprised most of the planet’s surface was Nocovia, a city of sixty million. Some remnants of the original colony remained in place – utilitarian concrete and steel structures had been built well enough to avoid demolition – but they were overshadowed by the towering ornate blue and silver skyscrapers of metal. In the center of all of this was an open courtyard, containing the casket and surrounded by fountains of crystal clear flowing water and hanging flowering vines.

The second stop was P4X-582, a planet whose climate trended towards being mostly tropical, which happened to be experiencing its wet season at this time. Torrential rains poured from the heavens, drenching anyone who might have been foolish enough to be outside, but fortunately, the architects of the capital city of Rosenhayn had the foresight to design the city to be elevated far above the dense woods below, linking the city’s towers with covered walkways to protect people from the elements. Here, the casket laid upon a suspended platform connected to four towers in the central part of the city, shielded from the rain with another platform with the very same design.

The third and final stop in the Criun System was Chimmera. Pelliamen, the capital city, was constructed around and into a mountain with one of the newer city-ships nestled right into its hollowed-out peak and with individual buildings dotting its slopes. At the lower elevations, conifers provided the only source of greenery but most of the top was barren and snow-covered. It was the middle of winter so frigid winds made walking above the surface incredibly difficult, but there was little reason to ever do such a thing, because a sizeable portion of the city was inside the mountain. The casket laid in repose here within a dome of refracting glass, designed to take what little light there was beaming in from outside and scatter it everywhere inside, so that it would be more visually appealing than just windows showing nothing but grey and white outside.

Delays were quite frequent in moving the casket between the various planets, namely due to the sheer numbers of mourners that had turned out. No one wanted to deny these people the opportunity to say farewell to their beloved leader, so the viewing times had been extended as needed. By the time the casket was ready to be transported back to Sol, the whole procession had been delayed by two days, but again, that was not a problem and everything continued as originally planned. Instead of using the smaller interstellar gate network to near instantly appear at the next stop, the NGSS Jack O’Neill and its fleet, which was ordinarily stationed around Earth, escorted it through the ship-based gate system. The NGSS Siri O’Neill met it on the other side and the fleets merged together seamlessly, with the two fleet flagships side-by-side as they headed towards the inner solar system.

Mercury was the first stop upon arriving in Sol, particularly the colony of New Sonne. The city was the second prototype city-ship, which maintained its shields night and day to guard against solar radiation and heat and was heavily plated in the event of failure. It was originally a research colony to study the effects of such an extreme environment on the ship, but it had, over the decades, expanded, mostly below-ground, into a colony of approximately eight hundred thousand people, who for some unknown reason thought that such a place would make an excellent home. As it was originally designed around research and not comfort, the chamber where the casket laid was very much barren, almost like the interior of a twentieth century warship, and as the colony possessed no large contingent of military, mainly due to space restrictions and the lack of a need for one on such an unpleasant world, the police donned their formal uniform and stood guard over it.

On the morning of the sixth day, the casket had finally made its way into the gate terminal of the Martian colony’s capital of Valacirca. Alak, Jack and Siri’s son, had spent much of the morning down with the people passing through, as his residents had requested that he be there for them to express their condolences. Now, though, he slumped into a bench on the upper mezzanine level, separated from the people paying their respects below. He loosened his suit’s tie and sighed, tired from being on his feet for the past few hours.

“How are you feeling?” came a voice from behind, and he looked back to find an old friend of his, Amanda Harris, commander of the entire Grummian space fleets, standing there, cocking her head to one side.

He shrugged. “Hangin’ in there, I guess…”

“Good, good,” she answered, avoiding the elephant in the room for the time being. “…Seems a fair number of people turned out.”

“Yeah.”

Settling down onto the bench beside him, Amanda joined Alak in watching the mourners pass through. “How long have you been down there?”

“All morning,” he answered simply yet again.

She cocked her head again and looked at him curiously. “What made you want to do that?”

“There were…requests that I be there. Folks wanted to pay their respects, of course, but they also wanted to express their condolences to me in person, rather than by message or whatever; they felt they wouldn’t get a chance otherwise with the crowds back in the capital—“

“Makes sense.” She interjected, attempting to keep things positive…well, as positive as they could be in a time like this. “Plus, I would imagine that with how personable and accessible you have been with your governing that you – and your father – are all considered a part of their families.”

Alak nodded. “Yeah, and Arielle kept prodding me to go, kept arguing that it would be way better to be over here being somewhat social than brooding in the office.”

Amanda raised her eyebrows. “She does have a point there.”

“Mm, I suppose,” he replied reluctantly. “I wouldn’t have been here otherwise.” Or just about anywhere else around here, actually, but he wasn’t about to admit that he wanted to run away from it all.

He didn’t have to say it because she knew him like a book though; that was from basically growing up together and her being one of the closest friends he’s ever had. “Well, not to go all preachy on you, but on one hand, pushing through and never stopping rather than having time to grieve, to face that cold hard reality bearing down on you, will never do you any good. It will hit sooner or later and it’s far better to deal with that now when you have all of these people around you grieving with you and trying to comfort your than later on when people have resolved their emotions.

“On the other, there will always be something that needs to be done. Nothing ever gets put on hold because of your personal life, and it’s better that it doesn’t or we might find ourselves never actually getting on with our lives.”

Alak wrestled with those thoughts, not being quite sure of what he should do. Yeah, he knew that the former was the better way of handling things, but still, that was the much harder path. “How did you deal with it?” he finally asked as Amanda had such a loss in her life almost a decade ago.

“It was difficult at first,” she answered, gazing off across the room and thinking back to those times. “I frequently laid there in bed at night wondering what was the last thing I ever said to him, wondering when was the last time I ever told him that I loved him, wondering if I ever apologized for all the stupid things I’ve ever said. I started going over all my last messages to him, even the more mundane and official sort of ones, and started considering that maybe I should’ve been more affectionate and maybe I should’ve phrased this in a certain way or whatever.

“Then I started telling mom about how I felt, and she started talking about how he kept drawings and letters that I had written him when he was away throughout my school years, and then I realized that, yes, I never had the opportunity to tell him everything that I felt, but that was not as big of a deal as I thought. He knew how I felt in the end and I knew how he felt, and that’s all that mattered. Nothing more needed to be said.”

Alak leaned forward, resting his arms on his legs, and sighed deeply. “I suppose you’re right, but I gotta admit that it doesn’t make me feel that much better. I mean, it makes sense mentally but…” He hesitated. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright; I understand. I had someone tell me the same thing I’m telling you, but I felt exactly the way you do.” She smiled warmly and patted his shoulder, not at all condemning him for sharing his feelings. “Maybe it won’t help now, but it will later. Just takes time is all.”

“Time…” he repeated, rubbing his face and dreading the healing process, but the loud buzzing of her communicator disrupted his thoughts.

“Looks like duty calls.” She silenced it and rose from her seat, tugging at her uniform to smooth out any bunching that might have occurred from her sitting.

Before she had a chance to leave, he added one last thing. “Hey, ‘manda…thanks,” he said, grateful that she had taken the time out of her busy schedule to spend time with him.

“Anytime.” She smiled, as she turned towards the shuttle bays. “You know where I am. If you ever need to talk, just give me a ring.”

----

“So how is she?” Sarusa asked Shiran, the Vice Chairman – both of whom stood just outside the closed door that led into Siri’s office.

He tucked his hands behind his back. “She remains here day and night without much care for what goes on beyond these walls. I have yet to make progress in persuading her to leave. Perhaps you will have better luck.”

“I hope so.” The elven woman frowned and nodded, noting inwardly that she had not ever seen Siri in such a state. Usually she handled loss in a different manner, normally involving plenty of violence of bloodshed, but this introverted and work-focused state she was mired in differed so greatly from her usual demeanor.

She lightly knocked at the door and was greeted by a flat “Enter” coming from the other side. Upon entering, she noticed that Siri had not even bothered to look up from her paperwork or really even acknowledge the other woman’s presence.

To someone who had not known both of them personally, one could immediately recognize the similarities between the two: the same sort of stature, the same long blonde hair (though, the other woman’s was tied up in a bun, while Siri’s hanged loose), and the same sort of facial structure. One could argue that they were…

“Sis,” Siri finally said, glancing up briefly from her desk and gesturing towards a plain wooden rolling chair shoved into the corner.

“Siri,” Sarusa answered back, rolling it over towards the desk’s side, and plopped down into it. “I came as soon as I heard. I’m sorry.”

Siri nodded in understanding and said nothing more, but her sister frowned yet again. She started looking over her a little bit, trying to get an idea of what was going in that mind of hers without bogging everything down in a million questions and getting one word or no responses. Bags under the eyes, so obviously not sleeping well. Overly oily hair and skin, so not bathing regularly. Withdrawn. Trembling. She readily knew that Siri was in such a dreadful state.

She scooted closer towards her sister. “We’re all here for you, you know, Siri – Alak, Shiran, myself. You’re not going to be alone, ever. I can promise that.”

Siri simply nodded again, saying not a word.

Looking up towards the clock on the far wall, Sarusa noted to herself that it was almost 5 in the evening. Perhaps Siri could be pressured into leaving this place and head home for the first time in a week. That might actually get her to face some of her emotional issues with support from her sister, of course, and maybe get her into the workings of a regular well-adjusted life. Hiding out in an office and not taking care of herself was certainly not helping.

She started with the nice, caring tactic, hoping that her usual bedside manner would actually work on her. “It’s almost quitting time; how about we head home for the day and I’ll make you something to eat? I’ve got a new recipe I’ve been wanting to try out and I brought some of the ingredients from my house, and you can be my first test subject.”

Siri finally frowned and responded quite matter of factly, “I would rather not go there.”

“You won’t be alone; I’ll be staying there for a while…for as long as you want actually,” Sarusa countered, but Siri did not respond at all. “It’ll be great. We can get a nice meal, relax a little, and talk about old times.”

Right, right…always have to remember that the soft fuzzy stuff doesn’t quite work as well on her. Time to change tactics.. “You know, you always told me to not let my emotions control me, to face what bothers me, consequences be damned, and not to sit around feeling sorry for myself,” she said more forcefully. “I know you’ve experienced such a tremendous loss, but this…” She gestured around the office. “…is not helping.”

That had no real effect so Sarusa folded her arms across her chest and just said, “I will keep bothering you until you come with me or I can just pick you up and haul your ass out there. Your choice, but you look like shit and I will help you regardless.”

Siri finally relented and responded apprehensively, “Fine.”

They left aboard the same shuttle that Sarusa had arrived in, not via car because she was not too inclined to have Siri drive, due to concerns that perhaps putting a weakened and chronically depressed person in charge of a multi-ton vehicle cruising at high speeds was not a particularly good idea. Not that she expected Siri was suicidal or anything like that, but what if she loses concentration or suddenly there’s an emotional outburst? Sarusa lacked any sort of technical capability to drive either, as there were not any cars on her home planet and the shuttle’s navigation system was the easiest thing for her to handle – just punch in a pre-set destination and let the ship do what it does best without any further user input.

The flight back to the O’Neill’s mansion was a quiet one; Siri basically sat there throughout its duration not speaking and just staring out the front windshield with a blank expression on her face, but Sarusa chose not to push her about it either, feeling that this was not the time or the place. There will be plenty of time for that in the future.

After the shuttle touched down, Siri lingered outside of the rear hatch, staring at the stone façade of her own home, not really finding it within her to venture inside. She had not been here since that day, and a part of her would have been content with never having to step foot in there ever again. However, Sarusa had no such misgivings and unlocked the heavy steel-braced oak door with a clunk of the tumblers, opened it up, and ushered her sister inside.

There, darkness permeated almost every corner of the entryway and the adjacent rooms as the shutters on the outside had been closed and latched, allowing only tiny cracks of sunlight to come through. Not a sound could be heard; the dogs had been sent over to Shiran’s apartment for him to take care of and Ire’arra had made herself scarce too, though where she went no one knew. It all felt incredibly cold and lonely in there, like the house itself had lost its life.

“I’ll go run you a bath, alright?” Sarusa offered and headed upstairs without waiting for a response – not that she expected one or much of anything; Siri merely looked off to the side, not reacting in the slightest.

Now that she was alone again, she automatically stepped over and started flipping through the piles of mail that had accumulated on a table in her absence without putting much thought into it, thumbing through without having any regard to who they were addressed to or where they were from. She was simply going through the motions that she always did when returning home, as she was too dead inside to really give a damn about anything else right now.

Sarusa returned within a few moments and suggested that Siri ought to go on upstairs and clean herself up in one of the guest bathrooms before dinner. Like an automaton, Siri obediently followed her instructions without comment or acknowledgment and headed that way.

Her sister sighed upon seeing her disappear into the darkness down the hallway upstairs and said quietly to herself, “This is going to take a while…”

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am

The outpouring of support from the citizenry had made itself apparent in the days following the announcement of Jack’s death. Countless cards, from all over the country and even from those abroad who did not have the means to return home, had piled into the O’Neill’s home, delivered in sacks upon sacks from the post office. Interspersed between these were little gifts, trinkets of sorts, which people had wanted to give Siri as they recalled their fondness for the departed leader and their continuing support to his wife in this time of need.

Hours upon hours, from the crack of dawn until dusk, Siri had spent reading through each and every one of them at the urging of her sister. Sarusa had thought it best that her mind be kept occupied with something that hopefully would ensure her that she was not alone in all of this. But Siri could not find it within herself to take to heart what was being said, or even attempt a decent response back to these mourners that would not amount to anything more than a simple ‘thank you’. And the words that were written on the cards before her just seemed to be read, without a clear understanding of what all was being said.

Then, breaking the silence within the house was a hard pounding upon the front door; Sarusa promptly answered it and returned with a curious package – a hand-carved wooden box, scrollwork decorating the sides and fastened shut with brass latches. Her older sister said nothing but nodded as a way of giving her permission to open it, if she really wanted to. Inside was an old glass bottle, its label weathered by years of sitting in a cellar.

Siri instantly recognized it and where it had come from, despite it carrying no information about its sender. “Duchy of Garvin Vineyards. Cabernet Sauvignon. 1852,” she spoke aloud for the first time that day. “Ah, Movodor.”

Once, she had been rummaging through his wine cellar, attempting to find something good to drink since the fellow seemed to hoard all of this good wine but never actually drink any of it. And she had almost popped that particular bottle open until she realized how old it was and quickly decided against it, not wanting to ‘waste’ a perfectly good bottle of wine that was a little more than two hundred years old. There needed to be a special occasion for it, she felt, and she had mentioned to him that she would certainly love to try it at some point. She was admittedly a little surprised that he had remembered such an offhanded remark from so long ago.

Her thoughts were then interrupted by a rhythmic rapping emanating from the foyer, and once more Sarusa found herself becoming the doorman for the household. There was a brief unintelligible chatter back and forth between the elf and whoever the visitor might be, and soon, General Amanda Harris stood before Siri, her hand clutching both an envelope and her service cap.

“Ma’am,” the woman greeted her, snapping her other hand up into a salute.

Siri, still remaining completely expressionless, simply stared up at her, waiting for the woman to explain why she would bother coming all the way out there. Anything important could have been sent directly to the Vice Chairman, and the rest could have been transmitted directly to her datapad. What could possibly warrant a trip to her home?

“I have a letter for you,” Amanda answered the unasked question, promptly handing the envelope over.

The elf’s eyes glanced over the front, but then immediately froze upon noticing the form of the writing scrawled out on it. The handwriting…that cannot be...

“You can see it was postmarked last week,” the officer explained. “I don’t get back home too often, so anything I get piles up over a period of weeks or months. So it’s been sitting in my mailbox all this time; I thought it was for me, but…”

Siri’s name was written out upon another envelope contained within, and her body tensed up, her hands started to shake when she opened it up to find a handwritten letter in that one style that she knew far too well.

Dear Siri,

I’m writing this letter to leave you my final thoughts, which I hope will provide at least some comfort after I’m gone.

Let me just say this first: I’m proud of you. While I know you’ve always doubted yourself and your ability in leading our people and wondering if you could ever fill my shoes, from what I’ve seen over the years, you’re going to be a much more effective and attentive leader than I ever was. You have that energy and desire to do so much better at leading them, which I think will serve you and our people well in the future. Keep at it, and don’t ever let that self-doubt get hold of you again. Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do it. And don’t ever give up in fighting for what’s right.

And I know I’ve probably not told you enough, but these past three decades of being together with you have been the best in my life. I’m thankful we had that chance (and painful) meeting on your planet. I honestly don’t know where I’d have wound up without you. You’ve been the most amazing woman I’ve ever met and I’m honored to have been your husband.

But don’t allow yourself to always live in the past. Don’t always pine for those days when I was there. Don’t always feel that you have some sort of obligation to me now that I’m gone. You’re going to need to live your own life and not the life we had together. Remember the time we had, but don’t let it consume you.

You and Alak have been the best family one could ever ask for. Take care of each other, look after one another, and try not to let the little things get in the way of you two. Always remember that if all else fails, you’ll always have your family there with you.

Love always,

Jack

By the time she had reached the letter’s conclusion, Siri could barely keep a lid on herself for much longer; she dropped the paper and bolted out of the kitchen past Amanda and her sister to find some secluded place away from this place and the flood of memories and emotions that swelled up within her - a place she hoped would allow her the chance to contain it all and keep from having to confront any of these feelings.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:39 pm

“But he seemed fine when we saw him last,” Naiya stated sadly. She, Calabrese, and Pellegrino were currently sitting together in her office, going over the missive and discussing the necessary actions.

“Of course we’ll offer our collective sympathies, but I worry about Siri. They were very close.”

“She is also notoriously independent,” Calabrese noted carefully.

“Not to mention, a show of too much weakness could be damaging, in relying more on allies than they already have in the past,” Pellegrino added in his quiet voice.

“There’s no question. I’ll be going to pay my respects personally. My mother can accompany me if she wishes, and will be given every consideration should she choose to. If she prefers to go her own route, I would like a small team to keep an extra eye on her, out of her way, and preferably, without her notice,” Naiya stated firmly, brooking no argument.

“I take it you’ll be insisting on your own guard in this?” came the expected question, from Pellegrino.

“Yes. Aeturnus will most likely attend as well, though I won’t make an issue of it. He’s still adjusting to the position of consort. And in truth, he hardly knew any of them. It wouldn’t be expected. I’d like to put a message out to Alakantar as well. I’m sure he’s having a difficult time in losing his father. A good man,” Naiya continued, sighing softly.

She’d seen her own brother go through all of this in losing Devon. The young Grummian had already been through quite a bit already, in his relatively short years – relative to his racial norms at least. “If you could please make the arrangements with their people, and find out when the services will be? I don’t want to be any more a bother than we must. We can take one of the Lokis, and a shuttle for going back and forth if necessary.”

“I’ll take care of it,” Calabrese assured her. “Is there anything else in the meantime?”

“You’ll look after things while I’m out and about of course, Cesare – and as usual, the rest of the Ministry will be here to assist. Antonio, a fresh Spook circle for those going out, please. I’ll keep in touch that way, and take a portcomp for more mundane matters,” Naiya said after a moment’s thought. “I realize you gentlemen have been over this a million times, of course. But I appreciate your not rubbing it in.”

“We wouldn’t dream of it, Imperatrice,” Pellegrino assured her with a simple smile. “Not to worry, we have things well in hand, don’t we Cesare?”

“Of course, Toni. Of course,” said the older man, their eyes meeting briefly in silent agreement. Neither offered so much as a twitch, their smiles both polite, civil. Naiya was already typing up her own personal messages, and noted nothing out of order between the two.

“Well then gentlemen, if you don’t mind, I’ll be sure to get my own missives sent out while you take care of your tasks. Perhaps lunch in the large conference room later? I’ll message the rest of the ministry. My treat, of course.”

“That sounds excellent. Benvito’s?”

“I think that would be a very good choice. I’ll call in the order,” she confirmed, still typing. The two gentlemen made their exits quietly, allowing her to finish what she had first and foremost on her mind.

Dearest Siri,

Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss. Jack was an amazing man, and we were all greater for having known him. Please know that me and mine are at your disposal, should there be anything at all we can offer. As a friend and an ally, I hope that you will be able to find some comfort in your time of need, and know that we all stand with you, and ready to assist.

With heartfelt regret,

--Naiya D’Aquisto

To my friend Alakantar,

I was very sorry to hear of your father’s passing. I cannot imagine what you must be going through right now, but hope that you know that you are not alone. As always, you have friends who will stand by you, and are more than willing to offer any help you might need. Please don’t hesitate to ask. Love from myself, and my family to you and yours.

--Naiya

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:14 am

Oscillating back and forth, Siri’s feelings ranged anywhere from maintaining complete control over herself to being just about ready to break. One moment she could display that stony front towards everyone who saw her, showing the cold, deadness that masked how she truly felt underneath. The next something would abruptly trigger those old memories into resurfacing and another crack would appear in her façade as she struggled to keep herself together.

Now, still reeling from Jack’s letter, she paced nervously just beyond the forest’s edge upon her home’s property, keeping away from everyone and everything that might possibly cause another onset of grief. She wished she could get further away from all this, anywhere but here; hell, even her old homeland would have been a welcome sight instead of this. Siri did not want to deal with the funeral preparations in the slightest, much less handle the piles upon piles of messages she was receiving. She would have rather instead buried what she felt, been done with it all, and get on with doing her job; at least that would have allowed her to switch her thoughts off.

She then stared towards the mansion, her mind wandering as the dread started creeping into it, apprehensive about what was coming weeks or maybe months from now – being alone. Sure, her sister was keeping her company for the time being, which admittedly made her feel somewhat better, but what would happen when she leaves? Then what? Yes, she had spent most of her life on her own, fending for the most part for herself, yet she had grown used to always knowing Jack was there. Now though, all that was taken from her; she’d be alone eating breakfast and dinner, sleeping, and just spending time in that place.

And then her phone pinged, indicating that she had received yet another message, which she hoped was perhaps something more in line with her usual duties and not more condolences. But those hopes were dashed when she began reading it. She knew that the intent was well-meaning, that Naiya did care, and she was indeed grateful for it. Though, it was just another reminder of what she was facing. She really had no capability for anything verbose or flowery or overly warm, so when she typed off a response, it once more came off as being rather terse.

Naiya,

Your kindness and consideration have been appreciated.

Sincerely,

Siri

----------------------------

Alakantar’s balcony tended to be his preferred place for quiet reflection on whatever lay heavy upon his mind. These days, though, it seemed be getting quite a lot of use; he had spent every night up here since he received news of his father’s passing, watching the twinkling city lights below and allowing his thoughts to mull over what had happened.

This particular evening, as he reclined in one of the patio chairs, he found himself pondering over and agreeing with what Naiya had written. He wasn’t alone, he realized, ever. He always had family and friends who he could always speak to about whatever seemed to trouble him – Arielle; his aunt, Sarusa; his ‘uncle’, Shiran; Amanda; Nathi; Jon; and so many others out there. They had been more than willing to hear him out whenever he had issues he was dealing with and, in many cases, helped to provide either some advice or solutions to resolve them.

So with that train of thought continuing, he started tapping out his response, finding that this would be the best time to write something, when his mood wasn’t as dark as it was before.

Dear Naiya,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

It’s been a trying past few days, especially with the funeral finally winding through here and all the visitations, and seeing my father again. It’s at times hard to comprehend what’s happening, like you’re in a daze; sometimes you expect to wake up from it at any moment. And I’ve found that you really don’t start thinking about these things until it’s far too late. I never really thought about him being gone until now, and I miss him terribly.

Honestly though, I do feel blessed and comforted that I’ve family and friends, like you, and the people around here, supporting me through everything that’s happening. It makes it a little easier knowing that I’m not alone, that I have all of these folks here.

I really appreciate you being there for me.

Your friend,

Alak

Tarasovka
Chargé d'Affaires

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarasovka » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Lorelei, Duchy of Zoria, Venus

Vethara reclined in her chair, raising her arms in the air, stretching them. The Grand Duchess of Taraskovya and holder of numerous other titles, half of them foreign, flexed her neck to the right, then to the left, then lowered her arms down on her thighs, closed her eyes and thought. Many things passed before her eyes as her thoughts wandered off and about. Then she opened her eyes again and fixed the screen in front of her. She leaned forward, rested her elbows upon the desk, joined her hands together and rested her forehead against them, lowering her eyes on the desk.

« Dear Siri and Alakantar... » the blank page on the screen began to be filled in as the telepathic sensors in Vethara's office equipment got the command to begin writing out her message.

Dear Siri and Alakantar,

I am writing to you privately to convey my condolences for your loss. I understand that you have already read the formal statement and message issued by the Foreign Ministry. I shall not repeat it, neither shall I delve into any high flown unnecessary formulations.

I just pray to the Holy Theotokos for you, for Jack's immortal soul, for your pain to one day ease and remain but a small shadow in the deep of your hearts rather than the stinging monstrosity it is right now.

Should both of you deem this appropriate, I would be honoured to be at your side during the funeral to pay the tributes on behalf of myself, my brother the Vasilevs and of the entire Taraskovyan nation to Jack. Myself and my brother are fully aware of the Grummian dislike for all things pompous and officious and we will understand should you have reservations against such.

I pray that the Holy Theotokos watches over you and over your country,

Vethara Shakhovskaya
Links: Nation Maintenance Thread and various Bits and Pieces

INCORRECT SPELLING - DOES NOT EXIST:
Adjective: Tarasovkan

CORRECT SPELLING:
Noun: Taraskovya (formal, high flown) ; Tarasovka (routine)
Adjective: Taraskovyan

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 am

At around three in the morning yet again, a dimmed screen shone in the darkness of the O’Neill’s master bedroom. Siri had been sitting up in bed, while her sister slept peacefully in an armchair over in the corner. She was quietly browsing around the networks on her datapad, reading anything that could possibly bore her enough as she found it too difficult to sleep, especially in this bedroom, even more so in this bed. The elf shot a glance over toward the empty space beside her, the pillows still stacked up atop one another as it had been left when they had fell asleep on the sofa that one night. She could not bring herself to slide over toward the middle, despite having the space. That was always his spot, and it always would be.

Bleep

A tiny icon on her screen illuminated and flashed a bright orange, immediately dragging her attention away from those depressing thoughts. When she tapped on it, a window and a short bit of text from the chat program appeared.

<Alak> Still awake?

<Siri> Yes.

<Alak> How are you doing?

<Siri> Fine. And you?

<Alak> Managing.

There was another awkward moment of silence before another message bleeped through.

<Alak> I assume you received the message from Vethara?

<Siri> Yes.

<Alak> Alright. I’ll handle the response. Don’t worry about it.

<Siri> Thank you.

After that message, there were another few moments of silence. Unfortunately, this was not unusual for the pair as they’d always had this strained relationship that stemmed from having contrasting viewpoints on various topics – the qualities of a leader, the right and wrong times for violence, relationships, and many others. They barely ever talked at all, except for short conversations – if you wanted to call them that – like this, and that had persisted for many, many years now. While it had never ever been rectified, both inwardly desired to, but neither had been willing to make that first step, until now.

Reminded of what Jack’s letter had spoken of, Siri started typing, hoping to get some initial dialogue started. “We should tal-” but then another bleep sounded and the window flashed orange once more.

<Alak> Gotta go. I’ve another meeting I should be getting to.

<Siri> Take care.

<Alak> You too.

Sighing deeply and figuring that perhaps now wasn’t the best time for such matters, Siri flicked off the screen and rested the datapad over on the nightstand beside her, plunging the room into darkness. Now, all she had to keep her occupied were her thoughts, the pitch black of night, and that empty space beside her. She rolled over, reaching out, and placed her hand on that other half of the bed, wishing that it still contained the warmth of that man who she loved so dearly.

----------------------------

As what always seemed to be the norm, it had taken several hours and many boring meetings before Alakantar returned to his desk to type up a response to Vethara.
Dear Vethara,

Your prayers and condolences have been much appreciated; the trials that we have been facing have been tough, but with the outpouring of support from folks such as yourself, it has made it much more bearable.

We would also be privileged have your attendance at the funeral service; I shall send more information about the date/time and location when everything becomes finalized.

Thank you once again.

Respectfully,

Alakantar O’Neill

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Dream Valley Estate, South Western Midlonia

Henry, unusually for a change, was confined to land. His fingers constantly ran along the very edges of his beard. His finger followed the very edges, feeling the hairs under his index finger as it ran through it with a slight scratching sound. The teacup in front of him had cooled some time ago and he was staring off into the distance with the data pad next to him. Running around and giggling while wearing glasses were his daughters, Ellanor and Julianne. They were playing with Yewies and a pair of mechanical tiger cubs which bounded around after them playfully. The giggling and laughing caused him to at least break his reverie when he heard one of the cubs roar with a slightly digital sounding squeak at the end.

He’d have to get that looked at.

Siri,

It is with sorrow that I have heard of the passing of Jack…

That was as far as he’d gotten. He’d never been able to properly write about these sorts of things. Devon Treznor had been different of course, he was friends with Marcus after all and that was a lot easier to deal with.

His own father had gone in similarly sudden circumstances, hiding his stomach cancer from all but a very few people until near the end. Even then, he had discharged his duties to the very end and worse, managed to keep it secret from his sons.

His father wasn’t just his father of course, he was father of the nation also and it was a role that Midlonian Kings had taken on since the very first days of Godwin. They were the guiding light, the uniters the people who could stand above the whole and be the personification of all things.

They also didn’t have to worry about assuming this role as it had been the “done thing” for a very long time.

Jack was a different kettle of fish. He was the Grummian equivalent of a King Godwin. The first, the uniter, the man who had held it all together and now.

Now he was gone.

How the hell do you write a note to that to express sorrow?

His finger went back to combing his beard. It was one of those strange moments where an external event triggered the thoughts of one’s own mortality. He himself was only in his 30s, even now. But he could only hope to reach the same age as Jack O'Neill had. He was acutely aware Sarah would outlive him, the way his mother outlived his own father.

The years felt like they were passing quicker and quicker the older he got too.

Hands gripped his shoulders and he smiled as he felt Sarah’s fringe drop over his forehead like a waterfall.

“Penny for your thoughts?” She asked quietly, a slight smile on her face.

“Trying to think what to send about Jack O’Neill.” Henry replied, he leant up and kissed her softly before settling back down.

She rubbed his shoulders a little more, then moved to sit down in the iron garden chair next to his. She was dressed in what appeared to be jogging clothes, yet she didn’t smell of the gym.

“They’re always difficult, huh? First Devon, now this. Makes you wonder who number three will be.”

“Never took you for the superstitious sort.” Henry replied with a crooked smile as he picked the pad up again.

“I was a soldier, dear.” She replied with a shake of her head and another cascade of her blonde hair, which she tucked back behind her ear.

Rowrrr-squeak! One of the tiger cubs went again as it pounced Julianne and was successful in knocking her to the ground with a peal of laughter as she play fought it trying to cuddle her.

“I thought I’d call the manufacturer, try and get that squeak fixed.” Henry said nodding to it when Sarah glanced over and smiled at the children playing.

“Don’t.” She replied simply looking back. “The girls like him that way. Even call him Mr Squeaks.”

Henry chuckled and shook his head. “Never mind then.” His face dropped again as he looked at the pad again. “I still don’t know what to bloody say.” He shoved it away a little as he helped himself to a small biscuit and bit into it, clearly becoming irritated at what he was incapable of doing.

“Stop being the King for a moment.” Sarah replied.

“What?” Henry replied looking across to her.

“Stop being. The King. Just be a Midlonian.” She replied a little more slowly. “Now think of Jack O’Neill.”

Henry sat back a little and frowned in thought. “Legacy.” He replied looking across to her and tilting his head slightly. “That’s what Jack means to so many.”

“See, not as dumb as you look.” Sarah replied with a grin.

“Well I do have an excellent brain backing me up.” He replied before picking up the tab.

Siri,

During such a dark time as this there are very few apparent rays of light or a feeling of hope. While my words may not offer you comfort at this time, they are heartfelt.

While his loss is one of great sorrow to the world, it is my belief that his legacy will endure long after him.

Jack was an amazing individual, a brilliant mind and a man who was able to forge Northrop Grumman into what it is today. His achievements can only be compared to that of legendary Kings, and the love both his people and further feel for him is genuine.

If the citizens of Northrop Grumman can act even a tiny bit like Jack, then it is my belief that the world will be a better place for it.

Henry

He nodded and set it down before looking over to Sarah again. He pressed his thumb to the very bottom, confirming he had written it and sent it away with a sigh of relief.

“Done?” Sarah asked, her nose crinkling a little bit, he hands had gone inside the hoody she was wearing and she had relaxed her pose a little bit now, watching him through her fringe.

“Yeah, why?”

She bit her bottom lip, revealing a few fangs for a moment before putting something on the table in front of him. She kept watching him as he looked down and then grinned.

A pregnancy test.

And it was showing positive.

He looked up to her with a big grin on his face and leant over to grab her hand.

“When?” He asked looking to her.

“Back at Naiya’s coronation.” She replied, her grin widening under her fringe as she tilted her head down a little.

“That was quite a wild night.”

“Going to make the household wilder now though, isn’t it?” She replied with a slight laugh.

He squeezed her hand and she reciprocated and he chuckled a little, then called for the children to come over. They came tumbling as the tiger cubs bounded around with them, laughing.

"Your father and I have some news..."

Life has to plough on regardless sometimes.
Last edited by Midlonia on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 am

Departing from Mars, the casket made its way through the interstellar gate network into the terminal within the city of Wilmington that lay right on the western coast of the Grummian mainland back on Earth. There it spent three days in the second largest city of the nation before being sent eastward via high-speed maglev, visiting each of the less major cities along the way for about a day each.

Around four in the morning on the nineteenth day, under the cover of darkness, the streamlined black train pulled into the old Federal Revival styled station in Chesterfield Heights, a quiet suburb just beyond the cliffs of Hawthorne. With an honor guard present containing members pulled from every military branch, the body carefully detrained and was transferred onto a wooden caisson for preparation for the final leg of the procession.

Later on that morning, as the sun shone brightly just above the horizon, its gleaming light shimmering across the waters of the bay, between the cavernous buildings, and down Centennial Boulevard – the traditional entrance into the grand city – the atmosphere was of solemn reverence as the mourners lined the street, patiently waiting for the procession to arrive. Armored vehicles, from tanks to APCs to small trucks, parked at each of the intersections along the way to block any sort of traffic from interrupting – not that anyone would have dared – and to allow the servicemen and women the opportunity to view the proceedings.

As always, the event had been kept to its simplest as was the Grummian custom; the culture never seemed to mesh well with extravagant displays, even more so when it came to a grief-ridden moment such as this. Straightforward and unembellished with the focus being upon the one being remembered and honored was much more preferable. At the forefront of the procession was the horse-mounted color guard holding the blue and white flag of Northrop-Grumman at the forefront, followed by those for every branch of the service, the City of Hawthorne, and finally the cities and colonies that were passed through over the past nineteen days.

Following not too far behind them was the caisson hauling the flag-draped casket, pulled by a six-member team of chestnut-colored horses. The scraping and clacking of the wooden wheels and the striking of each horse’s metal shoes could be heard against the pavement, proving the only real source of sound in the vicinity, as the mourners watched it pass by, their heads hanging and many in tears.

In most instances for a funeral, a limousine, carrying the immediate relatives of the deceased, would come next, but they and their close friends had elected instead to gather several blocks down from the gates of the capital complex. Siri stood in front, wearing a full-length black dress that covered everything but her face, which was concealed by a veil, and her hands, which were gloved. On one side of her were Alak and Arielle, his fiancée, and on the other was Sarusa. Behind them were Amanda, Shiran, and Ire’arra, the latter finally deciding to appear.

It had been well over two weeks since Siri had seen her husband last, and catching that first glimpse of the shimmering black casket approaching her, immediately caused her to step away from the curb and out onto the pavement. She had been away from him for so long – the last time she’d seen him was that fateful night – and she could not bear to just idly watch him roll on by. She needed to be there with him, needed to guide him along the rest of the way, both for his sake and hers.

As soon as she approached the caisson, it slowed to a halt before her, its driver’s eyes staying focused ahead and expressionless. Siri ran a gloved hand across the grooved contours of the casket, as she walked around it, wishing that she could see Jack again. But here, in a street surrounded by millions of onlookers wouldn’t be the appropriate place for such a thing. No, she would have to wait until she had a private moment with him, a chance to say whatever needed to be said.

But she found that she could not readily accept that fact, despite her own conscience telling her otherwise; she had had enough of having to wait while everyone else had their opportunity to see him. While this whole procession would’ve been what he wanted, it had forced Siri to the back of the line, in a way - a place that she felt had been completely unfair to her and her feelings. She struggled with what she should be doing, whether it was maintaining propriety or going with her heart's desire, but her mind focused solely on herself and blocking out everything that was going on, or not going on, around her.

Then, two arms embraced her back and snapped her back out of her mental struggling; she glanced to either side and found Alak and Sarusa standing there with her, their heads bowed somberly. But then she caught sight of who stood beyond them. The mourners had too stepped away from their designated places along the sidewalks and had circled around the rear of the cart, a wave of people standing behind the grieving family in more ways than one.

‘…and the love both his people and further feel for him is genuine.’

“Looks like you’re right, Henry,” Siri whispered to herself, briefly relenting from her own desires, and turned back around, resting her hand upon the casket. “Come on, Jack.” The driver promptly started easing the horses forward as they started heading towards the capitol.

The caisson halted just beyond the gate, where the honor guard then hoisted the casket off and carried it into the building’s double steel doors. There, Jack spent the next week, lying in state within the original entrance hall, which along with the rest of the building was gradually being scrapped and replaced with a new structure. Not terribly much more than that remained aside from a few offices, hallways, and conference rooms. The cavernous entrance itself had completely bare grey walls, several spotlights beaming down onto the casket. It did, however, have enough room to allow the millions that lined the sidewalks and streets outside, room enough to stream through in two separate lines to pay their respects.

Even here, Siri had remained nearby the casket, keeping vigil over his body and attempting to keep out of immediate sight of the mourning public. Though, there were times where that had not quite worked out that well and she was forced to step out and speak to those who wished to convey their condolences. She would have rather have been anywhere but there, but his body was here now, was her complete responsibility, and would remain that way until he would finally be laid to rest.

She ate little and slept even less, often opting for a quick nap up against a wall in the shadows of the room. Her sister had naturally protested, “You need proper rest; not standing around here every day. You’ve been putting your body through hell over the past few weeks and it’s going to catch up to you.” But her own needs were the least of her worries and she ignored such arguments. She had to be there. It was her duty to be there. And she would do that duty to the best of her ability and for as long as it took.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 am

Late in the evening on the twenty-sixth day, almost four weeks after the funeral procession had begun, workers closed off the entrance hall and started quickly placing out chairs for the coming funeral service. Normally a public service would have taken place, but that had been disregarded because Siri had not felt all that up to dealing with the spectacle of the public eye being upon her and the rest of her family. Her, her family, and closest friends wanted something that was more private and less showy, with no photography and certainly no video cameras.

And the service itself was something that the family wrestled over. It was argued that having any church involved at all would show the slightest favoritism towards a particular religion, which wasn’t ideal, especially with the recent conflict still on everyone’s minds. Besides, to rectify that, you would have to drag in every holy man to do their own service and that would get unwieldy rather quickly. So it was finally suggested to the public that they can perform their own services, if they so desired, on their own in their own places of worship, but without the Chairman’s body. That way everyone would get what they want. Eventually, due to Siri’s persistence and not giving a damn about the consequences, the family settled on a service through Jack’s home church.

Once the workers had finished setting out the chairs, the family and invited guests assembled in the entrance hall. Siri and her family occupied the first row of seats; she still remained in that same dress and face–shrouding veil that she’d worn when the procession was making its way up the boulevard days before. The friends of the family and other invited guests were seated behind them. There weren’t many overall though, as the family wanted to keep it small and simple.

Once the family and guests had settled in, the service began. Alak half-watched the proceedings happening around him – the opening prayers, the recitations of Scripture, and the singing of the hymns. The drow wasn’t particularly religious; he imagined that there was something or someone out there, but he wasn’t sure who or what it was. None of the religions he’d seen thus far had satisfied him with their answers to life’s many questions. However, that wasn’t what had distracted him this time around.

His thoughts and emotions had eventually settled down when he was on Mars, but being here now, with his father just a few short feet away from him brought them all back again. It again was difficult to believe the reason for why he was here. He’d never imagined that this would have happened. He had always expected him to be there; it was one of those constants of the universe, he supposed. Besides, his father had just been over for dinner right before he passed; everything looked alright with him then, didn’t it? Alak couldn’t understand how there weren’t any signs that something was wrong, that his life was nearing its end.

His eyes glanced over toward his mother seated beside him, who, from what he could barely tell through the veil, just stared blankly at the floor in front of her. And her, what was he going to do about her? They still rarely ever talked and now, she just rebuffed him whenever he tried to say anything or, if he was lucky, gave him the cold shoulder. His father had managed to keep the relationship somewhat amicable, but now? What was going to happen? But then his question would remain unanswered for the sermon had ended and now he was the first person given an opportunity to speak before everyone, to share his final thoughts of his father.

As he approached the podium, he passed the flag-shrouded casket and started tensing up, struggling with the reality of the situation. Everything that he was doing felt so final – his final words, the finality of the funeral itself, the closed casket. His father would be interred and that would be that; the book would be forever closed on his life in just a short while. The drow’s eyes began to tear up as he tried to proceed with what he wanted to say.

“Th-thank you everyone for com-coming today,” he stuttered a little. “I’m going to keep this short because, well, that’s the way he would’ve wanted it; he was never big on the long, flowery speeches, even more so when they were about him. I would like to spend a few moments to say a few words about him in the two different aspects that I saw him: as a leader and as a father.

“As a leader – the way most of you had known him – he was fully committed to his work, wanting to make sure that the people that he led were well taken care of. He loved them as a father would - he worried about them constantly, did everything in his power to keep them safe, and listened to their needs, wants, hopes, and desires, even in person. I remember many nights where he had stayed up all night, alone, in his study, trying to figure out the best way to solve a particular problem, and there were nights where he hadn’t come home at all. For forty years, from the destruction of the capital city and the deaths of all Grummian senior leadership that dropped that position on him, through the civil war that had embroiled the nation, the economic depression, and the Battle for Hawthorne, he had always put the nation and its wellbeing before himself. That had always been his philosophy: you must always be there for your people, no matter what happens; they are your responsibility. I can only hope that I can live up to the standards that he set.”

Taking a deep, calming breath, he paused momentarily, collecting his thoughts and trying to keep himself together; it was definitely easier to speak of Jack as a leader, but as his father, it was way more personal and certainly more difficult.

“A-as a father, he was always there to lend support with everything that I did – even if he didn’t necessarily agree with it – and gladly provide advice whenever I needed help. I could easily go to him with a problem and he’d help me figure my way out of it. I recall his favorite way was to pose questions to me to get me to think through it carefully and completely without him explicitly telling me what to do; he didn’t want to encourage me to not think for myself. He also let me make mistakes, believing that they were alright, so long as I learned something from them, keep them from happening again, and teach others the same; he felt that it would mold one into becoming a better person. I honestly don’t think I would have ever been the person I am right now without him, and I will always be thankful that he was my father.”

Alak ended with that. Whoever wanted to speak next would have the opportunity to, but for him, he was relieved that his time was over. He quickly made his way back to his seat, trying to keep his emotions in check for the time being and hoping that nothing else would set him off.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm

The service’s remainder maintained the air of simplicity with any other attendees being allow a few moments to speak some last words and to spend some time there without being rushed all that much. But when that eventually came to a conclusion, the pallbearers – Alakantar, Vice Chairman Naelthasser, General Harris, and representatives from the other three military branches – picked the casket up for its final trip. The minister lead the group from the entrance hall with Ire’arra bringing up the rear with the remainder of the family behind her and anyone else who wished to accompany them.

The casket was hauled into the half-built grand ceremonial hall in the unfinished or rather, barely began, section of the new capital building that had been languishing because of budget cuts. The outer walls, constructed of two yard long granite blocks, were apportioned perfectly into recessed sections of equal size that continued down the entire length of the hall. Each section was adorned by a large stained glass window, lightly peppered with tiny panes of violet, scarlet, navy, gold, and lime that would provide a dazzling display of colors upon those who entered. However, in its current state, instead of channeling in slightly from above through a series of mirrors intricately placed along shafts that ran up to the roof, the windows remained in darkness, unfinished, only a glimmer of their true beauty could be seen.

In one of these recesses, a large statue of Jack stood, clothed in his traditional Air Force dress uniform with the medals from over eighty years of service and participation in five separate wars intricately carved into the stonework. His hands rested upon the pommel of a great sword – a replica of the original that Siri had crafted for him upon their wedding and that he had possessed for the remainder of his life. Below its tip, which rested against the base of the statue, was a bronze plaque bolted in giving his full name and the dates of his reign and life. That plaque was attached to a drawer of sorts, which slid out to reveal a brightly lit vault where he was to be interred, preserved for all time within a device that was designed to maintain the functions of the casket for the foreseeable future.

The pallbearers then gently seated the casket into that drawer and returned to where the family now stood at the forefront of the small crowd of assembled guests. There were a few words of comfort and then the final prayer spoken by the minister, but once that had happened, the drawer gradually slid shut, closing the door on the service and, in turn, the one-hundred nine years of Jack’s life.

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Henry and Sarah were stood towards the back of the small assembled crowd, the service had been plain, simple. There was something very… Grummian about it. Henry nodded quietly at the final words of comfort as the drawer slid shut.

This whole thing seemed quite the comparison to his own father’s funeral some 12 years ago. That had involved pomp, ceremony, brass bands playing muffled drums and a piper. A huge pageant of death.

No, celebration of life. Henry corrected himself.

He and Sarah had both adopted similar, simpler clothing to properly reflect the occassion. She herself had chosen some sort of charcoal black suit that she used to wear as prime minister. It was Freestian, simple and smart, while he himself had gone for the similar, a basic black suit and a white shirt with a black tie. It wouldn’t draw attention away from his shock of red hair, but it made an effort at the very least.

The Children had been left with Sarah’s parents for a change. They seemingly enjoying the change of scenery from the regular updates they had received. They were still a little too excitable right now to handle this sort of thing and had no doubt already told grandma and grandpop all about mummy’s happy news.

Here, however, was a moment of silent reflection. The moment that finally closed the chapter of the most influential man of billions. Henry and he had never met, and now, knowing that the coronation of Naiya D’acquisto had been that last chance meant Henry felt bitterly regretful of it.

But that’s was the thing though, isn’t it? This was the time of change, and the winds were blowing strongly. So many states were now seeing changes in leadership. The Empire of Treznor had changed from father to son with a tragic early death. The Dominion had gone from mother to daughter smoothly, the Segments had a new Emperor, even Navarrok had been changed these past few years now.

Even though Jack had stepped down from leadership some time ago there was still that feeling of his shadow. That reassuring presence that he could be there to make things alright with some basic charm, a paternal smile and a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

Now that was gone, and Siri… he could see that from here that she wasn’t right, nor would be for a while.

Henry wasn’t the smartest, the fastest, the strongest of the myriad of national leaders out there.

What he was though, was a quiet reader of people. It came with the territory of his own ridiculous wealth and his management of it. He needed to be able to read a person properly in order to ensure his children’s future. That the money would be safe. His own board were made up of men and women he trusted implicitly in the world of business.

He’d seen Siri’s hesitation, the moment she’d almost run to the coffin, the look of despair she’d had and the way her family had managed to stop it and make it instead look like an incredibly touching moment.

There was nothing to be particularly done, of course. Not right now perhaps. In time... maybe, talking would help, the movements through the stages of grief would dictate that she would eventually feel like she’d break all over again trying to relive that terrible day. Some might even worry fiercely that she’d fall back onto supposed darker days, days when her civility was less normal by the set bar.

Perhaps not though, she wouldn’t defile his memory like that. Not now, not in the future and there’d be people around to remind her of that fact too.

The statue was set here for a reason after all. Jack would watch over the nation forever in a silent vigil and it would permanently tie the O’Neill family into this spot, this capital and its government as a result, even if Siri and Alak chose not to continue the mantle that Jack had set, that even now would be weaved into the founding myth and history of the nation as they stood here.

It was another thing he understood pretty well, it seemed. The concept of the tides of history. They couldn’t be fought or defied, they could only be embraced. His hands quietly folded behind his back as he watched the remainder of the vigil take place.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Epilogue

A glowing lantern swung in the darkness, reflecting shadows upon the granite columns lining the walls of the partially constructed main hall of the new capital building. Siri softly stepped across the glimmering floor in that vast expanse, her eyes focused upon the statue that was her husband’s tomb on the far side of the room.

She knelt down in front of the inscription on the base that detailed the man’s name, date of birth, and date of death, running her hands over each little indentation in the metal. Ordinarily, she would not have wanted to show her face here, but her sister had suggested, or pushed her, into coming, now that the funeral’s preparations and the procession itself had finished, to say goodbye to the man she loved so dearly.

Revealing a side panel, the elf shoved a keycard in and was greeted by the clunk of the locks, echoing throughout the empty hall, as they disengaged. The front of the statue’s base slid out as a drawer would with the casket securely tucked away inside of it. She then pressed another button, causing the top to open up before her. His body had not been seen since he had been interred, but she could not help but feel that he looked so serene laying there. After all these years, he was at peace.

Siri was disappointed that they never had the opportunity to spend more time together, especially after they reconciled over their past issues. But there was nothing, absolutely nothing, that she could ever do to change that, to get that time she could have had back. Those missed chances were forever gone. She missed him so much, but he would never be with her again.

She cupped her hands around his cheeks and gave him one last kiss, trembling all the while, but the feelings that she felt finally caused her to well up in tears. Crumpling down onto the floor, she began to sob profusely. From the front of the hall, a door creaked open and then there was the soft patter of footsteps approaching. Siri then felt her sister’s arms wrap around her and all she could do was continue to cry. This was going to be a long and difficult road ahead for her.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates