NATION

PASSWORD

Sunset: Then, Now, Tomorrow (Maintenance & Role-Play)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:45 am

RDF-Christiaan Huygens, Approaching the Unknown Wanderer, Out Past the Southern Fringe of the Milky Way Galaxy... The Late End of '183...

"...fascinating! It's very... Well, red, isn't it?" Director Vermir asked as he considered the near-crimson sphere that stretched across the center of the forward display. By now he was at least somewhat familiar and thus comfortable with 'Huygens bridge, its layout, and the various technologies available; one bridge being very much like another despite the ships that contained them being quite different one from another. Still, his preference was the two-dimensional image projected against the forward-most wall. It most reminded him of the images captured from his own telescope or printed out in the local newspaper.

"Not being completely familiar with all of the various vessels and craft popular to the galaxy, I would still say that it is something of an unusual color. And, one supposes, an unusual size as well..."

Here he had been forced to defer to the image as projected into the central holo-sphere. This showed the approaching object as being in the center while the much (much) smaller Exploration Command starship was portrayed as merely a small dot at nearly the Captain's feet - or trunk, if one preferred. With those species possessed of two or more arms it was often possible to read something into their thoughts by how they held themselves and those same appendages but for the Captain one had to pay attention to the posture and motion of her trunk - and that was a trick he was still getting used to!

"Very - nearly two hundred thousand kilometers in radius;" according to the scale presented across the middle latitude of the holo-sphere; "not the largest single object I've ever seen or heard of, but it's up there! Lieutenant Commander Win'X," her trunk snaked over her shoulder to inquire of the being who sat at the sensor console, "why is it red?"

"Paint?" came the obvious answer.

"As good of an answer as any," Vermir said with a quick smile, turning to nod together with his colleague, Mister Belriose. The Khenalian was standing in the Director's literal shadow, though the two had been in identical conversation since he had come aboard. Two hours had passed like seeming moments with the two comparing notes and constructing a shared hypothesis as to what they would possibly find. "And is it, as we have surmised, in the range of billions of years old? What, if I might ask, is its projected course? Is it, as I would now say is confirmed, of extra-galactic origin?"

With the touch of a few buttons, the image in the holo-sphere zoomed way, way, way out to show exactly that - the Local Group and then the Virgo Cluster and finally the Super-Cluster with the object's projected course and trail taking a meandering path through all of the above. Of particular note was the distant beginning of the red-marked line, which Vermir approached to study at some length.

"Hmmph - yes, exactly. These projections - how accurate are they?" he asked of the science officer.

"Baring any course corrections undertaken by the object itself, very. Nine-nines."

"That would seem difficult, though if one is building an object of this size then it seems fair to assign them a certain level of competence," Cleon offered, though the projected course expanded into a long, thin cone even as he spoke with the base just touching what was left of the most likely candidate. "But it would make sense that the galaxy it left would be the one where there was the most need to do so."

"...and I would have agreed with you as of five minutes ago, my friend," Vermir nodded enthusiastically. "But that was five minutes ago - and I suspect our travelling hypothesis has been completely debunked, as the Humans are fond of saying!"

"Which was?" Captain Kayaveola interjected.

"A worldship," the Khenalian explained. "Though I'm sure we're all at least somewhat familiar with the concept? A planet-scale vessel built around an artificial Oxygen-Neon-Magnesium star. Often used as an 'evacuation' or 'colony' ship - though this is mostly speculative, as while several have been built by civilizations in our galaxy... I cannot recall any as having actually been put to either use. Given the enormous timescales that would be required to build even one, it would seem to be of little surprise that those we've encountered previously have all been destroyed or abandoned either during construction or before they could be completed."

"These 'oxygen-neon-magnesium' stars - they're quite small for a star - correct?"

"Very - this object is certainly capable of containing one - but here it is our hypothesis as to the purpose which seems to have been challenged," he answered.

"And your new theory?" the Captain asked with a wave of her trunk towards the object at the center of the screen.

"Would you like to?" Mister Belriose asked of his colleague, gesturing the Director forward.

"I'll give it my best," though instead of stepping forward he instead turned inside his own radius and walked back to pace in front of the forward display, indicating this detail or that as he talked. "Yes - a worldship, though neither a colony vessel nor one meant for evacuation. In fact, I suspect we will not find life of any sort aboard, except perhaps of the electronically simulated variety. You see, this vessel appears to be an observatory of sorts - something I am reputedly familiar with!" he said with a fluttering laugh.

"These," he indicated the surface, which was covered in regular hexagons of small-yet-still-enormous size, "are receivers of various kinds. Light, radio - others perhaps discovered - and note that the object is rotating and at a slight axial tilt to its direction of travel. This then allows the various receivers to take measurements from various angles as they pass a given point in space, which then allows for more information to be extrapolated. However, it is more than that - it is also... I believe it to be what we might call a museum, or perhaps an archive."

"What makes you think this?"

"Because it is talking to us," he answered conclusively.

"Talking to us? Speaking of," and she turned to the communications station, "Has there been any attempt to contact us?"

All it took was a shake of the duty officer's head for the Director to engage and elaborate on his point, "Not directly though. Note that there is a pattern here," and again his massive fingers pointed to a specific set of hexagons. "These here - darker then lighter then darker, darker, lighter... Zero, then one, then two, then three - and so forth. The very simple beginnings of a shared communications reference point. I suspect that if this pattern is analyzed by your computer, as doubtless they intended, it will resolve itself into a formal system for communications."

"That makes me think that you think they are wanting us to come take a look, Director. Not that I'm objecting," Kayaveola added.

"...it kinda looks like they are hoping we do," the science officer interjected. "I've put the pattern into the system but I picked one out as well - it repeats six times and all six repetitions converge at the poles. Where there just happens to be something that really looks like a docking facility," he finished. "Might be worth a careful look," the reptilian added.

"Then a careful look it is," Kayaveola replied, pointing her trunk to the helmsman. "Make it so..."
Last edited by Sunset on Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:25 pm

OSA Fleet Command Headquarters, Ticonderoga Station, Juniper Orbit, Pinales System, The Coreward Fringe, Ares Super-Cluster... Republic Date... No Thank You, I'm British...

"...oh, it worked all right - but aside from being a relatively novel way to run a boarding operation, we also ran smack-dab into a big problem," Banneret Commodore Ead'Wyd complained, his projected image unexpectedly blurry. Except that it wasn't blurry; as Pow'Ell watched, a crewman ran past with a fire extinguisher blasting out a thick cloud of fire suppressant that was then powdered liberally over every available surface - including the Commodore.

"It did work though," Pow'Ell pointed out blithely as his subordinate shook himself out, off-white powder filling the air around the bunny. "Well done."

Ead'Wyd grimaced, "Yes - it worked. I've lost half my force, took out a good three times their number, and we've got quite a few POWs to trade around. But that's the problem, Pow'Ell - numbers! Before the Macs swept in, we were facing down a million and a half hulls! My boys made good account of themselves..."

"Again, good work. And no one actually died," the General interrupted.

Useful thing, that. What that now meant for the General was that all of the units that had participated in what was now being called 'The Battle of the Mothballs' were now experienced in conducting a boarding operation against hostile vessels by the simple expedient of burning their way into the hull with a dropship's fusion torch. Even the ones who had been kinda-sorta-temporarily made 'dead' would be able to share valuable training lessons with their comrades-in-arms.

Mostly lessons like 'don't get shot' and 'don't get blown up'.

Still, the point was that by virtue of the ISS showing up when they did, the OSA had successfully engaged and defeated this 'Final Regime' in battle; "...they had one-point-five million hulls, General. One. Point. Five. Million. I was in Triangulum, General. That's something like four times the number of warships we were fielding right up to the Big Boom! And we're running far less than that now. Minus about four hundred on that total."

Pow'Ell winced, even though he knew the truth of the matter. Four hundred would sound like a lot to anyone but the industrial ring around the system's lone gas giant put out a new cruiser every couple of minutes. Run the math out for a little bit and that meant that the Commodore's losses would be made up within the day - and that was one ring in one system. The generosity of the government meant that there were rings either going up or already completely built in pretty much every system the Republic controlled.

"Well, we certainly can't match that," Pow'Ell decided after some quick back-of-the-ears math. "And as we've seen, the ISS has that many hulls just faffing around. We fight our battles on the ground. If we were to even try to man a million-and-a-half hulls, we'd run out of troopers for bread-and-butter operations. Couldn't exactly call ourselves a paramilitary police force if we don't have any police."

"No, but what if this 'Final Regime' shows up at our doorstep?" Ead'Wyd offered. "The Pinales System. Juniper. Oh, you bet your left whiskers we'd fight them but it wouldn't be a sure thing either."

"I'll talk it over with the general staff and the Governor's office," Pow'Ell promised, making a show of making a note of it on the pad to his right. In truth... Well - the OSA had been founded in opposition to the Republic's declared 'Uncertainty Doctrine'. But after operating alongside the Defense Force and their Marines in the Triangulum Campaign, he knew as well as anyone that there were teeth behind the doctrine. The RDF would be there to defend the system and their families if it came to that. The Commodore had simply been in the wrong place at the right time...

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:22 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 48...

"...'If It Ain't Broke, It Hasn't Been Issued to the Infantry.' One of the more practical and straightforward Maxims, in my estimation. In most militaries and even in most mercenary companies, it is the infantry where one will typically find the least qualified. These are, to turn a phrase, 'the force to be multiplied'. This is not to say they are not useful as 'mere' grunts. Far from it and a capable commander will know where to put those grunts so as to have the most impact; note Maxim's 56 and 57. Or, as the Maxim obliquely suggests, to keep them out of the way."

"That said, one could also then invert the Maxim, 'If You Don't Want It Broken, Don't Issue It to the Infantry.' This then makes a case for specialization; the forward air controller, the artillery coordinator - even the corpsman. Putting specialized equipment in the hands of those best capable of using them and ideally not breaking them. There are risks here, yes, but those same risks would be double-so if one were to simply place those specialized systems into the hands of the grunt..."
Last edited by Sunset on Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:03 pm

Shadowport 'Point A', In Orbit of Urectum, The Ass-End of the Alpha-Beta Border... Republic Date 177.987.005...

...the ship that had come in looked like it was desperately trying to be classified as a Heavy Assault Fighter while retaining the displacement of a Corvette or Light Frigate. A square-nose'd hull sat low between two angular pontoons while a pair of thick winglets sprouted from the thick end of these. An expanse of black glass played at being a cockpit though it was easily apparent that - if it was - a crew of five could easily shelter under its curve. Hatches on the outside of the pontoons suggested hidden or at least retracted weapons while a ramp dropped from port to starboard between the capable-looking landing gear. Painted - to give the substance some prestige - in an experienced combination of off-gray enamel and rust, it had the appearance of quiet capability.

More interesting to her was the singular figure who was making their way across the bay floor. Short and thick, they were wearing a battered leather duster with one arm out of its sleeve and tossed across their throat like a scarf. A pair of pointed boots, a pistol worn low on the hip, and an over-large round-brimmed hat pulled low across one eye completed the look. Under the shadow of the hat she could just make out the colorful beak - blue and orange - of a lizard-like alien. A saddle-bag was slung over the opposite shoulder and as they crossed the bay urchins and orphans seemed to appear out of the woodwork to beg a piece of candy or question-and-answer from the gregarious being. Here and there a technician or otherwise greeted them and these were returned in kind with either a name or a raised, clawed hand.

Whether because her host knew where the new arrival would go or because they knew where her host would be standing, they were heading straight towards them and soon enough they had come to a halt just a few steps away, "Middleman."

"Mister Gallar," the now-identified Middleman replied in a flat robotic voice. "What bounty have you brought today?"

There was a tense moment as the lizard-folk dug into an inside pocket - uncomfortably close to the handle of his gun - before pulling out a piece of something and tossing it to one of the robot's goons. Hands that had been ready for attack or defense nearly fumbled the object and Calindra was almost ready to make a grab for it herself before he recovered. Holding it up, he flipped it over and over in his hands before examining it closely - an action which did nothing but reveal a wide, flat s-shape of chrome and hexagons; "What is it?"

"Arkasian ExoCortex. Top of the line. Already cleared for the Eien - plug it into your head and instant immortality."

"Fascinating..."

The Coatlique stared and this attracted the newcomer's attention, "Who's this?"

"A visiting trader," Middleman began before she interrupted; "From up north. Arkasian, you say?"

She put out a hand and the goon looked to Gallar who nodded with a shrug before he handed it over, "That's what it says on the box," and presumably this box was aboard his ship as he half-turned to look back at the landed craft. So far he was the only member of his crew to disembark and already her own crew was moving to subtly surround it.

"Problem with that, boss," came the expected whisper in her head. "Arkasia does have their own versions of the ExoCortex but they don't have the Eien. This guy's using the right words in the wrong ways. And..."

"And?", she turned the object over in her hand and took a closer look while the Middleman and his guest began to discuss the details of his acquisition; "...pulled them off a light freighter that wandered a bit too far outside of the normal lanes. Dumped their cargo and ran as soon as we jumped them..." One side of the flattened-S was clean chrome with a near-invisible network of lines just under the surface. These would be the fine fibers that would worm their way into the subject's brain, first connecting to and then replacing their existing neuro-tissue. The other side was partially covered with small hexagons that faded away artistically towards the center where there was an exquisite raised and inlayed rendition of the Arkasian phoenix and stars. Inscribed around the outside edge was a serial number and photo-code and she focused on this for relay and investigation by her crew back on 'Glory.

"...fresh out of the factory. Brand new. Should be worth a premium," Gallar added to an appreciative nod from the robot. "I believe so. Though you must find this disappointing?" he asked, turning to look directly at her. "You will have already had access to the Arkasian black market," he finished, his words a straight statement of fact.

"...yeah," she turned it over again and then tossed it back to the lizard, who made it disappear. "Wouldn't do me any good to buy them here only to ship them back north again."

The pirate nodded his appreciation but it was the voice in her head that she was paying attention to; "...there's something funny going on, Captain. The sensors on that boat might not be up to snuff, but they're enough to pick up a near-constant stream of communications between Mr. Gellar and his ship. Constant - except when he stops talking. I can't confirm, but I'm thinking this guy is either a fancy remote or someone on that ship is talking through his mouth."

"And the ship's crew?" she glanced up to take a quick look. The ship's ramp was still down and a fueling crew had moved in to wait patiently while her crew was now doing their best to look innocuous.

"...ah, what crew..?"
Last edited by Sunset on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:22 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 49...

"...'Every Client is One Missed Payment Away from Becoming a Target and Every Target is One Bribe Away from Becoming a Client.' Thus we see the fickle nature of the mercenary; and here I read directly from the footnotes provided," Maxwell continued, tracing a finger along the bottom of the page. "'Fortune may be fickle, but soldiers of fortune are predictably fickle. They favor not the bold, but the bounteous.' Unfortunately for their - former - paymasters, there are multiple notable instances where mercenaries have turned from one to another when the check failed to clear or gold crossed the proper hand."

"What is interesting to me is the second phrase - 'Every Target is One Bribe Away from Becoming a Client.' There are multiple implications here with only the first being the fickle nature of the profession. The second is the illegal nature of the proposed arrangement. A bribe, either the offering thereof or the taking thereto, is almost always an illegal act. This of course runs parallel to the extra-legal existence of mercenaries as most legitimate governments prefer to have a monopoly on the use of force, whether for good or ill. Thus we see it plainly stated that the mercenary who lives by the Seventy Maxims considers themselves above or outside the law - with all the risks and rewards that brings."

"Third - and this connects back to the first phrase in the Maxim - is that the idea of a contract and its associated terms and conditions are often seen as both malleable and fungible. And I would daresay that the mercenary prefers it this way. When we examine the lessons of history, we will occasionally find examines of supposed 'mercenary' organizations who fight with gallantry and distinction, honor and... Horseshit, to use the colloquial. These are bound to their masters just as surely as the common soldiery. For those that style themselves as such, their ability to follow the terms of Maxim 49 is what ultimately defines them as true mercenaries..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:24 am

Anathema Operations Center, CRUX 143 Station, Deployed Near The Kayaj System, In the Central Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy... Republic Date... I'd Have To Look It Up...

"...ugh, doing it the right way sure takes a lot of work," Bolton complained, leaning back from his desk to rub his temples with aching fingers. "But that's done. Our first class just took their first final exam - the semester is over."

Or the local equivalent there-of. After a lot of poking around, they'd decided to match their new system to the existing education system. Students who had made it through the current highest-tier of higher education with a sufficient grade-point-average had been ostensibly 'invited' by the government itself to enroll in a series of classes where they would be taught the finer points of higher government. The only problem?

A good number of the potential instructors for said courses had themselves signed up.

While both had agreed that this new idea was better than a direct take-over of the existing government, the idea of going back to school for however many years hadn't thrilled Xex at all. While his friend Ilails prepared for his first day of classes, he'd chosen instead to 'return to his roots' - travelling in person to the more remote settlements, making assessments, and evacuating those in need of such. Of course for many, their 'need' was based purely on the fact that the Holy Angel Xex or whatever their personal version of the story was now walked among them.

"And how did they do?"

"Well," Bolton gave himself a moment before swinging forward to answer Charlie's question, "Well-enough. Kayajorens like to learn - and they really like to get very good at a particular field. So most of the class aced the test. If they keep this up, whoever they are going to 'replace' will have a close fight on their hands."

'Replace' was in quotes for a good reason. Most of the existing technocracy had already checked out; either isolated in their labs, departed to the countryside to enjoy the debauched fruits of their labor, or just plain dead - often of the same cause. The plan, however, was to bring in their replacements on a semi-randomized basis with those gone-gone 'leaving' in the first wave. This would take years, of course, but with the actually-qualified candidates taking what would then be active seats on the various committees, they would have an out-sized amount of influence. That did mean the education process leading up to their 'selection' was important but there were other time constraints.

Xex, for one.

While he was level-headed enough to pass off any accusations of god-hood, that didn't mean that the rumors stopped. And with the OSA rescuing people here and there? And news of this drifting back to the Capital Sprawl from the outlying settlements? Eventually the population would openly realize they were in an actual-factual first-contact scenario and something would have to be done.

Or second-contact, really.

"These guys are going to find that a lot of the current administration has decided to 'retire' all at once," Charlie quipped as she returned to her station. "Good odds on getting into government if you happen to be in the first wave."

"Yeah, not so much for those who come after, but I suspect that by the time the next round comes around, a lot of the graduates will be looking at off-world positions. Too bad a lot of the 'technocracies' who could actually use them aren't," he declared, bending forward to take a closer look at a message that had come in. "Huh. Looks like we've finally got some progress on locating the 'gods'. Metallurgy on the pieces the OSA recovered has been linked to other bits and pieces we've found here and there. Mostly cataloged as 'Space Debris?' Junk. Mapping the location gives us..."

And he opened the attached file to show a map of just one small segment of the galaxy with a bowl-shaped region marked out that encompassed the area they - and the Kayaj System - were currently inhabiting.

"They've assigned a ship to poke around," and he put his finger at the center of the bowl, which ran right up to the top edge of the galaxy proper, "and see what they can find..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:46 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 50...

"...'If It Only Works in Exactly the Way the Manufacturer Intended, It is Defective.' Here we hearken back and forth to other pertinent and connected Maxims," Maxwell emphasized, flipping the pages back and forth to rest momentarily on one after another. "Maxim 10, Maxim 11, Maxim 20 - 'If You Cannot Shell Your Own Position' - Maxim 24, Maxim 32 - particularly Maxim 34 - and again Maxim 44 in particular - but also the recently covered Maxim 48," he finally finished. "That said, there is a fine line to walk. History is replete with instances of a military-industrial complex crafting a careful set of specifications for a particular weapon or system only to have that same fail to be what they needed when they needed it. But so too can a manufacturer design a fantastic product without user input, put it to market, and ultimately find it to be little appreciated (and thus sold) because it fills too specific a niche."

"There are indeed whole sub-schools of engineering and design dedicated to the careful analysis of a particular user-group and their various use-cases. But even these will often miss the mark - the perfect frequently being the enemy of the good enough. But to go further than that, Maxim 50 could also be taken as an exhortation against over-specialization - even by the mercenary themselves! While providing a particularly niche service often results in noteworthy revenue, the battlefield is also a fickle mistress. To invoke the classics; 'Every Marine is a Rifleman First.' Whether desk clerk, pilot, or artilleryman, this allowed the individual grunt or officer to at least fall back on that most basic of roles when circumstances required."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:41 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 51...

"...'Let Them See You Sharpen the Sword Before You Fall on It.' Here we return once again to one of the core concerns of the professional mercenary - that of successfully managing client relationships. Note that by this I do not mean loyalty to a particular client - see Maxim 49, et al. Instead it should be noted that one of the more useful functions of the mercenary, at least as far as their employer is concerned, is as a convenient point of blame when things inevitably go wrong. After all, the mercenary is loyal only to the paycheck while the citizen-soldier may be loyal to their oath, a concept of duty, or a conceit of honor - all of which are often harder to reconstruct once broken than simply writing another check."

"This said, to simply fall on the sword is insufficient - one must be seen to sharpen the sword least whatever 'disgrace' the mercenary might 'suffer' be seen as useless. Especially as - and taking particular reminder of Maxims 49 and 55 - the mercenary will be sent away in disgrace while still clutching in his hand that which he values most."

"However..."

After a notable pause to think the speaker resumed, "However - there is a hidden meaning to Maxim 51, at least in my estimation. 'Sharpen the Sword' - how does one accomplish such an act? Not a literal sharpening of the sword, of course - or the bayonet, for those with the remarkable ability to take enormous steps backward while proclaiming one's mastery - but instead the assignment of blame. Just as a parent might scold their child ending with the refrain, 'and do you know why I'm punishing you?' so too would the wise mercenary be capable of answer. Why? Presuming that the mercenary was not actually responsible for these failures..."

"These are then your clients weaknesses and it would be prudent to keep their listing close at hand..."

"For when that same becomes your next client..." and he paused menacingly, "Or your next target."

"Now, if the mercenary were to be somehow responsible? Certainly, yes - and I draw your attention back to the analogy previous and its reasoning. To successfully address one's failings, one must be aware of them. To simply take the punishment or issue the apology unaware does not take any steps to rectify the matter going forward. And it will not do to simply be told - thus the encouragement to let them see you sharpen the sword. Self-actualization and self-realization are implicitly about the self - considering and examining one's own actions and establishing personal methods by which they can be improved."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 52...

"...'The Army You've Got is Never the Army You Want'. Taken directly, Maxim 52 invokes the old adage that a given military is 'preparing to fight the previous war'. To a certain extent, this is an unavoidable truth and thus the Maxim. It is both easier to prepare for and easier to prevent those conflicts we already know about - much like there are certain topics that one does not talk to one's mother-in-law about as well as there being certain ways to deal with her when those topics inevitably rear their ugly heads. One could, of course, attempt to prepare for every eventuality but for most this would be prohibitively expensive and this would quite possibly present itself as a source of conflict. Thus the army you've got is never the army you want - but."

"But Maxim 52 does not present itself as fatal because it applies to all equally. Thus like most of the Maxims it encourages consideration - 'the army you've got might not be the army you want' and the question then becomes 'what then can you do with the army you have'?"

"...and thus Maxim 52 becomes not simply a retelling of an old adage or a point of consideration but an advertisement of services. If the army you have is not sufficient to the task at hand then why not consider fulfilling those needs through the employment of short-term contractors? You know... Mercenaries. I would in fact argue that Maxim 52 was not included as much as an admonishment to the mercenary but as a suggestion to their potential employer..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:53 am

December 31st, 2002...

Well, well, well...

Something of a placeholder? Sure. But yes, it has now been twenty years. Or at least will be in a few hours - when I came into work and happened to see a story about some author putting up a quirky little 'make your nation' website to promote their book. Created a nation - this nation - answered a few issues, moved to a new region, and... There's been a lot of '...' between here and there. Had some good times, had some bad - hope for more good times, less bad - and met some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure to interact with. Have things changed?

Hell yeah.

Almost immediately we went from slow conversations via telegram to IRC, of course - and now to Discord. From answering issues to roleplaying our nations on the forums. To the UN to the WA... Whoops. Not really ever something for me but you see the point. NationStates has, from the very beginning, always been about what we make it, not what it just was.

Let's see where we take it next.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 53...

"...'The Intel You've Got is Never the Intel You Want.' At its face, Maxim 53 suggests the ultimate frailty of the intelligence gathering services. It can rightly be considered true that much of what a particular apparatus takes in is only useful for confirming or explaining events after the fact. Thus in most if not all cases, the first casualty in any action is the plan - and by extension, the intelligence that it was based on."

"However," and here Maximillian swept his hand dramatically to the side, nearly-but-not-quite swiping all of the materials accumulated on his lectern onto the floor.

"However! While I would assert that this - the most direct interpretation - is correct, there is another that I will of course expound upon. If only shortly. Because I would suggest that Maxim 53 also exhorts the reader against the existential threat posed by wishful thinking. Note carefully the second clause; 'Never the Intel You Want.' Note carefully that final word; 'Want'. I would suggest that most commanding officers instinctively recognize the most direct interpretation of '53 - thus the age-old adage about the plan or planning being the first casualty of action and thus the importance of adaptability and flexibility."

"But I would suggest the Maxim goes further than this, warning that one should be careful of considering the intelligence that one has in a light most favorable to one's desired course of action. Students of military history will note that there have been several notable occurrences of this exact scenario - with their own attendant considerable consequences! Now, it is true that on occasion some wishful thinking has indeed been granted but on the average it has resulted in less-than-favorable outcomes for all involved..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:30 pm

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 54...

"...'It's Only Too Many Troops if You Can't Pay Them.' On the face of it, Maxim 54 is a flippant reminder that your employee today might be your enemy tomorrow if you cannot make payroll. However, like most of the Maxims, I would suggest '54 has a deeper meaning that is well-reflected in an Old Earth adage, adapted here; 'Beginners study tactics, experts study strategy, winners study logistics...' And of course that could itself be expanded to note that there exists a tier above this that studies economics, though these are usually the ultimate paymasters rather than the mercenary commander."

"The point is thus," he emphasized with an uplifted finger, "It is not simply enough to know whether you have the money or not - but where that money came from, how it will be spent, whether one has the manpower and resources to sustain the desired pace of operations, and then whether or not one will need to be creative in the acquisition of either. As has been noted in the annotations, it is the rare mercenary command which has been able to survive by simply being paid once..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 pm

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 55...

"...'It's Only Too Many Weapons if They're Pointing in the Wrong Direction'. A warning, of course - see the previous Maxim for one interpretation as to why as well as many, many others. Note, however, that the Maxim does not specify the direction in which those weapons are pointed but clearly that it is the wrong direction. Thus '55 opens itself up to multiple interpretations and uses. One could suggest it as being apropos when there is a distinct risk of collateral damage. For the mercenary company - or their employer - that will be forced to pay for damages should someone level an art museum or flood some pristine river valley, the risk of even one weapon pointed in the wrong direction may be one too many."

"But let us take this notion a step further. Oftentimes, mercenaries are employed to supplement regular forces on the field. War, as has often been paraphrased, is the continuation of politics by other means. It is thus not unreasonable for one's political paymasters to be fully concerned as to whether an accidental discharge might well drag in parties unwanted - thus widening what was initially hoped for and budgeted as a quote-limited conflict-unquote. While this might seem useful to the mercenary - quote the 34th Rule of Acquisition 'War is Good for Business' - a sudden change in the military budget may result in unfortunate changes to the employer's bottom line."

"Which seems to bring us back to Maxim 1; 'Pillage, then Burn.' Pointing the wrong amount of weapons in the wrong direction can very easily result in one not getting paid..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:15 pm

Defense Force Academy 26, Ares... Republic Date 178.904.297... Which Ends Up Being Important If You Give It A Read...

"...alright, today we are going to figure out how long the year is and create a calendar," the instructor began, hands in his pockets as he stood solidly braced against the occasional brisk afternoon wind. It was early spring or late winter, depending on how cold one preferred their mornings but the sun was high in the sky and had warmed everything to a temperature suitable for light jackets. Some of the cadets did without while others still preferred a heavier coat but all were gathered around the instructor, a crackling fire burning at his back in the center of the clearing.

"We..." one of the cadets - a young woman who looked like she'd inherited half of her gene pool from a mountain giant - started before he swiftly raised a hand to stop her; "No, we don't. In fact, we've just barely discovered fire. We do know a few other things though - we know there's seasons. We know that some days are shorter than others. We don't know about numbers though - or math. We also know there's a time of the year when the fish come up the river and a time when the deer are mating and a time when we can find ripe berries. So now we want to devise a method to track these - how are we going to do that?"

For a few moments most of the cadets studied their feet, either considering the problem or having already decided that this particular lesson was stupid and useless. Others looked around inquisitively, as though the answer might pop out of the surrounding woods but it was the smallest who held up her hand to suggest the beginnings of an answer, "Not here."

"Not here? Why's that?" though there was a smidgen of a smile in his question that suggested he knew already knew 'why'.

"Well, the fire. And the trees," she stated confidently. "You said we already know there's longer and shorter days. No clocks though, right? So how would we know that?"

"Umm... Shadows?"

"Right," the Tloqsi agreed, earning a nod from their instructor. "Shorter days, shorter shadows. But you can't see how long they are with all these trees - you'd want someplace open. A beach?"

They didn't have one of those but there was a large field on the grounds and after snuffing the fire the instructor led them to where he'd already provided a clue.

"Perfect - a big stone. Giana," and the fur-covered girl called on the giantess for assistance, "Grab some nice big rocks, will you?"

"Sure;" though she was not alone and soon enough the rest of the class had pulled together a decent pile.

"Alright, so now we can mark the shadow on the longest day and," the cadet, whose name was Qili, dropped a first stone at the far edge of her imaginary circle and then a second much closer in though not directly between the two, "Axial tilt - what's it called?"

"Summer and winter solstice," the instructor provided helpfully. The cadet wasn't from a world at all - she'd grown up on one of the abandoned Krȃng Circlets - and both the words and concepts were alien to her. "The first is the longest day of the year, the second the shortest. So now you have the start of your calendar - what's next?"

"One rock every day," a different cadet volunteered. "Then you'll know how many days there are in the year. No math."

"...and you could put down a different circle of rocks - track the phases of the moon. If you've noticed that the tides are affected by the moon - cause you already said we know that fish come up the river at a certain time. And certain tides are better for fishing," another added with some degree of confidence - and out-of-character knowledge.

But the instructor shrugged, "Sure, if you want. You're already marking down each day, might as well track the moon while you're at it. So what's next?"

What was next was a flurry of activity as they cheated a bit and laid out a circle of stones counting the days of the year as well as a second tracking the phases of the moon; "So, now we have the length of the year..."

"What about leap years?"

Again, an unfamiliar concept as the Circlets maintained a constant velocity but this was quickly explained along with a suggestion, "...basically, you can just move the rocks."

"Sure," there was a shrug. "You'd be doing that every day anyway - see how long it is until deer season, or if you should be planting your crops, or..."

"Or when the next religious festival is," the instructor put in. "So, now that you've figured out how long the year is - what does all of this mean?"

It wasn't and was a trick question and they knew it. What had been the ultimate point of what seemed to be a pretty simple exercise? After a bit of shuffling around - looking over the calendar and so forth - it was collectively silently decided to leave the answer up to him.

"...what it means is that you shouldn't mistake simplicity for stupidity. You didn't need math to figure all that out - unless you want to count one plus one. Hell, you didn't even need counting - so you didn't need numbers. In fact, you didn't even need language. All you needed was a bit of awareness of your surroundings and some simple methodology. Which means when you're out and about in the universe don't make the mistake of assuming that just because something is simple it is also stupid - though there's plenty of stupid out there too."

"I've seen plenty of both," he went on. "I've seen a 'primitive tribesman' pick up a scanner and in a few minutes of poking around figure out that they could use it to figure out why their baby was coughing. And that same tribesman pick up a gun when just a few minutes earlier he was using a club - and use it effectively. Which you are - stupid or simple - depends on both external factors and internal attitude. Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because they don't know how to work out that two plus two equals four means that they can't just use a pile of rocks to work out what season it is..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:01 pm

Special Projects Research & Development Tower, Just Outside Landor City, Terra Incognito, The New Latin System... Once Again Back in the Good Ol' Milky Way Galaxy...

"...maybe even more than a few. Or at least some ideas within ideas," Katryna decided, practically prancing around her desk. "Though definitely-probably not what the Allaneans are thinking. Cause there's something of an opportunity in a location like this," she said, pausing to conjure up first a holographic image of the Milky Way-as-it-is and then another of the same galaxy but advanced to the 41st Millenium. Setting each of these at opposite corners of her desk, she stood where she could easily compare the two. "Which is that they are basically the same except for the addition of two score millenia and a bunch of poor justifications for World War One-style warfare to look advanced and reasonable. We, of course, will be skipping that shit..."

"...by going here," she gestured, pulling the two closer to swirl the stars around not to the galactic interior but beyond the very edge of the stars themselves. On the first she tapped to highlight a number of locations that were essentially invisible. These were then similarly plotted on the new map, their future courses determined by time and tide.

"These are the various supermassive black holes that orbit our galaxy. Now, in our timeframe these are all claimed and utilized. We've got Penrose generators up around several of them, the UIK, etc, etc. Now, it is possible that these guys have but I have my doubts - and it won't take but a sneak-peek to find out. And since we already know their locations here, I can simply task one of our TRIPWIRE arrays..." she walked over to the desk, bending over to rest an elbow on the glass with one foot up and across her butt while she worked, "...to check whether anyone is already using them. Which would be interesting in and of itself. But!"

Scampering back to the older galaxy, she returned to the marked locations and watched as their status flashed up in small chunks of text beside each one, "Which - there are. Not all of them but a couple and that's pretty interesting. Might be worth sending someone to see who got up to what. But there are a few that are unclaimed or at least unoccupied, so we'll start there - because they represent a lot of energy and we'll need it!"

"'For what?' you ask? Well - I've got a few ideas but there's still some exposition left. As I said - this is an opportunity. We can do things 'here' that we can't do here or even in the broader universe," she explained, again indicating the second galaxy and the first. "People we don't like might figure out what we're up to, people we do like might be annoyed - the list really goes on. Things like testing out actual super-weapons and not just the petty trash whatever useless shit decides that this is once again their week to invade Sol tries to pawn off as one."

"So step one is - actually, step two is to start encapsulating those SMBHs. Once that's done, we'll have the power generation infrastructure we need in place to try out some really fun ideas! Such as? I'm glad you asked!" and she whisked the first two holograms off to the side.

"The easy one is a Penrose Cannon. A Penrose generator works by firing a pair of particles into a spinning black hole. Or half of a pair of paired particles. What will happen is that one of the two paired particles will pick up energy from the black hole and pass it to the other particle via quantum entanglement. That second particle is then harvested for its energy - which is what we do at our existing generators. It doesn't have to be though - what if one were to fire say a packet of these ultra-high energy particles at a target? Seems potentially messy. Something we could test against, say, a bunch of space bugs that no one particularly cares about."

"Now, it is the second one that is interesting and just a bit nuts. Or even really nuts. Because this one..." she conjured a fleet of ships, vaguely insectoid and vaguely fishlike at the same time, and started to gin up sets of numbers, "...can potentially kill a lot of ships all at once. Maybe even 'all the ships'. Now, you're going to have to follow me here but basically a wormhole is a point in space that is under such incredible compression that it bends space-time like a salad fork. Suddenly one end is touching the other and poof - you're Yuri Geller. But... Does it have to?"

"No, of course not," she declared magnificently. "I'm sure plenty of people really fucked up when they were building their first worm gates and ended up... Well, if they weren't dumb, they probably just ended up creating a massive gravity spike that tore their test apparatus apart. If they were stupid, they parked their test rig near something important and that gravity spike ended up spitting something valuable at something more valuable. Now, that's bad if it happens unintentionally, but what if it happens intentionally?"

"Now, follow my logic here. Normally a particle cannon uses 'something' to accelerate a stream or packet of particles to high speeds. The faster the better - force equals mass times acceleration. Of course, we get all fancy with our particle cannon by using exotic particles, variable wavelengths - very fancy, very neat, much kablooie. And we accomplish the acceleration part by using a... particle accelerator. Weird, I know. Also very fancy. Magnets. How do they work? You don't have to use magnets though - you can also use gravity, if you have enough of it. And with a Penrose generator sitting around, you have enough of it!"

"Now, a wormhole cannon isn't at all a new thing. They've been around since wormholes became a thing because if there's a thing, there's porn of it. Gun porn. What this idea would do is turn the target ship into a weapon - our weapon. By creating multiple high-shear gravity 'cones' inside the target vessel, we turn it into a particle beam when can then be used against nearby targets. Which if it works, means that..."

Explosions appeared across the surface of the largest vessel, followed by quick, blinding flashes of lights that streaked away in all directions to lance into and through nearby vessels.

"...that happens. Which would be bad, because according to what we've already gathered on these Tyranids, they spend all their time in transgalactic space in hibernation. They'd be sitting duck-bug-fish-things..."
Last edited by Sunset on Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon May 01, 2023 2:47 pm

Erika & Demi's House, Botany Bay, Chuh-Yu, Ares System... Republic Date 178.997.492... Closing In On Another New Year...

"...more cats?"

"Kittens!" Erika corrected enthusiastically, holding a mewing little ball of fluff up to her partner. She was sitting on the floor, bare legs curled over to the side, with yet more of the animals swarming around her. At her knees baby Nathyn rolled back and forth, pushing himself up onto his wrists to take a slow swipe at the closest before rolling back onto his belly, hand still stretched out to try and grab a tail or ear.

"And they are fosters," she added, rolling it over in her arms to pet and coo at it, fingers dancing through the soft hair on its belly. "R&D just sent them over for the boss-lady to evaluate. Or cuddle - as though there's a difference?" she asked, holding the kitten up to press her nose against theirs.

"So what's new here?" Demi asked, bending to scoop up a particularly colorful example before settling down on the couch, the kitten immediately beginning the long climb up her shirt and over the hills of her chest to stand in the valley pushing its face up against her cheek. "You already make kittens, right?"

"We do," Erika acknowledged with an agreeing nod. "These are something of a new concept or a new implementation. These can grow."

"How's that work?"

She wasn't an engineer or even a designer but Erika was and the raven-haired woman knew her partner was just waiting to explain every detail - given the right open-ended question.

"We've been able to do that already - cybernetic animals that grow, that is. But it hasn't been organic," Erika emphasized. "The skeletal structure expands mechanically in certain places - the middle of a bone, for instance. What this has meant is that there are compromises - the shape of the head, weight, flexibility. Or for some people they just end up with a ForeverKitten or a ForeverCat."

"This new design..." she held up her latest affection on an open palm where it stood, stretched, and then curled up as if to take a particularly well-balanced nap, "...incorporates an elastic-electro-polymer into the skeletal structure. That is, the bones are made of a battery that can both bend and grow. They do this by absorbing water, so they also more accurately mimic the weight of a kitten and an adult."

"By drinking."

"Yes - from the faucet or toilet or just from a bowl. The current models can 'drink'," she half-clarified, "but they don't actually drink - otherwise they'd have to pee. They just look like they are engaging in typical feline behavior. These next-generation models will be able to grow 'naturally' - and they will also be able to revert to their base kitten-state as well. That will be something the owner can specify. Faster, slower, forward, backward."

"Will they have to pee? To become a kitten again?" Demi asked, holding up her example to check for the usual equipment, "Nope."

"No - they'll exhale very humid air. Or something like exhaling, since they don't breath."

"So how how big can they get?"

"Right now? About this big," Erika held up her kitten and then reached out with the other hand to pet one of her own cats, which was currently lounging on the back of the couch where it seemed to regard the goings-on with casual disinterest, "to this big. Elastic-electro-polymers are pretty new but I would expect them to increase in capability just as everything else seems to."

"Which means you're probably already considering ways to incorporate it into your IntelX line? And you would love for me to take over so you can get down to the lab?"

"Maybe later tonight - I've got a couple meetings and some legislation to look over. But yes. Right now the water absorption rate is kind of slow and it has to be water. If the polymer can be engineered to a higher rate of absorption/dispersion, it would mean that something like an IntelRat could squirm through even smaller holes than previous - or that an IntelKitten could become an IntelTiger. Size equals leverage equals power. Plus there's the possibility that we could re-engineer the polymer to be self-healing where right now you get one or the other..."

"...which means that, yes - you're going to watch the kid for a while longer;" Alex and their two older children were out of the house on errands; "Which means I can get back to the mountain of paperwork I've got on my desk. I'm also waiting for Ambassador Fenix'Barrowo to get back to me about the situation in Fairway..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon May 08, 2023 8:57 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 56...

"...'Infantry Exists to Paint Targets for People with Real Guns'. There are several points to unpack here," Maxwell mused, manipulating his mandible before moving on. "First, the Maxim is on its face true, though there are certainly fanatics who might argue otherwise. However and on the contrary, numerous personal interactions with those in the ground-pounder profession would suggest that it is the suck and while doubtlessly important it is often surpassed in shock and awe - and effectiveness - by the later 'Real Guns'."

"Now, some of this is simple physics. While a lone grunt might have some hope of effectiveness against an armored vehicle or aircraft, that effectiveness decreases in non-cinematic appeal as the target grows in size. Certainly one cannot say it is impossible but I would suggest that at some point the overly jubilant are ascribing the capabilities of whatever weapon system the soldier is operating to the soldier themselves, thus proving the Maxim."

"But now let us shift the question to the middle ground because as suggested, 'Infantry Exists to Paint Targets'. Now, in the modern era much of that 'painting' is accomplished through the use of drones and other similar platforms which - given their ever-increasing intelligence and adaptability - are often now 'infantry'. Perhaps better - perhaps worse - but the proponents of each will often cherry-pick the best or worse examples of either so as to make their points seem sharper. As an aside I would instead suggest one heed the Maxim itself; a careful mixture of both can accomplish more than a complete preference for one or the other. And so too with the Maxim - to maximize effectiveness, one must recognize and utilize both halves."

"It is interesting that this then suggests another third element - or a fourth, or a fifth. Because if infantry of whatever sort are required to make the best use of other, more effective systems then they should be protected and supported. Thus Maxims 56 and 57 could be considered as a double-emphasis of the combined arms concept..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:13 pm

On the Elevator Down from the 41st Floor, Landor City, Terra Incognito, The New Latin System... Republic Date 179.171.776...

"...cause I picked up another job - couldn't stand just sittin' round waiten' for her to get home!"

"Oh?" Katryna asked politely, looking over at Carl in the mirrored inside of the elevator doors. There wasn't any case for urgency so she was willing to make regular conversation as the numbers slowly scanned from floor to floor rather than push the 'High Speed Service' button that was pulsing green; no one else was waiting on the car. "What did you find?"

"Can't say it's the craziest thing I've seen - not around here," Carl half-answered. He almost sounded like he was complaining but as he continued she began to realize why. Once again the differences between where he had been born, raised, and lived out his (conventional) working life were proving far different from where he'd chosen to 'retire' once he'd been deemed no longer useful.

"When I was a kid, we went to school - yeah, sure. Who didn't?"

Sure; in fact she had as well, though it had been greatly abbreviated. She'd 'inherited' a lot from her mother and her grade-school years had been her grade-school months. Then outside circumstances had opened up the universe to her and she'd been off to university within only a few years of her construction - or birth, whichever one preferred.

"Ah'n it was just what you'd expect. Teachers taught us stuff - names, dates, math, writing. But it wasn't fun or interestin'. Sure, sometimes we'd do a field trip. Load us on busses, take us to the military base or the government complex or a museum or somethin'. But this..."

"A museum sounds fun," she injected but to a quick shake of the head, "Nah. Basically the same thing as goin' to the military base - more like goin' to the recruitment center. Got to the base and they run you through the obstacle course. If you can make it through, they try to sign you up for early induction. Military school. Go to the museum and it is mostly about the great Iron Emperor and his unbroken string of victories. Funny thing that..."

"No pictures of him on the battlefield, are there?" she guessed.

"Nope - just posin' for pictures, signin' a treaty. Stuff like that. Lot of medals on his chest though. I suppose those are important but they ain't the same thing as the rest of us. I did my mandatory service - didn't see combat, but I could have. Can' make the Emperor do anything he don' wanna do."

"Mhm... So what's the new job? Teacher? Student?"

She, on the other hand, had both served and seen combat - though she kept that to herself. This was Carl's story, not an opportunity to get into the weeds with questions about whether the near-immortal could ever truly realize risk or whether her mortal service had informed her morals and ethics.

"Teacher, sorta. As I said - we'd take the odd-field trip. This is Off-World School," he emphasized. "Like, these kids get to leave their school, travel to a whole different planet, then spend the week learnin' all kinds of new stuff. I'm the shop teacher. Day one, teach em' how to use the equipment safe. Eye 'n' ear protection," and he added a gesture to his glasses. "Sure, you might be able to regrow 'em in a few hours, but you don' wanna."

"Then we take em' out to the woods and find a nice tree and cut it down, spend the rest of the week makin' it into something they can take home. If we'd have had somethin' like that back..." 'Home' wasn't really 'home' - not anymore - so he paused mid-sentence to "...back when I was a kid, we would have taken home a lot of ashtrays."

"Not here," she guessed. "Not a lot of smokers."

"Not many at all," he agreed with a nod. "Cept' I did see these fellers on the street just the other day - puffin' up a storm. Like it was their last cigarette before the firin' squad."

"From Fairway," she answered. "Visitors. It seems to be cultural - I've got a team back at the office working on new and exciting ways to get cigarette stench out of the labs."

"Oh? Anyway - not here. Not these kids. They all grew up with the 'printers and the 'typers and the nano-whatevers. Sometimes its somethin' simple, sometimes they get ambitious, but get 'em started and they're like a hog to a trough. A few of 'em have tried whittling, a few carving. I'm more of the hammer-and-nails type but I do my best and hell... Can't say I haven't learned anything either. One wanted to try chiselin' a statue an' I don't know how to do that. So I asked and just as quick as you like a fellow from some cultural exchange program came in and sat down and we both learned a bit about it."

They were long past the doors now, of course. The extended conversation had carried them out the front door and down the street to where Carl had paused, clearly on his way somewhere else while she was content to let him finish.

"Ah'n now I can add a bit of 'artistic flourish' to one of my projects - or give that pointy-eared feller a call if someone wants to carve a gol-danged hummingbird out of a couple scraps of wood..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:12 pm

OSAMI Development and Engineering Facility Kappa, Somewhere in the Pine Forests of Southern Juniper, Pinales System, Ares Super-Cluster... Republic Date 179.177.198...

"...we're calling it the 'Modular Power Armor Framework' for the time being but let's be honest - 'MPAF' sounds like something someone coming back from a four-day combination drinking-and-camping trip would say before rushing the toilet. We'll work on the name later but let me show you what we've got now," the lead engineer suggested, holding out a hand in the direction of the display unit while whisking the General forward with the other.

"It doesn't look like much," Pow'Ell answered, casting a critical eye over the trooper who had been chosen to demonstrate the system. In fact at this distance - the General standing nearly toe-to-furry-toe with a nervous Sergeant - it looked more like the trooper was prepared for a night out on the town; her uniform wrapped in corded fishnet.

"No Sir - and it isn't. This is the first, base layer," the Lead replied. "Here - hold up your arm," he instructed, demonstrating by holding out his own arm stiffly from the shoulder, hand palm-down. "This mesh is the powered element of the armor. It's an electrically-activated polymer - it contracts under an electrical load. Pretty standard stuff, really. The idea is that eventually it can be integrated directly into the uniform."

"And this is the base layer? So... I'm guessing from 'Framework' that you then intend to hang additional elements on this? Armor? Weapons?"

"Yes! Exactly, General," was the enthusiastic response. "One of the useful details here is that how much the polymer contracts is very closely regulated by the voltage. In this configuration - with just the framework - the average user would have their strength essentially doubled. Given current OSA fitness requirements, that is."

"Right..."

Pow'Ell was more than familiar with these; he'd been on the committee that had established the OSA's physical fitness requirements and like any good officer - in his opinion, at least - he met and exceeded them.

"Now, that's with just the power provided by the mesh itself. As you can see, it is actually several strands corded together - one of the layers is an elastic polymer battery. Same thing as you'd find in some of those cybernetic pets, Sir. But add a more enthusiastic power supply and you can increase the wearer's strength and carrying capacity far beyond that."

"How far?"

"That's something of the trick, General," and he pulled up a graph that ended at a suddenly holographic cliff. "The framework is strong enough to crush the wearer - to break every bone in their body. That point going to vary by the individual. Four? Six? It varies. Plus there's the question of whatever pieces you hang off it," he added, pointing to a solid hexagon on the outside of the woman's elbow. "My team has already come up with a pretty wide range of modules - the 'Modular' part - that will interconnect with each other and with the base layer."

"We've got light armor with integrated stealth systems - optical camouflaged, sound suppression, electromagnetic shielding - as well as mid-range 'average trooper' plates, heavy assault variants, jump packs... You name it," he continued, at least until the General held up a hand; "But the name still sucks."

"Yessir. As I said - we're working on it..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:55 pm

RDF-Ixutsangi alongside RDF-Ghophuqurcelph, In Orbit Over GEC-829983B, MidNorthWestern Gamma Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy... Republic Date 179.223.232...

"...yep, that's a penis;" nor was it alone. Across the blue-brown world slowly spinning towards the two starships thousands of petroglyphs, geoglyphs, and pictographs had been painted, carved, or piled. Neither were they simple; some many were, yes - but others were far more than simple lines of cleared stone. Others involved existing geographic features - an enormous aquatic creature picked out in black volcanic rock swam across a great bay along a host of other, smaller examples - while yet others invoked them. Many were natural - plants and animals - though there were notable and complex geometric patterns while others were symbols of some yet-unexplained kind.

And penises.

"Well, not my penis," Timmons clarified. "Or any penis I'm personally familiar with. But that's definitely a dick."

There really wasn't any need to describe it much further than that. Doubtless 'it' belonged to the planet's dominant species - something his team hadn't had time to familiarize themselves with yet - but what was more interesting from the perspective of his experience was why it was there at all.

"Definitely," Captain Tslbikora agreed. "As soon as I saw it, I thought of you..."

Timmons looked at the man sideways but his face was straight as an arrow. At least for all of three half-seconds. Then it cracked into a grin and the slender man gave him a quick glance before turning back to the display. Captain - then it had been 'Cadet' Tslbikora had gone to the Academy together back when it was only 'years ago'. They hadn't exactly kept in touch but Chance and Fate had decided that their paths would cross again.

"...and your team. We chased a couple of pirates into the system. They thought they could go to ground in the rings around 'D;" the system's largest world, a lusty gas giant with a magnificent set of thick rings swarming around her hips; "but I suspect the inhabitants here will be painting their first explosions instead. Once we were done mopping up, we took a look around and... Well, gave you a call. 'Urcelph is due back at GammaComm within the day but I figured this was something someone should take a closer look at."

"Especially if they like dicks," Annya said, turning to look up from where she sat beside the Commander. They were all on 'Ixutsangi's bridge though the crew of the 'Urcelph was only there in holographic-spirit rather than form. "If it is a dick - a phallus."

"It is," though Captain Tslbikora passed off a complete answer to his sensor officer, a dingy-looking Tjorengo woman who sat nearly curled up in a chair at one of the spare consoles; "They're quadrupeds," she explained, pulling up an image culled from her own ship's telescopes on the adjacent screen. "Average height at the shoulder is one-point-four-five meters, average weight is one hundred sixty kilograms... Notable gender differentiation..."

In aggregate, the natives looked something like a cross between a horse and a lion though as the average weight and height suggested they were stockier than either and moved more like a bear than either of the two previous comparisons. Fur covered their bodies from nose to tail - which was short and docile - while a thick pile of longer hair hung across their chest and both male and female genitals were surrounded by thick piles as well. Patterns from pinto to painted were common with the same being true of their coloration. Perhaps most important were their hands; short and paw-like but with the all-important opposable thumb as a wide but still flexible outside digit.

"...like a whopping great penis," Deania decided, the Seeker looking over the woman's shoulder at the image. "What's the gender ratio?"

"Five to one to two, based on available data," the reptilian replied. "Three females, one male, and a sexless third." Tapping away at the console, the image shifted to a live stream of a native village - though to call it a 'village' suggested more permanence than was obvious. A single large structure dominated and this seemed to be assembled from wooden poles with a hide covering and both lines and stakes to keep it up. At either end of the oval structure a fire burned outside, a circle of natives gathering around it to work and socialize.

"They're semi-nomadic. I've found permanent structures near or inside several of the glyphs. There are something like roads - trails - that link the sites together so I suspect they migrate between several different sites."

"Interesting. I wonder if they have a shared planetary religion... Actually, I suppose that's a big assumption," Timmons realized with a shrug. "They might not be religious at all - though these really feel 'religious'," he said, indicating the glyphs with a gesture. "Especially the huge penises. That would seem to suggest a fertility or potency component. Only way to know is to get down there and ask..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Astride a Windswept Pinnacle, At the Heart of the Falltier System, Somewhere on the Southwestern Edge of the Galaxy... Republic Date 179.225.937...

"...simple yet brilliant," Stephen - still never Steve and definately not Stevie - declared, swirling a finger upward in characteristic gesture before grandly sweeping the same hand across the workbench.

His wife cast a critical eye at the space which - for all the world - appeared to be empty. Though admittedly she would not have noticed any change to his laboratory even if there had been so much as a giant purple elephant where there had been a trio of circus clowns the day before. One of their first agreements upon setting up house together had been that they would have three workspaces - not one, not two, but three; each would have their own with their own equipment and projects and assistants while a third would be built - had been built - for shared projects. In the case of the former, these were then considered their own private spaces where the other could enter only under invitation.

This arrangement was not only personal but practical. The lair of a scientist - Mad, to be precise - was a dangerous and even often treacherous place. Indeed, the outer door to his workspace was armed with a straightforward plaque that read, 'Danger: Do Not Enter. This Will Kill You And Hurt The Entire Time You Are Dying' while the inner door was bracketed by enough hazard signs to give an OSHA inspector a case of the crawling heebie-jeebies.

Still, "What is it?"

"Ah! An excellent question my dear! Just the right question - because it is an answer to one of the more common problems that we have encountered in our lives together thus far!"

"You keep leaving your underwear on the bedroom floor and I keep finding your socks under the bed?"

"Yes! Well, no... But yes! Exactly that, after a manner of thinking!" he declared, again gesticulating wildly. "In the old days, it would have been a different question - 'Did we leave the oven on?' Or perhaps 'We forgot to buy milk!' Now, there are technological solutions..."

"Like writing 'Milk' on the shopping list?" she asked pointedly. "Or picking up your socks and putting them in the hamper as soon as you take them off?" Again, even more pointedly - though perhaps not too pointedly. The thin line between genius and insanity ran parallel to another labeled 'maniacal focus'.

"Yes but again no! Because ofttimes - if I might complicate things - we have not yet asked the question before we are beyond the point of answering it. Certainly we needed milk but the reason we needed it was not because we were out but because a recipe we were considering called for it, or because we had began a particular task and then laid it aside for one more important!"

"So what's your invention then? A better shopping list? They have those..."

"No, no," he shook his head in total disagreement. "Because these are not questions we would have even considered asking yet - and that is precisely the purpose of my invention! You see, all of these events arise after a thing is already done. We have already returned home laiden with groceries..."

Which, to answer the question - yes, they went grocery shopping. Certainly it was the future and on other worlds and in other places various technological wonders meant that people no longer needed to engage in such a mundane task. Here... Well, the answer was complicated. Back in his original lair under the statue out in the bay, she'd found him living on a steady diet of pre-packaged meals and the occasional delivery. One of the things she'd insisted on during the planning phase was an actual kitchen and past that an actual market. This was now the only market on the planet, manned day and night by some of Überlord von Deat's caninoid minions; the Überlord still preferred take-out.

"...and there is the sudden realization that we have forgotten... the clotted cream! And so the question is whether to return to the store for a single item, put it on the list for next week, have it delivered... But what if... What if?!" he cried grandly, "One could simply put oneself in the mindset of having returned home and put away the groceries? Or having left on one's trip? To put oneself in the right state of mind to ask those questions before one forgets to ask?! That, my dear, is my invention!"

"So..." Once again she looked at the workbench that he had once again indicated with a sweep of the arm; it remained as bare as the windswept desert.

"...to be honest? I put it down and forgot where I set it. I know it's around here somewhere," he decided, tapping the side of his chin with a pair of fingers. "The last place I'll look, of course. Which is another problem it is supposed to solve..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:32 pm

SunLabs Development Center, Casablanca, Ares Super-Cluster...

"...suppose you're going camping..."

"Why 'suppose'?" Cyndi replied. "I mean - I like camping. In fact, we work for a major manufacturer of camping products. I'm pretty sure pretty much everyone who works here likes to go camping!"

That was, in fact, almost certainly true. While SunLabs had been established as a developer and supplier of solar power products, over the intervening years it had refined its market segment to more and more focus on photovoltaic cloth - or solar cloth - and from there on outdoor products that utilized it. The handiness and convenience of a tent that could heat itself, cool itself, put itself up, take itself down, and any number of other electrical functions was obvious and had positioned SunLabs as a market leader. This in turn had pushed the company to maintain a large and dynamic research and development division.

And if you're not field-testing your own products?

You're probably doing it wrong.

All of which made Kyle's question a bit silly; a good number of SunLab's development staff went 'camping' almost every night - testing their own products, both new and old.

"Okay, maybe I'll ask the question a different way... What's one of the best reasons to go camping?"

Cyndi didn't even pause to consider her answer, "Fucking."

"...okay, yeah - fucking. What's another reason to go camping?"

"Um... Nature?" That wasn't her reason but she could tell by the look on his face that she'd gotten the answer 'wrong', "Or... Hiking? Taking pictures? Drinking?"

"Yes! Drinking!" His shoulders collapsed and he issued a relieved sigh. "Okay, so..."

"...or - or," she held up her hands. "You could just tell me what your great idea is without all of this back-and-forth shit. How about that? What's your idea that has to do with camping and drinking?"

"Um... Okay. So," he caught her accusing stare as he paused yet again. "Err... I made solar fabric that can turn sunlight and the average Terran-compatible atmosphere into alcohol. It's all there. Carbon dioxide, oxygen, hydrogen... Just needs to be combined the right way and you've got whatever proof you want."

"Fuck. Yeah. Okay, that's neat," which was an easy decision but they were in R&D. Now it was time to take his good idea and see how far it could fly. "But that's just moonshine, right? Vodka. We're camping," she emphasized. "Let's see..."

A few taps at a summoned holographic console and she'd pulled up a list of different distillations and their ingredients, "Say... Gin. Terran terraformed world? Juniper and herbs. Blackberries. Apples? Applejack... Lots of possibilities. Can I spin up a copy and take it out tonight? See how well your solar still stands up...?"

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:34 pm

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 57...

"...'Artillery Exists to Launch Large Chunks of Budget At An Enemy It Cannot Actually See.' Now, to lay some context it is important to note that historically, artillery of various forms has been one of the deadliest weapons of war - as well as the least discriminate. In this we can draw a connection between the first half of the Maxim and the second; effective warfare requires the expenditure of resources and often on a vast scale. Moreso, the last third then emphasizes that often-as-not those who seek to win will not actually know the conditions on which that war will be won."

"Now," Maxwell paused for emphasis, "It has been said over and over that hindsight is twenty-twenty - referring to the 'ideal' level of human vision - and that most historians will be able to use that hindsight to point to specific moments when one side or another knew that the war was won or lost. Indeed, there have been those extraordinary moments when a war was declared over before it was begun, began despite this, and then - extraordinarily! - proceeded just as the experts had declared minus this or that impertinent and ultimately unimportant detail. Despite this small fraction, Maxim 57 is there to remind us that if we go cheap, we often go home empty-handed."

"...or - pertinent to the mercenary - that our potential employer may well do so..."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:02 pm

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 58...

"...'The Pen is Mightiest When It Writes Orders for Swords.' On the face of it, Maxim 58 is clearly self-serving - the straight suggestion being that those with the pen, that is those of the civil government - should employ the services of our titular mercenaries. True enough. But I would offer a further observation. There are multiple usages of the word 'orders' with the first being the easily assumed civil usage, especially given the context of the pen, and a second being the military usage. That is, the first would be a purchase order while the second would be a marching order. And it is here where we find the somewhat subtle implication in '58; the insinuation that a civil government that cannot - with the stroke of a pen - order its military into action is no government at all."

"For those of us in the civilized portions of the galaxy, the very idea that the military would not be subordinate to the civil government would be strange, of course - but not so in... Well, to call a spade a spade, the uncivilized portions of the galaxy. In fact the point is made in that very choice of words - civil versus uncivil. Now the historians, the anthropologists, the sociologists - all would tell you there are very good reasons why a military must be subordinate - and they are right! But this also presents a conundrum for the mercenary."

"What is the first objective for any successful mercenary?" he asked rhetorically. "To defeat their enemy? No - it is to make payroll. To get paid. Of course to get paid one must first find paying work - and importantly, work that will be paid. To find work is of no great difficulty. Throughout the uncivilized galaxy there are many conflicts that will provide said - make sure you are paid upfront and in full, however. Though I suspect that will be a difficult contract to negotiate. Meanwhile it is in the civilized portions of the galaxy where one can make the easy assumption that they will be paid both on time and to specification..."

"...but the work is much harder to come by."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:48 am

Maxwell Maximillian's Marginally Annotated Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries... Maxim 59...

"...'Two Wrongs Is Probably Not Going To Be Enough,'" Maxwell chuckled as he read the maxim aloud. "Which is - in my consideration - one of the few directly and genuinely funny Maxims. While others could be considered 'pithy' or even 'wise', Maxim 59 is phrased in such a way that it is instantly appealing to the mercenary commander, given their job is very often to 'do wrong'. Of course the Maxim is an addendum to the much older adage that 'Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right' but here we once again return to the primary motivation for any successful mercenary - making payroll. Two wrongs will not make a right and two will probably not be enough - thus an entrenched conflict between two paying parties is virtual assurance of a constant source of income... As well, of course, as a way to convince a potential employer of the need for your services..."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates