NATION

PASSWORD

Sunset: Then, Now, Tomorrow (Maintenance & Role-Play)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Tropico Mini-Golf, Terra Incognito, New Latin System...

Even from the sheltered entrance to the park, it was apparent to Erika that it would be hard and possibly impossible to not have fun. The whole park sprawled over the same space that would be required for an eighteen hole course of regular golf. There were actually several different courses, all of which started just behind a gaily colored club house that sat just inside the entrance. Each had it's own theme, and according to the giant map that was picked out in colored cobblestone across the square, they all wound around and through each other until finishing up on the far side of the space.

"Fun-pires beware!" she grinned, turning to her golf partner, "Shall we?"

Demi nodded agreement and headed for the club house. For a few seconds Erika waited while she walked ahead, and then hurried to catch up. The dusky-skinned woman was wearing a crisp white sundress decorated with a textured tropical flower on one side. The various petals and leaves of the flower were made of some sheer material and this left a good portion of her back visible.

"Were you checking out my butt?" Demi asked as Erika drew even again.

"Not specifically," Erika blushed, though Demi was laughing merrily.

"Next time try doing it specifically then!"

There was a short line, but it only took a couple minutes and while they waited the pair looked around the park and chatted, picking out their chosen path and what other attractions they would like to visit. It seemed that every hole had something going on, with either a concession stand offering snacks of some kind, a miniature theme park ride, or some other distracting entertainment. There was even some larger rides where one could, if they were inclined, ride a roller-coaster or log flume from one particular course to a similar spot on another.

A selection of clubs were on offer, and for a moment Erika looked them over with an engineer's eye before looking over at Demi. The younger woman looked at her expectantly, and Erika made a snap decision. The course would have been easy for her; It was all vectors, acceleration, friction, and other physics problems that she could easily work out in her electronic head. But that wouldn't be very fun for Demi. Her hand went to the worst looking club. Dinged, cracked, and with a grip that was fading and tattered, it would offer a degree of randomness that would make the contest more interesting.

----

"So why did you chose to adopt?" Demi asked as Erika leaned over her ball.

The first few holes had gone by quickly but now they were up in the par seven range, with each hole having some kind of gimmick like a second hole or moving section of track. The whole course was built to resemble an old Earth city known as 'San Fransisco', with various landmarks being re-created in miniature and events from the city's history being incorporated into the holes. The current hole had the aforementioned moving section, which would simulate a famous earthquake. Timing her stroke as the green, painted and decorated like a city street, bounced around was a question of good timing and avoiding the streetlights that ran down the middle.

"Well, I wanted a family."

A good strong swing and the ball shot through and was suddenly lifted as the street shook, lofting it up onto a further section where it rolled to a gentle stop near a hole made to look like a manhole.

"And I was at a point where I was running Silaco Electronics full-time as well as learning the ropes as Secretary-General. When I wasn't at a board meeting, I was in a classroom learning military theory."

"Why would you want to add a kid to that?"

Demi moved up and bent over to place her ball on the tee and Erika, doing as suggested, stepped back to admire her posterior. It was a fine example of a human female backside, slim and muscled with a healthy percentage of body fat.

"Hey!" Her partner straightened in mock outrage, "I said specifically... I didn't say obviously!"

----

"Katryna was thirteen," Erika answered Demi's previous question before taking a long lick of the ice cream cone she had been presented with.

The pair were taking a break from the course and an easy way to fill time had been an ice cream stand. There had been a myriad of flavors to chose from and Demi had proposed they chose for the other. Thus Erika had a scoop of blueberry cheesecake balanced above another that had been impregnated with scores of smaller hard ice cream pellets in a dozen flavors and colors.

"There was the normal parenting work, but... Well, I guess it was normal. Raising a daughter in the offices of various government agencies and aboard a warship..." As well as in the depths of several secret installations, many of which were still secret, "I guess that's not as normal. She took to it well enough."

"She's a lovely young woman," Demi nodded. "Everyone says they see a lot of you in her. And that she's rubbing off on you too."

That was especially true. Katryna's core was literally a tiny sliver of Erika's own, cultured to sentience through massive exposure to stimulus, and transplanted into the chassis of an attractive young Asian woman. Where she had picked up her love of the physical side of relationships was a question that Erika still didn't have an answer to.

"How is she rubbing off on me?"

Demi dropped her ball and knelt to pick up her ball and Erika's eyes followed as she did and for a second, as the woman knelt, she could see straight down the hanging front of her dress to where her chest was mostly exposed. After a moment, the younger woman stood up and dropped her ball casually on the course. "Would you like me to pick that up again?"

"Uhm," Erika flushed but for a moment she was tempted to say 'yes'. So she did. "Yes?"

Demi smiled and laughed, but again she knelt, this time making a bit more of a show of it and making sure the blonde woman got a complete eye full before standing.

"Yeah, she's rubbing off on you. When I started work, you barely smiled and there's no way you'd ever check out someone's tits. Now you smile a lot, and you give a good hug, and you've got the wave down pat."

"I practiced the wave," Erika admitted.

----

"What about you?" Erika asked.

Now it was Demi's turn to ogle as the Secretary-General bent over to adjust the tee. The previous four-some had left it mangled and tilted but her strong fingers straightened it out and she placed her ball on it with a careful touch.

"Where do you want to be in a year?"

"Oh, a job interview?" Demi smiled. "Or is this your version of the 'casual relationship' question?"

Erika couldn't quite put together a good answer so Demi did instead.

"I don't know if I want to settle down long-term with anyone just yet. There's a lot of fun and excitement to be had in the world of interstellar diplomacy. You never know when you'll get the call to head to some new-found civilization, or talk down an aggressive hate-monger. Could I be happy in a relationship where it's the occasional late-night call to let off some steam?"

She paused and looked the Secretary-General up and down, "Hell yeah. But I can't say that will be true in six months. Not for six months at least."

----

"So..."

"So..."

There were two choices. The last hole had been played, the score tallied, and now there were were two choices ahead. A large square, identical to the one they had entered at, held a large electronic scoreboard that showed the highest score for each of the routes for that day and, more importantly, all time. Erika had done well, even with the ancient club, and she sat comfortably in the middle of the daily scoreboard. Demi was a little further down but she had proclaimed herself happy with her score and let it go at that.

On the left of the booth where they would return their clubs and balls was the entrance to the Dragon, a twirling roller-coaster that would take them back to the entrance to the park and over the heads of the various groups and lone players down below. It was clearly the best view and was designed to tempt those riding it to pay up again and work the park one more time.

The ride to the right of the booth was another kind of temptation. A heart-shaped entrance festooned with X's and O's as well as a pair of puckered lips proclaimed it as the entrance to the Tunnel of Love. A slow line of heart-shaped cars trundled past at a slow walk before pausing to receive any riders and then disappearing one-by-one into the red lit tunnel that quickly faded to darkness. True, not all the riders were the amorous sort. Many were simply parents with young children who, exhausted from the day's activities, were clearly in need of a nap.

Demi, on the other hand, didn't need a nap. She sidestepped so that she was right up next to Erika and slid a hand down her back and into the back pocket of her jeans. Both Katryna and Fidelo's works came back to her as she considered her choices but in the end she let Demi guide her onto one of the heart-shaped cars, suitably separated by another car from the previous riders. The car trundled forward and as soon as it cleared the entrance Demi swung out of her seat and up onto Erika's lap.

"Nervous?" She asked, looking down at the blonde woman.

Erika had to nod.

"Don't be. I've done this before..." Leaning down, she nudged Erika's forehead until she raised her lips. Planting a soft kiss on them, she pulled her head up again and tossed her hair to one side, "I'll show you what to do..."
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 am

GEC-47943 (N'Xypndiltn)...

"If I might ask a delicate question," Elice leaned forward, cupping her warm bowl of kenjal between her hands and focusing on her hostess until she had drawn the small woman's attention. With everyone in the village being nearly half her height, she had taken to sitting on a cushion on the ground while the others sat on their carved wooden stools. "Can I ask about your armor?"

"My armor?" The yellow woman replied, "Of course. Is it not beautiful?"

It certainly was. Like most of the objects in the village, it was carved out of the soft wood of the t'tenryth tree, which retained it's lush, chocolate brown color even when dry. The young warrior was treating it as the village was gathered around the fire for their morning meal, brushing some kind of lacquer into it with a wooden brush.

"It seems so peaceful here..." A fact which she pinned on the utter subjugation of the Xypndi males. "Why do you have armor, and then why warriors?"

"Ah, then you wish to know about the gods."

Oh great. Religious fanatics. Elice resisted the temptation to roll her eyes.

"We fight because the gods tell us to fight, and we make peace because they tell us to make peace." The xypndi set the helm she was working on aside and stretched out her arms, rolling them so that the researcher could see the network of scars that covered them. "These are my pride, a mark that I have fought in many battles for the gods. They are pleased with me, and do me great favor."

"How do you talk to the gods?"

"We do not talk to the gods," she replied, turning and pointing into the jungle. "They talk to us. At the Joining, they appear and give us their commands. We hear and obey, even when some call for war with our friends and others call for peace with our enemies."

"Are those the only commands they give?"

"No, and they do not only command but they instruct. Some they tell to go here, and others there, and others receive gifts for following while others are warned for their trespasses."

Hookay. This was all sounding a bit weird. Elice studied her bowl while she thought about it. There were plenty of ancient religions out there that claimed to have their gods contact them, or install prophets, or any number of other communions between the followers and the followed. But actually appear and instruct them?

"Tell me, does this ceremony involve anything specific? Like the consumption of a special plant, or going without food for several days?"

Are you inducing hallucinations because you're doing the magic mushrooms?

"We gather together, all the nearby tribes, and spend the day together in trade and bonding. Then the Elders and the Mothers gather together in the sacred circle to receive the gods. They instruct them, and then they instruct us while the gods walk among us, giving us individual instruction or blessing."

"You said the gods are pleased with you, and have done you a favor?"

The Xypndi made a nodding gesture, "Yes. See," she reached down and picked up her spear. Like the others in the village, it was a long wooden shaft that had a thick paddle-shape between the grip and the head. This, the head, and a wide bulb at the base were carefully decorated with shallow carvings. Inlaid into the spear head, forming a sharp blade, was a steel edge and the warrior demonstrated it's sharpness by drawing it across a piece of wood. "A gift from the gods."

There was no forge, no hearth, no furnace. No source of worked metal to be found in the small village. Against the wood and leather armor of her opponents, the blade would prove decisive. Someone, somewhere, was supplying these people with advanced armaments for some reason. What was it, and who was it? And more importantly, Elice pondered, should she do anything about it?

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

SDF-Yangtze, Near the Galactic Core...

"We've got two possible lines of investigation here," Captain LaCrosse began.

Once again the senior officers and much of the research staff was gathered around the long conference table in the room behind the recreation lounge. This time, the Captain had planned ahead and several trays of donuts and pastries had been laid out, along with various drinks and carafes. Or at least it had been several. Doctor Brilla had gone through a half-tray of donuts like a bantha at an ewok picnic. Whatever ewoks were.

"Based on some new information uncovered by Doctor Tithral," he looked over at the bajoni, who nodded in return, "We think there's a possible connection between the singularity and a mostly unknown artifact located on the planet eP'rk."

A hologram appeared, the world mostly dark blue aside from a few stretched out continents.

"It was recently investigated by the White Nile," No need to go into that ship's well-known history, "But they were stymied by the locals. That now presents a problem to this particular area of investigation, as the whole area is now a warzone."

More holograms appeared, this time from satilites high overhead. These showed various ground vehicles, fliers, and warships engaged in skirmishes and battles. One showed a rocky mountainside, home to a considerable facility, that was now a shattered ruin. Soldiers, all seemingly female, fought a pitched battle inside the rubble with light wheeled vehicles moving through in support.

"This was where the artifact was located. Depending on who wins, we might be able to gain access. Might. The war in this area is being contested by the aggressive Xayth and their former ally on the opposite side of the continent. I don't know if I'd count on a former ally to be allowing outsiders access to a secret military facility. The other option is to stay here and try to investigate this singularity, and Doctor Brilla has come up with an interesting option..."

"I have? Oh, yeah, I have." The Doctor put down her donut and a hologram appeared. A pair in fact, one of which was less distinct than the other. "These are the i-We. They are a species of sentient electromagnetic fields that make their home on a series of space stations that also serve as the operational end of an artificial star."

An image of the star appeared. It wasn't a star like anyone would be familiar with, instead being a giant glowing torus in space, but it was a star.

"And apparently we built one too. Did you know we built a fucking artificial star?" Saryan frowned, "Cause I certainly didn't. Anyway. Our tax dollars also built this!"

Another hologram appeared, this time of a station with a similar Y design to the previous, but substantial portions appeared to be missing. It also had something of a more stereotypical 'Sunset' design to it though the large flag at the crux of the Y was an immediate give-away.

"This was the testbed unit for the full stations. It's basically a wanking huge gravity generator with some specialized field manipulators. And it can be here in a week, along with an i-We to give us some input. We cut off the power, the event horizon goes away, and we take a peek in their underwear drawer."
Last edited by Sunset on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 pm

SNN Nightly News with Tanya Zaldano and Trent Lockwood...

"...and Bangkok Express has announced it's own plans to bring it's pan-galactic chain of kiosk take-out and delivery restaurants into Moad. This will be the sixth Fortune 500 mega-corp to announce similar plans in the last week. BangEx stock rose five points on the day," Tanya finished.

She was back in the saddle, feeling good and looking good. Whatever Doctor Wilt had done for her, it had taken care of her little problem and left her feeling so much better. She still couldn't stand alcohol but Mona assured her it was just a side-effect and it would fade over time.

"The corporate expansion plans aren't just going one way, Tanya," Brent took over, look over to her and then back to the camera. "Several companies inside Moad have started moving this way as well. And there's rumors of a major Zero-One MonoCorporation move into Moad as well. This has let to speculators buying up space in major orbital yards all over Sunset, hoping to make a quick buck selling them on to companies looking to expand their merchant fleets."

"Good news for the economy," Tanya noted. "And sometimes the economy and culture collide!" It was a terrible segue, but that was the breaks in the news biz. "The Acropolis Theatre Company has issued a statement noting that it's revival of the Old Earth musical 'Cats' has broken the one billion mark for ticket sales. That's after only opening three weeks ago, and before the company goes on tour in August. Each of two nightly stage shows is being re-broadcast live to over two hundred different venues. There is some question as to whether this is cheating, but the show is so good it really makes any complaints moot."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Whether it was the ceremonial draught or some other effect, Elice was sure it was not the gods themselves that were hazy and indistinct. Tall, thin, and almost painfully slow, they moved among the faithful as wraiths. Physically similar in body structure, they each wore the skin of one of the totem animals. Convincing costumes, maybe, but she could tell they were costumes. Designed to fool the masses.

They had spent perhaps an hour with the Elders and the Mothers of Us All in conclave, secreted inside the intricately built stone temple that towered high above the jungle floor. From the eight cardinal directions they had come, drifting through the undergrowth, and through eight carved wooden doors they entered the temple. Eight doors, eight gods, eight tribes...

It was a lot of numerology and superstition and, looking closely at one of the gods, Elice was pretty sure she could take one. That led her mind down the path of why, and to an almost immediate answer. It wasn't perhaps the right answer, but it was a theory. Whatever species the gods were, they could not face the Xypndi in a toe-to-toe fight. The smaller humanoid's physical prowess, rapid reproduction, and military might would allow them to quickly overrun and destroy the gods. So the gods were pulling the strings, making them dance. Controlling them.

Were they from another world?

Elice recalled the examples of old Earth. Carvings of beings who looked like helmeted space-men on pyramids, flying saucers in religious texts, and other indications of possible visitors from the stars. According to the ArAreBee, as well as a number of other species, they had been those visitors. Not that Elice trusted the ArAreBee. Screwing with people, mentally and physically, seemed to be a cultural pastime. Back to the question at hand.

The temple was old. Very old. And the warrior she had questioned could not recall a time when the gods hadn't been there. Moss and lichen grew heavy on the upper reaches of the temple, turning the carved images into figures of riotous color, but highlighting their age at the same time. Higher up, and recessed into the walls, were four niches for fire bowls. As soon as the gods had emerged from the conclave they had selected four warriors to carry brands up the walls to light them. This had thrown the whole into stark relief, reflected light cascading shadows down the wall.

Back home people would have paid generously to see the ceremony, even recognizing it for the cultural and religious ceremony that it was, just to enjoy it. The pageantry and grandeur alone would have made it worth the time. It would have also made the gods wealthy, or at least comfortable, but perhaps they were. Was their lack of obvious technology another part of their disguise? Did they depend on the chemical effects of the draught, the day of fasting, the lack of blood flow caused by the uncomfortable position? Did they return to modern dwellings to remove their costumes and, without conscience, return to their own lives regardless of the relative primitiveness they kept the Xypndi in?

One of the gods moved nearby. Dressed as something resembling a cat, it moved to one of the warriors in her own tribe and drew a curved dagger from a hidden pocket. Precious steel, glinting in the firelight, presented itself as the warrior drew the weapon. Words were spoken and, despite her augments, Elice couldn't quite make them out. They sounded distant, and perhaps foreign. A dialect of the language no longer spoke. But their results were clear.

Rising from her place, the warrior walked carefully and slowly to the front where her own Elders stood around the Mother of Us All. She presented the weapon to the Mother, who indicated acknowledgement though not understanding. Holding the weapon before her, the warrior walked to one of the Elders and with a swift thrust her victim fell. Pulling the dagger free she held it up, showing the blood, and taking her place alongside the Elders. This was not the only show of violence either. Further away, in another tribe, a pair of women fell upon each other, tearing and gouging. Perhaps it was some long simmering dispute that the gods had shown fit to adjudicate by combat.

Late at night, with the moon touching the far treetops, the ceremony ended but yet it did not. The tribes dispersed, one by one, in an order that to her clearly indicated their prominence. The gods had left, drifting off through the jungle, but their instructions had not. In the darkness there were noises. Two women from another tribe joined their own journey and now they were of their tribe, welcomed as though nothing had changed. Elsewhere she heard screams and the clash of battle, two tribes beginning the conflict that would last until the next ceremony or beyond. A pointless struggle declared for the mysterious purposes of the false gods.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

SDF Training Facility, Ares, Ares System...

It was all a test. Every little bit of it, from the train ride that ended four hours from the front gate to the front gate itself, it was all a test. After hiking four hours, Josh had learned that every terrible thing that had ever been said about that front gate was true. Rusty and ancient, it must have weighed two metric tons and had taken him every ounce of strength in his ninety-kilogram body to force it open. Another hour through a tangled woodlot, through an icy stream with tangled vines on either side, a kilometer up a steep grade, and there he was! According to the web there was a back door, but it was up a quarter-kilometer past-vertical climb that wasn't recommended for anyone without serious climbing experience or an arboreal body type. So he went with the front gate.

The front door was also fun. The button to unlock it was two hundred meters from the door itself. Security measure, according to the sign, and thus one had to make the mad dash before the door closed again. That one was easy. He'd run every morning while in school and it had only shut barely half-way before he'd made it through.

On to the receptionist! Again, the web said you had to ask for an application. And a pen. Or bring your own pen. Literacy was key, but so was being able to talk to the receptionist. Who was... A giant eyeball. No ears. Or lips. Easy, again.

'I would like an application to join the SDF', Josh wrote out on his arm. 'Please.'

One popped out of a slot on the desk and he took it. If you skipped the 'SDF' part, or the 'please', it was an unmarked application that generated a callback from a local garbage collection company. No desks, or other convenient surfaces to write on, so he sprawled out on the floor. Which was cold and hard. Oh well. At least it was smooth. Writing anything out by hand was almost foreign to most people, especially when your augmented reality could do it in micro-seconds and it would look better. But again, a test.

It took a good half hour, but he got it filled in, looked it over, then did it all again. The web said that neatness counted and he used the first as a template for the second. Now it was time to turn it in, and the Skri behind the desk was gone. Also a test. On the back of the application there were directions, written out in a careful step by step format, for where to turn it in. He read them completely. Also a test. If you didn't, the web warned, you were liable to find yourself in a one-way hallway that let you out at the front gate.

Into the hallways! Here and there was the occasional door, labeled with this and that, but he followed the directions careful until he came to a row of offices. At the end, according to the directions, there would be a tray where he would put the application and then exit through the door to the right. Thank you for your interest in applying to the Sunset Defense Forces. Right. He walked down the hallway, looking here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary but the web said to watch out for misdirection or even the occasional trap. But nothing. Well, there was one thing. But there was the tray, and into the tray went his application. His life-long dream.

Then he turned around and went back to that one thing. All of the doors in the hallway had been labelled with rank insignia as well as an officer's name. Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Commander... But right in the middle of all of these was one that just said 'Dick'. No rank, no indication if that was a first or last name. Just 'Dick'. So he knocked. A light imbedded in the door turned green after a moment and the door slid open.

'Come in!'

"Hello?" Josh entered, a bit hesitantly, and looked around. It wasn't a very big office, especially considering the size of the sprawling base, but it was a nice one. There was a desk at the back, and a large picture window, and a bank of displays on one wall. Nice carpet, contemporary modern design... And a smirking human male sitting behind the desk. He was wearing a uniform and had his arms crossed across his chest.

"Lieutenant Commander... Sheldon?" Josh read off his name badge. "I'm Josh Hastings. I came to apply, and I noticed the label on your door. What's a Dick?"

"I'm the dick," The Lt. Commander answered. "All those tests? All that bullshit you just went through? That's me. I'm a dick."

"So... Your job is to make the application process difficult?"

"Got it in one, hotshot. And you get a bonus star for being curious, too! Now, let's see..." Sheldon got up, walked out of his office, and retrieved the application from the tray. "Well, this is all very impressive! Excellent grades, good physicals... And..." He pulled up a recording of Josh making his way through the wilderness and played it back at high speed. "Not record-breaking, but excellent pacing! You'll make a fine candidate. Congratulations, Mr. Hastings. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

He set the application down on the corner of his desk and went back to his chair.

"Another victim is on their way through!"

Josh nodded, "Thank you, Sir." Then he paused and picked up the application. "Dick. Got it."

"Uh huh!" Sheldon indicated the trash can just next to the corner of the desk. There were several applications in there already. "Now, off you go."

Back into the tray, exit to the right, and... Another two hour slog back to the front gate. Probably with Sheldon watching the whole way.

----

"Yes Sir! Thank you Sir! I'll be there!"

Attention to detail had paid off and the call had come through the very next morning. Two years of Academy starting...

"Shit. This afternoon?!"

He checked the location he'd been sent and his shoulders sagged. It was the same place. Six hours which left him... Fifteen minutes to pack. Fourteen.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:58 pm

"I feel like I should have some theme music playing," the figure clinging to the side of the sub-orbital transport noted aloud, to one one in particular but itself, before letting go of the craft and rocketing away.

Far away on the horizon a vast open stretch of land appeared with a gray facility sprawling across the middle and the figure turned and angled itself towards this before opening it's arms and legs to reveal a set of small fabric wings. Like an arrow it shot away, propelled by both the speed picked up from the sub-sonic transport and the skin-tight aerodynamic suit it was wearing. The world slid by below it and soon it's target was right below it, a large tangled woodlot with a lazy and very cold looking stream running through it. There was a gate as well, but it's approach from above had solved that problem and hopefully the next.

----

"Sir, we have an intruder!"

The lieutenant on duty, a young green woman with a savage looking snarl and tight cornrow hair, looked over at the trainee sitting behind the ancient console. It was no where near as advanced as what they would be using in the field, but that was rather the point. Get used to working with what you have, rather than what you want.

"Where?"

"In the air!" She tried to create a hologram of the area, but of course her augments were blocked. She poked at the console for a second and a readout appeared, showing the incoming object as a fast-moving dot on a mesh wireframe plot of the facility and it's local environment. "Area six, in the wilderness training area! Area nine! It's moving pretty fast!"

The orc lieutenant looked at the console for a moment, and then accessed the real surveillance system. "Dispatch a security team," she turned to another cadet. "Intruder on the grounds. Secure and detain." If it had really been something hostile, the more comprehensive and powerful system she had access to would have dealt with it already, out of view of the cadets. Likely it was a training event of some kind, and thus she reacted as though she didn't know that it was, indeed, a person falling from the sky.

----

"Coming up fast..."

The figure reached across it's chest and pulled the rip-cord just as the altitude warning went off. A drogue chute deployed, then the main, and then it was only a few feet to the ground and right into the trees. Tangling in the high branches, the figure swinging below it, they swung randomly for a moment before the figure began to kick and swing forward on it's own, aiming for a thick and hopefully cushioning clump of berry vines near the base of one of the tall trees.

"Couldn't have planned it better, really..."

It swung forward and, at the end of the arc, released it's harness to catapult into the mass and leave the tell-tale chute where it had become stuck. A moment's scramble and it vanished from sight just as a small shuttlecraft, older and more than a little run-down, came into view over the tiny clearing. It settled down low and a trio of armored figures jumped out, weapons at the ready. One looked up at the chute while the other two raced over, their guns pointed at the figure that dangled below it.

"Hands up!"

It's hands were already up, as it were, and it didn't appear to be armed. It was wearing a standard skin-tight skydiving suit and, oddly, was sporting a massive erection. There was a bit of an uncomfortable silence but after a moment one of the two stepped back to cover their partner while they reached up and undid the buckle that held it in place. It collapsed out of the harness with an audible 'whoof' and sprawled on the ground. The third member of the team stepped up, collected the rifles from the other two, and then they grabbed the intruder under the armpits and hauled it to it's feet, patting it down though it was obvious that the only weapon it carried was of the sexual kind.

Satisfied that it wasn't a threat, they pushed it forward and into the shuttle, closing the doors behind them. A moment later it lifted off, blissfully unaware of the added passenger who clung to the other side. In less than a minute it was settling down on the facility's landing pad and the door slid open, the three hauling their prisoner out. Two walked beside it, holding it up while it stumbled forward, and the third behind with their rifle trained on it. A moment later the pilot joined them, carrying one of the spare rifles, and covering the intruder as well.

"Hold it," one of the team instructed as they approached the door. He stopped, swiping a hand over a sensor plate, and the door swung open. All five entered and the heavy door swung shut again. "In here..."

There was an office and inside a tall man, with a muscular and thick bearing, stood at attention beside a desk. Depositing their captive in a chair facing the desk, they clamped a pair of manacles onto each wrist and stepped back. Two of the team remained while the other two exited to stand in the hallway, guarding the door with their weapons at ease.

"Alright, let's see who we have here..." the tall man stepped forward. "You realize you're in a lot of trouble, son?"

He grabbed the helmet and lifted it off before tossing it aside in disgust. Underneath was a doll. It was clearly a doll, and some kind of animatronic sex doll at that. The mouth was open, there were no teeth, and there was a long and sinuous tongue inside that was covered with stimulation nubs.

"What the hell is this?"

"Who, Commander," one of the two remaining guards saluted, taking her own helmet off and shaking out her long, wavy blonde hair. She pulled her torso and shoulder armor off and dropped it to the ground with a plastic rattle. It was a cheap imitation, meant for costume parties, but with a little paint and wear it looked just like the real thing. Peeling off the rest of the uniform as they watched, she was soon standing there in an evening dress that would have looked perfect next to a certain dashing secret agent in a tuxedo.

"Blaine, Kamilia Blaine..."

Pulling a carefully folded letter out of her decolletage, she opened the door and walked past the two stunned guards to the tray at the end of the hallway and deposited her application. With a wink and a subtle twist of her shapely hips, she was out the door. With every eye on her, she walked across the quad to where a decorative pool stood at the top of a cliff, the water spilling over the edge to a splash pool below that lead into the creek that meandered through the facility. With barely a pause, she stopped at the edge, grabbed the bottom of her dress, and pulled it over her head.

If she looked good in the dress, she looked great in the bikini. At least for the couple seconds she stood posed on the edge before jumping into the splash pool. Surging to the surface, and with two very visible hints as to how cold the water was, she began to swim down the creek with strong, even strokes. A half-hour later, sped by the current, she was pulling herself up the bank and onto the quiet platform of the train that fed the rear gate, a scattered group of officers watching as she emerged and nonchalantly stepped onto the maglev just as it was about to leave.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 pm

SDF-Unconquered Sun, Terra Incognito, New Latin System...

"How do you fake an orgasm?"

"Do I want to know why you want to know that?" Katryna asked. She wasn't 'there' there, just there via hologram, but she still gave her mother an odd look as she sat in one of the two chairs that looked out through the enormous (and fake) curved window down at the world below. "Oh... Your date with Demi went really well, huh? Did she sucker you into the Tunnel of Love?"

"I don't think she suckered me into it," Erika explained, though to Katryna it sounded more like an excuse. "She indicated a desire for physical interaction and I agreed. There wasn't anything behind it."

"Making out, heavy petting, or full-out lesbian?"

"Shouldn't I be keeping some things private? I believe you suggested that." Erika was blushing a bit now though, even as she tried to appear to concentrate on the work in front of her. It wasn't very important, really, just more budget figures that would solve themselves as the various department heads brought their own budgets in.

"And you just asked how to fake an orgasm. Though for us," By 'us' she meant an AI in a near-human body, "It's not really faking it. For humans, and other biologicals, there's the occasional need to fake sexual climax for various psychological reasons, usually related to a feeling of worth or capability in their partner."

"The orgasm is the immediate reward for sexual activity that's meant to drive reproduction though," Erika noted. "I can reproduce with a good printer and an afternoon in the lab. I don't need an orgasm to do so."

"Then why do you want to know how to fake an orgasm?"

"Well, perhaps the better question is 'when'. I can simulate the bodily processes that occur with reasonable accuracy. But when should I do it?"

"I like to mix it up a bit. Sometimes before his, sometimes after. He likes it when I do it multiple times. I think it gives him a feeling of potency, of strength. With another female... I'm not sure. There's a lot of literature on the subject but it all comes down to 'it's different for everyone'. What about her? Did you..."

"She sent me a picture of herself wearing some lingerie and in a sexually suggestive position as well as an invitation to come over to her place after work."

"So you did things right on that end," Katryna laughed. "Did you fake one?"

"No."

"Hmm. Maybe she wants to prove she's got it in bed. I'd take her up on it. Give you a chance to work on various techniques, observe her responses. Think of it as a scientific expedition to the land of lesbian sex!"

"Which didn't answer the question. When should I?"

"Do a one for one thing," Katryna shrugged. "Until you start to get a read on what she likes."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 pm

The Labs, Under the Art Lab, NeoVanc University...

"I've settled on the end product," Doctor Ambrose started, settling in at his console while Ms. 16 worked at the one across from him.

"Oh?" It was a non-committal answer, but that's all he really wanted. A reason to ramble a bit.

"Well, I haven't found a way to make the inevitable physical transformation choose one specific event over another. But I've gotten it down to generalities. After some consideration I've decided to go with transmutation."

A hologram appeared that matched one of the fast-clones that was now growing in the line of tanks across the lab. He pressed a button and it went through a complete transformation sequence, with the power required to trigger the event listed next to the 'subject' slowly decreasing as it grew in size until the threshold was crossed.

"There are several advantages to this. The first is tactically. When one super-soldier is killed, it creates viable cover for others as well as potential distractions for their opponents since their form is decidedly similar. The second is monetary. Presuming we maintain control of the field, we can then sell any losses as scrap. Imagine how much one made of solid gold would be worth. Certainly, the chances are low, but..."

"I must ask, Doctor," Ms. 16 looked up from her console, removed her glasses, and shook out her hair. "If you have this army of super-soldiers, what do you intend to do with them?"

"Baby steps, Ms. 16. Baby steps."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Horutanis System, Krakatoa...

By the middle of the next afternoon and a long series of winding tunnels and vast caverns filled with all the natural beauty of the underworld, it was clear that the ring of stones hadn't been an aberration. They were everywhere now, from flat-topped table-like pillars to arrangements of calcite lily pads floating in still dark pools. The question had become who had made them and where were they?

"On old Earth," Charlie put forward as he made his careful way across a foot-wide ledge that soared over a forest of stalagtites on one side and dropped into a crystal clear but undoubtedly very cold pool on the other, "There were these mysterious mounds that seemed to pop up all over the globe. Uniform size, construction... All the hallmarks of an intelligent species. Or so they thought. Until they discovered that a species of gopher was responsible."

"You think that an animal did that?" Sam responded as she waited her turn at the near end. They had thrown a line across and lassoed a convenient rocky pillar, but that only made the slick crossing slightly less perilous.

"I'm just saying we should keep our minds open, rather than assuming it's some... kind... of..." His voice trailed off. "My god."

A hurried crossing and Sam found her imaginings confirmed while Charlie's animal theory was soundly crushed. The carved symbol on the wall - eight balls in a circle - was clearly not natural and moreso it served as an obvious decoration for the tunnel entrance in the middle. From where they stood the couple couldn't make out details, but it appeared as though each ball was also decorated, possibly with the same eight-ball theme. Lowering themselves down from the ledge, they began to hastily make their way through the forest of dripping stalactites.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:29 pm

SDF-Unconquered Sun, Terra Incognito Orbit...

"I'll check, just one moment..." The dwarf behind the desk put the call on hold for a moment and walked over to the door that led into the Secretary-General's office. Immediately the light imbedded in the door turned green - a privilege of the position and she poked her head into the spacious office beyond.

"Air! I need..." A pair of arms reached up from behind the desk to pull Ambassador Love's head and half her torso up above the edge. She was only wearing a bra, and quite the skimpy one the dwarf noted, and it as well as her hair was in complete disarray. An hand appeared a moment later and grabbed her arm, pulling her away and back behind the desk with apparent ease. Or a lack of resistance, as the resulting noises indicated there was nothing uncomfortable going on at all. "...again?!"

Withdrawing, the Secretary-General's receptionist returned to her desk and the waiting call as the door slid shut behind her.

"The Secretary-General is in conference with one of our Ambassadors right now..."

"Yes, that's right. I'll tell her you called and she'll call you back as soon as she's finished... How long?"

Various muted sounds could be heard through the walls, as well as the cries of someone in pleasure.

"Twenty minutes?"

----

"I'm sure it's fun..." Erika nodded vigorously and Katryna sighed, "But you still need to go out. You're in the humpy bunny phase of the relationship and they never last if you don't make it about something more than..."

"Mind-blowing sex?" The stupid grin on her face told her that her attempt to moderate her mother's behavior might not have any effect at all, but then again...

"I'm probably not the best example, am I?"

"Nope. But your advice has already been taken, even if it's not something I wanted to do. The eP'rk have requested mediation before their war gets too hot and Demi's the best choice."

Katryna nodded, "She is. And a couple weeks apart will do you some good. Give you time to consider if it's a relationship you like because you enjoy each others company or if it's just physical now."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm

SNN Nightly News with Tanya Zaldano and Trent Lockwood...

"The war in the board room is heating up tonight with a surprise move by Chronic Cola. After close, it was announced that the maverick substance and snack food delivery company has acquired nearly ten percent of All Saint Medical's voting stock through several proxy holding companies. According to a press release issued by Marvelous Marv, the President of Chronic Cola, they seek to force All Saints and it's Executive Board to license Ster-X, the company's hot new anti-bacterial, to Chronic Cola for re-manufacture and distribution."

The camera cut from Trent to Tanya, who - despite her own connection to Ster-X, looked remarkably chipper. It seemed she'd discovered a new fashion trend as well; She was wearing an ultra-sheer flowing blouse that was printed with elaborate traditional Japanese tattoos in brilliant colors over a pair of jeans that rode very low on the hips and absolutely nothing else.

"All Saints has yet to issue it's own statement, but both shares in All Saints and Chronic are up in after-hours trading."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 pm

SDF-Eldrathi, Terra Incognito Orbit, New Latin System...

"Ambassador Love..." Erika greeted her... Girlfriend? Lover? Humpy Bunny? Whatever it was, the half-hug was friendly and reasonably formal, rather than the sweaty full-court press the Ambassador would have preferred. As they were on the bridge of the Eldrathi, with Captain Sonja and a bevy of the ship's ranking officers gathered around, it would be inappropriate to do more.

"...Captain Sonja," she greeted the Filanyth with a far more formal salute.

It was one of the few in the Republic, but it was also an excellent example of the inclusiveness of the nation. Hulking and covered with dermal plating, the species was essentially pacifist, more concerned with protecting their young and themselves from the ravages of their hostile home planet than creating strife. It was a juxtaposition that would serve it well over it's career on the Diplomatic Cruiser.

"Secretary-General," the Captain returned the gesture, breaking out in a massive smile. "Thank you for seeing us off. We'll do you proud."

"I'm sure you will, Captain," Erika smiled graciously. "The eP'rk situation is delicate," Not least of all because it might, somehow, perhaps, just a little bit, be Fidelo's fault. And by extension her fault. "But I know you have the skills to bring your assignment to a successful conclusion."

Hand-shaking over, she turned and circulated through the bridge, talking for a brief moment to those who seemed interested and greeting everyone by name and with a smile, handshake, or half-hug. When she'd finished, she left the bridge and an intimately familiar figure fell into place beside her.

"Don't worry," the Ambassador stated as the pair began the walk back to the shuttle bay. "I have a feeling negotiations are going to go smoothly and I'll be back in a week. Maybe two. Although..."

Erika felt a warm hand slide down her back to her butt where it rested comfortably as the two walked. Returning the gesture after a few steps she picked up where the Ambassador had left off, "Although?"

"Well, have you seen Commander Jhira?"

Erika nodded and the hand did a little circle on her backside.

"If all the P'rk look like that, maybe I should stay for a lot longer..."

Erika stopped and turned to look at Demi, who was grinning playfully. Was that a stab of potential jealousy? Interesting.

"I have a little something for you," the Ambassador continued. A moment later and Erika's augmented inbox chimed as mail arrived. Several long video messages were attached and she opened the first to find herself immediately getting a little red. "Something to... entertain yourself with."

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 pm

The Bell Tower, NeoVanc University, Ares...

"Every mad scientist needs a death ray," Doctor Ambrose shrugged, his gray hair whipping in the breeze as both he and Agent 16 stood on the open platform high above the university's sprawling quad. "Now, off you go."

With a arching eyebrow raised as her only questioning response, Agent 16 stepped backward to lightly hop off the platform. Line zipped out behind her as she dropped for a half-second and then it caught, the harness doing visually interesting but ultimately uncomfortable things to her hyper-feminine anatomy as she swung in to land feet-first on the metal side of the modernist spire.

Reaching back, she pulled a small metal disk out of the tubular pack she wore across her back, peeled the protective strip off the adhesive backing, and stuck it in place. There was a mark there already, a tiny circle of dots left in the gleaming metal by a pulsed laser set up on the ground by Ms. 16, and she placed the disk precisely over the top of this. Another drop, another disk, and she made her way slowly down the top half of the tower placing disk after disk until she reached the half-way point.

One of the advantages of tenure was that one could, if one was so inclined, perform odd experiments like this involving the university facilities with only an odd look from the plant manager. It didn't hurt that Ms. 16 had been etching her marks into the side while wearing the tiniest of bikini tops and the shortest of short-shorts under the whitest of t-shirts on a sparkling summer day while the fountain that surrounded the tower sent cooling, and soaking, bursts of water high into the air. Any questions that had come up had devolved into trivial attempts to help or mindless drooling as the shirt had slowly soaked through.

Nor did it hurt that Agent 16 was wearing her own trademark high-tech catsuit, all textured mesh, smooth rubber, and acres of cleavage. One side down and she un-clipped the harness to climb the staircase inside before clipping herself in again and dropping down the next of the three sides. A small group of students, mostly male, had gathered to watch the process and make the odd cat-call.

It wasn't the only odd preparations that were going on that day. Deep under the quad, in Containment Unit 12, a Strike Team of Minions led by the gray-skinned Specimen 34 was making it's own preparations to enter the Archway...

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm

"I'm not finding it." Josh peered at the screen of his multi-spectrum recorder, meter, and analysis device. Or, as it was more commonly called, his tricorder.

The class had been broken up into small groups in order to explore the various functions of the unit. This was done through a scavenger hunt, of sorts, where the group tried to use their tricorders to uncover various bits of information that would lead them on to the next clue. He'd studied up on the device as part of his preparatory studies as there were explicit warnings that it would get a lot of use. There were no warnings that it would be this old. Still, it was a sturdy device and quite capable but he still hadn't found what he was looking for. Or at least thought he was looking for.

"Let me see it," Kamilia asked, putting out a slender hand to wait for the requested device. She had already found the next clue, of course, but teamwork was important and merely pushing the team ahead wouldn't help her. There was a little hesitation as he handed it over though, and she looked at him oddly as she began to poke through the functions, holding it out so he could watch.

"Adjust for this band... Isolate the range. Then you need to switch to the..." She looked down the list of various functions. The device was highly customizable, even if it was old, and many students ended up making their own functions to automated regularly used processes. But this one was... "The titcorder function!?"

She opened it up as Josh reached and tried to grab for the device, sweeping down through the various settings and reading them aloud, "Bra Type, Coverage, Physical Activity..." Josh was already growing red in the face but at the bottom there was an entry for previous scans. She poked it and looked through the list, "Hey! I'm on here!"

"So!" she said, turning and arching her back, shoving her chest out, "You like these, do you?" Holding up the titcorder, she offered it back to him but as he tried to take it she grabbed his wrist, rolled her back and sent him flying high over her shoulder into the wall behind her. "Maybe you should add a setting that will check for augments, you asshole!"

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

GEC-684, Hanson's Kneecap...

Erik sighed and sank into the over-stuffed chair in one corner of his expansive office, his hands laced behind his head, and looked up to the vaulted stone ceiling with his eyes locked on nothing in particular. High on one wall there was a rectangular window, with a planter box underneath, and motion there caught his eye. A few small near-birds had discovered the space and had made it their home. Somewhere up there a nest of some type was likely being laid and the soft-shelled eggs laid by the local repti-avians would soon hatch.

Sigh...

"Total disaster..." he began to mutter to himself. "Pissed all over that idea."

The Ojeni on Crowe's Gibbet, the next planet over in the Parson's Shoal system, had done just that though not literally. Every one of the amphibian craftsmen who he'd approached had turned him down cold, and the one he'd managed to get anything out of had stated outright it was because of his labor policies.

"Bunch of wet hippies."

Up at the high window the near-birds had gone silent, several of them flitting out into the sunlight in a flash, and he turned away to find something else to occupy his attention. His gaze fell to the carved entryway that surrounded the enormous plank-wood door that guarded his private domain. It was carved to suggest a pair of women, beautiful in the voluptuous style of the belly dancer, each with their arms up and hips locked mid-sway.

"A blowjob..." That would take his mind off things quite nicely!

With a thought, he pulled up his augmented interface and began poking through his various choices but... That was their job. He wanted something new and interesting. Maybe there was someone who was willing, for the right amount, to... A shiver of movement up at the window drew his attention again. Back again? He looked up just in time to see the small flash of flame that was the last thing he ever saw.

Moments later an hourglass figure rose from the concealing foliage, raised the suppressed pistol again, and put two more rounds into the still figure's chest before tossing the weapon down to clatter across the tiled floor. Fingers clung to the hanging flower box for several seconds and then released to send the young woman tumbling down the last couple meters to the floor. Stumbling to her feet, she pulled the sand-colored cloth hood she'd been wearing off and advanced on the body of her former boss.

She'd spent plenty of time on her knees in front of him, and she didn't even want to kneel to check if he was somehow still alive. A sharp slap across the face served instead, though it was unlikely that anyone with a hole in their head would be faking it, and then another to be double-sure. Looking around the room she spied the expensive and cliche rug in front of the desk. Grabbing his ankles, the neko tugged him out of the chair.

"Ugh." The blood trail down the fabric meant it would need to be replaced, but first to replace him.

Dragging his body over to his desk, she turned on his computer and waved his limp hand in front of it to log 'him' into the system. Dropping his cooling body onto the rug, as was only proper, she began to type her way through the various screens and menus that would transfer control over to herself. It took her nearly an hour as well as several more waves of the bloody hand in front of the screen, but finally she felt like she'd found it all.

A sound roused her from her work and she looked up.

The birds were back and peeping merrily.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Heral Island, eP'rk Prime...

Demi Love, Sunset Ambassador at Large, looked down at the hatchet-faced P'rk in the fantastically cut uniform that looked like it was right out of the Third Reich and ever so casually tossed the mass of wires and heavy metal components onto the conference table in front of him.

"What is..."

"Lord Colonel Galiem, your government wants you dead." Looking up from the representative of Lareli and in turn General Lareli, the replacement for the now-late General Xayth, she looked at all the other gathered representatives in turn. Especially those from Kar and Cheiwyr, the General's erstwhile allies. "This, and the device it was attached to, was discovered in a sea cave under the island less than an hour ago."

The three men, who had been seated next to each other - all of the various representatives, aside from Demi, were men - shifted back from the table a bit.

"I did not..."

"You didn't know? You weren't meant to, Lord Colonel. A heroic martyr for the cause of General Lareli..." Again she looked at the two P'rk sitting beside him. Kar had been a long-time ally of Xayth/Lareli, but Cheiwyr was a recent addition to the Triad according to the intelligence. Focusing on the broadly feminine but decidedly bland form of the uniformed Cheiwyr representative, she continued. "Spurring the people of Lareli on to new heights of courage and struggle."

Her implication was clear. The General would willingly sacrifice the representative, and by extension the people of Cheiwyr, for his own nation. That was in fact what he was doing, though the two lesser members of the Triad seemed unwilling to see it. It was classic national psychology; All three had had substantial losses and, instead of wisely pulling back and limiting their losses, they were preparing to risk it all to gain back what they had lost. Her goal was to turn his next large gamble to her own purposes.

"Madam Ambassador..." The Lord Colonel pushed himself away from the table, "If you'll excuse me for a moment, I must consult with..." Who? His allies, who had also been mere moments away from a searing death? His government which had sent him to die?

The two men beside him looked at him, the representative from Kar only slightly less angry than that of Cheiwyr, "If this is true, Lord Colonel..."

Demi interrupted again, "The proof is before you," she nodded towards the device. "You've been sent here to die, Lord Colonel Galiem."

Now for her own gamble.

"One must wonder," Demi mused, "Why the General would want to kill not only his enemies - perfectly understandable - but his allies and, one would think, his most trusted subordinate as well?"

There it was. Would he rise to the bait? Or would he take just a little more of a push? She watched the mental gears turn behind those hard gray eyes. Was he as loyal as all that? Willing to die for his country? Even if he didn't die here, Demi knew he'd die when he returned to his homeland, treaty in hand, a 'puppet of the enemy and the vile off-worlders'. In fact that's where her own plan had come from, a scheme concocted after a little bird (literally) had whispered in her ear about General Lareli's plans for his subordinate.

He needed another push.

"A man loyal to His country, loved by it's people for His stalwart defense of the state." The emphasis was on the 'his' and it was hard to make her meaning clear without resorting to an outright suggestion of revolution. "The real hero of His State and His country." She was laying it on thick, and everyone else at the table could understand the idea she presented, but the dull man was just not picking it up.

Fortunately for her, his allies were willing to cover her. Looking across him at each other, they nodded and turned, pulling him back for a whispered conversation. Slowly the man's betrayed look turned to one of guile and potential. While they talked, she looked over at their mutual foes, the representatives from Fath and Romash. It had been Fath and M'kr, but like General Xayth, Chairman M'kr had been killed in the limited nuclear exchange that had brought the five to the table in the first place. It was Demi's job to keep it from becoming an unlimited exchange.

The trio finally returned to the table and the remaining three looked at them expectantly.

"With certain assurances, we would agree to an armistice," he looked over to Demi, a lust for power bare on his face, "Peacekeeping troops, provided by your nation, as has been suggested." Which, combined with the forces promised by Kar and Cheiwyr, would make his revolution neat and tidy. Once he ousted Lareli, he could then hold the Sunset forces hostage in exchange for either the long-term peace he needed to solidify his power or in exchange for the technology he'd need to defeat his enemies.

It was a big gamble, but that's exactly what the psychologists said would happen. Present him with a loss, and give him the option to take the loss or make a bigger gamble.

Ambassador Love looked over at the representatives of Fath and Romash, who both nodded. They weren't stupid, though they hadn't been able to overhead the conversation as Demi had, and they'd spend the armistice term preparing their own forces with the new technologies that Sunset was providing. When it was over, if the Triad hadn't collapsed under it's own power struggles, they'd be ready to institute their own new world order.

"Then, gentlemen, let's talk details..."

There was Demi's gamble. Would the P'rk be able to sort themselves out into a reasonable world government, or would the elimination of their enemies provide just the wrong kind of temptation and result in a spate of Empire building? In the short term it had been worth the sacrifice of the microwave in her suite.
Last edited by Sunset on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:07 pm

SDF Research Center Zero, Ares, Ares System...

"Well, it's certain... special." Rear Admiral Tsa Weme'iye watched the oddly shaped ship slowly revolve in the holosphere in front of him, the outer skin peeling away to be replaced with an interior frame mock-up, scrolling list of systems and facilities and crew levels. "What is it?"

The report had been on his desk (virtually, at least) for a month but since it didn't have the usual 'Urgent!' or 'Really Urgent' in the subject heading, he'd let it slide. Until a gaggle of developers and engineers had shown up at his office to present their design to the cervitaur for final approval.

'Final approval?' That didn't sound right. Normally new ship designs were supposed to go through Fleet for approval after being review by... Grand Admiral Kradoyr. Who was still MIA. He checked the schedule and his calendar and yes, the design had already gone through several rounds of reviews and was being sent over to the SEC for review by the (likely purposefully) missing Grand Admiral. Which brought it down to him, since he was the designated liaison with Fleet.

"It is..." One of the lead designers started but suddenly another interrupted. She'd sensed weakness and it was time to strike!

"The new Anomaly-Class Galactic Explorer!" The perky young woman enthused. Well, she looked young at least. She was an elf - not a Menelmacari elf, but definitely pointy and all too bubbly. "Admiral Kradoyr sent out the specifications for the design before she left!"

"Oh," Weme'iye looked over the odd design again. It was just now putting it's clothes back on. If it was the Grand Admiral's idea then it would be her responsibility as well, wouldn't it? "Fantastic! It really looks great!"

"Thank you, Admiral! Now, there's some last minute details you need to sign off on..."

"Sure," he took the holopad that suddenly appeared in the young woman's hands and skimmed over the details. It was mostly technical information, production details, and the like, and he put his signature on it without noticing the important part. "There you go! So... What's the purpose?"

"Galactic exploration, Admiral," one of the other researchers explained with a sigh. "It's right in the name."

"We already do that, don't we?" There were plenty of Venture and Curiosity-Class ships out there, why did they need a third?

"No..."

"This is galactic exploration!" The young developer broke in again, "As in, these will be going to different galaxies!"

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:50 pm

SDF Research Station Zero, Ares, Ares System...

"Huh. You are aware how far away the next galaxy is, right?"

The young researcher nodded vigorously, "Sure. About two point five million light years, give or take. The Milky Way is about a hundred and twenty..."

Which, at the cruising speed of the faster SDF starships, would take about four months by space-warp drive. Instantly, if they used their tesseract drive but that would leave them stranded there for the equivalent period while the drive recharged. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Which meant...

"So, about seven years to get there? Nevermind getting back," the cervitaur questioned. There were only a few people he'd want to spend even a year trapped aboard a starship with, much less a decade and a half.

"They'd use the tesseract," Asira explained. It was actually 'We would' since, according to the orders he'd barely skimmed, the young elf was now part of the crew of the Anomaly. "The class is designed around long-duration exploration. It's a big ship, small crew, lots of capacity... Even the systems are built as low-tech as possible inside the mission parameters. Some of them can be repaired with a soldiering iron and a ten-penny nail!"

"Some of the crew would enter medium-duration chemical hibernation," one of the other researchers explained. "And either young age or a long lifespan is a requirement for service. So elves, bajoni, kitsune, trilat... cyborgs too."

"And a whole galaxy to investigate!"

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

The question of just who the gods were, if they were indeed gods, was going to have to wait. Elice had already decided that on the walk back from the ceremony, but after a few more days of consideration it was reasonably clear. If she went off to investigate and she was uncovered, the tribe would undoubtedly drive her away or even try to kill her. Better to just study, ask questions, and keep the question of the mysterious 'gods' for the next cycle.

"No warrior may lay with another," the yellow-skinned Xypindi continued. "The gods have forbidden it, as it is unnatural."

Which was interesting, since there were only so many males to go around. The reward for an existence of servitude? Maybe not. Judging by all the children running around, the males were kept suitably busy at night ensuring the tribe's growth. But this was offset both by losses among the warriors and by a shockingly high infant mortality rate, with accompanying deaths among the mothers. She'd been tempted to pull out the manual and give them a fighting chance but once again, any birth was a religious ceremony.

Plenty of kenj was consumed, and the mother-to-be took several bowls of the sacred draught into the hut with her. The Mother of Us All was there, her role more than symbolic, as well as the mother's immediate kin. Speaking of the sacred draught...

"If I may, where do you get the ingredients for the draught?" Elice asked.

"The Mother of Us All is the only one who knows that," the warrior responded. "It is one of her duties."

Another interesting bit of data. From what she could tell, the Mother of Us All was a bit derpy. More than a bit. And looking at the other representatives from the other tribes... It would make sense for the gods to select someone who was a little less than bright to run the tribe.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 pm

SDF Research Center Twenty Three, Denali, Yukon System...

"Commander..."

Uomo Tibitoski turned, the slender cyborg frame moving smoothly on it's quadrapod feet, it's wearer ready to answer yet another question about the construction that was underway all around him. Everywhere was light and noise with concrete being sprayed onto freshly cut walls, masking materials being layered over that, and various bits of equipment and supplies being moved into finished spaces or hauled out of those that were about to receive some new installation. The two officers, their uniforms clean and lacking the characteristic speckling of splashed concrete, spattered paint, or adhered fluff, were clearly either new or had just come back on duty.

The case the two carried between them didn't look like construction equipment, however. It too was clean, and marked with a designation he didn't immediately recognize.

"SDF-8201? That's..."

"Corona, Commander," the closest of the two answered. "It's your first assignment."

"Fantastic," Tibitoski looked around him, drawing the pair's gaze as well. "Where?"

"It's not a rush," the other shrugged. Like the Commander, they were both wearing the gray-trimmed uniforms of SDFIntel. In fact, everyone at the facility was, right down to the automated tunneling engineer. That it was not a rush made it a little odd, but both the weird and the odd were as much the order of the day at Intel as they were in the Exploration Command. "Pretty simple, really."

They set the case down, thumbed the biometric lock, and cracked it open. Inside was another smaller case. This one had transparent walls and a noticeable energy field sparkling against them. Beyond that was something that looked decidedly like a finger, if one's finger was covered with dull silver scales.

"What is it?"

"This," the first one pulled out the case, "Is a finger. Formerly one of several. But that's not important right now. Right now, what's important is that you start figuring out how to clone this."

Cloning wasn't a big deal. Sunset had been doing it in one form or another for a century and a half. Fast-clones were commonly grown for medical experiments, limbs were cloned to replace those lost in accidents. Everything from organs to full bodies, it was essentially routine. The only thing that would make it less than routine was either danger or rarity.

"Which is..."

"A dragon."

Ah. So it was both.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

SDF-Yangtze, Near the Core...

"So you're from a post-singularity civilization, right?"

"Yes, that is correct," the i-We flashed it's response to the doctor's question in a series of subtle bursts of light, the results of complex interactions between the associated energy fields that made up it's being. These were in turn translated by the drone that kept station inside the being's body, a silvery spindle that looked sharp enough to jab right through the thick blonde woman.

"Alright, then what does a post-singularity person like yourself do for fun on a Saturday night?"

"Meddle."

"Huh?"

"Doctor Brilla," A call from behind her interupted her next question and she turned to where Doctor Tithral was standing next to one of the various consoles scattered around the bridge of the Yangtze, a uniformed technician at the controls. "We're ready."

"Oh, cool! Let's see what this puppy can do!"

Jogging over to the console - surprisingly quickly for a woman of her weight class - she nudged the taller bajoni doctor aside so she could look over the technician's shoulder. His console showed the various controls for the massive station that floated a few thousand kilometers away from the starship and directly in the middle of the largest of the various nebula streams that fed the singularity. Many of the controls were labelled with a question mark; Even now the i-We hadn't fully explained what some of them did.

Just as the various controls and settings were incomplete, so was the station. While technically many times the size of the Venture D-Class starship that hung off it's port side (if such a thing was definable) it was mostly empty volume. A framework held the power generators, field generators, and various bits of control structures, but there were no living spaces and only a small part of it's structure had been furnished with an outer hull. Even this was a demonstration; Just enough to show what the finished structures would look and function like when done.

"Starting test sequence..."

The technician pressed several buttons and immediately the readings jumped, power surging through from the generators into the field emitters and creating an immense gravity well that encompassed the wide swath of the streaming nebula. Looking over to the main screen they could see the visible effects; A slow motion pile-up of the scattered gasses, something like a giant wave front that began to form and then, suddenly surge forward.

"Ending test sequence," he announced.

Other technicians began to read off the results, in broad terms, although it would be several hours before the pause in the current and the subsequent surge would reach the event horizon.

Watching the main screen, the big woman began to laugh, "Like a big ol' belch!"

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:10 am

Ixutsangi, Ixut System...

"Trinya..." Timmons triggered the shuttle's sliding side door, "Trinya? It's just about time to leave..."

"...yes, oh yes, oh god fu..."

And the door slid shut again, Timmons helping it along.

'Well,' he reflected. 'There's a first time for everything.'

The young explorer had been spending a lot of time with the equally young Cyar native for the past week. As long as it was consensual, who was he to judge? In fact it might yield important physiological data. Yeah...

There were still plenty to do before the pair left that wouldn't involve interrupting the two young lovers. They'd been in the Cyar homelands for nearly two weeks now, exploring the various tree-top settlements and picking up dozens of new species of plants. There were even several cages with small animals, kept as pets by the Cyar, which were cute enough that they'd likely find a good market back home. One of these had been a gift to Trinya from the young male Cyar she'd been making time with.

It was housed in an intricately carved wooden cage, it's furry whisker-rimmed face peering out from between the lattice and it's two enormous violet eyes watching his every move. The little creatures were very quiet and loving, cuddling up against their owner and anyone else who held them without caution or concern. They also breed like rabbits, which was a good thing since they tended to be incautious. Dangerous in the dizzying heights that the Cyar called home.

Aside from the various animals, there were also more samples of the thick-skinned fruit that Timmons found irresistible. Varieties in purple and green had been uncovered, as well as a delicious pink variant. One by one, he packed seeds and frozen samples away, as well as fresh fruits that would be enjoyed on the trip to their next stop. Between the Onaeric, the Dwalerd, the Ixut, and the Cyar, Timmons was extremely satisfied with his expedition and, if the Rutherford's other team had had similar success, they'd be looking at a new record for sentient species discovered.

A quiet hiss alerted him to the slide of the shuttle's door and he looked over to find Trinya and her companion emerging. She was wearing a rumpled-looking uniform blouse and a pair of panties and he was wearing what appeared to be her uniform trousers.

"Have fun?"

"Uh huh," she grinned, tossing out her long hair and straightening it a bit with her fingers. "Thanks for not interrupting."

"No problem. A sock on the doorknob would be good for the next time though."

"A sock on the doorknob?"

"College tradition," Timmons explained. "Hang a sock over your doorknob so that your roommate knows when you're going to be..."

"Oh! Oh, yeah. Maybe I'll... Send you a picture of a sock?" Trinya laughed.

The casualness of the conversation aside, the pair had been standing awfully quietly and close together. Which meant that something was up. Timmons closed up another transport crate and straightened.

"So... What do you want?"

"Lae and I were talking..." Timmons shot up an eyebrow at that one. Body language, sure, but from what he'd seen they hadn't been doing a lot of talking-talking but Trinya rushed on, "And he's coming with us."

"Oh. Okay."

"Really?!" Trinya looked like she was about ready to fall over, and for a moment she clung to her new paramour. "You're not going to..."

"Better than saying you're going to stay here," Timmons shrugged. "Then I'd have to explain that to your parents. And my superiors. If he wants to come along... Well," he looked the young cyar man up and down. He looked to be physical fit and he was obviously very tolerant of other species. "You'll have to express an interest in signing up. A potential applicant from a new species gets a bit of leeway in the process..."

"Oh! I, uhm..." The brown-skinned teenager looked down at Trinya, who nodded encouragingly. "I guess. Sure!"

"Alright. There's spare uniforms in the lockers..." Timmons looked pointedly down at Trinya's bare legs. "Then you can help us finish packing up. We're leaving as soon as the Rutherford calls. Oh, and Lae?"

"Yeah?"

"What about your parents?"

"Oh. They're happy to be rid of me. I'm the middle kid of nine."
Last edited by Sunset on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm

The Planet Som, A Rocky Defile, The Periphery...

Metal screamed and gore sprayed and the warrior flew back, propelled by the savage power of the blow, but Taidasha had no time to even consider her next. It was all instinct as blades rose and fell all around the troll, her heavy mace beating back the eager strokes of her opponents and lashing out when the opportunity presented itself. Another long sword, the favored weapon of her opponent, sliced through the air with a whistle and she stepped into it, taking the blow on her frightening shield and swinging the flanged mace up in a long arc.

The mailed fighter tried to step back and allow her blow to sail past but she was too swift, her long arms giving her a reach that the lesser men were unused to. Catching his arm just beyond the shoulder she pushed the blow, shattering the bone and then tearing the limb off with a sickening noise. Shrieking he slipped back and she leapt into the opening, beyond the long blades that had fenced her in, and her weapon beat out a terrible song on their bodies as she laid them low.

For many hours they came on, each wave of men seeking to throw her and those who stood with her from their narrow perch, but each time they stood and pushed them back. Finally, with the sun setting, the two armies parted and the Warlord of the North made her way back to the camp they had laid further up in a high mountain bowl. Trudging into camp behind her men, she tossed the shield aside and the blood-stained mace over one shoulder to dangle by it's thong.

"What of the enemy?" Despite the weariness in her feet, her voice was still strong and clear as she gave her first orders in many hours to those who guarded the camp.

"Warlord," they would still not address her as Sire, or even Lady, though they respected her power and her skill. "They have made camp as well. Their fires burn high, and they tend their wounded."

"Good." That meant they wouldn't be pressing the battle. Other opponents had been more aggressive; Leaving their wounded on the field and dispatching those who would slow them, they'd kept up the fight until she'd been forced to destroy them utterly. "Set a firm watch, and..."

"Warlord!" A call came from further down the defile and she turned to watch another guard, a young man who had been wounded earlier in their march, struggle up the incline while using his spear as a crutch. "The Kedarek," the name the enemy called themselves, "A small party approaches with a peace branch held high!"

Hearing this, a low murmur went through her camp and Taidasha nodded her approval. "Send them forward. I will treat with them, here."

During the winter she had sent the Kedarek chieftains a missive that she desired to parlay with them, send the sons and daughters of her chieftains to marry theirs, as well as other niceties. While their response had been tepid, it hadn't been the clear indication of their intent to invade that had arrived with their army in the spring.

"Send forward a doctor," she called out to the camp. That was another innovation the manual had brought. There was a whole school back in the capital that was training new men and women in the arts of medicine and sanitation. She'd have the man clean and tend to the wounds of the Kedarek, show them that her hand was kind as well as firm, and send them back to their army with clean bandages and a healthy dose of aspirin.

"Warlord..." One of the guards murmured, "They approach."

With a gesture she signaled the two into formation behind her and she waited, arms folded, as the Kedarek approached.

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Heral Island, eP'rk Prime...

"In for a penny, in for a pound," Demi mused over the lip of her martini glass as she watched the ship carrying Lord Colonel Galiem sail into the harbor at Haem, the new capital of what had been Xayth.

The old capital was now an ashen ruin, the result of a retaliatory nuclear strike by M'kr that had cost the life of General Xayth. She hadn't been there for the exchange, of course, but she'd heard it had been glorious. The General had stood on the city walls shaking his fist towards the heavens as a dozen interceptors had streaked out to strike the incoming ballistic missile from the skies and then ran in horror as every single one had missed. General Lareli had quickly assumed the reins of power and brought with him a new cadre of officers to continue the war.

The armistice negotiations had shown her why the Lord Colonel held his current rank. A man of stubborn belligerence and willful ignorance, he was the perfect middle manager. The type of personality that every worker feared and every executive loved. Every suggestion had been opposed on the most trivial grounds, every subtle suggestion passing straight through as though there were nothing inside the man's head.

"And so..." Demi watched as the ship continued it's approach, the camera following it as a crowd gathered at the pier. She didn't like the idea of getting so directly involved in nation building, but as soon as the intelligence assets had uncovered Lareli's plot she'd mentally prepared to get her hands dirty. Churning it's way sideways up to the dock, a gangway rolled up to meet it and the Lord Colonel appeared at the top.

Holding his hands up for silence, he began to speak...

----

Minutes earlier , a little bird dipped and swooped over the crowded streets of Haen, a squirming bundle grasped in it's talons. Anyone who witnessed it might assume it was carrying a morsel back to it's nest but the tiny mouse caught in it's claws seemed more concerned with staying there than struggling to escape.

'You're going to drop me!'

'Am not. Now stop squirming!'

Another flap and the pair crested a stark stone wall that rose several meters around a slope-walled building that overlooked the broad harbor. Once it had been a fortress, as evidenced by the walls and the old gun casements that sat behind them, but now it was the Palace and the fresh gray and green flag of Lareli fluttered from the top of every tower.

Below them dozens of men and women labored. When the old capital had died, Haen had been selected to replace it and the whole city was being refurbished to bring it up to the standards expected of a national capitol. For a people at war, this meant weapons were being installed in the old casements and soldiers housed on the grounds. The palace itself swarmed with men, the many-layered edifice receiving a fresh coat of the blue-gray paint that the government of Lareli seemed to prefer for nearly everything.

'Look out!'

The bird pulled it's wings in and dropped like a stone as a boxy flier nearly splashed the pair across it's windscreen. They were new; the trapezoid shape familiar along with the octagonal ducted lift system. It wouldn't have looked out of place with a thick shouldered paragon of humanity stuffed inside the ring turret on top, but as the P'rk were half their size the vehicle's commander and a gunner for the heavy automatic cannon mounted there filled it instead, their long hair streaming behind them as they flew around the palace in a lazy circle.

'Next time... Idiot,' the mouse squeaked.

'Won't be a next time.' With a quick motion, the bird flicked it's legs forward and opened it's talons to send the tiny mouse dropping through the air to land in a heap on the open balcony at the front of the palace. After a moment it too came to rest on the balcony, perched on the railing and ruffling it's feathers in imitation of the real McCoy.

The door was slightly ajar - one of the workmen had likely left it open as he'd come in and out to paint - and the mouse scurried through the gap into the room beyond. It wasn't the General's bedroom, but rather a long hallway that led towards a central stair and was lined with any number of doors. But the General's room was obvious. A pair of guards stood outside, and a loud discussion could be heard coming from inside. Hugging the wall, the mouse moved up until it was hiding in the shadow of a table leg just to the right of one of the two guards.

Patiently it waited until the discussion ended and, as the door opened from the inside, it made a quick dash around the corner and into the room. Across the open office, the General sat at his desk, a pocket computer in hand, while more functionaries stood around him working at their own desks or moving here and there. On one wall a giant map of the continent was spread out and various uniformed officers stood discussing what were undoubtedly their continued plans for the war to come.

It would have been useful to listen in, but the mouse had another mission.

Swiftly it slunk around the outside edge of the room, darting from shadow to cover and to shadow again, before it found itself looking at a mouse trap. Or whatever the local vermin was. It was a small piece of stiff card with a coating of very sticky glue. Whatever that smell was, it likely smelled better to the native species. A careful creep past and the mouse was behind the desk and the wheeled chair that held the General's slim form.

Time to strike.

He crept forward, inch by inch, careful to stay away from the wheels that would easily crush him or trap his long tail, until he was safely until the central support. Lareli was wearing boots - nice boots, in fact - but that wasn't as much of a hindrance as a help as the mouse was able to easily dash over and scale the General's heel without drawing attention. Clinging right at the cuff, he paused and opened wide.

"Owww!" Lareli roared, surging out of his desk and brushing at his pant leg. "Something bit me!"

The mouse had already dropped free and scampered for the desk while a half-dozen people ran to assist the General. Some looked on the floor, while others helped the man back into his chair and called for a medic. There was already blood soaking through his uniform, but he bravely remained at his desk while claiming it was just a scratch. Only when his eyes rolled up in his head and he collapsed forward was there any hint that something might be wrong, and by then the toxin had already killed him.

----

"Countrymen!" Lord Colonel Galiem held up his hands, "We stand in a moment of great change! A moment where the future of this nation will be decided, and I come to you to declare that it will be decided by people like you, and like me!"

'Especially like you,' Demi thought as she watched the broadcast. Word hadn't yet trickled out that the General was dead - assuming he was dead, of course - but if the timing was perfect the news would arrive just in time for the Lord Colonel to seize power. Cleanly, bloodlessly.

"I bring with me an armistice, signed by our enemies and bowing to our demands, and soon..."

There was a crack and a scream and the Lord Colonel slumped.

"Well, shit." Demi looked down at her empty glass and walked over to the mini-bar. "I hate nation building."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates