NATION

PASSWORD

Terra Firma, Planning and discussion

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Why not have the cause of the Iraq-Iran War and the cause of the Gulf War rolled into one? The Iraq takes on the Iran while invading a Kuwait and managing to piss off everyone?

And the US drags NACO into it, and it just generally turns into a clusterfuck of an insurgency.

So Gulf War 1991, Iraq-Iran, Afghanistan 2001-whenever, and Iraq 2003 all into one conflict? Sweet.

Virarctova
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Virarctova » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Alright then, I'd be glad to host the Great Desert War. Tell me what you think of this:

In 1975 a militant regime comes to power in my nation, as they solidify control of the nation they create a moderate regional power while simultaneously a rival in the region if facing economic collapse due to exorbitant military spending in a desperate effort to modernize their armed force. Following as detente comes to a chilly end (if we have a Cold War that is) my nation plays both sides of the conflict to gather a respectable force for a while. By 1985, our rival's economy has collapsed and their nation is in chaos, seeing an opportunity to deal a death blow to a historic rival and simultaneously grab some of their expensive military equipment. In late 1985, claiming that we are attempting to "restore order and civility" to the nation and make quick progress across the splintered nation, this however puts my nation in a position to radically expand our control of the world oil market, this spread fears that we will not only have more control over the global market, but also will later launch further offensives to bring a major source of world oil into a personal monopoly- these realizations coincide with the revelation that we are committing atrocities and human rights violations- this gives the world in general an excuse to invade. Our military is not exactly the most advanced in the world, and we understand that, thus when invaded we put up minimal resistance, disband the infantry, put the government underground, and fought a Soviet-Afghan style insurgency campaign. Following nearly a decade of unsuccessful occupation, the world's resources are drained and its apparent that it's logistically impossible to beat us on our own soil, and equally apparent that we aren't invading any neighbors for a while, so the war eventually comes to an end. This would not only allow me to change the government to an even more hostile government that the world replaced, and would grant some legitimacy to my intended claims of "defender of Islam."

Virarctova
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Virarctova » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

To everyone, I wasn't simply ignoring you with that last post- I was typing it while you were posting, so I'm just now reading them.

Though, it actually seems like we were all having very similar ideas, lol.
Last edited by Virarctova on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Boo-hoo! Nobody cares about Africa! :P
That said, IRL I'm very interested in Rhodesia, and considering that Rhodesia has its roots in history as a British colony, I think I may want to be a former Cordian colony somewhere in the south of Africa. Better yet, I should throw in an Irish-speaking populace.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Anacasppia wrote:Boo-hoo! Nobody cares about Africa! :P
That said, IRL I'm very interested in Rhodesia, and considering that Rhodesia has its roots in history as a British colony, I think I may want to be a former Cordian colony somewhere in the south of Africa. Better yet, I should throw in an Irish-speaking populace.

But this Rhodesia has international recognition?

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:

But this Rhodesia has international recognition?

That'd hinge on Cordian history. Also, Rhodesia was named after the dude who colonized it (Cecil Rhodes) so here it would prolly have to be named after...hmm.
Foederatae Anacaspiae

Call me Ana.
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey, I'm in Africa!
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Virarctova wrote:Alright then, I'd be glad to host the Great Desert War. Tell me what you think of this:

In 1975 a militant regime comes to power in my nation, as they solidify control of the nation they create a moderate regional power while simultaneously a rival in the region if facing economic collapse due to exorbitant military spending in a desperate effort to modernize their armed force. Following as detente comes to a chilly end (if we have a Cold War that is) my nation plays both sides of the conflict to gather a respectable force for a while. By 1985, our rival's economy has collapsed and their nation is in chaos, seeing an opportunity to deal a death blow to a historic rival and simultaneously grab some of their expensive military equipment. In late 1985, claiming that we are attempting to "restore order and civility" to the nation and make quick progress across the splintered nation, this however puts my nation in a position to radically expand our control of the world oil market, this spread fears that we will not only have more control over the global market, but also will later launch further offensives to bring a major source of world oil into a personal monopoly- these realizations coincide with the revelation that we are committing atrocities and human rights violations- this gives the world in general an excuse to invade. Our military is not exactly the most advanced in the world, and we understand that, thus when invaded we put up minimal resistance, disband the infantry, put the government underground, and fought a Soviet-Afghan style insurgency campaign. Following nearly a decade of unsuccessful occupation, the world's resources are drained and its apparent that it's logistically impossible to beat us on our own soil, and equally apparent that we aren't invading any neighbors for a while, so the war eventually comes to an end. This would not only allow me to change the government to an even more hostile government that the world replaced, and would grant some legitimacy to my intended claims of "defender of Islam."

This seems like a solid idea.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:

Hey, I'm in Africa!

:unsure: Carthage?
Foederatae Anacaspiae

Call me Ana.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Anacasppia wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
Hey, I'm in Africa!

:unsure: Carthage?

Yeah. Northern Africa.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Virarctova
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Virarctova » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Also, did anyone care to assist the poor, defenselessness, kind, humble, Islamic nation? Lol, if I had allies I may have been able to put up a traditional fight longer before being forced to resort to Mao Zedong's On Guerilla Warfare, though insurgent and terror tactics would probably be more fun to right about regardless.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Virarctova wrote:Also, did anyone care to assist the poor, defenselessness, kind, humble, Islamic nation? Lol, if I had allies I may have been able to put up a traditional fight longer before being forced to resort to Mao Zedong's On Guerilla Warfare, though insurgent and terror tactics would probably be more fun to right about regardless.

Sorry. Too damn busy to care about anything other than winning our civil war. After 1991, I'd be on NACO's side anyways.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd like to RP as a sort of federation that mostly borders the Caspian Sea, and is mostly in the northern Caucasus. It will consist of what are currently the modern day republics, oblasts, or provinces of Astrakhan, Dagestan, and Kalmykia.
I'm not sure how I would put these on the map that's being passed around in this thread, however, these are real life regions, so if necessary, I can try to find a good map of the region and highlight areas of it.
As for the history, whatever is the history of Russia and the Soviet Union up until it's breakup in this alternate universe will be most of it, the rest will go along something like this:
During the breakup of the Soviet Union, several of the regions in the northern Caucasus and around the Caspian Sea desired independence. Astrakhan and Kalmykia, both desiring independence, declared themselves to be the first two members of a new federation. Despite the religious difference between the two, their unity was quickly strengthened by the regional politics. They soon found a rather major enemy in the form of Islam. Specifically, the Islamic International Brigade (If there are Chechen wars in this alternate universe, I'd love for this nation to participate in it), which often incited violence between the Muslims in Astrakhan and the rest of the population. Despite its low population of Muslims, Kalmykia was not spared from the religious tension, especially when an incident involving the Shura of Dagestan illegally crossing the border(despite not acts of violence being committed) spurred tension between the federation of Astrakhan and Kalmykia, and Dagestan and Chechnya. When a war erupted in Dagestan, with the Islamic International Brigade temporarily gaining the upper hand, this federation helped the Russian Federation in its invasion. However, when the Russians mostly left, the battles being over, Astrakhan and Kalmykia didn't. They restored the government of Dagestan that was briefly toppled, and offered an invitation into the federation. Dagestan accepted, but this didn't end the religious and ethnic tension between it and the other two members(This still exists to this day in this alternate universe) of the federation. It did, however, end the occupation, and Astrakhan and Kalmykia pulled their troops out. This eased the political tension, and over time, the federation began to function smoothly once more.

Do note that I'll be making an alt for this. When I get around to it, I'll post with it here. I also still have yet to think of a name for this federation. Any advice would be appreciated, and critiques, comments, and questions on the history are more than welcomed, as it's... Unrefined right now. And to add on, depending on what happens to Kazakhstan in this alternate universe, I would like for this federation to lay claim to the province known as Atyrau. Whether that means a war, an annexation, or it secedes and joins the federation is up to you guys.
Last edited by Vareiln on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

I suppose it should be asked: who's on which side? So far we've got tons of NACO, and not very much Warsaw Pact-equivalent.
New Terran Republic (FT)

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:I suppose it should be asked: who's on which side? So far we've got tons of NACO, and not very much Warsaw Pact-equivalent.

We're trying to find more people first. >.>

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Virarctova wrote:Also, did anyone care to assist the poor, defenselessness, kind, humble, Islamic nation? Lol, if I had allies I may have been able to put up a traditional fight longer before being forced to resort to Mao Zedong's On Guerilla Warfare, though insurgent and terror tactics would probably be more fun to right about regardless.

Your nation and my nation are not exactly going to be on the friendliest of terms...

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:I suppose it should be asked: who's on which side? So far we've got tons of NACO, and not very much Warsaw Pact-equivalent.

Something tells me Puzikas is getting dibs on our Russia-equivalent.

Virarctova
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Virarctova » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Virarctova wrote:Your nation and my nation are not exactly going to be on the friendliest of terms...

That's entirely your choice... not if we're on good terms or not, but rather the choice to embrace and bow before glorious Islam as we reform the most blessed Sultanate. Join us. Resistance is futile.... and you're just about in our sphere of influence. How fun!

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

I think Puzikas wants west Russia, while San wants the east of it. Spree is more or less Czech, too.

I'm on NACO's side for IC self preservation reasons. Post cold war, though, I'm leaning away from them and eyeing my neighbours.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Virarctova wrote:
Vareiln wrote:

That's entirely your choice... not if we're on good terms or not, but rather the choice to embrace and bow before glorious Islam as we reform the most blessed Sultanate. Join us. Resistance is futile.... and you're just about in our sphere of influence. How fun!

It's going to be Eastern Orthodox, Buddhism, and Sunni Islam against Shia Islam...
Quite the religious conflict.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:

I think Puzikas wants west Russia, while San wants the east of it. Spree is more or less Czech, too.

I'm on NACO's side for IC self preservation reasons. Post cold war, though, I'm leaning away from them and eyeing my neighbours.

My firearms tech. is vastly similar (nearly identical) to Yugoslavia's, as well, so if my nation needs to be expanded into the Hungary/Romania/Yugoslavia/etc., that can easily be done... though I'm not sure how a small cluster of villages would be able to amass that kind of territory (unless we made a post-WWI-equiv. armistice that granted me more land and we did not require a revolt post-war to become sovereign)...

Medeshahr
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Medeshahr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 pm

I suppose I'll (Virarctova) will be posting under this name from here on in.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm

I could imagine Page having an antagonistic stance in regards to Islamic countries in this timeline.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Medeshahr
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Medeshahr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Page wrote:I could imagine Page having an antagonistic stance in regards to Islamic countries in this timeline.

Not sure if Christians are more tolerant than Muslims, maybe here. But there we'll probably be a fair distance from eachother, and weren't active in the Crusade against Pagan states, so any bias seems mostly cultural based- which is fine of course. Now if you'd like to arrange a reason for some mutual disdain, that would be perfectly fine also... maybe you invaded the Shahr with the rest of NACO, assuming you're a member.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Well much like every country that ever tried to invade IRL Russia, Page's "General Winter" probably would have murdered any crusaders before our armies even got to the field. :P

The House of Riveri dynasty basically comes into power at the start of the 20th century, King Jonathan the First basically abandons all the colonies (any third world countries who want a colonial history with me, I will work with you on it), just willingly grants them independence and bring the armies home, and closes us off to everyone. We're a very isolated country from the 1900's-1925ish, then on we are still very much neutral. King Jonathan II lets businessmen and tourists come to Page (~1925 - ~1948) and sort of eases us back on to the world scene very slowly. King Jonathan III opens up serious trade and Page has a place of importance in the world's stock markets for the first time in the late 1960's. And then finally King Jonathan IV brings us into alliances with liberal democracies, transforms Page into an open society...

We would have been active on the international scene, no major wars, nothing Vietnam sized but maybe something Gulf War sized, from the 70's through 90's. Then 2001 is the onset of the Civil War, monarchists win, King Daniel takes the throne and rules very autocratically, the constitutional monarchy is gone and it's an absolute monarchy again for the first time since the start of the 20th century, but Page stays allied with the liberal democracies.

Main problem with NACO is why wouldn't they have intervened during the Civil War if Page was a member-state, which is why I'm thinking we'd have some kind of observer status.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates