NATION

PASSWORD

A Modern World (AMW) Applications Center

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Fri May 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Does that look more natural, or less, friend? To me it looks like you've put on your pith (hat?), guzzled too much tea and have set about dividing up North America like the colony it so valiantly hopes to be.
Call me Ishmael.

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 pm

After mapping it out, yes.

Before:

After:

Also, providing there are no objections to the overall idea, I'm going to begin the process of factbooking tonight or tomorrow. The first order of business will be to drain population from the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, and spread them out throughout the claim. This is being done because of the fact that I don't really see a lot of people living there if the population of Washington, DC was syphoned into the population of Songac in Mod's claim. I will work out just where I'm going to put them tonight. Possibly increase the population of Charlotte to having an urban population of just over 1 million, since, as the financial capital of Icarie, it makes sense that more people would live there. Probably add some more to places like Norfolk, Raleigh, and Richmond as well.

As for the history, I kind of see Virginia being an Icarian possession with its roots in Mod's French Americans (at the time called Virginie), while New Anglia (RL North Carolina) and Mavisonia (RL South Carolina) were English possessions. That's about as specific as I have made the general history timeline in the beginning for now until I hear back from Walmington and Mod.
Last edited by Chrinthania on Fri May 17, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm for anything providing there's a bar.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Ah! For some reason, when you give me some perspective, it looks much more natural. Carry on. :)

Out of curiosity, AMW buffs, does anyone know why West Virginia's boundary is so funky in through there? What, during the Civil War, caused those particular counties (if they were, in fact, the same counties of the 1860s) to jump ship?
Last edited by The Amyclae on Fri May 17, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Ishmael.

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 pm

I had just read about this yesterday. Interestingly enough, the finger of West Virginia that creeps up the backside of Pennsylvania (yes, states do get freaky with each other) because, when it was part of Virginia, the state had sold deeds to land along the Ohio River already. Before railroads, they needed access to rivers, and one of the most valuable was the Mississippi and the Ohio leads you right to it. As far as the West Virginia/Virginia split, it came about during a political disagreement with Richmond during the Civil War.

The political discord with Richmond is based on the fact that almost all of West Virginia isn't suitable to the kind of plantations that needed slaves. They had no use for them in West Virginia. So, the lines upon which West Virginia separated from Virginia come about when a number of western Virginia counties decide to split, through political wrangling, to become a state because their fate was being decided by slave-owning voters. Of course, Union troops were already in parts of what is now West Virginia, and it's roughly along those lines the state splits into two giving us an unusual border where Virginia's northern border separated from the Potomac River.

The political wrangling is the most interesting part because only a lawyer can convince people that secession from Virginia was legal because the secession of Virginia was illegal. I have to find the video I watched by author Mark Stein where he spectacularly explains how that came to be. When I do, I'll link it.
Last edited by Chrinthania on Fri May 17, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garthurian
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Garthurian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

Application for heathen Hellenic nation in Central and/or south America, depending on what exactly territories are open.
In short:
Conventional Long Form: Federal Monarchies of Achadia
Conventional Short Form: Achadia
Government Type: Constitutional Federal Monarchy
Capital: Polyperchonia
Head of State: Wanax Aratus XI
Head of Government: Megas Ephoras Aristogeiton Pelangides
Legislature: Bicameral
Foundation story of the Achadia requires some changes in technological history of Europe. Ocean sailing vessels to be precise. Neither Greeks, neither Romans ever advanced further than galleys which is basically a coastal ship.
But they were capable- in theory- to build larger ships, capable of transatlantic voyage such as carracks.
However, Greeks & Romans operated only in Mediterranean sea (and coastal Gaul), thus newer even attempted to develop such vessels.
Such divergention from RW is eliminated with Migration Period, then (due to turmoil) technology fell out of use and eventually was forgotten, making transatlantic voyages one of ancient wonders such as aqueducts or Roman roads.
That given...

According Herodotus, first peoples to learn about lands far west from the Pillars of Hercules were Phoenicians, but Greeks were first to establish permanent colonies there. By 5th century BC were was four colonies in the islands of Xuthian Sea (RW: Caribbean Sea): Polyperchon and Krauson, founded by Corinthians and Achaeans, Amphiopolis (founded by Beotians) and Hyblaea (founded by Ionians). Due to distance from Greece, semi-isolated colonies were struggling for survival for more that two centuries. Situation improved after Alexander the Great. Rise of large empires led to construction of larger navies and ships. While transatlantic voyages remain problematic at best, relations between colonies and homeland become regular and more newcomers began to arrive.
Alliance of Four Cities, established in 472 BC, began to expand rapidly and in 100 BC- already known as Achaean League- consisted of 11 members.
Rise of Rome- and its naval might- once again helped League. For few centuries Achaeans had a reliable trade partner and source of manpower. While capable empire builders, Romans had from time to time to deal with rebellious Celts and Germans and soon America become preferred place for deportation, especially because Achaeans were willing to pay handsomely.
For deportees themselves it was best option too: while alternatives were extermination (like after rebellion of Boudicca) or slavery in Roman latifundias or mines, in Achaea were granted to personal freedom and land.In middle of third century- first decades of fourth, last stage of Achaean-Roman relations, number of Germanic foederati were brought in to Achaea. While small in number, they had revolutionary effect.
Because of technological superiority compared to natives, military of the Achaeans remains as it was in time of Persian wars- while Roman military technologies were known, Achaeans never see reason to employ them.
However, by that time Mayans and Teotihuacans- already under strong influence of Hellenism- adopted Greek-style military and continental holdings of League found themselves under siege.
In response, Achaeans adopted Germanic style warfare- especially cavalry- to counter it.
Beginning of the 4th AD also marked end of relations with Europe. Due to turmoil in Roman empire,
trade stopped. In same time, while fighting Mayans and Teotihuacans, Achaeans undergone large political and social changes. For centuries, cities of the League were led by military aristocracy, headed by tyrants. Naturally, with time, position become hereditary. While founders of the League were hostile towards very idea of monarchy, by the 4th century most of Achaeans had Celtic or Germanic background. While fully Hellenized, they held no such regardiations and tyrants began to claim kingship. This led toward disintegration of old system and by late 6th AD Achaea was a group of petty fiefdoms and Europe become a remote myth.
Dark Ages ended in late 9th AD with Achaean lands were unified in to Kingdom of Achadia. Newly formed realm began to expand and in 1036 first settlement on the Pacific shores was established.
New page of the history began in 1506, then contacts with Europe were reestablished.

It is very sketchy, but- I presume- it have more than few contradictions with established AMW chronology, and its probably best to flesh-out origins before moving on. Also it much depends how other nations would react on re-discovery of Achadia.

Federal Monarchies is, well... federation of 15 kingdoms. Each kingdom operates under its own constitution and in result ruling systems are quite diverse: Kingdom of Ptolemion, with long history as military border, remains autocratic, while Kingdom of Onchesmus have king only as figurehead.
King (Basileus) of Polyperchon also is Wanax of the entire realm (RW: Wanax means something like “high king” and is only found in works of Homer) presiding over the Council of Kings- nominally supreme body of the federal government but its role is purely nominal.
The actual head of the executive branch is Prime Minister (Megas Ephoras), head of cabinet. He is- formally- responsible to Council of Kings, but due factual inactivity of the former, he and the rest of ministers (Ephores) are dependent from bicameral parliament (Apella).
Legislative functions belongs mainly to the Lower House (Ekklesia), formed by popular vote. For a bill to pass in to law approval of majority in Ekklesia is enough. Upper House (Areopagus), while have no power to pass the bill in to the law, held right to veto Ekklesia approved bill (in this case bill returned to Ekklesia, were process starts again).
Main function of the Areopagus (made of the representatives of the kingdoms, elected in local parliaments) is to form and supervise executive and judicial branches of government. Areopagus alone forms new cabinet (Ekklesia, however, have right to veto proposed cabinet, in which case Areopagus must start anew) and appoints new judges.
To add the fun, parliamentary committees (bill must pass committee before coming to the Ekklesia floor for vote) are composed from members of bout houses.

Next to 15 kingdoms there are 23 regions that are not represented in Apella. It is self-governing areas of Native Americans under control of local chieftains (Archons). Achadians made use of Roman feoderate policy and granted allied natives-known as Hetaeria- wide autonomy. During time number of Hetaeria and land under they control decreased significantly, but small patches of this ancient institution remains scattered across Federal Monarchies.

While last of ancient emigrants brought Arian Christianity, it never become widespread. Achadians remain to practice they traditional cults and honor gods of ancient homeland.
While there was an attempt to establish centralized state cult based around worship of Poseidon but with little success.
Then relations with Europe were lost, preservation of culture and religion become increasingly important to intellectual circles. The center of intellectual life at the time was Library of Hyblaea, center of Neoplatonism in Achadia. In here, somewhere between 532 Ad and 569 AD Adrastidus of Hyblaea wrote his major works Mega Kosmogenia and Mega Theologia. First work is basically a compilation of Homerus, Hesiodus, Apollonius Rhodius, Epic Cycle, Aristophanes etc. Mega Kosmogenia debates the origin of Universe, genealogy of gods and Greek mythology, were Adristidus attempted to solve contradictions of various sources by building consistent family three of gods & heroes and provide chronology for mythic world.
Mega Theologia is description of rites and rituals for more than 200 deities.
After establishment of the Kingdom of Achadia, centralized religion soon arose. In 925 AD Gerousia Hierophantes was established. At first it consisted of 12 hierophants, representing 12 Olympian gods, but latter was expanded to 20 adding positions for other popular deities like Heracles and Asklepios.
However, Gerousia Hierophantes, should not be considered Achadian Papacy. Gerousia does not manages temples and priesthood on the daily bases. Temples are build and supported by communities of worshipers, while priesthood are much more complicated. Only major temples have full time priests (Dadouchos) employed by communities (due to such manner of religious funding, in many places religious and civil authorities may overlap. For example most of the temples are funded in the form of local tax). In most cases rites are performed by prominent figures of community.
Duties of Gerousia are to give observe that rites are conducted properly, according Mega Theologia and to give final judgment on religious issues.
Total number of Gerousia staff is barely over 2000 persons, most of whom works in Hesiodika- a publishing house that supplies realm with religious literature from psalm lyrics to step-by-step instructions how conduct one or another ceremony.
On the other hand, Gerousia should not by ignored, because civil authorities are required by law to support judgment of Hierophantes.

In simple terms it goes like this:
Lets say, you have piece of land on the seashore and think that it would be nice to have a shrine for one of daughters of Okeanos here. Lets say Galaxaure, because why not.
First option is to hire a licensed priest and he will do everything for you. But that is nothing more that unnecessary expenses.
All you need is to take exam and gain Dadouchos of Okeanide license. Secondly you must address Gerousia about worship of Galaxaure. Hierophantes will dig in to they archives and here is two possible outcomes- if there already is (or was) cult of Galaxaure, you will get instructions of rites and ceremonies based on that cult. If you first to worship this particular deity, Gerousia will compose such instructions based on what Mega Theologia says about worship of Oceanids (established traditions in similar cults can also play role).
As rituals for minor figures are much alike, it wont take much time either way.
While you have some freedom in giving final form of the cult, here is some things to avoid:
a) only use texts published by Hesiodika or with authorization of Hesiodika (using of unauthorized text- no matter how canonical- will result in jail form 5 to 7 years. Publishing of unauthorized texts usually ends with no less than 10 years jail time).
b) if some of your rites/rituals/whatever does not regulated by given instructions, but there is no direct confrontation wit canon, Gerousia will form commission to decide if such practice is appropriate. If decision is against continuing this particular rite, you should abandon it at once or face 15 to 25 years in jail.
c) if, gods forbid- your practices contradicts canon directly you are facing 25 to lifetime penalty or even death sentence in extreme cases.

And that’s how paganism works.
Last edited by Garthurian on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cassanos
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cassanos » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello and welcome, Garthurian.
First of all, let me say that I like your application. It is creative and quite interesting, especially the idea of a forgotten European colony overseas. However, you should be aware that AMW's history (as you noted) is sometimes quite different from RL history. For instance, Rome did, in fact, set out to colonize parts of South Asia. So this part of your nation's origins would theoretically work out quite well, but you would definitely have to discuss these things with the players who hold the territory your history depends on, since they have the final say in the history of their nations.
These would be, at least, Chrinthanium, who plays the (West) Roman Empire and Jatriqya & Hoya for the Byzantine Empire, and maybe Nova Gaul for Emese, the Roman Empire of the Far East. Possibly also Beddgelert and myself for some of the Celtic/Germanic details.

They are the ones you shoulkd work with, but for what it's worth, I have no problem with a bunch of Germanic foederati appearing every now and then.
Fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello there, Garthurian!

First, I'm the guy who does the whole Western Roman Empire, so I'm pleased to see someone taking Rome and making it far more technologically advanced in AMW than it was IRL. While Rome may have had the ability to build trans-Atlantic ships, there's a feasibility issue with it being done nearly 5 centuries before the common era. Back then, Rome didn't have the naval power it had by the time they defeated Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium. And Rome wasn't really a naval powerhouse in the strict sense of the term. It had, basically, made a navy upon with soldiers would stand, then fight army style on board ships. The voyage itself would be excutiatingly long for anyone of the time, even if we stretch the imagine owing to this all being a game of pretends and what ifs. Rome has, traditionally, see the Mediterranean as it's nucleus, and that is something I haven't changed in AMW.

There's also the idea of Romans and Greeks running into the Caribbean and contracting tropical diseases their immune systems were ill-prepared to fight and the idea of the Romans and Greeks being extremely outnumbers by the native peoples that were there at the time. There's a lot against Romans, since that's all I can officially speak for, being successful in any attempt at colonization in the Caribbean, be it when they were expanding in the 400s BCE, or when they were at their zenith in the 100s CE.

Though, if we are to go along with the notion that Rome and Greece and other nearby peoples could have taken this trip and made it work without running into real technological constraints, I'm more-than-happy to lend Rome to your history.

I love the history, just not certain if it works geographically. Outside of that, I can say that I think you'll be an asset to our community and I will support you for membership.

United Kongo
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kongo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 am

Interesting application I like its premise and ideas

As a suggestion, if you are not to set on America then perhaps Africa could offer an alternate placement as given the Roman involvement in South East Asia and tradition Rome/Greek trade routes East Africa or even West or Central Africa could be potential areas.

But otherwise the idea seems solid and i have no objection to the americas

Garthurian
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Garthurian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm

First of all, thanks for support to all.

Chrinthania wrote:While Rome may have had the ability to build trans-Atlantic ships, there's a feasibility issue with it being done nearly 5 centuries before the common era. Back then, Rome didn't have the naval power it had by the time they defeated Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium. And Rome wasn't really a naval powerhouse in the strict sense of the term. It had, basically, made a navy upon with soldiers would stand, then fight army style on board ships. The voyage itself would be excutiatingly long for anyone of the time, even if we stretch the imagine owing to this all being a game of pretends and what ifs.
It was not Romans, but Greeks & Phoenicians who discovered America and developed ships. What Romans knew about transatlantic voyages, they got it from Greeks.
Chrinthania wrote:Rome has, traditionally, see the Mediterranean as it's nucleus, and that is something I haven't changed in AMW.

And there is no need for change that: Achadia is simply to far for Romans to take over or to have any real influence. Achadia and Rome were trade partners, nothing more. And for Romans, I think, Achadia always was only a marginal place at the end of the world. It was Achadians who were interested in maintaining relations.

In OOC sence, Rome is needed to avoid Adam and Eve Plot- colonies founded in 5 BCE should be assimilated or annihilated or simply died out realistically speaking. Relations with Roman empire allows to establish population large enough for self-sustaining.
Chrinthania wrote:I love the history, just not certain if it works geographically.

Why? Caribbean region seems to be natural place for first colonies.
United Kongo wrote:As a suggestion, if you are not to set on America then perhaps Africa could offer an alternate placement as given the Roman involvement in South East Asia and tradition Rome/Greek trade routes East Africa or even West or Central Africa could be potential areas.

Could work in theory, but locating Achadia in Africa undermines whole "isolated for millennia" piece of story. And it is essential for preserving paganism- old religion could not survive being to close to Christianity or (later) Islam.
On the other hand, South Africa could work.

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Since there is no real need to involve myself I'll just be watching from the sidelines... Interesting application! Also, the United Kongo does have an interesting idea. It is, theoretically possible, that the Med-directed Exarchate provides a semipermeable barrier between inquisitive Italians and more southern locales... Depending on where the territory is.
Call me Ishmael.

Jatriqya and Hoya
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jatriqya and Hoya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 am

I'm certainly interested in the proposal of Greeks in the Americas (I'm playing the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire), and it's certainly plausible that they could have gotten to the Caribbean. Had they left Greece when it was strongest, around 300 BC, and arrived in the then uninhabited Bahamas (IRL, the Bahamas were only colonized by native americans in 400/500 CE), it could mean that they could establish a colony. I've only had time to type a small reply, but this certainly sounds interesting!

Walmington on Sea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Walmington on Sea » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 am

That's a very good point, actually. The Greeks may have beaten Native American peoples to some of the Caribbean islands. The Greeks could have settled some islands and spent years treating the Caribbean like a new Mediterranean, sailing around and making contact with native populations on the mainland, and been a couple of generations established before any mainlanders would have come of their own accord to the islands. They may never have been in all that much danger from local peoples, whose pioneers in the islands would presumably also have been few in number and up against a reasonable well established iron-age civilisation. Maybe a focus on ships built for fighting (and others for trading) around the Caribbean might help to explain the gradual loss of trans-oceanic capacity?
The world continues to offer glittering prizes to those who have stout hearts and sharp swords.
-1st Earl of Birkenhead

The Amyclae
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Amyclae » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 am

For some time now it has been clear to me, at least, that Areopagitican is a walking anachronism. In part, that is how it was designed but now its 'datedness' is starting to leak over into... Well, everything. A quick glance through my now terribly dated factbook says more than I ever could. Areopagitican as 'a concept' is alive but its 'praxis,' as it were, is deader than Lenin. New Coke. Other catchy similes. So we are left with an unfortunate blight across North Africa. A purple blight, admittedly, which doesn't seem too bad. But a blight nonetheless because the community as a whole has left the Exarchate behind. I accept my own culpability in this. In fact, most of it is mine. I have not been 'keeping up' with the times of the new community and there is not much of a reason beyond a heady, if at times unpleasant, mix of social and academic obligations. They are excuses. My shortsightedness has effectively incapacitated a rather interesting area for the last few months. It's time that ended.

Holy Moses, I am making a lot of edits to this. But if there is any epitaph for Areopagitican then it would not be a sentence as much as it would be certainty. Certainty that it is possible, for AMW at any rate, to RP a nation wildly different then your own views. More importantly it is also possible to RP as a nation with your own views with neither the latter or the former getting in the way OOC. I hope the Exarchate also proved that it is possible to RP with confidence, if not competency, a losing military struggle. It is possible to create a nation that is reasonably unique and have it become integrated into a wider world that is in equal, delicious parts similar and unlike our own. Above all, contrasting my first posts with my later ones, I think the country provides an excellent example of how AMW is an inexplicable but excusable 'waste' of time. It is, all at once, a forum to present ideas and accept alien ones. Certainly, half of Areopagitican wouldn't exist without the community.

I want to keep this pithy. I can be... Prolix, as Chrin likes to say, or even--simply--wordy. I love the sound of my own words, and for that I hope you can forgive me. Moving forward I would appreciate it if the community would remove Areopagitican as a whole. I see no reason for it to continue to exist. With Avarga gone, Bantu finally exiting stage right, Chemaki elsewhere and Egypt again vacant I sincerely doubt that this will effect 'too' much. Rome now exists but in a form that is substantially different than when I first arrived on the scene, clashing with Kemet. My main concern is Nibelunc, Ruben, who was kind enough to have a romp through North Africa with a nation that does not now exist. I'm not sure if Walmy ever managed an incorporation of Areopagitican into anything significant, but if you have then mea culpa. I'm sorry to pull the rug out from both of you but it is high time that this bro checks out another locale. Maybe, even, America. I hope that Amerique is not too disappointed with me after promising some things that I have, frankly, not delivered on. Oh well, damn Canadians.

This is not a resignation from the community at large in any sense of the word. I enjoy and appreciate you all in your own unique ways, insofar as my appreciation matters at all. If anything, I'll still pop up on Chrin's and Cass's facebook things from time to time. More importantly, however, is that I am interested in moving forward with my other punted claim of a 'new' Zion. Jewish. Mountains. Other stuff. I can't remember but I have a dim recollection that no one had substantial concerns. I also have an eye towards TCB if he'll allow it. Understandably, I'll continue to flesh out that idea so that some real conversations can be had but as it stands I think you all can understand the desire to switch claims after a substantial, prolific, multi-year commitment to my original claim. In this installation of AMW I have been making the same jokes for quite some time. It is time to develop some new material.

If there is any desire, regardless of how I feel, to continue Areopagitican then not only would I be surprised but I will also be disassociated from it. I am Pontius Pilate, washing my hands of the matter. Not with bitterness but with the expectation that come tomorrow morning I will have a firmer idea of where I want to be in this enjoyable group of gentlemen and women. If there is a need to continue with a rump state with the name, or perhaps an easier to write one, 'Areopagitican' then I am fine with it. Though I may doubt the need my attention is now focused elsewhere.
Last edited by The Amyclae on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Call me Ishmael.

Kwadai
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kwadai » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:09 am

Nation Name: The Emirate of KwaDai
Population:Same as UAE
Languages: Arabic
Ideal location: Qatar, Kuwait
Government: Absolut monarchy

History: see my Factbook.

Culture: KwaDai culture is strongly Gulf Arabic, and Sunni Islamic traditions

Economy: KwaDai's economy is boomingbthriving off Oil and tourism

Military: A powerful Military famous for its secret police.
Last edited by Kwadai on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
방탄소년단 | 엑소 | 블랙핑크
Gay male. Ireland. Language enthusiast.

Chemaki
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chemaki » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:44 am

KwaDai wrote:Nation Name: The Emirate of KwaDai

Ouch. I don't know if you fully understand the premise of AMW, in particular, the great attention to detail that all of our members pay to their applications and factbooks. Aside from telling you that I already have Qatar within my claim, I can't comment on your application at the moment since it's so vague. I suggest you look through this thread at past applications and have a look at what standard other people put into their applications before you write your own.

Thanks for your time.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcdnmiaNYr1r3jdkc.png

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

KwaDai wrote:Nation Name: The Emirate of KwaDai

I am afraid that I have to say that I cannot support this application as it stands. However, if you go to the first post in this thread, you will find not only an introduction to our community, but a helpful link to the type of application to which we generally look.

Thanks for your interest.

Walmington on Sea
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Walmington on Sea » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 am

So long as you don't leave us, Amyclae, I'm not about to oppose a change of nations. There's been a lot of change in North Africa, anyway, so it shouldn't add too much to other people's problems. It'll take a little piece of Cass's history away, but I imagine that he will cope. I look forward to your next idea... don't keep us in suspense for too long!

For a moment I wondered if I should drop my Moroccan territories now and look elsewhere, but no, Saharaland and Mauretania were Walmingtonian even before AMW, so I'll stick with it and confirm, with a twinge of regret, that the Sudanese portion of the Empire will be released back to the Dragons.

I'm wondering whether to fill in the Aero parts of Morocco if/when vacated, but I think that's really just because I'm frustrated by out-of-date census data on the population of individual provinces rather than any other reason, so perhaps I'd best hold off.
The world continues to offer glittering prizes to those who have stout hearts and sharp swords.
-1st Earl of Birkenhead

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 am

Africa just became a lonely place

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:39 am

Chrinthania wrote:Africa just became a lonely place

Nation Name: The Dictatorship of Beerandboobies.

Claim: All of Africa that is as of now unclaimed.

Population: I dunno? A metric buttload.

Government: A dictator is elected for life in a moot, where all the candidates compete in a beer pong tournament. The current dictator is Jordan Clearlynotanauthorinsert who is really cool and all the ladies love him and his schlong can reach from one end of the beerpong table to another.

History: Once upon a time, Africa was really boring and no one ever stayed there. There were some weird bearded men in the North, a crazy dictator in the South, and some Walmies on the tip (heh.)

St. Dudebroman, the founder of Beerandboobies saw this and felt sad. He began slaying all of the dragons, drinking Natty Ice as he went. When Africa was cleared, he hired door men to guard the shores. Only to coolest bros and the bustiest babes would be allowed in. Soon, Africa was a burgeoning party land full of good times.
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Chrinthania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chrinthania » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 am

Acadzia wrote:

Nation Name: The Dictatorship of Beerandboobies.

Claim: All of Africa that is as of now unclaimed.

Population: I dunno? A metric buttload.

Government: A dictator is elected for life in a moot, where all the candidates compete in a beer pong tournament. The current dictator is Jordan Clearlynotanauthorinsert who is really cool and all the ladies love him and his schlong can reach from one end of the beerpong table to another.

History: Once upon a time, Africa was really boring and no one ever stayed there. There were some weird bearded men in the North, a crazy dictator in the South, and some Walmies on the tip (heh.)

St. Dudebroman, the founder of Beerandboobies saw this and felt sad. He began slaying all of the dragons, drinking Natty Ice as he went. When Africa was cleared, he hired door men to guard the shores. Only to coolest bros and the bustiest babes would be allowed in. Soon, Africa was a burgeoning party land full of good times.

I think you just won AMW

United Kongo
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Kongo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 pm

:(

I got them French Bourgeoisie to keep me company at least...........

The Balto-Wendish Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Balto-Wendish Empire » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello. I made this nation here as I wish to participate with an account that has the sole purpose of representing my country best for this RP. A Modern World seems elaborate and serious enough to justify an additional account.

When I went through the applications it seemed like not too much was claimed, only on the second gaze i realized that there were numerous countires after the account name which are claimed by a single person. It seems that the Baltic and Wendish parts of Europe are already claimed.

May there be a possibility to include my nation as a resistance faction who wrangle for independence? I thought maybe Poland west of the Vistula, squeezed inbetween the other factions might be free- alas it wasn't! Maybe they forgot about Kalinigrad! Oy vey, it was claimed by another nation with the ugliest borders in world history! How about a historically easily differentiable piece of land? The province of Mazovia or Danzig? Courland would be fitting.

Or I go without any claim and RP as a more or less silent undergound movement as mentioned above.

Any ideas how I might join with my idea in mind?

Provisional application:
Nation Name: The Balto-Wendish Empire [The Balto-Wendish Independence Faction (BIF)]
Population: 60.000 Latvia, 18.000 Estonia, Kalinigrad and Lithuania: 50.000, Danzig and Courland: 100.000. Another 122.000 identifying as "Wendish people" in Eastern Europe. Totalling: 350.000 active sympathiszers.
Languages: German, Polish, Russian and baltic languages.
Ideal location: Areas of the Balto-Wendish culture. The movement puts efforts in declaring the Courland independent.
Government: Transitional. The movement is currently lead by old more-or-less impoverished royal families who form a council. Similar to the Roman senate two consuls share representative leadership.
Leadership: Royal Baltic Consul: Gregor II Mendelburg of Samogitia, Royal Wendish Consul: Pětranc Jagskec of Hrajnca
History: /
Culture: Baltic German and Wendish enthnic groups. Baltic paganism (Romuva) prominent religion. The ideology of the "Empire" seems to be aggressive when necessary, but more interested in diplomatic resolve. Their goal seems to be a goal-oriented commonwealth; a Balto-Wendish union that secures it place in history as a "creating" nation. The leadership plans on uilding monuments and participating in visionary projects that will mark the advance of humankind, rather than actual welfare and socialism as expected from a commonwealth. The BIF believes that a person must be first able to help himself, the "Empire" itself will help the community as a whole by providing deeds that makes the people proud and gives them inspiration, rather than material help. For further information the BIF recommends reading "The Balto-Wendish Mission" by Handrij Wowčer.
Economy: The movement is funded by charity
Military: Former secret police who sympathize with the old families and partisans, diverse militia groups.
Last edited by The Balto-Wendish Empire on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United Kongo
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Kongo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 pm

The Balto-Wendish Empire wrote:Hello. I made this nation here as i wish to participate with an account that has the sole purpose of representing my country best for this RP. A Modern World seems elaborate and serious enough to justify an additional account.

When I went through the applications it seemed like not too much was claimed, only on the second gaze i realized that there were numerous countires after the account name which are claimed by a single person. It seems that the Baltic and Wendish parts of Europe are already claimed.

May there be a possibility to include my nation as a resistance faction who wrangle for independence? I thought maybe Poland west of the Vistula, squeezed inbetween the other factions might be free- alas it wasn't! Maybe they forgot about Kalinigrad! Oy vey, it was claimed by another nation with the ugliest borders in world history! How about a historically easily differentiable piece of land? The province of Mazovia or Danzig?

Or I go without any claim and RP as a more or less silent undergound movement as mentioned above.

Any ideas how I might join with my idea in mind?

given the seafaring nature of the Wends and Balts on the Southern Baltic coast, it could be possible to perhaps have had a Baltic colonization or at at least Cultural assimilation of the remainder parts of Britain? maybe somewhat similar to Norse/Anglo-Saxon invasions of the island.

As for your resistance idea, I think that would be a lot more to the decision of the countries controlling the areas you mentioned, baring in mind each of them have their own established history different to RL so that may cause a problem.

The Balto-Wendish Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Balto-Wendish Empire » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:06 am

United Kongo wrote:
given the seafaring nature of the Wends and Balts on the Southern Baltic coast, it could be possible to perhaps have had a Baltic colonization or at at least Cultural assimilation of the remainder parts of Britain? maybe somewhat similar to Norse/Anglo-Saxon invasions of the island.

As for your resistance idea, I think that would be a lot more to the decision of the countries controlling the areas you mentioned, baring in mind each of them have their own established history different to RL so that may cause a problem.

This sounds good. That's also the moment I wish we had a map with current claims. By browsing previous threads of AMW I've seen several of those map updates. I wonder if the newest one could be placed at the OP of the application thread? It's certainly easier to ahve a visual map, as I find myself here ticking away claimed areas from a mental checklist.

I'll also expand my application as soon as I know which provinces are claimable to fit the general theme. I cannot present the Balto-Wends as a sovereignty with a strong agricultural background when I end up as an Arctic Viking, right? ;)

The Isle of Man seems to be unclaimed. I can imagine it to be fillibustered by BIF militia. I think the struggle to form a government and the diplomatic hassle to get it approved will keep me busy for dozens of lengthy posts.

Walmington on Sea
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Walmington on Sea » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 am

I've only a minute, so this will be a bit rushed, but this at least reads like an idea with potential, even if the Royal Navy will have to send a gunboat to extract an apology for that crack about the Empire's borders!

In AMW, the Anglo-Saxons went east to Prussia rather than west to Britain, hence the Danish archipelago and East Prussia being English, and the point from which the Empire would expand to the New World et cetera. I don't think there'd be much room for a significant Balto-Wendish population in Amberland ((as East Prussia is known)) after all these centuries ((even if a comprehensive study of the area's genetic map might show some descent from such)), though I can't speak to what the largely Finnic, I think, Gandvians to the north might have to say on the matter.

If Gandvik's player is not on board with the idea of another player in his nation, would you still be looking to play a resistance movement within another nation, or happy to do it all yourself in currently unclaimed land? There are several quite different pockets in Europe still available, the aforementioned northern Britain, one landlocked in Central Europe, and one in and around part of the Low Countries, so there shouldn't be too much difficulty finding a space to suit if that's the way things go, whether a central theme be of a seafaring folk, farmers, or isolation after a long and unhappy trek across the continent, or whatever else.
-1st Earl of Birkenhead

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates