NATION

PASSWORD

Twirling Blossoms (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 am

Zandion swallowed a snicker at that last statement, holding his expression together with the utmost ease, yet the most difficult trials. Oh, yes, family was so reliable in his experience. The idea of his eleven brothers being reliable was deeply amusing to the Kath. They had spent years killing each other until only Zandion was left as the heir. To be fair, though, he had been just as unreliable as the rest, hence his current position. At the present, though, he could agree that family was reliable. After all, it wouldn't be a lie if he agreed on that basis. He pushed away his impulse to laugh with residual amusement and merely gave a sagely nod.

"Well, considering the family members I have at this time, I would most certainly agree," he stipulated, choosing his wording quite delicately. "Women in Xoriet are slightly unusual in the fact that many have up to twelve children in their lifetimes. I am told that generally that is uncommon, but it is quite natural for us. Is that the case with your people as well, or are those all extended lines?"

He decided it was probably best to lightly steer away from the explicit subject that was family in the royal line of Xoriet. Fertility rates would be an acceptable and reasonable topic.

Kathira's eyes were slightly wider as she listened with every ounce of attention she possessed. She had to give credit where it was due; the Prince Talmar had a knack for storytelling that privately delighted her. While she had not known exactly what to expect, she also had to note that conversation between her father and the Shrailleeni Empress was not nearly so much fun as the one she was involved in. A small smug note pinged within her mind, that she was having more fun than her father. She continued to sit in silence, waiting patiently as the story progressed.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Chella absorbed this new information with conflicting feelings. On one hand it was mandated by the Goddess to produce children. On the other, averaging at a dozen had an ominous sound to it. Not terrible, but a woman in the midst of twelve children hardly had time to run the affairs of household, let alone those of state. It was simply another reminder that while equality was all well and good, patriarchy was still patriarchy at its core, a bone-deep system which was difficult to get out of.

"I cannot speak for other peoples," she said with a hint of surprise, "but that is unusual among Shrailleeni, yes. In the early days the royal families had as many as eight children, but this soon became impractical. Three or four is our average now, with a recent trend among the young nobility to have only two. The early years created an extensive system of nobility in the Empire, with many branches and extensions. The Goddess mandates procreation, but if we had dozens of children at a time there would hardly be enough land and titles to go around."

She took a bite of salad, chewing delicately before speaking again.

"Even among the common subjects families usually have less than six children. May I ask, does that number only apply to Xorietian nobility?"

Talmar was now in full swing, his hands becoming an extension of his words to add dramatic flair to the tale.

"The sound of the eagle's hunting cry stopped us both, and I do not hesitate to tell you that I was afraid. We were always being warned about the danger that the Trii-akh posed to the unwary, especially to bite-sized children."

The term 'bite-sized' drew some admonishing glances, but the Regent ignored these unabashedly.

"Now the Queen was shaken from her levity, and became serious. She grabbed my hand and pulled me into the undergrowth, where we huddled, listening for the cry to come again. When it did not, she told me to stay put while she tried to discover which direction the Palace lay in. I tried to protest, but she stifled me, insisting on being woman enough to take charge of the situation. So I watched in apprehension as she tentatively lifted first her head, then her shoulders, and finally her whole body out of the ferns, looking around for any sign of our location."

"As I looked on she walked cautiously out into the clearing. She stopped for a moment, looking contemplative, and then turned back to me. She told me excitedly that she knew how to get back, and started to run back to where I sat, still frightened. It was then that I saw the shadow pass over the clearing, and the heard the rush of black feathers on the wind. I saw my sister look up in horror, and then scream with a sound drowned out by the eagle's cry. It was the most terrifying thing that I had, and have, ever seen."
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 am

"Oh, heavens no," said Zandion after another bite of salad. "The nobility doesn't even set the precedent for number of possible children. Actually, the nobility often births a lesser number of children than the average, particularly those of the Southern territories. My wife only had five siblings growing up. Of course her father had attempted to make her line patriarchal with the oldest son after his wife died, but that particular family title has belonged solely to a Duchess for centuries, and her consort is not supposed to try and change the line. His efforts resulted in his own prompt removal from power. The Six Territories are led by three male and three female lines. That balance is not permitted to alter or even waver."

As if she had not been intent before, now Kathira had managed to lock away the urge to lean forward in her seat. The idea of Mother learning of her inability to control herself during a story was rather frightening, and she clung to that thought. She glanced at the Queen, but there seemed to be nothing amiss. Had the bird missed? Well, that would be the ideal situation, and what she suspected might have been the case.

Although the idea of a national animal attack would be alarming, Golden Ocelots did not grow to a large enough size to consume human prey. This was fortunate for the people of Xoriet. It was illegal to kill an ocelot, particularly not a member of the Golden Ocelot species, even to defend oneself.

She was not entirely sure that she was supposed to interrupt the story yet, so Kathira remained quiet, still listening very closely to the Regent. The princess thought of a good number of reasons why she should not speak, one of which was the idea that he had not yet finished. Kathira wondered what a Black-tipped Eagle looked like, other than the colors she imagined and what was probably a massive size. Perhaps she might even get to see one on this expedition into the realm of the Shrailleeni.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

It seemed to Chella that Xoriet had an interesting and complex sense of conservatism. It was something that she had never before encountered, and she had long consider political systems like those of New Edom or Mount Angel to be strange and complex. This was a completely new concept for her, a system utterly devoted to keeping the "balance" in all aspects. She thought briefly at the kind of bureaucratic power which must be needed to enforce and uphold such a system, and hid a shudder. This Empire must be a massive one indeed, to devote such resources.

"May I ask what you use to enforce this balance?" she asked, voicing her thoughts. "Here in Shrailleen only myself and the Royal Court have the power to remove a noblewoman from her place. If a Queen begins to treat her people unfairly, they may come to this palace at any time to voice their grievances, and the matter is investigated discretely. If the complaints prove true, then we have the power to remove the noble in question from her station. Is this much like what happened to the patriarch that you mentioned?"

Meanwhile, Talmar was on the verge of finishing his story.

"The eagle was a mighty creature, even from an already mighty race. As large as a grown woman, with talons as long and deadly as knives. I have been told in the years since that it was one of the largest eagles ever recorded, and it moved with the speed and grace fitting a warrior of the Goddess. But we hardly had the time to appreciate its beauty, as it was descending on us, hungry for an easy meal."

"The young Queen dropped to the ground, the mass of feathers and talons missing her by mere inches. I screamed at her to get back to the bushes, but she was paralyzed with fear. I watched the great bird land at the edge of the clearing, furious at missing its target, and turn back towards us. Trii-akh prefer to kill from the air, you see, but they are just as dangerous on the ground. At that moment I could stay still no longer. I ran toward my sister, shouting at the bird and waving my arms, my heart pounding in my chest. I was certain that we were about to die."

"But at that moment the Mother Goddess smiled upon us. Our absence from the palace had not gone unnoticed, and a search party had been sent out to bring us back. As the eagle flapped its way toward us, talons gleaming, a shout rose from the nearby forest, followed by the crack of a gunshot. The eagle shrieked its displeasure, startled by the sound, and paused to look in the direction of the deadly noise. I grabbed my sister's hand and we ran back toward the sound of people. Soon we were surrounded by guards who were yelling and running into the clearing. Some men stopped and took us in their arms, and carried us back to the safety of the palace."

Talmar smiled and sat back as he concluded his story, his wife looking at him adoringly and Arianna with a small embarrassed look.

"We received such a scolding from the Mother Empress when we returned, but we were both just happy to have survived. I'm not sure that the Queen has ever really forgiven me for having the idea in the first place." He and Arianna exchanged an understanding look. "And as for the eagle, the Empress decided that our encounter was a sign. Instead of killing her, she was subdued and brought to the palace." He smiled at Kathira with a twinkle in his eye. "She is still here, in fact."

As the conversations continued, the first course arrived at the diners' plates. Servants used the design of the table to begin carving pieces of the enormous kalko, and arranging them upon platters. The meat steamed as they cut into it, the huge form still retaining most of the heat from the bonfire used to cook it. These pieces of roast were placed upon beds of a lettuce-like greenery, and served alongside a variety of soft nuts native to the island. The servants went from seat to seat, placing the food down with small bows and smiles. The members of the court, including the highest nobility, always acknowledged and thanked the service. Dining was a sacred art to the Shrailleeni, one of the essences of the home, and those who served the food deserved a bit of respect.
Ask Me Anything IC
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:39 pm

"You could say that we have a similar system. The Triet has mostly unchallenged authority - 'Triet' is what they call the balance of Throne, Church, and Hierarchy. While generally I have the most influential role in Xoriet, if I proved to be a bad leader, the Hierarchy and the Church, the other two major powers in Xoriet, could possibly have me removed from office. The Hierarchy is made up of the leaders of the Six Territories and they hold most of the authority in matters of noble conduct. It takes two of the powers to agree to remove someone of importance from office. The nobles have to be rearranged every so often, so the Hierarchy's influence is limited, but the Throne and the Church remain consistent forces."

Zandion's expression through that entire miniature speech was cool and composed as he worded everything as neatly as he was able. He also was careful to thank the servants, eyeing the kalko with interest. He was not listening to the enchanting story which had so grasped the attention of his daughter and a number of people sitting around her, but he could see that it was an unusual dish. To someone outside the Shrailleeni Empire, that was. He returned his attention to the Mother Empress,

"That was wonderful. So the kalko on this plate in front of me was caught by the eagle that hunted you?" Kathira inquired of the royal siblings, connecting Queen Arianna's comment about the Trii-ahk which belonged to the Mother Empress with Regent Talmar's remark about the eagle still being in the palace. Her emerald green eyes were still bright with appreciation and admiration for the story and its narrator.

Like her father, she had thanked the servers, but that was more out of her own sense of manners than an imitation of Shrailleeni culture.

It struck her as rather ironic that an eagle that had once thought to subsume the Queen and the Regent was now providing food for them on this occasion, and on what had probably been a number of similar occasions. She also found the remark that the eagle was as big as a full-grown woman to be interesting, as she had usually heard that saying attributed to the opposite gender. Obviously the matriarchal society had many such quirks, which stirred and captivated her fascination in a way that even the Regent's masterfully narrated story had not managed to.
Last edited by Xoriet on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 pm

At the mention of the Church, Chella saw the opportunity to tastefully broach the subject of religion. She was interested, but had not planned to bring up such a potentially divisive topic unless the occasion permitted it. The Xoriet Church as a political force was just such an occasion.

"I gather that the Church is the keeper of Equality in Xoriet, while your throne is the keeper of Order. I am curious as to how your Church conducts its affairs in that regard. Our Temple Sisterhood plays a large role in Shrailleeni society, under the teachings of the Mother Goddess. Does your Church have a priestesshood or priesthood? And by what word do you call your faith?"

Chella continued to exhibit the the greatest showing of serene grace and emotional control. She was always careful to word her questions in such a way that her interest seemed honest, but not avid enough to potentially cause offense if an inquiry were denied. This was, after all, a nation that she hoped the establish political and economic relations with. Unless truly impassable differences showed themselves in Xoriet's political or religious system, this was an opportunity that Shrailleen could not pass up.

"Not Ashurra herself, but her eldest daughter, yes," Arianna replied to Kathira's inquiry. "That great bird is beginning to show her age, and she was not a young creature when she came to the palace. But her offspring now live at the Royal Eaglery, at it was indeed her progeny which provided us with this feast."

Talmar smiled at the question, and added his own wisdom to his sister's explanation. "We are taught that the Mother Goddess gave birth to all life, and that Her hand is in all of Creation. We humans are not exempt from Creation. The Trii-akh is driven to hunt, for her own life and the life of her children. Sometimes we must thwart her if we wish to live as well. Other times, we and the Trii-akh share the same goal. When we were young our goals clashed. Now, I think that we have a good partnership. This is the way of the Mother Goddess."
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Zandion had to pause for a moment there and think about this answer. How best to describe it? It took a moment of consideration to decide exactly how to answer that. While he had been doing quite a bit of explaining, the Mother Empress was answering the questions he did not have to ask. He found that to be wonderfully convenient. Most of the time he had to manually return a barrage of questions, but the Mother Empress was quite skillful. He had to admire her ability, and her serene manner. It was almost nostalgic, and certainly a welcome surprise.

"The Church indeed has a clergy, made up of priestesses and priests. Its members enforce and regulate Equality themselves. The High Priestess is the one to manage those who break the Doctrine of Equality, or, if there is a Katha, a High Priest would preside instead of a priestess. What the Church works under goes by the name 'Fate's Mandate'. It is maintained that the higher being Herself left us the Doctrines, giving us the society we currently live by."

The kalko was rather good, though the meat course felt a little strange to a young woman raised without meat-based dishes as the centerpiece of a meal. With as much dignity as she was able to summon, she took dainty bites from the food before her, ensuring that she did not finish quickly.

Kathira's eyebrows had lifted slightly at the words 'eldest daughter.' That eagle, apparently called Ashurra, had produced offspring? Those words hinted to numerous offspring, at that. She realized that she should not be surprised by this. "How many children did she have?"

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Of everything that had been discussed so far, this was the most reassuring peace of information that Chella had been given by the Kath. Any culture that worship a female deity, however foreign their conception of Her was, gained instant and powerful approval from the Mother Empress. It meant that this was a nation that could be dealt with evenly and equally, and that combined with their refutation of patriarchy in favor of equality added further approval to Chella's conception of this foreign Empire. They were large, fairly modernized, and apparently stable. These were indeed a people with whom Shrailleen could do business, and her curiosity was satisfied for the moment.

"That is an interesting belief, Kath Zandion. We too believe that the rules that govern our society were left by the Goddess in our earliest days. A coincidence of sorts."

She had quietly begun eating. Kalko was a rich and oily meat, full of flavor and quite filling. What remained of this bird after their dinner would easily feed them a dozen times over, but would not last long enough to do so. Instead, the remaining meat would be carefully packaged and sent to the Temple in Imperial City for distribution to the poor and hungry.

"I fear that I have been dominating the conversation with my questions. You must have many of your own, please feel free to ask anything that you wish."

Talmar responded to Kathira unblinkingly.

"Eighteen. Most of them returned to the mountains after they were grown, but some remained in the eaglery for ceremonial and hunting purposes. The eagle assigned to me is one of her sons. Arianna works with one of her daughters."

His wife Atchell now spoke for the first time. She was a pretty young Queen of the Fromathrine royal family, her tan skin, bushy brown hair, and dark eyes setting her apart from her ethnic Shrailleeni husband. Her English had a slightly different accent to it as well.

"Only members of the Imperial family are permitted to keep Trii-akh. It is an ancient custom of our people. They are fierce and powerful creatures, and dangerous to keep." She explained this with the slightest hint of pride, and Talmar looked at her affectionately. While his elder sisters had been merely tolerant of their marriages, he had found love with the Fromathrine crown princess that his mother had selected for him, and it showed.
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 pm

I have always wondered about how a matriarchy regards the male members of society. Some extreme cases I have heard of treat men oppressively in an aggressive manner, though by the looks of the Minister Zattem, that is not the case here. As one from a place where everything must be Equal at all times...but this is not the time.

There were many things he could have questioned her about, other topics that he was much more interested in, but he was hesitant to trample over the uncertain ground just yet. Rather than broaching any potentially sensitive subjects by his reckonings, Zandion opted for the most vanilla of his potential inquiries. "There is something that did catch my notice. When we were returning your crew to Shrailleeni lands, some of them were particularly fluent in languages that flummoxed our resident linguists. Personally I am not surprised, but the scholars were not as understanding. To be proven lacking in one's chosen profession is disappointing, I gathered from their reactions. How many different dialects - native or non - can be found in your Empire?"

Kathira considered that rather alarming number pensively. Eighteen eagles from just one mother?

And then her mind wavered slightly away from the eagles that had been her source of conversation since the beginning of the banquet. Inevitably, the tendrils of the Beralis family had disentangled and drawn her away from that subject. She had noticed early that Queen Atchell and Regent Talmar were quite obviously a very happy couple. Their evident happiness made her feel a bit wistful, actually. Depending on how the succession struggle ended, she might never have an opportunity to be happy like those two, particularly in the area of matrimony. It was likely she would turn out to be like her aunt, actually. If her part in it ended too badly, there was a chance that she would not live to see her thirtieth year.

"Are they difficult to care for?" was her query to the Queen Arianna, losing a more formal question in the face of a bleak truth that Kathira did not generally permit herself to dwell upon. "In captivity, that is. Such a large and powerful bird seems like it would require maintenance."

Another question rose to mind, and she stored it away for use after the current question was answered. It could wait.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

It was not the question that Chella had been expecting, but it was an intelligent and easy one.

"The language of the Empire is officially Railti, our native speech. It belongs to the same language group as our other two widely-spoken languages, Vangarran and Fromat, which all of us learn as part of our basic education. Our fourth officially recognized language is quite different from the others. Navaretta is an anomaly, we are unsure of its roots, but it is easy enough to learn with practice. As for dialects, there were once many, but years of integration have left us with few regional differences. I can supply you with books on the subject of our languages, if you would like. Perhaps that would help to soothe the worries of your scholars."

Queen Arianna nodded to the Princess, speaking more with her expression than her words.

"Indeed. It is no simple task, and they must be flown every day or they would become unhappy. It is another reason why their keeping is not permitted outside of the Imperial Palace. It is an honor to work with such noble birds, but a dangerous one."

"Does Xoriet have eagles, Lady Kathira?" Queen Atchell asked inquiringly. Since they were on the topic, it had occurred to her that she honestly did not know if other countries had the predatory birds. The idea that they might not was strange, and roused her curiosity.
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 am

Zandion considered the idea of four languages with mild interest. Xoriet had only two native languages, and even then one was a derivative of the other, modernized for the convenience of the citizens. It was not difficult to learn one if you knew the other. But four completely separate languages? Zandion resisted the impulse to drum his fingers on the tabletop as he thought. He succeeded, but still he could not reply right away.

‘They would doubtless be grateful to you,” he eventually said. “They were, as I said, quite put out. Personally I found it amusing, as they tend to be a somewhat pompous lot, but sulky men do not perform at their best. Now, you mentioned that your Mother Goddess left behind the rules which came to govern your society. Did she create the matriarchy which exists today, or was it present even before your enlightenment?”

He knew that the Shrailleeni considered themselves to be enlightened by the Mother Goddess, similar to what Xoriet thought after being enlightened by Fate, but he did not know if their deity had been the one to create the matriarchy.

“We have eagles,” Kathira replied to the Queen. “They are not as formidable as your national bird, and they are of a common breed, but they are eagles nonetheless. I have to admit that I thought a Golden Ocelot was dangerous, particularly Father’s or a feral one, but they are small dangers in comparison to your Trii-akhs. Actually, it makes them seem like playful kittens. Disillusionment can be tragic.”

Golden Ocelots were indeed considered to be dangerous, for they were larger and more widespread than a regular ocelot, but these Black-tipped Eagles were alarming. She had honestly believed that her father’s savage pet was vicious. And perhaps he was, but he was little compared to a hunting eagle bigger than a woman – or even a man.
Last edited by Xoriet on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Ah, now this was an interesting question. Religion was potentially divisive, but not the kind of thing that should be kept secret from two nations intending to know each other better. Chella decided to be honest in her answer, and besides, there was always the potential for new converts to learn of the Enlightened Path in the Empire of Xoriet.

"The Mother Goddess told us the Truth in the beginning yes, though She is still all around us even today. We believe that She created Woman in Her own image so that we might best follow Her example, and created men so that we could have children of our own. But the Empire as it is now was not the first matriarchy. In the ancient times our people were numerous and varied, and there were both male and female rulers. But we Shrailleeni never forgot the Enlightened Way, even when we were a mere city-state. We followed the teachings of the Goddess from the dawn of our civilization until the Dark Times, when the throne was usurped by a man hungry for power. It was my ancestor who overthrew him last descendent and founded the Enlightened Matriarchy as it is today, 1,288 years ago."

The history lesson was a tad lengthy, but it was also a small test of character. Chella wanted to know what the Kath would think about the Empire's past and founding.

"Ocelot?" the Queen now asked curiously. "What sort of animal is that?"

"A mammal, I believe," Queen Arianna answered. "Is that correct? We do not have many in the islands, they are rather strange creatures."
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 am

Zandion listened very attentively, interested in learning about the history of the Shrailleeni, including its theological stance. While many people from Xoriet tended to be intolerant of outside religion (an ancient cultural belief), Zandion was not one of them. Inflexibility was a huge flaw in a leader, and he was determined not to be what his oldest brother probably would have been. So this was how such a society was created, he decided. It was very different than Fate’s intervention in a godless society, which had brought unity and purpose to the peoples of what later became Xoriet.

“We in Xoriet have a certain saying where power-hungry humans are concerned. 'Those who hunger for power are those who have not proven their worth.' They are rarely righteous, as has been proven before. To stray from the wisdom of a higher being is one of the highest symptoms of folly. How did the man manage to take the throne that was not his by right?"

He was beginning to put the pieces of the puzzle that was the Shrailleeni Empire together, and the mention of a man who tried to take over was vividly reminiscent of the Hierarchy that had split Xoriet. Not the same situation, but the same motives, and in both cases, the direct ancestors of the Mother Empress and the Kath had been the ones to set things right.

Kathira found that she was not surprised that they had not heard of ocelots. She mentally berated herself for not explaining further before she answered the question.

“Ocelots are in the Leopardus pardalis group of feral felines. Their cousins are the leopard and the jaguar. They look almost like domestic cats due to their size, which is between twenty-seven to forty inches in length bodily, plus the twenty-six to forty-eight inches in tail length. They have cream-and-amber colored fur and have black spots and stripes all over their bodies. Ocelots are slender in form and live in forests. They generally hunt small animals for prey, very different from your eagles. Golden ocelots are a tad larger than your ordinary ocelot, and their fur is a darker, almost golden color. While they are popular as pets due to their convenient size and independent nature, there are very strict rules governing the owners. Mistreating any animal is bad, but the price for doing so to a Golden ocelot is quite punitive.”
Last edited by Xoriet on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:45 am

"That is the heart of the tragedy, it was his by right. In the old tradition, if an Empress died without a heir, her husband would assume the throne. Men had much more political power then than they do today, and far less enlightenment. After assuming power he used his position to gain supporters and eliminate dissenters, and eventually usurped total control."

For the first time during the conversation, she turned to her husband with a smile.

"Of course, much has changed since then. I personally find the absolute restriction on male rule in the Empire a likely superfluous law. But it has guaranteed our safety and stability for so long, that it would be far too difficult to change now."

"That," the Prince Regent chimed in at the same time, "and we have fixed the issue of heirs as well. Since the first Mother Empress there has never been a vacancy for the throne, and our own daughter will make a great ruler one day. And they say that behind every great woman is a great man to support her."

The Prince Regent had been listening the entire time, but was content to allow his wife to handle her duties. He was more concerned with the research opportunities that Xoriet provided, as he had taken to organizing the influx of knowledge that came from the foreign cultures that they met.

"I've seen cats before," Talmar said with a nod of understanding," strange looking creatures, but graceful. But these must be far larger than any that I've seen."

"I am sorry, I still do not have an idea of what these must look like," Atchell said humbly. "I can show you a picture my dearest," Talmar said sympathetically. "We may even find one of these Golden Ocelots on that 'internet' contraption."

Arianna, meanwhile, now spoke to Kathira. "Does your family keep a pet ocelot, as mine keeps the Trii-akhi?"
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 am

He assumed a rather curious expression while they spoke, but inwardly he was pleased that the radical statement he had just made, so unlike anything Zandion would ever have said in sincerity, had produced the desired results. The Mother Empress had answered his question regarding the male place in society without him ever once asking the question. He was pleased that the ‘saying’ had worked, seeing as he had made it up on the spot. Finally he managed to stop congratulating himself on a manuever well executed, and realized that this would be an excellent time to establish something that needed to be said. By him, regardless of whom he spoke to, as long as it was said aloud.

“I do have hopes that my own daughter will be the one to inherit my throne,” he admitted, though he did not look in Kathira’s direction.

That was a statement which he could not utter even in the most desolate, unpopulated place within the borders of Xoriet. To say so would imply that he had chosen his heir, and her life would immediately be in danger. He knew that of all of his remaining children, Kathira would eventually shape up to be the most capable of the candidates. Already she had begun preparing for her entry, and her father was well aware that the current Val was almost like a pawn in comparison. He was terribly proud of her.

Kathira, mercifully oblivious to the conversation, considered the issue. “The internet is good, but I have a number of pictures on my phone,” she said lightly. “I can show you those later, if you would like. There are a number of pictures I have in a file, including my father’s.”

She looked at Queen Arianna and answered that question as well.

“They are intermittently made into pets, though they are permitted to any members of the Triet – or what are essentially the three leading branches of the government in Xoriet. The members of the royal family, the members of the clergy, and the council of the leaders of the six territories are all permitted to keep one as a companion.”

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Chella raised an eyebrow slightly, an expression of interest in Shrailleeni as well as foreign cultures.

"Is that so? But as I recall, she is not your eldest child. Do her older siblings agree with this path to succession?"

As Talmar commented "on your phone? How remarkable! Technology is simply fascinating!" Queen Arianna nodded her understanding. "There are many similarities between our cultures, I think. Perhaps after dinner you would like to see more of the palace, and if your father permits the city as well."

As the conversations carried on and the diners finished their meals, the attendants began to clear the table of the main course, refill drinks, and bring forth fresh plates for each place. The other members of the Royal Court and the Kath's entourage were engaging in their own varied conversations, inevitably concerning politics, geography, language, or events of interest. Soon enough desert was served, a mixture of fruit, sugary dipping sauces, and pastries of various kinds. Several chocolate dishes were served as well, either in the form of mousse or pastry. In addition to this, each diner was offered strong Shrailleeni coffee and traditional cocoa drink, a strong and spicy beverage that was...an acquired taste.
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 am

"In Xoriet, the heirs decide amongst themselves who will follow after. The winner inherits the throne, and those who fail find a separate path. My eldest daughter and second son both joined the ranks of the Church as a declaration that they were not interested in becoming involved in the succession. It is an old tradition following the standing theory that the most capable heir will be victorious," he added, almost as an afterthought, a faint smile on his face. "For example, my eldest sibling was an offensive fellow who managed to break the Doctrines on multiple occasions with his offensively chauvenistic attitude. He was not an ideal candidate. The succession struggle is designed to prevent people like him from inheriting."

The words for 'finding a separate path' were the same words for 'die.' Typically, the words in one of the languages of Xoriet could translate to either. Thus it was that in English, they could also translate to be the same, though that was an unknown outside of the empire.

Kathira's eyes lit up at the offer. "That would be wonderful."

She had managed to avoid chocolate by settling for fruit, but the cocoa was interesting. There was a faint scent of spices wafting up from the beverage, but she had accepted it, which meant that she could not give offense by not at least sampling it. Besides, it did not seem to be bothering anyone else. Overlooking completely the idea that perhaps it was not bothering the Shrailleeni because they were accustomed to it, Kathira thoughtlessly tried it. She promptly discovered the error of her ways and tried her very hardest not to display her reaction to it. It was stronger than she had expected by far, though she had detected the spice early on.

Fortunately, her mother's thorough tutelage had included how to conceal a reaction to unexpected foreign dishes. Not for the first time on this foreign excursion, she was glad that she had paid attention to her mother.
Last edited by Xoriet on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Even on the surface, Chella found what she heard of the succession process in Xoriet to be strangely disconcerting. Struggle for something as important as the leadership of a nation seemed inherently dangerous, far more so than a fixed plan for inheriting the throne. And then it occurred to her that the Kath never specified what happened to those who failed the struggle.

"And what happens to those who are prevented from inheriting the throne?"
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm

"In the early centuries, before Fate's intervention, the fight was initially intended to end in death for all children save the designated heir. These days, the ones who do not ascend assume a new role in society. An active, useful role, or perhaps a passive role. Many participants become guardians to the children of the sibling who is victorious. Take my sister as an example. She was involved, but in she has taken a different path from her original intent and is now an ambassador. Some of the others have married out of the Empire, or, as I have said, enter into the Church."

Zandion was more than aware that Chella, as most foreigners, would find the idea unstable. He was used to it, but it did not change the fact that it was a subject he disliked discussing, particularly when his own children were in the running. Talking about it really was unpleasant, he decided, and he really did not wish to dwell on the subject any longer than required.

"Perhaps someday there will be a change in method, but I doubt I will be alive to see that day. Changing the old laws would take at least three Kaths' lifetimes to achieve fully."

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm

It was a strange system, alright, and Chella had the suspicion that the Kath was not revealing the full extent of the system. A pattern of succession that essentially revolved around conflict did not paint a pretty picture, regardless of how many children gave up their struggle for power. It seemed, to her, that there was only one logical outcome to such a system, and it went strongly against Shrailleeni religious beliefs. However, this was not enough to entirely soil the impression that Xoriet had given the Empire, nor was this implication anything worse than produced by other nations that the Shrailleeni enjoyed diplomatic contact with. By the end of the dinner, the Mother Empress had made up her mind.

"From what you have told me, such change might well be wise to pursue. It is said that one's own house is best placed in order, so that the house of the nation will follow. However, there is wisdom in conservatism as well. We are as set in our ways within Shrailleen as you are in Xoriet. Change, while often prudent, can prove difficult."

As she spoke, attendants began clearing the table of the final courses. This action prompted an expectant silence from the members of the Royal Court, and the Mother Empress straightened a little to move the meeting into its next phase.

"Honorable Kath, Princess Kathira, members of the Xorietian delegation, thank you for joining us for this meal. If it would be acceptable to the Kath, he and I shall move our discussion to the Imperial Conference Chamber, to discuss matters of state. I would suggest that the Queen Arianna, Queen Atchell, and Regent Talmar escort the Princess Kathira on a tour of the palace, at their discretion. I also would also ask that the Royal Court play host to our honorable Xorietian delegates, to show them the magnitude of Shrailleeni hospitality."

Arianna nodded at the mention of her name, and the other members of the Court as table bowed their heads lightly in compliance as well.
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

Zandion concealed a smile with his most amiably inscrutable expression. He could tell that the Mother Empress probably had guessed more than he had said aloud. The Kath had hardly expected someone as experienced as the Shrailleeni monarch to completely believe such a deliberately obtuse reply. He found himself amused that for once, the pre-prepared answer constructed by his Kath'a had not entirely concealed the rather barbaric succession issue. But that conversation had ended now, and good riddance.

Kathira nodded wordlessly and sketched a quick yet elegant bow to the Queens and the Regent. She had finally managed to secure that childishness which had been troubling her over the last few hours. It was relieving, to be utterly in control of herself after the issues of earlier. The Princess glanced briefly at her aunt and the others with veiled calculation. There were no problems where the rest of the party was concerned. They had quite a bit more experience in these settings.

Finally the two direct members of the ruling family shared a significant look. Silently they read and assessed the intentions of the other. When they looked away a moment later, having confirmed what they wanted to know, they both returned their attention to the Shrailleeni.

Mayrel Beralis had been watching the conversation between the Empress and her brother. She had learned how to read lips early on during the tempestuous years of childhood and adolescence. Like Zandion, she found amusement in the sharp intelligence of the Mother Empress, but she knew that there was little else to worry about when it came to conversation. There really was only one issue that was sensitive to those not from Xoriet.

Despite that, she mentally relaxed when the Mother Empress changed the conversation. It was well known that Zandion disliked talking about the events that had dictated his childhood. She hated it as well, having experienced nightmare upon nightmare at the hands of their oldest sibling.

But now there would be nothing to worry about. Kathira was in good hands, and Zandion could speak of matters which were far more appealing. Mayrel turned her attention from her brother and niece. From this point on, matters should be handled smoothly.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

The gathering dispersed in as orderly a fashion as one could expect from nobility and high-ranking members of state, especially those from empires who still valued the traditional appearances of elegance and restraint. The Mother Empress, a small smile on her lips, personally escorted the Kath to a nearby door, which was opened by two stone-faced Shrailleeni Guards. The Prince-Regent bid a goodbye to his wife and to the Kath, and then left to attend to his own affairs.

Inside was a small but comfortable room, usually reserved for personal meetings with the Mother Empress from her most favored Queens and Matriarchs, or other persons of such importance. In the room the two sovereigns were alone, all the better to discuss without worry affairs of state and diplomatic importance. Glasses of water sat upon the table, and it was clear that the Mother Empress had some method of summoning attendants should the need arise. Chella took her seat carefully, still retaining her decorum despite the lack of any audience apart from the Kath. Her manner, on the other hand, softened slightly. Speaking with an equal did not require the subtle restraints that she adopted when her Court was nearby.

"I hope that you enjoyed dinner, Kath Zandion. May I call you by your primary name? It would be fitting for two sovereigns of equal rank to dispense of titles," she took as small sip of water before continuing. "I would like to discuss that most profitable of international relationships first, if I might. Trade. How would you describe your empire's economic situation?'

As the Mother Empress and the Kath made their way to the conference room, Queen Arianna and her bother and sister-in-marriage made Kathira the object of their own attentions. Together, the group made their way back into the spacious and intricately decorated corridors, walking across spanning walkways and up spiraling stairs. The Queen soon informed the Xorietian princess of their destination: the Imperial Eaglery.

The Eagelry was located in the upper levels of the palace, but this merely placed it farther up the side of the mountain that the palace was constructed upon. The party moved through another large pair of double doors into a large outdoor area, blanketed in a thick lawn of tiny ferns and constructed in a rough circle. High walls surrounded the enclosure, but the trees of the forest could easily be seen rising up before them and stretching toward the peak of the ridge. Around the wall of the area, at regular intervals, were large barred cages containing a number of logs and raised platforms. It was within these cages that the black-tipped eagles glared at the arriving humans, their black crested heads swiveling to observe them over large, curved beaks.

Directly opposite the door lay a cage larger than the others, containing an entire mid-sized tree. The eagle in that cage was truly enormous, a powerful creature. She too turned to regard the arrivals, her golden eyes yet unblinded by age. Unlike the others, though, she gave them a greeting, spreading her twelve-foot wingspan and letting out the loud and peircing cry for which her race had earned its name. *triiiiiiiiiiiaaaak*
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am

“Feel free to use my given name,” was his reply to that, a measure of delicate humor in his tone. The Kath kept his composure and flawless posture, but his eloquently formal manner of speech altered just enough to acknowledge her own slight relaxation in manner. His expression similarly lost some of its strict reservation, if only a tad. “That title of mine ensures that most forget that I even have a name.”

The room was as elegant as everything else in the Shrailleeni Empire that had been seen thus far. He wondered wryly as he took a seat if there was a single thing in this Empire that lacked even one remarkable detail. He really did have to admire the both the Shrailleeni and their Mother Empress. It was a pity of sorts that he could not bring Ariyala, but her presence was needed in Xoriet in Zandion’s absence.

Zandion considered her question for less than a moment before replying. “I’ll assume you are speaking both internally and externally. Based on that assumption, the internal economy is well. The Six Territories all produce products and resources native to each territory that the others lack. That encourages trading amongst themselves. It also ensures that economy remains stable, and keeps just about everyone employed. Equality has a large part to play in managing the workforce. I haven't seen any notable declines in a number of years. Externally the case is similar, as there are a number of things exclusive to Xoriet that our immediate neighbors find interesting, as well as the usual natural resources that catch the attention of others. In conclusion, it emerges stable. There hasn't been any sign of decline for quite some time."

Kathira studied the eagle with emerald eyes bright with interest, her expression speculative. It was easy to see why these birds were regarded with respect. She had never seen a bird of this size before, particularly not a flying carnivore. If she had been less of her parents' daughter, she might have even been slightly intimidated. Not much, just a little, but as a princess she would not permit herself to ever feel something as unseemly as intimidation. After all, if Xoriet’s professional terrorists did not frighten her, no caged bird would ever manage that feat. Considering that thought process, the only thing she felt was marvel at so extraordinary an animal.

“Do you let them out often?” she questioned the Shrailleeni royalty idly, her gaze still on the largest eagle.

It was fortunate that these birds were native only to these islands. The idea of Arrinya Eridian, High Priestess and most feared woman in all of Xoriet, having one of these to use on those she saw fit to dispose of was...alarming.
Last edited by Xoriet on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

A fading memory

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm

"Your lands are vast, I take it?" Chella asked. Here in privacy, away from the Royal Court, she did not have to abide strictly by all of the etiquette and protocol of Shrailleeni nobility. Two sovereigns had the power to converse idly with each other, such was the privilege of rank.

"I only wish that the Empire could produce such a trade. For many years we did only trade internally, but the industrial revolution was beginning to tax our resources when I began my reign. Now, only three years later, I would say that our economy is almost totally dependent upon foreign trade."

Her posture was becoming slightly more relaxed as well, although she still sat properly.

"The only thing that we are independent for is food, and that is a small blessing. Our factories run on coal and oil from Cornellia, much of which is mined here and then exported for refining. Our recent technological advances are incredible, but at the cost of heavy foreign investment."

She smiled a little in anticipation of the irony that she was about to speak.

"Of course, we could always use more. Progress is progress. I'm certain that we can work out a mutually beneficial relationship of exchange. What is your Empire's production specialty?"

"Every day," Arianna replied. "Those cages are far to small to house eagles comfortably for long. The Mother Empress employs dozen of handlers to ensure that they are properly exercised."

"And sometimes we do it ourselves as well," Talmar added. "Hunting with trii-akh is a favorite pastime of ours. Something about is seems to bring one closer to nature."

There was a wistfullness in his voice as he looked at the magnificent bird in front of them.

"Do you think that we could take the Princess for a run now?" he suddenly asked Arianna, turning to her with bright eyes. "There is still plenty of light in the day."

"Ashurra has already been out for the day," Atchell answered before Arianna could. "And besides, we would not want to endanger the Princess on her visit."

"If not Ashurra than perhaps Sheriz," Talmar persisted, mentioning his favorite eagle. "She would be fine." He looked at Kathira and smiled apologetically. "If she would like to, of course. There is always the city, the Grand Marketplace will be at the height of the day."
Ask Me Anything IC

Xoriet
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:34 am

"You could say that it is moderately sizable," the Kath informed her evenly.

"Internal trade was a staple of our society hundreds of years before we began to trade outside of the borders. For the majority of our existence as a nation, Xoriet remembered keenly the reason behind its founding. They clung to the belief that their hard-won ideals would be tainted by those beyond the borders. Our people and their leaders, both political and theological, were very intolerant to outsiders until over a century and a half ago, when my several-times-great-grandfather finally opened communication with our close neighbors."

He paused to consider. There were a number of production specialties, but only three really merited mentioning.

“Textiles and spices are the largest inner trade within our borders. My people have a long-lived adoration of bright colors, music, and spices, so those two are titan powers. Generally the food is produced from the largest territory, and distributed evenly throughout the empire. What those aforementioned immediate neighbors find more interesting would be the products of the mines – metals both raw and worked. Three of the larger territories produce quite a bit of those resources, so we tend to have a great deal more than we use.”

Zandion answered her questions without his own because Chella answered his own in her replies without his even having to ask.

Kathira's expression seemed to hold the faintest hint of amusement for a single moment, but as she had glanced back at the eagle, the potential of that humor went unseen. Being potentially in danger was not a disconcerting prospect for her.

“Anything would be fine,” she told him noncommittally, looking back at the Shrailleeni. “I know so very little of your society that I really cannot say that there is anything that I can express as a preference.”

She did inject a tiny amount of wistfulness into her voice, however, as she had turned away from the eagle. The regent seemed as though he really wanted to see one of the eagles out, and she couldn't honestly deny that the prospect was very inviting.
Last edited by Xoriet on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A fading memory

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates