NATION

PASSWORD

Pardesian News Network (Closed; Attn Pardes)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Central Prestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Prestonia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Kissing Hands: Howe Affirmed as Premier at Helm of Fed-Union Coalition

Hudson After weeks of intense speculation following the Embrean elections, it's now official: Jordan Howe, leader of the Federal Party in the Imperial Diet, will become that body's next Premier when the Diet sits for its 2015 legislative session.

Howe, whose party routed the incumbent Labour Party during the latest elections, appeared this afternoon with the Emperor and Union Party leader Sir Arthur Cavington, who is expected to be named Deputy Premier as part of the coalition agreement. Standing outside the Palace of the Diet, Howe gave a brief press conference outlining key points of his government's platform ahead of the January 1st opening.

"Today I am pleased to announce that His Imperial and Apostolic Majesty has directed that I form a Government in accordance with the will of the Prestonian people, and that I have done so," Howe began, using the formulaic announcement of a new government. "My government will be principally composed of members of my own party as well as the Union Party, and after weeks of discussion we have agreed upon a platform which fits not only our collective political ideals but the greatest benefits to the nation as a whole. My government has many tasks ahead of it as challenges both old and new, foreign and domestic rise to our attention, but with the faith of my honourable friends and the help of God, it is my hope that we may rise to meet them."

Among the most pressing matters ahead of the new government is the ongoing crisis in Kigeme, where labour and ethnic unrest has stoked fears of civil war and prompted the Defence Ministry to consider an increase in the Empire's standing force there. Addressing the situation today, Howe vowed that "no time will be wasted" in ensuring a return to normality, while calling upon Kigeme President Johnson Kutomi to "engage proactively" with opposition leaders.

"The crisis in Kigeme is unacceptable and a dangerous precedent to set in an unstable region, and as Premier I will see to it that my government does all it can to diffuse the situation peaceably, amicably and swiftly," Howe told assembled media. "To that end, we will be pursuing a direct contact with Mr Kutomi via phone or in person in the coming days, during which I will make clear, as I have already done, that our support of his administration is conditional upon his acceptance of basic human rights for all his citizens."

Howe also addressed economic matters, unveiling the first glimpses of a program designed to lure foreign investment and increase private sector GDP over the coming year. While many specifics of the plan remained unclear pending its full announcement ahead of the Opening of the Diet on New Year's Day, Howe's prior support for a ten-year tax holiday on new foreign investment has been pegged as a likely cornerstone. Other likely measures are believed to involve some measures of privatisation of state corporations, namely the National Rail Corporation and Royal Crown Petroleum; while the government holds only a 51% stake in the former, the latter is still fully government-owned, the last remaining state enterprise of the Labour-created Royal Crown Energy cartel. While a vocal supporter of privatization measures as an MD, Howe has made no pronouncements on the matter since becoming leader of the Federal Party; with strong support for state ownership of these entities, any privatization measure is likely to encounter significant pushback.

While affirmed as Premier, Howe's term does not officially begin until the Opening of the Diet on New Year's Day, during which all members of the frontbench will be officially named and seated. While these names are typically known to the public ahead of the state function, no firm list of frontbenchers was available at press time, and Howe told PBC late this evening that a few seats still had yet to be filled.
Puzikas wrote:Machine Cult of the V8
Steel Cult of the Murdercube³
Organic Cult of the Undying Axolotl

nomine ferri, machinam, et Sanguinem
Ave.

[23:35:03] ‹feepbot› Trans|Work: I do not understand preston!

Tarsas
Minister

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarsas » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 am

Markets Dip Again As Geanna Embarks On Money Wasting Offensive in Albiya

The global markets closed several points down from the previous day today when Geanna announced that it would be launching a renewed offensive in Albiya. Geanna has been fighting in Albiya for several months now and deploying major military assets that have cost billions. Earlier this year, Geanna left the Romula Cooperation Organization and declared a trade war on its former allies. It was quickly defeated after the RCO pulled out all of its investments and trade abruptly, leaving the Geannese economy spiraling into a near depression. It was reported that Geanna lost just right at a trillion URD (850 billion harkans) off of its Gross Domestic Product. Millions were left unemployed as businesses were forced to scale back and close their doors, all thanks to the unwise economic decisions of Prime Minister Andrew Reinhardt. As the economy has begun to recover, investors from Tarsas and around the world have sough to aid in the recovery and make a profit, reestablishing severed trade ties and beginning the long road to recovery.

Investors were reeling in shock across Pardes today as Geanna announced that it would be launching a major offensive operation in Albiya. Titled Operation "Helios", Geannese media sources confirmed that 8,700 troops as well as significant naval and air assets would be deployed. Concentrated naval and air attacks would also be committed. The expense of this operation has been calculated to be several billion URD, with a concentrated fleet deployment, armor, and aircraft involved. Market predictions quickly turned sour for the coming day as word of the conflict spread. Economic annalists all over Pardes are asking the same question; Why fight an unnecessary conflict with a full military deployment after suffering a trillion dollar economic loss? Many have speculated as to the recent insanity within the Geannese government. Many have even called Geannese elections rigged, because officials get elected and make the same mistakes over and over again.

Our own annalist panel had this to say on the subject. "We have no idea why Geanna is continuing a military conflict during an economic recession. The Geannese economy was bordering on going into a complete collapse just a few weeks ago and now they are spending billions that could be put back into the economy on a pointless war? What could they be thinking? The conflict in Albiya used to be backed up by significant amounts of RCO funding that took some of the burden off of Geanna. With that funding gone, Geanna is required to pay the full cost and continues to up its deployment. This is an act of insanity." The RCO contributed significant funding to the Geannese campaign but quickly cut off the flow of funds when Geanna left the RCO. Our correspondent in Provisa, Belhavia also noted a pervading nervousness in the markets there as investors began to rid themselves of Geannese stock. "There is an air of tension here in Provisa", stated Valerias Carera from the IBC Provisa office. "People are wondering if the Geannese will continue to make bad economic decisions and hurt the global economy as well as their own even more. Investor confidence in the market is plummeting."

MORE IN TARSAS
  • Markets close at record low as word of embargo comes [ 124923 ]
  • Disputed Zone erupts into war again [ 124545 ]
  • Radical feminist group laughed off of senate floor [ 16591 ]
MORE
  • Tidal energy plant repairs completed [ 4463 ]
      Image Comments [ 5324 ]
      Image E-mail
      © Imperial Broadcast Network
Last edited by Tarsas on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 am

Al-Fursan during UNISAS Operation ''Helios''

Operation Helios in full swing
First stages of Operation Helios begin with largest ever bombing campaign

Image SHARE THIS: Image Image Image Image
Melanie Laveau (@MelveauGBC) and Harrison Konstantinous (@KonstantHarris) (GBC)
12/18/2014 | Saxonople, UNITED FEDERACY of GEANNA

Image T R E N D I N G A R T I C L E S
NEW:Bariya

The rise of the ''Autumn Republic''

BEO formed

Belfras begins to move towards Geannese Oil

UFG, Pardes (GBC) — Following the ''Green Light'' for Operation ''Helios'' - the RAF launched a ''massive and coordinated air-strike and bombardment campaign'' on the city of Al-Fursan. Allegedly the largest bombardment ever conducted. Al-Fursan sits along the Galla River, and is an important gateway to the ALF controlled northern half of Albiya. The city of roughly 1.3 million people will see numerous nights of air-raid sirens, explosions, and debris as UNISAS launches its next stage in the conflict.

An additional 8,700 Royal Expeditionary Marines [REM] will be moved from Al-Kema, 130 Km South; to launch an offensive with Ulthrannian and Valinese counterparts on the strategic city. For several weeks, the ALF has remained and put up a tough fight against UNISAS units. ''We will coordinate with every ounce of arsenal within our reach, to ensure that we break the backs of the ALF. Al-Fursan will fall indefinitely, we will take this city'' Major General Amsen stated.

Helios began at 6PM CAT this evening and has continued for several hours as the Royal Navy pounds the city with Aiden cruise-missiles, surface bombardments, artillery barrages, and a massive bombing campaign by the RAF. Video footage and photos from the ground have depicted absolute mayhem. REM has called it the ''Second Sun'' - the bombardment has produced numerous fires that can be seen for several kilometres.

With bombardment of the Royal Navy's cruisers and destroyers; the 125th Artillery Regiment was shifted northward and began to pound the city late this evening with numerous pieces of artillery, SPGs, and MLRS vehicles. Amsen stated that ''Helios'' was long in the making, put on hold following the Parliamentary elections. When asked about civilian casualties, Amsen commented that ''every effort was being coordinated to keep such losses to a minimum''.

Tarsas again decided to ramp up its rhetoric per usual - criticising the continuance of operations in the conflict. Amsen downplayed the criticism with nothing more than a shrug. Newly elected Prime Minister Sussex however addressed the criticism - laughing at the media release of ''rigged elections''. ''If there is one thing that remains consistent - it's Tarsas' inability to address and properly understand Geannese affairs''.

In all, Sussex downplayed Tarsan criticism as well, stating the release as nothing more than ''attempting to incite market panic''. RCO funding was lost as a result of the economic foray - with the exception of Ulthrannian support. Ulthrannia has been deemed a ''shining beacon'' of cooperation and friendship recently by the ''Gramwell Press''.

By GBC's Sarah O'Clowd

Image Comments
    Image E-mail
    © Copyright of Geannese Broadcasting Company Networking Group and Associates - All Rights Reserved

Last edited by Geanna on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Tarsas
Minister

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarsas » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 pm

"Geanna Gone Entirely Mad", Says Nimirae

Alrec Severeoth Nimirae, decorated Foreign Minister of Tarsas and Count of Vinovia, has renounced Geanna as being lead by people who are "entirely mad". He gave his monthly report to the Emperor early this morning and then stood before the nation for the monthly State of Foreign Affairs speech. Nimirae is from an affluent family and highly decorated for his excellent handling of no less than two major events in his term. First, the negotiation of the Los Reyes treaty creating a more cohesive RCO and second, coming up with the successful plan to navigate the trade war with Geanna after he was the sole responsible person for finally driving the subversive, parasitic nation out of the RCO. He has been personally awarded a seat on the Emperor's advisory council, an unprecedented affair as Romulus added an extra seat on the body especially for him. His deeds have also awarded him a permanent appointment in his current position.

He again paid special attention to Geanna today in his speech, expressing shock and outrage at the current situation. He expressed his dismay with the usual colorful vocabulary he is known to have. "After reading the comments that the Geannese government had in response to the markets lowering, I am convinced that country is run by either morons or mental health patients. They have just spit on the boots of thousands of investors ready and willing to get back into their economy by spending much needed recession money on a pointless war. I am shocked that the people of Geanna would vote for such politicians, who would waste money that could be used for creating jobs, saving businesses, and assisting those struggling with rising interest rates is being used on a war that Geanna should have pulled out of when the economic issues came to a head."

Nimirae went on to continue to address the Geanna issue by discussing basic economics and how the Geannese clearly cannot grasp it. "Whenever your economy hits a massive recession, or any recession really, any normal, sane person would think that they would need to use any extra money to assist those that are unemployed and to save businesses and infrastructure. The Geannese government, which has to be nearly broke by now, has done the exact opposite, spending much needed money on some sort of offensive against militia groups in Albiya. It's startling, how idiotic these people really are. The standard of living for many Geannese has dropped significantly and with that, tax revenue. If I were Geannese, I would be fleeing the country as fast as I could. I've already been reading market reports and investors across Pardes are already pulling back out of any transactions relating to Geanna. It's shocking they are blaming us for attempting to stir up market panic. They are already doing it themselves."

The minister concluded his speech by going over recent RCO events and discussing the Bariya issue. As the minister finished his speech and the Geannese offensive continues in full force, investors in cities like Provisa, Belhavia and Chaleur City, UR have already expressed their own opinions on the subject, stating to our interviewers that they can't understand why this is happening either. One man, Levi Sachs, who has been a long time stock broker in Belhavia, gave us a statement. "I've already been talking with my friends in Geanna. Geannese markets are plunging again as the government makes stupid decision after stupid decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geannese economy goes into full collapse before the year is out. This is probably the worst thing they could have possibly done, leading a major military offensive in the wake of a near economic collapse."

Global markets quickly recovered today as investment meant for Geanna was quickly channeled elsewhere in the wake of the announcement. Pantra Automotive Limited announced a 5 billion dollar deal with the Kingdom of Valinor where it would be opening up a full production factory for Pantra Light Utility Platforms and Standard Utility Truck platforms. This is expected to bring 10,000 jobs to the Valinese economy as well as significant traffic to primary shipping ports. Tarsan and Valinese markets opened several points higher today because of the news and many investors have rushed to buy stock in Pantra as it spreads globally. Its value is expected to triple in the next few years as production increases to meet the demand with governments and consumers alike.

MORE IN TARSAS
  • Markets even lower than predicted [ 124923 ]
  • "Sussex might be delusional", says expert [ 14545 ]
  • Remus Caligula to marry Titus Amela Felarae [ 6591 ]
MORE
  • Marvius Nuclear Energy Facility opens [ 49463 ]
  • Final wing of Legionary Prison opens [ 34237 ]
  • Inside Vinovia Vineyards: Tarsas largest vineyard [ 12468 ]
      Image Comments [ 5324 ]
      Image E-mail
      © Imperial Broadcast Network
Last edited by Tarsas on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Global markets take hit as Geanna ramps up Albiya offensive
As economically struggling Lusankyan power expands military operations following catastrophic economic bust, investors express concern over stability of investments
Kader Tarek (@KaderTarek) and Donald Voortman (@DDVoortman)
Dec 18, 2014 10:21 pm | Chaleur City, United Republic of Emmeria

After dissolving Parliament and disbanding its majority party, Geannese King Alestei put party leaders on trial for treason. Many were found guilty and given the death penalty following allegations they had performed a "legal coup" and reintroduced a political ideology outlawed in Geanna, in a move derided by worldwide human rights officials. Photo courtesy of The Heat

Image S T O R Y H E A D L I N E S
NEW: Geanna expands Albiya offensive

Investors concerned military operations
will worsen ongoing economic
free-fall
CHALEUR — Global markets took significant hits Wednesday night and Friday morning as Geanna announced a series of military actions in support of the UNISAS mission in Albiya, ramping up attacks on the Albiyan city of Al-Fursan.

The actions come following a landslide snap election that has given the United Conservative Party the majority role in Parliament, and its head, Riley Sussex, premiership. The new administration has gone to great lengths to undo what many in Geanna consider illegal acts of parliament instituted by ousted and executed prime minister Reinhardt.

The radical u-turn in Geannese politics is illustrated by the alleged popularity of the ouster of a prime minister whose party, just four weeks ago, had enormous support of the population and held 60% of the seats in the Geannese parliament. News outlets such as the GBC, which is often derided for its opinionated presentation of facts and its very close ties to King Alestei, have initiated a campaign criticizing Reinhardt and his NCP party for performing a coup, although critics have responded that King Alestei's own actions - dissolving the majority party and putting its leadership on trial for treason - are also representative of a coup. Geannese governmental groups claim the recent snap elections to replace the NCP show alarming 77% support for the anti-Reinhardt party, a very peculiar finding that has many observers claiming the elections may have been rigged given the unprecedentedly sharp and quick reversal in public opinion.

The instability of the Geannese governmental system has led to the nation becoming a toxic area for foreign investment. Prime Minister Reinhardt's trade war against former Geannese allies in the RCO was a severe hit to the Geannese and global economy. Worldwide stock indices fell as Geanna, an emerging economic power in southwestern Lusankya, initiated comprehensive reforms to block all trade with RCO, which includes the world's third-largest economy, Rodarion. The trade war was perceived as highly popular within Geanna as a stand against foreign imperialism until its measures were revoked by King Alestei following Reinhardt's ouster. After that incident, Geannese media began to portray the ouster in a highly positive light, deriding the ousted prime minister for conducting a coup despite the fact that he came into power in a legal, democratic way. His removal on the grounds of advocating for a political ideology outlawed in Geanna for decades had many petitioning for a change in the archaic law restraining support for national capitalism, a ban that is criticized by much of the developed world for its tight restriction on free expression and free thought.

The Geannese economy lost over a trillion dollars in economic productivity following the trade war and the ouster, a catastrophic collapse representative of a severe economic recession. The new prime minister, however, has declared his intention to expand operations in Albiya in the midst of the recession, turning away many apologetic investors that returned to Geanna hoping to capitalize on expected economic reforms that did not come. At a time when many investors were hoping for reduced military expenditure and a higher focus on the domestic economy, Sussex has approved increased military operations and, implicitly, the maintenance of a bloated defense budget that may be unsustainable given the poor state of the Geannese economy.

Prior to the trade war, policies enacted under the leadership of Prime Minister Reinhardt generally led to economic production, as the Geannese economy was in a general state of stable long-term growth and was known as an emerging economic power in the Lusankyan southwest. It is likely many of these policies will be repealed by the Sussex administration as part of their comprehensive removal of legislation supported by Reinhardt and his NCP. Sussex has, according to the GBC, gone to great lengths to remove or modify legislation from the Reinhardt era as Sussex tries to distance himself from his predecessor. It is important to note that the GBC has been criticized for terming the results of the recent elections a "bipartisan parliament" despite the fact that a single party holds 77% of the seats - a markedly higher percentage than the U.R. Federalists in the House or the U.R. Nat Dems in the Senate.

The increase in military operations and the symbolic gesture that the Geannese government will not be using the money instead to adopt policies to improve its domestic economy, instead modifying much beneficial Reinhardt-era legislation and expanding military operations at a time when most were expecting significant cuts in the defense budget, have led to a second exodus of investors in just the last few weeks. The first occurred during the trade war. The resulting rippling effect has been felt in markets around the globe.

MORE IN WORLD
  • Global economic booms only punctuated by Geannese instability [ 5243 ]
  • Large-scale winter storms across Emmerian west coast force temporary closure of several local businesses [ 9429 ]
  • Vaziri "satisfied" following landmark EG3 summit on recent trade war [ 1375 ]
MORE FROM THE EMPIRE AVENUE CONSTITUTION
  • Ankara-Eagleland conflict reaches new stage [ 1824 ]
  • Vaziri signs bill expanding military aid to Valinor following Bariyan industrial nationalization [ 2782 ]
  • Opinion: Geanna should spend money healing its economy, and reduce taxes, war [ 1003 ]
  • All-Emmerian supercar maker set to unveil Tachyon supercar intended to break production vehicle speed record [ 193 ]
    Image Comments [ 5871 ]
    Image E-mail
    © Empire Avenue Constitution 2014

Image 5871 comments
Image STAR THIS DISCUSSION
Last edited by Virana on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Gratislavia
Minister

Founded: May 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gratislavia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm

War on the Horizon?
Following widespread clamor for Gratislavian intervention in Bariya, crowds gather in Illydritch.
Miroslav Crncevic (@CrnvevicGCS)
12/18/14

Pictured Above: A member of the crowd in military attire flashes cameras the 'three-finger salute.'

Illydritch, Gratislavia — Reporters were on hand today to interview members of a rally that has formed in Illydritch, a small town some three and a half kilometers from the Bariyan border. Residents of the town told reporters that people began filtering into the sleepy northern village earlier this week following the now-infamous 'Conclusion Speech' made by Bariyan First Citizen Vyacheslav Grinko. CS reporters spent the day interviewing a variety of locals as well as the assembled crowd, one such local, Saša Markovic who owns the towns only grocery store, had this to say. "[It's] fantastic, I woke up Tuesday morning and some of the local kids were setting up tents in front of the Church. I went to talk to them about it and they said that people were organizing a rally in Illydritch on the internet, by noon there were a couple of dozen people setting up tents and a few were beginning to erect a platform."

"Late that night buses began pulling into town, a couple dozen turned into a couple hundred. At this point I'm pretty sure there is well over a thousand people in front of the church, it's crazy, I've never seen anything like it." Mr. Markovic is one of many locals who are dumbfounded by the sheer mass of people that have flooded their town in the last two days. Local shops however, are benefiting greatly from the sudden influx of people, much to the delight of business owners who verbally expressed that the rally was, "Welcome in town as long as they wished to remain." Likewise the residents have affectionately began calling the rally-members, "Our boys." A term that has deep cultural connotations within Gratislavian society and is generally reserved for reference to military service members.

Citizens' Sentinel reporters also spoke with the 'Mastermind' of the rally, Vlastimir Kovac, a second year law student at Bedero City University. Mr. Kovac sat down with reporters in preparation for a speech at noon, addressing the aims and goals of the rally. "The Rally In Illydritch movement is here for one reason and one reason only, to force the hand of our government in liberating our cultural and ethnic brethren in Bariya from an oppressive and homicidal yoke. Bariya as a state is an atrocity, a failed Commu-socialist experiment that has quickly degraded into an authoritarian hellhole headed by a government determined to keep power in the most deplorable method possible. Disregarding the massive Gratislavian population in the country, we have a duty to our cousins the Bariyans themselves who share a common linguistic and cultural base with our own people.

"The rest of Pardes, with a few notable exceptions, sees the Bariya situation as a joke. Well I'm hear to tell you it's no laughing matter here." At this point Mr. Kavoc paused, turning to point north as he continued. "Walk four kilometers that way and you have no rights, no freedoms, no livelihood. Walk four kilometers that way and you aren't a human being. People are dying there, our people, our brothers and sisters. We commend our great ancestor Tsar Srećko for allowing the Bariyans the right to self-determination so many years ago, but we've been separated from our kin for far too long. Now is the time to reunify our people, now is the time for our nation to become whole once again. Only together will the violence in Bariya stop, only by unifying with Gratislavia will the citizens of Bariya have a stable life."

Mr. Kavoc went on to address the crowd-at-large, proclaiming Illydritch, "Sacred ground in the national struggle for all Gratislavians." He went on to say that, "[The] righteous fist of Gratislavian justice must smash the Bariyan tyrants." The crowd for its part was extremely enthusiastic in their response, a number of them hoisting Mr. Kavoc upon their shoulders before marching off towards the border check-point where they met with soldiers from the post there. The commander of the border post, Lieutenant Viktor Dragovic, spoke with Mr. Kavoc for some time and the two groups departed in good spirits. As the rally-members began to return to Illydritch, the garrison stood at full attention and saluted the procession until it was out of sight. The rally members for their part held the 'Gratislavian salute' high above their heads as they marched back to their position in front of the town's church.

Reactions in Bedero have also been generally positive. His Majesty Tsar Stefanovic was unavailable for comment as he readied to depart for Tarsas but an unnamed official from the Gratislavian Duma did have this to say. "The Gratislavian government stands in full solidity with the movement in Illydritch. We recognize and respect their concerns and want them to know that every possible avenue is being explored to ensure the continuity safety of Gratislavians throughout the nation. The 1st and 3rd Army Corps are being redeployed to the border, and sanctions are to be announced by the end of the week. Death and fear shall not dictate the lives of any Gratislavian anywhere on Pardes, justice will be had for our brothers and sisters to the north."

Citizens wishing to participate in the Illydritch movement are being encouraged to post #RallyInIllydritch to help organize transportation to the town.
Last edited by Gratislavia on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Direction Nationale de Notreceau"

Temuair
Secretary

Founded: Mar 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Temuair » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Coronation confirms Emperador Vitor Antón Avila as new leader of Temuair, ends month long period of mourning for father.

Emperador Avila VII during his coronation speech

Dismar – Astrid, Thousands of subjects, citizens and foreign dignataries flocked to Dinsmar this week for the coronation of Emperador Vitor Antón Avila, confirming him as Emperador Avila VII and the new leader of the Temuair Empire.

Emperador Avila VII begins his reign during a time of warfare and crisis for Pardes. The barbaric events occurring in Bariya, a figurative stones throw across the South A'kytian Sea from Temauir, rioting and anarchy in Bogoria, as well as looming economic crisis related to these situations. The Emperador addressed some of these situations, as well as other matters, in his speech during the ceremony.

On the matter of Bariya, I am thoroughly disgusted. Vyacheslav Grinko is no man, he is a dog, and a rabid one at that. My father taught me what to do with dangerously sick animals. You put them down, so that they can not threaten others. I offer my unyielding support to the Tarsan and Valinese governments, and encourage the citizens of Gratislavia to continue to petition for action, and for the government of Gratislavia to heed their righteous call.

The Emperador went on to explain that the Armed Forces of the Temuair Empire would offer material support to forces support “restoring justice to Bariya.”, including allowing stopovers at Impieral facilities for refueling aircraft. The Emperador went on to assure both subjects and citizens that he had no intent of deploying any Imperial military personal at Bariya, nor allowing any foreign forces to base themselves in Temauir.

Emperador Avila VII is blessed to inherent a strong and vibrant economy from his father. He stated in his coronation speech that he would continue his fathers “winning” policies to ensure that safety and economic security remained in place for all Aislings.

The most controversial statements in the new Emperador's speech were perheps the most non-specific. Emperador Avila VII stated in his speech that the time of “Aisling isolation” must end.

We share ties with our neighbors here. We do not share them with the world in the way we should. Throguh cooperation and by vesting interest in the larger world, we can secure an even brighter future for all Temuair. Relationships with nations on far away continents were shunned by former leaders, I say no more.

For the first time in Temuairian history, foreign dignitaries were invited to attend the coronation ceremonials in Disnmar which, in addition to the speech, include a formal evening dinner and ball, as well as a hunting foray into the Western Woodland of Astird. Traditionally, the Emperador hunts down a wolf and slays it as a sign of his ability to be a strong leader. Foreign dignitaries in attendance included the President of Emmeria Alex Y. Vaziri, Minister of Foreign Affairs Marshal Pavel Kherkov from Estovakiva, and Baron Veselin Dragic of Gratislavia, as well as Laars Venevitinov, son of Hetman Petr Venevitinov, from neighboring Dniegua. For the dinner, Deputy Foreign Minister for Skanderan Affairs, Yitzchak Bridge from the Empire of Belhavia, joined the others.

Would you like to know more?
More from Imperio Novas world news!

• [Ongoing] Crisis in Bariya
    • Vyacheslav Grinko: An utter madman
    • [Video] Eaglelander executed in Bariya (viewer desecration advised)
    • Valinese, Tarsan forces activated in wake of Bariyan atrocity
    • [Opinion] Economic sanctions, are they response enough to Grinko's crimes?
    • Rallies in Illydritch, Gratislavia call for action against Grinko regime
  • [Photos] Sobotka: An embattled city
  • OFEM Files New Suit Against POPE For Price Collusion In PMF
  • Ankara-Eagleland conflict reaches new stage (Originally from EMPIRE AVENUE CONSTITUTION)
More from Imperio Novas regional and homeland news!

• [Opinion] Ending Aisling Isolation: What does it mean for Temuair?
  • Piet: Driver sentenced to one hundred and fifty lashes for fourth DUI conviction.
  • High Priest Brea speaks on the coronation of Avila VII
  • Centennial Network drops Xoana Noela Navia from Pecina High cast
Last edited by Transnapastain on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogoria1
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogoria1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Army deploys as Konin 'falls'

Konin City Hall burns as protesters storm across the city

December 20 2014| 13.30 PM PCT | înregistrate| By: Valdis Simakute | @VSimakuteBBC

The announcement came as Konin City Hall began to burn brightly upon the purple-ish dusk sky, the Army is to be deployed to the Southern provinces to restore government authority and control, however it comes after Sobotka, several towns around it and Konin have 'fallen' to protesters. The Interior Ministry estimates that over a million people are now out on the streets in the South, with another 2 million on strike, a 20% increase since last week. Elements of the Bogorian Defence Force are to be deploy to Konin, Librantowa, Sobotka, Nowy Targ and smaller rural towns and villages, where they will enforce a curfew and dismantle 'MasurianPlac' and arrest all leaders of armed groups. Southern leaders have denounced move and vowed to defend themselves, with reports of gun battles in towns and villages south of the Vistula Central Canal, one report indicating that 3 soldiers have been killed, Bogoria is on the path to a greater crisis.

Government spokesman, Danijel Kricek announced that the National Security Cabinet had voted in favour of deploying the Defence Force to the South on the 16th December, President Kirkilas discussed plans and the operation with senior commanders of the BDF and officially authorised their deployment this morning. They're task is to restore law and order in the South and remove MasurianPlac through disbandment and all groups armed will be disarmed and arrested, we urge the citizens in the South to return to their homes and cooperate with the government in ensuring their continued security and liberty."

General Ludvík Svoboda gave a statement this morning upon the steps of the Ministry of the Defence, where he said, "we will not conduct this operation zealously or with aggressive notions, we will do so calmly and peacefully. I have made clear to commanders in the field, that forces are only to engage those who engage them first, we will not be conducting this operation aggressively. We will respect the citizens in the South and we will ensure that they're safety is our top priority. Yet we will not relent until law and order has been established and any and all armed groups are disbanded. I urge peaceful protesters to return to their homes and remain there until this operation is complete."

The 3rd and 4th Infantry Divisions, a total of 20,000 men are to be deployed across the South which is home to 10.2 million people. Unconfirmed reports have stated that 3 soldiers have been killed in a gunbattle with unknown armed individuals in the small town of Oskrowa, which is situated 3km south of the Vistula Central Canal, which is considered the border between North and South, 9 armed individuals were also killed in the gunfight. Elements of the 4th Infantry are expected to reach Konin by this evening, however the news has prompted calls for armed resistance by several leaders of 'MasurianPlac'. Przemek Walczak, the General Secretary of the Catholic Central Party and a key figure in the MasurianPlac movement, said this on Southern Radio this morning, "they are coming for us and they are coming to destroy our movement, they have already used weapons to massacre 58 protesters in Konin, now they intend to do it with tanks and heavier weapons, they intend to kill us all because they know they cannot defeat us politically, so they will kill us. Defend yourselves comrades, defend our revolution, defend this square with your life."

Wislaw Sokol spoke at Masurian Square as Konin City Hall burned, he urged the south to fight back, "we must resist, resist until either their invaders or we are dead or dying. Any government willing to deploy soldiers to restore control is one that is content with the massacre of innocents, I urged to resist today, resist tomorrow, resist the day after, resist until every invader and squatter has been driven from our Fatherland, we will overcome their invasion and we will achieve what we dream of, a Bogoria for the those who have god given ownership and right to govern, we will take Utena and return our Fatherland to us, but first we must drive their tools of tyranny from the South, fight brothers and sisters, fight until there is no fight left to be had."

Konin City Hall is also home to the Masovian Province Administration, the building which has been the target of the mass protests in Konin for the past three weeks, finally fell after police originating from the north, were withdrawn fearing violence towards them. Most police originating in the South have defected and following the shootings of 58 protesters last week, police numbers were radically reduced. The building was first ransacked and then set ablaze.

The announcement and response has prompted fears of unprecedented violence, the Popular Defence Brigades, a known militia in the south has vowed to fight the deployment of troops with 'iron and fire', the D19 Movement has also announced through its various websites that it will fight the government's attempt to crush southern revivalism, there are also fears that leading southern groups including MasurianPlac will attempt to rally men and women to armed resistance, rather than civil disobediance. An estimeated 2,000 weapons have been stolen from police stations across the South, becoming circulated among the vast protest groups.

The decision to deploy forces has sparked opposition within the government itself, with the Liberal Party threatening to leave the coalition with the Socialist Way, should the deployment escalate the crisis. This has caused Prime Minister Milos Spidla to announce an emergency meeting between his Socialist Way party leadership and that of the Liberal Party, right wing parties, such as United Bogoria have stated that they will be interested in replacing the Liberal Party as the Socialist Party's junior partner, going so far to say that are willing to reduce left-right agitation to assist the government in defeating the unrest in the south, again prompting fears of a hardline response to the crisis in the South. We expect comments on the Coalition tomorrow.

Internationally, only the Papal Republic has made comments on the crisis, Bogoria's allies, including Emmeria have been somewhat silent. Yet Arthurista's Prime Minister Leanne Whittaker engaged in serious discussions with President Kirkilas last week, proposing a peaceful roadmap, which included the federalisation of Bogoria, offering the South greater equality to the North, however the PM and other key cabinet ministers rejected it, leading the vote of deploying the BDF to the South.

We will cover this story as it develops further.

BBC's Valdis Simakute contributed to this report.

MORE IN PARDES
  • Live Updates: Army Deployed [ 5243 ]
  • Live Updates: Southern Protests [ 9429 ]
  • Live Updates: Librantowa Situation [ 1375 ]
MORE FROM PRRB
  • 6 Latvians killed in Osprava [ 1824 ]
  • Strike causes blackouts in south-east Bogoria [ 2782 ]
  • Crisis leads to growth being reduced to 1.3% [ 1003 ]
    Image Comments Disabled [ N/A ]
    Image E-mail
    © Papal Republic of Rodarion Broadcasting

Arthurista
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:54 am

MEGAPROJECTS FOR MEGAWATTS

The challenges of keeping Arthurista powered up

For all the recent trials Arthurista has gone through, one aspect of government policy seems to be scarcely discussed in the public forum, yet vitally important in keeping the Arthuristan economy growing in a sustainable manner in the coming decades – an elephant in the room in the form of energy.

Most Arthuristans, of course, are anxious to see a decrease in the nation’s carbon emissions and a smooth transition to clean, renewable alternatives. In a sense, Arthurista has begun to develop renewable energy since the 1970s, when efforts to develop hydroelectric power in the mountainous interior started in earnest. This culminated in the Rorkeshire Dam which was completed in 1985, capable of generating 98.6 terawatt-hours per year. Complementing them are windfarms which have begun to spring up in the highlands.

The day in which Arthurista’s energy needs can be totally met by renewables, however, lay at some distance in the future. The urgent question remains – how do we keep the country powered up in the interim?

Peak oil

The roots of the current predicament lay just off the south coast of the country. When the Great Channel Field, shared roughly halfway each by Arthurista and Ulthrannia, was discovered in the 60s, it was regarded as a gift from the gods. While Arthurista never became a mighty petro-power, there was enough oil and gas production to make the nation self-sufficient in energy – a major booster that helped to redress the balance of trade following the 1980s-depression. At its peak in 1999, production on the Arthuristan side amounted to nearly 398 million barrels over the course of the year. By then, however, nearly half the known reserves were exploited, and production decreased steadily to 220 million barrels in 2007, the year Arthurista began to once again import oil in decades. Gas production is anticipated to peak soon and thereafter follow the same declining trend. Since then, increasing purchases from POPE exporters – mainly Anthor, Talibastain and the UAS, have been used to fill the gap. For the current cross-party consensus on delivering steady growth, smoothing out economic cycles and, most importantly, minimising the risk from external shocks, this state of affairs is not optimal. Furthermore, for many policy planners, the spectre of global peak oil hangs like a razor sharp Sword of Damocles. It is hard to do precise estimations, naturally – data for reserves remaining is a closely-guarded secret for most producers. Having seen one peak happen, however, it is not hard to imagine it magnified to a world-wide problem.

Enhanced extraction

“Unconventional sources” of hydrocarbons feature heavily in current Arthuristan plans. They are centred in two areas in the central highlands – the Denning Shale and the Bulwarkshire Tar Sand. Together, they represent total of some 175,000 million barrels in place per the current ‘guestimate’. It goes without saying that ‘resources’ are not ‘reserves’, and ‘reserves’ are not ‘supplies’ – geologists are still trying to assess how much of that oil is extractable using current technology, and how much of that extraction is economically viable at given price levels – both major unknowns when dealing with such unconventional sources. In any case, both fields have a variety of unique challenges which must be overcome before they can be exploited in scale.

The Denning Shale, a Late-Cretaceous sedimentary rock formation in the eponymous county, contains large deposit of oil and gas –bearing shale. Moreover, the oil that it produces is ‘light, sweet crude’, easy to pipe and refine. Production, however, is a highly difficult exercise, necessitating the use of hydraulic fracturing (better known as ‘fracking’) and horizontal drilling, processes whose environmental impact, especially the emission of toxins which pollute nearby water sources, are well known. Moreover, where in a conventional field a well may last for decades before enhanced extraction techniques are needed, a well in the shales has an average shelf life of three years before it becomes unviable. The coalition of oil and gas producers which have grown up in recent years to exploit the Denning Shale plans to develop new wells in rapid succession, sweeping across the region as older wells are run down – a rather expensive proposition unless world oil prices are high enough, and highly damaging environmentally.

However much bad press the Denning Shale has received, it does not compare to the mountain of hate mail that Bulwarkshire Petroleum must have accrued. There are plenty of drawbacks to exploiting tar sand (or ‘oil sand’, as it is marketed by BP) – as the name suggests, the extracted product is extra heavy crude, just a step above the bitumen used to pave roads, a viscous, tar-like liquid difficult to pipe and expensive to refine. Moreover, it takes a substantial amount of energy to bake it out of the sand itself. A new nuclear power plant in central Bulwarkshire is envisaged to be completed in mid-2016 and, when it is finally operational, production costs are anticipated to decrease substantially. In the meantime, however, the whole operation relies on the county’s gas-fired power plants, a costly operation. Unlike the Denning Shale, actually extracting the tar sand is absurdly simple by comparison: garden variety open air strip mining is all that it takes - after one introduce kilometres of virgin rainforests to bulldozers, of course.

Cultivating diesel

For oil and gas companies, shale and tar sand represent ‘high risk, high reward’ ventures. Exploiting the immense reserves which may be available requires significant investment and accepting high levels of sunk costs. Other companies, most notably Greenleaf Energy, have decided to take an entirely different approach.

Alleghania is the breadbasket of Arthurista. With the domestic agricultural sector running down in the mid-60s, a huge quantity of foodstuffs is imported from across the sea. Recently, this began to include large consignments of rapeseed, which is distilled and processed into biodiesel in the huge refineries being built in a number of coastal cities.

“We’re doing the high-value added processes domestically, you see?” Greenleaf’s CEO Charlene Stockport said in an interview earlier this month, “we’ll be creating a large number of jobs in these areas. Given the degree the government has helped us to become established, not least the amount amount invested by the Sovereign Wealth Fund, it was the least that we could do to repay the nation’s generosity. Biodiesel is a significant growth sector and we’re anticipating a significant expansion of our operations over the next few years. Our shares have done tremendously well ever since our IPO two years ago. Unfortunately, so has the price of rapeseed, from the speculative pressure exerted by commodity traders around the world. In the future, we hope to explore options to expand up the supply chain, perhaps by forming joint enterprises with Alleghanian growers. This should help to insulate us from external price shocks.”

Counting the costs

Billions of pounds of taxpayer money have been sunk into subsidising these projects over the years. Whether they will ultimately pay off in the long run is still too early to tell, although most analysts are optimistic. The environmental costs have been equally monumental – every dam inundates kilometres of river valley, every open air tar sand mine means thousands of acres of highland cloud forests destroyed. Most worrying for the majority of the population, however, is the extensive use of eminent domain by the government to requisition land held by Tribal Arthuristans in the interior. While many welcomed their newfound affluence and migrated to find new opportunities in the coastal cities, others were less enthusiastic about the new projects.

“This is our home, our birthright, the land on which our ancesters once walked and in which they were buried, the land given to us by the gods,” so said an anonymous spokesperson from the Tribal terrorist group, the Army of Taranis, “do not expect us to lay supine and powerless while you demolish what is ours.” In 1982, in retaliation to the use of eminent domain to relocate two Tribal towns in the wake of the Rorkeshire Dam project, the AoT assassinated Harry Wheeler, Secretary of State for Energy, with a carbomb in central Loweport, killing 16 bystanders along with him. In 2008, an attempt to attack the Bulwarkshire Tar Sand mines was foiled at the last minute by the CSS. More moderate attempts to protest the use of eminent domain in the interior has found much sympathy even among the urban coastal population – the Tribal Land Rights March of 2007 was attended by HH Princess Elbareth herself, for instance. As more of the nation’s interior is developed in a bid to stay ahead of peak hydrocarbons, these tensions are very likely to be an ever-present thorn in the government’s side.
Last edited by Arthurista on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Davisholm
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Davisholm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:18 am

DBN reports
DSWP ‘resolves’ dispute over primary contest
Kane to stand for mayor, Woods to contest Radcliffe by-election

The Chancellor has brokered an agreement with Thomas Kane and Stanley Woods over the disputed nominations contest that was held earlier this month. The open ballot resulted in a narrow victory for Kane, with both candidates accusing each other of fraud and electoral malpractice. However, both candidates have now agreed to stop criticising each other in public. Kane will be the DSWP nominee for the Landsburgh mayor election, while Woods will be their nominee in the Radcliffe by-election and will be offered a safer seat in Parliament in the next federal election.

Most notably, Woods has not been forced to accept that he was fairly defeated. Instead, the three politicians agreed to send complaints of electoral crimes to the police and discuss the matter no further. Chancellor Harriet Deacon said that “I believe in ‘innocent until proven guilty’. He should be our nominee for the mayorship, unless the police can find otherwise.” The police investigation may take months and it is unlikely to be finished by the time that the nominations close.

Woods will instead stand in the Radcliffe by-election. The government will face a difficult fight to retain a marginal seat that they won off the Liberals in 2011. The DSWP had already selected Lauren Grainger to stand in Radcliffe in the next federal election and almost all sources expected her to contest the by-election. However, Grainger and the local branch of the DSWP are willing to nominate Woods to represent Radcliffe for the remainder of the current parliament’s term. Deacon has also pledged to Woods to find him a safer seat to stand in the next federal election. Out of the 235 seats currently held by the DSWP, 77 have yet to nominate a candidate for the next federal election.

The Chancellor said that “this public feud has been a disaster for the Landsburgh DSWP, but now we have put the argument to rest. We should now unite and focus on winning the mayoral election.” Polls have shown that Kane will face an uphill battle to unseat the current Liberal mayor Richard Head, whom voters prefer over him by a 60%-40% margin. They also prefer him over Woods, who is considered to be more moderate, by a 56%-44% margin.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:43 pm

. A L K H A R A N I A N . N E W S . I N T E R N A T I O N A L .

Article #4
By:Natalia Smirnov

Au de Kalokos Buried Under Historic Amount of Snow
December 24, 2014
Snow coverage at the beginning of the storm.

Kalen, Alkharania — More than five feet of snow has fallen in the past two days upon the Kalenian capital, Au de Kalokos, shutting down one of Pardes' largest cities. The city of fourteen million has been shut down for more than forty hours. Several meteorologists have stated that the amount of snow so far received is only half of what is expected. The historic snow comes at a time where the Alkharanian winter has plummeted much of Kalenia into relative darkness, sparking mass protests about the inefficiency of the government or local peopleto plow roads and establish emergency shelters. In fact, more than 50% of all roads remain covered in snow.

Plows are in high demand, yet there is a limited supply. Companies such as Iridient Motors have begun to ship out additional plows for free to meet the demands of local citizens. Most plows are being sent by air from the few open airstrips due to horrendous road conditions.

In 2001, Au de Kalokos was swamped in over six feet of snow, causing the bustling city to grind to a stop. Power outages were widespread and local emergency care was rendered useless given the conditions of roads and the inability of aerial emergency units to stay in the sky. Because of the snow fall, more than fifty people died, including six EMTs, two police officers, and several religious leaders. This years historic snow storm has claimed the lives of eleven individuals, with no loss of life among emergency workers. A better strategy and better equipment are slated to be the reason for fewer casualties.

The storm has had severe ramification of the Kalenian economy. Au de kalokos, home to the Kalokos International Stock Exhange also the largest stock exchange in Kalenia, suffered a 200+ point drop in consecutive days to it's Power5 Average (PFA), which is the only time in it's history that is has suffered back-to-back 200+ point drops. Coupled with a largely white winter, the overall national economy has contracted 0.2%. Kalenia is expected to enter recession on January 1, 2015 when the quarterly economic stats are posted. It would be the first recession since 2001.

For now, much off the 100 million strong nation will have to wait until temperatures rise, as the prospect of more wintry weather is expected. In fact, if the events of this year's winter continue, Kalenia will have suffered it's worst winter, both demographically and economically, since 1901 when average snowfall averaged more than 2.1 feet per storm. This year, there has been an average 2.3 feet per storm.

Alkharanian News International.
MORE IN SONDRIA
  • Alkharanian Military Budget Up For Approval [ 1029355]
  • Kalenian Stocks Plummet [ 932742 ]
    Image Comments [ 930729] | Image E-mail this article
    © ANI 2014

Last edited by Tiami on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
TETly Father of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Military Worldbuilding || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Discord: nstiami || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Central Prestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Central Prestonia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Feds' Energy Policy Likely to Face Uphill Battle, Sources Say

Hudson With a week to go until the State Opening on New Year's Day, Premier Jordan Howe today unveiled an ambitious program in the field of energy policy, pledging a renewed push toward privatization of Royal Crown Petroleum and greater integration with the Belhavian-led Organisation for a Free Energy Market. Addressing PBC in an exclusive interview this afternoon on MarketWatch, Howe told interviewer Holden Stewart that joining OFEM was "common sense," and vigorously defended his planned program of privatization.

"Look, the bottom line is this," Howe said in the 40 minute interview. "The Labour Party, the board of Royal Crown Petroleum and the United Brotherhood of Petroleum Workers have convinced the Prestonian people that there is only one way to ensure cheap prices of fuel oil, home heating oil and other petrol products and that that way is to preserve the status quo. And that is quite simply wrong. Every time the idea of changing the status quo gets brought up, whether its Labour in the 70s with the idea of joining POPE, or the Bannerman era with joining OFEM, the union machine starts up its propaganda press claiming energy prices will rise, and this is quite simply incorrect."

What the Prestonian consumer does not realize," Howe continued. "Is that on every transaction of petrol product, be it petrol or fuel oil or propane or whatever, there is a 12.5% tax assessed on that transaction. And the reason that tax is in place is because our current position requires that we sell at a loss, and Royal Crown Energy's status as a government corporation requires that loss be made up from taxpayer pocketbooks. For this reason among many others, we propose to privatize the last remnant of a failed energy cartel, let the market take its course and ultimately result in cheaper gas, home heating oil and petroleum products for our countrymen," Howe said.

While Howe's remarks are likely to find broad support among his Federal Party base, they still face an uphill battle complicated by decades of complicated and often contradictory public opinion. In an earlier time, Prestonia's top-5 natural gas market was considered a likely candidate for POPE; the ratification of accession to the cartel failed by a mere 46 votes, triggering the undoing of the Labour government of the 1970s and the rise of the Bannerman government which exemplified the Neoliberal Revolution in Prestonia. Since then, OFEM has been considered a natural association for the self proclaimed "wildcard" energy market of Prestonia, though public opinion against antagonizing the regionally-powerful energy cartel has remained high. While POPE membership today seems far-fetched, many on the Labour benches have continued to advocate for it, calling membership in the cartel a natural extension of Prestonian energy policy objectives. Somewhat ironically, this measure finds one of its strongest supporters today among the ranks of those who helped orchestrate its defeat in 1971, former Energy Minister Harold Lee. Addressing PBC this afternoon, Lee said that hindsight had proven the rejection of POPE to be "the wrong move" for Prestonian policy.

"Back then, we didn't know what [POPE] was about, what it would do...there was a very real fear of losing effective autonomy, control, over our industry and having our production dictated to us from elsewhere. I think with the benefit of hindsight, we've seen that POPE isn't the evil that I myself thought it to be, back in those days, that they're a stabilizing force for the market, for prices, and that their objectives by and large align with our own. So if I had a chance to take back one position I ever took in all my time as an MD, I'd change my stance on POPE one-hundred percent, and we'd all be better off for it." Howe, however, disagrees.

"Right now, we are selling oil and natural gas out of the Rockaway field, out of the Royal Crown Energy reserves, at a value below the targets POPE sets, because its the only way we can compete on a large scale with POPE. We're fighting an unfair system, a price-rigging system that harms the entire world by arbitrarily setting price levels and then going 'you will buy at our price or not at all,' and letting the world suffer. So we have to sell at a loss, to make money, and that loss is made up by taxing it at point of sale at home. And I believe that we are all in agreement, the Labour Party and the Union Party and the Federal Party, that this is unfair and untenable long-term, so my question is, why capitulate to it? Why surrender to the wrong, to the cartel, to the price-fixing, and let these nations continue to tell our world what it will pay for oil?"

Though Howe admitted that OFEM "isn't perfect, by any stretch," he told PBC this afternoon that he felt the free market bloc was "vital to the future of the energy market," and to world security.

"Any time you have a bloc like this [POPE] that can hold the world's energy markets hostage to their whims, you make world powers and regional strongmen out of nations that would not otherwise be, including several regimes in Akkadiya that have not learned to use their power responsibly and evidently have no interest in doing so. Enabling these sorts of regimes to power is not just bad policy, it is dangerous policy. While OFEM has not met with great success in bringing about the disestablishment of these sorts of cartels, its goals of free energy are in line with my party's platform on the matter and represent the safest and most prosperous means of developing a sound energy policy. As Premier, my government will work to support its objectives wholeheartedly, as a full member or otherwise."

Full membership in OFEM, however, requires overcoming many of the same hurdles that plagued POPE membership prospects in the early 70s, namely a strong stance toward non-involvement with multinational blocs and an entrenched natural gas interest which largely backs the status quo. A bid for OFEM full membership, according to analysts, risks dividing the Federal line between members who emphasize market liberalism and those who favor noninterventionism in foreign affairs; additionally, a tenuous Union hold on the matter and almost certain Labour opposition are likely to make any accession an uphill battle. MarketWatch analyst Holden Stewart told PBC this afternoon that any open move towards OFEM was likely to be a defining moment in the early Premiership of Jordan Howe.

"Simply put, to move openly toward membership in OFEM is to make a very large bet that the Federal Party will stay in line on this matter and the Union Party will vote alongside it. It is a very big risk to take in the early going, in Howe's position I probably would not, but we'll see."
Last edited by Central Prestonia on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ave.

Tippercommon
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tippercommon » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:47 am

Four bombs rock Sussex, Corps of Constables issues threat

Sussex Metro police officers attend to the scene of the Grand Avenue blast on 24 December.
Courtesy of the Maxwell Willis
By Tatum Huxley
Sussex, TIPPERCOMMON - Four blasts rocked the Sussex Metropolitan Area today resulting in the deaths of 45 civilians and 2 UTR Marines, as well as 563 injuries ranging from serious to life threatening. The bombings occurred simultaneously, detonating at 2:15 PM on 24 December in a shop adjacent to Grand Avenue, the main lobby of Sussex International Airport, temporary spectator seating in the Bay of Sussex, and the Grand Avenue Tube Station. The attacks were coordinated during the Liberty Parade on Grand Avenue and the Grand Sussex Bay Air Show, taking advantage of the increased activity. Shortly after the bombings, all public transportation ceased, all flights in and out of Sussex International were grounded, and the Sussex Bay Air Show was cut short. Chief Minister Gerald Keegan and Eaglelander head of state President Theodoropoulos were evacuated from the area according to reports from Sussex Bay. The Office of Homeland Defense has confirmed that four F6 Neptune interceptors were scrambled from TNV Retribution to secure the air space around Sussex and the 15th Marine Combat Brigade - one of the units which had participated in the parade - had created a perimeter around Inner Sussex. The Estovakivan, Anikatian, Rodarian, Belfrasian, Eaglelander, and Tippercommoner demonstration teams who were participating in the air show were immediately grounded at Sussex Air Fleet Base.

What Sussex Metro PD is saying to be four improvised explosive devices, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation has released a preliminary report which suggest the bombs were in fact 120mm mortar shells hidden in luggage. Alexander Webber, Admiral of the Corps of Constables, claimed responsibility, streaming his message online via the rightist political group the "New Social Order." The disavowed private military company has been the subject of great scrutiny over the past year, responsible for the UR$750.8 million heist at the Grand Reserves, the execution of over one hundred workers in the Sweetwater oil field during the Civil War, and most recently, the extremist takeover in Terinyi. Webber warned that if the UTR government continued to act "aggressively" towards the organization, that attacks similar to this would continue. As part of the 2014 Omnibus which passed Parliament last month, the Senate approved for military operations to proceed in Terinyi. Subsequently, CM Keegan authorized the deployment of 10,000 Marines and a fleet to the area in order to "recapture TIppercommon assets lost in the region" and "aid the state in exile that is the Republic of Terinyi."

The Grand Judiciary has not named any suspects yet in their investigation, although the State Department has announced that it will raise its bounty on Alexander Webber from $500,000 to $2,000,000 as a result of the incident.
Last edited by Tippercommon on Wed Oct 09, 1996 10:46 pm, edited 3.1416 times in total.
Looking for a Modern Tech Roleplay Region? Check out Anterra!

Central Prestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Central Prestonia » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:52 am

Pomp, Circumstance and Peace Mark Annual Christmas Ball

Hudson The Emperor hosted what is arguably the nation's biggest and most prestigious social event this evening, as nearly a thousand people attended the annual Imperial Christmas Ball at Grantham Palace.

In his annual televised address prior to the Ball, Emperor Albert Francis spoke to the Prestonian people of a year "filled with trial, tribulation and celebration," invoking a religious message as he urged Prestonians to make the 21st century "the century of peace" throughout the world.

"This has, for me personally, been a year of great loss and great sadness, one I will always look upon with a certain degree of sadness," the Emperor stated, referencing the loss of his father in July. "And yet, amidst the trials and tribulations of the preceding year, we have seen great triumph, as our nation has emerged as a global force for peace and goodwill among men of all races, countries and creeds, while continuing on a path of continued improvement in our own quality of life." Invoking religious imagery, the Emperor called for the nation to continue this path, and urged the world to "embrace the true message of Christ's peace and brotherhood."

"As a Christian, I feel compelled to commemorate this day by reflecting upon the purpose for Christ's miraculous birth and coming," the Emperor said. "Our Lord came into this world not to condemn the world but to unite the world in a brotherhood of man; He taught that first and foremost we should love thy neighbor, care for those less fortunate, create a world which is kind to all its inhabitants. In these dark times of haughty nationalism and self-confident ideology, I urge all good men throughout the world to join me in striving to realize Christ's message of brotherhood, and create a century which belongs not to one nation nor one ideology but to us all, joined in the common goal of peace, brotherhood and unity."

With the annual speech concluded, the Emperor presided over the Grantham Palace's annual Christmas Ball, an event which has typically featured the great and good of the Empire but this year also included one hundred ordinary citizens and their significant others, chosen during a balloting process which extended the entirety of the year.

"This year, we have recognized those who throughout the year have impacted our country in ways that do not always make headlines," the Emperor said, paying tribute to those invited. "These ordinary men and women, through service in their communities, have been chosen and recognized by their fellow citizens as exemplars of civic virtue and unselfish service, are truly the highest recipients of honor this evening. They are doctors and teachers, librarians and police officers, the men and women whose daily thankless service allows us to inhabit what I truly believe to be one of the greatest societies on this earth." PBC spoke with one such recipient, librarian Ellen Moore of Fort Myers, who told correspondents she was "deeply honoured" to be part of the celebration.

"Never in a thousand years did I ever expect to be here," Moore told PBC. "It is truly an honor to be selected, and I want to thank my community for voting me to this and His Majesty for so graciously accommodating me. It is an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life."

Also in attendance were the Members of the Diet, the Ministers-President of the constituent Kingdoms, and several foreign dignitaries. These notably included Belhavian Emperor Aaron III, Gratislavian Tsar Javor VII, Valinese Prime Minister Theodotus Ireneaus, Emmerian President Alex Vaziri, and Anikatian President Sui Anyi. Delegations from the Rodarian, Tnemrotian, Estovnian and Belfrasian Embassies were also in attendance. In consideration of the multicultural atmosphere, the eight-course feast was prepared under the direction of Hudson Rabbi Emmanuel Friedman and Ayatollah Ali Abdullah al-Imeri, to ensure that courses were prepared in accordance with kosher and halal standards.

As word arrived late this evening of a terrorist incident in Tippercommon, the Emperor led a moment of silence for the 47 dead, while lamenting the "unspeakable tragedy" of the Sussex bombing.

"Our thoughts and prayers go to the families and loved ones of those impacted by this senseless act of terrorism," the Emperor said at the conclusion of the moment of silence. "We wish those who have been injured a full recovery, and bid godspeed to those who have lost their lives at the hands of those who seek to sow chaos and discord in our world. May God receive them into His kingdom."

While the Ball is a distinctly social event, observers have always taken note of the Emperor's movements throughout the event; this evening, he was noted spending significant conversation with the heads of state of CMSA nations, sparking a fresh round of speculation as to Prestonia's status with that bloc. PBC political analyst Ian Douglas said today that these actions may prove significant, though he cautioned against reading too much into the Emperor's social movements.

"Obviously, a conversation with CMSA leaders does not mean CMSA membership is imminent, it still would have to go through the Diet and be ratified," Douglas said. "But by the same token, it does bear watching. As the adage about businessmen making their most important deals on the links goes, sometimes the most important measures of government are set in motion in these kinds of social occasions." The Emperor was also seen to speak at length to the other foreign delegations in attendance, as well as Premier Jordan Howe, before settling in with his family in attendance. The Ball marked a rare state appearance by the Emperor's son, 12 year old Prince David Joseph, though the Prince Imperial was not interviewed as per the Emperor's wishes.
Last edited by Central Prestonia on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ave.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:10 am

[OOC: Important - A note about the timeline: This hurricane hit the coast a day before this article gets posted. A day before impact (two days before article is posted), Avalon and Corsica, both U.R. states (see map here), declare mandatory evacuations in preparation for the hurricane. Dates within the article reflect this timeline.

A note on aid: All foreign aid requests will first go to the Dept of Domestic Security. It'll decide what aid is rejected or accepted.

Timeline
  • Dec 23 - polar depression detected
  • Dec 24/25 - projected to hit Urbana; mandatory evacs of coastal areas starts
  • Dec 26 - Hits west coast
  • Dec 27 - this article]

BREAKING: CATEGORY 3 ARCTIC HURRICANE SLAMS WEST COAST
2,000 feared dead as powerful Hurricane Nicholas hits Emmerian Northwest; Avalon, Corsica declare state of emergency following mandatory evacuations
Kader Tarek (@KaderTarek) and Donald Voortman (@DDVoortman)
Dec 27, 2014 10:21 pm | Urbana, CO, United Republic of Emmeria

A shocking photograph of Urbana, Corsica, a major economic powerhouse on the northwestern coast, covered in snow and ice from Hurricane Nicholas, taken from a rescue helicopter a day after the hurricane hit the coast. Hurricane Nicholas, a category 3 arctic hurricane at the time of landfall, involved sleet, hail, and freezing rain with winds traveling at an alarming 200 km/h (70 mi/h). Click photo to enlarge. NBN photo

Image S T O R Y H E A D L I N E S
NEW: Avalon, Corsica declare state of
emergency

Hurricane Nicholas aftermath: A day after
catastrophic arctic hurricane
CORSICA, CO, United Republic — Casualty estimates have risen to around 3,000 dead and missing a day after the impact of Hurricane Nicholas, an arctic hurricane considered a Category 3 hurricane at landfall, on the Emmerian northwest coast, according to the Emmerian Red Cross and Red Crescent (ERC) as search and rescue efforts are already underway. The hurricane hit the coast yesterday, December 26, following an expansive mandatory evacuation effort throughout Avalon and Corsica, the northwestern-most U.R. states and the hardest hit areas of the hurricane.

FULL COVERAGE: Hurricane Nicholas aftermath

Several days ago, the formation of a polar depression was detected by the Arctic Hurricane Center, an element of the United Republic National Meteorological Center (NMC), forming northwest of Emmeria. The polar depression became a Category 5 arctic hurricane as the convergence of northeasterly currents along the west coast and southerly arctic currents carried it towards the mainland United Republic. As it impacted the sparsely populated Avalon state and U.R. territories in the Aurelian Sea, the storm lost strength, but remained a Category 3 hurricane once it hit the heavily populated northwestern coastline, with wind speeds in excess of 200 km/h (70 mi/h) and extensive winter storms involving sleet, hail, and freezing rain.

Polar hurricanes like Nicholas are considered to be more dangerous than tropical hurricanes, because of the larger variance in air and water temperatures and the involvement of winter storm like conditions, such as sleet and blizzards.

A projected path of the storm, produced by the National Meteorological Center on December 24. Projections by the NMC caused the states of Avalon and Corsica to declare mandatory evacuation efforts, which became among the largest evacuation efforts in Emmerian history. Click to enlarge.

Hurricane Nicholas impacting the west coast, an image captured by NMC doppler radar on December 26. At the time this image was recorded, the eye of the storm was in the Aurelian Sea northwest of the Friamas Islands territory.

[OOC: Above are maps. You can find maps above. Look above to find maps. Do not miss the maps. ] At the time of impact, the hurricane was the most powerful arctic depression ever to hit a heavily populated area in the United Republic. Coastal areas in the states of Corsica, Acadia, and Avalon were virtually destroyed as heavy winds and sleet impacted the area, resulting in severe blizzards and dangerous conditions. The most expensive damage is thought to be in the city of Urbana, CO, a major hub for maritime commerce and the cultural center of the state, which faced several feet of snow and critically severe conditions.

WATCH: Shocking footage captured by rescue chopper shows a city buried in ice

On December 24, projections made by the National Meteorological Center of the storm prompted mandatory evacuations from areas near the coasts, including much of the Corsica coastline and a majority of the state of Avalon. Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated in one of the most expansive emergency evacuation efforts in Emmerian history, as the federal expressways in those states became littered with cars and authorities implemented contraflow lane reversal to enable the effort. Thousands are expected to have remained in their homes along the coastline, and many who were unable to leave the city sought refuge in Urbana's Vanderbilt Superdome stadium, an enclosed Emmerian professional football stadium designed for evacuations and other emergencies pertaining to arctic hurricanes.

Search and rescue efforts are already under way as the governors of Avalon and Corsica have declared a state of emergency in their respective jurisdictions, involving the mobilization of thousands of members of the state national guards and state militia. Emergency services, augmented by the arrival of national guard units from all of the 41 states, have initiated efforts to rescue countless civilians, but UR authorities estimate thousands may still be trapped, dead, or missing. Authorities say the disaster likely resulted in billions of dollars of damage and may be the costliest natural disaster in Emmerian history. Reports indicate that due to the difficulties associated with communications in the difficult conditions, rescue efforts are actively being aided by local HAM Radio operators.

Opinion: Trying to assess the economic damage of Hurricane Nicholas

The Department of Domestic Security, which handles disaster management through its Emergency Response Service (ERS), released a statement indicating that it would not actively seek foreign aid in response to the crisis. The statement said that "Emergency response units present in the country are equipped and trained to effectively handle the disaster," but it did not indicate whether foreign donations in the form of supplies and support forces would be accepted. However, analysts suggest the economic damage and the severity of the disaster may force the United Republic to accept foreign aid in significant amounts, something rarely, if ever, conducted by the federal government.

Corsica mayor: Evacuation of thousands a "Christmas miracle"

MORE IN UR
  • Christmas ruined for millions by Hurricane Nicholas [ 5243 ]
  • Opinion: U.R. New Years' Resolution should be to prevent another Nicholas [ 9429 ]
  • Federal DomSec ERS, state national guard, or local emergency services: Who dropped the ball in Nicholas aftermath? [ 1375 ]
MORE FROM NBN NEWS
  • Opinion: UR needs foreign support to weather Nicholas's storm [ 1824 ]
  • Vaziri to sign bill appropriating increase in federal funds to aid families affected by Hurricane Nick [ 2782 ]
  • Urbana, CO veteran stationed in Rashidi rallies troops' support following melancholy Christmas [ 1003 ]
  • International Red Cross and Red Crescent ready funds, supplies for Corsica and Avalon [ 193 ]
    Image Comments [ 5871 ]
    Image E-mail
    © NBN 2014

Image 5871 comments
Image STAR THIS DISCUSSION
Last edited by Virana on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Temuair
Secretary

Founded: Mar 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Temuair » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Natural disaster in Emmeria marks first steps towards ending Aisling isolation

Antarctic hurricane Nicholas dumps snow and ice on the Emmerian city of Urbana (image courtesy of NBN news)

Dinsar - Astrid:

Two days after antarctic Hurricane Nicholas made landfall on the northern Emmerian coast, devastating the city of Urbana and other communities, High Priest Brea of the Deochian church commented on the tradgey:

“We pray for the souls of those who perished in the winter storm effecting the northern areas of Emmeria. Death is an integral and inseparable part of the life cycle of the world, and we must accept it. Sgrios, like all the other gods, has his place in the world, though no other gods works are so prevalent, or obvious, in our everyday life's, nor as unwelcome at times. Regardless of the faith of those who have died, we pray they find peace in what lies beyond our mortal world.”.

High Priest Brea went on to remind the faithful to donate goods such as canned food and clothing to their local charities for shipment to the United Republic. With death tolls having climbed to an estimated 3,000 missing or dead, the government of Temuair has stepped up to provide aid to the refugees from Hurricane Nicholas, and the Emmerian government. Emperador Avila VII addressed the Chamber of Burgesses Sunday afternoon.

“Emmeria is a strong nation, a powerful nation, comprised of resourceful and industrious people, full of ingenuity and pride. We of the Temuiar Empire posses all of these qualities, and recognize them in others. Even still, sometimes, when a great tragedy occurs, one must lend a helping hand, even to a strong nation. We do not stand alone in this world, and it is best we remember that.” He went on to commend the Emmerian administration on its quick work in evacuating the populated areas within the storms path, thereby minimizing the loss of life. “Such presence of mind is the mark of a great leader. A nation is nothing but collection of people, and is nothing without its people, a great leader has his people's well being in mind at all times.”

Emperador Avila VII has promised that shipments of food, consisting mostly of nonperishable rations similar to those utilized by the Imperial Armed Forces, as well as clothing, blankets, temporary shelters, and other survival supplies will depart from Ardentinny Imperial Air Force base before nightfall on the 28th of December. Medical supplies such as blood, plasma, and other life saving equipment will be dispatched within the follow days. He further encouraged others to donate to canned food and clothing drives being set up to help provide supplies to those in need. In addition, Emperador Avila VII has offered aid in the form of 21 billion Leones, which amounts to 2.6 billion URD, to the Emmerian government for the purposes of reconstruction of the affected areas. An offer to send trained medical personal and search and rescue workers was considered, but dismissed as unnecessary. “All reliable reports indicate that the Emmerian government has the situation well in hand.”

While Temuair has long been a member of the Pardesi Monetary Fund, this marks the first time in history that the Empire has offered aid in any form directly to foreign nation located anywhere other than Skandera.

President Vazrir visited Temuair earlier this month for the Emperador's coronation ceremony, and also expressed his condolences in November when the Emperador's father, Lino Alberte Avila, passed away at age 87. “To receive such kind words from a man, and then turn ones back during his own time of need would be unthinkable.” the Emperador remarked when questioned regarding his decision to offer aid to the United Republic.

More from Imperio Novas world news!

• Ongoing coverage of Hurricane Nicholas
    • [MoneyWire] Forthcoming economic woes for Emmeira “incalculable”
    • Thousands of Aisling students prepare Christmas presents for those affected by Hurricane Nicholas
    • Could Temuair face a disaster like Hurricane Nicolas? Are we prepared?
    • Homefront Party criticizes aid offer. Says “Leones are for Aislings only”
  • Bombing in Sussex kills 47, injures 563.
  • Snow woes continue in Alkharania; record breaking snowfall buries Kalen
More from Imperio Novas regional and homeland news!

• Aircraft deal with Tippercommon reduced amid discussion of Air Force downsizing discussions.
  • National Intelligence Enforcement Database undergoes largest expansion, set to include international users.
  • Undine winemaker Da Ponte wins top wine at 2014 "Winevention"
  • [Opinion] State-owned utility services, the good, the bad, the ugly.
Last edited by Temuair on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rodarion
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodarion » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:28 am

Pope calls for mass charitable mobilisation in aftermath of Hurricane Nicholas

Pope Constantine has called upon all Catholics across the Globe to mobilise their charitable spirits and aid Emmeria

December 28th, 2014| 11.00 AM PCT | înregistrate| By: György Miklós

His Holiness Pope Constantine has called for the mobilisation of charitiable spirits, in the aftermath of Hurricane Nicholas which has decimated north-west Emmeria, crippling the major city of Urbana and leaving 3,000 dead or missing, in what could be the worst natural disaster in Emmerian history. Speaking at the Vatican to Cardinals, Rodarian politicians, business leaders and reporters, he said, "inaction, refusing to offer assistance would produce a tragedy on equal scale to the hurricane itself, we must offer any and all aid we can to those who are in mourning, suffering and shock at the madness this hurricane has produced, I call upon all 2.4 billion Catholics of the world to offer what they can to international organisations, be it clothing, food or money for reconstruction and rehousing, we must do what we can to aid those in strife."

Several days ago, the formation of a polar depression was detected by the Arctic Hurricane Center, an element of the United Republic National Meteorological Center (NMC), forming northwest of Emmeria. The polar depression became a Category 5 arctic hurricane as the convergence of northeasterly currents along the west coast and southerly arctic currents carried it towards the mainland United Republic. As it impacted the sparsely populated Avalon state and U.R. territories in the Aurelian Sea, the storm lost strength, but remained a Category 3 hurricane once it hit the heavily populated northwestern coastline, with wind speeds in excess of 200 km/h (70 mi/h) and extensive winter storms involving sleet, hail, and freezing rain.

Polar hurricanes like Nicholas are considered to be more dangerous than tropical hurricanes, because of the larger variance in air and water temperatures and the involvement of winter storm like conditions, such as sleet and blizzards.

On December 24, projections made by the National Meteorological Center of the storm prompted mandatory evacuations from areas near the coasts, including much of the Corsica coastline and a majority of the state of Avalon. Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated in one of the most expansive emergency evacuation efforts in Emmerian history, as the federal expressways in those states became littered with cars and authorities implemented contraflow lane reversal to enable the effort. Thousands are expected to have remained in their homes along the coastline, and many who were unable to leave the city sought refuge in Urbana's Vanderbilt Superdome stadium, an enclosed Emmerian professional football stadium designed for evacuations and other emergencies pertaining to arctic hurricanes.

Speaking further, Pope Constantine said, "God helps those who help themselves, I believe we can say that the Emmerians are indeed helping themselves, struggling it would seem to make sense of this madness, God has sent them a second test, after the Volcano several months ago, this test extends all of mankind, to gauge man's sense of humanity and compassion for one another, to see if we are not bound to the urges of war and violence, but to see if through all of that bloodthirst there is a sense of charity, we are a unique nation, that we are all bound to the teachings of Christ and the immaculate heart of our Holy Mother Mary. We must do what we can."

The Pope's speech has already resulted in action, the Rodarian Red Cross (RCC) has announced it will be sending 2,000 volunteers to Urbana and Corsica State to aid in the clear up and search and rescue, the government has announced it will donate UR$500 million to the RCC and Emmerian Red Cross, the Vatican has announced it will donate UR$35.3 million. The Immaculate Mother Association, the largest private charity organisation in Rodarion has called upon its 88.3 million members to donate anything between Rl4.50 to Rl500 to aid in the recovery, should all members agree and donate, the IMA could raise over UR$1.2 billion. The Charitable Organisation of Saint Paul has also called upon its members to donate money, the COSP is renowned worldwide for its extensive charity work in Ashizwe, especially its food development - evangelisation programme.

Consul Octavian Ceausescu also spoke before entering the Vatican, stating that "President Vaziri has the full sympathies and support of the Papal Republic, the Rodarian state will act upon the call for help and will gather up all forms of assistance we can. I can assure President Vaziri and the Emmerian people, that the Rodarian Papal Republic will be there to help lift them up from the debris and snow, dust them off and make sure they
can move on, confident that they did what they could and have the capacity to avoid such a tragedy again."

However several key figures have opposed offering aid, Father Malaxa, speaking through the video sharing site, ViewXchange said that "Emmeria had been struck by the vengeful hand of God, no other nation has suffered such strikes this year, a volcano spewing fire and brimestone and now this storm of apocolyptic poportions, no other nation has been further cast away from God's light and mercy. A nation of such liberal inclinations is finally being brought down, let Urbana be our modern Sodom or Gomorrah."

Political think, Viktor András said in his blog, "God is paving the way for Rodarion's rise, by strike a deafening blow to Emmeria, with such a vengeful and righteous hand, he has inflict such economic damage that Rodarion's rise to become the world's largest economy will become hastened, never before can we stand tall and say, God is with us, God's plan for this Papal Republic is coming to fruition, we must offer him complete thanks and adoration through continued use of the holy mass."

The Vatican has ordered all Dioceses across the globe to take part in a vigil this evening for the survivors of Hurricane Nicholas, with a Vatican statement saying, "we must lament that Emmeria was denied celebration of the birth of Christ our Lord and Saviour, for that we must pray for them, pray for their salvation and pray for the Lord to show them mercy, we must pray not just for our fellow Christian siblings in Emmeria but also our Muslim cousins, we must pray for Emmeria as one."

The his Holiness will lead a vigil at Saint Peter's Basillica for the survivors tonight, all sitting Senators, Cardinals will be present, as well as all laymen of the Vatican and Curia. Dioceses across the Papal Republic will obviously conduct their own vigils, it is also expected those across the globe will also follow suit, the Vatican has confirmed that collections from tonight's vigils will also go to the Emmerian Reconstruction Fund.

PRRB's György Miklós contributed to this report.

MORE IN PARDES
  • BREAKING: Bogoria erupts into Civil War [ 5243 ]
  • BrainStorm: Hurricane Nicholas, end of Emmeria? [ 9429 ]
  • Live Updates: 50 killed in Bogoria Fighting [ 1375 ]
MORE FROM PRRB
  • Analysis: Hurricane Nicholas' true damage [ 1824 ]
  • Analysis: Hurricane Nicholas will show Emmeria's allies true colours [ 2782 ]
  • Analysis: How the Vatican gains aid will determine its influence for decades to come [ 1003 ]
    Image E-mail
Last edited by Rodarion on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

The Eagleland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eagleland » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:53 am

OOC NOTICE: The New Pontus conflict was terminated in late November 2014. This newpost is related to the termination of the repatriation process.

BREAKING: LAST REFUGEES FROM NEW PONTUS RETURN TO THE EAGLELAND; RIOTS NATIONWIDE ESCALATE
The Eagleland Government completes repatriation process, military forces permanently withdraw from New Pontus; Eagleland falls in a climate of political instability.
30 December 2014 | By Ioannis Vasilikos (@john_vas) (ENT)

Riots in Athens City Centre were by far the most destructive, as a clash between right-wing and anarchist protest groups led to 2 deaths, 11 injuries and $1.2 million in damages.

Megara, West Attica — In the harbour of Megara, in West Attica prefecture, the remaining 25,876 residents of New Pontus, have been repatriated to the Eagleland, completing the repatriation process that took place in exchange for the cessation of the New Pontus territory to the Ankaran Union, a highly criticised move which angered millions of citizens in the Eagleland proper. Riots have materialised in many of the Eagleland's provinces, and in an act of political defiance 176 municipal councils raised the Eaglelander flag upside down above their equivalent city halls as a form of recognising public dissent. 27 law enforcement and military personnel were also arrested and fined for political activity.

The arrival of the remaining 25,876 residents of New Pontus brings the number of confirmed survivors to 4,658,907 persons, out of the 6,118,567 persons who originally made up the population of New Pontus. The remaining died directly as a result of war, asphyxiation, or lack of water for some, since the war went on for four days, and five hours before the controversial cessation agreement was signed by the Ankaran Union's leadership and the Eagleland Government, which ceded control of the New Pontus territory to the Ankaran Union in exchange for the safe repatriation of the remaining 4.6 million persons. The repatraition process took two months to complete and the vast majority of deceased corpses were recovered. The Eagleland Armed Forces are completing the evacuation process, and the last troops will have left by the end of this year.

This move created fierce criticism and bred division within the country's political system. Though the refugees will be accomodated at temporary emergency camps administered by the National Emergency Restoration Centre (EKEAP), where they will reside until they were able to find work, and while it is almost universally accepted that refugees would have little choice but to surrender, the move is certainly controversial. Ioanna Kachimili MP (PPK-SDEKA), for instance, believes that "The Government swallowed it's ego to save four million lives, and this is courageous. We have been humiliated but we can build our pride back up. The Government is here to serve our people and not it's external image."

Other politicians have been far more skeptical. Senator Eleutherios Skambilis (LAK-SYNKA) mentioned: "Surely, the loss of four million of our compatriots would be tragic enough. But we should also consider that this is a big blow to our nation's honour. As regrettable as it may seem, sacrificing four million of our fellow citizens so as to satisfy our ancestors would have been more appropriate, because this is the most disgraceful thing that has happened in our history. This sets a dangerous precedent. Now, we lost our land dishonourably, but we can still avert the damage by deterring anthellenic behaviour from our press and punishing our criminals in the executive branch. It's only fair."

The Eagleland Golden Dawn, whose status as a criminal organisation still stands, has criticised the move by the Eagleland Ministry of National Defence Police to arrest the surviving 978 EGD veterans of the New Pontus War for war crime charges, and retains a hostile view on New Pontites. "The reality is that New Pontites are cowards.", said the President of the Eagleland Golden Dawn, Ioannis Michaloliakos, from his cell in a Tier III Prison. "Yes, our government is made up of cowards, too, as hard as our brave co-patriots fought to keep New Pontus free as long as possible, and given that our brave warriors were arrested and not praised for their honourable conduct, but if they eventually decided to sacrifice our honour for four million lives, then those four million lives are made up of cowards who would no longer fight. To me," he concluded, "they should have died. This country has enough tossers already. And talk about allies that we have. Even the Bariyans would have been better allies than the Emmerians and Belfrasians."

Earlier today, the President, Vice-President and all members of the Presidential Council, as well as the Mayor of New Pontus, the chief of the Pontus Defence Force and the five members of the Eaglelander Corps Diplomatique involved in the treaty-making process, were all arrested by the Ministry of National Defence Police for High Treason. The tribunal will be held tomorrow at the Court of Cassation, and if convicted they will all be executed under the law. No appeals in their instance are authorised, and if the President, whose popularity in recent polls plummeted to a mere 48.9% from a 61.65% two months ago, is executed elections will be declared. None of the above were authorised to comment.

Investors meanwhile were terrified by recent events, but the probability of privatising healthcare and education, plus the eventual reduction in taxes, led to a limited drop in both the XKON-7 (-2.8%) and the ASBE-35 (-4.3%). However, because of increased demand for food in order to facilitate the adaption process of four million refugees, the PDI went up by 2.58%.

Ioannis Vasilikos reported from Constantinople, Konstantineian Capital Territory. Konstantinos Irakeides contributed to the article from Constantinople, KCT.

MORE IN EAGLELAND
  • OPINION: Should the executive be punished? [ 4,569 ]
  • Athens riots continue as retired military personnel join protests. [ 8,755 ]
    Image Comments [ 10,908 ] | Image E-mail this article
    © ENT 2014

PRIVATISATION DEBATE INTENSIFIES IN SENATE
Senators continue the heated and divisive debate over the future of the Eagleland's 'limited welfare state.'
28 December 2014 | By Ioannis Vasilikos (@john_vas) (ENT)

Though markets have been hit over the New Pontus War, experts suggest that the recovery process would be expedited faster with the privatisation of the Eagleland's education and healthcare insudtries, which would invariably lead to a reduction in taxes..

Constantinople, KCT — In light of the recent war in New Pontus, the Eagleland Senate, i.e. the upper house of parliament, convened earlier today to discuss the future of the Eagleland's economic model, which, albeit successful, is "under threat by global developments", because of the Eagleland's tax regime, which, although considered as a balance between minarchies and welfare states, remains moderately high by CDI standards, with the exception of Arthurista and Anthor, which have more stringent taxation regimes. This is reflected by the fact that both the XKON-7 (Constantinople Stock Exchange) and the ASBE-35 (Athens Shares and Bonds Exchange) fell by 5.1% and 3.95% respectively, but the PDI (Piraeus Dry Index), one of Pardes' most important stock exchanges exclusively for maritime trade involving dry bulk cargo, increased by 5.59%, at the peak of the New Pontus War two months ago. Since then, both markets markets recovered, and the PDI has gone up at more modest levels. But if privatisations were to occur, and were the Eagleland to become a minarchy, the effects on all 3 markets, plus the overall economy, would be greater, according to economists.

"With nations such as [Alleghania] bordering us," mentioned accredited economist Konstantinos Koumoundouros, "it is no surprise that some serious [investors] are disincentivised into investing [in the Eagleland], given our tax regime which is far heavier than anything they have [in Allehgania]. A privatisation would alleviate these issues and would guarantee a faster economic recovery, now that $150 billion of economic activity in New Pontus have been removed thanks to our [loss] of this land."

Senator Maria Ioannidi (NNA-SYNKA) was in favour of a "neoliberal realignment"; "Our economy is among the most efficient in Pardes," she attested, "but this [system] is unsustainable. Our economy is taxed heavily by Free Pardes standards, and especially when neighbouring Alleghania is marginally preferred for investments owing to it's light [taxation] system. I attest to the reality that it is now time for this country to complete the liberalisation of the economy, shrink down the government and create a free country, which is more aligned with the anarcho-capitalist mindset, hidden within the average Eaglelander's psyche. The states should privatise all their hospitals and schools, and instead offer financial grants to the poor for treatment and education, respectively."

"This would save this country $700 billion at the very least.", she concluded.

The EKA (Libertarian Party) were in favour of this proposal, as attested by one of the two senators of the EKA, Marios Kyrakopoulos (WA - EKA), who said "Giving the people choice is vital for turning this country into a free state. People are responsible for their actions, and the state can only support, but not assist and micromanage throughout. The Eagleland is fiercely statist in education, healthcare and despite our surpluses this system is vulnerable to recessions because this 'moderate' tax burden will become very heavy indeed in a recession. Let's face it, the average Eaglelander hates taxes, it's in our DNA. Most of our ancestors who suffered from Aquilinian Tyranny never paid a cent in taxes, and if the Aquilinians came they would have to kill us first. Let's end statism, as Miss Ioannidi proposed."

However, this sparked a fierce debate in the Senate over the nature of the privatisations, even among the SYNKA (Conservative Party), SDEKA (Social Democrat Party), and the PSA (Greens). Konstantinos Markopoulos (LA - SYNKA) mentioned "Rather than comparing us to countries with no healthcare or education, as if we were the sick man of Pardes, we should see ourselves as a gem among the rocks, because the Eagleland, much like Arthurista and Eslovakia, is one of the few countries in Pardes with a remarkable public education system and a healthcare system that is accesible to all. Our people have faith in our governments' ability to deliver healthcare and education, and we should not be encouraging the states to drop these systems; it's what makes our country great. We have no need to compare ourselves to others, and we need not amend the tax regime for the time being.".

The other Senator from Lekanopedion Attikis, Maria Xanthou (LA - SDEKA), was slightly more explosive with her statements: " The economy is not just the rich who want to get richer by evading taxes; it's also the poor of this country that need our help. When you get sick in the Eagleland, you know the government will treat you first and ask the bill later. And if you are poor and you have children you can send them to good schools where, for no cost at all, they can have a chance at a better future, which is exactly what constitutes this country as a meritocracy. Frankly, I am disgusted by the fact that the oligarchs in this country want to destroy what little hope our poor have for their future and thus create an underclass of servants, ruled by aristocrats who have the 'divine right to rule.' You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

The debate is very likely to continue, and given that the central government is responsible for education and healthcare, it's importance will mount as time progresses. However, this debate has inevitably sparked other debates in the local governments, and while public support for the limited nature of the Eagleland's social state remains strong, some areas, such as West Attica and New South Attica, may become the first states to push for privatisation, according to political analyst Konstantina Theodorou. "These two prefectures are the hubs of the Libertarian Party, and especially West Attica, where it all began. It is plausible that their influence may spread over to Conservative members as well and lead to those privatisations, even though the battle for the nation's social state will be extremely heated and libertarians are facing an uphill struggle."

Ioannis Vasilikos reported from Constantinople, Konstantineian Capital Territory. Konstantinos Irakeides contributed to the article from Constantinople, KCT.

MORE IN ECONOMY
  • OPINION: How can we support New Pontites? [ 4,569 ]
  • Merchants concerned over successive natural disasters in Emmeria. [ 8,755 ]
    © ENT 2014

Last edited by The Eagleland on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lovehavn
Civilian

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lovehavn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am

STATE MINISTER FRANTZEN ANNOUNCES AID PACKAGE TO EMMERIA
The Defense Ministry is to deploy 300 Marinejegerkommandoen operators and Medical Corps personnel to Corsica
Annie Bjorn (@A_Bjorn) and Adam Haugen (@TheAdamHaugen)
30 Dec 2014 11:05 pm | Stjørskog, Morriket Løvehavn

A team of Marinejegerkommandoen operators maneuvering during a joint forces exercise, February 2014.
(Courtesy of the Defense Ministry)

STRJØRSKOG, Løvehavn — State Minister Erik Frantzen announced today in a press conference this afternoon that after talks with the U.R. Department of State that Lovehavn would be deployed some three hundred Marines from the elite Marinejegerkommandoen Korps and medical personnel from the 5th Signals Brigade to the Emmerian state of Corsica to aid in the search-and-rescue operation. This comes after the bill introduced by Chair of the Grand Council Garald Magnus which would approve the deployment humanitarian relief forces to Emmeria was passed by the High Assembly 52 to 48. In addition, the Lovehavsk Red Cross has begun a mass food and monetary drive in the Capitol area to help supplement the already massive donations given by churches and charities across Lovehavn for those affected by the disaster.
The aftermath of Hurricane Nicholas on the city of Urbana
(Courtesy of NBN News)

The Category 3 Arctic hurricane which battered northwestern Emmeria and was clocked at having wind speeds in excess of 200 km/h is believed to have left over 2,000 dead with the coastal areas of the Corsica, Acadia, and Avalon state virtually destroyed. The heaviest toll was taken in the Coriscan city of Urbana with Hurricane Nick inflicting a total of $110 billion worth of damage in the area. World leaders and religious figures around the world have been commenting on the tragedy with several states already promising to render aid. The most prolific case of this is the Rodarian government which has donated a sum of $500 million to Emmerian Red Cross and the Rodarion Red Cross, and the Vatican which has donated $35.3 million.

Immediately following the disaster on 27 December, the Grand Council headed by Labour Party Councilor and Chairman Garald Magnus submitted a proposal to the High Assembly which would approve the deployment of military forces to reinforce Emmeria's own Emergency Response Service. The measure passed with a slim margin of 52 to 48 with 15 of the government coalition's Deputies caucusing with the more conservative opposition. The proposal appropriated the mobilization of the 3rd Battalion of the Marinejegerkommandoen - the special operations branch of the Lovehavsk Navy - and the 5th Signals Brigade to, "render humanitarian services and support Emmerian search-and-rescue efforts at the discretion of the Department of Domestic Security."
Marinejegerkommandoen operators prepare to board a ship during
an exercise, September 2014.

(Courtesy of the Defense Ministry)
The Defense Ministry has announced that the amphibious assault ship, HLMS Oksøy, of the 1st Fleet will serve as the base for the detachment, providing helicopter support and housing for refugees from the Aurelian Sea. This supplements a separate measure passed by the High Assembly yesterday which appropriated some $150 million for donation to the Emmerian Red Cross.

Council Chair Garald Magnus labelled this as a critical move for Lovehavn's foreign policy, reinforcing the nation's long history of charity and neutrality. This would mark the second Lovehavsk military deployment on foreign soil since 1623, with the other being a brief deployment to the Tippercommon province of Hyperion in 1986 to secure Lovehavsk assets in the Sweetwater oil field. The conservative opposition in the High Assembly have denounced the action as fiscally irresponsible. Conservative DP Harald Ottesen gave testimony during debate on the proposal, stating, "'humanitarian' military deployments are a slippery slope that will only lead to combat operations on foreign soil in the future." President of the right-wing National Patriot's Party Adolf Jensen has claimed that the use of military forces is an example of the "left-wing government flexing its muscles" and pushing through measures regardless of what the people want.

A valid question has been brought up, however: Why deploy special forces with the support units when the 5th Signals already has a small integrated security force? The Defense Ministry says they are being sent to not only provide security for the Army's operations but also to perform search-and-rescue. However, if the statements given by Emmerian Department of Domestic Security are to be considered, political commentator Alv Roen of the Løvehode News Network has concluded that in all likelihood Lovehavsk personnel will be floundering in the Aurelian Sea while the Emmerian national guard handles the recovery operations.

Defense analyst and political science professor Arleta Jorstad of the Academy of Stjørskog has speculated that the true intention of the commitment is not necessarily to help those Emmerian afflicted by Hurricane Nick, but rather to tell to the world that Lovehavn is capable of expeditionary military operations.

Lovehavsk military procedure is centered around a concept coined the Dybdahl Doctrine, set as precedent by Defense Deputy Aleks Dybdahl in his testimony to High Assembly during a budgetary session on 18 April 1969. The Dybdahl Doctrine calls for a armed forces focused primarily on internal defense, humanitarian efforts, and country-insurgency operations with a limited expeditionary capability. As such, Lovehavsk forces rarely deploy overseas except to engage in relief operations or to secure Lovehavsk embassies. The Marinejegerkommandoen are part of the one branch of the Lovehavsk Defense Forces which is well-suited to expeditionary warfare: the Marine Korps. Since the beginning of the "Modern Liberal Age" within Lovehavn in the mid-1980's, a policy of legal neutrality has been the unwritten rule which has dictated Lovehavsk foreign policy. This move by the Grand Council has been speculated by some as being the Lovehavn government's first step in getting involved in regional affairs once more. This would back up many rumors in the Assembly Chamber that the State Ministry is considering applying for membership in the Council for Mutual Security and Association which currently extends from Kasaishima and Anikatia to northern Skandera.

MORE FROM PNN
  • Category 3 Arctic Hurricane Slams West Coast of Emmeria [ 5871 ]
  • Unrest grows in Eagleland as New Pontus refugees return [ 10,908 ]
  • Pope calls for mass charitable mobilisation in aftermath of Hurricane Nicholas [ 0 ]
    Image Comments [ 119 ]
    Image E-mail
    Copyright © 2014 Løvehode Media ASA. All rights restricted.
Last edited by Lovehavn on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bogoria1
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogoria1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:07 am

103 soldiers killed in 11 days of violence'

Rebel forces have organised and unified their actions, producing heavy resistance to the Army's operation in the South

December 31 2014| 13.30 PM PCT | înregistrate| By: Valdis Simakute | @VSimakuteBBC

Bogoria is now in civil war according to Prime Minister Milos Spidla, his declaration comes after the Ministry of Defence stated that the Bogorian Defence Force has suffered 103 deaths since the deployment of Ground Forces eleven days ago. The Ground Forces have failed to enter Konin, with stiff resistance around the town of Skowi, the Ground Forces have set up areas of control around Skowi and reports from within Konin have indicated air strikes and artillery bombardments of key areas such as the radio and television stations. Yet as Bogoria and the rest of the world prepares to enter 2015, its clear that 2015 will be a dangerous and dark year for Bogoria. The MoD reports that at least 500 rebel soldiers have been killed, however the rebels have dismissed this. In new developments this morning, the senior leaders of the MasurianPlac have met in the town of Zielona Gora, 4km north of the Rodarion border, where they have reportedly agreed to form a unified front against the government.

Since the 20th of December, the Bogorian Defence Force which deployed four brigades to the South to regain control over restive areas, has faced stiff opposition since crossing the Central Vistula Canal, they have managed to liberate several towns and villages along routes towards Konin and Librantowa, however in the past six days resistance has stiffened and the death toll escalated. From the 20th to 25th, 26 soldiers were killed and 30 others wounded in clashes with armed militants. From the 26th till today, 77 soldiers have been killed and a further 129 injured. The Air Force has played a key role in taking out concentrations of enemy forces, with numerous heavily fortified checkpoints along routes towards to Konin being destroyed by aircraft alone.

Minister of Defence Andrius Kubilius, gave this statement this morning, "despite the loss of life we are seeing, we are defeating these terrorists town by town, village by village. We will remove their stain from Konin and Librantowa, we will defeat them wherever they are in the South, we will simply hunt them down and remove them, there is no hiding from us, there will be no mercy from us, we will achieve absolute victory over fear, terrorism and muderous hatred. No matter the cost we face, we will defeat terrorism in our homeland and restore law and order to our nation, we must stomach the loss, if we do not do so, the terrorists will be victorious."

The BDF reached with 18km of Konin, before being stopped due to fierce rebel resistance, with numerous bridges and overpasses leading the city, being destroyed beforehand, forcing the BDF to either slow or halt its advance. 9 soldiers were killed yesterday when their armoured vehicle was destroyed by a mine, 1km west of the town of Skowi. Three engineers where killed this morning, attempting to repair a damaged bridge north of Skowi, which would allow the BDF to attack Konin from the east, the rebels have accused the government of misleading the public and the international community over losses taking, with one rebel group tweeting, "the government is lying to the people of the North over how many sons and brothers have been killed by our hands, they lie only to continue their oppression and tyranny over the south."

Just an hour ago, the government took down social media sites in the South, denying rebel groups public influence and the ability to communicate through such means, the BDF took down the Southern Rural Radio Station in Prudnik, aswell as taking the town itself, denying the rebels access to the neighbour nation of Iron Vale, the move came following reports that the rebels had been using several safehavens in Iron Vale, however this is rejected by both Rebels and other figures within the government. United Bogoria party deputy leader, Augusts Potite said in the National Assembly today, "unless Konin is returned under government control, this crisis will deepen and worsen, the city must be taken whatever the cost, the north stands with the Defence Force against terrorism and Catholic fundamentalist extremism."

However many analysts and experts doubt the BDF will commit to a full-scale assault against Konin, due the high levels of violence that would ensue and the liklihood of catestrophic civilian casaulties and the same for BDF soldiers. Former head of the Bogorian Defence Force, General Mikas Belevicius said, "it is unlikely that the Defence Force will move to retake Konin by force, such an operation would require vast amounts of material and personnel, something the BDF does not have, this is on top of the fact that the vast majority of rebel soldiers within the city know the layout off the back of their hand and the most likely situation that any attack on the city would become the focus of the rebels, their numbers would grow and it would become a bloodbath, for both sides and of course for the civilian population. What will most likely happen is that the city will be surrounded and cut off from supply and support and the rebel leadership forced to negotiate or surrender."

The rebel leadership has reportedly met in the town of Zielona Gora, over the past eleven days the rebel opposition has been a collection of armed groups, political groups and ideological cults, however many within the BDF suspect the meeting in the town is a sign that the rebel groups are unifying and amassing as a single entity. Already over the past few days rebel groups have appeared more coordinated and effecient, moving to various towns and villages within the path of the BDF, opposing them nearly at every turn. The Internal Security Agency (ISA) has reported that several conversations were listened to, indicating that Wislaw Sokol is attempting to form a single political entity to represent the south, he has gained the support of the MasurianPlac leaders, key figures within the South Bogorian Defence Front (SBDF), Popular Defence Brigades and most importantly the December 19 Movement (D19). Other smaller rebel brigades are also pledging their support according to the ISA report. However the ISA could not confirm whether reports of the meeting in Zielona Gora are true or false, denying the government the chance to remove the rebel leadership entirely in one move.

The effects of the crisis are being felt in the north, with Utena and Oprava subjected to a six hour long blackout last night, six other blackouts have effected the north due to the mass strike in the South, which has seen the countries coal mines go without any staff for over three weeks. There is also shortages of several foodstuffs, as numerous farms go untended by their farmers.

The BDF has stated that it will continue pushing south with the ultimate goal of taking Konin and Librantowa, defeating the nascent rebel movement, however it is feared that growing losses will force the BDF to re-evaluate is strategy or even reconsider its operation as a whole, however President Kirkilas has made clear that the operation will not stop until the rebel leadership is arrested and law and order is returned to the South.

We will cover this story as it develops further.

BBC's Valdis Simakute contributed to this report.

MORE IN PARDES
  • Live Updates: Violence in the South [ 5243 ]
  • Live Updates: BDF Operation [ 9429 ]
  • Live Updates: Rebel held areas [ 1375 ]
MORE FROM PRRB
  • 13 Lithuanians murdered in Kaldis Enclave [ 1824 ]
  • Blackouts continue [ 2782 ]
  • New Pontus surrendered [ 1003 ]
    Image E-mail

The Eagleland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eagleland » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:44 am

SUPREME COURT TRIBUNAL REACHES DECISION ON HIGH TREASON CASE
The President, Vice President, Cabinet and Diplomats acquitted of High Treason; PDF Commander aquitted but dishonourably discharged; NP Governor to be imprisoned.
31 December 2014 | By Ioannis Vasilikos (@john_vas) (ENT)

Though markets have been hit over the New Pontus War, experts suggest that the recovery process would be expedited faster with the privatisation of the Eagleland's education and healthcare insudtries, which would invariably lead to a reduction in taxes..

Athens, LA — The Eagleland Court of Cassation has reached a verdict earlier today regarding the High Treason Case, which was pressed by the Eagleland Senate over the National Government and the Local Government of New Pontus. According to the charge, the President of the Eaglelander Republic, Konstantinos Theodoropoulos, the Vice President, Ioanna Vlachogiannidi, the Prime Minister, Maria Konstantzoglou, the 15 members of the Presidential Council, the Commander of the Pontus Defence Force, Vasilis Papakonstantinides, and the Governor of New Pontus, Anna Pantelidou, have all been accused of High Treason over the diplomatic cessation of New Pontus, as it was done without the prior consent of the Senate and without approval by the Eagleland Ministry of National Defence General Staff. The Defence stated that such procedure was time-consuming and drastic action was needed to preserve the lives of 4.6 million persons.

After a five-hour hearing, with arguments for and against the intervention presented, the 25 justices of the Court of Cassation reached a verdict on this landmark case, and ordered the acquittal of the President, Vice-President, Prime Minister and of the Presidential Council, with the following justification: "The honour of the nation would be harmed either way by this military disaster, hence it was of utmost importance to preserve the lives of our people, and the actions of the National Government cannot be considered as constituting High Treason, in either a de jure or a de facto sense. To prevent a total loss of our assets, people and reputation, a diplomatic solution was clearly sought and utilised, given the fact that alternative solutions were prohibitively expensive in terms of finances and time."

However, while they have all been acquitted of High Treason, the court attested, for the members of the executive, that: "The executive branch's failure to obey the Constitution in regards to such affairs, as well as the cessation of our land, which cannot be accepted, is not to go completely unpunished. This court, therefore, commands the Senate to issue a vote of confidence on the present executive political leadership, and if found unfit, this court will authorise their expulsion from Government. This court also demands that 25% of your financial assets be seized and permanently confiscated, effective immediately, by the Ministry of National Defence Police as punishment for your incompetence, and both the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the President of the Eaglelander Republic must appologise to the public."

Moreover, the Court was not merciful on the Governor of New Pontus, Anna Pantelidou, stating that: "The failure of the political and military leadership of New Pontus was evident in the failure to evacuate civilian personnel from urban areas, as well as the failure to fortify positions before the war began. The friendly spirit presented during the cessation of Mount Greece to the Ankaran Menace is to be condemned and, in order to morally satisfy our nation's honour and our victims of this plague, Ms. Pantelidou's appeal for innocence has been dismissed. Instead, this court will sentence Ms. Pantelidou with a ten-year sentence at a Tier IV Prison, as, after all, her acquittal would create a dangerous precedent." The Commander of the Pontus Defence Force, Lieutenant General Eleutherios Konstantinides, has been acquitted but will face a hearing by the Eagleland Army General Staff regarding his future.

The Chief Justice also closed his verdict with the following precedent: "Let their punishments act as a precedent for all future political leaders in this country, who wish or be forced to cede any centimetre of this land to foreign nations. This court warns that leniency is exhausted and that no such cessations will be tolerated, lest the entire executive branch of Government be executed for this heinous crime, no matter what the consequences may be."

Later in the day, a vote of confidence was held by the Senate, which, however controversial, resulted in a 51.8% in favour of the current Government. President Theodoropoulos mentioned, in a public statement: "I accept my punishment as fair, but I am also thankful that our judicial system retains logic in such heinous conditions. We shall build this country's honour, and we shall be vindicated in the end. In a few years' time, historians will quote that we prevented a human crime of epic proportions from happening and they will praise us. It is unfortunate that the Governor of New Pontus was imprisoned, but "dura lex, sed lex". I appologise to the Eagleland People for this failure, but we have saved four million people and I ask you to forgive us over it." The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Anastasia Ioakovopoulou, has also appologised in her relevant statement.

General Konstantinos Skepernakos' absence organising the withdrawal from New Pontus, the Eagleland Army General Staff, led by LTG Georgios Tremopoulos, convened for the future of Lieutenant General Eleutherios Konstantinides. An unanimous decision was taken to dishonourably discharge LTG Konstantinides, who refused to issue statements to the press.

Protests meanwhile, continue, and have intensified. The Eagleland Police have enacted a curfew on the city centre from 23:30 to 05:30, and are authorised to utilise kettling manoeuvres on protesters if riots escalate, but local District Attorneys have refused, thus far, to prohibit protests in their districts. As the DA of Athens, Konstantina Theodosiou, said: "The damages caused are not severe enough to delegitimise the protests, and while those responsible for the recent deaths have been arrested, that is not an excuse to deduce that all protesters are criminals." She concluded: "The Police will maintain control of the situation."

Meanwhile, the remaining Eagleland Armed Forces and Pontus Civil Guard personnel have evacuated New Pontus soil and there are preparations to receive them at Limani Themistokleous. As Mayor Ioannis Skamalos mentioned, "Our heroes deserve a hero's welcome. Even though we lost, we saved four million lives and while our citizens are angry at the Government, no one is angry at the military. They fought hard and smart and many of them never returned. We will prepare a hero's welcome, and I will give General Konstantinos Skepernakos of the Eagleland Army, as well as Lieutenant General Vasileios Vasileiades of the Pontus Civil Guard, the key to the Eagleland's largest city."

MORE IN ECONOMY
  • OPINION: Was NP betrayed from the start? [ 4,569 ]
  • General Skepernakos, 5 PCG and 25 EAF personnel to receive the ΟR. [ 8,755 ]
    © ENT 2014

Last edited by The Eagleland on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Central Prestonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Central Prestonia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:12 am

(OOC: This is meant to have occurred on New Year's Day)

2015 Diet Session Underway as Howe Government Talks Economy, Foreign Relations in Throne Speech

Hudson The pomp and circumstance of Imperial authority and ancient tradition were on full display this afternoon as His Imperial and Apostolic Majesty Albert Francis officially declared the 2015 legislative session of the Imperial Diet open for business.

The two-hour televised ceremony, Albert Francis' first as Emperor since taking the throne last June, began with a ride in the Imperial State Carriage from Grantham Palace to the Palace of the Diet, flanked by the Household Division and greeted by an estimated crowd of 25,000 onlookers who braved the frigid conditions to catch a glimpse of the procession. For those who were not so lucky, telescreens were set up throughout the city and elsewhere for public viewing.

With the arrival of the Emperor at the Palace of the Diet, the standard bearing the Emperor's personal cypher was run up the flagpole, signifying his presence there. The 645 elected members of the Diet, meanwhile, were received into a waiting hall and customarily commanded to turn over their swords, symbolising the Palace's status as a neutral meeting place. Finally, the MDs were led into the Great Chamber, where their oath of office was administered by the Archbishop of Hudson in his capacity as Lord Chaplain of the Diet.

With the Diet sworn and seated, the Emperor now made his appearance, arriving at the doors as they were symbolically slammed in his face. In accordance with tradition, his command to be admitted entrance was denied three times before a rephrased request for permission to enter the chamber was granted. Dressed in state regalia including the Imperial State Crown and with his son Prince David bearing the train of the Great Robe of State, the Emperor was escorted to the waiting throne. From there, the Throne Speech was delivered by the Archbishop of Hudson from a cloth sack kept by the Premier Jordan Howe, and read to the assembly.

The speech, an outline of the government's platform for the upcoming year, focused primarily on economic matters, with Howe's government making explicit promises of 5.5% GDP growth for the calendar year and pledging a reform of the tax regime including a ten-year tax holiday on newly-established small businesses and foreign business opening in Prestonia. Howe's speech also made promises of a "restructuring" of Royal Crown Petroleum, widely interpreted as referring to privatization in light of subsequent comments regarding OFEM. The speech also made references to addressing the youth pay gap and cutting income inequality, seen by commentators as concessions to the Labour opposition reflective of Howe's earlier promise to work across the aisle.

In foreign affairs matters, the speech called for a greater role for Prestonia in the outside world in the coming year, reiterating much of the Emperor's own rhetoric regarding the nation as "a global force for peace." This stands in sharp contrast to the Federal Party's strong noninterventionist stances, and early analysis has suggested it may represent a greater hand of the more hawkish Union Party in the coalition. Specific comments made toward regional security and deepening local ties have started the rumour mill anew regarding possible membership in CMSA as a policy point for this legislative session, though published manifestos from either party did not address this possibility.

With the speech concluded, the Emperor departed to fanfare, leaving the Imperial State Crown in a sealed glass box as a symbol of the Diet's authority to convene in his name. As its first action, the Diet held a moment of silence for the victims of Hurricane Nicholas, which struck Emmeria last week and caused over 3,000 deaths. Nicholas is the most destructive arctic hurricane in terms of human impact since Cyclone Donovan struck the Prestonian city of Fulham in 1991, causing 500 deaths and come C890 million in property damage and insurance claims. Addressing the Diet at the conclusion of maiden speeches from newly elected MDs, Mr Howe pledged that the Emmerian people "would not be abandoned" in the response to this crisis.

"I have spoken with President Vaziri, in conjunction with His Imperial and Apostolic Majesty, and we have assured Mr Vaziri and the Emmerian people that we are ready and willing to provide whatever his nation requires to aid its recovery. To this effect, I have directed the Admiralty to place on immediate standby the hospital vessels Peace and Compassion to provide emergency medical care and augment the hospital system of the city of Urbana which, we understand, is currently under severe strain from the casualties received. Additionally we have activated 500 Imperial Marines for possible humanitarian deployment to Emmeria for the purpose of establishing field hospitals and supply distribution centres in an effort to limit secondary casualties from this disaster. Our thoughts and prayers go with the Emmerian people, and with the consent of my honourable colleagues, our actions will follow."

Ave.

Davisholm
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Davisholm » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:47 pm

DBN reports
Full text: the Chancellor's New Year address
Including the rebuttal from the Shadow Chancellor

New Year's Address from the Chancellor, Harriet Deacon
My fellow citizens and parliamentarians,

It is pleasure for the government to address you today at the start of a new year. I am sure that 2015 will be an eventful and exciting year for Davisholm.

In 2014, the economy of Davisholm grew by 1.9%. The Reserve Bank is even more optimistic for 2015. We are seeing signs that the economy is gathering momentum, a stark contrast to the recession and stagnation is suffered under the previous Liberal-Union government. The deficit is shrinking and the national debt is no longer rising in relative size. The jobless are returning back to work. Overall, Davisholm enjoys a positive outlook for the near-future. But there is no time for complacency. Firstly, there is every chance that an unexpected developments in other countries could disrupt our growth. Secondly, there are deeper issues in the economy of Davisholm that need to be addressed.

This year, the government plans to make use of the better economy, by investing in education and infrastructure. This is not short-term spendthrift, but long-term planning. Our economy cannot rely on Davisholm's relatively cheap labour costs if it is to stay competitive in the future. We need to nurture skills and a culture of research and innovation. We will continue to lobby for free trade with the other nations in Free Pardes, such as supporting OFEM as they investigate price manipulation in the energy market. The Public Sector Ethics Bill will employ new and varied ways to fight corruption and inefficiency in our government institutions.

Our government maintains its belief that a socially progressive and tolerant culture is beneficial to Davisholm. We believe that all citizens should be treated equally, regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, social class - or many other things that make us different. We will double federal spending on equality projects and create a new ministry to manage this area of policy. We will also take steps to protect the environment, with both the new Clean Air Bill and the Energy Efficiency Bill. We will amend the tax code to favour companies who find innovative ways to reduce our energy consumption and protect the environment.

Later this year, Davisian voters will vote to decide who should govern the land for the next four years. We are confident in our belief that after four years of progress and recovery, voters will give the Davisian Socialist Worker's Party a second term in power. Our government will soon begin consulting to decide on the appropriate time to hold the election. Before this Parliament completes its term, we have a series of reforms to implement to strengthen our democracy. The Campaign Finance Bill will increase regulations on donations and political activities by non-political organisations, to ensure that our politicians are held accountable to voters and not to special interests. The Lobbying Bill will create a national register of lobbying organisations to make their activities more transparent.

In our foreign policy, we will not stray from the path of supporting Free Pardes and allying with the good. We will send a multi-million package of aid to Emmeria to support communities affected by the devastating Hurricane Nicholas. We will lead the search for a resolution to the growing conflict in Bogoria that protects the rights of all who live there. We will uphold our obligations to our allies and avoid any further military cuts.

Our policies for this year finish the work we started in 2011. We have worked to make Davisholm a country that is fairer and more prosperous and we that in return for our achievements, that we will be rewarded with another four years. I wish you all a very happy new year indeed.

Official response from the Shadow Chancellor, Tom McFadden
On behalf of the opposition, I ask the Chancellor: if you are so confident of winning the next election, why won't you call an early election? We are raring to go for the battle that lies ahead this year. We hope that the government's unconstitutional plan to stifle political free speech will not be enough to save the socialists from a well-earned defeat.

The Liberal Party managed the economy of Davisholm for nearly 18 years and during that time we experienced levels of growth that made us envied in many countries over. We were the ones who made Davisholm the developed country it is today. The Deacon government has taken up the money we saved and squandered it. Economic development has been hampered by bureaucratic regulation, high taxes and spendthrift. Billions of shillings have already been wasted on pointless projects and the daftest government fads. In her speech, the Chancellor has pledged to waste billions more.

Under Deacon, our national debt has ballooned and is still growing as we speak. Not only is the government growing larger too, but it is laying down more rules and eroding liberty. The socialists are making a dangerous mistake by trying to impose their moral views on the rest of the nation, undermining Davisholm's tradition of decentralised government and powerful provinces. We hope that by the end of this year, the socialist power grab will be brought to an abrupt and permanent halt.
Last edited by Davisholm on Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ankaran Union
Secretary

Founded: Jul 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ankaran Union » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Nation rejoices in victory over Eagleland

Millions of patriotic citizens have taken to the streets in celebration of Erdine's return to the Union

January 7, 2015| 14.58 PM PCT |Sertifikalı| By: Volkan Emin

The celebrations were waited for long enough, at last the government has declared Erdine returned and millions have responded with unrivaled celebrations and euphoria. Across the Union citizens have heard the call and begun rallying in support of the State following its success in leading the galant and heroic National Army to victory over the Eaglelander imperialists. Comrade Kılavuz Ekrem Kader today announced that New Pontus had been annexed and was now officially renamed to Erdine. Speaking live to the nation this morning, Comrade Kader stated, "Erdine has returned to its people, and the peoples of the Union have returned to Erdine, today we say to the world, we are strong, we are spirited and we will succeed. Today, the Union and the Islamic World has been redeemed, we are defeating imperialism." In Erkmentepe, the birthplace of the Union, over 590,000 people descended upon Atankari Square, where they rallied in support of the National Army and the State. The Interior Ministry has announced two days of national celebration, all businesses and schools will be closed to allow all citizens to celebrate in the Union's victory.

After 300 years of Greek tyranny and oppression, Erdine has been returned to the Union and its people. The five day conflict which has left over 80,000 people dead on both sides, has shown that the Ankaran Union is capable of defeating an advanced capitalist nation and securing victory in the face of discrimination and complete underestimation. "After centuries of immoral and deplorable occupation, after they had come here to our land, abused our weakness and stole from us, our most sovereign and treasured land, they pillaged and desecrated it with visious racial capitalism, those ethnic Ankarans trapped by their enforced poverty within Erdine, where stranded in a circle of poverty and discrimination, yet we succeed at last to liberate not only those poor destitute souls, but liberated our most sovereign and treasured land and now the work must begin to clense the land of the Greek stain, rebuild and build upon that land, a monument to this Union's destiny, a monument to the sacrifice of Union's peoples, a testament to resistance."

Ankaran forces secured victory on the 8th September last year, when the New Pontus authorities and the Eaglelander government agreed to neogtiate a surrender of the territory to the Union. The agreement stated that the Eaglelander authorities would have until the 30 December to evacuate whomever and whatever they wished, on that day the Ankaran National Army would assume control of the territory, yet officially it would be remain an Eaglelander territory, this would be the case until the 7th January when officially the territory is annexed into the Union. From the 30 December till today, the ANA was tasked with assisting the evacuation of any Eaglelander left behind, it was also tasked with the clearing up process, removing debris and ruins from the roads and re-establishing water, electricity and gas. Today, further construction crews are expected to be transported into Erdine to begin reconstruction.

Deputy Kılavuz Saeed Rasfanjani addressed soldiers returning from New Pontus in Canakkale, he said, "you are heroes of a manner befitting the soldiers who fought for our National Union Party and the Patriotic Revolution eighty years ago, you secured victory for your Union and your families in five days, you showed the world your will and your fighting spirit, you showed the world our might. You defeated Greek, you removed his dark corrupting hand from our soil, you released his grip from the throat of Erdine, you liberated our nation's soul and realesed it from the prison of shame."

Comrade Kılavuz Ekrem Kader called for celebrations,
yet warned the imperialists would demand revenge

"You have brought us glory, you have brought us redemption and you have brought honour to your families, the Union is in your debt. If it was not for your sacrifice and the matrydom of so many of our comrades, Erdine would not be free, Erdine would continue to languish in the depths of Eaglelander depravity and excessive racialism, they stole Erdine from us during our most darkest hour, like an opportunisitic parasite and sucked the land dry of its sanctity and denied the land its sovereign right to return to its people, but you, you the soldiers of the Union, brought Erdine back and slowly but surely, its sanctity will be returned and its people reunited with its soil" Comrade Rasfanjani continued.

Erdine will now face mass reconstruction and deconstruction, as numerous monoliths to the former occupation by the Eaglelander is destroyed. There is an estimated 470,000 ethnic Eaglelanders remain in Erdine, most of whom failed to leave the territory before the 30 December deadline, abandoned by their government. The Ministry of the Interior has stated that these individuals must decide whether to maintain their Eaglelander citizenship or take up Ankaran citizenship, should they choose the former, they are required to leave the Union within 4 weeks, if they choose Ankaran citizenship they may remain within Erdine. However tensions within Erdine are high, among the 800,000 ethnic Ankaran citizens and the remaining Eaglelanders, due to the occupation authority use of massacres during the summer of 2014 to deal with popular protest against the occupation, the Interior Ministry and the National Army have stated that between 5,000 and 25,000 ethnic Ankarans may have been murdered by the occupation authorities from June till September.

Speaking to the nation, Comrade Kılavuz Ekrem Kader demanded that the people worked towards one more victory, "I ask of you comrades, to have the world hear your songs of joy, songs of victory and songs of national pride. Let them hear our cry, let them hear our roar, as finally step back onto soil denied to us for so long, soil now drenched in the blood of martyrs and the blood of the occupier, who now cowers in the shadows within his own home, who is now in chaos and the occupier's people weep at their defeat, never before has the warmongerer sobbed so, we were underestimated and we corrected their estimation and now they feel the shame, whilst we feel the glory of our sarifices.

"Today, we are a nation reborn, a nation united, a nation with a mission, our mission now is to prepare for the inevitable revenge the imperialists will demand, the Eaglelanders were failed by their CDI allies, who did nothing to aid them in the defense of immoral oppression and racialist tyranny, yet there is a great possibility, the imperialists will regain control of Eagleland's soul and mind and they along with their allies will try and come here and tear us down, because we broke the mould, we showed the world that the less developed, the so called third world can defeat the first and drive them back from where came and by God's will, we shall do so over and over until every imperialist is removed from Ankaran, Persian, Arab and every Muslims' soil."

Mass patriotic rallies, musical concerts and military parades will dominate festivities tomorrow, as the nation is granted a day of celebration. Please visit ARTN's page for your province for more information on events in your local area.

ARTN's Volkan Emin contributed to this report.

MORE IN THE ANKARAN UNION
  • Erdine Reconstruction to begin [ 3241 ]
  • The shaming of a leading nation [ 281 ]
  • Union to increase trade with RCO nations [ 11119 ]
MORE FROM ARTN
  • Baharaqi Vice President Farhan Ali Sadat to vist Union [ 4424 ]
  • 16 martyred in factory fire [ 2682 ]
  • How Islamic Collectivism secured the Union's victory in Erdine [ 11573 ]
    Image Comments [ Comments Disabled ]
    Image E-mail
    © Ankaran Radio and Television 2013

Arthurista
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 pm

OPERATION POSEIDON’S WRATH CONCLUDED OFF COAST OF TALIBASTAIN

CDI navies put on grand show of “AirSea Battle”

Operation Poseidon’s Wrath, a major naval exercise conducted on the shores of Talibastain, ended today with a spectacular demonstration in front of journalists from around the region. The drills involved ships, weapons and personnel from all CDI nations and is the largest of its kind to be conducted in the last decade.

The focus of the exercise was defined as the “forced entry into a contested littoral zone.” In recent years, the rapid growth in ”anti-access/area-denial” (“A2/AD”) capabilities among illiberal regimes around Pardes created considerable alarm in the admiralties of CDI nations, most of them maritime trading powers dependent on secure sea-lanes of communication (“SLOC”) and access into littoral zones. The antidote is a new naval strategy known as AirSea Battle, utilising carrier air power, anti-missile and anti-submarine escorts and specialist littoral combatants to neutralise these emerging threats and restore the maritime power’s ability to intervene inshore.

Combined operations

The exercise, which unfolded over a period of ten days, rapidly took on the characteristic of an enormous cat and mouse game, waged over multiple fronts. The naval task force, centred around carrier battle groups led by the URS Valkyrie, HIMS Samuel IV, HMS King Alexandros and ENS Alexander the Great, kept up a round-the-block bombardment of key targets onshore – anti-ship and anti-air missile batteries from the Arthuristan People’s Army 3rd and 7th Coastal Defence Brigades, which played the majority of the OPFOR. Through camouflage, rapid relocation and signals deception, these missile batteries played hide and seek with UAVs, satellites and other reconnaissance assets. Long range area defence missiles had to be dealt with by specialist electronic warfare aircrafts such as the EA-18G Growler or stealthy F-29 Warriors, while fighter squadrons were run ragged escorting strike aircrafts against defending fighters while simultaneously protecting their host carriers from waves of supersonic missile-carrying bombers – Emmerian and Belhavian B-1 Lancers masquerading as Backfalls or Bedrocks, as well as the all-important AWAC planes from marauding enemy interceptors. Meanwhile, destroyers and frigates played their own deadly game of cat and mouse with diesel electric submarines from the Arthuristan People’s Navy, especially lethal in the littoral zone where the sonar environment is cluttered and speed matters less than stealth. Once the aforementioned onshore targets were deemed to be sufficiently degraded or suppressed, the admirals began to push inshore with LCSs and fast corvettes which, supported by fighter-bombers from the carriers, must fight through minefields, hordes of suicide boats and FACs from two APN fast strike squadrons.

The exercise culminated earlier today with two impressive spectacles for the throngs of observers and journalists from all over Pardes. At 2PM, six ACM-7 Trishula anti-ship ballistic missiles were turned into spectacular fireballs high in the sky over the fleet by SM-3 anti-ballistic missiles. Two hours later, the URMC’s 1st Marine Expeditionary Unit stormed ashore covered by a hurricane artillery bombardment by vessels offshore, signalling the end of the exercise.

”A grain of salt”

Despite the grand show of strength, defence analyst Marie Stross from Greenwich University had her doubts. “The exercise was designed to make a political point. Held in Talibastain, just around the corner from recently-victorious Ankar, it was a warning to regimes hostile to the CDI that despite their newly-acquired toys, we still collectively own the seas. As to whether it was a realistic demonstration of combat capabilities … that’s something we have to treat with a grain of salt.”

Professor Stross went on to describe the various deficiencies which were also highlighted in the course of the exercise. On the very first day, an Emmerian F-29 Warrior was picked up from a sideways angle by a L-band VHF radar, which successfully hid for the past eight hours by simply not radiating and being well-camouflaged, and was ‘killed’ by a AD-12 missile fired from 180km away in an over-the-horizon shot. Two days later, an Eaglelander Frederick Wellson Class destroyer was torpedoed by an Upholder Class diesel electric submarine, playing the part of a Kilo. Another Wellson, this time from the Royal Navy, was holed by a suicide boat when it strayed too close to the shore and too far from a pair of escorting littoral combat ships. On the very last day, a camouflaged lorry-mounted launcher, the last surviving member of its battery which was somehow missed by multiple reconnaissance assets, put two harpoons in a Belhavian Fast Transit Class LPD, then carrying some 400 Emmerian marines on board. Targeting information was provided by a disguised fishing boat, earlier dismissed as ‘harmless’ by a pair of passing Royal Anthorian Navy Dagger Class frigates (HMS Orion and Zelasin).

Professor Stross concluded her analysis on a sceptical note. “The problem of operating close to a shoreline heavily defended by lethal stand-off weapons and asymmetrical means has been the central question for naval strategists over the past decade. A theoretically highly-effective combination of hardware and tactics were developed to counter them. I have no doubt that, pressed with determination; a forced entry into a contested littoral zone can be made. Whether it can be done without the defenders extracting a politically unsustainable price – that is a very different question indeed."
Last edited by Arthurista on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates