NATION

PASSWORD

Black Dawn [OOC/Info/Interest]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Territory
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Territory » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 am

Preliminary tag.

As per IRC, will try to figure out my level of involvment.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am

Okay, as people join up some more spacedy assets are starting to come into play, so I'll explain a little about what we have set up so far:

Arda's main offworld holdings are in the Jupiter system with Io as a main base. Depending on who else gets involved (I can think of a couple players whom I've RPd with in the past that may have claims here) I will extend Arda's holdings to include military installations on Ganymede, Europa, and Callisto of varying degrees of completion. Arda also has mining facilities on Ceres and Vesta, and is very active in the Asteroid Belt in general although specific claims to anything but the largest bodies are obviously difficult or impossible to enforce.

Also depending on who else joins, I will add Ardan holdings to Mars, as I need a human population/strategic consideration on the Red Planet. Nathi has an extant colony there as well; the boundaries (and/or their importance) will be determined by us when it's relevant to the story.

The Saturn system is being reserved until further notice, but I haven't talked to the owner of those claims about the story in a couple of months and I need to make sure he still wants in. One player I just spoke to in IRC claims the Alpha Centauri system as their home.

Also, I've got to get this out of the way now that it has come up a couple of times--

Disclaimer for players holding joint assets with other players:

When possible, I don't plan on denying any player any specific military/national asset they may claim, but as the story's GM I am the final arbiter of what claims belong to who in this particular universe. If you don't like it or it's bad for your nation's continuity, either don't join the RP or treat it as an alternate reality. I will try my best to honor all claims however there is one consideration that I must make explicit: I will not have Morgoth's strategic reach be limited in any way by OOC constraints. I hope this principle also exists on a player-to-player level but that's probably out of my control.

What this means is that if you have a base/weapon/joint force/claim or some other asset that relies on the participation of another player, that asset either doesn't exist or has to be re-imagined if the other player in question does not join the story. I can't have players saying "well I have a base in @@nation@@, but he's not in the story so I guess Morg can't attack it because you can't call his losses," I'm not going to go for that. Part of the reason I walked away from my first attempt at RPing Morgoth in NS had to do with the fact that I felt he was being hemmed in by OOC considerations: I couldn't actually be in character because my character wanted to do things to other people/nations that the players had no interest in writing. So now I'm trying to use him more as an NPC, but I'm going to need everyone to work with me if I'm going to make him a believable and competent villain.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Tarasovka
Chargé d'Affaires

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarasovka » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 am

I think that previous idea I had for a deeper involvement has come into some difficulties. But that's okay.

As far as general Taraskovyan involvement is concerned, that is without any aspect of that previous idea we've discussed, it would be rather distanced. Taraskovya has no direct interests or interactions with Arda and its involvement would depend on the participation of several other players. Namely whether those nations will indeed participate in the story and whether these nations will drag the Empire into a possible war against Morgy.

So I would value potential Taraskovyan involvement as probable, but not 100% guaranteed.
Links: Nation Maintenance Thread and various Bits and Pieces

INCORRECT SPELLING - DOES NOT EXIST:
Adjective: Tarasovkan

CORRECT SPELLING:
Noun: Taraskovya (formal, high flown) ; Tarasovka (routine)
Adjective: Taraskovyan

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:39 am

Tarasovka wrote:I think that previous idea I had for a deeper involvement has come into some difficulties. But that's okay.

As far as general Taraskovyan involvement is concerned, that is without any aspect of that previous idea we've discussed, it would be rather distanced. Taraskovya has no direct interests or interactions with Arda and its involvement would depend on the participation of several other players. Namely whether those nations will indeed participate in the story and whether these nations will drag the Empire into a possible war against Morgy.

So I would value potential Taraskovyan involvement as probable, but not 100% guaranteed.

Players don't have to RP a war if they don't want, but some manner of conflict will be going on off-camera at pretty much all times. I won't give too much away, but I can see it being difficult for governments to justify military non-involvement once Morgoth's fleet begins to appear. As much or as little fighting can occur off-camera as you like, and some nations will be affected more than others but one of my main themes here is the sheer pervasiveness of Morgoth's evil: everyone will be affected, and in most cases, violence will be involved. His main focus will be Arda of course, but it will become pretty clear early on that Morgoth doesn't have any problems with raining death on all and sundry.

I guess what I'm saying here is that if you join the story, you've pretty much been dragged into a war whether you want one or not--although that won't be evident at first. There won't be much room on the fence for sittin' in this scenario! ;)
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Britmattia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Britmattia » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 am

Tagged for reminder and consideration purposes.
A Paladin is no more sane than a man who decides that up is down, and dedicates himself to the preservation of balloons and the destruction of bricks. Nonetheless, there is no breed of man whom I would rather have beside me when the moon is black and the wolves are about. If the Paladin is wrong, then the world is mad, and in an insane world, there is no better police than an army of madmen.

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.00 & Social Libertarian: -2.77

Butmanlands
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Butmanlands » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Assuming I am allowed and because we or on this topic I hope to have a solar system close to this one called X-31 or Panther. It has 3 planets. The planet of Iris, revolving around the star Ross 154 as my home planet. The Planet "Vis" is my second planet and grows all the food and "Sol", the 3rd planet is the military base planet.
Wonderful Paradise
http://ns-butmanland.wikispaces.com/ - my wiki!
April Fool's Jokes, Click here!
Elect me as delegate of Wonderful Paradise!!!! my Sig dump!
Need help on your RP char?
Salzland wrote:Disclaimer: I am not counting Maxtopia or any of Max Barry's accounts, because obviously the person who pays the bills for this site can do whatever he wants. I suppose, then, that whichever account Max Barry is using would qualify as NationStates' only superpower.
JJ Place wrote:Being killed by the super-laser of a moon-sized Imperial military battlestation does not allow you to look for a new homeworld. It makes you dead.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Butmanlands wrote:Assuming I am allowed and because we or on this topic I hope to have a solar system close to this one called X-31 or Panther. It has 3 planets. The planet of Iris, revolving around the star Ross 154 as my home planet. The Planet "Vis" is my second planet and grows all the food and "Sol", the 3rd planet is the military base planet.

If you'd like to be based outside of Sol that's fine, but I find that system setup excessive. I'll give you a homeworld plus a colony + agriculture planet with military assets on various moons/asteroids elsewhere in the system, but three (I'm assuming fully developed) planets is probably out of the question.

I'll be wanting Sol to be the most built-up system in this setting for practical and thematic reasons. That is to say, if you have unilateral control over another system and all the bodies in it, I'm going to insist that its level of general infrastructure (at least anything above and beyond modern standards, on the ground and in orbit etc) be inferior to Sol's. That doesn't mean your fleets can't be as big or your force projection as large as any other nation's, but it does mean I won't be letting people claim like five planets with 20 billion population each and cities, cities everywhere unless maybe it's a diaspora or something.

Weyr
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Weyr » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Am definitely interested, though not sure if Weyr would entirely fit the plot and intended tone. Unlike Ardan alchemists, Weyrean alchemists are quite similar to those found in Fullmetal Alchemist, since I lifted the concept from there back in '04, though it has been modified quite a bit since. Then again, no-one has yet accused me of powergaming, and I try to keep the weirdness to a minimum where it would be inappropriate or wouldn't make sense. Even when deployed, Weyrean magic is rather underpowered, and even the more powerful alchemists and thaumaturges like Kira or Ash won't be summoning demons or hurling tornadoes on a regular basis, if at all. Sad as I am to admit it, Weyr isn't nearly as weird as some nations that I've seen out there; it is quite conventional in most respects. After all, a train is a train whether it is powered by magic or electricity or steam or the blood of virgin cats, and most folk who take that train won't care which it is long as that train gets them to work on time.

All of my characters are killable, and I won't object if Weyr gets flattened so long as there is some sort of reason behind it. Unless someone's claimed them, Weyr should have a sizable population on Ganymede and Callisto and on Mars (Kekkosmaa). All of those are completely open to whatever the plot demands, as is the Weyrean "home island" in the central pacific. There are also negligible extrasolar colonies. Weyr isn't a first-rate power, but it does have a decent fleet, a rapidly expanding industrial base, access to significant thaumaturgic knowledge, and owns some potentially useful real estate in Sol, so could make a noticeable contribution in any armed conflict.

As far as plot goes, there's no real history between Morgoth and Weyr, or between Morgoth's enemies and Weyr, and so Weyr's natural inclination would be to stay out of things. The same would go for the assassination attempt, since Weyr doesn't have close, if any, ties with anyone involved. Weyr has no official allies, and few formal friendships, so Weyr could be induced to side with any party through any number of means. Weyreans aren't suicidal, or at least not so suicidal as to go it alone against a god of sorts, so if Morgoth shows up with a big enough fleet they will simply fold and offer to join him. Those opposing Morgoth could potentially convince Weyr to join them in a similar manner. And while the High King is unlikely to willingly bring Weyr into a war without a very good reason, Weyr's sub-national units can be induced to help or hinder things, depending on what the plot demands or the participants desire. If Morgoth wants third-party support on Mars, all he'd have to do is offer to restore Kekkosmaa to the right members of the Kekko People's Party, for example.
Silence becomes the conspiracy;
silence becomes the conspirators.

— J. Yolen, Allerleirauh

The Lords of War
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lords of War » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 am

So the control of say a primarily 'settled' planet of New Klathcia in System 788, with several other planets in system having nothing more than large mining operations would be acceptable. And of course our Earth holdings of New Shiron (which will likely be the first bone of contention)

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 am

So, can we have an ETA on the OP?

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 am

New Hayesalia wrote:So, can we have an ETA on the OP?

It should be up within the next couple of days. I'd say it's 66-75% 80-85% done.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valinon
Spokesperson

Capitalizt

Postby Valinon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 am

I will be keeping an eye for the OP link. Apparently the Forum ate my post earlier...an unwelcome blast from the past.
"We do not care where you go, but you cannot stay here."
The Honorable Herr William H. Keith to all 'colonization/relocation/refugee' convoys/missions en route to Alpha Centauri
Her Imperial Majesty's Foreign Ministry, Special Office for Border Control & Forcible Deportation

Fact Book Project | The Lanthe Route & Lee | State of the Galaxy | Interstellar Trade Cooperative

Pantheon of Useful NSFT Links
FT Advice & Assistance Thread | Helpful FT Links| The Local Cluster | NS Future Tech (NSFT) Discord Server

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 am

Valinon wrote:I will be keeping an eye for the OP link. Apparently the Forum ate my post earlier...an unwelcome blast from the past.

Coming up with a good name is the obstacle at this point. Hopefully I'll get the OP finished today.

Butmanlands
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Butmanlands » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Butmanlands wrote:Assuming I am allowed and because we or on this topic I hope to have a solar system close to this one called X-31 or Panther. It has 3 planets. The planet of Iris, revolving around the star Ross 154 as my home planet. The Planet "Vis" is my second planet and grows all the food and "Sol", the 3rd planet is the military base planet.

If you'd like to be based outside of Sol that's fine, but I find that system setup excessive. I'll give you a homeworld plus a colony + agriculture planet with military assets on various moons/asteroids elsewhere in the system, but three (I'm assuming fully developed) planets is probably out of the question.

I'll be wanting Sol to be the most built-up system in this setting for practical and thematic reasons. That is to say, if you have unilateral control over another system and all the bodies in it, I'm going to insist that its level of general infrastructure (at least anything above and beyond modern standards, on the ground and in orbit etc) be inferior to Sol's. That doesn't mean your fleets can't be as big or your force projection as large as any other nation's, but it does mean I won't be letting people claim like five planets with 20 billion population each and cities, cities everywhere unless maybe it's a diaspora or something.

That true. The pop will be made smaller (11B?) and the agriculture planet would not have as much people as a homeworld. Just saying.
Wonderful Paradise
Salzland wrote:Disclaimer: I am not counting Maxtopia or any of Max Barry's accounts, because obviously the person who pays the bills for this site can do whatever he wants. I suppose, then, that whichever account Max Barry is using would qualify as NationStates' only superpower.
JJ Place wrote:Being killed by the super-laser of a moon-sized Imperial military battlestation does not allow you to look for a new homeworld. It makes you dead.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 am

Butmanlands wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:If you'd like to be based outside of Sol that's fine, but I find that system setup excessive. I'll give you a homeworld plus a colony + agriculture planet with military assets on various moons/asteroids elsewhere in the system, but three (I'm assuming fully developed) planets is probably out of the question.

That true. The pop will be made smaller (11B?) and the agriculture planet would not have as much people as a homeworld. Just saying.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't acknowledge 'billions' if your nation page doesn't reflect that. I know some folks over in II wank up all manner of 'hey I'm FT so I can own multiple galaxies and have infinite number of citizens' but ... no. Just for clarity. Because after a while, that just gets utterly ridiculous. Those of us who've been around for years are already at the utterly ridiculous population point, and have been for some time, but then again we've earned it should we choose to utilize it. Not all do, due to the ridiculous factor. Anyways, just a point.

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah, I'm seconding Nathi on this. I wont recognize anyone who's needlessly inflating their figures just to try and "fit in" any manner of smaller nations get involved in the affairs or other, larger, or more powerfully equipped ones.

Just look at Estonia and it's task force in Afghanistan, after all.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

The Lords of War
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lords of War » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

Yeah, it is kind of sad really that a two + billion pop nation needs to feel it has to triple it size for an Rp. :(

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 am

I would just like to confirm, Melkor I TG you my characters and opening post. I would like some confirmation if you got them or not. Sorry, I just haven't heard anything back, don't want to be a bother.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Butmanland
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Butmanland » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Butmanlands wrote:That true. The pop will be made smaller (11B?) and the agriculture planet would not have as much people as a homeworld. Just saying.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't acknowledge 'billions' if your nation page doesn't reflect that. I know some folks over in II wank up all manner of 'hey I'm FT so I can own multiple galaxies and have infinite number of citizens' but ... no. Just for clarity. Because after a while, that just gets utterly ridiculous. Those of us who've been around for years are already at the utterly ridiculous population point, and have been for some time, but then again we've earned it should we choose to utilize it. Not all do, due to the ridiculous factor. Anyways, just a point.

Fine, but in RL the earth has 7 Billion people. Very well then, 2 something billion it is. But I still have spaceships Image

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 am

Butmanland wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't acknowledge 'billions' if your nation page doesn't reflect that. I know some folks over in II wank up all manner of 'hey I'm FT so I can own multiple galaxies and have infinite number of citizens' but ... no. Just for clarity. Because after a while, that just gets utterly ridiculous. Those of us who've been around for years are already at the utterly ridiculous population point, and have been for some time, but then again we've earned it should we choose to utilize it. Not all do, due to the ridiculous factor. Anyways, just a point.

Fine, but in RL the earth has 7 Billion people. Very well then, 2 something billion it is. But I still have spaceships Image

Yeah. And in 'real life' the earth is not made up of one nation. And in 'real life', logistics on the level we all claim to manage would be ridiculously impossible. And in 'real life' the percentages claimed by most players here for their military are unsupportable.

So much for the 'real life' comparison in a game that is so not designed to replicate 'real life' on any meaningful level.

I don't care what tech level people claim, but whipping up unsupported stats outside the game has, in my circle of rp'ers, been considered poor form overall.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 am

I don't have any immediate intention of stressing things like population, raw military capacity and the like. If a nation's exact population becomes important in the story for whatever reason, I'll deal with it when it becomes an issue, but in the general sense I want the players to regard their military/populations as less spreadsheet assets (I'm lookin' at you Nathi ) and more as plot devices.

In general, I will be calling losses anyway as the GM, and it will be the players' responsibility to react to them. So what a player claims population or military-wise relative to these losses will only become relevant when I judge a nation is close to 'elimination,' and I plan on crossing those bridges when we get to them. There probably aren't very many situations where I will come to a player (for IC reasons/considerations) and say "you're out, you can't post anymore," but if people want to minimize their losses, they should think carefully about how they maneuver and how Arda/Morgoth/other PCs might respond. ;)

SO basically what I'm saying here is I don't want to get too caught up with strict mechanical details unless they become specifically relevant. There will be some battles obviously, but I want to focus more on the characters and how they respond to mind-blowing shit going on all around them! :twisted:

Also, OP will come up very soon. I totally promise. I just have to sort and index all the crap and get my ToC started, pick a good name, and we'll get rolling.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butmanlands
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Butmanlands » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 am

Cool. And I don't think that my nation will be relevent, just my char. They won't launch a rescue op.
EDIT- Name suggestion- Lord of the rings Reloaded.
Last edited by Butmanlands on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderful Paradise

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 am

I'm personally wondering why you felt the need to boost your population in the first place Butman. You're nearly 3bn after all.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Midlonia wrote:I'm personally wondering why you felt the need to boost your population in the first place Butman. You're nearly 3bn after all.

Yeah, running around with a bunch of 10 to 17 billion nations. You realize how large the last of the first generation nations have gotten?
If you haven't seen a sky furnace...
You're young...
Member: Federated Klatchian Coast
Observer Status in LDO

Treznor
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Treznor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Even those of us who went on hiatus for a while. There is no way the Empire of Treznor has fourteen billion citizens, even with its super-extra-seekrit extrasolar colony. Effectively, my Empire's population should be a moot point unless the demigod Melkor decides to seek some twisted vengeance. At which point this becomes extremely complicated as a half dozen mutual defense treaties are invoked.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates