NATION

PASSWORD

Passage of Time.

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Tessen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Passage of Time.

Postby Tessen » Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 am

I'm coming back to NS as a result of the impending doom or NS2. So, as I'm resuming my long-time nation here. I have a question to aid me in my return, however....

What is the general concensus as far as the in-game passage of time here in NS? What does one real life day equal in game terms? I do a lot of statistical data with my nation, so this would be a helpful tidbit of information.

Thanks!

-Tessen

Director of the American Union and American Independent States roleplay regions.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: Passage of Time.

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 am

There isn't a general consensus.Some people say 1 day = 1 day, in NS just as in RL, but then opinions vary all of the way up to (from some 'Future-Tech' roleplayers) 1 RL day = 1 NS year.

The NS Olympic Games get held about once per RL year, which could be seen as suggesting a 4:1 ratio, but then the NS [Soccer] World Cup gets held about five or six times per RL year which would suggest a ratio closer to 24:1 instead... and yet many of the same nations are involved in both of those events...

And then, of course, there's the speed with which new nations' populations increase...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jeuna
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeuna » Thu May 21, 2009 11:47 pm

I do 1:1 time, but I'm a rarity. Most people do "fluid time" which means whatever people want it to mean (usually it goes to 1:1 during wars and 1 day = 1 month between wars).
In memoriam; unjustly deleted: Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, North Point, Franberry, Sharfghotten, Rosbaningrad, Tyrandis
Do not trust in oppression, nor vainly hope in robbery. Ps 62:10
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device. - David Langford
Factbook | Diplomacy
BUT THIS IS NS

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Fri May 22, 2009 1:51 am

In all honesty, there is no set scale of time for me. I go from one roleplay to the next. For it to make sense, the current roleplay has to start after the last one and end before the next one begins. Other than that, it's all just guesswork.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 am

Time is fluid, so usually you can do with it whatever you want to.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 am

Oh, and of course RPs that involve IC conversations can take weeks of RL time to get through a single NS day...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri May 22, 2009 5:14 am

I have to agree with a lot of what's been said here - it is what you want it to be, and the passage of other people's timelines need not affect yours. Its your nation, play it how, and when, and how quickly as you'd like. Its all about the fun after all, neh?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates