NATION

PASSWORD

Love is Wyrd (IC) (Open) (Courting)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Friid Anvil-Hater pounded her fist on the desk, tears streaming down her face and snot hanging precariously from her reddened nose. Her body shuttered and shook and her skin was pale as though drained of blood. "He's out there, lost and afraid and YOU CAN'T SPARE ONE RIDER TO HELP ME LOOK FOR HIM! WhAT IF HE GETS EATEN BY A...A..." the girls voice broke and she held her arm up to her eyes to wipe away a fresh stream of tears. SNORT The girl rubbed her nose and her lip began to quiver but the Inn-keep shook her head and waved her hands as though to explain. "No! Don't you dare tell me to go to the Chieftain and his men-I already did and they wanted to wait until after the festival. If he's out there we need to find him NOW!" The Inn-Keep rested her hands on her hips and shook her head. "Why do you think I'd be willing to send my stable hand if the Chieftain won't even send his warriors - if it's too dangerous for a berserker then it's too dangerous for my folks. Now either buy something or get out of my Inn, there are customers arriving." The Inn-Keep gestured towards the door and changed expressions from one of displeasure to a natural service smile.

A few folks began to make their way into the famous Froststag Inn, none of them locals. Three big men with cut jaws, rippling muscles and sharp eyes all made their way to the Inn-Keep with the center gaston-looking fellow dropping a gold Imperial Coin onto the table. "One room for three please" the man flexed stereotypically as thought to emphasize his own rippling six pack, even though he was wearing a shirt. The Inn-Keep looked stunned but scooped the coin up and dropped a decorative key on the table. "P-please, take one of our most expensive suites. Room A1 at the top of the stairs. S-should I send a girl by?" The men laughed and shook their head, then snatched the key and made their way towards their room. They glanced cursorarily at Friid and and chuckled as they passed - a sinking feeling filled Friid as she pictured her little brothers shivering away in some ice cave outside the village. "Oh no...what am I going to do." She seemed to visibly slump.

Unbeknownst to Friid a certain patron had entered the Inn just before the macho men. This patron was not a hero, she was neither strong nor fast nor fresh from the fight; still she looked to be someone unafraid of danger, at least that's what Friid thought as the patron came into view. She couldn't have been older than eighteen and has short blonde hair; something about her seemed to strike a cord in Friid. Sure she wasn't the expected hero, but she was Friid's last chance to save her brother. Friid turned from the bar and opened her mouth to speak but then stopped short - who was she kidding, this girl wouldn't be willing to help her. Her brother was doomed. Friid bent her head down against the counter and began to sob, causing the Inn-Keep to sigh and pour a drink. "Don't mind her, her brother got lost in a snowstorm; AND I'M SURE HE'S FINE." She turned her head to speak scoldingly to Friid for her anxiety. "Here, on the house. Are you looking to get a room?" The Inn-Keep slid a glass of Akafemiðr to Quinn Fiacais.

The rooms were naturally spacious and accommodating since they had historically hosted Royalty. Inside were modern showers (probably the only ones in the entire valley), 24/7 room service including a free "massage therapist" available at all hours, freshly cleaned silk linens with air conditioning and heating. The walls were even thick enough to muffle sound so one didn't need to worry about eavesdropping.

"Forget all of that noise" a man said, taking a seat at the bar and looking daringly at Quinn. "How about a game instead?" The man revealed three small sacks of dice in his hand. "Ever played Liars Dice? Rules are simple - roll and hide your dice. We take bets on the number of any die rolled across the three of us-" The Inn-Keep looked confused "three of us?" The man nodded "you'll play too sweet-cheeks. Anyways, when you make a bet you increase either the number of dice or the number on the dice, one's are wild, if you think someone is lying you call them out and we all reveal our hands. If the person was lying, they lose, if the person wasn't then the accuser loses."

The man let a beat pass then continued. "If you lose, you take a drink of this." The man pulled out a flask and emptied it into a silver chalice - it reeked of strong alcohol. "If she loses, she drinks." The man looked to the bar keep to assert the odds. "If I lose, I'll tell you a secret and give her a Silver Imperial Coin." The man smiled wickedly and promised "Trust me, you'll want to hear my secrets." Friid looked across to where the man had laid out the odds, then to Quinn, her mouth agape and her face a mix of fear and panic, as though her brother were already dead.

Luliya looked down at her watch. 1700. The day was going by fast and all she had so far were pictures of the suitors presenting themselves to the King - nothing of note had happened, nothing really worth taking a picture of. An idea sprung to mind and Luliya leaned against one of the tall pine trees; adjusting the camera's settings let her alter the color balance and apply filters among a multitude of other features. Luliya aimed at a distant squirrel many times magnified by the camera lens. She flicked a few buttons on the display and voila! The squirrel now had a funny black mustash quivering on it's wittle rodent lip. Luliya took the photo and made a mental note to download it to her personal computer before she deleted it. There was a sharp breeze and the squirrel ran off, leaving Luliya once again free.

Luliya scrolled back through the photos on her camera. Boring. Boring. Uber-boring. Hey that's a cute puffin! Luliya settled on the picture of the Princess Helena's gift, a crate full of wonderful gifts - incredibly expensive and lucrative gifts. A single gold Imperial Coin could feed a family for six months if they were frugal, there had to be hundreds if not thousands of gold coins value sitting in that easily accessible, liftable chest. Evil thoughts of thievery began to formulate in Luliya's mind, following by images of what TFF typically did to thieves who stole from The Royal Family. It wasn't a pretty picture, even if it was a picture that was shown to all new staff upon entry; evidently it did it's job. The great thing about pictures was that you only had to torture a man to death once - no need to repeat the process in order to gain easy fear among your subjects.

Luliya glanced at pictures of His Majesty that she had taken on her camera. They'd been assigned to a different gallery on the chip (the beauty of modern technology), containing everything from awkward angles to scrunched facial expressions to just plainly unflattering photos. Luliya had done her due diligence to do the same in regards to the King's suitors but luck wouldn't have it, except for a near shot of a certain suitor's exposed bussom, which was actually just a camera trick that Luliya had picked up in photography classes back home. In other words she had no negative pictures of any of the suitors that would stand up to scrutiny, which was just poor work on her part. Luliya sighed and aimed her camera towards the village; in case God decided to take pity on her and cause one of the suitors to have a sudden wardrobe malfunction.

Minutes Earlier

A dead stillness fell over the court as a suitor approached the throne. The once calm air began to stir and then began to howl viciously, a fierce tempest of a a squall cascading over those present. The faces of the handmaids and ladies-in-waiting drained of color; their lips began to quiver and their eyes went wide. The nobility settled back on their heels, crossed their arms or turned their heads down to assess. Father Valdemar's saggy jaw upturned into a wicked smile; his young boy-servant hid himself behind the aged bishop and began to mumble prayers to his God, reciting the lords prayer in Latin, English and Frozen Forestrian. Electricity spread through the crowd and the villagers (who had never once heard of the suitor) stiffened up, their hair on end. The hunters first reflex was to grab a spear or a net, fore whatever or whoever they were looking at offered the same uneasy feeling that one only felt went deep in the wilderness where wild predators stalked.

"Make way for The Wolf Queen!" A young teenage noble called out, fear evident in his eyes. Folks stepped back several paces to give Chieftess Sartana Ninakatari a wide berth as she made her way towards the platform upon which sat the Royal Family. Crown Prince Ari couldn't help but lean forwards, his eyes glittering with curiosity. On the King's other side was Lady Sigrid, whose initial grimace twisted into a forced smile so unlike her, unease began to knot in the young ladies gut. She hadn't closely interacted with Chieftess Sartana during the ball, but she'd heard the stories and the rumors that had abounded since; a giant with a fierce temper, who assaulted several young ladies in waiting and established herself as their premiere leader, all in one nights work. Sigrid didn't know why Sartana made her feel uneasy, even putting the rumors aside there was something threatening about her; it was as though Sigrid could sense her own neck on the line if this Wolf Queen gained real power.

Ivan watched and listened as a pall fell over not just his court but the villagers as well; followed by an immense gale wind. If Ivan were more superstitious he may have considered it a sign one way or another from God. Ivan watched as a servant stepped forwards to take Sartana's war horse and she removed what looked to be a well decorated pot from her pack. At a distance it was colored with wonderful shades of blue and green and as Sartana came closer Ivan could make out the details on the pot; it was a depiction of the Norotunga Valley, at least the more picturesque parts of it; decorated alongside it were key moments in the history of the Valley, including the former King's who had fallen in love among the shade of it's pines. A second servant stepped forwards to collect the pot and as the gift left Sartana's hands she curtsied.

"The so called Wolf Queen returns to stir the pot..." The voice came from the Crown Prince, who sat straighter than before; more regal. "Silence brother." Ivan cleared his throat with a cough and then stood. Flashes of memory flitted through Ivan's mind; a dance, a near kiss and a poorly placed argument. It had been a pleasant time, though Sartana had put him in a difficult spot. Her reputation at court apparently hadn't been affected though, perhaps even enhanced. Ivan wasn't a fool; he'd heard and watched the rumors develop, it was almost surreal to see Sartana here in Norotunga, in the flesh. A giant of a woman and one that put a knot in the King's stomach.

"Chieftess Sartana, its an honor to welcome to you Norotunga Valley. It's been some time...I believe you remember my brother, the Crown Prince" Ivan gestured to Ari, "..and lady Sigrid, my goddaughter." Ari rose his chin high and proud and Sigrid wore her forced smile like a mask. "That's a beautiful pot, thank you..." Ivan lingered as though there was more to be said. "You look well..." Sigrid turned her head to see Ivan clearly, what was wrong with him? Why did he seem so indecisive?

*** PRESENT TIME ***

The platform had been disassembled and Ivan was waylaid by one of his female retainers almost immediately; the young woman started into her troubles, describing at length that she had not been given the proper room at the inn and suggesting that he command the Chief to talk to the innkeeper and sort the mess out. It was always those from the wealthiest or most powerful families that seemed to have the courage to make outrageous demands, and it was taxing. Fortunately one of the suitors appeared to save the day: none other than Gwendolyn, coming forth to admit that she had lied to him. "Please excuse me" Ivan ended his conversation with the young noble-ess and turned towards Gwendolyn as she began to explain. Ivan did his best to ignore the adorable Gimbus sitting in Gwendolyn's arms.

There was a gasp from nearby eavesdropping court ladies, their faces turning a rosy shade of red. They giggled and whispered among themselves "that's so romantic - Is the King embarrassed? - If I had a golden string, I'd tie it somewhere other than his finger Ivan shot the courtiers a look and they gaped, turning away and giggling like hyena's. Ivan cleared his throat and smiled at Gwendolyn "I'm afraid I don't have any golden twine of my own...If that time comes I hope you'll let allow me to borrow some of yours." Ivan turned his head towards the gifts that had been brought as they were rapidly taken from where they'd been initially set towards the King's quarters in the Chieftain's Hall. Among the servants working to port the gifts stood none other than Ivan's goddaughter Sigrid, pan of iced buns in hand - she was shameless.

Sigrid's face was a burning red and her face displayed nothing but total bliss. Ivan could have sworn that he saw a tear rolling down the young girls face as she scarfed down another pastry; that told him everything he needed to know (other than reminding him that his goddaughter was drawn to sweet things like a fly to a bugzapper). "It looks like Sigrid beat me to it. She usually only makes that face when she's having lemon tarts, and never so intense." The poem had evidently already been moved from the pile to his quarters, he would have to read it later. "Poetry comes from the heart, I wouldn't think to read it to anyone else."

Gwendolyn eyes found Ivan's and he felt them melt into him. Ivan held her gaze and his chest felt light; after several long seconds he turned. "We have about three hours before sunset, would you care to walk with me?"

As the presentation of the suitors ended Ari was surrounded by his own retinue; one which had steadily grown since the ball months prior until it was almost half as large as Ivan's. The guards, the servants, the skalds, the poets, the heralds, the handmaids and of course the spies all had their individual problems, all of which looking to Ari for solutions. "Yes, yes, no - arrange for gold to be sent to their chambers immediately, I want a report on the food situation as soon as possible." Ari issued his commands and tried to move on but was stopped by his guard captain who held aloft something wrapped in rags and stained a dark crimson. Ari froze in his tracks and stared down at the item, his face going blank as he collected himself. "My liege, we found this outside of your chambers just a few minutes ago. It would seem that someone doesn't want us here" The guard captain came close to hide the item from the nosy court, then began to unfold the cloth to reveal a severed chicken head with it's eyes gouged out. Ari's mind went to work at once - the symbolism of a chicken was clearly intended to imply his cowardice but the eyes being gouged out, that was something that Ari found very curious.

The Frozen Forest didn't have a tradition of eye gouging and neither did the locals. Ari looked around at the dispersing suitors: most wouldn't have had the balls or means to get something like this to his chamber unseen, that is except for two individuals; that being Chieftess Sartana Ninakatari and Basilopoúla Helena Palaiologina. Chieftess Sartana wasn't likely, Ari knew that she had the temperament but he couldn't see how she could have had the means, as she'd arrived alone and was considerably poor. That left Helena, who else could it have been? The shoe seemed to fit, especially in light of the fact that Rhomania had a historic tradition of gouging out the eyes of traitors (which Helena no doubt saw Ari as, even though Ari was only trying to steer the ship of the nation away from disaster before it was too late).

Now was as good a time as any to pay the Princess a visit. "Dispose of this...gift discretely and search my room for bugs. Remove any food and drink you find, scrub the entire room down and make sure the doors and windows haven't been tampered with." Ari reached into a coin purse and removed three Gold Imperial Coins. "Use these for bribes, the locals know how valuable they are; see if you can find out who has been skulking about near my quarters." Ari passed the coins along and then made his way away from his retinue and his guards, traveling with eyes locked on one target in particular: that being none other than Helena.

Two of the Crown Prince's guards broke off from the retinue and followed close behind Ari as he made his approach. Fury welled in the Crown Prince's chest, she'd not been in the country for more than 24 hours and she had already threatened to assassinate him: exactly what one should expect from someone from the so called Queen of Cities. Ari was no stranger to byzantine politics but it was a rare thing to be so direct in a threat, especially to someone of his position and status: that meant Helena felt emboldened, unchallenged. Ari would put a stop to th-.... Ari stopped dead in his tracks, causing his guards to nearly slam into him from behind. "My liege, are you alright?" The one guard touched the Crown Prince's shoulder and when that didn't elicit a response came around to face his lord.

thump thump thump thump thump Ari felt his heart begin to race, he gulped and planted his feet firmly. The Crown Prince's body reacted viciously, assailing him with chills and lightheartedness, his breath caught in his throat and an uneasiness spread across his bones. Fight or flight kicked in and Ari deigned to freeze, his usual calculating self overtaken by the flood of emotions and feelings that burst from the heart and mind. The generals hadn't broke him, the economists hadn't broken him and neither had his brother broken him - but at that moment something felt horribly wrong, something felt like it had broken. His vision began to sway and there was a ringing in his ears, his mind flooded with sensory overload Have I been poisoned? Ari tried to take a deep breath but couldn't and panic began to set in.

"My liege are you alright?" Ari snapped back, his gaze settled on Rhomania's representative royal. The chills remained, the racing heart remained, the dizziness remained and Ari's mind was clouded. Blue eyes, black hair and danger stood before him; a foreign viper had sunk it's teeth into him without even glancing his way and the air around her seemed to sparkle as though dazzled. At a distance she was nothing but a threat, and close up she was still a threat; though the dynamic was different-this greek had gone from amazon to medusa, her gaze paralyzing the mind and soul. Ari bit his cheek hard enough to draw a little blood and then approached.

"Presenting His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Ari of The Frozen Forest." Ari's guard stepped back and Ari bowed once, ever so slightly. "Basilopoúla Helena, I see that the rumors of your beauty were more than just that, as the sun shimmers, one shouldn't gaze too long." Confusion spread over the guards faces, they were there to confront the Basilopoúla, not flatter her. Ari's eyes passed from the Basilopoúla to Anna. Ari smiled genuinely at the young woman, even if she had given the family sword to Ivan she was still clearly a Bjork despite centuries of Rhomanian blood being mixed in, that was besides the fact that Ari detected no true politics on her part, she was merely a tool for Helena afterall. "I must say it's no less of an honor to welcome distant kin to our gracious country. I hope that in time Anna, that you and I may become friends."

Katla nodded and wasted no time in turning on her heel to head back home. "The pleasure is all mine. Unfortunately my good for nothing husband overslept, otherwise he'd be here to greet you now. With any luck he'll be awake once we get back to the farm, come along it's only a short walk to the edge of the village." Katla trudged on through the snow, which grew steadily deeper the further from the village center that the pair went. After a certain distance had been crossed Katla disappeared behind one of her neighbors sheds and then reappeared carrying two pairs of wooden snowshoes. Without a word the gatherer tossed one pair to the Ethiopian princess and set to work attaching the other to her feet. Katla tested the shoes with a tenative step forwards and no surprise, her weigh held. "Alright! Let's get going, we only have a few hours before sunset and the start of the festival. We ought to get you something to proper to wear, 'else-wise you'll be freezing like those other foreigners come dark.

Woof Woof! A dog came barreling down the path and through the snow towards Katla and Akosua. The dog pounced and leaped high into the air, hitting Katla head on and causing her to fall back into the snow. The hound growled something fierce and then began to lick Katla's face, causing the woman to giggle and laugh. "Down mutt! Down!" she yelled out in her native, Forestrian Norse tongue. The dog huffed and whined as Katla rose back to her feet. Katla reached into her parka and retrieved a big white bone and the dog's face lit up, it's tail bashing about furiously. "Get it Rikki!" Katla flung the bone as hard as she could towards the house and then began to run through the snow. "Come Akosua, before he has time to get back!" With their farmstead in sight, Katla raced as fast as her legs could carry her through the snow, sweat building up in her parka as she went but it was to no avail as her loyal pooch returned and moved into tackling position - only instead of targeting Katla the dog went for Akosua, leaping through the air at the Ethiopian woman.

"Arrun? Arrun are you listening to me?" Arrun's sister sat on a red leather couch across from him with eyes full of concern. "What's wrong with you? You've been acting funny since you got back from that ball in the capital - what did they do to you?" Arrun looked at his sister and opened his mouth to speak but words refused to come. His sister reached out and touched his hand and Arrun turned away; how could she possibly understand what had happened to him? It was like being struck by lightning and living to tell the tale, she couldn't possibly understand. "I met a woman...and now I can't get her out of my head." Arrun finally mustered, causing his sister to gasp. "So that's it, you went off and fell in love..."

The various young village girls ran about the square with bundles of flowers to sell. Each bundle contained about 10 flowers, ranging from bright white to shimmering yellow to warm red - all freshly picked. As the folks of the village began to disperse to their various tasks and the suitors to their lodgings or any other thing that might fancy them, Arrun was in place buying flowers. It started with just one little girl, but when the rest saw that Arrun was consistently buying they all diverted like flies to swarm him, pushing forwards handfuls of colorful petals and receiving a single Imperial Dollar each before turning on their heels to run back and pick more. After about ten minutes Arrun had spent around forty Imperial Dollars and held a massive bouquet of valley blossoms. Somehow, someway the girls kept coming with more and more flowers and Arrun was struggling to carry more, so instead to said to the girls "make me a flower dress and I'll give you fifty dollars." While Arrun didn't actually think the girls capable, they giggled and set to work, even drawing in some of the teenage girls to help.

Arrun seized his moment to escape. With hundreds if not thousands of flowers in hand he drifted into the impromptu marketplace where vendors had begun to stock everything from primitive jewelry to native sweets to cooked meat and vegetables, even some pieces of clothing were being brought out. Arrun hadn't been able to see where he was going past his massive treasure trove until he finally bumped into someone by mistake. The Count shifted the flowers in his hand just enough to see past. Pink hair, exotic ears and sharp eyes looked back at him. Ba-bump! Arrun's heart thudded in his chest. Red painted his cheeks and goosebumps spread across his body. The count gulped as a grin broke through the surface. Realizing his well-bred manners Arrun dropped to his knee, catching a face full of daffodils. "My apologizes Princess Mari" thump thump thump Arrun rose to his feet, his vision blurred slightly as he looked at the goddess before him.

"These are for you my lady." Arrun held the flowers aloft, his eyes falling over Princess Mari, going from her ears to her eyes, to her lips to her... Arrun caught himself and turned away, his cheeks glowing. Embarassment washed over him and panic flittered into his heart; it screamed RUN, but for some reason Arrun couldn't tell his feet to move even if he wanted to - he was firmly rooted and there was nothing he wanted to do less than withdraw with his tail tucked between his legs. "Mistuh, we're done with that dre- woah!" At least a dozen children scampered up to Arrun and Mari with an impressively crafted dress made entirely of flowers held high over their heads. "Your woman is reaaal pretty mistuh." Arrun was stunned and his jaw fell slightly.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

The Selkie
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Selkie » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:53 am

The Frozen Forest wrote:
([url=https://i.imgur.com/bNCwrqS.png]Image)[/url]

Friid Anvil-Hater pounded her fist on the desk, tears streaming down her face and snot hanging precariously from her reddened nose. Her body shuttered and shook and her skin was pale as though drained of blood. "He's out there, lost and afraid and YOU CAN'T SPARE ONE RIDER TO HELP ME LOOK FOR HIM! WhAT IF HE GETS EATEN BY A...A..." the girls voice broke and she held her arm up to her eyes to wipe away a fresh stream of tears. SNORT The girl rubbed her nose and her lip began to quiver but the Inn-keep shook her head and waved her hands as though to explain. "No! Don't you dare tell me to go to the Chieftain and his men-I already did and they wanted to wait until after the festival. If he's out there we need to find him NOW!" The Inn-Keep rested her hands on her hips and shook her head. "Why do you think I'd be willing to send my stable hand if the Chieftain won't even send his warriors - if it's too dangerous for a berserker then it's too dangerous for my folks. Now either buy something or get out of my Inn, there are customers arriving." The Inn-Keep gestured towards the door and changed expressions from one of displeasure to a natural service smile.

A few folks began to make their way into the famous Froststag Inn, none of them locals. Three big men with cut jaws, rippling muscles and sharp eyes all made their way to the Inn-Keep with the center gaston-looking fellow dropping a gold Imperial Coin onto the table. "One room for three please" the man flexed stereotypically as thought to emphasize his own rippling six pack, even though he was wearing a shirt. The Inn-Keep looked stunned but scooped the coin up and dropped a decorative key on the table. "P-please, take one of our most expensive suites. Room A1 at the top of the stairs. S-should I send a girl by?" The men laughed and shook their head, then snatched the key and made their way towards their room. They glanced cursorarily at Friid and and chuckled as they passed - a sinking feeling filled Friid as she pictured her little brothers shivering away in some ice cave outside the village. "Oh no...what am I going to do." She seemed to visibly slump.

Unbeknownst to Friid a certain patron had entered the Inn just before the macho men. This patron was not a hero, she was neither strong nor fast nor fresh from the fight; still she looked to be someone unafraid of danger, at least that's what Friid thought as the patron came into view. She couldn't have been older than eighteen and has short blonde hair; something about her seemed to strike a cord in Friid. Sure she wasn't the expected hero, but she was Friid's last chance to save her brother. Friid turned from the bar and opened her mouth to speak but then stopped short - who was she kidding, this girl wouldn't be willing to help her. Her brother was doomed. Friid bent her head down against the counter and began to sob, causing the Inn-Keep to sigh and pour a drink. "Don't mind her, her brother got lost in a snowstorm; AND I'M SURE HE'S FINE." She turned her head to speak scoldingly to Friid for her anxiety. "Here, on the house. Are you looking to get a room?" The Inn-Keep slid a glass of Akafemiðr to Quinn Fiacais.

The rooms were naturally spacious and accommodating since they had historically hosted Royalty. Inside were modern showers (probably the only ones in the entire valley), 24/7 room service including a free "massage therapist" available at all hours, freshly cleaned silk linens with air conditioning and heating. The walls were even thick enough to muffle sound so one didn't need to worry about eavesdropping.

"Forget all of that noise" a man said, taking a seat at the bar and looking daringly at Quinn. "How about a game instead?" The man revealed three small sacks of dice in his hand. "Ever played Liars Dice? Rules are simple - roll and hide your dice. We take bets on the number of any die rolled across the three of us-" The Inn-Keep looked confused "three of us?" The man nodded "you'll play too sweet-cheeks. Anyways, when you make a bet you increase either the number of dice or the number on the dice, one's are wild, if you think someone is lying you call them out and we all reveal our hands. If the person was lying, they lose, if the person wasn't then the accuser loses."

The man let a beat pass then continued. "If you lose, you take a drink of this." The man pulled out a flask and emptied it into a silver chalice - it reeked of strong alcohol. "If she loses, she drinks." The man looked to the bar keep to assert the odds. "If I lose, I'll tell you a secret and give her a Silver Imperial Coin." The man smiled wickedly and promised "Trust me, you'll want to hear my secrets." Friid looked across to where the man had laid out the odds, then to Quinn, her mouth agape and her face a mix of fear and panic, as though her brother were already dead.

[...]

(Image)

"Arrun? Arrun are you listening to me?" Arrun's sister sat on a red leather couch across from him with eyes full of concern. "What's wrong with you? You've been acting funny since you got back from that ball in the capital - what did they do to you?" Arrun looked at his sister and opened his mouth to speak but words refused to come. His sister reached out and touched his hand and Arrun turned away; how could she possibly understand what had happened to him? It was like being struck by lightning and living to tell the tale, she couldn't possibly understand. "I met a woman...and now I can't get her out of my head." Arrun finally mustered, causing his sister to gasp. "So that's it, you went off and fell in love..."

The various young village girls ran about the square with bundles of flowers to sell. Each bundle contained about 10 flowers, ranging from bright white to shimmering yellow to warm red - all freshly picked. As the folks of the village began to disperse to their various tasks and the suitors to their lodgings or any other thing that might fancy them, Arrun was in place buying flowers. It started with just one little girl, but when the rest saw that Arrun was consistently buying they all diverted like flies to swarm him, pushing forwards handfuls of colorful petals and receiving a single Imperial Dollar each before turning on their heels to run back and pick more. After about ten minutes Arrun had spent around forty Imperial Dollars and held a massive bouquet of valley blossoms. Somehow, someway the girls kept coming with more and more flowers and Arrun was struggling to carry more, so instead to said to the girls "make me a flower dress and I'll give you fifty dollars." While Arrun didn't actually think the girls capable, they giggled and set to work, even drawing in some of the teenage girls to help.

Arrun seized his moment to escape. With hundreds if not thousands of flowers in hand he drifted into the impromptu marketplace where vendors had begun to stock everything from primitive jewelry to native sweets to cooked meat and vegetables, even some pieces of clothing were being brought out. Arrun hadn't been able to see where he was going past his massive treasure trove until he finally bumped into someone by mistake. The Count shifted the flowers in his hand just enough to see past. Pink hair, exotic ears and sharp eyes looked back at him. Ba-bump! Arrun's heart thudded in his chest. Red painted his cheeks and goosebumps spread across his body. The count gulped as a grin broke through the surface. Realizing his well-bred manners Arrun dropped to his knee, catching a face full of daffodils. "My apologizes Princess Mari" thump thump thump Arrun rose to his feet, his vision blurred slightly as he looked at the goddess before him.

"These are for you my lady." Arrun held the flowers aloft, his eyes falling over Princess Mari, going from her ears to her eyes, to her lips to her... Arrun caught himself and turned away, his cheeks glowing. Embarassment washed over him and panic flittered into his heart; it screamed RUN, but for some reason Arrun couldn't tell his feet to move even if he wanted to - he was firmly rooted and there was nothing he wanted to do less than withdraw with his tail tucked between his legs. "Mistuh, we're done with that dre- woah!" At least a dozen children scampered up to Arrun and Mari with an impressively crafted dress made entirely of flowers held high over their heads. "Your woman is reaaal pretty mistuh." Arrun was stunned and his jaw fell slightly.

Quinn Fiacais of the Tribe of Wicklow.
The first person my eyes saw when I entered was the innkeeper, a woman of slightly darkened skin in a dress, which knew, how to emphasize - who was I kidding, I knew that sort of dress well enough. Under my cloak, I was wearing one, after all.
The next thing catching my eye was the sobbing young woman, barely not a girl anymore.
The innkeep poured me a drink as she explained, that her brother got lost in a snowstorm. Why the fuck was she gifting me a drink? Where were the search parties? Where...?
Why, by Rhiannon's tits, was that girl here and...?
Right. Forestian. Not Selkie. No Younger Militia, no cow herders nearby, no cra-cra Middle Schoolers with old tanks driving around for sport, willing to stop for a bit to help with something very, very important. And with the King of this land receiving guests, high ranking ones at that, and the security situation of said King... it looked like she was out of luck.
I wondered for but a moment, how to break it to the woman behind the counter, that she should have one of her massage therapists (someone offering Additional Services, I was reasonably sure) take the saddle bags with my lugguage to my room, when another patron offered me a dice game, Liar's Dice.
The girl had stopped sobbing, looking at me with wide, teary eyes and...
...I turned to the innkeeper.
"Please tell one of your porters to bring my saddle bags into my room. I'll drop them in a moment.", I said and then turned to the girl. From my utility belt under my cloak (a short glimpse of the Geansai I wore underneath included), I took a piece of cloth, a tissue, holding it out to her. "Here, searrach. Get yourself cleaned up, I'll be back in a moment."
Next stop, he dice player.
Taking the chalice, it reeked of strong alcohol, I told him: "I have a better idea, pal." I downed the chalice in one go, shaking my head as I bumped it down onto the table. Cow herder girl, remember? I drank stronger things before I turned fifteen. What got me was the flavour. That one would be amusing to my fellow herders. "You get off your arse and help me help that girl." I pointed towards Friid, who's name I did not yet know. "If you won't, I'll tell your King, that I have more then enough reasons to doubt the manliness of his subjects... and of himself."
Without waiting for a reply, I turned and walked back to Friid, a far softer expression on my face as I approached her.
That might have been a bit much, I'll admit, but I was Selkie and I was, at heart, a cow herder or, as Nayeli once called me, a vacara, a Brucallan term for a cow herder. For either of the three, there was nothing more natural, nothing more obvious, nothing more logical, then to help someone in need, if one was able to.
Twice so, if there were lost children involved.
And in a patriarchal society, where manliness was prized, appealing to the manliness of a man was always a good idea to get them into gear... or to bring them up against oneself. It could horribly backfire, I knew, but I did not care.
Throwing a gold coin, Selkie, but still quite valuable, to the inn keeper as a way of apologizing for robbing her of the chance to win a silver coin, I made my way over.
"Alright, searrach.", I said and smiled softly at her, putting a hand on her cheek, softly wiping away a tear with my thumb, "Let's go and find your brother."

Marihime Ingansu.
When he bumped into me, Hisa let it happen without cutting him into filets.
She knew him as well and did not see him as a threat. How could she? He was a nice man and a friend... probably the most dangerous combination back home, but here... most likely, too. Besides, his hands were occupied with flowers.
His face was red and he seemed about to implode as he grinned and apologized for bumping into me with a short bend of his knee, then offered me the countless flowers. They were pretty, fresh and I would love to have some of them in my gardens, but alas... I doubted, that they'd like the warm climate and the tropics of my home. But maybe a second, smaller garden or a greenhouse or...
I did not notice his gaze. Hisa did, but she noted with pleasure, that he caught himself.
"Mistuh, we're done with that dre- woah!" A dozen children, plus a dress made of flowers, approached us, their leader's word pulling me out of my thoughts. "Your woman is reaaal pretty mistuh."
His woman, eh?
"Hisa, would you...?", I asked my retainer in my native tongue as I handed her the flowers with a smile.
"Of course, Marihime.", she said, taking the flowers with dexterous care. I kept one in my hand, a pretty big one.
I turned to Arrun. "Your woman, eh?", I asked him with a playful smile on my lips.
The flowers were pretty, the gesture sweet, the children cute and... I wasn't here to court the King. I was here to watch the whole thing coming down like last time. But... Arrun was a nice man. The kids certainly didn't mean anything by calling me his woman, maybe they didn't know the term girlfriend... what did it matter?
I stepped closer.
Holding the single flower so that the blossom obstructed the view of the lower halves of our faces from the children, I leaned in and up slightly, my lips brushing against his with the gentle tenderness of a feather, the lightest of kisses.
"Thank you for the flowers.", I told him with a soft smile.
Last edited by The Selkie on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I play PT, MT and a bit FT. I am into character-RPs.
My people are called the Selkie, the nation is usually called the Free Lands in MT-settings. Thanks.

Silverport Dockyards Ltd.: Storefront - Catalogue

Aionios Rhomania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aionios Rhomania » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:56 pm

It seemed that as soon as the introduction of suitors had ended the village came into life, no longer confined to the restrictive confines of court decorum. As soon as Ivan and the other royals descended from their platform, it was expertly carried away and into the Chieftains hall, done swiftly and smoothly enough to impress Sophia, if only slightly. With the other suitors and host of other people moving throughout the village, the Athenatoi entered into a more protective formation, keeping their eye on everything and everyone, while Helena and her retinue plotted their next set of actions.

"I think it would be important to speak with Ivan quickly, if only to see how he would like my other gifts to be presented to him." Helena said as she began a casual walk towards the King.

"But shouldn't we check into the inn?" Anna asked, causing Helena to stop and look back at her. "Well I mean, what if the best rooms get taken up by someone else?" She added.

Sophia rolled her eyes and walked before Helena before bowing three times. "My Sebastokratorissa, I would be honored to see to it that you will have logging's worthy of your status."

"That is very kind of you my friend, please take the Magistros with you so that everything will be properly recorded, as well as a guard." Helena responded, turning and waving an older male forward.

The man was fairly old, with a clean shaven face and short hair, he was notable for his official gown, which went to his ankles; the gowns large sleeves went to his wrist, and he wore a cloak which predominantly favored his left side, with a crescent shape at the front exposing the gown below, beneath his collar bone. While this older gentleman may not appear special in any way, the truth of the matter is that his ancestry takes him all the way back to one of histories greatest conquerors, Genghis Khan himself.

"Magistros Isaac, I have need of you, will you please join Sophia and acquire our lodgings?"

"Of course my Kyriatate." The man named Isaac replied, bowing before joining Sophia's side under a guards escort.

Helena turned to face Anna with a small smile, which was returned in kind. "There, our lodgings shall be complete and I didn't have to lift a finger."

"With all due respect my Kyriatate, but I believe you have shown off your power enough for the day."

Helena feigned offense. "Oh you wound me Anna, are you insinuating that am some sort of braggart?"

"Oh no never, I couldn't even begin ti imagine laying such accusations upon you, I was merely offering counsel." Anna softly defended, both holding back a giggle by this point.

"Fairly well, then I find your counsel to be most wise, now let us depart." Helena said with a slight nod.

It was at this time that they noticed the Crown prince arriving, Helena's guards gave off their usual relaxed posture, which was a deception as they were willing to spring in at a moments notice, but their role here was largely ceremonial, they doubted the Crown Prince would be up to anything. Helena however was a bit curious on what the Crown prince wanted with her, if she was cynical she could say he was attempting to court her for himself in some ploy for the throne, or perhaps he was jealous of Ivan's gifts and was seeking to brown nose her. The prince's guard heralded his presence before Helena, and she gave him a small nod as a greeting.

"Basilopoúla Helena, I see that the rumors of your beauty were more than just that, as the sun shimmers, one shouldn't gaze too long."

Ah, so brown nose it is then, Helena has had quite a bit of experience dealing with people kissing up to her, wanting a favor for this or that, seeking support or to be in the families good graces, and after all why wouldn't they suck up to her, being in the good graces of a imperial family member could make for huge leaps in ones life. Of course Helena was used to the experiences of such behavior in daily court life, whether that be from the various lower palace officials, to visiting dignitaries, it was usually the same game every time. Helena didn't quite know what Ari would want out of this situation however, she wasn't the Queen after all (yet) and the Empire didn't have any leverage on the Frozen Forest, perhaps a simple chat with him would reveal his hidden desires.

Helena presented herself with all the purple-blood decorum that would be expected of her; stand straight, hands in front of her waist, and with a refined smile. Anna was less refined, by a long shot, but she still kept up a proper presence before the Crown Prince, who then turned to flatter her. Ari's words clearly cheered Anna up, the girl wasn't experienced with the inner workings of politics whatsoever, and given her desire to connect her family to the Bjorks, she had no intention of denying any perceived goodwill from the Prince. Helena considered that she may need to talk to Anna about this some time in the future, less the poor thing become a tool for others.

"Oh, it's so nice to meet you, your Highness, I appreciate the chance to be here in such a wonderful country, and I really would like to be called your friend." Anna said, barely holding back a blush.

"You flatter us, thank you very much for your kind words, your Royal Highness." Helena responded with a deeper bow of the head. "We were preparing to make your way to pay further respects to your brother the King, but it is a pleasant surprise to have a chance to meet you so early. Please, if I may be so bold, what is it you have on your mind, we'd be honored to speak to you?" She offered him the chance to state, through various hoops and loops of indirect insinuations, what he wanted out of her.

Sophia took to leadership like a duck did to water, making her way to the inn with Isaac and the guard in tow; if one lacked context for the scene they'd think she ran the place, the way we see walked with purpose and authority if nothing else gave way that she was a woman on a mission, even if it was a fairly mundane one, but Roman culture demanded she take this seriously, after all she was serving the will of the Kaisarina! Compared to the steely Sophia, Isaac was much more reserved in how he presented himself, hiding his hands under his gown's sleeves, his gait was what one expected of a practiced palace dignitary. Isaac quickly took the lead to open the door for Sophia before once more falling in behind her, the guard ever silent behind them.

There was some commotion going at where the innkeeper was, a woman was wailing about her lost brother and Sophia was wondering why she was sobbing instead of just being worried; sure she didn't know all the details, but the woman was acting if her brother was already dead, the brat was either hiding out somewhere or if he was lost, then some form of search and rescue would be out to find him. Either way Sophia was turned off, this was no place for the woman to be making a scene, she should be somewhere else for both her and the guest's sake. Sophia also noticed another woman, one of the suitors in fact, the woman took a drink out of something so unpleasant Sophia could smell it clearly, and then just slammed it down to the table like some barbarian.

She then disrespected a patron and as if turning into a completely different person, gave some support to the teary eyed woman. Sophia felt a degree of whiplash at the scene, and held back the desire to scoff at the scene before her. She knew that this was a barbaric place but that didn't mean it was up to some suitor to get into every little detail of the village's issues, if the village didn't have anyone able to find the child then that is an even greater embarrassment. Sophia gave the Selkie woman one last look, shaking her head at the woman who was probably gonna get eaten by a bear out in the woods, or maybe die of poisoning, who knows what was in that drink. Without further delay Sophia kept her head up high and proceeded to walk towards the innkeeper, Isaac following close behind with his tablet in hand.

"Greetings innkeeper, I am here to acquire lodgings for the Kaisarina Helena." Isaac began documenting the exchange. "Preferably one of your best rooms, and we would require something for her attendants as well." she added; Isaac turned to the crying woman and shook his head, if it wasn't for his duties he would have sent her some form of support, perhaps he could nudge Sophia into giving the woman some support when they are done with this, presuming the girl was still here.

Akosua smiled as she finished greeting Katla, who was quick to lead her and her friend to where they'd be staying. Akosua could already tell the family she would be staying with where quite the characters, with the usual marriage related issues you'd expect from the common people; despite the seemingly harsh criticism of Katla towards her husband, Akosua could tell that the marriage was a loving one, and it was that love that she hoped she could find here in the Valley. Akosua followed Katla towards her distant home, noticing that the further they went the thicker the snow covered grown had become, irritating Akosua the deeper they went. Salvation came when Katla gave her a pair of snow shoes, which she hurriedly put on; Negasu had it easier, one foot one shoe, the other he would carry until they no longer needed them.

Katla spoke up once more, giving Akosua an idea of the time table for the rest of the day, she also mentioned needing to get thicker clothes for her, her uniform and cloak helped her somewhat right now, but she didn't doubt she'd need something thicker once darkness came to the Valley, cold nights and all. Any further muse was put on hold when she heard the distinctive bark of a dog in the distance, it was a fairly silly looking breed, but it seemed to be full of energy and joy when it tackled it's owner, the scene was heartwarming and Akosua smiled at the sight. The dog named Rikki got of from Katla and was rewarded with a bone, which was then flung to distract the friendly mutt. Katla told her to run while the dog was distracted, which almost sounded hilarious out of place to her, but she did as instructed, leaving Negasu to be "dog chew" as he couldn't keep up.

It was rather unfortunate then that despite their best efforts, the dog had turned around for another tackle, and this time it's target was Akosua herself. Realizing she was the dogs new target for affection she braced herself and accepted the dog as it leaped into her arms. She was able to prevent herself from falling over, and she returned the playful dogs affections with some pets. "A very affectionate dog you have, is like this usually?" she asked as she managed tog et the dog to back off her, yet still petting him and scratching behind the ears."

Last edited by Aionios Rhomania on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Year: 1479 ♦ Emperor: Basileús Rhōmānos Melissēnos Palaiológos ♦ Government: Bureaucratic Republican Absolute Monarchy

November, 1479: An embassy from Ethiopia reaches Constantinople, seeking a formal alliance with the Roman Empire. The primary focus of being against the Mamluks which rest between them and the Muslim states around the Horn of Africa.

Ealdracaland
Attaché

Founded: May 15, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ealdracaland » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:
([url=https://i.imgur.com/bNCwrqS.png]Image)[/url]

(Image)
Luliya looked down at her watch. 1700. The day was going by fast and all she had so far were pictures of the suitors presenting themselves to the King - nothing of note had happened, nothing really worth taking a picture of. An idea sprung to mind and Luliya leaned against one of the tall pine trees; adjusting the camera's settings let her alter the color balance and apply filters among a multitude of other features. Luliya aimed at a distant squirrel many times magnified by the camera lens. She flicked a few buttons on the display and voila! The squirrel now had a funny black mustash quivering on it's wittle rodent lip. Luliya took the photo and made a mental note to download it to her personal computer before she deleted it. There was a sharp breeze and the squirrel ran off, leaving Luliya once again free.

Luliya scrolled back through the photos on her camera. Boring. Boring. Uber-boring. Hey that's a cute puffin! Luliya settled on the picture of the Princess Helena's gift, a crate full of wonderful gifts - incredibly expensive and lucrative gifts. A single gold Imperial Coin could feed a family for six months if they were frugal, there had to be hundreds if not thousands of gold coins value sitting in that easily accessible, liftable chest. Evil thoughts of thievery began to formulate in Luliya's mind, following by images of what TFF typically did to thieves who stole from The Royal Family. It wasn't a pretty picture, even if it was a picture that was shown to all new staff upon entry; evidently it did it's job. The great thing about pictures was that you only had to torture a man to death once - no need to repeat the process in order to gain easy fear among your subjects.

Luliya glanced at pictures of His Majesty that she had taken on her camera. They'd been assigned to a different gallery on the chip (the beauty of modern technology), containing everything from awkward angles to scrunched facial expressions to just plainly unflattering photos. Luliya had done her due diligence to do the same in regards to the King's suitors but luck wouldn't have it, except for a near shot of a certain suitor's exposed bussom, which was actually just a camera trick that Luliya had picked up in photography classes back home. In other words she had no negative pictures of any of the suitors that would stand up to scrutiny, which was just poor work on her part. Luliya sighed and aimed her camera towards the village; in case God decided to take pity on her and cause one of the suitors to have a sudden wardrobe malfunction.

(Image)

Minutes Earlier

A dead stillness fell over the court as a suitor approached the throne. The once calm air began to stir and then began to howl viciously, a fierce tempest of a a squall cascading over those present. The faces of the handmaids and ladies-in-waiting drained of color; their lips began to quiver and their eyes went wide. The nobility settled back on their heels, crossed their arms or turned their heads down to assess. Father Valdemar's saggy jaw upturned into a wicked smile; his young boy-servant hid himself behind the aged bishop and began to mumble prayers to his God, reciting the lords prayer in Latin, English and Frozen Forestrian. Electricity spread through the crowd and the villagers (who had never once heard of the suitor) stiffened up, their hair on end. The hunters first reflex was to grab a spear or a net, fore whatever or whoever they were looking at offered the same uneasy feeling that one only felt went deep in the wilderness where wild predators stalked.

"Make way for The Wolf Queen!" A young teenage noble called out, fear evident in his eyes. Folks stepped back several paces to give Chieftess Sartana Ninakatari a wide berth as she made her way towards the platform upon which sat the Royal Family. Crown Prince Ari couldn't help but lean forwards, his eyes glittering with curiosity. On the King's other side was Lady Sigrid, whose initial grimace twisted into a forced smile so unlike her, unease began to knot in the young ladies gut. She hadn't closely interacted with Chieftess Sartana during the ball, but she'd heard the stories and the rumors that had abounded since; a giant with a fierce temper, who assaulted several young ladies in waiting and established herself as their premiere leader, all in one nights work. Sigrid didn't know why Sartana made her feel uneasy, even putting the rumors aside there was something threatening about her; it was as though Sigrid could sense her own neck on the line if this Wolf Queen gained real power.

Ivan watched and listened as a pall fell over not just his court but the villagers as well; followed by an immense gale wind. If Ivan were more superstitious he may have considered it a sign one way or another from God. Ivan watched as a servant stepped forwards to take Sartana's war horse and she removed what looked to be a well decorated pot from her pack. At a distance it was colored with wonderful shades of blue and green and as Sartana came closer Ivan could make out the details on the pot; it was a depiction of the Norotunga Valley, at least the more picturesque parts of it; decorated alongside it were key moments in the history of the Valley, including the former King's who had fallen in love among the shade of it's pines. A second servant stepped forwards to collect the pot and as the gift left Sartana's hands she curtsied.

"The so called Wolf Queen returns to stir the pot..." The voice came from the Crown Prince, who sat straighter than before; more regal. "Silence brother." Ivan cleared his throat with a cough and then stood. Flashes of memory flitted through Ivan's mind; a dance, a near kiss and a poorly placed argument. It had been a pleasant time, though Sartana had put him in a difficult spot. Her reputation at court apparently hadn't been affected though, perhaps even enhanced. Ivan wasn't a fool; he'd heard and watched the rumors develop, it was almost surreal to see Sartana here in Norotunga, in the flesh. A giant of a woman and one that put a knot in the King's stomach.

"Chieftess Sartana, its an honor to welcome to you Norotunga Valley. It's been some time...I believe you remember my brother, the Crown Prince" Ivan gestured to Ari, "..and lady Sigrid, my goddaughter." Ari rose his chin high and proud and Sigrid wore her forced smile like a mask. "That's a beautiful pot, thank you..." Ivan lingered as though there was more to be said. "You look well..." Sigrid turned her head to see Ivan clearly, what was wrong with him? Why did he seem so indecisive?

*** PRESENT TIME ***

The platform had been disassembled and Ivan was waylaid by one of his female retainers almost immediately; the young woman started into her troubles, describing at length that she had not been given the proper room at the inn and suggesting that he command the Chief to talk to the innkeeper and sort the mess out. It was always those from the wealthiest or most powerful families that seemed to have the courage to make outrageous demands, and it was taxing. Fortunately one of the suitors appeared to save the day: none other than Gwendolyn, coming forth to admit that she had lied to him. "Please excuse me" Ivan ended his conversation with the young noble-ess and turned towards Gwendolyn as she began to explain. Ivan did his best to ignore the adorable Gimbus sitting in Gwendolyn's arms.

There was a gasp from nearby eavesdropping court ladies, their faces turning a rosy shade of red. They giggled and whispered among themselves "that's so romantic - Is the King embarrassed? - If I had a golden string, I'd tie it somewhere other than his finger Ivan shot the courtiers a look and they gaped, turning away and giggling like hyena's. Ivan cleared his throat and smiled at Gwendolyn "I'm afraid I don't have any golden twine of my own...If that time comes I hope you'll let allow me to borrow some of yours." Ivan turned his head towards the gifts that had been brought as they were rapidly taken from where they'd been initially set towards the King's quarters in the Chieftain's Hall. Among the servants working to port the gifts stood none other than Ivan's goddaughter Sigrid, pan of iced buns in hand - she was shameless.

Sigrid's face was a burning red and her face displayed nothing but total bliss. Ivan could have sworn that he saw a tear rolling down the young girls face as she scarfed down another pastry; that told him everything he needed to know (other than reminding him that his goddaughter was drawn to sweet things like a fly to a bugzapper). "It looks like Sigrid beat me to it. She usually only makes that face when she's having lemon tarts, and never so intense." The poem had evidently already been moved from the pile to his quarters, he would have to read it later. "Poetry comes from the heart, I wouldn't think to read it to anyone else."

Gwendolyn eyes found Ivan's and he felt them melt into him. Ivan held her gaze and his chest felt light; after several long seconds he turned. "We have about three hours before sunset, would you care to walk with me?"

(Image)

As the presentation of the suitors ended Ari was surrounded by his own retinue; one which had steadily grown since the ball months prior until it was almost half as large as Ivan's. The guards, the servants, the skalds, the poets, the heralds, the handmaids and of course the spies all had their individual problems, all of which looking to Ari for solutions. "Yes, yes, no - arrange for gold to be sent to their chambers immediately, I want a report on the food situation as soon as possible." Ari issued his commands and tried to move on but was stopped by his guard captain who held aloft something wrapped in rags and stained a dark crimson. Ari froze in his tracks and stared down at the item, his face going blank as he collected himself. "My liege, we found this outside of your chambers just a few minutes ago. It would seem that someone doesn't want us here" The guard captain came close to hide the item from the nosy court, then began to unfold the cloth to reveal a severed chicken head with it's eyes gouged out. Ari's mind went to work at once - the symbolism of a chicken was clearly intended to imply his cowardice but the eyes being gouged out, that was something that Ari found very curious.

The Frozen Forest didn't have a tradition of eye gouging and neither did the locals. Ari looked around at the dispersing suitors: most wouldn't have had the balls or means to get something like this to his chamber unseen, that is except for two individuals; that being Chieftess Sartana Ninakatari and Basilopoúla Helena Palaiologina. Chieftess Sartana wasn't likely, Ari knew that she had the temperament but he couldn't see how she could have had the means, as she'd arrived alone and was considerably poor. That left Helena, who else could it have been? The shoe seemed to fit, especially in light of the fact that Rhomania had a historic tradition of gouging out the eyes of traitors (which Helena no doubt saw Ari as, even though Ari was only trying to steer the ship of the nation away from disaster before it was too late).

Now was as good a time as any to pay the Princess a visit. "Dispose of this...gift discretely and search my room for bugs. Remove any food and drink you find, scrub the entire room down and make sure the doors and windows haven't been tampered with." Ari reached into a coin purse and removed three Gold Imperial Coins. "Use these for bribes, the locals know how valuable they are; see if you can find out who has been skulking about near my quarters." Ari passed the coins along and then made his way away from his retinue and his guards, traveling with eyes locked on one target in particular: that being none other than Helena.

Two of the Crown Prince's guards broke off from the retinue and followed close behind Ari as he made his approach. Fury welled in the Crown Prince's chest, she'd not been in the country for more than 24 hours and she had already threatened to assassinate him: exactly what one should expect from someone from the so called Queen of Cities. Ari was no stranger to byzantine politics but it was a rare thing to be so direct in a threat, especially to someone of his position and status: that meant Helena felt emboldened, unchallenged. Ari would put a stop to th-.... Ari stopped dead in his tracks, causing his guards to nearly slam into him from behind. "My liege, are you alright?" The one guard touched the Crown Prince's shoulder and when that didn't elicit a response came around to face his lord.

thump thump thump thump thump Ari felt his heart begin to race, he gulped and planted his feet firmly. The Crown Prince's body reacted viciously, assailing him with chills and lightheartedness, his breath caught in his throat and an uneasiness spread across his bones. Fight or flight kicked in and Ari deigned to freeze, his usual calculating self overtaken by the flood of emotions and feelings that burst from the heart and mind. The generals hadn't broke him, the economists hadn't broken him and neither had his brother broken him - but at that moment something felt horribly wrong, something felt like it had broken. His vision began to sway and there was a ringing in his ears, his mind flooded with sensory overload Have I been poisoned? Ari tried to take a deep breath but couldn't and panic began to set in.

"My liege are you alright?" Ari snapped back, his gaze settled on Rhomania's representative royal. The chills remained, the racing heart remained, the dizziness remained and Ari's mind was clouded. Blue eyes, black hair and danger stood before him; a foreign viper had sunk it's teeth into him without even glancing his way and the air around her seemed to sparkle as though dazzled. At a distance she was nothing but a threat, and close up she was still a threat; though the dynamic was different-this greek had gone from amazon to medusa, her gaze paralyzing the mind and soul. Ari bit his cheek hard enough to draw a little blood and then approached.

"Presenting His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Ari of The Frozen Forest." Ari's guard stepped back and Ari bowed once, ever so slightly. "Basilopoúla Helena, I see that the rumors of your beauty were more than just that, as the sun shimmers, one shouldn't gaze too long." Confusion spread over the guards faces, they were there to confront the Basilopoúla, not flatter her. Ari's eyes passed from the Basilopoúla to Anna. Ari smiled genuinely at the young woman, even if she had given the family sword to Ivan she was still clearly a Bjork despite centuries of Rhomanian blood being mixed in, that was besides the fact that Ari detected no true politics on her part, she was merely a tool for Helena afterall. "I must say it's no less of an honor to welcome distant kin to our gracious country. I hope that in time Anna, that you and I may become friends."

(Image)

Katla nodded and wasted no time in turning on her heel to head back home. "The pleasure is all mine. Unfortunately my good for nothing husband overslept, otherwise he'd be here to greet you now. With any luck he'll be awake once we get back to the farm, come along it's only a short walk to the edge of the village." Katla trudged on through the snow, which grew steadily deeper the further from the village center that the pair went. After a certain distance had been crossed Katla disappeared behind one of her neighbors sheds and then reappeared carrying two pairs of wooden snowshoes. Without a word the gatherer tossed one pair to the Ethiopian princess and set to work attaching the other to her feet. Katla tested the shoes with a tenative step forwards and no surprise, her weigh held. "Alright! Let's get going, we only have a few hours before sunset and the start of the festival. We ought to get you something to proper to wear, 'else-wise you'll be freezing like those other foreigners come dark.

Woof Woof! A dog came barreling down the path and through the snow towards Katla and Akosua. The dog pounced and leaped high into the air, hitting Katla head on and causing her to fall back into the snow. The hound growled something fierce and then began to lick Katla's face, causing the woman to giggle and laugh. "Down mutt! Down!" she yelled out in her native, Forestrian Norse tongue. The dog huffed and whined as Katla rose back to her feet. Katla reached into her parka and retrieved a big white bone and the dog's face lit up, it's tail bashing about furiously. "Get it Rikki!" Katla flung the bone as hard as she could towards the house and then began to run through the snow. "Come Akosua, before he has time to get back!" With their farmstead in sight, Katla raced as fast as her legs could carry her through the snow, sweat building up in her parka as she went but it was to no avail as her loyal pooch returned and moved into tackling position - only instead of targeting Katla the dog went for Akosua, leaping through the air at the Ethiopian woman.

(Image)

Gwendolyn noticed Ivan blushing, breathing out a sigh of relief. She was worried that he would somehow think less of her for the string, but she started blushing again hearing the remarks of the women. She never said that they tied the string around each other's finger. The fact remained though that her worries about not being as fancy, wealthy, or all-around impressive as the other girls were unnecessary. She would smile at Ivan, giving a wink to him. "That's why I brought some of my own, your majesty." The girl had gotten more playful, the act she had put on earlier beginning to melt now that she knew she could be her real self around Ivan.

Gwendolyn laughed as she watched Sigrid scarf them down, giggling at the girl, waving to her, and shouting to her "They're good, right? My mom taught me that recipe... if your hunk of a godfather and I get married, I can teach you to make them too!" She looked back to Ivan, giggling like crazy, knowing she probably embarrassed the poor guy, batting her eyes and looking deeply into Ivan's eyes. She couldn't get past his eyes.

The Earlyna would nod her head, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear as she gazed at Ivan, melting just as much with his gaze as he did with her's. "Ivan, I would love nothing more... As much as I like putting on a show for the ladies, I'd rather get to know you." She would give him a gentle smile, putting her hands behind her back and following him along, making sure to walk closely to him. As they walked, she would eventually lie her head on his shoulder, looking up to him. "Is it too soon to say I think I'm falling in love, Ivan?"

All this love stuff was making the little puffin sick. He was going to figure out something else to do while the two lovebirds marched off together. His first idea was to go up to Sigrid, walking up to her as she dug her face into the pastries. Gimbus would squawk up to her, doing a little dance at her feet. This little bird seemed to be smarter than most, almost begging for attention. Sigrid better be ready, because soon enough, the little guy would fly up, landing on her shoulder. She was going to have to be Gwen's replacement while his mom was being gross with that weird man.
Everyone's favorite band of Hoppean Anglo-Saxons. Don't Step on Snek.
Old NS player with a new nation. Been on since 2016. What a long, strange trip it's been.

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil."
-Jerry Garcia

I hate to say it, but those aren't supposed to be Swedish colors. I kinda just used my favorite colors.

Scornerse
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scornerse » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:16 am

The reaction that Sartana had gotten as she approached King Ivan was excellent. Certainly not how she wanted things to remain, but it was about as best as she could possibly hope to start from.

The ladies were cowed. The bobles taken aback, but intrigued, servants and commoners terrified. It was as though her mere presence had activated a primal fear in many. It seemed that her legend had only grown in her absence. The young girl, Lady Sigrid, who sat next to Ivan was clearly uncomfortable in her presence, stretching an insincere smile in an effective attempt to hide it. Sartana, who had up until that point played along with a cold confidence as those around her were frigthened, looked at Sigrid with a small smile. As of now, she had no reason to think she was an obstacle to her aims and she clearly meant a lot to King Ivan, so there was no use in intimidating her, at least not yet.

Sartana had a specific image she wanted to project in mind. She wanted to be known as vicious, but not cruel, brutal, but not barbaric, ruthless, but not abusive. It might seem contradictory at first glance, but it really wasn't quite. She intended to make it clear that the innocent, weak and compliant had nothing to fear of her, that in fact she could be their champion. She needed it known that she wasn't all violence and terror, that she enjoyed seeing people see secure and thriving, even if she did take pleasure in ripping foes and obstacles apart when they stood in her way.

Constantly keeping everyone terrified would be tiring for all involved and it would mean that showing the slightest bit of mercy could be interpreted as a sign of weakness that could bring everyone crashing down. However, a reputation as someone who's rage and violence was predictable and targeted was far more sustainable, virtuous, even. It’d mean making to known that if one had done nothing wrong, there'd be nothing to fear, along with it being entirely clear what doing wrong meant to her. Inversely it'd also mean that alignment with her would be rewarded. Starting with so many fearful of her was a mixed blessing, the fear she wanted some to feel was already instilled, something that would have been harder to accomplish in a village than in a ballroom, but it also meant she had to be careful with how she went about showing care and mercy, so as not to undermine what she already had going for her.

But what was unambiguously good, was that the reaction to her presence sent a definitive message to the other suitors. One didn't have such a gutteral fear of someone that they expected was just passing through, but of someone they expected to linger. The mere fact they responded this way was evidence they felt she had a considerable chance of marrying Ivan.

Additionally, the more cowardly suitors would learn to be afraid of her, while it might convince more courageous ones to confront her out of misguided heroism. She welcomed both, particularly the latter, as it lent it self to all sorts of fun.

Ealdracaland wrote:"If I remember correctly, you are Sartana? I saw you arrive. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

“Yes and you are… Gwendolyn. Nice to meet you.” Sartana said, as she made herself busy enough in her’s and Ivan’s vicinity to catch some of the conversation subtly. Her response to Gwendolyn wasn't hostile despite her being a rival. Looking at the girl, Sartana felt there wasn't all that impressive about her and therefore she not much of a threat. Perhaps she met some definitions of conventional attractiveness, but she certainly didn't strike her as being athletically inclined, nor was there was nothing to suggest much in the way of considerable intelligence on her part, either, in neither her mannerism or words, not that one could be so sure one way or another in only a few moments of of observation. All that was for certain was a naive child-like softness. Writing a love poem to someone you had yet to even meet in person? Perhaps she'd be intriguing for King Ivan for a short while, but barring any additional depth, he was likely to get bored. Sartana couldn’t be absolutely sure, but she considered King Ivan to be someone who far prefered an active wife to a passive one, one that did more than absorb and consume, but lead and create.

One thing was for sure, however, was that it was highly unlikely, even if presented with a golden opportunity, that Sartana would lay a hand on her. Bruises on a girl such as this were signs of victimisation and a source of sympathy. Perhaps some yelling and threats would be suitable, but even that would be of questionable value with someone like her. Perhaps if it were someone visibly less defenceless it’d be worthwhile to do so.

Speaking of which, Sartana had caught a glimpse of the new Brettenwald girl as she had arrived. There would be no Princess Asha this time. On one hand, she was disappointed, the early end of the ball meant that there was no oppertunity Asha wouldn't get acquainted with Sartana's fists, she felt that she owed her that much. On the other hand she was somewhat relieved she wasn't here. Asha seemed to be an intelligent woman, was certainly attractive, had royal pedigree and, for all her overt sweetness, Sartana expected that she was capable of all sorts of bitterness given the correct circumstance.

This Astrid girl, was significantly smaller than Asha, but her mannerisms signalled an overt toughness and discipline that Asha didn't show. Sartana considered approaching her but decided against it. There would be little to gain.

However, there would be something to gain from approaching Lady Sigrid, she didn't see a reason that the girl needed to be afraid of her, perhaps there would be, but she could only know that for sure by speaking with her

She made her way to the girl as she stuffed herself with food.

"Enjoying yourself, aren't you Lady Sigrid? I saw how reacted when I approached King Ivan. I know when someone's scared of me, I just want you to know that you probably have no reason to be afraid of me, though the people you dislike might have reason." Sartana said with a mischievous smile.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:14 am

Norotunga Village

Late. Late late late. It was a common, and bad, habit that Lux Pulchreans tended to have. Although timeliness is good, it wasn't something praiseworthy.

Such a coldness she's only ever experienced in a terrible trip in the Alemania province. As the sleigh approached she got more and more nervous. It finally stopped, guided off by her rider, her things were grabbed for her, except the case containing the gifts. She held on to that.

Against her nature, and on strong suggestion from her sister, Margot had conformed to the typical attire of Lux-French noble women: a white gown, over her shoudlers was a white fur shawl. Covering her forearms were white evening gloves. She wore a pendant of her favorite, Saint Therese de Lisieux. Her black hair was in the typical crown-braid style. Given at least some concessions by Cecile, her lips were adorned with black lipstick, against her rather pale face.

She entered the hall and right away she had noticed things were already on their way.

"Welcome all to Norotunga Valley! I hope to see you all tonight at the opening of the Yule Festival."

She was greeted and questioned who she was, after explaining, she was ushered to King Ivan, who seemed to be about in the middle of conversation with another woman.

"Your Majesty!" Margot spoke, her accent heavy. "Please forgive my intrusion, Mademoiselle." she turned her head and lightly bowed her head to the woman beside Ivan before turning back to him. She could feel a shaking of her hand, nervousness no doubt, but she soon ended it, firmly gripping the case of gifts. "If-if I may present myself." her voice now calmer and firmer "I am Margot Philippe de Elise-Bourbon. I am sister to 'er Majesty Cecile Marie de Elise-Bourbon, wife to 'is Majesty Cleone d'Angeli IV of Lux Pulchrae."

"If I may?" Margot then brought up her case, opening it. Embedded was a golden pectoral cross, and alongside it were two medals, "A pectoral cross, and medals of Saints Michael the Archangel, our protector. And Saint Vincent de Paul, of who my family's city is named after. From one Catholic king to another."

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 am

Friid Anvil-Hater grasped the tissue and dabbed her eyes with it, then turned it over and blew her nose loudly. As the Selkie girl turned towards another patron Friid took the second to breath deep. In...Out...In...Out What was it that her father always said? A girl is only as useful as her wits. She bit down on the corner of her cheek lightly, closed her eyes and counted to ten. When she opened her eyes she felt much calmer and managed to catch the last snippet of conversation between the Selkie girl and the broad shouldered man. She noted the curious sight of the Selkie girl downing a chalice of the produced alcohol with great interest. The thought sparked an idea in her head and the tears stopped flooding: This girl was exactly the person she needed.

The man let out a hearty laugh and poured himself a drink. "You're a ballsy one, aren't you?" He lifted the drink and swallowed burning amber. It passed with the excellence of a long-time drinker, some may have used the term alcoholic. There was a moment to pass before the man rose to his feet. The woman to his right tugged at his sleeve but he paid her no mind as he reached down and snagged a small beige rucksack with the name Ulfric embroidered in. The man wore an arrogance that seemed to scream defiance but his words were otherwise. "Lead the way."

The Inn-Keep caught the coin and stuffed it down her shirt in a flash, then whistled. A short, stubby man sprinted in from another room. "Mistress Saand?" The man squealed pig like. "Go to the stables and tell the hand to collect our new patrons saddle bags. Tell him to take them to room A13" as the words left her mouth, Saand reached down and collected a fine brass key with A13 scribed onto it's handle. Saand set the key on the bar before the Selkie girl.

The chatter of the room escalated as more folks arrived in a drove. The short, stubby man tried to slip past the oncoming crowd but was left caught in the middle and pulled away by the undertow of the bodies. It would have been comical had there been time to watch the sight of it unfold. A rather important looking pair of individuals made their way up to the counter and addressed Saand, their tones authoritative, as though they were the guards of an important Emir. As it turned out Saand was aware of who the Kaiserina Helena was and wasted no time in bowing to the pair. "It is a tremendous honor to host the Kaisarina Helena and her attendants." Saand turned around and pulled a key from under the bar then used it to open a small safe which contained a single golden key. Across the side of the key were engraved the words Divine Suite. "This is our premium Suite, second only to the King's personal Suite. As I understand it the Crown is covering your expenses. The Kaiserina will be permitted to use the private elevator, full access to our menu and all amenities that our Inn offers." Saand set the key before the pair and continued "attendants will be hosted in appropriate Suites and amenities permitting their station." Saand pulled a sheet of paper from below her bar alongside a pencil. The paper contained rows for names, titles and room numbers. "Please see that this is filled out with the names and stations of your party."

Folks began to settle into chairs and at tables. Young, scantily clad local girls made their way around carrying wooden trays upon which sat beer, venison and sweet treats drizzled with honey. Settled among the tables was a curious mix of local men, foreigners and "outsiders" from the rest of the continental TFF. Flashes of silver and bronze slipped away into the hands of the girls; the Inn had to make an income and while there were no doubt complaints about the prices being too high, folks were still eager to unwind after a long day of work and so the Inn remained prosperous even when times were lean. Though of course with booze flowing, bar brawls would no doubt ensue. Around the back of the Inn a half dozen porters set to work unloading various goods into the storeroom, including canned apricots, canned peaches, canned sweetcorn, canned peas, canned pineapples, canned strawberries, canned pears, cheese wedges and various simple foods: a luxury for the average villager who sustained himself only with the game and gathered plants. Naturally there was also a crate or two of fine brandy, bourbon, gin, rum, cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco and other addictive goods; these items were not for the general population but kept on hand for the outsiders and foreigners who could afford them. The shipments were typically handled by one of the working girls, though with the larger crowds it became necessary for Saand to see to it herself. She made a mental note to check with the goods when she got a chance.

A shiver ran through Luliya as she aimed her camera at a small arctic hare some distance away. The tiny creature hopped about in the winter snow on top of two thick little feet, looking as happy as a daisy in spring. Another hare appeared from the burrow entrance, then another and another. Luliya didn't know if rabbits, if hares hibernated or not but they didn't seem tired at all. The hares hopped forwards in her general direction, unaware of Luliya's presence. Through the camera lens she watched as yet another happy burst of hopping made it's way into one of the rabbits. As it leaped into the air Luliya snapped a photo.

The rabbits stopped their hopping and looked to attention, their ears perked against the wind. Luliya felt herself tense up. The rabbits shot away in the opposite direction followed by flakes of snow kicked up by their mad dash. Luliya pulled her camera down and looked around, wondering if they had somehow picked up her scent. Her answer came soon enough in the form of a silvery fox. It appeared from the edge of the forest with smooth gliding steps. The fox did not run, it did not wander either; merely the creature stepped along as though on a journey to some mysterious abode. Luliya couldn't help herself but to follow it and to her surprise the Fox didn't seem to pay her any mind as her feet crunched under the snow.

The fox made it's way out of the clearing and into the treeline. Luliya was quickly behind the Fox with camera in hand. The fox and Luliya stepped along until they came to a small stone statue some distance away from the village. The statue was weathered by age with stone scratches barely discernible from the markings on the base. The fox stepped around the statue and continued on it's way but the statue was where Luliya stopped. There were two stone figures with arms wrapped around one another. Their heads bent and touching, their eyes closed and expressions peaceful. The writing on the base of the statue was written in some primitive form of the Forestrian language, Luliya began to snap photos of the statue and of the writing on it.

As the gathering came to a conclusion and Ivan made his way off the podium one of the suitors saddled up to him to continue their conversation from before. That suitor had just called him a "hunk" which had caused the court to gasp at the boldness of the suitor. Ivan hadn't been able to respond properly as being called a "hunk" wasn't something he was terribly accustomed too. The suitors name was Gwendolyn, from the nation of Ealdracaland and she had made a strong impression (for better or worse) on those present. One positive though was that the young woman had seemingly managed to get onto Sigrid's good side as a non-threatening entity. Ivan mentally checked that box off in his head and started towards his advisors. Gwendolyn appeared at the King's side and Ivan's guards moved to intercept; they stopped short as the King waved a hand to indicate his permission.

Gwendolyn laid her head against Ivan's shoulder and Ivan felt himself go rigid. Ivan peered down at Gwendolyn and lightly pulled himself away. "We've only known each other for a day...It's too soon for us to tell..." Ivan's tone was gentle but firm. Some of the courtiers looked on with scorn as Gwendolyn forwent court etiquette and called Ivan by his first name as opposed to "Your Majesty" but as with before, Ivan held his tongue and made no mention of it. Ivan was waylaid from the side when a familiar face appeared in the form of his personal handmaid Lucy Farehollow. Lucy slammed her hands into Gwendolyn and away from Ivan, her face defiantly pissed. Lucy stepped between the pair and crossed her arms "keep your hands off of him!"

The Night Before

The candle light was flickering when I set the wooden tray down beside King Ivan. Moonlight filtered through the room and illuminated the teapot as I took it in hand and began to pour it's steaming contents into a pretty decorated teacup. The aroma of jasmine and mint wafted through the air alongside the smell of old pine wood from the floor boards. Through the cloud of steam I looked down on Ivan as his hands roved across sheets of white, scrawling decrees here and dictates there. A chilly breeze fluttered in from the shutter and Ivan set down his pencil so that he could grip the seams of his shirt and pull it over his head, revealing well-toned muscles and old war scars from years past. Ivan tossed his shirt aside and I bent down and plucked it. Ivan was silent as I crossed to the other end of the room and deposited the shirt into a small wooden laundry basket. "What was the name of that official, the one we had arrested for corruption last week?" Ivan asked the question without prying his eyes from his paperwork.

"Cornelius Loukopolos, he was the chief housing inspector for the roman slums in Mydalr." I made my way over to Ivan and looked down at a report recommending different punishments for the accused. As Ivan contemplated the report I skimmed through it's contents, noting that the inspector had a wife and four kids. I couldn't imagine the old Ivan being as heartless as to condemn a first time offender to death but things had changed since the poisoning incident some time before; Ivan had grown harder, his arrests more frequent and his punishments for the accused more cruel; It came as no surprise when Ivan began to scratch down the words DEATH BY ELECTROCUTION at the foot of the page. I felt my hand go to his shoulder before my brain could say otherwise; his skin radiated heat and I kept my hand placed as I sought the right words. "I would counsel against killing him. The Romans in Mydalr already resent you for cutting grain shipments. They could riot if you don't show clemency."

Ivan's hand jerked and he crossed out the death warrant, writing in beside it the words TEN YEARS EXILE. I gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze and turned back to the clean laundry that I had been working on folding and hanging. I set Ivan's ceremonial suit on a hook and set to work arranging his accouterments on. Typically this would have been handled by his tailor but seeing as how his tailor had yet to arrive from the broader country, I had no choice but to take up the task. Medals and ribbons domestic and foreign were arranged neatly by I heard Ivan's voice again. "What do you think of the suitors that will be arriving tomorrow?" Ivan's tone was flat, uninterested even-I knew him better though; I tried to keep my own voice nonobjective as replied "I'm only a handmaid and besides, what would I know of them anyways?"

"I know you read their files when I wasn't in the room."

"What gave it away?"

"My room smelled like your perfume and the folders weren't in the order that I left them in. You should really try being more subtle if you're going to go snooping through government files." I glanced over at Ivan to see his eyes narrowed at me accusingly.

"I don't know what you're talking about. If I had gone through the files though-which I didn't-I would tell you that you can do much better than them."

"I can do better than an Empress or a Princess? Who would be better than them?" Ivan's expression had turned into one of curiosity.

"Me. I would be better than them, i think." I didn't mean for my voice to rise but it did, though Ivan didn't seem to notice as he burst out laughing. I crossed my arms as my cheeks went hot. Ivan settled back into his paperwork, a glint of amusement in his eyes as he disregarded me. "No but really, what do you think of them?"

I stifled a hot flash of frustration and chewed on my words. Ivan was as dense as ever but then again, who was I that he would take me seriously? He was the ruler of a vast nation, an empire which held hundreds of millions of people. I was nothing by comparison to what he could have in other women; I had neither power nor wealth nor glory to my name-I had nothing to give. The reminder stung and a small dagger dug it's way into my throat. "I think you need to be careful. We might be in the Norotunga Valley but that doesn't mean that Waldflachen and our other rivals aren't able to reach us. We don't know if any of the suitors are actually assassins in disguise."

Ivan contemplated my words and then shook his head. "You worry too much Lucy; anyways that'll be all for tonight." Ivan stood up and stretched, once again giving me a good look at his body. I nodded and bowed my head. "Goodnight Your Majesty" I left the room and closed the door behind me slowly, slow enough to watch Ivan slipping the remainder of his clothes off into a pile that I would no doubt find at the foot of his bed in the morning. I tried not to think about what I'd seen as I made my way out of the Chieftain's Hall and towards my room at the Inn.

Warm covers blanketed my body, protecting me against the scowling howl of the cold breeze. Through misty, tear soaked eyes I looked at the flower pot against my nightstand, my vision passing over the petals of a wonderful blue-pink carnation. It was a flower as old as this room factually speaking; one of a rare species native to the Norotunga Valley that remained in it's flowering stage until killed by the frost; the beauty of the flower was that if it was kept indoors it could live forever, theoretically speaking. I remembered that lobsters had a similar biological immortality and wondered if perhaps it was some sort of long lost gene that had managed to survive in both plants and animals, but had been lost in most species since. What wonders that flower must have seen given it's age; I wondered if the flower had stood witness to the tale of the three kings, those who had found true love in the valley. I wondered if it had lived in the time of the first men, before the arrival of the Camelonean Norse and the beginning of my people in The Frozen Forest.

As I contemplated the flower my eyes my eyes began to grow heavy. Darkness enveloped my world and and succumbed to it's soft nothings, finding myself back in bed very soon after. I sat straight up, the breeze no longer blowing and the lonely feeling in my heart no longer weighing heavy. My room was illuminated by sweet candles and a large grandfather clock sat near, it's faces no longer moving. I listened to a soft knocking at my door before it creaked open and a man stepped within, closing the door behind him.

"Ivan" I breathed the words out as Ivan walked towards my bed with nothing but a loose piece of fabric draped over him like a toga. "Lucy" he whispered back as he closed the gap between us. I jumped from my bed and ran into his arms, wrapping myself around him; he smelled like freshly cut grass and sweat but I felt myself melt into him. "I thought you would never come. I...I thought you didn't care for me..at least um...not the way that I care about you...I thought that maybe you didn't think I was good enough for you." I felt Ivan's hands on the side of my head, stroking my hair. "Why would you say something like that." His voice was warm and when I looked up at him I saw that his gaze was fixated on mine; there was no other girl in the world but me. "I don't care what the world thinks of us. I don't care that I'm not a Princess, I love you and I want to be with you forever - until we are old and wrinkly - until the world stops making sense, I want to be yours."

"I love you too, Lucy." I felt my worries drip away as I looked into those soft blue eyes - I stood up on my tip toes and pressed my lips to his. Together we fell sideways and onto the bed. A burning heat mustered it's way into my belly and I pressed my hands down on Ivan's chest, feeling his heart as vividly as though my ear were pressed against him. I leaned down and kissed him again and the world finally melted away...

I opened my eyes and pulled aside the blankets that had been draped over me. Through tired, hazy eyes I noticed that the huge grandfather clock was no longer sitting in the corner of my room, nor was there any sign of His Majesty among my sheets, or even the smell of him lingering on any of the pillows. A soft light drizzled in from outdoors; It was all a dream I realized, a sad melody playing itself on the strings of my heart. I slid myself out of bed and made my way over the dresser to get dressed. There was a light knock at my door followed by a loud "Breakfast!" call. I slipped into my uniform and went to retrieve my food. Eggs and soup marked the beginning of my day; once I had finished I dabbed my lips with a handkerchief and began to make my way back towards the Chieftain's Hall; back to Ivan.

Ivan stepped between Lucy and Gwendolyn and his guards were quick to react, filling the space between the two before the situation could escalate. Lucy was clearly ready for a fight as she bunched her hands into fists and glared daggers at the undeserving Gwendolyn. With his guards now in place Ivan rounded on Lucy with a fury of his own bubbling out. "What's gotten into you? Forget it, get out of my sight, we'll discuss this later." Ivan was fuming, draining the anger from Lucy's face and replacing it with shock and surprise as her mouth gaped open. "I-I didn't mean..." Lucy looked down at Gwendolyn and then back at Ivan, then bowed her head "My apologizes" she mumbled before spinning and plodding off in the opposite direction. Ivan watched her go, wondering what was wrong with Lucy to assault one of the suitors; it was so abnormal that he wondered if he should send for a doctor to make sure she didn't contract something like rabies.

Ivan turned back to Gwendolyn and offered his hand to help her back onto her feet. He wasn't quite sure what to say at first but managed a soft "I don't know why she reacted like that. Please forgive her - and forgive me for allowing it to happen." Ivan's eyes were soft, pleading even.

A voice rang out beside Ivan and Gwendolyn as Ivan helped Gwendolyn regain herself. Ivan turned towards the sound of the voice to see none other than Margot Philippe de Elise-Bourbon of Lux Pulchrae, one of the latecoming suitors. Ivan had read his intelligence services file on Margot and had thought that she would be one of the more unique suitors to have accepted given her unusual choice in clothing. Perhaps his intelligence services had been wrong or perhaps Margot had wished to make a strong first impression on Ivan; either way Ivan was taken slightly aback, having expected Margot to appear in gothic clothing rather than the traditional whites one would expect for western nobility. From a practical standpoint Margot represented an almost direct link to the ruler of Lux Pulchrae so perhaps that had something to do with it?

"It's an honor to finally meet you. I was worried that you had been delayed when I didn't see you at the presentation of the suitors but I'm glad to see that you arrived safe and sound." Ivan delivered the introduction with as much charm as he could muster as he gathered his bearings. Whether it was convincing or not, there wasn't time to mull over as Margot launched into the presentation of her gift. A pectoral cross in The Frozen Forest was typically worn by priests and the especially devout; Ivan could only guess that Margot thought of him as belonging to the latter category. The medals were also religious in nature, though there was a small distinction regarding Saint Vincent de Paul. Saint Vincent de Paul was recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, Ivan's own faith; though Saint Vincent was not recognized by the Frozen Forestrian Catholic Church, so wearing that medal in particular had the possibility of inflaming tensions between the two faiths. Ivan let those thoughts rest as he smiled and gently accepted the gifts, even deigning to immediately attach the Medal of Saint Michael the Archangel to his chest (which would no doubt show the court that Margot's gifts were favored, and thus that Margot was of some considerable interest to the King).

"

Sigrid's eyes wandered over Chieftess Sartana as the so called "Wolf Queen" made her approach. Sartana's assessment was correct and there wouldn't be much point in denying it; Sigrid was afraid of Sartana and what she represented, at least to those who had any experience with her. The carefree little girl of the ballroom was no more, Sigrid had learned more than just biology and arithmetic from her tutors; Sartana was dangerous because like a lioness, there was no real benefit to keeping Sigrid around should the worst come to pass and Ivan were to fall for her. She would have to get rid of Sigrid in order to make room for her own brood, her own family. Even if Sigrid managed to court some goodwill with Sartana, that still didn't rule out the fact that she could be considered to have a weak claim to the throne of TFF which would always make her a threat to the Wolf Queen. No, Sigrid had was an empathetic person but when she put herself into Sartana's shoes it just made it all the more apparent; a world in which Sartana was queen was a dangerous world for Sigrid.

"Why should I trust you? You broke a girls nose during your last visit to the country." That rumor had been flying around for awhile; somehow to other, more unstable actor in that incident had been forgotten by the rumor mill. Sigrid crossed her arms defensively, her expression accusatory. "Why should Ivan marry you if you can't even behave yourself at a ball." It was a harsh statement, harsher than Sigrid would normally have been able to muster. Cruelty felt bitter leaving her mouth, she didn't like it.

Ari cleared his throat quietly and paused, thinking on his feet. "The villagers open the Yule Festival with a ritualistic dance. We will be expected to attend and participate since we are guests in the valley; I was wondering if you would do me the honor of being my dancing partner." It was a straightforward, if untrue request. While there was indeed an opening dance, newcomers to the valley weren't required to join in - still it seemed like a safe enough out for him given his hasty approach; besides maybe it would give him the opportunity to learn more about Helena and companions. Ari thought that reasoning was sound enough.

The guards beside Ari stiffened up in surprise. They knew better than to show it outwardly but they began to wonder whether Ari had somehow lost his mind on the short march over to the Basilopoúla Helena. Hadn't he just been on a warpath only moments before? Why the sudden change? A thought crossed the mind of one of the guards however. He understood exactly what was happening; it was all so clear. The Crown Prince was infatuated! The guard had to hold back from snickering as the image of Ari and Anna snuggling against a warm fireplace nestled its way into his mind.

Arrun's mind went totally white-blank; time stood still and he achieved inner peace more fulfilling than that of the Buddha. His lips were on fire, the inferno spreading through his face and down his spine to fill every inch of his body. Arrun felt himself elevated into the clouds, his soul carried on the wind like a leaf caught in the breeze. The raging whirpool that had been his nervous fell as still as the waters of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, that is, completely and utterly still. Dopamine hit Arrun's brain like a runaway freight train, erasing any thoughts except those of the goddess in front of him. No amount of money in the world could replicate it; no amount of power could provide such a high; Arrun's entire being cried out to lean forwards ever so slightly and procure a proper kiss, to send him into nirvana or shangri-la or whatever existed above the human consciousness.

Love couldn't even begin to describe Arrun's disposition at that moment or any moment after. He froze as still as a statue, his mouth parted slightly. When at last he came back to his senses Arrun looked towards the kids and back to Mari. Subconciously he reached into his money pouch and grabbed a handful of coins, many of them gold, and dropped them for the kids. Much like they had earlier, the kids scrambled to collect the coins. No doubt Arrun was wrecking havok on the local villages economy but he couldn't quite say that he cared right then. "This dress is yours as well..." Arrun leaned down to collect the flower dress; he half expected it to fall apart in his hands but that wasn't the case, it was as firm as any fabric but twice as pretty (and odorous in a good way).

"Maybe this is too forwards of me to ask but may I accompany you until the start of the Yule Festival?"

Current Temperature: 51.1 Fahrenheit
Last edited by The Frozen Forest on Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Scornerse
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Scornerse » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:30 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:
(Image)

Sigrid's eyes wandered over Chieftess Sartana as the so called "Wolf Queen" made her approach. Sartana's assessment was correct and there wouldn't be much point in denying it; Sigrid was afraid of Sartana and what she represented, at least to those who had any experience with her. The carefree little girl of the ballroom was no more, Sigrid had learned more than just biology and arithmetic from her tutors; Sartana was dangerous because like a lioness, there was no real benefit to keeping Sigrid around should the worst come to pass and Ivan were to fall for her. She would have to get rid of Sigrid in order to make room for her own brood, her own family. Even if Sigrid managed to court some goodwill with Sartana, that still didn't rule out the fact that she could be considered to have a weak claim to the throne of TFF which would always make her a threat to the Wolf Queen. No, Sigrid had was an empathetic person but when she put herself into Sartana's shoes it just made it all the more apparent; a world in which Sartana was queen was a dangerous world for Sigrid.

"Why should I trust you? You broke a girls nose during your last visit to the country." That rumor had been flying around for awhile; somehow to other, more unstable actor in that incident had been forgotten by the rumor mill. Sigrid crossed her arms defensively, her expression accusatory. "Why should Ivan marry you if you can't even behave yourself at a ball." It was a harsh statement, harsher than Sigrid would normally have been able to muster. Cruelty felt bitter leaving her mouth, she didn't like it.

Despite the fact that Sartana was well aware that she had an intimidating presence, she would attempt add to it with her tone in her response to Sigrid, despite the fact that her question was rude.

"You're mistaken." Sartana began with a frown.

"It was another girl that broke the girl's nose. Someone that she had slapped earlier. The slap had come out of frustration after getting the worse end of a verbal confrontation with me and as you can imagine, she didn't dare lay a hand in me." Sartana spoke, with a detectable tone of disappointment.

"I brought the victim with me to get an apology, there was an exchange of words, then came the punch." Sartana explained.

"It's unfortunate that the story's been twisted to make it seem as though I had broken that girl's nose. Had I punched her, I'd have done more damage than that." Sartana said with a small smile and laugh.

"As for my assertive, behavior at the ball and why Ivan ought to marry me, you have to understand, these ladies of the court, especially the ones that are full of themselves, have to be brought to heel, or they'll cause all sorts of mischief. Weather I do it, or someone else does it must be done. " Sartana continued.

"When the queen does it herself, she can apply the nessecary pressure. When the queen relies on someone else, not only does they consider own interests first, often times those interests involve being excessive, which not only can cause problems for the king and queen, it also causes unnecessary harm." Sartana wanted to make it clear to sigrid that her behavior was a strategy, not just impulse.

"Furthermore, yes, I make use of implicit threats of physical violence and they're never empty, but, even that is a mercy and more straightforward. Bruises heal on their own, punishment in lost opportunities require others to mend and frequently mean taking away from other people in the process. That girl's nose healed, but losing a front row seat to a play can only be regained by taking it back from someone else, to pick a trivial example." Sartana concluded, leaving out the part that she did enjoy physical confrontation. That wasn't exactly useful to her, she wasn't trying to scare Sigrid much more than she already had.

The Selkie
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Selkie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:20 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:
(Image)

Friid Anvil-Hater grasped the tissue and dabbed her eyes with it, then turned it over and blew her nose loudly. As the Selkie girl turned towards another patron Friid took the second to breath deep. In...Out...In...Out What was it that her father always said? A girl is only as useful as her wits. She bit down on the corner of her cheek lightly, closed her eyes and counted to ten. When she opened her eyes she felt much calmer and managed to catch the last snippet of conversation between the Selkie girl and the broad shouldered man. She noted the curious sight of the Selkie girl downing a chalice of the produced alcohol with great interest. The thought sparked an idea in her head and the tears stopped flooding: This girl was exactly the person she needed.

The man let out a hearty laugh and poured himself a drink. "You're a ballsy one, aren't you?" He lifted the drink and swallowed burning amber. It passed with the excellence of a long-time drinker, some may have used the term alcoholic. There was a moment to pass before the man rose to his feet. The woman to his right tugged at his sleeve but he paid her no mind as he reached down and snagged a small beige rucksack with the name Ulfric embroidered in. The man wore an arrogance that seemed to scream defiance but his words were otherwise. "Lead the way."

The Inn-Keep caught the coin and stuffed it down her shirt in a flash, then whistled. A short, stubby man sprinted in from another room. "Mistress Saand?" The man squealed pig like. "Go to the stables and tell the hand to collect our new patrons saddle bags. Tell him to take them to room A13" as the words left her mouth, Saand reached down and collected a fine brass key with A13 scribed onto it's handle. Saand set the key on the bar before the Selkie girl.

The chatter of the room escalated as more folks arrived in a drove. The short, stubby man tried to slip past the oncoming crowd but was left caught in the middle and pulled away by the undertow of the bodies. It would have been comical had there been time to watch the sight of it unfold. A rather important looking pair of individuals made their way up to the counter and addressed Saand, their tones authoritative, as though they were the guards of an important Emir. As it turned out Saand was aware of who the Kaiserina Helena was and wasted no time in bowing to the pair. "It is a tremendous honor to host the Kaisarina Helena and her attendants." Saand turned around and pulled a key from under the bar then used it to open a small safe which contained a single golden key. Across the side of the key were engraved the words Divine Suite. "This is our premium Suite, second only to the King's personal Suite. As I understand it the Crown is covering your expenses. The Kaiserina will be permitted to use the private elevator, full access to our menu and all amenities that our Inn offers." Saand set the key before the pair and continued "attendants will be hosted in appropriate Suites and amenities permitting their station." Saand pulled a sheet of paper from below her bar alongside a pencil. The paper contained rows for names, titles and room numbers. "Please see that this is filled out with the names and stations of your party."

Folks began to settle into chairs and at tables. Young, scantily clad local girls made their way around carrying wooden trays upon which sat beer, venison and sweet treats drizzled with honey. Settled among the tables was a curious mix of local men, foreigners and "outsiders" from the rest of the continental TFF. Flashes of silver and bronze slipped away into the hands of the girls; the Inn had to make an income and while there were no doubt complaints about the prices being too high, folks were still eager to unwind after a long day of work and so the Inn remained prosperous even when times were lean. Though of course with booze flowing, bar brawls would no doubt ensue. Around the back of the Inn a half dozen porters set to work unloading various goods into the storeroom, including canned apricots, canned peaches, canned sweetcorn, canned peas, canned pineapples, canned strawberries, canned pears, cheese wedges and various simple foods: a luxury for the average villager who sustained himself only with the game and gathered plants. Naturally there was also a crate or two of fine brandy, bourbon, gin, rum, cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco and other addictive goods; these items were not for the general population but kept on hand for the outsiders and foreigners who could afford them. The shipments were typically handled by one of the working girls, though with the larger crowds it became necessary for Saand to see to it herself. She made a mental note to check with the goods when she got a chance.

[...]

(Image)

Arrun's mind went totally white-blank; time stood still and he achieved inner peace more fulfilling than that of the Buddha. His lips were on fire, the inferno spreading through his face and down his spine to fill every inch of his body. Arrun felt himself elevated into the clouds, his soul carried on the wind like a leaf caught in the breeze. The raging whirpool that had been his nervous fell as still as the waters of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, that is, completely and utterly still. Dopamine hit Arrun's brain like a runaway freight train, erasing any thoughts except those of the goddess in front of him. No amount of money in the world could replicate it; no amount of power could provide such a high; Arrun's entire being cried out to lean forwards ever so slightly and procure a proper kiss, to send him into nirvana or shangri-la or whatever existed above the human consciousness.

Love couldn't even begin to describe Arrun's disposition at that moment or any moment after. He froze as still as a statue, his mouth parted slightly. When at last he came back to his senses Arrun looked towards the kids and back to Mari. Subconciously he reached into his money pouch and grabbed a handful of coins, many of them gold, and dropped them for the kids. Much like they had earlier, the kids scrambled to collect the coins. No doubt Arrun was wrecking havok on the local villages economy but he couldn't quite say that he cared right then. "This dress is yours as well..." Arrun leaned down to collect the flower dress; he half expected it to fall apart in his hands but that wasn't the case, it was as firm as any fabric but twice as pretty (and odorous in a good way).

"Maybe this is too forwards of me to ask but may I accompany you until the start of the Yule Festival?"

Current Temperature: 51.1 Fahrenheit

Quinn Fiacais of the Tribe of Wicklow.
The drinker seemed to be ready to aid as well, the bartender didn't seem to be too upset, even ordering a stablehand to bring my stuff to my room (I bagged the key) and the girl seemed to be in better, not good, but better, spirits.
I motioned for the guy, Ulfric, if his backpack was anything to go by, to follow me to the girl and as the pompous circus menagerie entered. What was the Younger Militia Training... Second Year High School, 2nd Iris Lancers, what was the procedure as first responder...?
"First of all, I am Quinn.", I introduced myself with a small bow, "Searrach, I need to know a few things before we go out and search for your little brother.", I told her, "First of all, I need your name and I need his name. And I need to know, if there are any favourite places of his, a fortress of solitude or something like this, where he loves to hang out." We'd go there first. "Also, when did he vanish?"
Confidence, Quinny.
Usually, I'd have a banner or five, but I'd manage alone, or rather with Ulfric and the girl.
What, did you think I'd leave her here, moping around?

Marihime Ingansu.
It was obvious, that he wanted more from the kiss - young ones were like that, impulsive and hurried. With their limited time, it was understandable, but for me...
He looked to the kids, who were holding a dress interwoven with flowers. He took it and threw some coins to the kids, not caring if they caught them, if they dropped to the ground or if he even hit one with them.
The kids, of course, scrambled, as Arrun offered the dress to me.
"This dress is yours as well...", he offered the well-smelling dress, then added: "Maybe this is too forwards of me to ask but may I accompany you until the start of the Yule Festival?"
The dress was pretty, smelled well and...
...I stepped back in order to study it.
It hurt already to do, what I was about to do.
"Hisa."
A flash of steel.
Cut neatly in halves, the dress was in Arrun's hands.
A click, as Hisa sheathed her sword.
All in less then a second.
"I am sorry, I can not in good faith and confidence go to a festival with a man, who rewards children's hard work like..." I motioned to the children, who were still picking up coins, presumably. He'd note, that I spoke Forestian, accented, but hopefully well enough. "...this." I let a beat pass. "Hisa."
My loyal retainer was my rearguard as I turned on my heels and walked off.
She kept an eye on him, a hand on her sword's hilt, then motioned for the oldest of the children to follow us.
I play PT, MT and a bit FT. I am into character-RPs.
My people are called the Selkie, the nation is usually called the Free Lands in MT-settings. Thanks.

Silverport Dockyards Ltd.: Storefront - Catalogue

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:36 am

Astrid, since being at a loss for what to do had occurred infrequently enough in her life for said occasions to be counted on two hands, decided to just shift into Park for a moment.

TAPA. The four-letter acronym that was but the first drop in the bucket of military mental self-conditioning.

Think. Analyze. Plan. Act.

Gears instantly started turning in her head.

Query: Sartana- current threat?
Answer: Unknown but to be watched regardless. Observe passively for moments of weakness, potentially repeated behavioral patterns, body language. The ego was an unpredictable enemy but you could use it against itself if you played your cards right. Played them carefully. Delicately. Asha wasn't stupid, she just didn't think the right way to go toe-to-toe with people like the Chieftess.

Query: What's going on in the village?
Answer: Current intelligence lacking. Surface-level impressions are as follows: populace not primitive per se but for better or worse isolated from modern world, potential childlike black-and-white worldviews could be easily manipulated by more mercenary outsiders (mechanisms: food, money, gifts, religion), otherwise much like any other small town putting on its best face for dignitaries from the wider world.

Query: HUMINT sources?
Answer: Not knowing local gossip hotspots- pub. Bar. Inn. Wherever people drink. Universal constant. Want to learn the most about a group of people in the least amount of time? Find the local watering hole and open your ears.

Which was exactly what the Lieutenant, executing an about-face in the direction of the Froststag Inn and forcing herself to walk like a normal civvie for once not going into autopilot in her usual relaxed march, intended to do.

The inn turned out to be pretty much what Astrid had expected as she pushed the door open: warm, loud but not overwhelmingly so, faint hints of fireplace smoke mixed with the scent of honest home-cooked food, crowded. Whatever attention she may have been drawing (even discarding height, looks and uniform she doubted rural Forestrian dive bars frequently played host to foreign nobility) she simply let roll off her.

"Neat whiskey, please." She'd taken up residence at the bar a few seats down from Quinn and gotten the attention of the innkeep, a woman of uncertain age with the friendly yet detached efficiency befitting her station during business hours. "And if it's not overly personal," she added in a lower voice after noticing something that set her Mama Bear sense tingling, "what's up with her over there? I've never liked seeing kids cry, especially not if there was anything I could do about it."
Last edited by Brettenwald on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am

Hanbyeol was all too familiar with the feeling of getting approached by strangers eager to talk to her, take photos, or ask for autographs. After all, it comes with being an idol, an idol of her calibre, no less. While her mother's fame did give a slight push to her early career, it was the people's love for her and her group that kept her in the red ocean of the Kpop industry. What she didn't expect, however, was a model from another universe, who came to court the king, squealing like the fans she saw at home. Once the surprise subsided from her expression, Hanbyeol gave Svana a warm smile and a giggle. "Of course!" Her sweet voice conveyed her appreciation towards the lady. "What's your name, dear?" She asked to complete her autograph, written in alphabet with a smiley drawn on it and the words "thank you, please keep supporting me" added for a more sentimental touch.

After completing her autograph, she handed over the CD case to Svana with both hands as she bowed. Thank you again for the support, your love is greatly appreciated, we couldn't have done anything without people like you!" Now that the formalities were over, she could finally talk to Svana as a woman in her age group, instead of just as an idol. "You look really cute! I love your outfit, too! Did you pick it out yourself? Oh, could we have a photo together? What's your SNS? We should totally follow each other!"
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Aionios Rhomania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aionios Rhomania » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 pm

Sophia couldn't help but smile when the innkeeper showed deference towards the name of the Basilopoúla, a part of her had honestly been convinced that this barbarian backwater wouldn't have recognized the importance of the Rhomaioi princess, even if Sophia consciously understood that was being uncharitable to the natives; of course this innkeeper understood who Helena was, the Forestian government no doubt had prepared some papers for this occasion.

It took no time for Sophia to be presented with an elaborate key by Saand, one that almost seemed sacrilegious given the writing engraved on its side. Saand gave Sophia the run down of what the suite offered, and she would have to admit that it's offerings were better than she expected; Sophia had expected the bare minimum from this place, but it she realized that she was being unfair to the people of the Valley. While they were promised a extravagant suite, they could only determine if this was up to their standards when they reach the suite itself.

Saand followed up with a paper sheet that drew Sophia's attention. "Hm... something for Isaac to take care of; I wonder how we fit in the guards however, I hope everything will work out in the end." Sophia passed the paper to the Magistros before giving the innkeeper a curt nod.

"Of course, we shall return in a moment." Sophia was gonna let Isaac organize everything, while she will head back to Helena to update her of their room situation.

Even if the suite proved to be up to her standards, Sophia was still displeased at having to stay in this valley. "Damnable barbarians complicating everything." Sophia swore that if she could get her hands on the people responsible for that whole fiasco back in the Forestian Royal Palace, then she'd see to it that they'd be blinded at the very least. After all if it wasn't for that then Helena wouldn't even be in this frozen backwater.

The trio made their ways towards a table inside the inn, one which wasn't too deep inside, but was decently far enough in as to not become bothered by the back and forth of patrons coming in and out. Isaac settled down and gave the sheet a once over before setting it down alongside his tablet. Sophia declined to sit down with him, choosing instead to observe the scenery around them, poorly restraining a sneer at the establishment before turning her gaze back to the Magistros; Isaac was given the impression from her expression that the inn had insulted her somehow, although he surmised she was just being cranky.

"I should head back to the Kaiserina and let her know we secured a room, I trust that you have everything handled here Magistros?"

Isaac kindly waved her off. "I'm not that old my lady, I have the situation handled so don't feel like you have to linger about, go along and meet back up with the Kaiserina. I'm confident that you're pretty anxious to be at her side again."

Sophia blushed at the old man's insinuations,
"Don't treat me like some brat, I'm just dedicated is all..." she pouted before turning to leave. Isaac for his part was amused, but quickly turned to focus on filling out the paper before him, giving the guard near him a quick glance before returning to the paper.

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Helena was surprised by Ari's request to be his dance partner, and for a faint moment she reconsidered what it was he exactly wanted out of her. Given the context one would think he harbored feelings for her, if not drawn from lust, than genuine infatuation at the very least. If nothing else Helena couldn't deny that it was a possible motive, but if so then it was an extremely troubling one. Helena couldn't afford to attach herself to a man like Ari, who despite being King Ivan's kin and technical heir, was an obvious rival and dangerous to the King's authority.

There was another way to look at it however, by accepting his request she could keep him close and focused on her, checking his ability to court the other suitors and finding among them one who would be amenable to any plots he hatches. No matter what options she chose, Helena felt that she would lose something, and for a brief moment she considered if this was in fact a ploy by the Prince to catch her in some gambit. Helena couldn't make heads or tales of the Prince, what was his game here, was her and Anna's display to the King that effective? Or was there something else that drew the Prince towards her? Either way Helena knew she couldn't personally dance with him, but she didn't trust him enough to not be plotting something and roping in someone else; either way she decided to be honest to him, but open the door for other options.

"I must apologize most sincerely, for I am afraid I must refuse. I hope that you may find it within yourself to understand my predicament, for if I were to accept your request it may lead to unwanted rumors and harm my chances to impress upon his majesty my genuine desire to become his wife." She said calmly before turning her head towards Anna.

"However if you still wish for a dance then how about with Anna, not only would you get to know more about us, but you could catch up with distant kin." Anna looked between the two of them, and suddenly felt a great deal smaller.

"M-me?" she stammered out.

"Why yes of course, has it not been your wish to connect with his majesty and his most noble house?" Helena said, almost teasing the shy girl.

It was during this exchange that Sophia returned to Helena's side, giving the Crown Prince a curious look. Before she could open her mouth however, she was quickly interrupted by Helena.

"Oh! or how about my dear friend? your Royal highness, may I present you Sophia Melissene. She too has purple in her blood, and her family history dates back centuries! a truly ancient pedigree." Sophia for her part was stunned and wondering what was going on, glancing first to a still puzzled Anna and then to some of Helena's attendants, whatever was going on it must be another of Helena's eccentricities at play.
Year: 1479 ♦ Emperor: Basileús Rhōmānos Melissēnos Palaiológos ♦ Government: Bureaucratic Republican Absolute Monarchy

November, 1479: An embassy from Ethiopia reaches Constantinople, seeking a formal alliance with the Roman Empire. The primary focus of being against the Mamluks which rest between them and the Muslim states around the Horn of Africa.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates