NATION

PASSWORD

GN Excerpts.

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

GN Excerpts.

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:36 am

Excerpts and information from Great Nortan public and private life, including selected transcriptions in the Parliamentary Debates.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:07 am, edited 15 times in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

CABBATT AND OLMAN'S PARLIAMENTARY DEBATES,
of the Houses of Burgesses and Knights,

and commonly known as the Houses of Commons

THE FIFTH PARLIAMENT OF HIS MAJESTY KING ALEXANDER THE SECOND'S REIGN

Speaker: The Right Honourable Sir Peter Faulkner, Burgess for Mainrew
Knight-Lieutenant: The Right Honourable Henry Wigham, Knight for Swent North East

THE THIRD LIMMES MINISTRY IN COMMONS
Cabinet members are shewn in emboldened type

Senior Secretary to the Treasury and Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Martin Fitzgerald, Burgess for Limmes
Parliamentary Under-Secretary to the Treasury: Richard de Maines, Knight for Barminstershire South Riding
Paymaster of the Army: Lieutenant-General Sir Edward Minnow
Master of the Mint: Sir Liam Sawnett, Knight for Mure
Comptroller of the Exchequer: Rt. Hon. Spencer de Stornton, Burgess for Acingham
Clerk of the Exchequer: Michael Falthorn, Knight for Essingfordshire North
Knight of Receipts: Timothy Hawtree, Knight for Fawnshire North
Secretary to the Lord Chancellour: Stuart Cloves, Knight for Bentshire North
Paymaster of the Navy: Rear Admiral Sir Harold Hay
The King’s Clerk: Rt. Hon. Sir Aaron Billings, Knight for Swent South West
Secretary of State for Foreign and Welch Affairs: Rt. Hon. George Drachington, Burgess for Mooping
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Bernard Barber, Knight for Enley East
Postmaster-General of the General Post Office: Rt. Hon. Sir Lachlan James, Burgess for Lanchester
Assistant to the Postmaster-General: Henry Fabing, Knight for Poltland East
Secretary at War: Rt. Hon. Frederic Hondel, Burgess for Morneck
Storeman of the Board: John Edd, Knight for Eamshire East
Clerk of the Board: Sir Charles Trueman, Knight for Larkshire in Between
Master of the Board of Rail and Second Lord of Trade: Rt. Hon. Sir William Gouldon, Knight for Enley West
Master of the Board of Health: James Kinson, Burgess for Seaslough
Alchemist General: Sir Geoffrey Chandler, Burgess for Boucester
Attorney General: Rt. Hon. Sir Peter Finch, Burgess for Tollsea
Solicitor General: Sir Harmint Luse, Burgess for Quarry
King’s Proctor: Sir Gerard de la Rue, Burgess for Sulthey
Advocate General: Sir Xavier Wood, Burgess for Running
Surveyour General of Forests and Woods: Rt. Hon. Jonathan Hall, Knight for Oxleyshire
Under-Surveyour of Forests and Woods: Henry Fair, Knight for Ganningshire East

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
Cabbatt and Olman's, Printers of the City of Lendert
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 am

25th of September, 2018

Oral Answers to Questions
The King's Clerk was asked
On matters concerning the provision of public police telephones

Mr Jonathon Reid, for Ovingpool, Conservative—How useful and important is it that more public police telephones be provided in our boroughs and cities.

Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Since my right honourable friend, his Grace, the Duke of Limmes of another place, formed government in 2009, we have introduced to the streets and other public places of Great Nortend's bustling and important civic centres over five hundred public police telephones, in the form of either discreet pillars of cast iron or practical boxes of a garden shed design, all painted in blues. Since 2010, when the first of these important elements of public infrastructure were installed, there have been over two million calls for assistance to the police constabularies, resulting indirectly in over a million arrests in these eight years. The Government has, however, not been content to sit idle and fan ourselves in glory. No, this year alone, we have installed fifty new police telephones, and I am pleased to announce to this honourable place that every single borough now has at least two public police telephones.
Members cry
Sir Aaron—Next year, in 2019, I am even more pleased to announce, the Government plans to install 133 new dedicated public police telephones in the streets of Lendert, Limmes, Rhise and Faunslaughter, and fit over 1000 red telephone kiosks with simple police telephone functionality. These police telephones save lives and further the Government's goal of keeping all of His Majesty's subjects safe from danger.
Mr Reid—Some people have complained that these new police telephone pillars are unsightly and duplicate the role of the telephone kiosk. How does the Clerk respond to these allegations?
Sir Aaron—I thank my hon. friend for his question. With every innovation, there is bound to be those detractours. And this is no exception. Of course, some people will be crossly writing to their member complaining that these essential public safety telephones are ugly or obnoxious, or as one lady in my shire said, 'arrogantly useless', but the majority will be thankful and glad, as will those aforementioned people, when the unfortunate time comes when they themselves are in need of the police, or an ambulance, or the fire brigade, and they are able to walk but a few hundred yards down the street and instantly, without panic and free of charge, dial the emergency service of which they are in need of. And note that though these telephones are called police telephones, we must not cause people to think that they are solely for the purpose of dialling the police. No, these telephones offer near-instantaneous communication with an operatour who is able to connect the caller to a wide range of emergency services, including, as before, the police, the fire brigade and the ambulance service, but also the coast guard and utilities companies for when someone is swept out to sea or when a water pipe is burst.
Mr Philip Adrake, for Bexeness, Droughs—I wonder if the King's Clerk has been to my borough of Bexeness or wandered its town streets at all. The people I represent have, and from what I have been told, there has not been a public police telephone installed at all within the borough. How can the Clerk say that every borough has at least two public police telephones when apparently, Bexeness has naught?
Sir Aaron—I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question and invite him to inform his constituents that there indeed are two public police telephones in Bexeness. From my papers here, I can see that there is one wall-mounted public police telephone behind the sexton's shed in the churchyard of St Marion and another pillar telephone located at the crest of Jolliver's Hill, in Fillerby Alley. I hope that with this new information, the hon. Gentleman's constituents will be able to find their way around their town in a more effective manner.
Mr Adrake—Behind the sexton's shed? Mr Speaker, surely that is not a reasonable place to put a public police telephone? And tucked away in a tiny, dark and dingy alley-way four foot wide? Does the Clerk think the good burghers of Bexeness deserve nothing but the bare minimum in terms of public safety?
Sir Aaron—If we recall back to those debates in 2009, in the first term of our Government, I seem to recall that members on the opposite side were rather much against the entire scheme! If they were in Government we wouldn't have any public police telephones, let alone debate their placement! How can the hon. Gentleman complain about the placement of public police telephones when he himself was against the idea of their introduction in the first place?

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 am

26th of September, 2018

The Senior Secretary to the Treasury was asked
On the church and chimney taxes

Mr Harold Allan, Knight for Barminstershire West Riding, Droughs—Why has the maximum church tax not been reduced to fifteen shillings threepence when before the general election, the Coalition's programme indicated that the government would?
Mr Martin Fitzgerald (Senior Secretary to the Treasury and Deputy Prime Minister), for Limmes, Conservatives—Church tax, which should not be confused with church tithes, have been a staple part of the church's revenues since the 17th century, when our venerable King, His Majesty King Alexander the First, turned away from the popish skulduggery of the Roman church and established our holy and catholic Church of Nortend. It was Sir Edin that said in this very place, in 1899, that 'We who commune with the state's church and receive the grace of God thereby, must expect to and indeed do to our utmost to support the holy institution'. Though it may be argued that the late right hon. Gentleman was indeed referring to more physical or spiritual support, it cannot be denied that monetary support is a crucial element for the preservation and upliftment of the Church. I do apologise, Mr Speaker, for I appear to have strayed somewhat from the question. Now, the Government would very much like to reduce the upper limit for the church tax, as we do prefer to reduce taxes rather than raise them despite my loyalties to His Majesty's Treasury and Exchequer which may preclude my saying that I dislike taxes entirely–
Hon. members on the left laugh
Mr Speaker—Order.
Mr Fitzgerald—Thank you, Mr Speaker, I do not dislike taxes entirely because I recognise that they are essential to the running of the State and Government. The church tax is required to help pay for the maintenance of our nation's great cathedrals, abbeys, priories and churches and for the payment of the thousands of clergymen that run the church behind the scenes. Parochial rates or tithes have increasingly been diverted away from the maintenance of the church and clergy towards schemes beneficial to the community at large, such as the hundreds of almshouses in parishes across the country, and in the giving of alms to the poor and needy. Without church tax, our religious buildings would indeed fall down and our holy men would starve to death. I am sure the hon. Gentleman will recall that our programme announced before the election mentioned reducing the church tax by threepence given that populations were expected to rise to counter its effect. However, the Government is proud to announce that our population has remained stable, with growth in souls reduced from the predicted 1·0 per cent to only less than 0·3 per cent in the past year. This is something the Government has worked very hard in achieving, through measures taken by my right hon. friend the First Member for Hexmeadbay as Master of the Board of Health to reduce infant mortality and birth rate to a stable level, as well as through extensive public awareness programmes undertaken in the less reputable areas of the country in exterminating fornication, night-working and wanton knowledge amongst the lower classes. Unfortunately though, as a consequence, the government is unable to proceed for a case to reduce the church tax by threepence as originally planned; however, it is considering reducing the chimney tax payable by sixpence to sixpencepence from the present shilling.
Mr Allan—Chimney tax is payable monthly on every chimney for houses with more than two chimneys. Why is this essential in the first place? Surely the Treasury can survive without a few measly shillings? Some hon. members in government may suggest that it aims to reduce fuel consumption. No, the excise on coal takes care of that. In fact, the chimney tax is intended to raise money for the Government. Reducing the chimney tax reduces the tax burden on whom? On the wealthy and middle classes. The poor do not have three, four, five chimneys; they have one. They do not pay chimney tax in the first place and rarely hold the freeholds of their house anyway. What is the rationale for halving the chimney tax for the landed and wealthy?
Mr Fitzgerald—I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question and invite him to consider why the former right hon. member for Redwick in his party introduced the tax in the first place in the 1950s! This government is looking at reducing the chimney tax because it will mean chimneys currently blocked up may now be unblocked. People will be able to enjoy using fireplaces freely once more without fear of losing a pound and four shillings a year for the privilege of having two unblocked chimneys in their houses. The Government believes twelve shillings a year for two chimneys is a more reasonable cost to bear for freeholders and tenants, who overwhelmingly are saddled with the burden of building taxes by their landlords in any case.

The Assistant to the Postmaster General was asked
On accessibility to the post

Mr Edmund Leeves, Knight for Merst South, Scodeliers—How is he and the Government working to ensure that all members of the community have reliable and convenient access to the postal system?
Mr Henry Fabing (The Assistant to the Postmaster General), for Sulhampton, Scodeliers—My hon. friend has direct first-hand experience of how poor access to the entire postal system can lead to sad consequences. He has told me in a previous meeting of the story of an elderly spinster who was unable to walk the three miles to the nearest post box when the local post box was removed for repairs. The lady desired to make contact with her long-lost sister, who had written to her in the autumn of 2010 desiring to establish whether they were indeed sisters. The lady knew immediately from the other lady's photograph, which matched a photograph in a photograph album she had inherited, and wrote a letter, waiting for the post box to be replaced for her to post. The post box was not replaced for over two years and when it was, the lady was able to finally post her letter. Tragically, it turned out that her sister had died only a few months earlier unknown to her and not knowing that she had indeed discovered her blood kin at last. Such a tale, though rare, highlights how important it is that every member of society is able to access the post, which for many people living in rural areas, is the only way of contacting far off relations, friends, acquaintances or business. The Government has been working to ensure that when post boxes are replaced when they damaged, stolen or otherwise needing replacement, they are replaced in a timely fashion. Furthermore, the Government has recently introduced a trial of a scheme suggested by the postmistress of Lutton Dogfield, Mrs Alice Saunders, where postmen, in addition to their usual duties of delivering the letters and parcels, call upon the elderly, weak or vulnerable weekly to sell stamps, aerogrammes, envelopes, stationery and to collect letters or parcels to be posted. The trial started last month in the parishes of Lutton Dogfield, Standleton, Cogsworth-on-Street and Lower Cogsworth and will run for six months.
Mr Leeves—I thank Mrs Saunders for her excellent idea and the Assistant to the Postmaster General for remembering perfectly the tragic case of Miss Mary Ashley. I hope my hon. friend and the rest of this chamber will agree that the post is a national icon and that it is crucial for the community to be able to access it in a reliable way.
Members cry—Hear hear!

The Second Lord of Trade was asked
On support given to hat manufaturers

Mr Leslie Hall, for Metthews, Droughs—What steps are the Governement taking to give support to hat manufacturers during this drought of rabbit fur?
Sir William Gouldon (Second Lord of Trade), Knight for Enley West, Scodeliers—The recent scarcity of rabbit fur suitable for the use in the manufacture of felt hats is something on which the Government has been informed and a matter on which the Government is taking steps to support felt hat manufacturers. The Government will release its support plan in the coming weeks and I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 12 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:55 am

20TH OF OCTOBER
ANNO SEXTO DECIMO
ALEXANDRI REGIS

A Speech
On a Bill to amend the Offences Against The Person Act, 20 Alex. II p. 34 and to repeal the Hoeslaughter Act, 3 Edm. VI p. 3

Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—I move:
That the bill is to be read a second time.

The Second Reading
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—I seek leave to have this speech inscriben in the rolls.
Leave is granted

The speech readeth as followeth:
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Mr Speaker, this bill abolishes the archaic crime of hoeslaughter in Great Nortend. Hoeslaughter as a crime dates from the ancient kingdoms of these fair isles as a way of reducing or deterring the wanton destruction and murder of the innocent natives of these fair isles. We however, have come far as a single Kingdom and it is the belief of this Government that this crime ought to be abolished.

This crime is superfluous to our civil society. Not for many centuries have rampant and unreasoned desires to slay the peoples with whom we live nowadays freely been entertained and we should shudder at the very thought indeed. There is no need or place at all within our law for the murder of any person to be considered different from the murder of another. Whereas petty squabbles and differences between our native Hoes and others may occasionally erupt, murder is still murder, no matter the race of mankind to which the person belongs.

The recent case of Hulmes v Rex, heard in the King's Bench, emphasises my point. Mr Hulmes was at the first instance at the Assizes convicted of the hoeslaughter of the late Mrs Sinode Oclard and sentenced to death. He applied for a writ of certiorari from the King's Bench, where on appeal he was successful on the grounds that Mrs Oclard was 'not of good character' and that he had a 'willing need' for her death as a Hoe. This is a clear disaster for justice, if a man may go free from the abominable crime of murder, on the text of a staute dating to the 16th century. It is not the place or time to go into the horrid details of this case, as the Crown has appealed to the court superior, however it is a good example of the real and pressing need for reform of this area.

This bill will easily and simply abolish the Hoeslaughter Act, 1570, as well as remove all references to hoeslaughter from the Offences against the Person Act, 1888. After the passage and assenting to of this bill, the crime of hoeslaughter shall no longer exist in this Dominion and any killings of Hoes by people not of the Hoebric race shall be determined according to the law of murder, manslaughter or the like. I urge all of the honourable members of these houses to support this bill.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 am

30th of January, 2019

The King's Clerk was asked
On the Prohibitions Amendment Bill

Mr Vernon Wegg, for Cadell, Droughs—Will the King's Clerk tell the members of this honourable place whether this bill will help facilitate the dreadful acts of Mohammedan terrorism seen in other countries?
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Thank you, Mr Speaker. I am adamant in telling this place that the Government is totally opposed and opposes in the most severe of tones acts of violence, terror or destruction in the name of any religion, and in light of recent events in the last few years, especially those done in by Mohammedans in the name of their prophet Mohammed and God. Mr Speaker, this bill seeks to only allow Mohammedan resident aliens to practise their faith whilst still residing in Great Nortend. The bill clearly outlines the establishment of a region of Cadell, specifically the Upper Ward, where they are permitted to live. Why does the hon. gentleman suggest in his question that Mohammedan resident aliens overtly residing in Great Nortend as Mohammedans would be inclined to any violent causes that would not manifest should they be required to practise their faith covertly, as it is currently? We accept that there is a risk in increased mobilisation or indoctrination into the particularly violent or virulent strains of the Mohammedan cult if Mohammedans are permitted to overtly declare themselves as such; however, the Government has proposed measures to counteract this, which, if the hon. gentlemen would be so inclined, is clearly stated in the third paragraph of the explanatory memorandum which he received on the bill.
Members on the right cry
Mr Wegg—Will the Clerk clarify to the chamber that the head priest, or imam as it is said here, will be appointed by the Crown?
Sir Aaron—I thank the hon. member for the question. The Government intends that the Imam of the Mosk of Cadell will be appointed by the Crown through Order-in-Council of His Majesty's Privy Council. The current policy, as formulated by Professour Zewty, is that the Imam will be required to swear the Oath of Allegiance upon the mutually shared holy books of Christianity and Mohammedanism, being the Jewish Torah and Psalter, and an Oath of Office requiring him to report any suspected wrongdoing or inclinations towards violence within his congregation to the Government.
Mr Wegg—What will the punishment be for any concealment of Mohammedan radicalisation?
Sir Aaron—As the hon. gentleman knows, breaking an oath administered according to the rules of oaths is perjury. The Imam will be required to swear the two oaths before the Clerk of the Privy Council, and thus breaking them may result in his being liable to prosecution for perjury.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 am

Allord College, Allord, ENLEY

It was a marvellous winter's Sunday dawn in the second week of the Easter term. Edwin Fraiser, a young newman in the second form at Allord woke to the sound of the bells tolling six o'clock. Laying in bed he said his prayers and, lighting a candle, saw that his room-mate was gone. That was normal, for Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, and to-day was a Sunday so Fraiser was not at all concerned. His fellow pupil, an Aaron de Coar, was a chorister in the choir, which required early rising on Sundays. Fraiser himself got up into the chilly air and dressed himself in his Sunday clothes: black tailcoat, ruffled shirt, stiff detachable collar, bow tie, grey trousers and the curious black short Allord hat, which was very much like a silk top hat in material but with the size and shape of a straw boater. Pulling on his gloves, he could hear the sounds of other boys walking rather noisily down the corridor. Checking the clock, he saw he had only ten minutes to get to chapel, thus so grasped his hat, exited his chambers and merged into the stiff-gaited stream of similarly dressed young gentlemen heading to chapel in the early morning darkness, as well as the odd master in trencher and gown rubbing his hands in the crisp and cool morning air.

Mattins at the college chapel was brilliantly lit with candles and lamps galore, and welcome change from the still-dark landscape outside. Fraiser sat next to Jones, a rather taller boy, in his usual pew. Each form had its own two pews, with the first form at the front and the upper sixth at the back, excepting the third form, known as the remove, which sat in the eastern transept, hence its name. Whispering to Jones, Fraiser said, 'How have you gone with Martins? De Cour and I were up until 9 last night going over my conjugations, but I still can't get through the subjunctive'.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:27 am

ANNO SEXTO DECIMO
ALEXANDRI REGIS

AN ACT

to amend the Act to further the maintenance of the established church public morals and spirituality, 13 Catherine II p. 21

The King thanketh his subjects and willeth it so.

OUR MOST EXCELLENT HIGH AND MIGHTY SOVEREIGN LORD

WHEREAS it is expedient to lessen intolerance towards those persons of proscribed religions or spiritual groups and to therefore permit the practice of certain otherwise proscribed religions or spiritual groups by those persons whose presence within the realm shall be deemed by the King's most Excellent Majesty in Council advantageous

WE your Majesty's most loyal subjects the Lords Spiritual and Temporal Burgesses Knights and other Suitours of Parliament in this present Court assembled most humbly beseech your Majesty that it be enacted that :—

(SECTION I.) Upon the day after which the Act receives the King's most Excellent Majesty's Assent, the provisions in Schedule I to the Act beginning on Page Twenty-One of the Vellum Rolls of the Thirteenth Year in the Reign of Her late Majesty Queen Catherine the Second being entitled “An Act to further the maintenance of the established church public morals and spirituality” shall alter the text of law in the said Act as enacted and proclaimed.

SCHEDULE I

Of the Act to further the maintenance of the established church, public morals and spirituality, 13 Catherine II p. 21:

i. Section V(3)
Omit “sell, ” and “or in his shop”

ii. After Section V(3),
Insert the following: “(3a) sell or have in his shop except when on his person or for his personal use any supposed holy text, book, literature, image, icon or other document of such a religion or spiritual group, or”

iii. After Section V,
insert the following:
V A. Lawful excuse for adherents to the heretical cult of Mohammed
    (1) An exempted person shall have a lawful excuse for the purposes of subsections (2) and (3) in Section V.
    (2) An alien resident within the King's Dominions, that is an adherent to the heretical cult of Mohammed, shall be deemed an exempted person if the King in Council with shall so declare him to have a lawful cause for the purposes of Section V in accordance with law.
    (3) The King in Council may only declare any alien to have a lawful cause for the purposes of Section V if:
      i. the alien is normally resident within the walls of the City of Cadell, inclusive of the Inner Ward, or
      ii. the King in Council is otherwise satisfied that by doing so the integrity of the Realm, his Peace, public order and the safety of His Majesty's subjects shall not be impaired.
    (4) An exempted person may not enter any church or chapel without disclosing his religion and receiving the permission of the ordinary thereof or of his delegate.
    (5) If an exempted person shall change his place of residence, he shall within one week notify the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown, and if he does not, shall automatically be no longer deemed an exempted person.
    (6) The King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall be able to declare an exempted person to be no longer an exempted person for any reason.
    (7) If any exempted person shall be indicted or presented for any felony or misdemeanour, he shall no longer be an exempted person.
    (8) An exempted person shall not wear or be habited in any religious or spiritual habit, garb or clothing that covers the majority of the face, or that resembles the habit of a monk, friar, nun or sister of the Church of Nortend.

V B. Establishment of a mosk
    (1) A mosk of the cult of Mohammed, to be named the “Mosk of Cadell”, may be established by the King in Council, within the Ward of Chantry in the City of Cadell.
    (2) If such a mosk be established:
      i. the King in Council shall appoint a leader of the mosk during the King's Pleasure, and he
      ii. shall be required to take the Oath of Allegiance and Oath of General Office, and
      iii. shall at all time seek to preserve the King's Peace, and
      iv. shall be required if he receives knowledge of any plan or devious mechanation or has reason to believe that any person has such knowledge, to inform as soon as reasonably possible the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown of such knowledge or belief, and
      v. if he shall be an adherent to the cult of Mohammed, shall be deemed to be an exempted person for the purposes of Section V A during the time which he shall be appointed, and for one year and a day thereafter.

V C. Provisions relating to the mosk
    (1) If the mosk, whose establishment is provided for in Section V B, is so established, only exempted persons authorised to engage in religious activities therein or with relation to it by the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall engage in any religious activities therein or with relation to it.
    (2) The King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall have the power to make any regulations not repugnant to law relating to the operations of the mosk.
    (3) A warranted constable of the parish or police constable or one of the King's justices or a warden of the peace shall have the power to enter the mosk and expel any person therein for the preservation of the King's Peace.

Last edited by Great Nortend on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:19 am, edited 7 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 am

GUIDE TO LENDERT-WITH-CADELL—TRANSPORT

The City has numerous convenient services which aid greatly in easing the transport of persons whithersoever they wish to go. For transport within the City proper, there are three options for a visitor, being the tram, the omnibus, the train, and the cabriolet. Canal-boat traffic within the City itself has greatly dwindled in the last few decades, and need nothing but a cursory overview. Omnibus are not normally permitted to enter into, pick up or set down passengers within the City proper either. We shall hereinunder discuss each respectively in turn, in any case.

The Tram
The City's tramways are one of the internationally recognised symbols of the city. Despite tramways being common through Great Nortend, it is for some peculiar reason that it is Lendert-with-Cadell which should be attached so inextricably to the notion of these human conveyances in the mind of the foreign man. The City proper is well-serviced by the trams, which are painted in their distinctive red-and-cream colour scheme. When the change to electric tramcars in the middle of the 20th century was announced, there was controversy owing to the deleterious effect the erection of overhead wires for the propulsion of electric tramcars had had on the aesthetic and visual appeal of cities and boroughs across the country. In the City, however, it has been largely mitigated by the use of underground channel conduit for the transmission of current, and legislation has been enacted to require future electrification to be achieved through such systems, where possible.

For the visitor to the City, maps of the tramway network may be obtained either beforehand by writing to the City Tramway Office, or if inconvenient, enquiry through one's travelling agent. Otherwise, maps may be purchased for a farthing each at major City railway stations and from the tram brakeman. Single tickets may be bought from the brakeman, charged based on distance. Tickets are small cards, and the brakeman will punch a hole for the destination stop. Fares usually range from halfpenny to sixpence, depending on distance.

Trams are often bumpy and un heated in the winter. Visitors are advised to hold on tight to the rails if not seated, as it is very easily for one to lose one's footing and injure oneself. The first floor of a double-decker tram can be exceedingly unstable, and standing is strongly advised against.

The Train
The Underground Railway has been a greatly popular service ever since it opened in the 19th century. Now mostly electric, it caters towards longer distance travel in the immediate vicinity of the City rather than travel within the City proper itself. However, for travel across the city, say to change trains from the Saint-le-Cross terminus of the Eastern Railway to the Halton Street terminus of the Lendert and Limmes Railway, a 2½ mile journey on the Underground and City Railway is ideal, taking less than five minutes compared to the fifteen or more minutes required by tram in the congested inner City.

Ticketing is as per the standard Board of Railways ticketing system (BORTS), purchasable at booking offices anywhere in the country. Mechanical machines for tickets exist at the major City stations as well, receiving a ticket upon insertion of the correct number and type of coins. Tickets must be surrendered upon arrival to a ticket collector.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:20 am

TIPSTAFF : Hark ye and be upstanding; the Honourable Justice Sir Frederic de Ledger, one of His Majesty's Justices.

All rise. Ledger J. enters and bows. All bow.

TIPSTAFF : All persons have business before this honourable Court are commanded to draw nigh and they shall be heard. Gᴏᴅ save the King. Pray be seated.

All are seated

LEDGER J. : Mr. Tipstaff, make proclamation for silence.
TIPSTAFF : Hark ye, His Majesty's Justice doth strictly charge and command all manner of persons to keep silence, upon pain of imprisonment.
LEDGER J. : In re Rex versus Blewitt, I now take attendances. If you will, Mr. Stewart...
MR. STEWART : If your Lordship pleases, I attend on command of the Crown. My learned friend Mr. Hardcastle attends on behalf of the accused, Mr. Blewitt. I present a billa vera of the jurata comitatus of the County of Essingfordshire upon the indictment of the Prisoner upon one charge of interference with the King's Mails.

Mr. Stewart passes the indictment to the Tipstaff who passes it to Ledger J.

LEDGER J. : Arraign the accused, Mr Clerk.

Ledger J. passes the indictment to the Clerk

CLERK (Looking at the accused in the Dock) : Is thy name James Richard Peter Blewitt?
BLEWITT : It is.
CLERK : James Blewitt, thou standest indicted by the name of James Richard Peter Blewitt, late of Manly House in the manor of Copingsaw in the hundred of Outonbury and county of Essingfordshire, for thou, not having the fear of Gᴏᴅ before thine eyes, but being moved and seduced by the instigation of the devil, on the 8th day of August in the 17th year of the reign of our sovereign Lord Alexander the Second, by the Grace of Gᴏᴅ, of Nortend and Hambria King, with force and arms at the manor aforesaid in the hundred aforesaid in the county aforesaid, in the peace of God and of our said sovereign Lord the King, feloniously, voluntarily and of thy malice afore-thought didst make interference with the Royal Mails of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King; and that thou, the aforesaid James Blewitt, didst with implements on and upon the street posting box of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King feloniously, voluntarily, and of thy malice afore-thought, cause the door of the aforementioned street posting box to open, and that thou the aforesaid James Blewitt, didst then and there feloniously, voluntarily and of thy malice afore-thought capture and asport one article of the Royal Mails of our said sovereign Lord the King, against the said peace of God and of our said sovereign Lord the King, his Crown and dignity.

To the aforementioned indictment having being certified a billa vera by the jurata comitatus of thy countymen, how sayest thou, James Blewitt? Art thou filed of the felony whereof thou standest indicted, or not filed?
BLEWITT : Not filed.
CLERK : How sayeth the Crown?
STEWART : Filed. The Crown prayeth to join issue on the indictment.
CLERK : James Blewitt, dost thou join issue on His Majesty's indictment?
MR. HARDCASTLE : Mr. Clerk, Mr. Blewitt joineth issue on the Crown's indictment.
CLERK : James Blewitt, how wilt thou be tried?
BLEWITT : I put myself upon God and my county.
CLERK : Gᴏᴅ send thee a good deliverance.

LEDGER J. : I think we ought to proceed immediately to trial, unless cause be shewn to the contrary.
STEWART : I have no such cause, my Lord.
HARDCASTLE : Neither have I, my Lord.
LEDGER J : Then, Mr. Clerk, imprison the accused at the Bar.
CLERK : Thou James Blewitt, now His Majesty's Prisoner at the Bar, shalt hear called these men who personally appearing shall pass between our sovereign Lord the King and thee, upon trial of thy free life; if thou wilt challenge them, or any of them, thou mustest speak unto them as they come to the Book to be sworn, before they be sworn. Mr. Tipstaff, call the jurata parva.
TIPSTAFF : Hark ye good men that are impanelled to try between our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner at the Bar, answer to your name and save your fines.
LEDGER J. : Mr. Blewitt, you have the free liberty to challenge twelve of the jurors without shewing cause.
CLERK : Henry Woodstock.
TIPSTAFF : He appeareth.

And so the twelve jurors enter, none being challenged.

CLERK : Ye jurors, take the Book and look at the Prisoner. Thou Prisoner, look upon the jurors. Ye and each of you shall well and truly try, and true deliverance make between our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner at the Bar whom ye shall have in charge, and a true verdict give according to the evidence. So help you Gᴏᴅ.

Jurors say “So help me Gᴏᴅ”.

CLERK : Mr. Tipstaff, count the jurors.
TIPSTAFF : Mr. Clerk, twelve good men and true. Gentlemen, are ye all sworn?
LEDGER J. : Mr. Tipstaff, make proclamation for information.
TIPSTAFF : Hear ye; if any man can inform His Majesty's justices, serjeants, attorneys, solicitors, advocates or proctors, before this trial be taken before our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner of the Bar, of any treason, forsteal, murder, felony or other misdemeanour, committed or done by the Prisoner of the Bar, come forth, and ye shall be heard, for the Prisoner standeth at the Bar, upon his deliverance; and all persons bound by their recognisance to prosecute him, come forth, and prosecute, or ye will forfeit your recognisance.
CLERK : Gentlemen of the jury, look upon the Prisoner and hearken unto his charge. He stands indicted by the name of James Richard Peter Blewitt, late of Manly House in the manor of Copingsaw in the hundred of Outonbury and county of Essingfordshire, for he, not having the fear of Gᴏᴅ before his eyes, but being moved and seduced by the instigation of the devil, on the 8th day of August in the 17th year of the reign of our sovereign Lord Alexander the Second, by the Grace of Gᴏᴅ, of Nortend and Hambria King, with force and arms at the manor aforesaid in the hundred aforesaid in the county aforesaid, in the peace of God and of our said sovereign Lord the King, feloniously, voluntarily and of thy malice afore-thought did make interference with the Royal Mails of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King; and that he, the aforesaid James Blewitt, did with implements on and upon the street posting box of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King feloniously, voluntarily, and of his malice afore-thought, cause the door of the aforementioned street posting box to open, and that he the aforesaid James Blewitt, did then and there feloniously, voluntarily and of his malice afore-thought capture and asport one article of the Royal Mails of our said sovereign Lord the King, against the said peace of God and of our said sovereign Lord the King, his Crown and dignity.

Upon this indictment he hath been arraigned, and thereupon hath pleaded unfiled; and for his trial hath put himself upon Gᴏᴅ and his county, which county ye are. Your charge is to enquire whether he be filed of the felony in manner and form as he stands indicted, or not filed. If ye find him filed, ye shall enquire what goods, chattels, lands or tenements he had at the time of the felony committed, or at any time since. If ye find him not filed, ye shall enquire whether he fled for the same. If ye find that he did flee for the same, ye shall enquire of his goods and chattels, as if ye had found him filed, and that he did not flee for the same, say so, and no more. And hear your evidence.

Here beginneth the trial.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 am, edited 21 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 am

M E D I C A L  A L M S
Provided by the Lord High Almoner under the
Public Alms Service.

The Lord High Almoner provides all eligible Subjects with Medical Alms in accordance with the Lord High Almoner's Act 18 Edmund IX p. 44 as part of the Public Alms Service. Subjects who are entitled to Full Alms, such as those receiving Poor Alms or Common Alms are also entitled to Full Medical Alms. Subjects not entitled to Ordinary Alms are still eligible for Medical Alms up to 50 per cent. All other Subjects who are entitled to a percentage in between based on their entitlement to Ordinary Alms.

In order to be entitled to Medical Alms, You must register with your chosen local Physician to get your Medical Alms booklet, the which will entitle You to coverage of fees and charges up to the Scheduled Fee for services covered by Medical Alms, as provided for in the Lord High Almoner's Rules. Note that the Scheduled Fee depends on your Alms entitlement. Medical Alms cover most Consultations, Treatments, Surgeries, Hospital Services, Nursing Services and Ambulance Services, as well as most commonly prescribed Medicaments, Drugs and Appliances. This includes some forms of Dentistry and Eye services.

To receive a Medical Alms subsidy for a service, an Alms Claim form in your booklet must be filled in by the Provider of the service, be it the physician, surgeon, sister, spectacle-maker, apothecary or ambulanceman. This must be filled out in triplicate and one copy posted to the Lord High Almoner. Another copy should be retained by the Provider, and the final copy is retained by You. If the Provider is registered with the Lord High Almoner, he may receive a subsidy cheque in the Post directly made out to him. Depending on your level of coverage, You will need to pay the Provider the balance of the fee. Otherwise, a subsidy cheque will be posted and made out to You to recompense you as you likely will have been obliged to pay the Provider personally the entire charged fee at the time of receiving the service.

Although Medical Alms are available for all Subjects regardless of Subscription payments, they are not free charity. They are paid for by H. M. Treasury, principally from the revenue taxpayers like You pay into the Exchequer. If You are able to pay your own way for medical services, even partially, the collective burden on the Treasury will be lessened. However, if you are unable to pay, there is no need to worry, for the Lord High Treasurer will insure that You are well looked after for your medical needs through the Medical Alms service. Note that intentionally claiming Medical Alms subsidies with a fraudulent intent is a felony.

Printed for the Board of Information on behalf of the Lord High Almoner.
His Majesty's Printer. 1d each; 6d per doz.
  
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 am

Last edited by Great Nortend on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 am

18th of November, Michaelmas, 16 Alexander II

The Gentleman Equerry was asked
On the advertisement of Bananas

Mr. John Hallinger, Knight for Barminstershire North Riding, Scodeliers—Will The Honourable Gentleman of the Horse tell these Houses how the Government is supporting the farmers of the North Riding of Barminstershire in the face of the increasing popularity of bananas imported from tropical republics abroad?
Mr. George Davis (The Gentleman Equerry), for Porthawley, Scodeliers—Thank you, Mr. Speaker. We in this place are all too well aware of the increasing assault on honest Erbonian orchard and market garden fruit produce by fruit goods from the heated tropics. This is no better epitomised than in the rapid rise in popularity of the curious yellow fruit which the honourable gentleman refers to. The Crown, under its prerogative powers, last fortnight presented to His Majesty for assent a number of measures aimed at supporting our farmers, orchard-men and market gardeners. Among these measures, the Government will impose a new one and fourpence excise per greengrocer's stone on all bananas and certain other tropical fruit goods, excluding oranges and lemons, imported from abroad.
Mr. Hallinger—Will these fruit goods be marked, so that my constituents know that they are foreign goods?
Mr. Davis—No, Sir. The fruit themselves will likely not be marked, at least not by the Government. However, the crates out of which greengrocers sell such fruit will be required to bear labels of origin, as well as excise stamps.

His Majesty's Clerk of State was asked
On safeguards for capital sentence

Mr. Harold Allan, Knight for the West Riding of Barminstershire, Droughs—Will this Government introduce greater safeguards for passage of capital sentences, in the light of the recent acquittal of Mr. E. Muschamp after new evidence was brought to light in the case of the forestal of Miss Lucy Gibbs?
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—I thank the honourable gentleman for his perspicacious question. As honourable members will have undoubtedly read, a great miscarriage of justice was averted last month by His Majesty's refusal to grant a writ of suspenditur et trahitur in the case which the honourable gentleman mentioned, after a highly reliable witness came forth with fresh evidence which led to Mr. Muschamp's acquittal of the heinous crime wherewith he was initially convicted.

The office of my right honourable and right reverend lord, the Lord High Chancellour, is presently draughting an Order in Chancery to restrict the issuance of writs of suspenditur and its variants. Presently, the jury must return a verdict of “filed convict” in a capital crime which has been tried in a royal court for the judge to be able to request issue of such writs, and indeed in high felonies, the only possible sentence is death. The Order in Chancery will reiterate that jurors be told that if there is any doubt whatsoever in their minds as to whether the accused did that which he has been indicted or presented or informed so to have done, or if they believe the accused in the circumstances is not deserving of death, they must give a verdict of clean acquit or filed acquit respectively. That is to say, to remind them that the burden of proof in capital cases is beyond all doubt, and not merely beyond reasonable doubt. This is already customary practice in His Majesty's courts; however, the Order will ensure that it is made a legal requirement. Furthermore, jurors will be now required by law in capital cases to individually announce their verdict. The foreman shall no longer be called upon to give the verdict of the jury. Rather, each juryman shall be reminded of his oath to try the matter and then be called upon to give his verdict orally. This is a presently allowed at the judge's discretion; however, upon promulgation of this Order, it shall be made a requirement.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:44 am, edited 7 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:45 am

ORDER OF SERVICE FOR MATTINS
Tuesday, the 3rd of December, A.D. 2019.

PRECES
℣ : Domine labia mea aperies,
℟ : Et os meum adnuntiabit laudem tuam.

℣ : Deus in adjutorium meum intende
℟ : Domine ad adjuvandum me festina

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto.
Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, in sæcula sæculorum.
Amen.
Alleluia

INVITATORY
Ant. : Regem venturum : Dominum.
Ps. : Venite ...

HYMN
Verbum supernum prodiens
A Patre olim exiens
Qui natus orbi subvenis
Cursu declivi temporis.

Illumina nunc pectora
Tuoque amore concrema
Audito ut preconio
Sint pulsa tandem lubrica

Judexque cum post aderis
Rimari facta pectoris :
Reddens vicem pro adbitis
Justisque regnum pro bonis

Non demum artemur malid
Pro qualitate criminis :
Sed cum beatis compotes,
Simus perhennes celibes.

Laud honor virtus gloria.
Deo Patri et Filio :
Sancto simul Paraclito
In sempiterna sæcula. Amen.

PSALM
Ant. : Ut non delinquam.
Ps. : Domine, ne in furore ... (Ps. vi)
Ps. : Domine, Deus meus ... (Ps. vii)

℣: Egredietur virga de radíce Jesse.
℟: Et flos de radice ejus ascendet.

LESSON I
Isaiah II, vv. i — iv
℟ : Suscipe verbum virgo.

EGO DIXI

LESSON II
Isaiah II, vv. v — ix
℟ : Salvatorem expectamus

HYMN

Vox clara ecce intonat,
Obscura queque increpat :
Pellantur eminus somnia,
Ab ethre Christus promicat.

Mens jam resurgat torpida :
Que sorde extat saucia :
Sydus refulget jam novum,
Ut tollat omne noxium.

E sursum Agenus mittitur,
Laxare gratis debitum :
Omnes pro indulgentia
Vocem demus cum lachrimis.

Secundo ut cum fulseit,
Mundumque horror cinxerit :
Non pro reatu puniat,
Sed pius nos tunc protegat.

Laus honor virtus gloria,
Deo Patri et Filio :
Sacto simul Paraclito
In sempiterna sæcula. Amen.

℣: Vox clamantis in deserto.
℟: Parate viam Domini : rectas facite semitas Dei nostri.

LESSON III
Isaiah II, vv. x — xvi
℟ : Audite verbum Domine gentes.

BENEDICTUS
Ant. : Leva Hierusalem oculos et vide potenciam regis : ecce salvator venit solvere te a cinvulo.
Cant. : Benedictus ... (Luke I, vv. lxviii — lxxix)

CREDO

℣: Dominus vobiscum.
℟: Et cum spiritu tuo.
℣: Oremus.

COLLECT
Excita quesumus Domine potentiam tuam et veni :
ut ab imminentibus peccatorum nostrorum periculis
te mereamur protegente eripe te liberante salvari :
Qui vivis et regnas cum Deo Patre in unitate Spiritus Sancti Deus.
Per omnia sæcula sæculorum. Amen.

PRECES
℣: Ad te levavi oculos meos.
℟: Qui habitas in cœlis
℣: Kyrie eleison.
℟: Christe eleison.
℣: Kyrie eleison.

Pater noster, qui es in cœlis,
Santificetur Nomen tuum.
Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua, Sicut in cœlo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie.
Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
Sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Confiteor Deo, beate Marie, omnibus sanctis.
Et vobis peccavi nimis :
cogitatione locutione, et opera, mea culpa.
Precor danctam Mariam et omnes sactos Dei.
Et vos orare pro me.

Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus
Qui non vult mortem peccatoris,
Sed potius ut se ab impietate sua avertat, et vivat;
Et dimittat vobis omnia peccata vestra :
Liberet vos ab omni malo :
Conservet et confirmet in bono
Et ad vitam perducat æternam. Amen.

Absolutionem et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum,
Spacium vere penitentie, emendationem vite, gratiam et consolationem Sancti Spiritus :
Tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus. Amen.

℣: Domine, Ostende nobis misericordiam tuam :
℟: Et salutare tuum da nobis.

℣: Domine, salvum fac regem :
℟: Et exaudi nos in die qua invocaverimus te.

℣: Domine, salvum fac populum tuum :
℟: Et benedic hæreditati tuae.

℣: Domine, exaudi orationem meam :
℟: Et clamor meus ad te veniat.

ORDER OF SERVICE FOR MATTINS (ENGLISH)
Tuesday in the Third Sunday of Advent,
December 3rd, A.D. MMXIX.

PRECES
℣ : O Lord, open thou my lips.
℟ : And my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
℣ : O God make speed to save me.
℟ : O Lord make haste to help me.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be; world without end.
Amen.
Alleluya

INVITATORY
Ant. : The Lord, the King who is to come. † O come, let us worship.
Ps. : O come, let us sing unto the Lord ...

PSALM
Ant. : The night is far spent, the day is at hand :
let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
Ps. : O Lord my God, in thee have I put my trust ... (Ps. VII·I)

Ant. : Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep, and withour eyes open to arise unto Christ :
for he is the true light gleaming in heaven.
Ps. : The Lord shall judge the people ... (Ps. VII·II)

Ant. : Rejoice in the Lord always; let your moderation be known unto all men :
the Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer let your requests be made known unto God.
Ps. : O Lord our Governor ... (Ps. VIII)

Ant. :
Ps. : O praise God in his holiness (Ps. CL)

HYMN
TO earth descending, Word sublime,
Begotten ere the days of time,
Who cam’st a Child, the world to aid,
As years their downward course display’d.

2 Each breast be lighten’d from above,
Each heart be kindled with thy love;
That we, who hear thy call to-day,
At length may cast earth’s joys away.

3 That so, when thou, our Judge, art nigh,
All secret deeds of men to try,
Shalt mete to sin pangs rightly won,
To just men joy for deeds well done,

4 Thy servants may not be enchain’d
By punishment their guilt has gain’d:
But with the blessed evermore
May serve and love Thee, and adore.

5 Praise, honour, might and glory be,
From age to age eternally,
To God the Father, God the Son,
And God the Holy Ghost all one. Amen.

LESSON I
May the everlasting Father bless us with perpetual blessing.

Old Testament Lesson

℟ : Receive the Word, O Virgin Mary, which is send thee by the Angel from the Lord, Thou shalt conceive by ear, and bring forth him who is God and man.
† And thou shalt be called blessed among all women.
℣ : Thou a maiden undefiled shalt bear for us the Holy Child. This grace is given alone to thee, a virgin and mother both to be
℟ : † And thou shalt. &c.

LESSON II
May the Creator of all things bless us now and forever.

New Testament Lesson

℟ : R. O Jerusalem, thy salvation cometh quickly; why art thou wasted with sorrow? Is there no counsellor in thee, that pangs have taken thee?
† Fear not, for I will save thee and deliver thee.
℣ : For I am the Lord, thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour.
℟ : † Fear not. &c.

LESSON III
May the kindly Spirit cleanse us without and within.

Homily from the Fathers

℟ : Christ our King shall come. † He whom John preached, the Lamb who is to come.
℣ : Behold the Lamb of God; behold him which taketh away the sins of the world.
℟ : † He whom. &c.
℣ : Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
℟ : Christ our King. &c.

BENEDICTUS
Ant. : Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee :
blessed art thou among women. Alleluya.
Cant. : Blessed be ...

LITANY

℣: Lord have mercy upon us.
℟: Christ have mercy upon us.
℣: Lord have mercy upon us.

Our Father ... Amen.

V. I said, O Lord, be merciful unto me.
R. Heal my soul, for I have sinned against thee.
V. Turn thee again, O Lord, at the last.
R. And be gracious unto thy servants.
V. O Lord, shew thy mercy upon us.
R. And grant us thy salvation.
V. Clothe thy Priests with righteousness.
R. And make thy saints sing with joyfulness.
V. O Lord, save the Queen.
R. And hear us when we call upon thee.
V. O Lord, save thy people.
R. And bless thine inheritance.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

COLLECTS
O LORD, we beseech thee, incline thine ear to our prayer, and enlighten the darkness of our minds by the grace of thy visitation; who livest and reignest with God the Father in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

O ALMIGHTY God, who hast safely brought us to the beginning of this day : defend us in the same with thy mighty power; and grant that this day we fall into no sin, neither run into any kind of danger; but that all our doings may be ordered by thy governance, to do alway that is righteous in thy sight; though Jesus Christ thy Son, our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.
V. Let us bless the Lord.
R. Thanks be to God.

THE grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Ghost, be with us all evermore. Amen.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 am

March 16, Epiphany, MMXX

A Statement from His Majesty's Clerk

Mr. Speaker—I call upon His Majesty's Clerk to make a statement
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Thank you, Mr. Speaker. With your leave, I shall make a statement to update the Houses on the measures which His Majesty's Government took at the emergency sitting of the Privy Council last Saturday.

Honourable members will know that our nation is gripped in the throes of the vanguard of the Marimba flu. What started as a single case of pneumonia in Kuwazavkavan has blossomed into a world-wide outbreak. Millions have been infected, many have sadly died and many will die in the days, weeks and months to come. His Majesty's Government and the Cabinet led by my right honourable and noble friend the Lord High Treasurer [Sir Spencer de Stornton] has the responsibility of protecting our people, our fellow Erbonian subjects, and that is our sole goal.

At a special sitting of the Privy Council held at the Castle of Hameford in the presence of His Majesty the King and inter alia, members of the Cabinet, the Physician-General and the Surgeon-General, a Public Health Proclamation was made under the Public Health Act, which affirms the wide ranging powers of the Crown in such times of infectious disease outbreak. A copy of the proclamation has been tabled with the House Clerks.

I, with your leave Mr. Speaker, will give the Houses a brief over-view of the Proclamation's effect. The Proclamation imposes stringent inland quarantine measures on all persons present within His Majesty's realm of Nortend, Cardoby and Hambria. It as of now does not extend to St Parth and Hastica, and the Government will be seeking to pass legislation so amend the Public Health Act so as to extend.

Quarantine regions have been established across the country, generally corresponding to the boundaries of the existing hundreds. In each quarantine region a hospital shall be designated a quarantine hospital to which all suspected cases of Marimba asterovirus will be sent for treatment, observation and care. No person is permitted to leave his quarantine region without a passport stamped by a local warden of the peace, and valid reason provided. Currently, His Majesty's Government is not seeking to impose overly oppressive restrictions on travel and thus the list of valid reasons include for work or trade. It is hoped that unnecessary regional travel, such as for entertainment, socialising and the like, will be minimised. His Majesty's Stationery Office has begun printing emergency passports and stocks have been sent to every quarantine region for dispersal to wardens.

To enforce these new regulations, the Government has called upon servicemen from the Royal Army and Home Service, as well as senior members of His Majesty's Corps of Boy Cadets, to set up and man checkpoints along the borders of quarantine regions at roads, footpaths, canals, rivers and railway stations. Checkpoints will be manned from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. From 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. a night-curfew is imposed. In current circumstances, most home servicemen can expect to be on duty for three six-hour shifts a week and cadets for one six-hour shift weekly. Further information will be passed to servicemen and cadets down the chain of command.

It shall be a criminal offence for persons to leave or enter any quarantine region without lawful reason. Furthermore, it shall be a criminal offence not to disclose symptoms of the Marimba asterovirus to authorised officers when questioned. Under the Public Health Act, both crimes are to be rated as felonies subject to severe punishment. His Majesty's Government will not tolerate persons putting the country at risk for their own personal and selfish interests.

In the event of a public outbreak of Marimba asterovirus arising within a quarantine region, a localised epidemic shall be declared by three or more physicians therein. Thereupon, all egress and ingress of persons shall be forbidden except with special permission. Rationing will be put into place, and every person shall be required to register with their grocer, greengrocer, butcher and fishmonger for supply. Lenten abstinence, Mr. Speaker, will complicate some supply matters; however, the Government is quite sure that the nation has enough food to last through this crisis.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:47 pm

THE DIARY OF HUGHE FOLKER

Tuesday, September 29th
New Year's Day — Michaelmas

I didn't make any resolutions to day. It was too hard to choose. The fireworks last night were rather excellent though Richard burnt a hole in the sleeve of his new coat. Mrs. Curtbrook wasn't happy and said boys shouldn't stand so close to sparks. I thought that was unfair of her, since Richard didn't know the spark would fall there. It's a wonder the village didn't burn down with all of the sparks—I saw everyone with thatched rooves on the high street were watering the thatch before vespers since it hadn't rained for ages. The parade after church to day was a bit of a bore. I don't see what's so interesting about bushels of wheat and apples in funny shapes. Mr. Hart's float with the apple pyramid he always makes collapsed in front of Mr. Grange's shop and sent apples flying everywhere. Some of the cadets marching behind nearly tripped over them. I shouldn't have laughed because I'll be in the parade next year and I probably WOULD fall over. Only six more days until I go up to big school.

Wednesday, September 30th

Mr. Heavener came around to collect the rent this afternoon. Mother asked if he would like some cake. He had a cup of tea and a slice of apple cake. He forgot to collect the rent and had to come back again. I cleaned my satchel to day and oiled it and also polished my new school shoes. They are a bit big but I think I'll grow into them. I got them really shiny but then dulled them again. I don't want to look over the top.

Thursday, October 1st

Richard, Tom and I walked to Corking to day in the morning. We asked Peter if he wanted come with but he said he had a toothache. Peter's going to grammar school in Derham so he'll have to take the train. It took us an hour to walk to Corking. I'm not looking forward to walking two hours a day with a heavy satchel in the snow. Corking is a bit of a boring place. Father's put me down for an apprenticeship at the bakers' there when I turn fifteen. I don't know why I can't be my dad's apprentice. We picked up our new school caps and ties at the tailor and I also got my new coat for school. It's a bit big too but I shall grow into it. Mrs. Curtbrook has darned Richard's coat quite well—I couldn't see the hole at all. Mother cooked a roast to day. Only four more days!

Friday, October 2nd

Mother sent me out to catch some fish for supper. I only got three small fish. I hooked my knee and it bled a lot so I knocked on the Croosers' cottage. Mrs. Crooser put some mercury on it and a bandage and sent me on my way. I told Richard that a great fish had bitten me but he didn't believe me. He said there weren't any big fish in the Plossle, although that isn't quite true. Mother said that I should thank Mrs. Crooser. I will give her a card after church. Father made a fish pie for supper with my fish and potatoes.

Saturday, October 3rd

Went to choir practice this morning. The vicar got cross at Benjamin Prunty again when he kept yelling Hurrah after “Son, be of good cheer” in the Benedictus anthem. Went home. Richard came over after luncheon and we played with my stone block set. He brought his wooden blocks and we built a giant castle. It looked rather good. Then someone accidentally knocked over a pillar and it all collapsed, we weren't sure who did it. Father closed the bakery early because he had sold all out of bread. Went back to church and sang vespers. Benjamin Prunty wasn't there. Went home again, had supper, and will go to bed soon.

Sunday, October 4th
First of Michaelmas

It is getting dead cold in the mornings at church now. I think I should start wearing two pairs of socks at a time. The vicar and curate get thick black scarves to wear, whilst we choirboys only get a thin cassock and surplice. I asked Richard and he said his mother lets him wear a scarf underneath his cassock. I'm not sure if that's allowed. I saw Benjamin Prunty sitting in the pews though. I think Mr. Hutting has kicked him out of the choir. I forgot to write Mrs. Crooser a card, so I just said thank you to her instead. She gave me a halfpenny for being so polite. It isn't worth it being charitable it seems! Tomorrow is my first day at the big school. I will go to sleep earlier to day.

Monday, October 5th

Well to day was the first day of school. Mother woke me up very early. She helped me to put on my new uniform and tie my tie. She cooked me a big breakfast which was nice, but it was hard to eat it trying to stop stains on my new collar. My mother gave me sixpence for luncheon at school and gave me a kiss. I met Richard at the corner and we went down the Corking Road together. We got to school with plenty of time to spare. Tom Fields came up shortly afterwards, as well as some other boys from Partonstaid. We didn't really know what to do, so we just stood about and talked. At ten past eight, we went into chapel in houses and sat at the back in the pews for the first formers. After the prayers, the headmaster came out and spoke to us. He's called Mr. Thatchman and talked about this being important years of our life, that we should make the most of it, et cetera et cetera. Anyway, we sat there, quite confused about everything, and then we were dismissed to go to our first classes.
There are six classes a day, two before morning tea, another two before luncheon, and a final two before the end of school, each for around an hour. We are supposed to have English as our first class, but to day we went to meet our housemates. I am in Selwis's House, which included all of us boys from Partonstaid, Knetterham and Upper and Lower Loosing, so I knew many of the boys there already. The housemaster, Mr. Selwis, introduced himself and the House Prefect, Carl Smith, and House Captain, I think called Henry Bucker. We were given our school notebooks to fill in our timetables in. Smith (for we are to call the senior boys by surname) led us in some singing and taught us the School Anthem which I thought rather splendidly rousing.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am

24th of November, 19 Alexander II

The Master of the Board of Eduation was asked
On the number of lower class children attending grammar schools

Mr. Vernon Wegg, for Cadell, Droughs—Will the learned and right hon. Master tell the houses the number of lower class children attending grammar schools on senior bursaries and explain why the Government has not taken steps to increase this number.

Dr. Sir Thomas Welfuller (The Master of the Board of Education), for Chepingstow, Scodeliers—I am obliged, Mr Speaker. The Board of Education has yet to publish its end-of-year report on middle and senior schooling for the last academic year; however, I am informed by the Board clerks that the preliminary figures show that approximately 14,233 pupils enrolled in recognised grammar schools in the last term are of a self-declared lower class background based on statistics from the latest Exchequer Census published in Whitsun, 14 anno regni. I must warn these houses that this figure is based on self-declared class, and based on data which may be outdated.

In relation to senior bursaries, the Board of Education issues approximately 40,000 bursaries annually, paid out of annual appropriations from the Treasury up to £4,000,000. The Board does not have recent exact figures for how many of these 40,000 bursaries were paid out to lower class pupils; however, it was estimated in the Exchequer Census published in Whitsun, 9 anno regni, that approximately one third of these bursaries would have been granted to lower class pupils. This would mean approximately 13,333 lower class pupils received bursaries, slightly under the total number of lower class pupils estimated to be enrolled in recognised grammar schools by 900 pupils, who perhaps have had their studies financed by other means, such as school foundation or charitable bursaries or scholarships, or wealthy aunts, or loans.

I am concerned by the implications hon. gentleman's second question. Since the Coalition government took office, the total authorised value of bursaries has increased from £3,650,000 in 2005. This is a net increase in the value of senior bursaries, which have allowed poorer boys and girls a chance to attend a grammar school when they otherwise could not, even with the existing senior bursary. This clearly demonstrates the Government's commitment to the education of the lower classes.

However, the hon. gentleman perhaps worded his question unadvisedly, appearing to imply or at least allowing open the implication, that a greater number of lower pupils in the grammar schools is an ultimately desirable goal. This is, of course, not the aim of the Government, or the grammar schools themselves. Rather, senior bursaries and other associated forms of public charity for education are designed to allow for worthy pupils who can receive some benefit from an academic education to have the opportunity to flourish in a more academic environment when otherwise their family financial circumstances would prevent it. They are not designed to funnel lower class pupils into grammar schools for the sake of having poorer and commoner children amongst their social betters. The Government is committed to providing opportunities for children and all subjects who deserve a chance.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:09 pm

HIS MAJESTY’S GOVERNMENT’S POLICY
Outlined in Seven Points concisely for Public Information

1. Nationalist Service

There is no place in Great Nortend for those without loyalty to King and Country. Every effort in every facet of life shall be for the good of the Nation’s strength and cohesion. Every Subject has the duty to act to repel all Forces against the Country, and thus the Government requires all able men to Muster in the service of their Nation.

2. Peaceful Order

The Government imposes the King’s peaceful order on Society and Industry to provide the necessary framework for an efficient, flourishing Nation. Loyal Subjects shall strive to ensure their every deed maintains the peaceful order, and in doing so, shall support their own interests and those of their family, community and Nation.

3. Industry

Industry is organised to maximise the benefit to the Nation. The Government lays down the limits within which industry operates for the welfare of the Nation as a whole, for Private Enterprise like all endeavours, must not enrich the Individual at the expense of the Nation. Profit comes after Service, and therefore Workers serve the Nation by serving their master, and in so doing serve their own best interests.

4. Work and Wages

The Government recognising the scourge of vagrancy and unemployment maintains jobs through the checking of unfettered mechanisation which sweeps away honest jobs in the pursuit of the enrichment of the few. National demands are met by Nortish workers with high standards of living free from wage-cutting competition both domestically and abroad.

5. Agriculture and Land

Foreign foodstuffs and produce are excluded in favour of Nortish produce. The Government takes steps to ensure Home production comfortably meets National demand. Furthermore, the Nation’s Land must be used in the interest of the Nation to feed, clothe and house our Population, not for the benefit of others. The Government supports all landlords in directing their lands to the benefit of their Tenants and ultimately, the Nation.

6. Export and Trade

The Government’s policy is that Great Nortend buys from those who buy from Great Nortend. Nortish credit and capital shall be used for Nortish Industry, Producers and Consumer. Thus, to maintain the high standard of life so Nortishmen can consume the goods the Nation produces for itself, the Government excludes cheap foreign export goods which displace Nortish labour and reduce wages.

7. Public Alms

All Nortish Subjects deserve the Nation’s support when they are in need through no fault of their own. The Government therefore provides Public Alms for those in need. This ensures that the Nortish people are cared for in illness, housed and clothed, in order so that they may contribute to the Nation in the future or to repay stedfast and dutiful contribution through their life.

Printed for the Board of Information on behalf of the Lord High Treasurer’s Office.
His Majesty's Printer. 1d each; 6d per doz.
  
Last edited by Great Nortend on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 am

The Board of Education has issued these policies for the teaching of the liturgy in Catechism classes in Junior and Middle Schooling in preparation for Confirmation on Whitsun Day at the end of the Second Form at the age of 12.

It is expected by the Church that confirmands will have a good knowledge of the basic liturgy of the Church according to the Rite of Cardoby. Chaplains or schoolmasters shall diligently instruct their pupils in both the order of the liturgies of the Mass and the Offices, as well as the meaning and history thereof.

Pupils should study :—
The Church Calendar, the four terms and the twelve seasons.
The Book of Hours, Book of Masses and Book of Chaunts.
The order of the Hours of Mattins, Tierce, Vespers and Compline.
All 150 psalms, the ten Office canticles and the Te Deum and their role in the Hours.
The Paternoster, Gloria Patri and Ave Maria.
Common hymns for seasons throughout the year.
The order of the Mass.
The ordinary of the Mass.
The propers of the Mass.
And specifically the Mass Spiritus Domini of Whitsun Day.
How to sing plain chaunt.
Basic liturgical vestments, ornaments and architecture.

The Board of Education expects that pupils will be familiar with all 150 psalms and the Office canticles. They should be able to recite the Symbolum, the Pater noster, the Gloria Patri and the Ave Maria individually. They should also be able to sing with reference to the Book of Chaunts the ordinary of the Kyrie fons bonitatis Mass as used on Whitsun Day (i. e. the troped Kyrie, Gloria, Hagios and Agnus Dei) and the Orbis factor Mass as used on Sundays after Whitsun, as well as Credo I.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 am

CONFIRMATION
See also SUBJECTSHIP AND CITIZENSHIP.
The Church of Nortend recognises Confirmation as being one of the seven Sacraments, conferred by the imposition of hands or anointing, or both. Confirmation is generally required for a baptised person to receive other Sacraments lawfully, such as the Eucharist, Confession, Unction, Matrimony, and Holy Orders, except in times of necessity. It is therefore considered a rite of passage in Nortish society for children to be confirmed.

Nortish children are customarily confirmed at or after the age of 12, on Whit Sunday during Whitsun Term of the Second Form. They are catechised throughout their schooling for confirmation, as the Church of Nortend practises universal infant baptism. Confirmation occurs during the Mass entitled Spiritus Domini for Whit Sunday, and is held at the main church of an archdeaconry. Though confirmation is properly conferred by a bishop, archdeacons (of which there are one per deanery) in loco episcopi are granted the power to confirm. In this capacity, archdeacons wear a mitre representing the flames of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost.

During the rite of Confirmation, the confirmands are presented to the archdeacon of their deanery at the altar. Boys wear plain albes whilst girls wear white dresses and usually a floral wreath and veil. The archdeacon ritually examines the confirmands in the Catechism. Immediately following, if applicable, all take an oath of liegance to the Crown which entitles them to become Subjects of the Crown with its temporal privileges upon confirmation. Then, each confirmand comes forth and kneels before the archdeacon who lays his hand on the confirmand’s head, anoints his forehead with chrism and strikes his cheek. Thereby, the confirmand is confirmed and becomes a full member and subject of the Church and Crown.

Adults who have not been confirmed may also be confirmed during this rite.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am

MONASTIC and religious life in Great Nortend is part of the Government's “Steady State Policy” (note the pun) which aims to ensure a constant population, renewable resource use, and a stable economy.
The population policy promotes every married couple having between two and three children. Economic measures include grants of up to £250 for the first and second children, depending on income. The national birth rate is around 2·15, which is slightly above the replacement rate of 2·11. The annual “surplusage” of population is partially alleviated by the annual number of people entering monasteries and convents and becoming monks, minchens, friars and sisters, as well as those taking holy orders, who also cannot marry. This surplusage is further alleviated by the natural number of confirmed bachelors and spinsters.

Monastic and religious life is easier to an extent than in previous centuries. Only four offices are said daily (Mattins; one of Prime, Tierce, Sext or Nones; Vespers; Compline) instead of eight, along with the daily Mass. However, there is still much manual labour expected, especially for younger religious, elder members having graduated to “choir” status.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu May 06, 2021 7:58 am

HOUSING

LODGING
WHEN first arriving in Great Nortend, lodgings are available in a variety of forms. A room at a good hotel will cost around 20 shillings a night with breakfast and dinner, whereas rooms at a reputable inn may cost around 4 shillings a night with breakfast. Lodgers may also choose to board at a common lodging house with where prices vary from 6d a night for a shared bedroom and breakfast, to 4 shillings a night for full board in a private room. Alternatively, a private lodging house may be preferable for those wishing to settle down somewhere more permanently. Private lodging houses generally offer private furnished rooms with common sitting rooms and facilities, usually in the form of flats with two or more bedrooms. Board may be provided for an additional fee.

RENTING
Aliens are unable to purchase freeholds in Great Nortend, and must rent from a landlord if they wish to possess property. As everywhere, rents vary depending on the location, size and nature of the property. Assistance may be sought at any good estate agents' office. Tenants of a leased property generally will be required to pay for utilities such as water, coal, gas, and electricity if connected, and to maintain the building. Parochial rates are also payable by the tenant, although messuage tax and land tax are paid by the landlord.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:46 am

TRAIN TRAVEL
Nortish Railways has a wide-ranging network which links all towns, cities and most large villages in the country. Given the condition of the public highways, rail travel is advised for those travelling even short distances through the countryside. Trains are largely steam-drawn, although you will find electric trains in the cities. Tickets must be purchased before travel (except if beginning at an unstaffed halt), either at any railway booking office, or at official ticket agents, and will likely be checked by the guard or conductor during the journey. Train services are scheduled as stopping, through, express or farren trains. Most tickets are not specific to any particular service, and may be used on any trains between the two named stations on the day for which it was issued at or below the appropriate class of travel. A reserved ticket may be obtained to guarantee a seat on a particular service, which may be helpful on particularly busy routes. Travel on most services is offered in three standard classes of third class, second class and first class. Refreshments or dining carriages are available aboard on most express trains and all farren trains. Otherwise, most stations offer some sort of refreshments, buffet or tearoom facilities. Most stations are a short walk to the local settlement centre, and inns and hotels. Most stations are well served by taxi-carriages and local omnibus or tram services. Porters are usually also available to carry or assist with luggage and cases for a tip. Luggage may also be left at the station for a fee, or forwarded on in advance.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 pm

KING'S CADET CORPS FARES

ALL boy cadets must go on troop or patrol fares so that they may prove their zeal and willingness to serve. A fare should allow the boys to take in the fair beauty of the countryside, and to dwell in true comradeship with their fellows, especially those of their own patrols. A fare may last from half a day to a fortnight or more, as the times allow. A day fare should be planned by the troop leaders around once a month, and a one or two night fare once a term. Under officers and serjeants should plan fares to avoid high feasts and other special days, and seek leave from the parson and schoolmasters for their troop's absence at divine service and school, as required.

Equipment
For a half or one day fare, boys should bring only their haversacks with a cold, packed luncheon in a linen bag and flask of water. For a fare of one night or longer, boys need to bring their packs as well. The pack should hold the small stores inside — the tent poles and tent pegs, messing and cooking set (with messing tins, fork, knife, spoon and tea towel), the washing set (with toothbrush, brush, towels, and soap), underclothes, stockings, swimming shorts, the coat if not worn and miscellaneous supplies such as a sewing set, gloves, handkerchief, toilet paper, matches, a knife, rope, a notebook and a pencil. If going for more than a few days, a change of uniform should be brought, and a boot brush and wax. Buckled onto the pack should be the blanket rolled in the tent-sheet.

Several small lanterns and a hand lamp with clear and red lenses should also be carried by the troop, and enough light paraffin. Younger cadets should not carry more than five pounds of equipment, and a pony or mule should be borrowed or hired to carry blankets and tent-sheets and other supplies. Troop leaders and elder boys should carry between themselves the flags and banners, cooking pot, rations, water, axe, hatchet, saw and spade. For longer fares, a packhorse or pony and cart should be borrowed to carry enough food.

Food
Generally it will be most suitable for troops to cook meals together in the common pots and pans from ordinary ingredients. Bread with vegetables, meat, and soup is common. Bread, porridge and fruit is standard fare for breakfast. Tinned rations may also be sought, though these are still cooked in a troop.

Dress
Boys must turn out for fares in full marching dress, with or without the pack as needed. They should wear the cadet field dress with khaki-tan shirt-blouse, black neck-tie, grey bonnet cap, grey-navy short trousers, black belt, grey stockings and boots. In the winter, the coat should be worn, with the grey-navy breeches. Boots, leather gear and metal fittings must be cleaned and polished. Boys must present with appropriate haircuts.

Outline of a Half Day Fare
Fall in after Noon
Faring to destination
Field activities and games
Faring home
Fall out in evening

Outline of a Day Fare
Fall in after Mattins.
Faring to destination
Field activities
Luncheon
Rest and games
Faring home
Fall out in evening

Outline of a One and a Half Day Fare
Fall in after Noon
Faring to destination
Set up camp
Vespers 1800
Supper 1830
Rounds
First Call 2145 (Start of Tapstrike)
Last Call (Lower Banners) 2200 (End of Tapstrike)
Picket Watch
Wake 0600 (Start of Reveille)
Rouse (Heave Banners) 0615 (End of Reveille)
Bathing
Mattins 0630
Breakfast 0700
Field activities
Luncheon 1200
Rest and games
Pack up camp
Faring home
Fall out in evening
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 am

„TO DAY, we face the threat from the Left more strongly than in the last fifty years. It is no longer swathed in red, but still it is sweeping towards our shores, lapping at our beaches and seeking to infiltrate into our people, slowly but surely. It takes on many shapes. Vicious corporatism, inflation and the leaden debts of finance fill the coffers of selfish profiteers giving nothing in return but dealing a deadly strike at the economic security and stability of the nation. We risk being weakened by criminals and traitors beholden to the interests of the global elites who promote peace through war, prosperity through waste, skill through degeneracy and equality through slavery. And worst of all, the devil seeks to poison the minds of the people against their fellow man, against their worthy men and against God, to fashion the people into his own mould of selfish wants, individual wealth and haughty disregard for the common weal, traditional wisdom and true right. Look abroad and we see the symptoms of the disease of the Left. We see decaying societies left without the solemn bands of liegeance and faith, children left without their fathers and mothers and families and a world left in disorder.

„Look abroad and we see the symptoms of the disease of the Left. We see decaying societies left without the solemn bands of liegeance and faith, children left without their fathers and mothers and families and a world left in disorder. We may rightly feel safe from these faraway maladies. For this, we must owe the wisdom of our forefathers, to have voted for 66 nigh-consecutive years of Coalition Governments. The names of Foide, Bokewell, Fivewells, Alsby and Limmes are worthy names to us, for they have brought us the benefits of the modern age while trying to staunch the deadly evils which seemingly must flow from them. We have secured the defence of the Nortish Realm from physical dangers. We have secured the National Treasury from the ruin and raiding of rats international. We have secured generations of Nortish children with the earnest love of God, King and Fatherland in their hearts. We have secured millions of honest employment for the Nortish people and their children and their children’s children.

„For all the good we have achieved in these 66 years, it can all be undone in the twinkling of an eye should the wrong men find themselves in charge. We believe in the inborn right of all Nortchmen, now and for ever, to live in a Nortish commonship of measured plenty, ordered freedom and peaceful safety. What do the others believe in? I therefore recommend to you, messirs and mesdames, to vote for your Coalition candidate at this coming Election, to guarantee the safety of your future, for you, for your children, and for all Nortish men and women.”

A radio broadcast by the Right Noble Lord Treasurer, Sir Spencer de Stornton in November, 2022, in the leadup to the 2022 election.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates