NATION

PASSWORD

The Branding Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed May 20, 2015 10:29 am

Mods have used that excuse before for excluding pretitles, though.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu May 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Mods have used that excuse before for excluding pretitles, though.

"Long" pretitle isn't really a problem. "Offensive" pretitle, that's another matter.

We routinely scan new nation names, so you're unlikely to ever see a proposal from "The Democratic Republic of DickPenis". With a [nation] tag that allowed a pretitle, it would be quite simple for someone to insert "The Cock Smoking Assholes of PerfectlyNormalNation" into international law. We'd never notice it unless somebody pointed it out to us, which doesn't happen often for long-established nations.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 pm

As a general rule, I think "long-established nations" try to avoid conduct that will result in deletion.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu May 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Not-long-established nations can't custom-change their pretitle; I think that's the distinction he was trying to make.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:As a general rule, I think "long-established nations" try to avoid conduct that will result in deletion.

You'd be surprised.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu May 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Mods have used that excuse before for excluding pretitles, though.

"Long" pretitle isn't really a problem. "Offensive" pretitle, that's another matter.

We routinely scan new nation names, so you're unlikely to ever see a proposal from "The Democratic Republic of DickPenis". With a [nation] tag that allowed a pretitle, it would be quite simple for someone to insert "The Cock Smoking Assholes of PerfectlyNormalNation" into international law. We'd never notice it unless somebody pointed it out to us, which doesn't happen often for long-established nations.

The 'WA Member Dolphin Killers' and that ilk?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri May 22, 2015 8:09 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:"Long" pretitle isn't really a problem. "Offensive" pretitle, that's another matter.

The 'WA Member Dolphin Killers' and that ilk?

Hey! I resemble that remark! >:( :p

viewtopic.php?p=16245872#p16245872

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Summary of proposed changes:

• No real consensus on this issue. Players seem to be divided between several mutually exclusive camps
  • Some discussion of adding a code solution (which has NOT been presented to [violet])
  • A somewhat confusing poll, which I haven't the patience to summarize (as people seemed to add or modify poll options during voting)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:29 pm

While the majority of the discussion here was about proposed changes to who may be listed as co-authors, I would say that greater restrictions are in order regarding the creation of a region or nation based on a WA resolution (WSA, anyone?). Basically, a clause which prevents a WA resolution from being used to advertise or publicise a nation, or more importantly, a region.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:53 pm

If World Space Administration (the resolution) was actually created to promote the region, then it may already have been in violation of standing rules anyway. But the WSA region was created after the fact, wasn't it?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:If World Space Administration (the resolution) was actually created to promote the region, then it may already have been in violation of standing rules anyway. But the WSA region was created after the fact, wasn't it?

Yes. However, I remember distinctly in the discussion that people spoke of it as if was 'borderline'. What I'm proposing is to make it not borderline and to make it simply illegal.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:If World Space Administration (the resolution) was actually created to promote the region, then it may already have been in violation of standing rules anyway. But the WSA region was created after the fact, wasn't it?

Yes. However, I remember distinctly in the discussion that people spoke of it as if was 'borderline'. What I'm proposing is to make it not borderline and to make it simply illegal.

That was mostly because the resolution came first, and something can't be retroactively illegal. Besides, if we banned the use of the name of a resolution or comittee after a region formed, people would just create regions to force illegalities, and everything would grind to a halt.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yes. However, I remember distinctly in the discussion that people spoke of it as if was 'borderline'. What I'm proposing is to make it not borderline and to make it simply illegal.

That was mostly because the resolution came first, and something can't be retroactively illegal. Besides, if we banned the use of the name of a resolution or comittee after a region formed, people would just create regions to force illegalities, and everything would grind to a halt.

No, no, I'm talking about the action of making a resolution after the region was already made, which was a concern in the Bitely's WSA redraft thread. It was there that people spoke of it being borderline.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

The Silver Sentinel
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Sentinel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:people would just create regions to force illegalities, and everything would grind to a halt.

That is the single most ingenious thing ever said in this game ever. I cannot believe no one has thought of this before.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:That was mostly because the resolution came first, and something can't be retroactively illegal. Besides, if we banned the use of the name of a resolution or comittee after a region formed, people would just create regions to force illegalities, and everything would grind to a halt.

No, no, I'm talking about the action of making a resolution after the region was already made, which was a concern in the Bitely's WSA redraft thread. It was there that people spoke of it being borderline.

If WA#8, which officially sanctioned WA Building Mgmt's authority over WAHQ, wasn't illegal...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 am

The Silver Sentinel wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:people would just create regions to force illegalities, and everything would grind to a halt.

That is the single most ingenious thing ever said in this game ever. I cannot believe no one has thought of this before.

For better or for worse, it wouldn't work. The mods have a fair amount of discretion and I can't imagine them letting that happen.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The Silver Sentinel wrote:That is the single most ingenious thing ever said in this game ever. I cannot believe no one has thought of this before.

For better or for worse, it wouldn't work. The mods have a fair amount of discretion and I can't imagine them letting that happen.

I'd quite like to see them try, though, just to see whether Frisbeeteria's levels of snark in the resulting smackdown reach atomic levels.

Nataly Anders
Civilian

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nataly Anders » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:49 am

Why is branding even needed at all? If you want to thank people who contributed you can list their names in the OP of the debate thread, in a dispatch, or an NSwiki article.

There is only one time when branding is almost required, which is when the resolution is so dependent on someone else's work that it would be plagiarism without a credit. But given mods have to check that kind of thing anyway, it's not needed.

It seems like the consensus in the NatSov rule thread is towards having mods enforce community standards. So, just ban branding altogether and save everyone the headache.
:hug:
Last edited by Luna Amore on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:04 am

Why would you include a link to the dictionary definition of thread?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:41 am

And why did you copy and paste DSR's post from four months ago, word for word?
The Dark Star Republic wrote:Why is branding even needed at all? If you want to thank people who contributed you can list their names in the OP of the debate thread, in a dispatch, or an NSwiki article.

There is only one time when branding is almost required, which is when the resolution is so dependent on someone else's work that it would be plagiarism without a credit. But given mods have to check that kind of thing anyway, it's not needed.

It seems like the consensus in the NatSov rule thread is towards having mods enforce community standards. So, just ban branding altogether and save everyone the headache.

Nataly Anders wrote:Why is branding even needed at all? If you want to thank people who contributed you can list their names in the OP of the debate thread, in a dispatch, or an NSwiki article.

:hug:
Last edited by Luna Amore on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Phydios wrote:And why did you copy and paste DSR's post from four months ago, word for word?

Because Nataly Anders is a Ukrainian adbot trying to emulate a real user, but lacks the skill to pull it off without copypasta.

It's probably best to report these sorts of events (new user, obvious copypasta) in Moderation. We have ways of neutralizing them.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Phydios wrote:And why did you copy and paste DSR's post from four months ago, word for word?

Because Nataly Anders is a Ukrainian adbot trying to emulate a real user, but lacks the skill to pull it off without copypasta.

It's probably best to report these sorts of events (new user, obvious copypasta) in Moderation. We have ways of neutralizing them.

...Really? I had no idea that they were anything but a legitimate user. I have signatures turned off, so if that's where their advertising was, I didn't see it. Anyway, I'll report cases like this from now on. Thanks.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Phydios wrote:I have signatures turned off

It wasn't in their sig. It's a behavioral thing. Nations with human first and last names who copy intact posts from other users as their first post almost always end up being adbots. The Ukranian spam server proxy just confirmed that.

In any event, enough with this spammer-inspired threadjack. Does anyone have anything further to the Branding discussion?

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Options, as I see them:

1) Eliminate co-authors entirely
2) Maintain the current rule (limit 1 co-author, [nation=short] tags)
2a) Ask the Techies for an optional "Co-author" box to fill in upon submission (to make it easier to maintain the current rule)
3) Expand the limit to 2 or 3 co-authors (*please specify two or three)
4) Adopt the SC approach for Co-Authors
5) Ban co-author listings from the proposal text, but don't necessarily abandon the idea of a custom co-author field. (This option, a blend of 1 and 2a, was not originally in the poll.)

Here's the poll that was proposed, with the one option that was added afterwards. I took the time to summarize the votes on it. I ignored any posts that didn't state a number, as well as any second choices- not because I believed they should be ignored, but because I wanted to keep the summary simple. The number after each name is the ID of the relevant post.

1: 6 (Knootoss- 24540908, Sciongrad- 24540987, Snefaldia- 24542544, Omigodtheyclonedkenny- 24545304, Tzorsland- 24549532, Frisbeeteria- 24549659)
2: None
2a: 4 (Glen-Rhodes- 24543120, Greater Louisistan- 24547077, Bears Armed- 24560396, Railana- 24569866)
3: 3 (Excidium Planetis- 24543156, Defwa- 24551827, Christian Democrats- 24630273)
4: 2 (Mallorea and Riva- 24546721, Losthaven- 24616631)
5: 2 (The Dark Star Republic- 24540704, Sierra Lyricalia- 24560607)

Now, I would vote for option 1. I read the thread as the debate was raging, I reread it entirely just today, and I really don't see why co-authors should have a place in GA proposals. In my opinion, if you want to thank the people that contributed, make a forum thread or a factbook/dispatch and credit co-authors there. If your co-authors only want their name in the WA's books, that's the kind of attitude that should be discouraged. It doesn't contribute to the purpose of the GA. Authorship badges are different- it's perfectly fine to give authors some form of thanks for their contributions. But I think the best author is as anonymous as possible. By all means, submit resolutions under your own name- trying to stay disconnected from your proposal is pretty shady. But don't expect recognition for your efforts. The submission, and especially the passing, of your proposal should be its own reward.
Last edited by Phydios on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 am

This is the "lack of consensus" Mall cited when he ditched the rule? It's clear to anyone that all but two participants want to keep the rule in some form, or create a new co-author box to make it moot. Interesting that one of the two that didn't want to keep the rule was Mallorea and Riva.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium