NATION

PASSWORD

The Joke/Bloody Stupid Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 17, 2015 10:27 am

My attempt:
    Spam, Joke, and Bloody Stupid Proposals

Submitting spam is against the site rules, and this counts for proposals too. If your proposal is illegible, incomprehensible, or silly beyond words, it will be deleted. If you absolutely have to write a joke proposal, post it here but don't submit it to the proposal queue.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun May 17, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 17, 2015 10:29 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:My attempt:

Submitting spam is against the site rules, and this counts for proposals too. If your proposal is illegible, incomprehensible, or silly beyond words, it will be deleted. This counts for joke proposals too: if you absolutely have to write one, post it here but don't submit it to the proposal queue.

Seems good. This part:
If your proposal is illegible, incomprehensible

could justify merging in the Format rule to this. Might as well have one rule to combine Joke, Bloody Stupid, and Format.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sun May 17, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun May 17, 2015 10:31 am

What's better - having more, tightly written rules, or a few, more expansive rules? I agree there's some overlap with format but I worry trying to make it all part of one MegaRule will be unwieldy. Alternatively, you could use anchor tags to cross reference rules ("illegible - see also Format - ").
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun May 17, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun May 17, 2015 10:42 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:could justify merging in the Format rule to this. Might as well have one rule to combine Joke, Bloody Stupid, and Format.

For now, I wouldn't worry about merging rules. We can always do that later. I'd rather have us focus on clarifying each rule individually. When we (hopefully) have a consensus on each of these, we can look at further combining and the like at that time.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm

I think we need to keep these rules as is for Moderator discretion. You never know when someone might try another HIPPOS ARE QUITE LARGE that somehow manages to avoid getting tagged with another violation.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon May 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Except HIPPOS ARE QUITE LARGE wasn't deleted, but failed by a massive margin anyway.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon May 18, 2015 2:55 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:My attempt:

Submitting spam is against the site rules, and this counts for proposals too. If your proposal is illegible, incomprehensible, or silly beyond words, it will be deleted. If you absolutely have to write a joke proposal, post it here but don't submit it to the proposal queue.

This works fine for me, though I'd remove the words B***** S*****. If I have to hear that phrase again I will scream. I swear to God. (People might think I'm joking, but I'm actually quite serious. Those words have actively poisoned forum culture and have been used as a device to prevent intelligent discussion of proposal ideas -- and not just in the Silly/Illegal Proposals thread.)

"Spam, Jokes and Nonsense," perhaps?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon May 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:This works fine for me, though I'd remove the words B***** S*****. If I have to hear that phrase again I will scream. I swear to God. (People might think I'm joking, but I'm actually quite serious. Those words have actively poisoned forum culture and have been used as a device to prevent intelligent discussion of proposal ideas -- and not just in the Silly/Illegal Proposals thread.)

Couldn't agree more.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:This works fine for me, though I'd remove the words B***** S*****.

I worked for an English Company (until, I was made redundant, rehired as a contractor and then had the company taken over by a Canadian and turned into an American company) so "British" English can be BORG like in the way it can infect anyone, but I see no problem with B***** S*****.

Oh and speaking of words, there was a famous musical on Broadway in 1954 that was based on a relative innocent (in the US) word that was grossly offensive in the UK and British English nations.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 am

Was Enodia British? Is that why the rule is called "bloody" stupid?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun May 31, 2015 1:24 pm

This rule could be updated to prevent a repeat of silly holidays, like "Max Barry Day". Observance days like those are just ahead-on conflict with countless political ideologies of member countries.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:49 am

Summary of proposed changes:

• General consensus to combine elements of these rules into the Format rule
  • (Elements of this have also been proposed in the Format thread)
  • General consensus to remove the words "Bloody Stupid" from the ruleset
  • General consensus that spammy proposals deserve to be deleted.
  • Suggested rephrasing:
    The Dark Star Republic wrote:

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:25 pm

TDSR also said that words Bloody Stupid should be removed from the rule heading. I suggested "Spam, Jokes and Nonsense" as an alternative, but alas, got no comment. ;)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium