NATION

PASSWORD

The Real World Violations Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Sat May 16, 2015 12:41 am

Tzorsland wrote:But when the daggers and derringers start being pulled out because someone wants a "40 hour work week" (why look, there is not only the term "hour" but "week" in this one) I just bang my head against wall; it's just plain stupid.

Yes, I remember certain players taking insanely hardline stances on Proposals they didn't like, claiming just about any noun they could find was a real world violation.

And I remember shooting them down and telling them to stop being stupid.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun May 17, 2015 4:09 pm

With thanks to Kenny and DSR, we have this proposed rewording of the rule:
World Assembly laws are written for the world of NationStates and the fictional countries therein, so your proposal shouldn't contain any references to the real world. This includes specific references to real world persons (Barack Obama, Max Barry), places (London, Israel, Mediterranean), organizations/treaties (NATO, Geneva Convention, Google), or events, such as "following 9/11", "in the light of last week's shooting", "before the next presidential election".

Generic references to things that also exist in the world of NationStates are allowed, for example religions (Christianity), political philosophies (capitalism), languages (English), scientific measurements (kg), and phenomena (desertification).

Any other comments? A part of me wonders if the wording wouldn't be clearer to start with what's permitted and follow it with what's not. However, I can also see some overlap between some of the examples (English) and possibly branding (citing my national religion of Mousebumplism would arguably be branding), but that might get a bit too confusing to clarify fully in an optimally concise ruleset.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Sun May 17, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 18, 2015 10:03 am

Mousebumples wrote:With thanks to Kenny and DSR, we have this proposed rewording of the rule:
World Assembly laws are written for the world of NationStates and the fictional countries therein, so your proposal shouldn't contain any references to the real world. This includes specific references to real world persons (Barack Obama, Max Barry), places (London, Israel, Mediterranean), organizations/treaties (NATO, Geneva Convention, Google), or events, such as "following 9/11", "in the light of last week's shooting", "before the next presidential election".

Generic references to things that also exist in the world of NationStates are allowed, for example religions (Christianity), political philosophies (capitalism), languages (English), scientific measurements (kg), and phenomena (desertification).

Any other comments? A part of me wonders if the wording wouldn't be clearer to start with what's permitted and follow it with what's not. However, I can also see some overlap between some of the examples (English) and possibly branding (citing my national religion of Mousebumplism would arguably be branding), but that might get a bit too confusing to clarify fully in an optimally concise ruleset.

As I remarked earlier in this thread, allowing "things that also exist in the world of NationStates" but not "things that only exist in the world of NationStates" would effectively privilege those players whose nations are heavily based on RL concepts over those players who invent more details themselves. Opposed.
Can't we just stick to 'proper nouns' forbidden, other nouns allowed?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Mon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Mousebumples wrote:With thanks to Kenny and DSR, we have this proposed rewording of the rule:

I like the rewording.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon May 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Why don't we call it this.

Real Life Violations

The real world doesn't exist in NationStates. You cannot use RL proper nouns in your proposal. This means that Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin, China, the Earth, and the EU are out.

Your proposal may mention other nouns.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed May 20, 2015 12:43 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:Examples:
  • Barack Obama, Karl Marx, Max Barry

I don't see what would be wrong with an indirect reference to Marx in a resolution.

Recognizing that Marxist scholars consistently have found that so-called "free" trade is used by capitalists and their bourgeois allies to exploit the proletariat...

If there's an exemption for major religions, there should also be an exemption for major political ideologies.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 am

Sure, I was just going off precedent. OMGTKK cut that example anyway.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 21, 2015 9:28 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:Examples:
  • Barack Obama, Karl Marx, Max Barry

I don't see what would be wrong with an indirect reference to Marx in a resolution.

Recognizing that Marxist scholars consistently have found that so-called "free" trade is used by capitalists and their bourgeois allies to exploit the proletariat...

If there's an exemption for major religions, there should also be an exemption for major political ideologies.

So, would I be allowed to reference "O Southwoods-ist scholars", too?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Snefaldia » Thu May 21, 2015 9:31 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I don't see what would be wrong with an indirect reference to Marx in a resolution.

So, would I be allowed to reference "O Southwoods-ist scholars", too?

Are you being serious?
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am

Snefaldia wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:So, would I be allowed to reference "O Southwoods-ist scholars", too?

Are you being serious?

Well, obviously it wouldn't be a RL reference as such, but as I commented earlier it would seem a bit unfair to start allowing RL-based references under a relaxation of this rule while still classing any NS RP-based references as illegal for Meta-gaming and/or Branding...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 am

That's forced roleplay. I suppose its time will come when the Metagaming discussion begins.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:That's forced roleplay. I suppose its time will come when the Metagaming discussion begins.

Well, as far as I know the Bears aren't in a world where Karl Marx existed, so I'd argue that requiring them to recognise his existence is "forced roleplay" too...

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:That's forced roleplay. I suppose its time will come when the Metagaming discussion begins.

Well, as far as I know the Bears aren't in a world where Karl Marx existed, so I'd argue that requiring them to recognise his existence is "forced roleplay" too...

Can't we leave the discussion of that stupid "forced roleplay" rule for the MetaGaming thread?

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat May 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

But then someone could say "Yeah, well my nation is in a world where guns don't exist, so firearms regulations are forced roleplay!" or something stupid like that.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Did you not read the response to that remark? Forced roleplay's time will come; till then, focus on the RL violations rule.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Postby Tzorsland » Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Forced roleplay's time will come

That is almost sig worthy. :twisted:
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun May 31, 2015 1:40 pm

I think that term "dollars" in reference to the Universal Standard Dollar or the NationStates Dollar should also be used, but I do not really object.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:42 am

I would object only to the extent that economies are all over the place so that no real fixed units of currency should be mentioned whatsoever. Monies or funds probably would be better terms in resolutions.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Summary of proposed changes:

• Consensus that the rule is needed, multiple disagreements to the extent it should apply
  • This proposed rewrite appeared to get the most consensus:

• Some discussions about potential or actual overlaps with the Metagaming rule, which have yet to be adequately addressed

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium