NATION

PASSWORD

The Metagaming Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu May 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:proposals that would affect the way players ... roleplay on the forums are illegal. GA proposals may not extend themselves beyond the jurisdiction of the GA as it has been coded by the NationStates staff.

This is the bit that's troubling. Of course proposals can affect the way we roleplay. The WA is fundamentally a roleplay organization. If you don't want to roleplay, then just go debate RL international law in the General forum.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu May 28, 2015 5:28 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:proposals that would affect the way players ... roleplay on the forums are illegal. GA proposals may not extend themselves beyond the jurisdiction of the GA as it has been coded by the NationStates staff.

This is the bit that's troubling. Of course proposals can affect the way we roleplay. The WA is fundamentally a roleplay organization. If you don't want to roleplay, then just go debate RL international law in the General forum.

That's your opinion and how you prefer to play the game. Moderation has not ever forced members who post in the GA to roleplay as ambassadors or delegates or whatnot. To my knowledge, there are no plans among the moderation staff to change this approach.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu May 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:This is the bit that's troubling. Of course proposals can affect the way we roleplay. The WA is fundamentally a roleplay organization. If you don't want to roleplay, then just go debate RL international law in the General forum.

That's your opinion and how you prefer to play the game. Moderation has not ever forced members who post in the GA to roleplay as ambassadors or delegates or whatnot. To my knowledge, there are no plans among the moderation staff to change this approach.

But the proposals themselves are in character, are they not? Real World violations exist because the WA exists in a purely fictional world, so by nature the WA is a roleplay.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:That's your opinion and how you prefer to play the game. Moderation has not ever forced members who post in the GA to roleplay as ambassadors or delegates or whatnot. To my knowledge, there are no plans among the moderation staff to change this approach.

But the proposals themselves are in character, are they not? Real World violations exist because the WA exists in a purely fictional world, so by nature the WA is a roleplay.

Yes and no. They're "role play" as much as issues are role play, in my view. Passed resolutions impact your nation (just like your issue selections do), but not everyone wants to RP as ambassadors or diplomats - and that's their prerogative.
Proud Member of UNOG

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu May 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:But the proposals themselves are in character, are they not? Real World violations exist because the WA exists in a purely fictional world, so by nature the WA is a roleplay.

Yes and no. They're "role play" as much as issues are role play, in my view. Passed resolutions impact your nation (just like your issue selections do), but not everyone wants to RP as ambassadors or diplomats - and that's their prerogative.

Do the issues have a rule against "forced roleplay"?
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

The Metagaming Rule

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Game Mechanics is *necessarily* metagaming, because you are acknowledging that there is a game and there mechanics to it.

The entire point is the metagaming is simply directly acknowledging that there's a game, in any way.

Adding Game Mechanics under Metagaming actually makes it far easier to understand.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu May 28, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Re: The Metagaming Rule

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:But the proposals themselves are in character, are they not? Real World violations exist because the WA exists in a purely fictional world, so by nature the WA is a roleplay.

This is what's makes rules like this confusing. Yes, the WA *is* roleplay. Issues aren't in the WA universe. Neither is really any stat or customizable option in your settings page. Making "stats" part of the WA universe -- even acknowledging that stat effects exist -- is metagaming, because those are all direct aspects of the game that, while they change the parameters of the roleplay universe, they don't "exist" in the universe. They are dice rolls.

We really should move away from this confusing meld of the game-side and the WA forum. That's why this rule is so confusing. We're trying to create a game that's part real and part roleplay, and there's no good way to delineate between the two when aspects of one are being put into the other.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu May 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:This is the bit that's troubling. Of course proposals can affect the way we roleplay. The WA is fundamentally a roleplay organization. If you don't want to roleplay, then just go debate RL international law in the General forum.

You couldn't even if you wanted to. Moderation has no authority over RP per se, except as it violates site rules.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu May 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:That's your opinion and how you prefer to play the game. Moderation has not ever forced members who post in the GA to roleplay as ambassadors or delegates or whatnot. To my knowledge, there are no plans among the moderation staff to change this approach.

You couldn't even if you wanted to. Moderation has no authority over RP per se, except as it violates site rules.

Which is why I don't see how there could be any plans along those lines, yes.
Proud Member of UNOG

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu May 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

I'm not talking about the forum. Players don't even have to post in the forum at all.

I'm talking about resolutions: yes, they absolutely are roleplayed. Maybe not in any really formal sense of roleplay, but simply in that they exist in the NationStates universe. It's why, as others have noted, RL references are illegal.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 am

(my earlier response snipped and above is edited for emphasis)
The Dark Star Republic wrote:I'm not talking about the forum. Players don't even have to post in the forum at all.

I'm talking about resolutions: yes, they absolutely are roleplayed. Maybe not in any really formal sense of roleplay, but simply in that they exist in the NationStates universe. It's why, as others have noted, RL references are illegal.

*scratches head* If you're not talking about forum posts, why did you reference the General Forum? And if your response is all about one's affect on nations, with regards to the Real-World-reference rule, why is it in this thread and not that one?
Proud Member of UNOG

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 am

Mousebumples wrote:*scratches head* If you're not talking about forum posts, why did you reference the General Forum?

There's no gameside equivalent to the General forum. If you want to debate the FIFA arrests, you have to enter the General forum. If you want to legislate on extradition rights, you can write a WA proposal without ever setting foot in the WA forum.
Mousebumples wrote:And if your response is all about one's affect on nations, with regards to the Real-World-reference rule, why is it in this thread and not that one?

Because I'm arguing that the MetaGaming rule should be abolished, because all of the important elements of it are already covered by other rules: Game Mechanics, and RL References. If it would offend your sensibilities less, I suppose I could change my argument to: "it should be abolished because the important elements are covered by other rules but I'm not going to say what those rules are".

Anyway, hopefully having put that typically useless pedantry out of the way, I find it quite shocking to see a moderator suggesting that WA proposals are not roleplayed. Even the Security Council is meant to be in character and that's much less roleplay oriented than the WA! We definitely need clarification on what would be a titanic reversal of policy if this is no longer to be the case.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Fri May 29, 2015 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri May 29, 2015 9:16 am

Is there any part at all that isn't covered by other rules? I am having trouble finding anything. So maybe it is worth seriously considering just getting rid of it, because the quasi-roleplay we have here is just too complicated to have a simple metagaming rule.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Fri May 29, 2015 10:31 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:"Forcing WA legislation on non-member nations" is not metagaming, for example. Non-member nations actually do exist in the WA universe. Forcing legislation upon them is an issue of legal jurisdiction within the universe.

I may be nit picking here. WA legislation stat wanks WA member nations (we call that gnomes writing laws in member nations). WA legislation does not stat wank non WA member nations. You can't say you can "force" legislation on these nations because ... nothing happens in those nations. It's not that the non WA nations do not exist (well actually no other nation exists from your own national perspective, but that's another problem we can ignore for the most part) but that there is nothing the WA can do to impact a non WA member in any manner whatsoever. WA member nations can do whatever they want with non WA members but they only hurt/help themselves in the process. Anything other than that is not only impossible but exposes the man behind the curtain which one might say is a violation of the metagaming rule.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri May 29, 2015 11:31 am

Tzorsland wrote:WA legislation stat wanks

I think you're addicted to this term. :?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Fri May 29, 2015 9:50 pm

As a roleplayer I have to ask: please keep this rule and do not weaken the "forced roleplay" clauses. Authors can always accomodate by using more general language in the drafting stage. Forcing roleplayers to acknowledge that the WA does not recognise their nation concept is far more troublesome.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 am

Tzorsland wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:"Forcing WA legislation on non-member nations" is not metagaming, for example. Non-member nations actually do exist in the WA universe. Forcing legislation upon them is an issue of legal jurisdiction within the universe.

I may be nit picking here. WA legislation stat wanks WA member nations (we call that gnomes writing laws in member nations). WA legislation does not stat wank non WA member nations. You can't say you can "force" legislation on these nations because ... nothing happens in those nations. It's not that the non WA nations do not exist (well actually no other nation exists from your own national perspective, but that's another problem we can ignore for the most part) but that there is nothing the WA can do to impact a non WA member in any manner whatsoever. WA member nations can do whatever they want with non WA members but they only hurt/help themselves in the process. Anything other than that is not only impossible but exposes the man behind the curtain which one might say is a violation of the metagaming rule.

This is a perfect example of the problem. You're justifying the metagaming rule by metagaming yourself. There has to be an in-universe explanation for why we can't write resolutions forcing non-members to do things. That explanation is that the WA's jurisdiction is limited.

However, that doesn't mean WA resolutions cannot *affect* non-members, which is how the rule has been interpreted before. People have even gone so far as to say acknowledging the existence of non-members is a violation of this rule.

We need to move away from caring so much about how the game code works. Just because stat effects aren't placed on non-members doesn't mean that non-members don't exist or can't be legislated about. That just doesn't make sense, and the only people have tried to make sense of it is by metagaming themselves.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat May 30, 2015 11:46 am

I'm tempted to agree with G-R here, assuming he's referring to lines such as "Member states shall not militarily align themselves with non-members who possess and utilize biological weapons." That is and should be legal. As long as the WA is not making direct demands upon non-members, it's fine. I don't mind if (directly) affecting non-members is made a separate rule, if only for clarity. It is somewhat related to metagaming (in the sense that only members, presumably, are inside the chamber making rules; non-members are not party to such agreements), but it may be confusing to link it to more obvious fourth-wall violations.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat May 30, 2015 12:28 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

I just realized something else... issues reference real life. They talk of Nazis, Max Barry's Jennifer Government, and a couple other things I am forgetting. The WA is more roleplay than issues are.

I am going to stand by the argument that the WA is roleplay in every sense, it just happens to be game side roleplay with actual effects on member nations.

Given that other rules already prevent resolutions from referencing things outside the game or directly affecting non-WA members, or changing customizable fields, and other things, I agree with Dark Star here that this rule is pretty much unnecessary for the reasons it was implemented.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

The Metagaming Rule

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun May 31, 2015 8:34 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I'm tempted to agree with G-R here, assuming he's referring to lines such as "Member states shall not militarily align themselves with non-members who possess and utilize biological weapons." That is and should be legal. As long as the WA is not making direct demands upon non-members, it's fine. I don't mind if (directly) affecting non-members is made a separate rule, if only for clarity. It is somewhat related to metagaming (in the sense that only members, presumably, are inside the chamber making rules; non-members are not party to such agreements), but it may be confusing to link it to more obvious fourth-wall violations.

The point I was making is that there must be an in-universe explanation, preferably one that's not a deus ex machina. For directly legislating on non-members, we can say that whatever treaty created the WA says we can't do that. But it's not metagaming in and of itself to legislate on non-member states. When we ask, "Why can't we?" And all we have is to point to the game rule, that's what's actually metagaming.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
Tzorsland wrote:WA legislation stat wanks

I think you're addicted to this term. :?

Very well then ... "Internal Game National Statistical Parameter Adjustments" ... I'm going to have to copy this to a file somewhere. I'll never remember it.
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:This is a perfect example of the problem. You're justifying the metagaming rule by metagaming yourself. There has to be an in-universe explanation for why we can't write resolutions forcing non-members to do things. That explanation is that the WA's jurisdiction is limited.

Why? Seriously, why? I would suggest the opposite, you need a in universe explanation for why you could write a resolution forcing non members to do things.

Do you think it is possible that the United States Congress can write a law that "forces" China to do something? (Note that the US is actually a federal government over 50 "states" so the comparison to member / non member states is valid ... if you prefer you can use the EU as another example.) In the first place, the default should be that WA resolutions must be applied to individual member states. (While this is technically meta-game this is the message you get whenever a resolution is passed.) Non member states are not bound by treaty to modify their own nations accordingly. Yes, we call them all "Resolutions" but's it's a lie; they are technically best described as "treaties" and this should be the in character justification for all WA law.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Tzorsland wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:This is a perfect example of the problem. You're justifying the metagaming rule by metagaming yourself. There has to be an in-universe explanation for why we can't write resolutions forcing non-members to do things. That explanation is that the WA's jurisdiction is limited.

Why? Seriously, why? I would suggest the opposite, you need a in universe explanation for why you could write a resolution forcing non members to do things.

Why would we need an explanation for that? Glen Rhodes is saying there is an in universe explanation for why they can't do that: the WA only has jurisdiction over member nations.

Tzorsland wrote:Do you think it is possible that the United States Congress can write a law that "forces" China to do something? (Note that the US is actually a federal government over 50 "states" so the comparison to member / non member states is valid ... if you prefer you can use the EU as another example.)

That's an in universe explanation. There isn't some metaphysical law that prevents the US from doing that, the explanation is that in the universe the US exists in, the US lacks the jurisdiction to do that.

You are trying to justify an out of universe rule, but why is that rule needed when there are in universe reasons that the WA cannot force non-members to do things?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:50 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Meta-Gaming

Meta-gaming is a difficult to understand category at times, especially since it often shares jurisdiction with Game Mechanics violations. Essentially, a MetaGaming violation is one that breaks "the fourth wall", or attempts to force events outside of the WA itself.

Examples of meta-gaming:
Forcing WA legislation on non-member nations

Bumping this thread as the WA Army thread is resulting in some discussion on having the theoretical WA Army affect non-WA nations. There's been some discussion along those lines already, but I figured it could use a bump.
Proud Member of UNOG

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Summary of proposed changes:

• No consensus - still arguing over definitions
  • Suggestions of crossover/combining with various other rules: Real world, Game Mechanics, and WA Army
  • There have been suggested rewrites, but there does not appear to be strong support behind any of them at this time

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium