NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion for next time...

OH GOD! They're back! The scratching, the moaning, there's blood everywhere! I'm all out of bullets! If anyone can hear this transmission, save yourselves!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Robosia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Robosia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 am

Max Barry lives in Australia. This event is not easier for Americans. I played a little on Monday afternoon, went to sleep, and then woke up to see that everone in my region was dead.
Some people design their sigs as a work of art, with links and colors and complex coding. To which I say...

ACN - Antarctica Continental News | British cargo ship sinks just off Ellsworth coast, water tastes like tea for three days | 10 timber wolves brought into Sanctum City zoo.

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Suggestion for next time...

Postby 95X » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 am

Last year I made a suggestion that was flat-out ignored while being flamed/trolled for doing so.

What irritates me the most is that Site Admin and Moderators seem to ignore any and every question about this event, leading me to publicly wonder any/all of the following:
1. Any and/or all of Max/Violet/Admin(s)/Mod(s) get some sort of personal gratification from running the event and forcing it on peoples browsers while saying 'you don't have to participate.' AFAIC that's fine it's Max's website after all.
2. Tangent of Number 1; but instead merely an extension of the NS Terms & Conditions of Use.
3. Annual social engineering/psychological experiment.
4. Attempt to drive up the number of ads displayed as to increase display ad revenue.

In the meantime, I've come to accept that a site I enjoy visiting changes for 32 hours a year and if I can't/don't login at the start of the event then I'm not going to like what I'm going to come across when I do. Also, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't want to win, either. :twisted:
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 am

95X wrote:Last year I made a suggestion that was flat-out ignored while being flamed/trolled for doing so.

What irritates me the most is that Site Admin and Moderators seem to ignore any and every question about this event, leading me to publicly wonder any/all of the following:
1. Any and/or all of Max/Violet/Admin(s)/Mod(s) get some sort of personal gratification from running the event and forcing it on peoples browsers while saying 'you don't have to participate.' AFAIC that's fine it's Max's website after all.
2. Tangent of Number 1; but instead merely an extension of the NS Terms & Conditions of Use.
4. Attempt to drive up the number of ads displayed as to increase display ad revenue.

In the meantime, I've come to accept that a site I enjoy visiting changes for 32 hours a year and if I can't/don't login at the start of the event then I'm not going to like what I'm going to come across when I do. Also, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't want to win, either. :twisted:

I actually don't like the zombies anymore. It's become old hat because I've seen them too many times, and I have the same issue as other people where missing a couple hours of the event makes it too difficult to participate in any meaningful way.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Vandario
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandario » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 am

USS Monitor wrote:
95X wrote:Last year I made a suggestion that was flat-out ignored while being flamed/trolled for doing so.

I actually don't like the zombies anymore. It's become old hat because I've seen them too many times, and I have the same issue as other people where missing a couple hours of the event makes it too difficult to participate in any meaningful way.

Idk I still have a ton of fun, I look forward to this each year still. I understand if it gets a bit old for some. After what 6 years of it, but I think their are just as many people like myself who really enjoy this when it comes. I am already starting to think about and prepare for next year.
You are a: Right-Leaning Authoritarian Isolationist Nativist Traditionalist
Collectivism score: -33%
Authoritarianism score: 67%
Internationalism score: -50%
Tribalism score: 67%
Liberalism score: -33%
Liberalism score: 0%

Political Compass: http://i.imgur.com/cbmUtGN.png Updated Feb 11th 2017
Political Objective: http://i.imgur.com/JO0drir.png Updated Nov 28th 2016
8 Values Test: http://i.imgur.com/v428sL7.png posted May 7 2017
Another Political Test: http://i.imgur.com/PkMqvzl.png
Nolan Chart: http://i.imgur.com/YB5TYbC.png

A Free Society is an Armed Society
Say no to Social Media kids. NS Stats are kind of silly, I follow my own.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:48 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Give the Cure and Military options the power of force switching nations too.

Doing it with the military option makes sense, though. If your military is invading another country, you could occupy their land and use their resources.

A few of us South Pacificans agreed with this idea when it was brought up on the RMB last night, though that was a random chance in goverment policy from hording to researching, building kill squads, or doing nothing. Another possibility brought up was that if a horder is reduced to zero zombies, their policy changes.

USS Monitor wrote:I actually don't like the zombies anymore. It's become old hat because I've seen them too many times,

But it seems to be the only site-wide event that gets regions cooperating for a common goal.

USS Monitor wrote:I have the same issue as other people where missing a couple hours of the event makes it too difficult to participate in any meaningful way.

Well, running the game on weekends would help some. Also, nations could have a sleep mode in which they're out of the game: they're unaffected by regional zombies, and don't conduct research, build kill squads, or collect hordes. Their superweapons also don't improve while they're asleep. That prevents down time from leaving one with an unplayable nation. (Obviously, "scores" like most survivors would have to be adjusted for this too. "Time-averaged most survivors"? Dunno.)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The Black Hand of Nod
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Black Hand of Nod » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Give the Cure and Military options the power of force switching nations too.

Doing that with the cure option doesn't make much narrative sense. How does developing a cure and exporting it to other nations give you control of their institutions?

Doing it with the military option makes sense, though. If your military is invading another country, you could occupy their land and use their resources.

You could also see it as the invading military passing guns out to the remaining human citizenry to join in the cleansing.
"Your leaders have sold out the human race! Join us and fight!"
|We are the Black Hand, we are the upraised fist, our reach long, our power great, and our judgment swift.|

Hurricania Imperium
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hurricania Imperium » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 am

Maybe a 48-hour event?
Basically a Satanist German Empire.
Everyone's favorite Prussia/German Empire two-in-one nation (And yes, this nation represents both.)
We do NOT use NS Stats of our own unless if we don't note what we use instead.
Copy and paste this into your sig if you think we should colonize other planets.
Leader of the STORM Union (AKA the New Central Powers)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am

Hurricania Imperium wrote:Maybe a 48-hour event?

I would support this, a 32 hour event means some people will sleep only once during the event but others will sleep twice, abusing an unfair advantage.

On another note, why haven't the forums been locked yet? The event finished ages ago.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm

48 hours would be fun.

Anyway, I've participated actively in this for a few years. Some things I have noticed about this iteration and general thoughts:

1- This time, it seems like the military option was better than before. When trying to get the last few hundred million zombies out, a Level 1 Strike Force was actually way more effective for more than the Level 5 cure for me. This is a nice touch- while Cure does way more in the bigger picture, being able to wipe out zombies when their numbers are low enough quickly is a huge boon.
2- Military could do with a bit more still, Either attacking hordes suffer losses- higher the military level, the higher the losses- or taking out the last few zombies converts them into a military option state. Overall though, military was better this year.

Cure was still far more effective and Hordes were super powerful. All it takes is a small handful, maybe even one, really active and powerful zombie empire nations and a region is doomed. Anti-zombie forces must display a higher level of coordination and have numbers on their side to stand a chance. For a region to survive, the majority need to be researching a cure and they need to be protected from zombie empires. But because of the way zombie empires work and the conversion this year being in play, if the zombie empires even have a breath of power when they can coordinate, such efforts are moot.

This event is my favorite and I liked it more than previous ones- the improvements were beneficial to the game. But I think I liked it because in my region we didn't have six to ten nations active at once, coordinating down to the second in moves. The zombies never coordinated and the anti-zombie forces in coordination never were more than three. If more had been active during this time period it actually may have been less fun, as either the zombies would have been gunned down too fast or the region would have been swamped by zombies in hours. The event remains one where it is really easy to get punked if you so much as drive home from work when others get active.

Ideas:
Military- Has a defensive bonus. Based on several factors (Your size, Military Level, opposing size, Horde Level) a nation launching a horde suffers losses to their own nation. Since you are sending your own citizen-zombies to attack as part of the horde, it makes sense that a military nation would gun down many of them before they can accomplish their objective. obviously this would need to be capped as you don't want military nations to be immune.

Cure- I think Cure is in a sweet spot.

Horde- An idea I had was that maybe the level 5 Hordes have a slightly lower cooldown? This represents huge incoming waves of the undead swarming a nation.

Level Based 'Issues' that Exist on the Zombie Control Page:

As you level up your superweapon you get certain events at, say Lvl. 3 and 5. These represent different 'paths' that your response can take.
A military option at Lvl. 3 could be you do something to increase your defensive bonus and massively reduce national infection rates or you gain a boost to your offensive capabilities and can select another nation to reduce their national infection rate dramatically. (In the first, your TZES teams take over the national defense grid and anti-zombie protocol dictates all policy internally while you leave the outside world to rot. In the second, your TZES teams have become experienced enough fighting internationally to blend into other populations and effectively direct foreign internal defense operations)

There would be another issue once you reach lvl. 5, and Cure and Horde would have similar paths. The idea is to add more variance to the three main options. Some nations will focus entirely on themselves and, while not doing less than they are now regionally, won't do more. Others will perhaps put themselves at risk for the good of the region, while zombie nations can either become almost unbreakable zombie masses that can't be eradicated o a giant roving mass of the undead that is a plague upon all others.

It would be a lot of fun to see how many nations would willingly abandon the region if it meant perhaps saving themselves and how many would engage in a deadly struggle for control, There is no option to make you entirely safe- defensively focused military nations can still be horded and regional infection rate still matters- but putting the balance of one or all in the hands of players would be fun to see.

Nassaki
Attaché

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nassaki » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm

I completely forgot. :o :blink:
Wyatt Rozenheimer
King of Nassaki

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:44 pm

I think what should happen is that you choose to participate, and you can start whenever you want, just like N-Day.
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Zombie Emergency Command Center