NATION

PASSWORD

So, what next?

For structured discussion and debate about the future of "raider/defender" gameplay.
Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

So, what next?

Postby Belschaft » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 am

It has now been five months since this area was last posted in. There can be no doubt that that this Summit is over, if only by default. The question is, what next? Do admin intend to resurrect it in a new format, or shut it down? Because leaving this up as a dead forum for all time seems silly.

I open the floor to any and all who have suggestions about how the original intent of this summit, that is to say discussing how Gameplay could be improved, may be met now that this attempt has failed. My own suggestion is that any future try have a more open structure, with participation not being limited to a small group hand picked by the admin team and excluding GP's most active and opinionated members.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:24 am

The summit is over yes; however, that doesn't mean nothing has come from it.

A number of the ideas are going to progress - there's been discussion behind the scenes on that over the last couple of weeks. This forum is to be archived, but there will be an announcement soon (and actually soon) on which ideas we're moving on with. These will be posted in Technical (a thread for each) with an outline of how we intend to implement them, and they will then be opened for further discussion on details.

Once those discussions have taken place, the code-monkeys will be fed the requisite number of bananas, settled down in front of an infinite number of typewriters, and hopefully they'll manage to code something somewhat resembling what we asked for.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Aha.

I was wondering what was going to come of this. Sounds exciting.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:59 am

Awesome, I've been looking forward to it.
Retired

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Please don't destroy R/D.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Isn't opening up the few ideas that have been selected to the entire NS population going to result in the very chaos that this summit sought to dodge?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Isn't opening up the few ideas that have been selected to the entire NS population going to result in the very chaos that this summit sought to dodge?

Maybe, but we got plenty of complaints for being exclusive before. Of course, most of those came from Unibot ...

For a variety of reasons, the summit failed to reach any conclusions. Part of it was the glacial pace and rigid rules, which this would avoid. Part of it was the seasonal timing, which this would avoid. Part of it was the unavailability of Summit Reps (especially [violet]), which this would avoid. And part of it was having a non-gameplayer Chair running the show ... which this will avoid. I think we did a great job of setting the groundwork, but now Sedge and [violet] are ready to run with some of the ideas. For that we need broad input.

Tim-Opolis wrote:Please don't destroy R/D.

That's never been an objective.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 am

So

1. Will this be oriented at gameplay changes, or solely R/D changes?

2. Could we have something like MaxChat where we can all get on IRC and just brainstorm? You know - there are two rooms, one where everyone speaks, and one where just one guy with a voice speaks to the OPs (who will probably be mods). One mod chooses a speaker from the "pool" at a time, etc. I don't know how effective this would be, but if we have a lot of us present and we're looking to brainstorm a bunch of ideas, this may be an effective tool.

3. Will there be a time limit to this new summit (of sorts)?

4. When do you believe this thing could get started?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 am

1. Both, though most are focused on r/d.

2. The brainstorming part isn't really necessary. The changes are decided upon; the purpose of the discussions will be to refine the ideas that are going to be implemented - it'll be looking at the details of them.

3. It's not really a new summit - the discussion of each change will last as long as necessary, but the intention is to implement them over the next year.

4. I'd expect by the end of the month, and ideally sooner. It depends how well the others respond to my nagging.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Ah, okay. Well, I guess the next logical question is.... could we have a small teaser as to what changes have been decided on (#2)?

PrussianEmpire
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrussianEmpire » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Ah, okay. Well, I guess the next logical question is.... could we have a small teaser as to what changes have been decided on (#2)?

I second this proposal.
—« The PrussianEmpire From The East Pacific »—

The contents of the above post represent the views of Exshaw, the Imperial Legion, the United Defenders League, the Founderless Regions Alliance, the New Inquisition, the Black Hawks, the North Pacific, the Alliance Defense Network, the Atlantic Central Command, Francos Spain, Dwight Eisenhower, and the 1998 New York Yankees.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:30 am

Given that the announcement will be up by the end of the week, I don't think it's necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay "R/D" Summit