NATION

PASSWORD

Mass Effect: Embers [Complete]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kandex
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:52 pm

Alright, my app is complete, I think.

I have to ask though:
1. Will I get to do a retropost for the first month.
2. If so, do I get to start building in January with the resource outputs, or is there no basically building if the Raloi have no stockpile left after buying the initial products.
3. Since Colony ships are Heavy Vessels, do they require Military Shipyards to build and can't be built in normal shipyards? If so, I'm going to replace an Urban Area and a Fuel Depot with a Colony Ship in my initial build.
Last edited by Kandex on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:07 am

Track

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:07 am

Kandex wrote:Alright, my app is complete, I think.

I have to ask though:
2. If so, do I get to start building in January with the resource outputs, or is there no basically building if the Raloi have no stockpile left after buying the initial products.
3. Since Colony ships are Heavy Vessels, do they require Military Shipyards to build and can't be built in normal shipyards? If so, I'm going to replace an Urban Area and a Fuel Depot with a Colony Ship in my initial build.

Certainly.

Your pre-purchased infrastructure will produce resources at the beginning of January, so you'll be able to use those resources for construction 'as soon as the RP starts', as it were.

They do, yep. A Colony Ship can be a good investment, but remember the bootstrap effect.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:11 am

Headsup for the lads, by the by - aiming for an update in ~10 hours, so get those posts in.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:12 am

Hi G looks like your giving this another go :)

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:14 am

Grand Phyrexia wrote:Hi G looks like your giving this another go :)

'swoirtenly. As sure as there's sun and tides, old concepts never truly die.

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:18 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Grand Phyrexia wrote:Hi G looks like your giving this another go :)

Mmmm poetry

Well it looks all the major roles have been filled this time around

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:33 am

Grand Phyrexia wrote:

Mmmm poetry

Ah but the Volus, now there's a race that could be great to fill the spot of.
Sincerely, the Turians. :)

I have to ask though:

Certainly.

Your pre-purchased infrastructure will produce resources at the beginning of January, so you'll be able to use those resources for construction 'as soon as the RP starts', as it were.

They do, yep. A Colony Ship can be a good investment, but remember the bootstrap effect.

How would you define the bootstrap effect in this context, I'm only familiar with the vagaries of company mergers etc here.

Kinistian
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinistian » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:34 am

Question G why can a barren moon hold more infrastructure than a barren world

Also can we reclassify Mars? In the wiki it has a population of more than 3 million people and was candidate for terra forming .

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:35 am

Ovstylap wrote:
Grand Phyrexia wrote:Mmmm poetry

Certainly.

How would you define the bootstrap effect in this context, I'm only familiar with the vagaries of company mergers etc here.

There doesn’t appear to be a Volus this time around. I assumed they were extinct or were absorbed by the Turians.

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:36 am

I'm thinking about introducing a named Vorcha, and probably putting a bit of attention on the under-construction Frigates and their to-be crew in a Frivolity post potentially. Could be interesting
Feel free to call me Granger

Alternate NS accounts include The Pinelands, Stories of the Interloper War and Moroseraiqus

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 am

Grand Phyrexia wrote:
Ovstylap wrote:

There doesn’t appear to be a Volus this time around. I assumed they were extinct or were absorbed by the Turians.

If you submit an app of any of the races or polities not already present in the OOC, I am pretty sure that G will draw up your pros and cons for you, that's how the custom factions got in, and got their perks.

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:49 am

Ovstylap wrote:
Grand Phyrexia wrote:

If you submit an app of any of the races or polities not already present in the OOC, I am pretty sure that G will draw up your pros and cons for you, that's how the custom factions got in, and got their perks.

….. HEY G! If I’m Volus can I have perks that help with the new economy while limiting military? I want to use the Volus to help rebuild the galaxy just a little bit faster:)

Kandex
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:59 am

I have to ask though:

Certainly.

Alright, thanks! I've thought of the bootstrap effect, but estimate that in the first few months, I'll quickly run into a bottleneck that leads me burn pretty much the entire time my Reclaimers advantage is active waiting to finally be able to build a colony ship if I don't already have one, while being forced to pay through the nose for orbital structures and space stations due to my technological backwater disadvantage in the meantime if I want to build anything in that time.

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:06 am

Kinistian wrote:Question G why can a barren moon hold more infrastructure than a barren world

Also can we reclassify Mars? In the wiki it has a population of more than 3 million people and was candidate for terra forming .

I asked the first question previously, and it is to do with the gravity wells. It is prohibitively more expensive to build infrastructure and transport resources into orbit from a spacebody with higher mass, than it is to do it from one of its satellites.

Like how it would take less fuel to launch from the Moon, than it would to launch from Earth.

On the second question, OP's discretion but I would imagine it's a similar case for you as it was for me with Digeris, with them being Terran worlds only.

Kandex
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:24 am

Hmm, I think I'm going to make some significant changes on my starting buildings.

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:56 am

Hmmm here is a summary of the Volus government, they pay taxes to the Turians lol

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:57 am

Ovstylap wrote:How would you define the bootstrap effect in this context, I'm only familiar with the vagaries of company mergers etc here.

Super simple - non-producing assets aren't necessarily a wise investment for initial funds, because they are non-producing. If I have a Dreadnought instead of an Urban Area, that Urban Area is going to produce hundreds of Credits over the course of the RP, which can be used to build further Urban Areas, etc. The Dreadnought, on the other hand, for most folks won't add anything to their economy. So diverting resources to a military is a balancing act, since you're strangling your economy (but a losing war will probably strangle it even more thoroughly).

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike wrote:I'm thinking about introducing a named Vorcha, and probably putting a bit of attention on the under-construction Frigates and their to-be crew in a Frivolity post potentially. Could be interesting

Named Vorcha are exactly the type of characters I want to see out of Heshtok :P

Grand Phyrexia wrote:….. HEY G! If I’m Volus can I have perks that help with the new economy while limiting military? I want to use the Volus to help rebuild the galaxy just a little bit faster:)

Certainly. The Volus are actually exactly who I am looking to fill.

Kandex wrote:Alright, thanks! I've thought of the bootstrap effect, but estimate that in the first few months, I'll quickly run into a bottleneck that leads me burn pretty much the entire time my Reclaimers advantage is active waiting to finally be able to build a colony ship if I don't already have one, while being forced to pay through the nose for orbital structures and space stations due to my technological backwater disadvantage in the meantime if I want to build anything in that time.

Fair enough! I made much the same calculation for the Geth, so I can hardly criticize you coming to the same conclusion if you have a plan for that colony ship.

Ovstylap wrote:I asked the first question previously, and it is to do with the gravity wells. It is prohibitively more expensive to build infrastructure and transport resources into orbit from a spacebody with higher mass, than it is to do it from one of its satellites.

Like how it would take less fuel to launch from the Moon, than it would to launch from Earth.

Quite right. That, plus the relative economic viability of natural satellites is enhanced by their proximity to other worlds. Shipping goods from Luna to the Earth, for instance, can be far more cost-efficient than shipping them to Thessia.

On the second question, OP's discretion but I would imagine it's a similar case for you as it was for me with Digeris, with them being Terran worlds only.

It really depends - in Mars' case, we're talking about a world with effectively no ability to support a biosphere at present, which pretty much disqualifies it from Hostile or Terran. If someone were to terraform it we could certainly upgrade her classification, but generally speaking Mars is too small, too cold, and lacks amicable conditions to give her a status better than 'Barren', humanity's colonization notwithstanding.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:16 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Super simple - non-producing assets aren't necessarily a wise investment for initial funds, because they are non-producing. If I have a Dreadnought instead of an Urban Area, that Urban Area is going to produce hundreds of Credits over the course of the RP, which can be used to build further Urban Areas, etc. The Dreadnought, on the other hand, for most folks won't add anything to their economy. So diverting resources to a military is a balancing act, since you're strangling your economy (but a losing war will probably strangle it even more thoroughly).

There is a small part of me that regrets not going for a militaristic faction and just dumping as much of my starting credits into an early fleet as I could get away with.

I would have been crushed by those in possession of more than a single braincell and a functional economy, but by jove it would have been a fun romp.

- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

Grand Phyrexia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Phyrexia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:37 am

Sounds like Stellaris multiplayer

Kandex
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:09 am

I think I've finished editing my app. I assumed there's no limi to the number of mining ships inside of a system, right?

Turkducken
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Turkducken » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 am

alright sorry for the tardiness, a full load of college is a lot
Discord: Turkducken#3718

That's a She/Her from me Boss

Metal...Gear?!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:31 am

Kandex wrote:I think I've finished editing my app. I assumed there's no limi to the number of mining ships inside of a system, right?

There is not, nope, though keep in mind they do tend to die quickly if attacked, as compared to planetary installations.

Turkducken wrote:alright sorry for the tardiness, a full load of college is a lot

Glad to hear you are still with us!

Turkducken
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Turkducken » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:41 am

Maybe it'll be a bit fast paced, but here's hoping the Krogan get to speak to whatever remains of the Council and do diplomacy.
Discord: Turkducken#3718

That's a She/Her from me Boss

Metal...Gear?!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:46 am

Turkducken wrote:Maybe it'll be a bit fast paced, but here's hoping the Krogan get to speak to whatever remains of the Council and do diplomacy.

Sounds like fun to me. I'm personally considering whether or not a virtual Geth presence in Sol could be justifiable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse