NATION

PASSWORD

Mass Effect: Embers [Complete]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 1:33 pm

Bentus wrote:Just to check, can Barren and Hostile worlds have 1 Industrial Complex (not major) built on their surface? And are we allowed to have both a major and a minor spaceport on the same planet?

Edit:
Kandex wrote:I think I'll probably be going with the Volus, yeah.

Trading buddies! The Spice must flow.

They can, yep. Just no majors.

You can indeed stack Major and Minor Spaceports - indeed I would recommend to do so, usually on your capital world to start out with.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 2:14 pm

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike wrote:
Elerian wrote:Well a couple apps I believe said something about decades or centuries having passed, and I seem to remember G’s IC intro saying decades plural so that’s gotten me confused.

Well IC date is 2204 I believe, and the Reaper War happened in 2186 soooo... Yeah, 18 years

+1

I'm perfectly happy with the words 'decades' being accurate enough for my purposes to describe a period of 18 years. I suppose I could call it, ah, a 'fortyear', perhaps? But eh, not fussed.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Kandex
Spokesperson

Founded: May 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm

I was thinking the Volus but now I think of it, the Raloi are completely blank slate...

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Tue May 30, 2023 3:00 pm

Kandex wrote:I was thinking the Volus but now I think of it, the Raloi are completely blank slate...

Ahhh, the Raloi eh?
I suppose someone had to fill in the avian-shaped void that I left in the wake of re-applying as the Vorcha(??). Good luck with the Raloi if you choose them, hopefully you can do them more glory than I!
Feel free to call me Granger

Alternate NS accounts include The Pinelands, Stories of the Interloper War and Moroseraiqus

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm

Kandex wrote:I was thinking the Volus but now I think of it, the Raloi are completely blank slate...

The Raloi are available, to be sure. You'll have a bit of a slower start there than with the Volus, but that all just depends on what you want out of this RP.

Kandex
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Tue May 30, 2023 4:08 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:

The Raloi are available, to be sure. You'll have a bit of a slower start there than with the Volus, but that all just depends on what you want out of this RP.

I get that. I might still do Volus, but I find the fact that the Elcor knew them from centuries before but only just have they only built a space telescope in the last couple decades suggests a society that might have been pretty advanced but just chose not to look outward. Then it was a very quick decision for them to go into hiding from the reapers by trying to fake pre-FTL

So I've been playing with the idea of them being a subterranean civilization that at some early point learned of the reaper cycle and decided on a strategy of hiding out until it passed, after which they'd claim an empty galaxy. Viewed that way, the telescope could have just been an attempt to 'take a peak' which they got caught in. The H7N7 virus during opening ceremonies could have also been an excuse to strictly control who came in contact with other races. But now with the reapers out of the picture, they decide that there's no option but just to take their place on the galactic stage now.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm

Kandex wrote:

I get that. I might still do Volus, but I find the fact that the Elcor knew them from centuries before but only just have they only built a space telescope in the last couple decades suggests a society that might have been pretty advanced but just chose not to look outward. Then it was a very quick decision for them to go into hiding from the reapers by trying to fake pre-FTL

So I've been playing with the idea of them being a subterranean civilization that at some early point learned of the reaper cycle and decided on a strategy of hiding out until it passed, after which they'd claim an empty galaxy. Viewed that way, the telescope could have just been an attempt to 'take a peak' which they got caught in. The H7N7 virus during opening ceremonies could have also been an excuse to strictly control who came in contact with other races. But now with the reapers out of the picture, they decide that there's no option but just to take their place on the galactic stage now.

Hmm. Plausible. It could also be the case that their society advances slowly, or the Elcor ran into them at a particularly early point in their history. But I don't hate that idea.

Kandex
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kandex » Tue May 30, 2023 5:34 pm

Kandex wrote:

Hmm. Plausible. It could also be the case that their society advances slowly, or the Elcor ran into them at a particularly early point in their history. But I don't hate that idea.

I'm kind of starting to think: realtively young race that finds and repurposes (Prothean?) technology that they don't quite understand inside of their world. They develop a sort of techno-relgious attachment to it and the notion that the galaxy will have its slate wiped clean for them to claim. When they do get a delegation sent to the citadel to learn about the galaxy, they develop a sympathy for the races of the galaxy and a belief that they should reseed the galaxy with them after the reapers are finished.

So they bring back both the knowledge of how to actually make proper use of the technology they've been using and also genetic samples of the other sentient species of the galaxy, which they go into hiding with, while developing their underground civilization with what they've learned. When they remerge, they realize they have to confront the fact that they won't get to play the reclamation role they expected.

How's that sound?

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016

Postby The Empire of Tau » Tue May 30, 2023 6:24 pm

Can I repurpose my colony ship for exploration?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 6:37 pm

Kandex wrote:

I'm kind of starting to think: realtively young race that finds and repurposes (Prothean?) technology that they don't quite understand inside of their world. They develop a sort of techno-relgious attachment to it and the notion that the galaxy will have its slate wiped clean for them to claim. When they do get a delegation sent to the citadel to learn about the galaxy, they develop a sympathy for the races of the galaxy and a belief that they should reseed the galaxy with them after the reapers are finished.

So they bring back both the knowledge of how to actually make proper use of the technology they've been using and also genetic samples of the other sentient species of the galaxy, which they go into hiding with, while developing their underground civilization with what they've learned. When they remerge, they realize they have to confront the fact that they won't get to play the reclamation role they expected.

How's that sound?

Inside of their world? I'm quite happy with the idea of the Raloi surviving via hiding, but keep in mind that advanced Prothean tech is exactly the type of thing that would have made it very difficult for them to avoid the Reapers' attention. Re-seeding the galaxy though, that's a unique take on the Raloi to be sure.

The Empire of Tau wrote:Can I repurpose my colony ship for exploration?

If by repurpose, you mean 'can I send a colony ship along on an expedition', the answer is a definite yes. Any vessel you want can go along on an expedition, no restrictions there. Does the colony ship provide any particular benefit for her lack of armaments and relative expense? Well, no, not as such.

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Postby The Empire of Tau » Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:If by repurpose, you mean 'can I send a colony ship along on an expedition', the answer is a definite yes. Any vessel you want can go along on an expedition, no restrictions there. Does the colony ship provide any particular benefit for her lack of armaments and relative expense? Well, no, not as such.

So, one or two destroyers can do the job fine then?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Tue May 30, 2023 7:17 pm

The Empire of Tau wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:If by repurpose, you mean 'can I send a colony ship along on an expedition', the answer is a definite yes. Any vessel you want can go along on an expedition, no restrictions there. Does the colony ship provide any particular benefit for her lack of armaments and relative expense? Well, no, not as such.

So, one or two destroyers can do the job fine then?

Might do the job just fine, absolutely.

"While any ships could be used, larger ships are better suited to the vagaries of an expedition. Mining Ships can accompany these expeditions to give bonuses to success."

The Empire of Tau
Minister

Postby The Empire of Tau » Tue May 30, 2023 7:47 pm

If I'm reading this right, I need 250/500 credits for exploring?

Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Wed May 31, 2023 1:08 am

Heya G-tec!
So I'm looking at the defences, and I need to ask the pertinent question of whether it'd fall under the uh... "General Infrastructure" label that'd no doubt be drawn-back because of the "Endless Savagery" perk the whole Duumvirate has going on

So, should I add extra cost to defence building because of the perk? Or does it not apply?

Alternate NS accounts include The Pinelands, Stories of the Interloper War and Moroseraiqus

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Wed May 31, 2023 2:04 am

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike wrote:Heya G-tec!
So I'm looking at the defences, and I need to ask the pertinent question of whether it'd fall under the uh... "General Infrastructure" label that'd no doubt be drawn-back because of the "Endless Savagery" perk the whole Duumvirate has going on

So, should I add extra cost to defence building because of the perk? Or does it not apply?

Defences don't count as Infrastructure, I had the same query! Only Planetary infrastructure counts as General Infrastructure

Question: Can I jump into a known system in my home cluster, which is not explored, and gain data on what is happening there? Can I jump into the system and begin repairing the relay immediately, IF, I had the resources? Can I start colonising a system in my local cluster without repairing the Relays?
Last edited by Ovstylap on Wed May 31, 2023 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Wed May 31, 2023 2:26 am

Ovstylap wrote:Defences don't count as Infrastructure, I had the same query! Only Planetary infrastructure counts as General Infrastructure

Neat!
Though you'll understand if I still wait specifically for G-tec's own answer for this? Perhaps he has different visions for how the "Endless savagery" drawback would apply/not apply for defence building

Ovstylap
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ovstylap » Wed May 31, 2023 2:47 am

Ovstylap wrote:Defences don't count as Infrastructure, I had the same query! Only Planetary infrastructure counts as General Infrastructure

Neat!
Though you'll understand if I still wait specifically for G-tec's own answer for this? Perhaps he has different visions for how the "Endless savagery" drawback would apply/not apply for defence building

Of course, better safe than sorry!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 31, 2023 3:56 am

The Empire of Tau wrote:If I'm reading this right, I need 250/500 credits for exploring?

Need is a strong word - you can explore with absolutely no preparation or supplies if you feel so inclined. 500 is the recommended investment though.

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike wrote:Heya G-tec!

Nope; Defenses are Defenses, not Infrastructure.

@ Ovs: Yes to all - though as the Turians, your relay begins repaired.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed May 31, 2023 5:47 am

Finally tossed up an initial post and am curious if anyone would be interested in a bit of a joint project. Planning to build a military shipyard that is "privately owned" and can be used by whoever is willing to pay. The idea would be that folks offer to spend a certain number of credits to get a ship built, with the amount above the base cost being profit.

Since trying to get 500 industry (more actually, due to perks) together is going to take a while, figure it'd be fun to see if anyone else would like to get involved. Profits would get split based upon the percentage contribution to the cost of the shipyard.
Last edited by Bentus on Wed May 31, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 31, 2023 5:49 am

Bentus wrote:Finally tossed up an initial post and am curious if anyone would be interested in a bit of a joint project. Planning to build a military shipyard that is "privately owned" and can be used by whoever is willing to pay. The idea would be that folks offer to spend a certain number of credits to get a ship built, with the amount above the base cost being profit.

Since trying to get 500 industry (more actually, due to perks) together is going to take a while, figure it'd be fun to see if anyone else would like to get involved. Profits would get split based upon the percentage contribution to the cost of the shipyard.

The Consensus -would- be interested but, yknow, I don't think the invitation is really for them :P

Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Wed May 31, 2023 6:29 am

Bentus wrote:Since trying to get 500 industry (more actually, due to perks) together is going to take a while, figure it'd be fun to see if anyone else would like to get involved. Profits would get split based upon the percentage contribution to the cost of the shipyard.

Yeah, you're uhh... Right
Thing is, either I or The corporate states of Astavar will have to get a Military Shipyard up sooner or later so we're not locked into the Shrike Abyssal for too long. I'm trying to have the Duumvirate save up for one of those but it's gonna take... A while

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 31, 2023 6:33 am

Bentus wrote:Since trying to get 500 industry (more actually, due to perks) together is going to take a while, figure it'd be fun to see if anyone else would like to get involved. Profits would get split based upon the percentage contribution to the cost of the shipyard.

Yeah, you're uhh... Right
Thing is, either I or The corporate states of Astavar will have to get a Military Shipyard up sooner or later so we're not locked into the Shrike Abyssal for too long. I'm trying to have the Duumvirate save up for one of those but it's gonna take... A while

Oh don't worry about that overmuch. Heavy ships are more for expansion, not merely leaving your home cluster:

"By default activating a Relay requires a Heavy Vessel in orbit, 200 Material, and three months, and should be regarded as the first step in a faction expanding into a new region. Relay Activation may also be begun without a Heavy Vessel if a faction has constructed at least 50% of the available Urban Areas that system can possess."

So all you need to do is some construction in Xe Cha and you'll be good to go.

Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike » Wed May 31, 2023 6:38 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Oh don't worry about that overmuch. Heavy ships are more for expansion, not merely leaving your home cluster:

"By default activating a Relay requires a Heavy Vessel in orbit, 200 Material, and three months, and should be regarded as the first step in a faction expanding into a new region. Relay Activation may also be begun without a Heavy Vessel if a faction has constructed at least 50% of the available Urban Areas that system can possess."

"All you need to do", he says
Well if Astavar and I come to some sort of agreement and share the burden, that might be feasible?

EDIT: Oh, I just read the "A faction" part of that. Well, I doubt sharing the burden of colonising Xe Cha is a thing then, hah
Yeah that makes things even harder
Last edited by The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike on Wed May 31, 2023 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Oh don't worry about that overmuch. Heavy ships are more for expansion, not merely leaving your home cluster:

"All you need to do", he says
Well if Astavar and I come to some sort of agreement and share the burden, that might be feasible?

EDIT: Oh, I just read the "A faction" part of that. Well, I doubt sharing the burden of colonising Xe Cha is a thing then, hah
Yeah that makes things even harder

Well, not harder - different. You can either colonize Xe Cha and spend Credits to put up Urban Areas, or save your Industry shekels for military hardware - totally up to you.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Wed May 31, 2023 7:50 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:The Consensus -would- be interested but, yknow, I don't think the invitation is really for them :P

Illium isn't one to discriminate against potential business partners, although that would certainly be a doozie. Could be fun though if there isn't much interest from anyone else. The geth could potentially approach Ramak and Bryan and make them an offer they can't refuse. Might be best to do it after the geth have established relations with the rest of the galaxy and at least announced that they don't intend to go all genocidal on everyone.

The Epic Notepad of GrangerAirstrike wrote:Yeah, you're uhh... Right

If you want help splitting the cost of the shipyard, this could be a way to do it! My thinking is that construction priority will be assigned based on potential monthly profit - with Illium itself having no inherent right to jump the queue. The one caveat would be that I'd need to activate my own relay first in order to send something your way. But that could easily be a condition of the Duumvirate's support.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse